Glicko Rating Manual Adjustments 7/29

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Also, 3 years in the game and we still have this forum bug.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

(edited by Jeknar.6184)

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Also, 3 years in the game and we still have this forum bug.

Remind me to remind you that I was right after a week or 2.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Jeknar lol bud if they adjust the gliko like they said if CD wins by that much they will gain like 100 Gliko per week,.

This is what will happen.

SoS will probably drop down. CD will go Up. CD and BI will hard focous YB. YB will go down SoS will go back up.

After About 4 weeks. It will be SBI/CD/SoS T3

YB/DH/SF T4

No matter what T4 will be bad becasue DH and SF are dead.

Jeknar is right about how Glicko works. That’s why its so bad for WvW matchmaking.

If SoS drops down, big if – Ken didn’t do his computations for the +200 but he did it for +185 and it was only 30% chance CD would move up, then SoS’s real Glicko will be much greater than SF and DH so SoS will lose a lot of Glicko and get stuck in T4 themselves. Which is why I assume that Anet will continue to adjust the “matchmaking” Glicko until the end of these linkings.

And the end of the linkings is only 4 weeks away anyway. So CD may likely be stuck in T4 for the whole time.

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Will be interesting whatever happens in the end with CD. I honestly feel they are in for a rude awakening.

Never the less the fundamental problem is that we are seeing this has a “server” ranking and ego thing rather than bringing it down to the lower levels of Guilds, Players, and maybe future, Alliances. We are, after all, the people who make the game fun.

If it was me I would have put those college interns or bonus money into web portal and SQL guru’s and let the statistics do the talking. There goes your ego, pride, and bragging rights for all the world to see.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

Previous

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Hey everyone,

After reading through the comments and feedback, and some deliberation among the team – we have decided to adjust Crystal Desert by +300 for this match only, making them more likely to advance out of tier 4. Next week we will adjust them to +200.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Well, that make CD chance of rolling T3 over 50%. Maybe even more than 60%. A good change imo. And they are likely to win the 100 extra rating next week anyway by demolishing T3, so they won’t miss it when you remove it.

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Hey everyone,

After reading through the comments and feedback, and some deliberation among the team – we have decided to adjust Crystal Desert by +300 for this match only, making them more likely to advance out of tier 4. Next week we will adjust them to +200.

I think you need to do some serious revisions to your glicko system if we are getting re-linked every 2 months. It’s taken us 3-4 weeks to get a match up that wasn’t a complete blow out for Whiteside Ridge which was last weeks. This week we’re against GH and Dzagonur, 2 servers we cannot hope to compete against in coverage so we will have a complete blow out match up where people don’t even bother playing as outnumbered will never leave our bar.

in WvW

Posted by: Aitadis.8269

Aitadis.8269

T2 here we come.

Illusionary Mesmer
[oof] Crystal Desert

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

T2 here we come.

You know what is funny? You ARE close enough to roll T2 with 300+.

in WvW

Posted by: Radian.2478

Radian.2478

Hey everyone,

Which poster(s) comments and feedback did this come from?

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Of us saying that even with 200+ they still wouldn’t make it to T3 with a relative high rate? Cmon, it’s all over this thread.

in WvW

Posted by: Serkit.7836

Serkit.7836

Hey everyone,

Thank you for this.

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Like I said I am right and you are wrong jeknar and other people. Thanks.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I don’t know wtf you talking about. They gave enough rating to put CD above all T3 servers. I would be super mad if they rolled T4.

in WvW

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

So now that this weeks matches are set, how is this going to play out for next week? And after?

Even though SBI soundly outscored YB and SoS last week, they got a terrible RNG roll, and ended up in T4. Because of the rating gap, no matter how well they realistically do, they lose a huge amount of rating. It might be 50 points, it might be 150. Exact same thing would’ve happened if it was YB or SoS. They could outscore both DH and SF combined and still lose. Whatever T3 server rolls badly loses, because it’s just not realistic to outscore by a large enough margin when the (permanent) ratings are that far off.

Will SBI get a temporary bonus now? Will CD still get theirs?

Whoever ends up with the temporary matchmaker bonus each week, longterm, with the way glicko works, aren’t we just pushing the gap between T2 and T3? That’s no better than what we had before.

I don’t think a temporary bonus to the matchmaker is a solution that’s going to work. I think a better solution would be some kind of normalization of the ratings when situations warrant. As an example, based on last weeks ratings, 50 points could be removed from all 9 T1, and T2, and T3 servers permanent rating and 150 points given to each of the T4 servers.

(edited by Tamasan.6457)

in WvW

Posted by: Mario.8215

Mario.8215

It was refreshing to see a new server in t4 finally. Actually enjoyed the fights tonight, looking forward to seeing how the week goes.

Mario X [Mika]
Ferguson Crossing

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

If they keep the 200 rating they gave to DH and SF, SBI won’t have to win really hard to move back up. But if they keep SF and Dh at 1410 and 1335, yeah SBI is screwed.

in WvW

Posted by: Mario.8215

Mario.8215

If they keep the 200 rating they gave to DH and SF, SBI won’t have to win really hard to move back up. But if they keep SF and Dh at 1410 and 1335, yeah SBI is screwed.

eh…only ~4 weeks left of this linking, mine as well enjoy it and have some variety imo

Mario X [Mika]
Ferguson Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

Only because they gave CD an extra 100 points at the last minute! A one-time fluke does not prove your point to the same degree as repeatable results.

In other news, CD is trailing SoS and YB by a fair margin…guess they were expecting to be in T4 again and got caught with their pants down…they’d better wake up, smell the coffee and get to work!

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I think you need to do some serious revisions to your glicko system if we are getting re-linked every 2 months. It’s taken us 3-4 weeks to get a match up that wasn’t a complete blow out for Whiteside Ridge which was last weeks. This week we’re against GH and Dzagonur, 2 servers we cannot hope to compete against in coverage so we will have a complete blow out match up where people don’t even bother playing as outnumbered will never leave our bar.

Yep I keep saying this, the system clearly does not work.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

I find it interesting anet rewards CD for have multiple servers on their team and blobbing up. Now you can see YB and SOS pulling way already. Clearly, the system isn’t working at all.

T4 has gotten worse and I hear T2 is a joke.

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Yes, CD is trending in 3rd but it is somewhat close. At least they have a closer spread than they had last week. On the other hand, DH/EB lose CD and gain SBI which is also trending a similar spread between servers and points.

Look – the question is simple really. Arena Net – what is it you are honestly trying to accomplish here? And lastly, what did you expect padding some servers with their score?

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Lol maybe t4 isn’t so bad now. When our guild groups are on its basically just a gold farm even massively outnumbered. You can have the ppt and ktrain as long as we get to roll over omniblobs like they’re paper. Good trade.

in WvW

Posted by: Heimlich.3065

Heimlich.3065

I find it interesting anet rewards CD for have multiple servers on their team and blobbing up. Now you can see YB and SOS pulling way already. Clearly, the system isn’t working at all.

T4 has gotten worse and I hear T2 is a joke.

The Glicko system can’t produce good outcomes when there are only 1 or 2 match setups that are even close to satisfying for the majority of servers.

Most possible matches would be blowout, un-fun slaughters. Using Glicko to find the least-bad matchups doesn’t fix the underlying problem at all.

in WvW

Posted by: kathy.8291

kathy.8291

I like to know how the heck did HOD drop to tier 4 when we have been winning by a landslide????

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I wouldn’t call a 50k lead a landslike when I’m used to see 200k-300k leads. Besides that was the only week SBI/HoD won because all the previous ones Maguuma was still in T3.

But yeah, I get your point.

in WvW

Posted by: Lawrencii.1356

Lawrencii.1356

I like to know how the heck did HOD drop to tier 4 when we have been winning by a landslide????

SBI and SoS been rolled over by Mag for months. SBI only won last MU because PPTSTRESS and look where that put your server. RNGesus for once saved SoS from the drop, will see next week.

¬ I A Euphy ¬ SoS ¬

in WvW

RodOfDeath.5247

Lol maybe t4 isn’t so bad now. When our guild groups are on its basically just a gold farm even massively outnumbered. You can have the ppt and ktrain as long as we get to roll over omniblobs like they’re paper. Good trade.

I will agree on that, there’s some hidden gem drivers on Dbay that are pretty awesome. I even got the coconuts to tag up on my necro for a bit and do well.

But I would like to see closer scores overall. I know that’s asking a lot but for the benefit of players and the risk of demoralizing driving more players outta wvw. We can’t lose anymore, fact anet and you’re doing an excellent job driving them off.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

But I would like to see closer scores overall. I know that’s asking a lot but for the benefit of players and the risk of demoralizing driving more players outta wvw. We can’t lose anymore, fact anet and you’re doing an excellent job driving them off.

Unfortunely it’s too late for T4 for that. Maybe 3 weeks ago we would still have people, but now everyone is pretty much gone to other servers or is farming Bloodstone Fen to even bother doing WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

While I agree that SBI and HoD are only just picking up because of Maguuma moving up, the matchup now isn’t really fun. A lot of guildgroups on SBI and HoD reduced their effort, because there hardly were any fights and rolling over enemy BLs with a lot more people on our side feels really unfair against those servers.
Of course this will lead to less points for us and we will not win with the margin we should for the glicko because of pity-pve.

About +200/300 glicko stuff: Why does there have to be a luck-effect on matchmaking anyway? If arenanet thinks some team should play t3, they could just let them play t3, just like we had no say in the server-combinations that were done (SBI +HoD is a lot of fun btw. and a good combination imho). If a server plays another server for half a year and gets demoralized, just change it up. Why the luck? Just so you can blame the roll if people aren’t satisfied with it?

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

About +200/300 glicko stuff: Why does there have to be a luck-effect on matchmaking anyway? If arenanet thinks some team should play t3, they could just let them play t3, just like we had no say in the server-combinations that were done (SBI +HoD is a lot of fun btw. and a good combination imho). If a server plays another server for half a year and gets demoralized, just change it up. Why the luck? Just so you can blame the roll if people aren’t satisfied with it?

Because, in the past, servers had to overcome the glicko from the server in the tier above to be able to move up and it would make the matchups even more stale than they already are. Adding the random element allowed servers who were winning at the tier below to have a chance to roll a matchup on the tier above and compete for it.

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

yea but arenanet can just say that a server moves up without “rolling it out”, even if a server doesn’t have higher glicko, or can they not?
I still don’t understand the advantage of a chance system over a deterministic one.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Unfortunely it’s too late for T4 for that. Maybe 3 weeks ago we would still have people, but now everyone is pretty much gone to other servers or is farming Bloodstone Fen to even bother doing WvW.

Yeah getting really empty. Feels like most of the time we’re running worse than GoM numbers pre-link. I really am about done myself. Our new matchup buddy doesn’t like to fight or roam and I log on much more than the one guild group that farms them. They mostly just cap things every 10 mins in a huge circle. It’s the most boring thing I’ve ever seen. It’s a literal eotm worthy ktrain without as many uplevels.

I don’t trust the other tiers to be much better at this point though. Not sure where to go or whether it’s just hopeless.

in WvW

RodOfDeath.5247

Yeah getting really empty. Feels like most of the time we’re running worse than GoM numbers pre-link. I really am about done myself. Our new matchup buddy doesn’t like to fight or roam and I log on much more than the one guild group that farms them. They mostly just cap things every 10 mins in a huge circle. It’s the most boring thing I’ve ever seen. It’s a literal eotm worthy ktrain without as many uplevels.

I don’t trust the other tiers to be much better at this point though. Not sure where to go or whether it’s just hopeless.

Same, I transfer around a lot because I just save my mats and sell gold to gems. Every single tier is the same man, there’s no difference. People want to believe their tier is the fight tier and all that trash, but in reality, all the same vanilla ice cream flavor. WvW has certainly lost it’s identity. Game mode is just done with little diveristy……..

in WvW

Posted by: Clownmug.8357

Clownmug.8357

Does anyone remember the reason why we have this glicko match making system rather than a simple one up, one down system? There’s obviously something wrong when it requires manual changes to attempt creating a fair matchup, then ends up creating one just as lopsided, if not worse.

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-6-June-World-Linking-Schedule-CLOSED/page/5#post6197744

June 11th 2016, 08:09

Ok…Pandora’s Gennie in a Box has been opened.

What does this magical crystal box reveal?

The following is an opinion that could be right, but I’m hoping it’s not.

You be the judge & decide for yourself…

Snip 8<

Long Term WvW Ecosystem will depend upon ANet’s ability to skillfully manipulate Population & Score.

To be “Efficient”…ANet has to be given free reign to Manipulate both Population & Score.

Balanced & Fair Match-Ups will be an illusion based on ANet’s skill & speed at Manipulating these variables.

Snip 8<

ANet will constantly get cursed by those that feel their match-ups aren’t good for them.

Wouldn’t it be better to let the Players Drive & Choose their Match-Ups…yet…ANet Control the Flow & Tempo of these Match-Ups?

King Of The Hill Fight Model would allow you to change the Match-Up process into a Self Service Mode for individual & large groups of players to enjoy…imho

You might not need to do any Glicko Rating Manual Adjustments…if you change the Fight Model.

Yours truly,
Diku

Possible Better Long Term Solution – Google Search – wvg world vs globes

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Does anyone remember the reason why we have this glicko match making system rather than a simple one up, one down system? There’s obviously something wrong when it requires manual changes to attempt creating a fair matchup, then ends up creating one just as lopsided, if not worse.

From the outside that match seems super close. Agreed with the rest of this though.
There’s enough population amongst all of the server pairings that a 1 up 1 down system would work perfectly fine. It would increase match variety, too.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: rhayan.9580

rhayan.9580

Hey everyone,

Please reconsider this, adding manual adjustment only made things worse for T4. SBI/HoD convincingly won T3 last week (50K pts ahead), and now were losing tons of glicko even though were winning by a large gap. Adding 200 pts to CD would put their glicko way ahead of SBI/HoD, making us most likely to roll back into T4. Doing manual adjustment was a mistake, please stop.

Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Doing manual adjustment was a mistake, please stop.

So you are saying that they should just have left CD stuck in T4 for the entire link?

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Doing manual adjustment was a mistake, please stop.

So you are saying that they should just have left CD stuck in T4 for the entire link?

On the bright side, CD is also draining glicko from YB/SoS, so next reset, I think all 4 servers are going to be closer to each others, but further apart from T2.

On the negative side, T4 is going to end up with “what T3 reject server do we get this week…”

They really should put some kind of locks on the Glicko, either a max/min number to avoid too rampant run-aways. Or a small adjuster each week, subtracting/adding a small amount to each server to slowly focus them back toward the median (1500). Or just reset it each linking and let the chaos sort itself out for a month, before it settles again.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Sadly, its a 4 server group trying to fit into a 3 server hole.

Instead of doing the adding 200 to CD, just rotate down a different server each week. Send YB next and then SoS. In either case, the other T4 teams are in for a rough ride.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

On the negative side, T4 is going to end up with “what T3 reject server do we get this week…”

“…to rofl-stomp us?” (finishing your sentence, because population/coverage of the other 2 server pairs in T4, DH and SF, are nowhere near any other server pair that might drop into T4)