Ghost thief got nerfed this patch, ya happy?

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

So what we need to do is find ever thing that can be explored in pve that will effect wvw and make a video of that exploitation and post it on reddit? Got to go though a lot to get fixes in wvw.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

K.O. finally. Took them long enough.

Yea. I’m just kittened it took until someone soloed a raid boss for Anet to actually do something

Wait wait wait… did that really happen?
I would think bosses would have built in see through stealth mechanics.

LOL.

Yep. He posted a link to the almost 2.5 hour video soloing that sloth raid boss with a ghost theif. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5yy0yl/slothasor_solo_kill/

It took them only 16 days from the time that was posted on Reddit to finally do something about ghost thief, when WvW players have been complaining about it for months.

My observations: at least 1 player here had suggested many weeks ago that damage be added to thief traps so the thief will be revealed when the trap is triggered. It’s been suggested multiple times before the most recent balance update.

Months of complaints about ghost thief in WvW: nothing done about it.

Show you can solo a raid boss with it: Oh Lord Almighty! We can’t have that! Nerf it ASAP!

*years of complaints….

QFT. At least 2 yrs ppl been asking for nerfs. Like condi Mesmer in some ways. And HoT made them both even stronger(I don’t complain though, I like tough fights unless I’m trying to get across the map). Though over 3/4 of the condi Teefs are/have been horribad at the game. There’s more good condi Chronos lately it seems. IMO it’s because it’s been the PvP meta for a while now and it’s an easy build to be good at.

Common guys… Enough with the knee jerk reactions.

First of all, you gotta give props to the thief. Anyone who’s willing to try this, have the patience to go through this for 2.5 hours, and not kitten up has to be given credit where it’s due.

Second, he’s not even running an HOT build. So, get your facts strait when complaining here. The ghost thief issue has more to do with trapper runes, which came out years ago.

Third, the issue with the video is that he’s not being affected by the floor poison due to being in stealth. That seems like a massive oversight by the devs on the mechanics of this boss, not a trap thief.

I really think they added this because of all the pvpers and WvWers complaining, not because of this video. If they had an issue here, then they would have made it so that the floor poison was applied to players in stealth.

True ghost thieves are a joke. The more devestating ones are the ones who actually do more then set traps, like hit you with a pistol stealth attack over and over again. The only time a ghost thief is a problem is when there’s more than one. A couple cleanses negates most of the damage. They’re more like gnats than anything to worry about.

The argument can’t be made for guardian traps because guards don’t have access to stealth before setting the trap. They also have an obvious animation, so you can see where they’re setting the trap. Guards don’t have a trap that stuns or disables you. Forcing you to take all the damage. One can easily dodge out or through avoiding most or all of the damage. The only issue is dragon maw, which requires either stab or a blink, but is still avoidable.

Ranger traps are more of an issue as a ranger does have access to stealth and can sneak up on you. They are also heavy on condi damage and also knock you down, forcing you to take most of the damage from them. But if you have a stun break, then you can avoid some of the damage, but not most of it like guardian traps.

So, it really is not fair to compare ghost thief traps to the other classes.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

Thanks to that PvE guy for soloing a raid boss.

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

@Spurnshadow – Considering the last balance patch actually buffed tripwire, needle trap and caltrops, there is no way that Anet was going to nerf this build until the raid boss solo video popped up.

The nerf came about directly because of that. Anyone who believes otherwise is just wishful thinking

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

I’m happy. I can finally delete my ghost thief toon and make a 4th necro. Why I have so many necros I am unsure.

in WvW

Posted by: ProDecius.2609

ProDecius.2609

@Spurnshadow – Considering the last balance patch actually buffed tripwire, needle trap and caltrops, there is no way that Anet was going to nerf this build until the raid boss solo video popped up.

The nerf came about directly because of that. Anyone who believes otherwise is just wishful thinking

Wow that’s sad, but hey I still feel like dancing. Good riddance

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Or you’re doing like so many other and just believing what you want to believe. They buffed a lot of those utilities, sure, because they sucked in any context other than ghost thief and that shouldn’t be the case. They also buffed other classes and changed light fields directly in response to WvW balance. More likely than anything else, they felt that the other changes would circumstantially bring the ghost thief into balance, which it didn’t. That’s why we’re seeing the change now.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

K.O. finally. Took them long enough.

Yea. I’m just kittened it took until someone soloed a raid boss for Anet to actually do something

Wait wait wait… did that really happen?
I would think bosses would have built in see through stealth mechanics.

LOL.

Yep. He posted a link to the almost 2.5 hour video soloing that sloth raid boss with a ghost theif. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5yy0yl/slothasor_solo_kill/

It took them only 16 days from the time that was posted on Reddit to finally do something about ghost thief, when WvW players have been complaining about it for months.

My observations: at least 1 player here had suggested many weeks ago that damage be added to thief traps so the thief will be revealed when the trap is triggered. It’s been suggested multiple times before the most recent balance update.

Months of complaints about ghost thief in WvW: nothing done about it.

Show you can solo a raid boss with it: Oh Lord Almighty! We can’t have that! Nerf it ASAP!

And whenever I say that they balance for PvE, people deny it.

It’s so pitifully obvious they just do not care about the competitive formats at this point that I really have nothing left to say.

Or you’re doing like so many other and just believing what you want to believe. They buffed a lot of those utilities, sure, because they sucked in any context other than ghost thief and that shouldn’t be the case. They also buffed other classes and changed light fields directly in response to WvW balance. More likely than anything else, they felt that the other changes would circumstantially bring the ghost thief into balance, which it didn’t. That’s why we’re seeing the change now.

The change to light fields is literally a slap in the face for the WvW folks, btw. It’s just a running joke because of just how terrible the idea is that it’d actually have any effect on the game. ANet’s move to this exemplifies that they’re actually just totally clueless about the state of the competitive formats, WvW in particular.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in WvW

Posted by: FOKOZUYNEN.8206

FOKOZUYNEN.8206

remove STealth from Thief …Remove Traps…..low damage ….Remove evades…remove mobility and in the end evryone will play guards wars druid and reverants nerf nerf nerf……did any of you woundered if is not the THIEF OP and is you that play so bad and stay AFK evrywhere? or you go with canon glass build around with no protection escapes condi remove at all and when you die you all come here to cry. Anyway this is Nerf Wars 2 ….first they boost damage to much and after they lower the damage little by littler to one by one creating unbalanced professions….so now is seassone for thief …no no thief got nerf is seasone for guardians….next will be nerf for condi guards and another professiion will be around WvW in big number. So boring when is all so predictibile.

in WvW

OriOri.8724

Thief still has stealth

Thief still has ridiculously high damage on their auto attacks

Thief still has the highest amount of evades by far

Thief still has absolutely insane mobility

What are you even getting on about?

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Saw a “GT” yesterday…he clearly didnt get the memo. When he revealed himself from traps, he kept running. Got a whisper stating I was revealing him by hackign and he was reporting me. I asked him to report me for him revealing himself when i trigger his traps and offered him 1g to do so. I advised him to check patch notes. Needless to say, never heard back from him after (he blocked me)

I tried GT fior kicks…was fun for about an hour and that was pretty much it. Now I can finally break down my GT condi gear.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: saberz.2946

saberz.2946

Love how the only people complaining are the ones rhat cant fight a ghost theif. So when is anet taking away gyro that finishes people for engi? Or taking away that deadly gravedigger for necros? Or taking away stubs for days on warrior? Just curious. They nerf one class because people whined like little kids not being able to kill the ghost theifs. Y not nerf other classes as well and make it a fair line-up?

in WvW

Posted by: saberz.2946

saberz.2946

Trapper rune full set gives 2 seconds of stealth per trap. So u need to fix the trapper rune as well. If i am fighting and i lay a trap i should get stealth. Its stated right on the rune. Fix it anet.

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Love how the only people complaining are the ones rhat cant fight a ghost theif. So when is anet taking away gyro that finishes people for engi? Or taking away that deadly gravedigger for necros? Or taking away stubs for days on warrior? Just curious. They nerf one class because people whined like little kids not being able to kill the ghost theifs. Y not nerf other classes as well and make it a fair line-up?

If I know there are GTs roaming, I take my mallyx rev and easily take em out with little effort. It has nothing to do with not knowing how to fight them, its about the integrity of WvW. I know if some peopl ewho left WvW because of the increased sighting (or lack there of i guess…seeing how thats the idea is to not see it). Very few builds even have a chance at it. With this nerf, they are coming back. Ghost Teefs were toxic to WvW in a general sense. Yeah you have other cheese/low skill builds (condi chrono…most berzerker…etc) but nothing compared to this.

Before you start judging those who either have issues, or who can fight them but are just sick of coming across them, maybe check some other facts and stop bringing that PvP toxicity into it.

/rant

in WvW

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

I’m not a particular fan of this update – ghost thieves were annoying, but they creatively used otherwise dead skills/traits and were largely ineffective against groups or classes with reveal or short cooldown condi cleanses. Hell, some classes, like mesmer, could just passively laugh off the traps through their chaos traitline. Now, as a fix, we have harsh nerfs on traps that are unquestionably less effective and harder to land than Guardian or Ranger traps.

… I mean, isn’t that what a thief is? A dirty fighter who doesn’t play fair? Or are we all supposed to be penalised for not acting like psudo-warriors, forced to jump headfirst into the frey “because we have mobility”?

I think we need to support diversity of play, rather than stamping it out.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Seems to me the only ones complaining are the terribad players that were leaning on the ghost thief crutch.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Seems to me the only ones complaining are the terribad players that were leaning on the ghost thief crutch.

+10 this…this guy gets it

in WvW

Westenev.5289

To be fair, the ones who complain about thief one-hit dps, thief stealth and thief ghost trapping are usually the ones who get hit the hardest, but never tried to learn to fight or join the so called “winning team”.

I mean, as a ghost trapper, you’re expending ALL your initi trying to remain hidden. This caused somewhat of a tradeoff, especially given you could only attack three (four, if you count steal) times every 20 seconds. The only ones that had anything to fear were people who didn’t run condi cleanses… which should be pretty commonplace in wvw, given the condi meta.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

never had a problem with it. anoying that i can´t catch good thiefs but that´s it. They usually don´t kill me and any tryhard died… (I main elementalist and roam a bit with warrior)
I personaly play only a p/p trapper thief for fun. I use traps to reposition and fire a sneak attack. I don´t use other stealth. I need all ini for unload, headshot and shortbow shadow shot to run. My build can kite quite hard. Not shure if the chage impacts me to hard. I use the superspeed and 2s stealth from the rune to kite so guess not this bad for me. The added damage to tripwire is actually also nice for me.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

I’m fine with this. The builds I’ve been playing recently could basically ignore ghost thieves but they were still annoying.

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

To be fair, the ones who complain about thief one-hit dps, thief stealth and thief ghost trapping are usually the ones who get hit the hardest, but never tried to learn to fight or join the so called “winning team”.

I mean, as a ghost trapper, you’re expending ALL your initi trying to remain hidden. This caused somewhat of a tradeoff, especially given you could only attack three (four, if you count steal) times every 20 seconds. The only ones that had anything to fear were people who didn’t run condi cleanses… which should be pretty commonplace in wvw, given the condi meta.

Ghost thieves were never a threat – I couldn’t locate them to kill, but a couple cleanses and they’re not going to kill me. Having a character remain in stealth that you had to deploy a reveal trap – that they can watch you deploy is a terrible way to the game. I despise stealth and wish the mechanic didn’t exist at all.

I still say that if you strike the thief, it should be revealed. Its invisibility – not intangibility.

SBI

in WvW

OriOri.8724

… I mean, isn’t that what a thief is? A dirty fighter who doesn’t play fair? Or are we all supposed to be penalised for not acting like psudo-warriors, forced to jump headfirst into the frey “because we have mobility”?

……….

I hope you realize that a class that “doesn’t play fair” will always be either inherently broken or nerfed into the ground in a PvP setting? You can’t balance a PvP setting if one class is allowed to ignore the rules

in WvW

Posted by: Rambitshouse.8712

Rambitshouse.8712

I hear YB roamers are mad this got nerfed.

Dtox

in WvW

Posted by: Xtinct.7031

Xtinct.7031

There is a difference between nerfing a build, and making it unusable. Anet seriously just dismantled all trap builds associated to thief.

in WvW

Westenev.5289

……….

I hope you realize that a class that “doesn’t play fair” will always be either inherently broken or nerfed into the ground in a PvP setting? You can’t balance a PvP setting if one class is allowed to ignore the rules

I’m saying no class should have rules (within reason), else all classes will inevitably turn out like mass effect 3’s original ending. Pretty colours, but not a lot of difference between them.

There is a difference between nerfing a build, and making it unusable. Anet seriously just dismantled all trap builds associated to thief.

+1.

I mean, lets face it. Given the size of thief traps and the lack of viable enclosed spaces, you could do away with the animation and most people still wouldn’t be able to get others to plunge onto the things.

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I hear YB roamers are mad this got nerfed.

Didn’t YB pay for ghost teefs transfers to their server and had a WvW guild made up of mostly them?

in WvW

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

No he doesn’t. I don’t get why they got hit with the nerf bat as much as they did. I agree with Saberz. I played with a ghost thief enough to know that it was a novelty build at best that should not be able to kill a competent player with any regularity. But for some reason, ghost-thief-bait players come out in droves on the anet forums.

I wonder if all the people that cried wolf can now go find an outfit that sorta maybe almost kinda shows a shadowy outline of a nipple so we can find another purpose for more internet outrage now that ghost thief is “fixed”.

in WvW

Posted by: afk.8230

afk.8230

march 28th 2017, never forget.

if people put half as much effort into l2p as they do pvf ghost thief would be totally negligible.

in WvW

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

Wvw has gotten much more enjoyable with one less troll build.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

march 28th 2017, never forget.

if people put half as much effort into l2p as they do pvf ghost thief would be totally negligible.

Never forget what? SAB?

June 23rd 2015, never forget.
July 7th 2015, never forget.
October 23rd, 2015, never forget.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

YB roamers

oxymoron as you can’t utilize the arrow cart wheels in this game

in WvW

Posted by: gebrechen.5643

gebrechen.5643

We all know that thief class is only playable because thief players are the ones with incredible skill and not because the class has best mobility, high burst, best evades and almost permanent access to stealth.

Some people die on epidemic, other have skill.
- great warlord Waha of Sea 2981bc

in WvW

Posted by: Jirayu.5834

Jirayu.5834

Actually I’m going to miss it.

Ghost thief made a lot of ppl flooded to that build. while they can’t even master it.

It actually make thief easier to kill. lol

Worst NSP Ranger
Thai Guild Wars 2 Fansite: https://tyria.in.th

in WvW

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Quick, someone go solo a raid boss on condi mesmer so we’ll finally get that cancer out of wvw too. Its been what, 4 and a half years we’ve had that OP crap? Solo a raid boss with it, and we’ll probably see it gone in the next week.

Mesmers do we’re just smart enough not to video the evidence and post it

Ulfar SOR

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Thief
Traps: All traps created by the thief will have a 1-second arm time before the trap can affect enemies.
Needle Trap: This skill now delivers a strike.
Tripwire: This skill now delivers a strike.

Nope, sorry, the Ghost Thief is well and alive since I’ve been killed by two since ‘the patch’.

Invisible should be a long cooldown, not a bounce off the wall or ambient creature and be forever invisible and able to kill without ever being seen.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Thief
Traps: All traps created by the thief will have a 1-second arm time before the trap can affect enemies.

Nope, sorry, the Ghost Thief is well and alive since I’ve been killed by two since ‘the patch’.

Invisible should be a long cooldown, not a bounce off the wall or ambient creature and be forever invisible and able to kill without ever being seen.

Unless they broke it again with 1 of the patches they should still be getting revealed if they try to immobilize you with a trap.

If you aren’t being immobilized they shouldn’t be able to stack enough bleeds to be any kind of threat unless you are afk.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Thief

Unless they broke it again with 1 of the patches they should still be getting revealed if they try to immobilize you with a trap.

If you aren’t being immobilized they shouldn’t be able to stack enough bleeds to be any kind of threat unless you are afk.

As I pointed out a several times, a Ghost thief does not need traps. They can kill via confusion , caltrops , on heal runes and on elite runes along with certain racial utilities, while remaining stealthed and specifically against enemies with limited cleanse or when Ghost thief operates in numbers.

If they are not relying on traps they are likely using panic strike at long duration to immob in a Caltrops field.

Individually this not as effective as the ones that used traps but it still doable and especially in wvw where so many leave condition cleanse at home.

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Can you also propose what thieves would get in return for this change?

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

If they are not relying on traps they are likely using panic strike at long duration to immob in a Caltrops field.

Individually this not as effective as the ones that used traps but it still doable and especially in wvw where so many leave condition cleanse at home.

Panic Strike requires a strike, which requires revealed/out of stealth.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Panic Strike requires a strike, which requires revealed/out of stealth.

^That.
You can damage players and stay in stealth but you need the immobilize to keep them in place to make caltrops dangerous, otherwise you just don’t have enough pressure

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Thief

You can’t always blame an invisible person you know. Sometimes you just need to stop and ask yourself “am i good enough?”

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Thief still annoying

Thief does slightly less damage while still being annoying

Seems like thief gameplay.

So many bad thieves make the good ones look OP.

CCCP….