Gift of Battle - state of WvW

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Players had a couple months warning that this was going to happen. There’s no need for every player to have been able to summon the vendor one last time.

I’m sorry, what warning?
There was no warning in the game launcher, no warning in the news, forums, let alone an in-game mail…

“Also, once the reward tracks feature exits beta testing, the Gift of Battle legendary crafting component will no longer be available as a vendor purchase and will be earned via its own reward track.”

patch notes of spring’s quarterly update. they warned us that once the reward track leaves beta this would happen.

For the love of ………

Go and find for us this fabled place where ANet told us the date that WvW reward tracks would leave beta then. Quote it with a source. Because no one else on here ever saw an actual date for this. Until then stop bringing this up as if it was an “adequate warning”. It had zero mention of a date, not even a timescale on it. It didn’t even so much as say “When WvW reward tracks leave beta in the next few months” No! It just said when they leave beta, whenever the kitten that was, because we were never given a date on that. We just patched our game on April 19th and were surprised with the fact that they were no longer in beta.

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Not to mention, the regular wvw only player, when creating any of the new legendaries, will have to spend DAYS or WEEKS in PVE not only to get a gift of exploration, but now to also get a gift of Maguuma mastery and a gift of insights.

Just a heads up for you then; stop wasting your precious “out of WvW time” on World Exploration, since it is not required for the new HoT Legendaries. There, saved 90 hours! Woop!

I don’t remember even remotely implying that I care about what other people do when they’re on the map or why they’re there in the first place, or even calling anyone a “scrub”.

Good for you. Unfortunately, I can’t remember many times I’ve entered WvW without reading atleast 1 line about what “some PvE scrub” is currently doing wrong: be it taking the wrong supplies, using them on the wrong thing, being too squishy, using the wrong weapons, not bringing the right skills etc.. I’m sure this varies on different servers, but on mine there’s usually not a friendly or welcoming atmosphere. And any WvW lover that seriously thinks I am going to statchange my Ascended gear or even bother getting a 2nd set to grind a boring as eff track in a game mode I don’t really want to play any more: HAH. Right.. Not going to happen! So eff off and stop telling me how to gear or play my toon. Too bad I’m not being very useful while taking up a precious slot for 9 hours but it’s not something I asked for so quit putting me down for it.

You don’t seem to have an issue with wvw itself, but an issue with the toxic players that reside on your server. That’s not what this topic is about.

Besides, it’s not like there aren’t elitists in PVE, every day, every map, every instance…but I digress.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: You don’t seem to have an issue with wvw itself, but an issue with the toxic players that reside on your server. That’s not what this topic is about. – An issue with toxic players on your WvW server would be a WvW issue, wouldn’t _ it? And forcing a player to play WvW instead of using badges already earned would make that relevant to this thread.
<edit - extra _ added to foil erroneous profanity filter kittening>

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

in WvW

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: But let’s be real… it’s not a real “problem”. – Of course it isn’t, in the sense that nothing in a game could be considered a “real” problem. But it’s easily remedied by returning the vendor with proper notification for at least a short time.

re: A small percentage of the player base – I don’t know what percentage it is, and neither do you. (even if you’re actually an Anet employee, it would be almost impossible for you to know) The fact is, they’ve made a percentage of the player base unhappy, with no reason given. Why not just make some small effort to try and solve that? Or at least justify what they’ve done, so we at least know why?

It can’t be a tremendous effort to simply put the vendor back in. And give proper notice.

re: You’re practically yelling at the sky demanding to know why it’s blue. – No, I’m asking to know why a seemingly needless change was made. Without proper notification. And with no reason or justification given. Anet’s poor communication with players has been a problem (in the sense that anything concerning a game could be considered a problem) for quite some time now. Anet should be working to communicate more effectively with their players.

re: You’re looking at a relatively tiny time investment that you hadn’t counted on. – Not everyone has as much time to play as you do. My guild plays together once a week, for 4 to 5 hours. Some of us have no more time to play than that. And it wouldn’t be necessary if they’d just let us redeem the badges of honor we already have.

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

in WvW

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: MMOs change, this is something that’s commonly found in their ToS. – Yep. But needless and poorly thought out changes are just that – needless, and poorly thought out. And they’re bad for the game. Resources wasted for no value-ad.

re: You earned some currency that you could have used and didn’t – Yes, because I was given no reasonable warning that the vendor would be abruptly and permanently ripped from the game. And I’m not the only one.

re: Anet didn’t promise or take anything so now you’re just meandering down entitlement avenue calling the change bait and switch – Giving someone an expectation of getting a certain thing in exchange for a certain cost, then abruptly and without fair warning changing what is available sounds like “bait and switch” to me. And I’m sure there’s a more concise term for “placing notification or warning where you’re reasonably sure people it’s meant for won’t see it”, but I don’t know that term. So that’s how I’ll phrase it.

re: now you’re just meandering down entitlement avenue – When someone takes away an opportunity with no proper warning or even giving a reason, I wouldn’t call it “entitlement” to want that opportunity returned.

re: I think the reward track is reasonable amount of effort to ask for absolute, top tier prestige skins. – Absolutely. Going forward it’s a better solution in many ways. (Unless you consider the damage that abruptly dumping in a lot of inexperienced PvE only players will do to WvW) If we had a chance to spend the badges we already have, that reward track would serve to pull a more manageable number of PvE players into WvW. Players that might want to stay and make WvW one of their regular game modes. But making people feel forced to do something is never a good introduction to that thing. Don’t you care about the state of WvW?

re: I don’t remember even remotely implying that I care about what other people do when they’re on the map or why they’re there in the first place – Why don’t you care? Your sig seems to indicate very passionate feelings about WvW. Yet you don’t care why people are there or what they’re doing? You don’t think that a bunch of PvE only players, there only to grind out the GoB track is a bad thing for WvW?

re: I don’t remember calling anyone a “scrub” – You didn’t call us scrubs, I did. Because it’s what I would consider an inexperienced PvE only player, who is just(or primarily) in WvW to grind out the GoB track. Even those of us who are legitimately trying to contribute still aren’t the same as an experienced WvW player, or one that is just invested in WvW. Because we’re not invested in WvW. We’re there for the thing that’s gated behind it, like WvW only players are in PvE. If a player is not invested in PvE, I’d rather they(and other WvW only/preferred players) had WvW alternatives. Just like I want PvE alternatives for PvE only/preferred players.(and for PvP only/preferred players for that matter) People in a game mode should care about that game mode, and want to be there, and enjoy being there.

re: the time taken here to complain about it’s new acquisition method. – Where did I complain about the new acquisition method? I have complained about the abrupt loss of the old acquisition method.(without fair warning, or any reason given)

re: In the same vein, the GoB could have been earned in the time taken here to complain about it’s new acquisition method. – First off I haven’t spent 8 to 10 hours(possibly more) posting in threads about the GoB change. Second, I’m here trying to help out the many PvE only players that this change affected. In the same vein, you could make a thread to try and help the situation of WvW players who want to spend more time in their preferred game mode. Yet you continue to put effort into posting comments on this thread, instead of potentially helping yourself and other WvW players.

re: critique based on fact sans name calling is equivalent to “bashing”? – Implying we are lazy and/or willfully ignorant, and “entitled” = bashing, in my book.

re: concern troll – Are you implying that I don’t care about the state of WvW? While I certainly don’t care as much about WvW or PvP as I do PvE, I am concerned for the state of WvW. It’s one of GW2’s game modes, and contributes to the overall health of the game. And I don’t want unhappy players anywhere in this game. That’s why I want players to be allowed to accomplish their goals in their preferred game mode.

re: In your opinion, they didn’t give you enough of a heads up because it’s a big deal for you. – Insufficient warning is insufficient warning, no matter how much is does/does not matter to me. If you’re genuinely warning people about something, you place that warning where they’re likely to see it. Not where they’re likely not to see it. Once again, I wish I knew a better term for “placing notification or warning where you’re reasonably sure people it’s meant for won’t see it”.

in WvW

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

All these tears are feeding the troll inside me so hard right now.

in WvW

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

So I was away for a long time but before I left I endured WvW to get enough badges to get a Gift of Battle, but I didn’t buy one because I didn’t have the bank space to hold it.

I just came back and read about the changes. Talk about moving the goal posts. It made all of the WvW I had to slog through before meaningless. Clovers and Obsidian shards? I already had those. Obsidian shards are like the easiest thing for the legendary.

Anyway, the point of this thread is not to complain (though I would be remiss to state that at the very least what the devs should have done is mailed every player a ticket to summon that vendor 1 last time) but to talk about WvW.

I want my legendary. So here I am, back in WvW for the reward tracks. I have been here for 30mins and I have not seen a single other living soul. I’ve just been wandering between 2 points back and forth capturing them.

Are they seriously forcing people who want a legendary to do this? I mean there is NOTHING here. It is beyond boring.

Are they really forcing me to finish all of the pve maps to get my legendary? all i wan to do is wvw… you have to do 7-8 hours of wvw, flipping camps etc, i have to finish the entire awful pve map. get over yourself please, we all do things we don’t like for something we want, less complaining, just knuckle down and do it.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

in WvW

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

re: MMOs change, this is something that’s commonly found in their ToS. – Yep. But needless and poorly thought out changes are just that – needless, and poorly thought out. And they’re bad for the game. Resources wasted for no value-ad.

re: You earned some currency that you could have used and didn’t – Yes, because I was given no reasonable warning that the vendor would be abruptly and permanently ripped from the game. And I’m not the only one.

re: Anet didn’t promise or take anything so now you’re just meandering down entitlement avenue calling the change bait and switch – Giving someone an expectation of getting a certain thing in exchange for a certain cost, then abruptly and without fair warning changing what is available sounds like “bait and switch” to me. And I’m sure there’s a more concise term for “placing notification or warning where you’re reasonably sure people it’s meant for won’t see it”, but I don’t know that term. So that’s how I’ll phrase it.

re: now you’re just meandering down entitlement avenue – When someone takes away an opportunity with no proper warning or even giving a reason, I wouldn’t call it “entitlement” to want that opportunity returned.

re: I think the reward track is reasonable amount of effort to ask for absolute, top tier prestige skins. – Absolutely. Going forward it’s a better solution in many ways. (Unless you consider the damage that abruptly dumping in a lot of inexperienced PvE only players will do to WvW) If we had a chance to spend the badges we already have, that reward track would serve to pull a more manageable number of PvE players into WvW. Players that might want to stay and make WvW one of their regular game modes. But making people feel forced to do something is never a good introduction to that thing. Don’t you care about the state of WvW?

re: I don’t remember even remotely implying that I care about what other people do when they’re on the map or why they’re there in the first place – Why don’t you care? Your sig seems to indicate very passionate feelings about WvW. Yet you don’t care why people are there or what they’re doing? You don’t think that a bunch of PvE only players, there only to grind out the GoB track is a bad thing for WvW?

re: I don’t remember calling anyone a “scrub” – You didn’t call us scrubs, I did. Because it’s what I would consider an inexperienced PvE only player, who is just(or primarily) in WvW to grind out the GoB track. Even those of us who are legitimately trying to contribute still aren’t the same as an experienced WvW player, or one that is just invested in WvW. Because we’re not invested in WvW. We’re there for the thing that’s gated behind it, like WvW only players are in PvE. If a player is not invested in PvE, I’d rather they(and other WvW only/preferred players) had WvW alternatives. Just like I want PvE alternatives for PvE only/preferred players.(and for PvP only/preferred players for that matter) People in a game mode should care about that game mode, and want to be there, and enjoy being there.

re: the time taken here to complain about it’s new acquisition method. – Where did I complain about the new acquisition method? I have complained about the abrupt loss of the old acquisition method.(without fair warning, or any reason given)

re: In the same vein, the GoB could have been earned in the time taken here to complain about it’s new acquisition method. – First off I haven’t spent 8 to 10 hours(possibly more) posting in threads about the GoB change. Second, I’m here trying to help out the many PvE only players that this change affected. In the same vein, you could make a thread to try and help the situation of WvW players who want to spend more time in their preferred game mode. Yet you continue to put effort into posting comments on this thread, instead of potentially helping yourself and other WvW players.

re: critique based on fact sans name calling is equivalent to “bashing”? – Implying we are lazy and/or willfully ignorant, and “entitled” = bashing, in my book.

re: concern troll – Are you implying that I don’t care about the state of WvW? While I certainly don’t care as much about WvW or PvP as I do PvE, I am concerned for the state of WvW. It’s one of GW2’s game modes, and contributes to the overall health of the game. And I don’t want unhappy players anywhere in this game. That’s why I want players to be allowed to accomplish their goals in their preferred game mode.

re: In your opinion, they didn’t give you enough of a heads up because it’s a big deal for you. – Insufficient warning is insufficient warning, no matter how much is does/does not matter to me. If you’re genuinely warning people about something, you place that warning where they’re likely to see it. Not where they’re likely not to see it. Once again, I wish I knew a better term for “placing notification or warning where you’re reasonably sure people it’s meant for won’t see it”.

Tl;Dr, you didn’t read patch notes, sucks to be you, i’ll just stroll on by with my gifts of battle, that i bought before change, because i read patch notes.

edit typo

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Players had a couple months warning that this was going to happen. There’s no need for every player to have been able to summon the vendor one last time.

I’m sorry, what warning?
There was no warning in the game launcher, no warning in the news, forums, let alone an in-game mail…

“Also, once the reward tracks feature exits beta testing, the Gift of Battle legendary crafting component will no longer be available as a vendor purchase and will be earned via its own reward track.”

patch notes of spring’s quarterly update. they warned us that once the reward track leaves beta this would happen.

For the love of ………

Go and find for us this fabled place where ANet told us the date that WvW reward tracks would leave beta then. Quote it with a source. Because no one else on here ever saw an actual date for this. Until then stop bringing this up as if it was an “adequate warning”. It had zero mention of a date, not even a timescale on it. It didn’t even so much as say “When WvW reward tracks leave beta in the next few months” No! It just said when they leave beta, whenever the kitten that was, because we were never given a date on that. We just patched our game on April 19th and were surprised with the fact that they were no longer in beta.

Not disputing that burying things in the patch notes was bad, but the date is irrelevant.

It could have been one month after, a year, after. Fact was, things were going to change inevitably and it makes zero sense to not take action immediately.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

HazyDaisy.4107

Things/Changes Anet has made to the game but didn’t warn people about (or did warn, but people didn’t read):

- Additional WPs/POIs/Vistas and hearts added (or in some cases removed) to/from maps after players may have “completed” those map but not “completed” world exploration, thus rendering a multi map search for what’s missing.
-WvW exploration removed from world completion achievement, meaning if you got it out of the way first on a toon (or if you ever had to do it), you spent days (perhaps months) doing something others won’t have to do.
-3 replica JPs (required for an acheivement) that mysteriously vanished for 6 months with DBL allowing anyone new to the game during that time to get the achievement without having to do those puzzles.
-Shatterer meta and Fractal achiements revamped, players given something like a week notice to finish an achievement that was going away for good.
-Past LS rewards no longer obtainable because “you had to be there” or perhaps you were there but were doing wvw exploration for Been there done that instead…
-Hero weapons unobtainable for years, mistforged weapons still unobtainable.
-Plus 5 camp upgrade gone, must join a bigger guild or invite other players to your bank guild to re-earn.
-Retrain manuals gone! 10 gold lost if you bought extra for later use.
-Warbrobe pieces you’d unlocked before account wardrobe change gone/missing/ect, must re-craft or buy again.
-Multi server system/Server pairings – Making recruiting for your wvw server hard, then ultimately impossible.
-Some toys not usable in wvw, basically rendering them and the gems you spent useless if you only run in wvw.
-Trait lines simplified, reducing the number of available line choices from 5 to 3 and thus placing restrictions on the overall number of unique builds.
-WvW achievement requirements drastically decreased, allowing players playing for a year to achieve what others had finallt achieved after playing for 3 years.
-Commander tags now account based rather than character based, which we can all agree is a good thing, unless you bought 4 or more before the change and didn’t log in for the last 2-1/2 years.
-PVE Auto loot and Mentor tags not applicable in WVW/No available wvw Auto loot function until 6 months after PVERS get the option, no word from Anet that Tyria auto loot won’t work in wvw until after everyone had grinded for it, No way for anyone willing to command in wvw to earn a “substitute” tag.
-No gliding in wvw, meaning if you’d spent a day farming in a PVE map, then came into DBL, the first thing you did was fall to your death EVERY TIME!

There are many more changes/Modifications Anet has made that have caused disruptions in everyones personal goals and playstyles or made it easier for one group to get something after others sloshed through it much longer, but the point is, most players across all realms, have swallowed the fact that things have to change in order for them to get better.

If you earned enough badges to purchase a GOB, but for whatever reason didn’t do it…Knowing how often little changes are made to this game that affect you or someone you know as a player, well yes, it’s really no one’s fault but your own for not spending your hard earned badges when you had the chance.

Sorrows Furnace

in WvW

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They announced the removal of WvW from map completion so try again.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/changes-to-world-completion/

Shatterer revamp gave players notice in advance. There was only a couple of old achievements that it would impact. Actually, I don’t think it actually overrode any of them. Players were given about a month’s notice to complete the old fractals. It was nowhere close to a week as you claim.

LS rewards had always been limited to during when they are active. Only recently did they start including vendors where you could purchase some of these.

They gave about a month’s warning about the megaservers. I believe it was part of that several week blog thing where they did a post every day. Whether or not it’s more difficult to recruit for WvW has no bearing on the notification aspect.

I’m not going to bother addressing the rest as it seems you were just choosing things to make the list seem long when the majority have barely anything to do with providing notice to players.

in WvW

Posted by: DeeSystm.1256

DeeSystm.1256

Maybe if you can’t pay attention to change change or handle 10 hours of wvw you don’t deserve a legendary.

“I came to play.” me
r4420k+ blazetrain

in WvW

OriOri.8724

Things/Changes Anet has made to the game but didn’t warn people about (or did warn, but people didn’t read):

- Additional WPs/POIs/Vistas and hearts added (or in some cases removed) to/from maps after players may have “completed” those map but not “completed” world exploration, thus rendering a multi map search for what’s missing.
-WvW exploration removed from world completion achievement, meaning if you got it out of the way first on a toon (or if you ever had to do it), you spent days (perhaps months) doing something others won’t have to do.
-3 replica JPs (required for an acheivement) that mysteriously vanished for 6 months with DBL allowing anyone new to the game during that time to get the achievement without having to do those puzzles.
-Shatterer meta and Fractal achiements revamped, players given something like a week notice to finish an achievement that was going away for good.
-Past LS rewards no longer obtainable because “you had to be there” or perhaps you were there but were doing wvw exploration for Been there done that instead…
-Hero weapons unobtainable for years, mistforged weapons still unobtainable.
-Plus 5 camp upgrade gone, must join a bigger guild or invite other players to your bank guild to re-earn.
-Retrain manuals gone! 10 gold lost if you bought extra for later use.
-Warbrobe pieces you’d unlocked before account wardrobe change gone/missing/ect, must re-craft or buy again.
-Multi server system/Server pairings – Making recruiting for your wvw server hard, then ultimately impossible.
-Some toys not usable in wvw, basically rendering them and the gems you spent useless if you only run in wvw.
-Trait lines simplified, reducing the number of available line choices from 5 to 3 and thus placing restrictions on the overall number of unique builds.
-WvW achievement requirements drastically decreased, allowing players playing for a year to achieve what others had finallt achieved after playing for 3 years.
-Commander tags now account based rather than character based, which we can all agree is a good thing, unless you bought 4 or more before the change and didn’t log in for the last 2-1/2 years.
-PVE Auto loot and Mentor tags not applicable in WVW/No available wvw Auto loot function until 6 months after PVERS get the option, no word from Anet that Tyria auto loot won’t work in wvw until after everyone had grinded for it, No way for anyone willing to command in wvw to earn a “substitute” tag.
-No gliding in wvw, meaning if you’d spent a day farming in a PVE map, then came into DBL, the first thing you did was fall to your death EVERY TIME!

There are many more changes/Modifications Anet has made that have caused disruptions in everyones personal goals and playstyles or made it easier for one group to get something after others sloshed through it much longer, but the point is, most players across all realms, have swallowed the fact that things have to change in order for them to get better.

If you earned enough badges to purchase a GOB, but for whatever reason didn’t do it…Knowing how often little changes are made to this game that affect you or someone you know as a player, well yes, it’s really no one’s fault but your own for not spending your hard earned badges when you had the chance.

Most of these are irrelevant to the discussion at hand, and furthermore many of them are just flat out wrong. People were given notice for some of the changes that you claimed we weren’t given notice for. And those notices came with dates to boot

in WvW

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

You may discuss, argue, fall down and scream about this all you like, But this will not be changed.
So deal with it.
This change did not need a specific date, and did not need more communication. It was in patch notes, I wouldn’t expect a huge fanfare or several articles about a change which isn’t exactly a big deal anyway.
All the playerbase needed to know was that this was going to happen. So it was in the patch notes in the relevant section. You would have had people complain no matter how long or short the Reward Track beta was.

Kitten.

in WvW

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

You may discuss, argue, fall down and scream about this all you like, But this will not be changed.
So deal with it.
This change did not need a specific date, and did not need more communication. It was in patch notes, I wouldn’t expect a huge fanfare or several articles about a change which isn’t exactly a big deal anyway.
All the playerbase needed to know was that this was going to happen. So it was in the patch notes in the relevant section. You would have had people complain no matter how long or short the Reward Track beta was.

This kind of attitude from people just makes me really hope the next WvW change is only announed under “Fractal Beta Testing” or something, in the next wall of text patch note.. Would be interesting to see how many people in these threads suddenly change their tunes about things being announced properly. :P

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

So deal with it.

This kind of attitude from people just makes me really hope the next WvW change is only announed under “Fractal Beta Testing” or something, in the next wall of text patch note.. Would be interesting to see how many people in these threads suddenly change their tunes about things being announced properly. :P

Aye maybe so. But we have been baptized in blood and bullkitten for nigh four winters. That too shall pass.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

HazyDaisy.4107

What’s particularly funny about all the quoting of my last post, is that you all said, I “claimed” we weren’t given notice for this or that. Focusing more on the individual items, and whether or not they were relevant to the topic at hand.

Similar to the April 19th patch notes, my list had several changes mentioned, also similar to the patch notes, in the first paragraph, I said “or were warned, but didn’t read”.

So, you didn’t receive an exact date, but the change was mentioned. It just happened to be mentioned in the notes for the biggest update this year.

Tracks were in Beta for 2 months, the GOB vendor was there the whole time, how long did you need? I don’t mean to sound insensitive, really, but, if 2 months isn’t enough time to gather 500 badges, and the reward track takes 4-8 hours (as estimated by several other players), it seems like the reward track is shorter…

Sorrows Furnace

in WvW

OriOri.8724

What’s particularly funny about all the quoting of my last post, is that you all said, I “claimed” we weren’t given notice for this or that. Focusing more on the individual items, and whether or not they were relevant to the topic at hand.

Similar to the April 19th patch notes, my list had several changes mentioned, also similar to the patch notes, in the first paragraph, I said “or were warned, but didn’t read”.

So, you didn’t receive an exact date, but the change was mentioned. It just happened to be mentioned in the notes for the biggest update this year.

Tracks were in Beta for 2 months, the GOB vendor was there the whole time, how long did you need? I don’t mean to sound insensitive, really, but, if 2 months isn’t enough time to gather 500 badges, and the reward track takes 4-8 hours (as estimated by several other players), it seems like the reward track is shorter…

Its impossible to do a reward track in 4 hours. It takes over 8 hours assuming you have max participation the instant you get in WvW.

in WvW

Najten.2418

They could have been in beta for 6 months, it wasn’t about “farming enough badges” (atleast not for anyone I know, I myself already had over 8000 of the things) it was about not being given proper notice that the change was coming. Yes it was in the patch notes, but (as another individual quoted from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy) “It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying “Beware of the Leopard”.”

Also about the time spent being 4-8? I don’t know where some people get this timeframe from.. They obviously haven’t done the basic maths.
195 is the max tick; 214 if you have the Guild Hall 10% bonus to WvW Reward Track active (214.5 should be rounded up to 215 ANet, just saying…).
The track from start to finish requires you to earn 20000 points; meaning it has to tick atleast 20000/214=93,457… times which we round up to an even 94 since there’s no such thing as a half tick.
The tick is on a 5 minute interval, meaning it takes 94*5=470 minutes to finish a Reward Track. 470 minutes is 7 hours 50 minutes (the same maths without the GH buff gives us 8 hours 35 minutes).
Ofc, this is based on you having max tick the entire time, which isn’t true. It usually takes me 30-60 minutes to get up to max tick depending on what I’m doing and how lucky or unlucky I am with caps/available stuff to do. It also means you need to constantly maintain the tick at max, thus spending these 8-9 ish hours straight in WvW, or you’ll have multiple ramp up times which will extend the time it takes even more.
So anyone claiming it took them less than 8 hours either popped a whole bunch of Potions of WvW Rewards, or are lying/massively underestimating their time spent.

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Wasn’t this issue already addressed in a very definitive way by ArenaNet, as in this is how it will be going forward deal with it pretty much.

in WvW

Posted by: Celsith.2753

Celsith.2753

So deal with it.

It WAS announced properly. It was a change regarding wvw currency and was therefore correctly placed in the wvw section. Be assured that next patch I will read any fractal headed notes as I have fractal relics sitting somehow, and thus have a vested interest in reading that section :p

Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Thundercat Snarf – Thief

in WvW

Haleydawn.3764

It was about not being given proper notice that the change was coming. Yes it was in the patch notes

That, is a proper notice… It’s noone elses fault you can’t spend 5-15mins reading. It was even under it’s correct heading in WvW since GoB can only be obtained in WvW.
“But I don’t play WvW” You’re making a legendary which requires something from WvW, you should read the notes for it. It’s really not that difficult a concept.
“But I already spent time obtaining badges” Why didn’t you buy it ages ago then?

So what exactly are you complaining about?
A WvW change being documented under the WvW heading in patch notes? Blasphemy!
Spending 8hrs in WvW to earn 500 badges compared to spending 8hrs in WvW to complete a reward track? Oh right, Anet changed it to be an active reward instead of a passive one. And rightly so imho. The item in question is part of a Legendary journey, you should have to do other things besides PvE to get one.

I probably spend 1hr per week if that in WvW and I really like this change. I read all patch notes because I spend time in practically all game modes. It’s a shame people can’t be bothered to read patch notes but I bet you all wont be missing the next ones just in case!

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

in WvW

Ayrilana.1396

For those that played the game around launch, how long did it take you to amass the 500 BoH? I seem to remember doing the OS JP daily to gather the badges.

We used to have to work to earn the gift of battle in WvW. This went away with the AP chests and buffing the BoH drops to the point that they essentially became worthless. They haven’t changed the badges, although gave them another purpose, but they did bring it back to where you had to actually play WvW to earn the gift of battle.

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Not sure. I got my first legendary in the first 3 months of the game. I think I focused on BoH last because my computer was crappy at the time. I did daily JP and guild raids took maybe 2 week? Can not remember 4years ago.

BoH are still worthless to older wvwers. 10k badges and nothing you want to spend it on. Yes you can buy siege/wvw ranks, cultural armor at a discount(3000badges to save 50g :P). and some exotics/ascended items. What do you use them on when you have all of that? Still looking for long term goals in wvw.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For those that played the game around launch, how long did it take you to amass the 500 BoH? I seem to remember doing the OS JP daily to gather the badges.

It took me exactly 0 hours to amass 500 BoH for the Gift of Battle for my first legendary. By the time I had a precursor and all the mats, I had earned far more via achievement chests — that was probably about a year after headstart.

(I also earned points via WvW.)

That doesn’t invalidate the point (I think) you wanted to make: ANet always intended the Gift of Battle to be a reward for active WvW play. It was an accident (and an oversight on their part) that it could be obtained passively.

This is why I am in favor of ANet changing the mechanics.

However, I still am not willing to give ANet a pass for their failure to communicate the change (let alone explain their reasoning — we’re only speculating about it). They only way they could have given less notice was to have said nothing at all.

tl;dr ANet apparently has planned for the GoB to depend on active WvW gameplay; they just forgot to, you know, tell us the plan.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in WvW

OriOri.8724

It took me exactly 0 hours to amass 500 BoH for the Gift of Battle for my first legendary. By the time I had a precursor and all the mats, I had earned far more via achievement chests — that was probably about a year after headstart.

That doesn’t invalidate the point (I think) you wanted to make: ANet always intended the Gift of Battle to be a reward for active WvW play. It was an accident (and an oversight on their part) that it could be obtained passively.

However, I still am not willing to give ANet a pass for their failure to communicate the change (let alone explain their reasoning — we’re only speculating about it). They only way they could have given less notice was to have said nothing at all.

tl;dr ANet apparently has planned for the GoB to depend on active WvW gameplay; they just forgot to, you know, tell us the plan.

I don’t understand why people aren’t understanding this. A lot of people who were/still are upset over this change don’t mind having to play WvW to earn it now. They are more upset by the complete lack of adequate notice on ANet’s part. That is not ok, and the company would be ill advised to implement such a major change to the game in a similar way in the future. Its a great way to drive off loyal players.

in WvW

Ayrilana.1396

Read the rest of my post please and not just the part you decided to quote.

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

I don’t understand why people aren’t understanding this. A lot of people who were/still are upset over this change don’t mind having to play WvW to earn it now. They are more upset by the complete lack of adequate notice on ANet’s part. That is not ok, and the company would be ill advised to implement such a major change to the game in a similar way in the future. Its a great way to drive off loyal players.

Because it’s an extraordinary amount of tears for such a minor inconvenience, and one that did carry some advanced notice, even if some people missed it.

An enormous thread has already been shut down over this because there was nothing more to discuss, and this thread is just another loop of the same complaint from a tiny number of players.

To be clear, everybody understands what the people upset by this change are saying, it’s just such a non issue (for the vast majority of players, and in the sense of the “extra burden” put on the affected few for such a trivial thing), that there’s little room for sympathy.

And, no, this wasn’t a “major change”… a vendor was removed. This change is in line with removing the crafting stations from Wvw.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

OriOri.8724

And, no, this wasn’t a “major change”… a vendor was removed. This change is in line with removing the crafting stations from Wvw.

………………….

In line with removing crafting stations from WvW??? If by removing crafting stations you instead meant and update we didn’t get wherein ANet decided that for WvW players they’re gathered resources were no longer useful for crafting and now you had to do zone and map completion to get brand new materials used to craft the same items as always then yes that would be in line with removing the GoB vendor. The change didn’t just remove him. It also made all GoB worthless. Its 100% different from just removing a few crafting stations. Its not like they were the only crafting stations in the game.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Badges are not useless… they provide income, and a decent amount too. Seeing the very different personalities on here make this thread very humorous. I’m one of those fly by the seat of my pants, roll with the punches type of players… so it’s no sweat off my back. I’m used to Anet making strange changes for their own reasons. But the amount of time many people have spent trolling the boards versus submitting complaints to anet. Could have had multiple GoB’s already completed.

While I still have empathy for those who had lots of BoH and never spent them for whatever their own reasons were … I feel it’s time to get back up off the ground, dust yourself off and do something different. Anet has made changes like this throughout the entirety of the game. If anyone remembers for example … power levelling cooking at the games release with karma vendor items? No? … how about the change to the trebuchet spot from garri to bay on the borderlands? No again? … what about battle standard and npc’s? Or when revealed never existed?

I mean they have been making changes all along whether it be environmental, balance, terrain, or item… and they have generally said ’we’re looking at this possible change’ then change it and report out in the update.

I still feel sorry for those who accumulated thousands of badges and failed to action, or was waiting until the last minute (that never came) before handing hem in. I imagine all those people who may have been on hiatus and picked up the game again months later will also be just as confused when they come back to a game that is slightly different because of it’s evolution. Kinda how I felt when I came back, saw nodes in towers/keeps etc … and these tactivators and shield generators. I was like wtf is all this junk? Only those people will be like… wtf is the vendor?

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Yea some player failed to act in a timely manner. New legendaries were put on hold and I do not see myself craft anymore. I may craft a few with my alts using the gifts of battle I got before change :P. Still find it odd to complain about this change when legendaries are a long term goal 300-500 game hrs to make.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in WvW

Haleydawn.3764

It also made all GoB worthless.

I am wondering why you think this. GoB only has value if you need one. Since it is account bound. Now, instead of passivly earning one with Achievement chest badges, you need to actively spend time in WvW. Time, is far more valuable than anything else, in or outside of game.

I will also relink the Dev response which renders anyone arguing against this change completely moot.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

in WvW

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

It also made all GoB worthless.

I am wondering why you think this. GoB only has value if you need one. Since it is account bound. Now, instead of passivly earning one with Achievement chest badges, you need to actively spend time in WvW. Time, is far more valuable than anything else, in or outside of game.

I will also relink the Dev response which renders anyone arguing against this change completely moot.

Absolutely hilarious.

3 simple things.

1. You are intentionally ignoring the fact that many players actually played WvW and earned the badges before they were added to achievement chests, and read all the patch notes, waiting for an announcement of when the changes would take affect, but it was not announced, just implemented. Wait till it happens to you. After all, you just said it’s ok to do.

2. Another 2500 plus views in this thread added to all those other threads mass merged to bury the issue, that resulted in 10 times that many views. Now add all the players who have not even discovered their loss due to poor communications and the resulting threads they will be posting here far into the future. All calling more and continued attention to this failure.

3. Where did you think new WvW players would be coming from? The PvE players have now seen first hand the bitterness there. The hatred of anyone not playing WvW at an elite level. The desperation of wanting the game mode to continue despite the obvious lack of interest by most players. (do you really think they will ever give up the transfer fee’s to actually fix WvW?) And, the fact that more and more people will see this issue with the next and the next and the next thread.

Seriously, the only thing I can agree with is that the Gift of battle has lost it’s value.
It’s now too risky to commit the time and effort to a legendary component hunt when what you have acquired can be made useless so easily without a common uproar from all players.

This matter’s little to me now. I’m moving on, but stop shooting yourselves in the foot and posting this nonsense about it having been done correctly. It’s only alienating the potential players you want and desperately need.

in WvW

HazyDaisy.4107

I guess now is a good time to point out to someone, somewhere (though I’m not sure where exactly) that the verbage for Badges of Honor on ones account wallet needs to be corrected.

Sorrows Furnace

in WvW

Najten.2418

Unfortunately this isn’t even the first time they’ve implemented a major change without (proper) prior notice, and it probably won’t be the last.. This is however the first time I can personally recall that they have been so utterly lackluster in responding or trying to rectify the issue caused to players.
And if they wanted people to WvW for GoB, why not start by NOT rewarding Badges of Honor from doing other stuff (Achievement Points in general)? Now THAT would have made bloody sense..

in WvW

Posted by: Threat.7450

Threat.7450

The PvE ppl who missed out in buying their GoB are actually quite right… There really wasn’t much notice about the removal. Yes, I’m sure there was some notice, but not a lot. I, for example, bought my GoB in Tuesday morning. U was even a few badges short because I spend a bunch crafting guild siege and forgot about GoB for my legendary. So I earned some badges and bought it.. then went to bed.
When I woke up and went to craft my final pieces and the legendary, GoB vendor had been removed. I literally LOL’d. That was lucky. I honestly had no idea.
With that being said, I selected the GoB track so I can bank one for next legendary, and that has already be completed, and another track, and that’s without using the potions.

tl;dr – yes, ppl have a right to be upset about the lack of vendor removal notice. No, it’s not a big deal to earn GoB, so just go do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Moderator

[This topic was discussed at length with staff feedback here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Gift-of-Battle-Feedback-merged/6242818 This post is now closed. Thanks!]