Gift of Battle Feedback [merged]

in WvW

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

It was in the notes, it was in the forums, it was on reddit, it often came up in LA map chat. I even saw it frequently in my pve guild chat, so I wouldn’t be the slightest bit surprised if other pve guilds did the same. Did you want it on a neon sign on every loading screen, too? Why would that kind of change even need to be announced in advance, anyway? The entire point of the item was to require wvw, and the old way didn’t require it at all. At least this one does, so NOT announcing it in advance would have made the most sense.

Know what most of these things have in common? They’re not things I do while I’m enjoying the game.

I play GW2 to actually, surprise surprise, play the game.

I don’t sit around for hours reading Patch Notes a mile long incase a dev sneakily hid an important notification near the end under some headline concerning a game mode I don’t give a flying squirrel about.
I don’t spend my limited gaming time reading threads on Reddit.
I don’t stand around in Lion’s Arch for hours on end reading the map chat.
Nobody in my guild knew about/discussed this change before it was implemented so didn’t get the info that way either..
So yes, a flashing neon sign, an in-game mail, a tiny news bulletin on the login screen, or this info simply being under the part of the Patch Notes I actually bother reading – those that will seemingly effect my gaming experience, would have been nice.

The point of announcing this change in advance would be to give the players that earned the right to buy Gifts of Battle the time to do so before removing the vendor. Because, unlike what the majority of people here seem to think, it did require you to WvW before too.. Now people just had all their previous work thrown in their faces and have to do the bloody grind all over again.

(edited by Najten.2418)

in WvW

Posted by: Footde Coulde.3509

Footde Coulde.3509

I started this form page to chat not rage at each about Gift of Battle and WvW and what changes should or could be made for the over all enjoyment of the game for new and old.

Also no made what we say its up to area-net at the end of the day and if there listening to there players.

My view will always be why do i need to wvw for the gift of battle, this is me i speck for no one else at this time.

wvw is it very own part of the game but i don’t like pvp or wvw its really hard to play something you don’t enjoy so forcing me to do so for one part of the legendary after all the hard work makes me sad and frustrated like i cant get wvw armor or weapons in pve.

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Nah i think having it on a wvw track is a good idea but the reward track system should be implemented a little better. I don’t think having a cap on the amount of points you can get per tick is good, after you reach that cap you can’t do anything at all to gain additional progress and it puts a needless time gate on getting that gift of battle while in the meantime you aren’t encouraged to do much more if your only goal in wvw was to go after that gift.

One idea i have is that perhaps it could get exponentially harder to get to the next tier of points per tick, there would continue to be a point to participating in wvw content to get even faster progress on the track.

Another idea is to have no cap on points per tick at all but instead to have a cap on rewards per day. It could even be balanced exactly as it is now so that you couldn’t exceed the amount of rewards you could get in a day through the current system but it would be better because even if you don’t like wvw you would be encouraged to participate more to min max the time spent in wvw versus the reward track progress

I think this is a good idea for WvW. Don’t put a cap on how much progress you can get per tick. Let players continuously up their participation level, if they are active enough in WvW to be earning 1,000 points per tick then who am I to stop them? But cap how much reward track progress they can make in a day. This would give PvE players the option to get a decent progress, about 500 ish) and sit AFK till the track is done, or to continuously be active in WvW and potentially finish the track in 1/3 the time or less

in WvW

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I don’t think they should add this back to a vendor, I think the reward track is fine. However, I do think the reward tracks in WvW need work, at least the one for the gift of battle shouldn’t require as much time in WvW.

However, I do think they need to add gift of battle back to a vendor for a temporary amount of time, like a week or two. It’s bs they came in and changed it without most of the community knowing they were going to change it. They should have sent players a mail announcing it was going to be changed a week or so before hand or added it to the loading screens like they add the PvP announcements. No, I’m not one of the players arguing this so I can buy a gift of battle with badges, I don’t have many badges right now nor do I need a gift of battle; but I do understand the complaint.

Since it wasn’t communicated very well that the option was being removed from the vendor, they should temporarily put them back on the vendor.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

8.5 hours or so to complete , this part of the legendary is one of the easiest to complete.

How long does it take you to farm enough karma from 0 until you have enough shards for both mastery and clovers?

How long does it take for clovers?

What about 200 spirit shards starting from 0?

- trying to nerf the easiest piece of the legendary is a little silly.

in WvW

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Given their clear attempt to hide this by merging all those threads, even when they were discussing totally different issues, and the fact that they have said absolutely nothing, tells me either they don’t know how to put the vendor back without affecting the WvW track, or the selective communications was a clear attempt to destroy the value of players rewards earned in the past, trying to get them to do the content over again. The patch notes did not say what day, week, month or year that this would happen.

So, either way, reading every patch note, every time one comes out, will not protect you from losing the value of the rewards you earned in the past.
I hope everyone understands this.

in WvW

Posted by: Nyta.4769

Nyta.4769

Know what most of these things have in common? They’re not things I do while I’m enjoying the game.

I play GW2 to actually, surprise surprise, play the game.

I don’t sit around for hours reading Patch Notes a mile long incase a dev sneakily hid an important notification near the end under some headline concerning a game mode I don’t give a flying squirrel about.
I don’t spend my limited gaming time reading threads on Reddit.
I don’t stand around in Lion’s Arch for hours on end reading the map chat.
Nobody in my guild knew about/discussed this change before it was implemented so didn’t get the info that way either..
So yes, a flashing neon sign, an in-game mail, a tiny news bulletin on the login screen, or this info simply being under the part of the Patch Notes I actually bother reading – those that will seemingly effect my gaming experience, would have been nice.

The point of announcing this change in advance would be to give the players that earned the right to buy Gifts of Battle the time to do so before removing the vendor. Because, unlike what the majority of people here seem to think, it did require you to WvW before too.. Now people just had all their previous work thrown in their faces and have to do the bloody grind all over again.

Be reasonable for a minute. For an announcement about legendaries to be worth putting on a loading screen or in-game mail, it’d have to be something that affected a large portion of the player population. It doesn’t. Can you imagine how many more people would complain about Anet cluttering their screen or sending them junk mail?

The information was out there in a wide variety of forms. It’s not Anet’s fault that you don’t pay attention.

For the last part of your post, just lol. After they removed the requirement for wvw map completion, all the wvw you had to do for that item was step into the map. You didn’t even have to leave spawn. You had alternative ways to get both the badges and the ranks. There was no meaning to the gift. At least now it actually requires doing wvw. Still not enough, imo. Only requires 8-10 hours of wvw vs far more than that of pve for the legendary. But it’s a step in the right direction.

in WvW

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I’m not too fond of WvW myself, so I’m arguing for a position that forces me to play a part of the game I’m not fond of myself.

Why?

The only reason I can understand that a person would do something that they don’t enjoy in a GAME is because they’re a masochist. Most people aren’t so Anet shouldn’t try to force people to do a type of content that they don’t enjoy.

Because I want the optional legendary weapon that comes from doing it. My desire for the legendary outweighs my dislike of WvW.

I have yet to find a game that I didn’t find something that I was not fond of that if I wanted to win the game or get some optional item I had to do it.

And legendary weapons are not required for any content in this game so ANet is not forcing you do to anything you do not want to do. You’re only forced to play WvW if you prefer one legendary skin over another. You can get a legendary weapon of your choice without playing WvW at all.

Ok, you’ve explained why you do things you don’t like but you haven’t explained why you are arguing that other people should also do things they don’t like.

And I’m aware that legendary weapons are not required, that’s why I said that Anet is “trying” to force people. They are holding up the best carrot and saying that you can’t get it unless you play the way we want you to play. Really sucks.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in WvW

Djinn.9245

I’d like to show the other side to this decision.

I hadn’t stepped foot into WvW in well over a year (where did the lakes go?). I had no drive to do so, even though I had had enjoyable moments in the past. There was no push, no itch, and no true reminder that it existed. I had a few thousand Badges of Honor; I was content.

Since this change, while I haven’t spent much time in WvW, I’ve found it exhilarating. Big battles, 1v3’s (which I handedly lost), 3v1’s (which we handedly lost), but a whole ton of fun. I would never have clicked on the WvW button; would never have enjoyed myself; would never have put up a (semi)-good fight for people on the other team; had it not been for this prompt to give it another shot.

It got me into WvW, it’s got other people into WvW, and completing the track is nowhere near the level of time and dedication that other portions of a legendary take.

That’s great that you ended up enjoying WvW but I and many others have already tried WvW and don’t like it. We have to do it anyway if we can’t buy a legendary from the AH.

There are many others who don’t have to try that type of “PvP” mode to know that they won’t like it. We are adults – we don’t need someone telling us that we should try something we don’t want to do because we might like it.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

You have ALWAYS had to play WvW for getting legendary. They just made acquiring it faster. There is no way you accumulate 500 badges as a newbie to WvW faster than 8.5 hours of playtime. Sorry, but new players are just not that accustomed or good. Now Anet made it faster, and easier to get it.

What more do you want on that silver platter?

I’m actually of the thought process that Legendaries should have required all game modes to get 1.

in WvW

Djinn.9245

8.5 hours or so to complete , this part of the legendary is one of the easiest to complete.

How long does it take you to farm enough karma from 0 until you have enough shards for both mastery and clovers?

I don’t think you understand – I haven’t seen a call for a “nerf”. “Nerf” means to make something less or easier. We don’t want WvW easier, we just don’t want to do it. Forcing players to do WvW to get a legendary is like saying “I know you hate milk but you have to drink it in order to get any dessert.” That’s something you say to a child, not an adult. When adults eat dinner, they choose what they want to eat and when they want to eat it. They can eat dessert before dinner or dessert FOR dinner. That’s part of doing something you enjoy.

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

I don’t think you understand – I haven’t seen a call for a “nerf”. “Nerf” means to make something less or easier. We don’t want WvW easier, we just don’t want to do it. Forcing players to do WvW to get a legendary is like saying “I know you hate milk but you have to drink it in order to get any dessert.” That’s something you say to a child, not an adult. When adults eat dinner, they choose what they want to eat and when they want to eat it. They can eat dessert before dinner or dessert FOR dinner. That’s part of doing something you enjoy.

I’m sorry but that’s just ridiculous. You know in advance what is required, this is no secret, and should not even be an issue 3+ years later.

And no, your analogy is incorrect … it’s like saying ‘you want a milkshake but your not willing to make it’

These are cosmetic only items that are not required to PvE. If you want the flashy toy, you need to put in the work to make it. Ignorance is not acceptable.

If a kid wants a trophy but refuses to play in the tournament, they kid does not get a trophy.

Legendaries are not participation badges, each piece of the craft requires all of the work. The gift of battle (being the easiest to acquire by far) requires you to WvW ….. It used to require you actually kill players and npc lord’s to acquire badges at a much slower rate.

in WvW

Najten.2418

Be reasonable for a minute. For an announcement about legendaries to be worth putting on a loading screen or in-game mail, it’d have to be something that affected a large portion of the player population. It doesn’t. Can you imagine how many more people would complain about Anet cluttering their screen or sending them junk mail?

The information was out there in a wide variety of forms. It’s not Anet’s fault that you don’t pay attention.

For the last part of your post, just lol. After they removed the requirement for wvw map completion, all the wvw you had to do for that item was step into the map. You didn’t even have to leave spawn. You had alternative ways to get both the badges and the ranks. There was no meaning to the gift. At least now it actually requires doing wvw. Still not enough, imo. Only requires 8-10 hours of wvw vs far more than that of pve for the legendary. But it’s a step in the right direction.

First of all, I do think I am being quite reasonable. What isn’t reasonable is to put a sidenote under the “wrong” headline in a wall of text and expect everyone, or even a majority of those it will affect, to read it. I bet most players don’t even skim through the patch notes to begin with, and most that do probably focus on the parts that are likely to affect them personally. Sure, the change technically applies to “WvW Reward Tracks (beta)”, but I’d say it affects LEGENDARY CRAFTING a helluva lot more. That headline would’ve caught my attention when skimming through the notes, WvW beta stuff does not since at most I pop in to WvW do a daily or two with a couple of guildies.. I never even concidered doing the Reward Tracks because with their ramp-up time they don’t seem made for or aimed at people that only pop in for 10-20 minutes, they are aimed towards players that spend hours in a row in WvW.

Second, no, the only official information was out there in one form. One sentence starting with “also…” in a 19000 word long text.. Don’t tell me that not only should I spend hours reading patch notes in detail even when it’s about game modes I don’t care much about, I should also make it my job to look for information from secondary sources? Now who’s being unreasonable?

Third; WvW map completion was never ever part of the Gift of Battle.. It was for the Gift of Exploration.. and I did full WvW map completion on 3 different characters before it was removed as a requirement.
I also farmed more than 500 Badges of Honor before they were added as loot in Achievement Chests. I am also past rank 400 (might not be super impressive but I for one am rather proud of that achievememt) in WvW. Heck, I was even part of a WvW guild for a while back when I did find WvW more interesting.
I already spent way more than the 8-12 hours the stupid “Waste of time” Track will take to complete (and I even completed the kitten track just to finish my latest Legendary).

As for your last point; if there’s “no meaning to the Gift of Battle” if you don’t have to WvW for it, should I take thas as you not thinking that the Dungeon Tracks should remain available in PvP and WvW? I mean, the Gift of Ascalon should require you to actually set foot in the dungeon, not just grind WvW for a few hours… That the latest change to the Heroics Notary should be revoked and he should stop selling HoT runes, sigils, weapon- and armorstats that used to require you to grind a bunch of events in HoT zones.. It would “have no meaning” if you can just buy them without experiencing that content, just for checking an extra pip in a WvW Ability Point tree.. No?

in WvW

Djinn.9245

If a kid wants a trophy but refuses to play in the tournament, they kid does not get a trophy.

Legendaries are not participation badges, each piece of the craft requires all of the work. The gift of battle (being the easiest to acquire by far) requires you to WvW ….. It used to require you actually kill players and npc lord’s to acquire badges at a much slower rate.

A Legendary item is not a WvW trophy, it is the highest level of rarity for the entire game. No other rarity is tied behind having to play in any particular venue. THAT is what is ridiculous.

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

A Legendary item is not a WvW trophy, it is the highest level of rarity for the entire game. No other rarity is tied behind having to play in any particular venue. THAT is what is ridiculous.

Legendary PvP back … Legendary fractals Back?

Legendary Armor (raiding)

Just from the top of my head.

in WvW

Najten.2418

Key word being Legendary.
Ascended, Exotic, Rare, Masterwork or Fine items do not require a specific game mode.

in WvW

Djinn.9245

Not talking about a particular skin, talking about an entire level of rarity. You don’t have to play sPvP in order to craft Ascended gear.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Which is completely reasonable, because other levels of gear correlate with an actual stat increase. You should be able to reach the stat cap no matter what mode you play.

Legendaries are entirely items of cosmetics and convenience. You do not need one to reach the stat cap, so the same rules don’t apply.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Nyta.4769

snip

lol, pretty sure you’re just trolling, but I’ll bite. You still aren’t really thinking it through. Legendaries just don’t apply to a large enough percentage of the player base to put that particular piece of info out in multiple official formats. Getting it out in one and leaving word of mouth to carry it the rest of the way is fine.

As for whether you should be expected to use secondary sources for information, well, yes, obviously. Did that really need to be answered? You complained about how the information wasn’t in-game, but it was. Again, word of mouth’s fine for something that doesn’t affect a large portion of the player base.

As for wvw map completion, the point of what I was saying was that if you go far enough back, yes, legendaries did actually require wvw to make, but after that requirement was gone, so was the need to do wvw at all, until now. You’re just splitting hairs.

For the dungeon requirement, the legendary as it is still requires a huge amount of pve in the form of the gift of exploration, so I don’t really care that they made the dungeon gift obtainable in wvw/spvp. Not really sure why people would get it in wvw since it takes at most, what, two hours in pve (split between two days), and closer to 20-30 hours in wvw. But even if someone did get the dungeon gift from wvw, that + gift of battle would still probably not take as long as the gift of exploration. So there’s still lots of pve required.

I would have liked if legendaries actually required spvp, too, though. And I’m saying that as someone who barely touches spvp. XD

For the gear stats/runes/sigils, are you honestly trying to compare something purely cosmetic to something that actually affects your build and effectiveness? We were talking very specifically about a high end purely-optional-no-matter-how-you-look-at-it item, not something that affects how well you’re able to play a certain role.

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

I crafted my ascended weapons in Lion’s arch… I’m making another Legendary so I am working on Map completion in PvE ….

I do not enjoy map completion… but because i put personal value in creating a legendary … I have decided I will make on on my third account. My choice … means I have to put in the time and work in PvE. Sigh … i wish I could get that gift of exploration in 8.5 hours … but I can’t … takes much longer. I also ran TA dungeons multiple times to grind out the tokens. Because in the end, it was my choice to create a Legendary. Do I enjoy creating them, no … but I want one. So I will complete the steps to create it.

What is ridiculous, is actually saying your hard up because you personally choose to do the Legendary crafting and feel it’s gated behind a WvW reward track that takes less than half the time of say the GoE. Forcing you to play… when it took much more actual WvW to collect the badges.

The only people screwed over, and I’ll stand by this … is those who collected badges, and failed to turn them in before Anet pulled the rug out from under them.

Sorry, the rest is complete poppy-kitten

We are all forced to play ways we do not enjoy when deciding to make a Legendary, you are no different them me. But it’s us who decide up front, with all the knowledge of what it takes … that decide to either make it or not.

in WvW

Tumult.2578

snip

lol, pretty sure you’re just trolling, but I’ll bite. You still aren’t really thinking it through. Legendaries just don’t apply to a large enough percentage of the player base to put that particular piece of info out in multiple official formats. Getting it out in one and leaving word of mouth to carry it the rest of the way is fine.

As for whether you should be expected to use secondary sources for information, well, yes, obviously. Did that really need to be answered? You complained about how the information wasn’t in-game, but it was. Again, word of mouth’s fine for something that doesn’t affect a large portion of the player base.

As for wvw map completion, the point of what I was saying was that if you go far enough back, yes, legendaries did actually require wvw to make, but after that requirement was gone, so was the need to do wvw at all, until now. You’re just splitting hairs.

For the dungeon requirement, the legendary as it is still requires a huge amount of pve in the form of the gift of exploration, so I don’t really care that they made the dungeon gift obtainable in wvw/spvp. Not really sure why people would get it in wvw since it takes at most, what, two hours in pve (split between two days), and closer to 20-30 hours in wvw. But even if someone did get the dungeon gift from wvw, that + gift of battle would still probably not take as long as the gift of exploration. So there’s still lots of pve required.

I would have liked if legendaries actually required spvp, too, though. And I’m saying that as someone who barely touches spvp. XD

For the gear stats/runes/sigils, are you honestly trying to compare something purely cosmetic to something that actually affects your build and effectiveness? We were talking very specifically about a high end purely-optional-no-matter-how-you-look-at-it item, not something that affects how well you’re able to play a certain role.

Lol, your basic premise is flawed and unsustainable because you have absolutely no idea how many people lost WvW currency with the change, no idea how many players are working on Legendaries, and no idea how many will in the future.

What the PvE community doesn’t understand is that WvW players are likely, very used to selective communication, losing the value of the game play time and effort spent in the past, not wanting to say anything because it might cost players, and not having enough impact in the forum to deal with it, just so the Dev’s can make the game mode work. That must be more important than doing things ethically. They must see people whining, when players put ethics before the game mode.

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

snip

Just one point of clarity… you always needed to do WvW for Legendary crafting. Removing the map completion part was a small part. Getting your badges for the GoB has never changed. They just moved it to a reward track so it’s easier to accomplish for those that cannot kill a player or someone who is unable to complete a WvW daily.

Fact still stands … WvW is a part of the recipe. Always has been since launch. Anet just made it easier to cater to the softer special crowd that avoids conflicts and fighting. Also because we are 3+ years into the game, newer players need things a little faster to catch up.

in WvW

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I’m not too fond of WvW myself, so I’m arguing for a position that forces me to play a part of the game I’m not fond of myself.

Why?

The only reason I can understand that a person would do something that they don’t enjoy in a GAME is because they’re a masochist. Most people aren’t so Anet shouldn’t try to force people to do a type of content that they don’t enjoy.

Because I want the optional legendary weapon that comes from doing it. My desire for the legendary outweighs my dislike of WvW.

I have yet to find a game that I didn’t find something that I was not fond of that if I wanted to win the game or get some optional item I had to do it.

And legendary weapons are not required for any content in this game so ANet is not forcing you do to anything you do not want to do. You’re only forced to play WvW if you prefer one legendary skin over another. You can get a legendary weapon of your choice without playing WvW at all.

Ok, you’ve explained why you do things you don’t like but you haven’t explained why you are arguing that other people should also do things they don’t like.

And I’m aware that legendary weapons are not required, that’s why I said that Anet is “trying” to force people. They are holding up the best carrot and saying that you can’t get it unless you play the way we want you to play. Really sucks.

You asked me why I did it and that you could not understand how anyone who wasn’t a masochist could tolerate doing something in a game that they did not like.

I gave you a reason.

Here’s the reason why others should: Because ANet had decided that in order to get a legendary that you can show off in PvE and in WvW that you must play WvW in order to get it.

Considering that you can now use them in PvP, I would be fine with a Gift of Battle track being added to PvP so that players had a choice on which method to do.

I also would not have had any issue if they forced players to play PvP in order to get the new legendaries or to do precursor crafting for all of the existing legendaries as well as the new ones. And I hate PvP more than I hate WvW.

And players who do not wish to play WvW are still able to get a legendary. They just won’t be able to make one themselves. They can pay someone else via the Trading Post to get a legendary.

They handled the communication of this change poorly and therefore I feel that they should put the Gift of Battle back with the vendor for at least a couple patches if not longer. Because players had looked at the requirements to make it and how they could obtain the Gift of Battle and made a decision possibly months ago before the first communication on the issue happened on whether to buy or build and may now have tons of account bound items related to the legendary that they can’t do anything with because the legendary to them isn’t worth going into WvW for. That they may have been able to take care of had they had more notice via working more heavily on achievement points than farming T6 mats or working on map completion.

in WvW

Posted by: Serith.3712

Serith.3712

The whole concept of players having to play multiple game modes to craft legendary items is flawed from the start. There should be specific paths available in each mode to obtain the needed components, I don’t like the idea of going for map completion anymore then PVE players like going into WVW.

in WvW

Nyta.4769

Lol, your basic premise is flawed and unsustainable because you have absolutely no idea how many people lost WvW currency with the change, no idea how many players are working on Legendaries, and no idea how many will in the future.

Are you really complaining because of what I said about it not applying to a large enough portion of the playerbase to justify a horde of announcements everywhere about that one minor detail? That it’s a small percentage was pretty heavily implied—if not outright stated—with the announcement that future legendaries would be postponed indefinitely to redirect the developers to things that actually do affect most of the playerbase.

But if that’s not good enough for you, then imagine how cluttered everyone’s mail would be if Anet sent a letter with every single change that affected as much of the playerbase as that one change to legendary weapons does. Most of the changes in the update notes would be sent out as their own letters, and then you’d be back where you started with people complaining that they weren’t informed because it’s too much reading.

Just one point of clarity… you always needed to do WvW for Legendary crafting.

No, you didn’t. And people in the thread have already explained why several times.

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

No, you didn’t. And people in the thread have already explained why several times.

I’m sorry, how was the gift of battle acquired prior to adding reward tracks? I can’t seem to find it under it’s acquisition

To put it more clearly … when I was playing with my first guild at release … was there an alternative way to acquire the gift of battle prior to reward tracks?

in WvW

Tumult.2578

I wasn’t involved right away but I believe the Gift of Battle was always purchased from a vendor for Badges of Honor and I don’t think the cost changed. Rank 5 was required to be able to make the purchase. Badges of Honor were scarcer and had fewer ways to get them.
As they became more available, the Rank requirement was changed to 14. There are even more was to get them now. But, there is no longer a vendor.

in WvW

Posted by: Sweet Sanity.8593

Sweet Sanity.8593

It is insane that this thread is even this long. If you don’t like to wvw, fine. Come in to wvw and do a few easy dailies and leave. You might not be able to cap a tower or a keep but you can kill a vet creature and some yaks and take a camp. Just start this like you do any other part of a legendary and only take it a little at a time. There’s nothing stopping you from popping in to do this once a day for 10 minutes between rounds of grinding t6 mats from map bonuses. It’s not that big of a deal

If you think badges of honor are useless you are wrong there too. Buy badges of tribute and use the money to buy some coins and mats you also need for the legendary. If you save the gift of battle as the one final thing to make your legendary that’s your own fault.

I’ve made a lot of legendaries and it’s not something you rush in a day regardless. Do it at the same time as all the rest of it like sane people do.

in WvW

Tumult.2578

Are you really complaining because of what I said about it not applying to a large enough portion of the playerbase to justify a horde of announcements everywhere about that one minor detail? That it’s a small percentage was pretty heavily implied—if not outright stated—with the announcement that future legendaries would be postponed indefinitely to redirect the developers to things that actually do affect most of the playerbase.

But if that’s not good enough for you, then imagine how cluttered everyone’s mail would be if Anet sent a letter with every single change that affected as much of the playerbase as that one change to legendary weapons does. Most of the changes in the update notes would be sent out as their own letters, and then you’d be back where you started with people complaining that they weren’t informed because it’s too much reading.

“Horde of announcements?” Those are your words, not mine.

When a future change will affect the value of currency, patch notes should include a simple sentence stating when it will actually occur.

in WvW

Nyta.4769

I’m sorry, how was the gift of battle acquired prior to adding reward tracks? I can’t seem to find it under it’s acquisition

To put it more clearly … when I was playing with my first guild at release … was there an alternative way to acquire the gift of battle prior to reward tracks?

Once they removed the map completion requirement, the only wvw stuff you needed to make a legendary were the badges and rank to buy the gift, neither of which required actually doing wvw. Badges were available through achievement chests, and wxp through laurels or karma. The ability to buy wxp with laurels was eventually removed, though. After HoT, you could also buy wxp with guild commendations and HoT currencies. So after the map completion requirement was removed, all you really needed to enter wvw for to get a legendary was to walk up to the npc and buy it, and potentially to buy the wxp from the laurel merchant.

So if I didn’t mess the math up, if you wanted to get your first wvw gift when wxp was buyable with laurels, you only needed 20 laurels and 3k AP (to cover the 500 badges for the gift + 500 badges for enough wxp to hit rank 14). I’d imagine that most players who wanted a legendary would have met that requirement by the time they finished grinding everything else they needed to craft it. Roughly every 1500 AP after that would give enough badges to buy another gift.

Little harder to do the math for the other methods of buying wxp since the Box of WvW Supplies apparently gives a random liquid wxp bottle, but I’ve always gotten a thimble from it. One box costs one guild commendation or 5k karma or 25 of some HoT map currency. If 2500 wxp really is the average, though, then it’d take ~20 boxes to get rank 14.

But yeah, that’s probably why they changed the acquisition method of the wvw gift. It was so easy to get it without touching wvw beyond spawn.

To Tumult, lol, go back and look at the whole conversation you were responding to when you said “your basic premise is flawed and unsustainable.” Yes, that part was talking about putting that one announcement out in multiple formats.

in WvW

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

The vendor hasn’t returned with yesterday’s patch (28th June). I’m starting to lose hope

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

in WvW

Posted by: Jasonbdj.4021

Jasonbdj.4021

Well they forgot to update the badge detail in the wallet windows….

I’ve built stack loads of badges for gift use only and now it is a stack of time wasted. People are saying it takes 8-12 hours to complete the track….that will take me weeks due to life commitments.

Either have to Que to join a live map or a out-numbered map…. I only get few hours free a day , I just do not have enough time for the WvW.

Your comparing WvW with PVP and dungeon rewards, you are straight into action doing PVP and dungeon gaining the rewards but WvW you have a que to wait, join and get to where the commander is, waiting around for commander/people – not exactly fun when you have so little time of game-play.

Reason why I have stack saved for the GoB to avoid the issue…. (If I’ve had more time I would enjoy WvW)

I rather use my free time playing the game rather than reading updates in detail and standing around in LA…I only get few hours free per day therefore I would have to use the time relaxing and enjoying.

Sorry for my grammar etc lol at work and rushed the post…

(edited by Jasonbdj.4021)

in WvW

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

I tested this. I have now Gift of Battle. Easy. Easier than PvP, a true gank fest. Easier than making fractal levels. Just easy.

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

snip

So basically after the southsun cove event, Anet added another way to get it wxp. But your rank up chests didn’t provide you with 500 badges, not even close. At level 5 your rank up chest gives you 3 badges of honor and like 5 silver. You would still need to acquire more badges.

And in order to craft a legendary which required the GoB … you would need to get those badges in …

(note: thanks for sharing that, I actually did forget about the WXP laurels … and no need to fill in the blank. We all know how to get badges)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Pve + WvW collide =

https://youtu.be/O7oD_oX-Gio

(Anet is the guy in the background)

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Celsith.2753

Celsith.2753

What’s so hard to understand about “WE ALREADY DID ALL THAT ALREADY”? WE EARNED IT ALREADY"?
If I want more Gifts of Battle, then I will play MORE WvW without problem.

And I had to redo pve content when I decided to make HOT legendaries. Why can’t I automatically get credit on my collections for the jumping puzzles i’ve already done? I’ve already killed Mordy so why do I have to do him twice again? MORE PVE FORCED ON ME!!!!

At least you COULD have bought the GoB when you had the badges. You chose not to.

Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Thundercat Snarf – Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Pyx.1906

Pyx.1906

So you are saying that if you had done all that PvE stuff and been given a required currency (STILL in you wallet), you would be perfectly happy to find out you could not use it and have to redo all that stuff because you missed an obscure line in a update notice? I don’t believe you and don’t know why you posted this. You are having to do new PvE content for a new set of legendaries (the old ones can still be done the old way if desired). Sorry, but I and many others posting here spent a lot of time in WvW, which I disliked as much as you claimed to dislike PvE, earned and saved the currency used for the Gift of Battle. That is the ONLY reason I did WvW. I earned the currency needed and it is now worthless for that purpose. That is the problem. If you actually read this list, you would see that others did not choose to not buy them, they missed a poorly done notice about the change. I actually did not know about this until today, because I finished Nevermore III and was looking for the merchant to get my gift of battle and hence to Google and this sad series of posts. Arbitrarily voiding a currency is not acceptable in the real world nor in a game.

in WvW

Jasonbdj.4021

I believe that this topic will grow as the veteran players finds out that their WvW currency is now stack of waste of time and they have to do an extra 10h+ to complete the GoB track when they decide to create an legendary…

I believe the change is a good thing but with no warning or clear announcements will just annoyed veteran players such as myself, at least allow us to cash in the time we spent in WvW for the GoB for another week followed by a clear announcements for everyone to see not hidden in some notes.

Its gonna take me weeks to complete the track due to life thanks anet for the extra pain….

in WvW

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

What concerns me the most about all of this is there has still been no reply whatsoever from ANet over our feedback. When they removed the crafting stations, they replied to those who raised concerns about it… when they made certain BL skins account-bound, they were quick to reply to those players and properly inform them…. And yet, still nothing from ANet on this issue. Absolutely nothing saying they are standing by this decision or that they are considering our views. Just knowing that our concerns are not being ignored would be appreciated. But I don’t get this feeling from them and it gives me the impression that our concerns do not matter.

Bring back the vendor, keep it locked… at this point, I don’t care. I’d just like to know that they are seeing this thread and that we’re not wasting our time by giving feedback.

in WvW

Jasonbdj.4021

Because this only effects mainly the veteran players…. their focus are on making new players happy.

in WvW

Nyta.4769

snip

But your rank up chests didn’t provide you with 500 badges, not even close.

Not rank up chests. I didn’t even include the badges from them in the calculation. Achievement chests. The reason I talked about AP.

in WvW

Posted by: Miko.4158

Miko.4158

wxp, was a fault. It was farmed and made a mockery of the ranking system and was rightly removed. I don’t think the intention was for it to be used instead of WVW in the gift of battle, so doesn’t seem relevant. Master all the game modes get a legendary , PVP’ers are the only ones hard done by. ( -I hated doing map completion)

in WvW

Hexinx.1872

snip

But your rank up chests didn’t provide you with 500 badges, not even close.

Not rank up chests. I didn’t even include the badges from them in the calculation. Achievement chests. The reason I talked about AP.

I gotcha – 1500 AP would get it without doing anything.

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I know people are upset about this, but are some WvW players still seriously going on about this being a “just” and “fair” update? Grow up already people, jesus.

in WvW

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

I’d like to see how “just” and “fair” they are when ANet decides that something they love is no longer relevant to the game and it’s removed.

Perhaps the biggest problem here they they don’t realize is that this is a change that was handled poorly and that has affected a very large portion of players. It’s no longer about us PvEer’s having to got to WvW… It’s not longer about about our previous efforts being nullified and us having to start over again. What it’s about is the fact that ANet is willing to make changes that affect everyone with no clear indication or warning before doing so. It’s a lack on communication between the game developers and the player base.

Eventually there will come a time when such changes affect us all equally and I predict they won’t be so high and mighty in their opinions. Some of the WvWers get this and understand. And to them, I hope they are ever watchful and willing to be very vocal about the injustice we all face. But for the spiteful and arrogant WvWers… well, this is what they deserve for being so blind and condescending. Turnabout is fair play, as they say.

in WvW

Posted by: HGLatinBoy.9174

HGLatinBoy.9174

What should happen is we should get a bunch of players to clog up the queue and just AFK until they fix WvW.

I had 0 problems with WvW before. I hardly played the mode but when I did I had no ill will towards it. Even WvW Map completion was no biggie to me.

I love, and I mean LOVE the new reward track rewards, at least I thought I did. I thought they were a great idea on paper but in practice it’s just so bad. You would think that the goal would be to get people to play WvW and get something cool with it and not make it into an AFK fest.

Ideally what should’ve happened for PVE players who needed to get their Badges of Honor for the Gift of Battle is to show them the new Daily potions that filled your reward track so you could get the new armor all the while building up badges to get your Gift of Battle.

I was very excited to see the new armors and excited to see them add WvW reward track potions. I would’ve played WvW just for the new rewards. But now I can’t get them because instead I’m going to have to keep my reward track on Gift of Battle until I get all the legendaries I want. And it wouldn’t be so bad if actually playing WvW caused that bar to move up for everything that I did. Taking down a camp, killing an enemy player, capturing the forts and castles should drastically push your reward track instead I can just sit back and watch some YouTube videos instead of having fun in Guild Wars 2.

Honestly why would WvW players even want to have more PVE players in there anyway who don’t know what they’re doing and are just going to AFK and take up a WvW player’s spot?

in WvW

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Guys, the fact that there is zero official reply should tell you enough. Anet is still the same company that screwed up with HoT. They screwed up again and are now to afraid to actually own up to their mistake, again. Nothing is going to change. That vendor won’t be back because that would be admitting a mistake.

New leadership same old mistakes.

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Ok so PvE players are QQing about having to do a little WvW for each legendary.

At least you guys have money to make legendary, You guys have more magic find from all the loots, you can run magic find foods, you get 3 times more money than us, your foods and utility effects cost less, you guys have higher chance of precursor.

Its easy to get the gift of battle anyways, now you just have to do some, not much, wvw for it, preferably edge of the mists. Just hope this wont bring too many PvE scrubbers to WvW.

Farming Durability runes in PvE was a must for WvW players for a while, now its your time to suffer, muahahahhaha, payback.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

in WvW

Tumult.2578

What’s so hard to understand about “WE ALREADY DID ALL THAT ALREADY”? WE EARNED IT ALREADY"?
If I want more Gifts of Battle, then I will play MORE WvW without problem.

And I had to redo pve content when I decided to make HOT legendaries. Why can’t I automatically get credit on my collections for the jumping puzzles i’ve already done? I’ve already killed Mordy so why do I have to do him twice again? MORE PVE FORCED ON ME!!!!

At least you COULD have bought the GoB when you had the badges. You chose not to.

I could and I did buy some, but I was required to play that content and now I cant use the remaining reward currency, which is the only reason I played the content in the first place.
Did you do PvE content, gain reward currency and then have that currency changed so you can’t spend it on what you earned it for, without ever being given a date of when it would be changed?
Hot legendaries are a separate nightmare that have not been removed from the game, only delayed. Many of us are dealing with that, not just WvW players. Those things you mentioned affect everyone, not one game mode or another. Yes, it’s a problem but it’s not the same thing.
It’s not about being forced to do anything or play any specific game mode. It’s about a change that should have been communicated before implementation.

in WvW

Posted by: McKelly.6317

McKelly.6317

Is it possible to make the vendor sell one Gift of Battle, then require that any additional gifts are obtained from the reward track?

I’m making a list of things I still need for Nevermore. I wish I knew about this sooner, I have the badges ready.

People are right about the patch notes, I skim past the WvW section because it doesn’t apply to the way I play. I just need one gift of battle, If I ever make a second legendary I will feel OK about needing to do WvW because I will know before I start.

Isle of Janthir
Cirilaa – Druid, Galaxy Idol Tetora – Mesmer, Aintno Hoelbrakgirl – Guardian