Glicko Temporary Manual Adjustments 10/7

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

We are going to make several temporary Glicko rating adjustments for tomorrow’s resets.

Northern Shiverpeaks: +150
Northern Shiverpeaks has been leading tier 4 for the past several weeks and we believe that moving them to tier 3 will create more competitive matches for tier 4 and tier 3. This adjustment will give Northern Shiverpeaks ~72% to move to tier 3 and ~28% to move to tier 2.

Dragonbrand: -150
Dragonbrand is not very competitive at tier 3 and we believe moving them to tier 4 will give them a better chance at being competitive. This adjustment will give Dragonbrand ~83% to move to tier 4 and ~17% to stay in tier 3.

Yak’s Bend: replace +150 with +75
We believe the +150 adjustment to Yak’s Bends is now too high. They still need a slight adjustment to remain in tier 1 where they are competitive so we believe adjusting it to be +75 is more balanced. This adjustment will give Yak’s Bend ~64% to stay in tier 1 and ~36% to move to tier 2.

We evaluated EU matchups as well. Riverside, Drakkar Lake, Jade Sea, and Vizunah Square are the worlds that could be adjusted for potentially more competitive matchups. However, those worlds have good enough odds to move on reset without any adjustments so we decided to not make any temporary adjustments for EU at this time.

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

If YB is winning the T1 matchup, they need to remain in T1. They would demolish T2 at this point. 75 might actually be too low in this case.

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Honestly, currently T2 is cursed to always have a T1 reject. Even TC, which seemed to be the weakest of the 4, demolished T2 last week.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Logothx.5628

Logothx.5628

I am a little horrified that Yb are having their glicko manually adjusted and not earning their place in tier 1 when they solely play a pvd game and avoid fights at every opportunity.

How competitive are they really with a 0.7 k/d ratio when compared to Tc or Maguuma with 1.1 and 1.2 respectively in the current NA matchup? Sure they play a sneaky back capping PPT game that leads to warscore but is that all the devs use as a metric for a free hand out?

Is this the style of game play the devs really want to promote to exclude one of the other servers from T1?

I have no dislike of Yb inherently because they provide so many loot bags but should they be artificially helped into a tier they obviously don’t belong in atm?

(edited by Logothx.5628)

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I am a little horrified that Yb are having their glicko manually adjusted and not earning their place in tier 1 when they solely play a pvd game and avoid fights at every opportunity.

How competitive are they really with a 0.7 k/d ratio when compared to Tc or Maguuma with 1.1 and 1.2 respectively in the current NA matchup? Sure they play a sneaky back capping PPT game that leads to warscore but is that all the devs use a metric for a free hand out?

Is this the style of game play the devs really want to promote to exclude one of the other servers from T1?

I have no dislike of Yb inherently because they provide so many loot bags but should they be artificially helped into a tier they obviously don’t belong in atm?

You are contradicting yourself here buddy… They are reducing the +150 adjustment they made before to only +75 since YB is being competitive at T1 scorewise. Which mean they are REDUCING the chance of YB rolling T1 and not giving them a steady holding in it.

And yes, warscore is the metric they use. Much better than KDR which can be inherited from only engaging when you are sure you can win promoting people to run away and fight when only outnumbering (happens a lot regardless of KDR tbh). If we were going to judge for KDR, FA would keep bouncing between T2 and T3 everytime because they are always at 0.7 on T2 and 1.5+ on T3 when we already saw that FA shouldn’t be on T3 (When YB moved up and FA went down when it should have been DB).

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Posted by: Logothx.5628

Logothx.5628

@ jeknar ~ No disrepect Jeknar but there is no contradiction in my post regarding the OP in that i was shocked at learning Yb was getting any adjustment at all. It is quite obvious that Anet was reducing the +150 adjustment to +75.

You have a point about the warscore being the ONLY metric which is being used to exclude much better opponents in any match up.
My view is only that i value good fights rather than siege hugging / back capping.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

@ jeknar ~ No disrepect Jeknar but there is no contradiction in my post regarding the OP in that i was shocked at learning Yb was getting any adjustment at all. It is quite obvious that Anet was reducing the +150 adjustment to +75.

YB received that adjustment because there was 100 glicko difference between T2 and T3, and there was some crying from T3 players (SoS/SBI) about how YB had to move up because they didn’t belonged there. Anet gave them 150 so they could roll up, and there were salty tears about YB being manually adjusted all over this forum, regardless of the fact that YB was winning T2 by a large margin.
Sure, their KDR blows, but someone has to be the loser of the fights. All matchups tend to have at least one server that is at 0.8 or lower.

You have a point about the warscore being the ONLY metric which is being used to exclude much better opponents in any match up.
My view is only that i value good fights rather than siege hugging / back capping.

The view that only YB do that is old. Seriously, I’ve seen as much siege humping from TC as I’ve seen from YB. Every server have these people who refuse to fight and will hide behind walls/siege.
Honestly, if YB was running from all fights like everyone is saying why would their KDR be so low? They shouldn’t be dying if they aren’t even fighting amirite? They may not be the best fighters but they are surely out there trying.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Happy to see NSP move onto T3….was getting ridiculous. Happy also to see new blood coming to T4.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

It’s because ANET knows that YB destroys any tier they’re in due to their PPT nature, and T1 has been nothing but PPT dead for the longest, so they’re a perfect match. Keep them up there, and do not let them leave. That special hell is reserved for servers who care about PPT.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Platinumz.8756

Platinumz.8756

I don’t know why people are getting bent over YB. T1 is where all the best PPT servers end up in. There is no other way getting up there. PPK doesn’t provide enough to make a significant difference.

There is no magical T1 fight Tier. Honestly there are more fights happening in lower tiers because people down there have no care for PPT.

If you want more fights move down to a lower Tier server. Its that simple.

i5 3570K @ 4GHz
8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
Nvidia GTX 560ti SLI OC

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I don’t know why people are getting bent over YB. T1 is where all the best PPT servers end up in. There is no other way getting up there. PPK doesn’t provide enough to make a significant difference.

There is no magical T1 fight Tier. Honestly there are more fights happening in lower tiers because people down there have no care for PPT.

If you want more fights move down to a lower Tier server. Its that simple.

1. You probably don’t see it if you’re on YB but there is a difference playing against YB and every other server in the game. YB always back caps and runs away from fights, moreso than every other server in T1 and T2. YB specifically targets dead zones in a servers coverage and exploits it. And YB relies on siege a lot more than other servers. And an issue is that other servers are copying them.

2. If someone is not in NA they really don’t have a choice in moving to lower tiers. OCX for example can really only fit in 1 tier now. SEA is effectively the same.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

If we’re gonna start adjusting glicko like this, why not just make it fully RNG. Oh so your server won the matchup? Roll D12. 10-12 you get +100 points, 6-9 you get -50 points, otherwise you get 0 points.

Problem solved.

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I am a little horrified that Yb are having their glicko manually adjusted and not earning their place in tier 1…

“Not earning their place”? They’re winning it. What are you on about?

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

This is a very dangerous rode to go down to want end is this for?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

Whether or not they earned/didn’t earn their place is irrelevant. They should have almost an 80-90% chance of staying there if they are currently winning the T1 matchup. Let TC fall to T2. They will win, but that’s okay. They are at least fun to fight.

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: TheMountain.6204

TheMountain.6204

“If YB is winning the T1 matchup, they need to remain in T1. They would demolish T2 at this point. 75 might actually be too low in this case.”

-Agreed

Re: ppt tactics and k/d ratios, look beyond just the numbers. The K/D is a result of the tactics, not the ability of the server to play blob vs blob and bagging their way to a win.
I would be more specific on why servers lose to YB but have higher K/D numbers but then I may be giving away useful information. If they feel K/D > score then let them have their fun. If they decide to try to win then let them figure out what they are doing wrong and it’s not as simple as ppt and recapping

in WvW

Posted by: Caliburn.1845

Caliburn.1845

Thank you for being so transparent and honest about these manual adjustments Mckenna.

I’m still troubled about whether or not manual adjustments are a good or bad thing for WvW.

But I am thankful you are telling us exactly what you are doing and why.

Caliburn.1845, Monsters Inc.
Darkhaven>Dragonbrand>Blackgate>Maguuma>Yaks Bend>Stormbluff Isle>Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Thank you for being so transparent and honest about these manual adjustments Mckenna.

I’m still troubled about whether or not manual adjustments are a good or bad thing for WvW.

But I am thankful you are telling us exactly what you are doing and why.

It’s a little of both. It is good in that it helps compensate for glicko not being fast enough to provide better match ups for a variety of reasons, one important factor is real time statistics like population. Servers who are dominating a tier might find themselves in what has been referred to as “glicko hell” where there is very slow movement until they are finally moved up. This leads to many weeks of blowout matches that are not fun for anyone except those that like to ktrain empty maps and spawn camp.

So with anet manually adjusting the glicko scores, they are basically just speeding up the process, it is not meant to manipulate match ups in any devious way, they are not showing favoritism to any server, and it’s not because some people on the forum asked them to…seriously people stop with that nonsense. It is just an effort to help alleviate a larger problem that would only get worse over time and cause more players to stop playing because of bad match ups.

The bad side of this is mainly public perception. Some people will start expecting this kind of intervention from anet, some will start their own conspiracy theories as to why X server was bumped up or down.

Either way, it just points to a lot of server instability. They need to implement linking in a better way to stabilize servers, because the way it is currently implemented will just continue to cause these issues.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

(edited by X T D.6458)

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

The bad side of this is mainly public perception. Some people will start expecting this kind of intervention from anet, some will start their own conspiracy theories as to why X server was bumped up or down.

Nope. That’s part of it but not the meat filling.

The bad side is that it rewards stacking behavior. Just stack a server so it starts winning a match by a landslide and Anet will manually intervene regardless of whether players on that server want it or not.

Yes, I find it extremely ironic I posted four hours before McKenna on Snowreap’s thread sarcastically suggesting a glicko adjustment for NSP and here we are with exactly that.

IMHO there shouldn’t be a need to manually adjust. If manual interventions are felt to be needed, then it points to the implementation of Glicko needing adjustment. I’d also review the randomization roll.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Dhemize.8649

Dhemize.8649

Does anyone remember the complete destruction of FA and SoS during YB’s T1 push where T2 was walled off from the top and bottom, preventing any escape?

Does anyone recall T3 before that where they were decimated for about a YEAR until they finally had a server switch? T4 actually avoided rolling T3.

Do you guys actually enjoy having one server obliterate two others for months on end before they “earn the right” to move up?

Do you guys actually believe that THIS will be the beginning of server stacking?

Lol….. just lol…. my god.

(edited by Dhemize.8649)

in WvW

X T D.6458

The bad side is that it rewards stacking behavior. Just stack a server so it starts winning a match by a landslide and Anet will manually intervene regardless of whether players on that server want it or not.

Yes, I find it extremely ironic I posted four hours before McKenna on Snowreap’s thread sarcastically suggesting a glicko adjustment for NSP and here we are with exactly that.

IMHO there shouldn’t be a need to manually adjust. If manual interventions are felt to be needed, then it points to the implementation of Glicko needing adjustment. I’d also review the randomization roll.

A bigger motivator for stacking on a new server is bad matchups, if a group/player cannot have fun on their server, and this continues for a long time they will leave simple as that. Getting steamrolled for weeks, even months at a time with no hope in sight is a bigger danger to server stability.

In all honesty, I never hear people say they transfer because they want to win lol, and I have friends in a lot of wvw guilds who have been on many servers. Their reason was always bad matchups and a need for a better playing environment.

(edited by X T D.6458)

in WvW

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

A bigger motivator for stacking on a new server is bad matchups, if a group/player cannot have fun on their server, and this continues for a long time they will leave simple as that. Getting steamrolled for weeks, even months at a time with no hope in sight is a bigger danger to server stability.

In all honesty, I never hear people say they transfer because they want to win lol, and I have friends in a lot of wvw guilds who have been on many servers. Their reason was always bad matchups and a need for a better playing environment.

That is not true.
Truth is ppl love bad matchups as long as they are on the overwhelming winning side.
The history tells us, the top servers in T2 and T3 always become the choice of bandwagoners. Those who transfer always pick the server that is already winning and just snowball the effect to make their win even more dominating.

in WvW

X T D.6458

That is not true.
Truth is ppl love bad matchups as long as they are on the overwhelming winning side.
The history tells us, the top servers in T2 and T3 always become the choice of bandwagoners. Those who transfer always pick the server that is already winning and just snowball the effect to make their win even more dominating.

If a group or player wants to play in a specific tier why would they go to the server that is being steamrolled every week. Obviously they will go to the stronger server because it is working its way up and is more active, they are not necessarily doing it because they want to win, there’s no reward for winning lol. There is only the perception of an active server that is rising up in the ranks.

in WvW

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

That is not true.

If a group or player wants to play in a specific tier why would they go to the server that is being steamrolled every week. Obviously they will go to the stronger server because it is working its way up and is more active, they are not necessarily doing it because they want to win, there’s no reward for winning lol. There is only the perception of an active server that is rising up in the ranks.

It is not about reward. Majority just want an easy ‘i win’ button. Simple as that.

And this is exactly the reason why WvW is always shrinking. Players transfer to bigger servers. The people left being severely outnumbered will stop playing. This will just happen again and again. Overtime, you lose population.

Why do you think it is a good thing to encourage players transferring to winning servers? The end result is always that the whole game mode will hurt.

in WvW

X T D.6458

That is not true.

It is not about reward. Majority just want an easy ‘i win’ button. Simple as that.

And this is exactly the reason why WvW is always shrinking. Players transfer to bigger servers. The people left being severely outnumbered will stop playing. This will just happen again and again. Overtime, you lose population.

Why do you think it is a good thing to encourage players transferring to winning servers? The end result is always that the whole game mode will hurt.

When did I say it was a good thing or that I want to encourage it?

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Tiers can’t be considered part of WvW anymore because of the linkings – weaker servers are paired with strong ones, strong ones get a leg-up from their partners.

The ladder is no longer a representation of how competitive a server is.

So the manual adjustment of glick0 in addition in order to make more competitive matches makes sense.

TL;DR * Ladder illogical because Linking.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

T1 has gone full PPT stupid. We had some fun there for awhile at least.

in WvW

Posted by: Jacion.6302

Jacion.6302

And the bleed continues….

What ever, DB was comfortable T2/T3 until the cracks of this system pumped and dumped us. To have linking /bandwagon artificially bounce you to 1st and then delinking / transfers bounce you to T4 shows how bad the system is.

I don’t really care if we drop to T5, DB is home. It’s just sad to see the frustration of the server loyalist after a pump and dump. God’s, joy, gotl, kill and a few other guilds will continue the good fight, win or lose.

I can see the writing on the wall, spending months in T2/T3 and never hearing of YB….then they steamrolled to T1….

Good luck YB, you are the Junior Gold Miner of stocks….this is your pump and soon to be dump. BG stays T1 and TC / FA will drive you till you dump for the next hottness server….forecast,….next pump and dump SBI

(edited by Jacion.6302)

in WvW

Platinumz.8756

What ever, DB was comfortable T2/T3 until the cracks of this system pumped and dumped us. To have linking /bandwagon artificially bounce you to 1st and then delinking / transfers bounce you to T4 shows how bad the system is.

I don’t really care if we drop to T5, DB is home. It’s just sad to see the frustration of the server loyalist after a pump and dump. God’s, joy, gotl, kill and a few other guilds will continue the good fight, win or lose.

I can see the writing on the wall, spending months in T2/T3 and never hearing of YB….then they steamrolled to T1….

Good luck YB, you are the Junior Gold Miner of stocks….this is your pump and soon to be dump. BG stays T1 and TC / FA will drive you till you dump for the next hottness server….forecast,….next pump and dump SBI

YB was the first server to crash and burn when the linkings first started. Dropping from kitten T4 in 1 month. Now they bounced back up to T1.

i5 3570K @ 4GHz
8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
Nvidia GTX 560ti SLI OC

in WvW

Platinumz.8756

I can’t believe saying “T1” and “to” is censored

i5 3570K @ 4GHz
8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
Nvidia GTX 560ti SLI OC

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

My worry is that if Dragonbrand ends the linking in T4, history shows us the last two linkings for T4 made 3 server linkings.

DB is barely not competitive in T3, and the addition of two servers will have them cleaning up every T4/T3 map. There is currently a 100 point glicko difference between T2 and T3, and the way glicko works with NSP moving up to T3 SBI and SoS will be unable to accumulate much glicko to break it.

That’s not a problem now, but DB will be stuck next linking in T3 much like YB was this linking and had to be adjusted out. People screamed bloody murder about it, but a few weeks later and they’re going to win T1. Next linking DB will be T1-caliber with two linked servers and nobody in T2, T3, or T4 will want to face them.

So I appreciate the attempts at glicko adjustment, but it can’t be more than a stop-gap measure for a change in the matchmaking. Glicko still works fine at generating a leader board, but it can’t handle the matchmaking on its own.

in WvW

Posted by: Aurika.6751

Aurika.6751

Tinfoil hat time. Last weekend when YB was bumped to T1, I saw more Anet tags in WvW in one night than I normally see of them in many months. In one of the earliest fights, YB had three Anet tags in a single group. Realistically though, YB with a link and DK active are strong enough to be in T1 (even if they are boring to fight). I just hope Anet is willing to make the same types of adjustments when YB loses steam.

Sladi [TW]

in WvW

Posted by: MaLeVoLenT.8129

MaLeVoLenT.8129

ArenaNet, obviously if you have to keep making manual adjustments and fixing the matches thus taking it out of the players hands then your system is failing horribly.

You will never solve our balance issues this way, you will only cause us to buy more gems. I don’t know how many times this needs to be said. Furthermore fixing any server is screwing up another server. If every 2 months you change links, open and close servers, you have a high chance of collapsing a server in coverage causing waves of players to move to random locations. If you do this in the off chance the communities will decide to reside in a spot for balance you’re forgetting and undermining the larger percent chance to ruin balance within the same time frame. This is what’s happening constantly and each iteration we have new bandwagons that end up losing members as the weeks go on. A lot of the same folk are moving and it’s predictable movement based of the community culture. It’s not predictable or solvable by equations or statistics. Purely driven by friendship, culture and which server community has the most coin to purchase a guild for what they perceive as a balancing act.

The chances of us getting it right aren’t high enough compared to our attrition rate and detachment from communities.

Forcibly fixing a server is changing the cultures that server and the servers around it especially in the higher tiers and that alone causes waves of transfers. You can understand why if you do this consistently you’d cause some issues. Especially when the community is applying old school mechanics to new school systems.

Perception is huge as well and this comes into “taking it out of the players hands”. Yak’s Bend is notorious for their play style. Regardless if they deserve Tier 1 or not, fixing them to stay in a tier, sends a heavy message especially if in general other servers do not wish to fight them because of their playstyle. WvW and the tier structure is determined by player coverage and points gained. This effects our position and this is the determining factor that drives the server communities to organize and play harder especially in the higher tiers. So when you take it out the players hands, you are increasing our attrition rates and giving more people a reason to not care.

Last thing:

I firmly believe Yak’s Bend is indeed a Tier 1 server as long as they’re not asleep I want to point out. I also believe that Yak’s Bend’s play style fits into the category “working as intended” and if most servers have a problem with fighting Yaks Bend, its more or less a problem with the game and what the game allows Yaks Bend to do.

#WaitingForTheNextBandwagon

P.S. MAG just lost 3 guilds. 2 to SBI. Match fix SBI to T2. lol

~The Mad Court~ [OnS]Onslaught GM
Malevolent Omen -Guardian
Mad King Mal -Rev

(edited by MaLeVoLenT.8129)

in WvW

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

We are going to make several temporary Glicko rating adjustments for tomorrow’s resets.

Northern Shiverpeaks: +150
Northern Shiverpeaks has been leading tier 4 for the past several weeks and we believe that moving them to tier 3 will create more competitive matches for tier 4 and tier 3. This adjustment will give Northern Shiverpeaks ~72% to move to tier 3 and ~28% to move to tier 2.

Dragonbrand: -150
Dragonbrand is not very competitive at tier 3 and we believe moving them to tier 4 will give them a better chance at being competitive. This adjustment will give Dragonbrand ~83% to move to tier 4 and ~17% to stay in tier 3.

Yak’s Bend: replace +150 with +75
We believe the +150 adjustment to Yak’s Bends is now too high. They still need a slight adjustment to remain in tier 1 where they are competitive so we believe adjusting it to be +75 is more balanced. This adjustment will give Yak’s Bend ~64% to stay in tier 1 and ~36% to move to tier 2.

We evaluated EU matchups as well. Riverside, Drakkar Lake, Jade Sea, and Vizunah Square are the worlds that could be adjusted for potentially more competitive matchups. However, those worlds have good enough odds to move on reset without any adjustments so we decided to not make any temporary adjustments for EU at this time.

I’m sorry. You don’t plan on doing anything to fix the position you’ve put gunnars hold (EU) in? week after week of matchups where we cant even hold a spawn tower in prime time, because your genius matchmaking linked us up with vabbi. then you brush over it when you could fix it, and instead only mention the bigger eu server?

I’ve been a loyal fan of anet since i first got into gw2 and wvw has been my staple game mode for the past 4 years, but posts like this from devs are the reason i’ve stopped playing this game, you broke my server, now fix it, there is no way for me to convey my frustration better than this with you. Stop being so useless.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

in WvW

Posted by: Jacion.6302

Jacion.6302

Called it, you heard it here first…SBI will be the next pump and dump after YB

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Called it, you heard it here first…SBI will be the next pump and dump after YB

That explains why SBI has been extra feisty this week.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

We already were T1 for a good long time. Then linkings happened, and eventually we got stuck on our own. So we dropped like what’s happening to DB atm. Some guilds jumped ship, we bottomed out, and then we got relinked to FC and rose like a phoenix……as you will too after you get relinked. Then in another month we will lose our link and drop like a rock again.

It’s the circle of link, rotate the dream, hurrah!

And just to shed some light on this whole dramatic hatred of YB. We are semi-anarchists. There are very few guilds that will willingly voltron in order to fight the mapblobs coming at us in T1. So yeah we don’t fight the way T1 guilds like to fight. In actuality if you enjoy 1stab1111111111heal11111111111stab then I don’t know what to tell you.

Break down into groups of 20-30 and you will get more fights. And don’t say, “We only have twenty in squad.” When there are another 30 green names right next to you.

(edited by Kaiser.9873)

in WvW

Posted by: Dralor.3701

Dralor.3701

Can you just let the people on dead servers transfer? System would be better with no links and fewer total servers.

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

This gamemode is a joke when it rewards 24/7 commanders like dk and yb. they get farmed daily in pvp but wait till you sleep to ppt all your stuff. just wait till they reward upgraded structures instead of fixing the night capping.

Native Maguuman

in WvW

Posted by: Karmilla.5071

Karmilla.5071

I believe +75 is to low for YB & they need to stay in Tier 1

I’m happy to fight the good fights with FA & BG

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

“IMHO there shouldn’t be a need to manually adjust. If manual interventions are felt to be needed, then it points to the implementation of Glicko needing adjustment.”

imho, bangwaggoning is an artificial/manual intervention….

how do you counter that?

answer: “manually”

glicko is for individual skillz
not a server’s population….

come on man, use the common sense that God gave you

the server linking, feels like the solo ranked match of a certain moba, you will be paired and up against players similar of your skill on an average mmr/glicko, its a 50% chance of winning the match per game
a moba match is a 30 min average game play, the WvW is a week long and the linking is months….

why not try to lessen the linking and match time instead……
this will show the real skill of a certain server, if paired with different servers and have a consistent win rate
therefore, your infamous glicko would be saved….

sorry for the wall of text but…

If this world seeks my destruction… It goes with me…
-Genesis Rhapsodos

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

(edited by Norbe.7630)

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

YB was the first server to crash and burn when the linkings first started. Dropping from kitten T4 in 1 month. Now they bounced back up to T1.

And they will burn again once they lose their linking.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

Why fight over it, in my humble opinion each adjustment that is made makes WvW worse. WvW is no longer fun period. The players desire to run cheese builds like boon sharing and continually run from fights and back capping has destroyed this game mode.

That being said, this is just my opinion. I prefer the days before “The Server with the biggest blob always wins”. When there was an actual strategy that went beyond the cheese team builds out there today. When there was Server pride not just “quick jump to X server because they are paired with Blackgate”. I don’t see this game mode ever being as good as it was, but again, just my opinion.

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I prefer the days before “The Server with the biggest blob always wins”.

And when was that? Because since 2012 the biggest server always win.

in WvW

Posted by: QuickRain.4735

QuickRain.4735

I find it funny most of the people complaining about the manually adjusting are people on servers either in the top tier or a bandwagon server

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

TY McKenna, its nice to see anet wvw team be involved.
Keep it up.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Does anyone remember the complete destruction of FA and SoS during YB’s T1 push where T2 was walled off from the top and bottom, preventing any escape?

Does anyone recall T3 before that where they were decimated for about a YEAR until they finally had a server switch? T4 actually avoided rolling T3.

Do you guys actually enjoy having one server obliterate two others for months on end before they “earn the right” to move up?

Do you guys actually believe that THIS will be the beginning of server stacking?

Lol….. just lol…. my god.

Yes I remember, sitting on SoS during that time.

The time you speak of is basically when there were four t2 servers, and one had to rotate with t3, that’s what ravaged t3. There was no intervention that was going to save t3 when there’s an odd server out every week.

Eventually Dragonbrand “most stable server” lost it’s steam and dropped again, and this was also when Mag was being restacked and moving their way back up the ranks, before that there were no servers capable of taking NSP or IoJ out of their misery.

After that Mag and SBI took over t3, FA and SoS were finally getting sick of YB siege (took them like a year), Mal’s alliance moved to YB, gvg guilds moved t3 to make their paradise, FA hibernated to help YB push to t1, SoS NA died once again. Only took YB about 5 weeks to push and break into t1, where it was now basically four t1 servers.

Now the odd man server was going to be a problem for t2, fortunately players from TC moved to even out t2 after they rolled down, or that mess would have continued to destroy t2, much like t2 had done to t3 the previous year.

There’s no glicko intervention that can be done to help fit four similar servers into one tier. Those were also good cases of why bandwagoning is destructive.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

Remember when MMOs had you use real money to pay for transfers instead of converting in-game gold to gems to transfer? If I remember right, one game charged around $25 for a transfer, but then they occasionally offered free limited-time and limited-number of transfers to servers that needed a boost in population until the target number was reached , then servers were locked again, and paid transfers could only be used to fill low and medium population servers after that. This was a subscription game, not a F2P, and that steady income stream meant they didn’t count on paid server transfers to keep the game going. So, Anet’s F2P model seems to be failing with regards to keeping servers stable enough to promote balance in server populations, which WvW desperately needs.

in WvW

Posted by: Yuffi.2430

Yuffi.2430

Thanks McKenna for letting us know what is happening and for explaining things. While some people clearly don’t appreciate the fact that you took time to communicate with us on the forums, most of us would rather know what is going on and why, and we appreciate your post.

I do have an awkward question though. This post makes it clear that you/Anet know Glicko is not working properly as a score system for WvW. You have clearly not stopped using it as the basis for the matches (or we wouldn’t need manual adjustments today), so can you confirm when it will actually be removed/replaced with a system that does work?

in WvW

Posted by: oning rang.5016

oning rang.5016

It is pretty easy to solve the problem. Relink and lock transfers. No bandwagoning anymore. And give people the chance to transfer 1 week before relink.

Obileen (lvl80 Guardian) Obilëen(lvl80 Warrior) Silwynai (lvl80 Thief)
The Clubbing Seals
“If you have more than 1 hp, you are ready to go” – SivHd