Gliding and Territories in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: road range.6293

road range.6293

Devs, and supporters should probably play AION first, and figure out why we play this game, and, not that one. …Getting pummeled by rangers shooting you from the air… Enemies dropping in on you like evil monkeys in the Wizard of Oz. (At 12 FPS) … What’s next? Rifting?

…So, only the side that owns it can glide there? So, they can defend by dropping in on you, out of thin air, while the attacking force is now ground fodder? And portals are still not vertically limited, so they can port back up and drop again?

Agree with others here. Sounds completely broken already. We’ll know soon enough.

Is this just another effort to try to finally attract players to the Deserted Boredomlands? Or, just to please the few that actually like DB? Doesn’t seem very fun, nor useful, in the other BL’s anyway. Why not just finally make DB a different game mode entirely, and put Alpine back to all 3 maps? Then they can glide away in DB as a different game mode entirely.

in WvW

Posted by: Rhiannon.1726

Rhiannon.1726

Devs, and supporters should probably play AION first, and figure out why we play this game, and, not that one. …Getting pummeled by rangers shooting you from the air… Enemies dropping in on you like evil monkeys in the Wizard of Oz. (At 12 FPS) … What’s next? Rifting?

…So, only the side that owns it can glide there? So, they can defend by dropping in on you, out of thin air, while the attacking force is now ground fodder? And portals are still not vertically limited, so they can port back up and drop again?

Agree with others here. Sounds completely broken already. We’ll know soon enough.

Is this just another effort to try to finally attract players to the Deserted Boredomlands? Or, just to please the few that actually like DB? Doesn’t seem very fun, nor useful, in the other BL’s anyway. Why not just finally make DB a different game mode entirely, and put Alpine back to all 3 maps? Then they can glide away in DB as a different game mode entirely.

You know that gliding isn’t flying?
And you also know that you can’t use skills while gliding?

When a zerg glides above you and drops down not everybody uses his/her space bar at the same time. So some will use it too early and get fall damage and because people won’t drop down at the same time it will be difficult for them to place a good bomb.

in WvW

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

I’m willing to give it a chance. I mean if it’s really hated they said they will disable it.

in WvW

Posted by: Tenal.1546

Tenal.1546

I’m maxed out in MP right now with 193. I don’t care about resetting them with this new Vendor NPC just to get the War Gliding Mastery. Any idea how much this new Gliding Mastery will cost in HoT MP?

in WvW

Posted by: Hepatolith.6389

Hepatolith.6389

I’m maxed out in MP right now with 193. I don’t care about resetting them with this new Vendor NPC just to get the War Gliding Mastery. Any idea how much this new Gliding Mastery will cost in HoT MP?

You’re gonna need World Ability Points and not Mastery Points to get the WvW gliding, so no worries (=

Cayline Oakheart, Ranger – Drakkar Lake
Covenant of Bloodthirst [IvsI],
Favorable Winds [Wind]

in WvW

Posted by: Tenal.1546

Tenal.1546

You’re gonna need World Ability Points and not Mastery Points to get the WvW gliding, so no worries (=

I completely misread that. Thanks for the clarification!

in WvW

Posted by: Sesbog.8705

Sesbog.8705

Hello, Mist Warriors!

I am excited to reveal that on August 8th we will be adding Gliding to WvW.

Obsolete update for owners HoT.

What’s new in www for owners Path of Fire?

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Literally nobody asked for this.

Ironically, EotM, where this would actually be useful, won’t get this.

I’m not even surprised.

What are you talking about, gliding was asked for in WvW as soon as HoT was released. It just hasn’t been beaten into the ground like some topics, but this was an old one. Happy to test this out. Still want aerial combat abilities on the glider as well.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

I am curious what will happen with this tomorrow. I imagine there will be bugs, and huge ques in WvW lol. I hope not , but if history tells me anything about MMO’S and changes this might be bad lol.

I am just looking forward to shooting n00bs out of the sky as they try to glide past me lol

in WvW

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

I really think some people would be happy to have one flat map. No trees. No wildlife. No objectives or siege. Just a solid ground without any hills or rocks where massive groups of 50 can run into each other without anything in their way. How about the GvG crowd realizing that it was never a thing in ArenaNet’s eyes and moving on? A map like that wouldn’t be WvW. It would be dull and boring.

If it’s done right and doesn’t give a particular advantage to one side then I welcome the change because change is good. That’s how MMOs stay alive… change. What about the ones that die? They are the MMOs that never bothered to change and adapt.

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

I really think some people would be happy to have one flat map. No trees. No wildlife. No objectives or siege. Just a solid ground without any hills or rocks where massive groups of 50 can run into each other without anything in their way. How about the GvG crowd realizing that it was never a thing in ArenaNet’s eyes and moving on? A map like that wouldn’t be WvW. It would be dull and boring.

If it’s done right and doesn’t give a particular advantage to one side then I welcome the change because change is good. That’s how MMOs stay alive… change. What about the ones that die? They are the MMOs that never bothered to change and adapt.

Can we at least remove all the little rocks and shrubberies that cause my Asura to get hung up in them? I don’t might big things in the way that I have to move around…these little things you can’t see until you’re stuck on them have to go, primarily on DBL.

in WvW

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

I’m excited, as someone who not only likes gliding but also likes playing the game mode as intended. This will help make holding objectives more useful.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

mass invise from SMC 3rd floor dropping on top of enemy squad that is ramming the gates :]

i think it will be fun, hope that there isnt much ways to troll pulling flyign enemies(mesmers) to the tower wall so the mesmer can port people inside.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Yet another workaround for the Desert Borderlands vertical design is released today. This time it was a very expensive one. Maybe it would have been cheaper to develop a brand new map instead.

Question: If you sum up all the hours spent developing the DBL map, and then all the hours creating workarounds for the vertical design, what is the ratio?

• Develop DBL map

against

• managing tickets and complaints about verticality
  • removing barricades and excess obstacles
  • fixing jump pads
  • adding hay bales
  • adding more hay bales
  • removing air keep fans
  • adding jump pads 2
  • gliding

And I feel we haven’t seen the end of the workarounds yet.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

I dont understand what gliding “adds or improves” WVW, there are a lot of things that would improve WVW, i wouldn’t have put adding gliders in that list.
I would like a ANET response to actually state why they decided this?

in WvW

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

no please. no no no.

[Underworld][ZERK]

in WvW

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

This is pretty interesting. Hope it works out.
And I seriously hope people will try to offer constructive criticism instead of just crying that their precious meta will have to change.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

i mean we all know that if something goes wrong its gonna take forever, if ever, for it to get fixed. and there is so much that can go wrong here. still no fix to people jumping into existing towers/keeps. anz is kinda the generic example….people been jumping over the wallls for years now, still no fix.

that kinda stuff barely scratches the surface on unresolved glitches/exploits. we should all be cautious moving forward. we should also be open to new things, and give them due process…however poorly they may seem to be thought out.
Most of us don’t have some personal ego we need to satisfy after the fact. We can whine here, and then play it and love it and come back praising it without caring how hypocritical it might make us look.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I can totally see way more open field siege (esp balis)

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

I can totally see way more open field siege (esp balis)

Balistas can’t hit targets RP walking, there is no chance they will hit a flying target…it isn’t a flak cannon.

But yeah, can’t run past the blob on the gate at Ogrewatch, just glide from Overlook and you’re there. It will definitely be useful for last place teams in match ups with the terrain.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Ubi.4136, ill be really sad if the new ballista skill has such dificulty hitting glidding targets.

Maybe Anet did a flak cannon(javellin that explodes near the target?) xD
I guess ill be like Bronn if u know the tv show im referencing about lol….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

Good or bad, at least they are testing stuff and trying now things. Stop complaining and give a positive or negative feedback like civilized people capable of communicating and stop ranting as babies

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Gliding is amazing, and the sky did not, in fact, fall after all.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Gliding is amazing, and the sky did not, in fact, fall after all.

I’d love to confirm, bu I can;t log into a game to check it out :|

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in WvW

Posted by: Lowen.7109

Lowen.7109

BTW, people can glide from EBG red keep all the way into an enemy held OW.

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

Previous

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Next

BTW, people can glide from EBG red keep all the way into an enemy held OW.

If you get a video/picture of it and send it to me that would be helpful

in WvW

Posted by: Lowen.7109

Lowen.7109

Can’t right now, but they were gliding in to that tiny jut of high ground that points toward Veloka.

in WvW

Posted by: Safir.9203

Safir.9203

Gliding

The War Gliding Mastery is available to those who own Heart of Thorns

Yet another example of how you punish those of us who won’t buy your crappy HoT expansion.

We are playing a gamemode that does not require an expansion pack to play in any of the maps and has NEVER required an expansion pack to play in any of the maps, but you want to use vital skills and abilities in WvW? Better pony up the money and pay for HoT or you will just be weakened more and more relative to other players who pay 4 skills.

First, you lock away Shield Generator use from those of us without HoT. Sure, we can “use” the item to keep the siege refreshed, but we can’t actually use ANY of the shield gen skills (and they are very important pieces of siege in wvw).

Now, you add insult to injury by leaving us grounded while HoT-owning teammates can just glide into structures while we have to run on the ground and get zerged down like a bunch of plebs.

The more vital skills you put behind a paywall, the more the gamemode becomes P2W. This is a gamemode that is (more or less) totally divorced from the content of the expansions. But, still, you link vital skills to those expansions and screw those of us who refuse to support your choice to carve up the game into walled skill gardens that require $$$$ to access them.

Now, more than ever, I won’t pay for HoT or the new expansion because I fundamentally disagree with how you willfully kitten those of us who refuse to buy your stupid p.o.s. expansions.

More and more reasons to quit the game again. Anet as a company has NO RESPECT for those of us who just want to wvw. It’s bad enough we don’t have access to new classes/elite skills/masteries, but now no shield gen use or gliding either. Lame.

F U Anet. P2W game sucks my ….

(edited by Safir.9203)

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

The adage that you “get what you pay for” is a very true one. If you want the perks that people spend a LOT of money creating for people to enjoy then expect to at least pay for some of them.

After all is said and done all I can say about gliding is THANK YOU ANET. Now THIS is a blast!

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Safir.9203

I dont understand what gliding “adds or improves” WVW, there are a lot of things that would improve WVW, i wouldn’t have put adding gliders in that list.
I would like a ANET response to actually state why they decided this?

Quite simply, it’s just another prod to get those of us who haven’t bought HOT yet to finally pay up.

It was bad enough that we couldn’t use shield gens in wvw, or have access to new classes/elites/masteries, but now here’s everybody gliding all around us while we remain grounded like the second class citizens Anet deems us to be.

in WvW

Safir.9203

The adage that you “get what you pay for” is a very true one. If you want the perks that people spend a LOT of money creating for people to enjoy then expect to at least pay for some of them.

After all is said and done all I can say about gliding is THANK YOU ANET. Now THIS is a blast!

^ And this is everything that is wrong with the current generation of gamers.

You guys love your pay2win nickel and diming b.s.

I would gladly pay to support a game that, at its core, was fair and equitable in how it’s designed.

When GW2 released, they promised us it wouldn’t be grindy or employ this type of cynical cash-grabbing incentives for people to pay for advantages. Now that they broke that promise and all the unabashed fanboys like you just lap it up like good little dogs, I’m done.

Enjoy a game where more and more, they carve everything up and bleed the players dry because that is what you guys are paying for. Your money and sycophantic “THANK YOU” are just more evidence for Anet that what they are doing is okay and their fans don’t mind.

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

I’m sorry Safir but this isn’t about ‘pay to win’ for me in any way. I love this game.. I love almost every part of it. Why on earth would I not want to pay for the extra goodies? I don’t understand that at all. As for pay to win… this game isn’t pay to win.. unless you count buying gear, mats, and so on, like you have to do in pretty much any competitive game etc.

I will NEVER mind paying for my entertainment. I am a programmer… and I know what it takes to do these things. Sorry but I’ll never never understand people that get upset about anything they get for free when it costs huge amounts of money and time to develop these things.

It IS a business after all.. they want m o n e y! I want e n t e r t a i n m e n t.. so I pay. not to win… but to have fun.. . period.

oh and lastly.. “current generation of gamers”… I am 60 yrs old… not quite current.. but still having fun!

in WvW

Safir.9203

As for pay to win… this game isn’t pay to win.. unless you count buying gear, mats, and so on, like you have to do in pretty much any competitive game etc.

Explain to me how I can unlock shield gen use and gliding by just playing the game?

I have to pay real money to use these features, features that are important in the one gamemode that I care about: WvW.

If I don’t pay $$$ to gain access to these features, I am at a disadvantage and a less useful teammate than the people who do.

When OW is under attack from an enemy blob and all the people who bought HOT can just glide into the tower while those like me have to run into it and get beaten down, explain how I am not less competitive than HOT owners?

When a tower is getting trebbed or hit with catas and I’m the only one in it, invulv tactic is already used, and I can’t use shield gen to buy time for my teammates to come and man siege and help, how am I not less competitive than a HOT owner?

I’m all for supporting devs and games that deserve it, but besides a scant few features, HOT was almost all PVE content that I simply have no interest in. I simply can’t justify buying an expansion pack just for 2-3 features that effect a gamemode that has been (more or less) static since the release of GW2 (i.e., WvW — with the exception of the desert BL being added with HoT, which was largely an unpopular change).

If there was a way for me to use ingame gold to buy gems and then unlock shield gen mastery and gliding that way, I wouldn’t have such a problem with this. But there’s not. I must pay for an entire expansion to use a glider, or a shield gen, or new class or elite/mastery.

Explain to me how it is not pay2win/pay4advantage that people who buy the expansion have access to vital features in a gamemode like WvW while those of us who don’t pay $20-$30 don’t?

Again, if these features were unlockable somehow in game, even if it was VERY grindy and time intensive to do it (incentivizing paying real $$$ instead), I would be singing a different tune. But, it’s not like that, and every person like you and all the others who just gravitate toward the shinies of gliders and guild halls and mounts at the expense of the broader gaming experience damages the game all the more (and emboldens Anet’s choice to nickel and dime us like they are EA or Ubisoft).

Finally, they PROMISED us in the beginning that this game wouldn’t be about grinding, that real money transactions would merely be for cosmetic items, that we wouldn’t be nickel and dimed to death. Here were are several years later and if you want to use core features of the game in a competitive gamemode (like wvw), you have to buy some B.S. expansion packs that are 90% pve content.

in WvW

Posted by: Malpractice.7850

Malpractice.7850

“im all for supporting devs that deserve it” → Possibly if given more money they can hire more people, and make more changes :-)

Maybe you should stop worrying about $20-30 and just buy the game.

Sorry that you’re poor, but, don’t take it out on all of us that enjoy the new content while you twiddle yourself worrying about wvw only and an hours worth of work in money.

Life’s not fair. Enjoy buying the expansion, or finding a new game.

in WvW

Posted by: glass.3245

glass.3245

Eh – I understand what Safir is saying. If it gives a competitive advantage then perhaps it should be enabled for everyone. I don’t think this is the same as locking PvE content behind gliding; competitive game modes should put everyone on an equal footing.

Anet, would you consider giving vanilla players a basic glider for WvW?

(Disclaimer; I’m in the EU and haven’t been able to play the updates yet. But I already own HoT and pre-purchased the new expansion, so not driven by personal gain).

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

Eh – I understand what Safir is saying. If it gives a competitive advantage then perhaps it should be enabled for everyone. I don’t think this is the same as locking PvE content behind gliding; competitive game modes should put everyone on an equal footing.

Anet, would you consider giving vanilla players a basic glider for WvW?

(Disclaimer; I’m in the EU and haven’t been able to play the updates yet. But I already own HoT and pre-purchased the new expansion, so not driven by personal gain).

I can also agree with this – I own core, HoT and pre purchased PoF but I can understand where Safir is coming from. Back when I only owned core I felt pretty much the same way and I think it’s only fair that there is equal footing. I still feel it’s odd that people are locked out of using something like a shield gen, and now there is gliding. These may be considered little things to those that own the expansions but little by little it will start making a big difference and split users from core to the different expacs when other stuff gets added. Let’s not go that direction.

in WvW

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

I have to pay real money to use these features, features that are important in the one gamemode that I care about: WvW.

Have you ever considered that Guild Wars 2 might just not be the right game for you?

I understand your frustration and anger as a WvW only player, but I think your perspective is too narrow. There’s more to Guild Wars 2 than just WvW and the majority of the playerbase enjoys mostly PvE and so naturally ArenaNet is going to primarily cater to these players.

To be honest I’m a bit fed up with people complaining about ArenaNet wanting to make money. They are a company just like any other game studio out there and they have to earn money. The gaming industry has changed over the last couple of years and the glorious days of MMORPGs are over. The cake is getting smaller and smaller …

There’s no subscription fee and most of the stuff in the gem store is either fluff or can be bought with ingame gold. I really don’t think it’s too much to ask to spend 30 or 40$ every two years for a new expansion – if not for the content, then at least to keep the company and therefore the game running.

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

It’s kind of hard to defend “GW2 isn’t Pay2Win” when a core spec in WvW will get absolutely destroyed by HoT elites.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

We paid for the game. We paid for the expansion. Free to pay came long after I started this game. How does the paying core that actually supports the work done for our entertainment destroy what came first?

in WvW

Safir.9203

Sorry that you’re poor, but, don’t take it out on all of us that enjoy the new content while you twiddle yourself worrying about wvw only and an hours worth of work in money.

It has nothing to do with being poor. $30 is a trivial amount.

What matters to me is voting with my dollars, and in this case, I feel that buying expansions like these only incentivizes Anet to continue to carve up the game and design it more and more in a manner that funnels people toward P2W kinds of purchases (and rationales for why buying features XYZ is okay).

Thanks to the few who get what I’m saying. To the others that just equate what I’m saying to me being poor or complaining about Anet trying to make money, just keep drinking the kool-aid. You’ll have your p2w paradise in no time.

I preordered the core game at launch because, back then, it was sold as a very different pay model and approach to design. Watch reviews by somebody like AngryJoe, they specifically talk about the novel approach to “buy to play” and the total lack of level/gear-grinding. Since then, Anet has backtracked on many promises over these past several years.

I guess since people will keep paying to have the game carved up and the community split more and more into haves and have nots, Anet has no reason to stop this money-grubbing approach to designing their expansions. This is why I won’t buy the expacs, not because I’m too poor as some of you wrongly assume.

And those of you who say this isn’t the right game for me, I guess you’re right. I actually stopped playing MMO’s for a long time until GW2 came along because I was so burnt out on the rehashed designs and emphasis on endless grinding and cynical money-grabs. I only bought GW2 because of the novel way they did pve and dynamic events, the wvw, the way it was possible to get to lvl 80 with exotic gear relatively easy (and be fairly competitive if you had a good build and were skilled). They promised us back then that we wouldn’t be spending all of our time on a gear/level treadmill and that we wouldn’t be paying real money for core features of the game (just for cosmetic or convenience items). So much for that!

Now that HoT has already driven away a lot of people who share my sentiment, Anet are even bolder in releasing another expansion that worsens the problem. And the sad part is, most of the players who remain don’t care because they’ve got their shiney new feature, so tough for those like me and we should all forget what Anet promised in the past and what initially drew some of us to play this game. It was a very different approach to an MMO (and monetizing an MMO), but now it’s just another waiting-game until you can buy the next expansion for the new gimmicky feature. In a few more years, it will only be a question of who can open their wallet fast enough when it comes to progression and achievements in this game.

I still remember how messed up it was when HoT came out that they gutted all the achievements and hard work smaller guilds had put into their guild upgrades. Now, the studio that told us we wouldn’t be forced to grind endlessly in gamemodes we didn’t enjoy required that we grind for tons of mats to upgrade our guild halls (upgrades we had already unlocked). I contributed a lot to help upgrade (again) the small guild I’m part of, and I can’t even enjoy 80% of the guild hall features because I’m a non-HoT player — except to look around and click stuff and be told I can’t use this feature until I buy HoT… Of course they let me do that. ;-_-

It’s clear to me most of you won’t hear what I’m saying, choosing instead to make personal attacks and call me poor, but my thanks to the few who actually understand what I’m trying to say. I guarantee you that Anet won’t change their course though. They have their core audience of people who are willing to pay for this stuff and don’t care if it alienates parts of the customer base. They want people like me gone.

The sad part is, I would have spent a ton of money over these past few years if they actually stuck to their initial promises and approach to monetizing the game. But after I saw how they neglected wvw changes and improvements for so long, and then released HoT, I haven’t been willing to put another penny into this game. PoF has only hardened my heart more, especially with the inclusion of gliders in WvW.

Best of wishes to those of you who keep playing. I will try a few more times, but every time I WP to Overlook and have to jump off the cliff and take fall damage and run into OW while my HoT teammates glide into the tower above me, the tastes grows ever more bitter.

(edited by Safir.9203)

in WvW

Posted by: synergy.5809

synergy.5809

It has nothing to do with being poor. $30 is a trivial amount.

What matters to me is voting with my dollars, and in this case, I feel that buying expansions like these only incentivizes Anet to continue to carve up the game and design it more and more in a manner that funnels people toward P2W kinds of purchases (and rationales for why buying features XYZ is okay).

Thanks to the few who get what I’m saying. To the others that just equate what I’m saying to me being poor or complaining about Anet trying to make money, just keep drinking the kool-aid. You’ll have your p2w paradise in no time.

I preordered the core game at launch because, back then, it was sold as a very different pay model and approach to design. Watch reviews by somebody like AngryJoe, they specifically talk about the novel approach to “buy to play” and the total lack of level/gear-grinding. Since then, Anet has backtracked on many promises over these past several years.

I guess since people will keep paying to have the game carved up and the community split more and more into haves and have nots, Anet has no reason to stop this money-grubbing approach to designing their expansions. This is why I won’t buy the expacs, not because I’m too poor as some of you wrongly assume.

And those of you who say this isn’t the right game for me, I guess you’re right. I actually stopped playing MMO’s for a long time until GW2 came along because I was so burnt out on the rehashed designs and emphasis on endless grinding and cynical money-grabs. I only bought GW2 because of the novel way they did pve and dynamic events, the wvw, the way it was possible to get to lvl 80 with exotic gear relatively easy (and be fairly competitive if you had a good build and were skilled). They promised us back then that we wouldn’t be spending all of our time on a gear/level treadmill and that we wouldn’t be paying real money for core features of the game (just for cosmetic or convenience items). So much for that!

Now that HoT has already driven away a lot of people who share my sentiment, Anet are even bolder in releasing another expansion that worsens the problem. And the sad part is, most of the players who remain don’t care because they’ve got their shiney new feature, so tough for those like me and we should all forget what Anet promised in the past and what initially drew some of us to play this game. It was a very different approach to an MMO (and monetizing an MMO), but now it’s just another waiting-game until you can buy the next expansion for the new gimmicky feature. In a few more years, it will only be a question of who can open their wallet fast enough when it comes to progression and achievements in this game.

I still remember how messed up it was when HoT came up that they gutted all the achievements and hard work smaller guilds had put into their guild upgrades. Now, the studio that told us we wouldn’t be forced to grind endlessly in gamemodes we didn’t enjoy required that we grind to upgrade our guild halls (upgrades we had already unlocked, a process I contributed a lot to for the small guild I"m part of… features that I cannot enjoy because I’m a non-HoT player — except to look around and click stuff and be told I can’t use this feature until I buy HoT).

It’s clear to me most of you won’t hear what I’m saying, choosing instead to make personal attacks and call me poor, but my thanks to the few who actually understand what I’m trying to say. I guarantee you that Anet won’t change their course though. They have their core audience of people who are willing to pay for this stuff and don’t care if it alienates parts of the customer base. They want people like me gone.

The sad part is, I would have spent a ton of money over these past few years if they actually stuck to their initial promises and approach to monetizing the game. But after I saw how they neglected wvw changes and improvements for so long, and then released HoT, I haven’t been willing to put another penny into this game. PoF has only hardened my heart more, especially with the inclusion of gliders in WvW.

Best of wishes to those of you who keep playing. I will try a few more times, but every time I WP to Overlook and have to jump off the cliff and take fall damage and run into OW while my HoT teammates glide into the tower above me, the tastes grows ever more bitter.

Don’t worry, i’ve read every word you wrote, even though anet will probably delete it soon. I was on the fence on whether to preorder the game or not due to this stupid gliding update. but after reading what you wrote and reminded me about how anet has treated us in the past I’m I’ve decided to pass on this expansion. If I wanted a gear treadmill grinding game there are better games out there that do it. And you’re right anet wants to see people like us gone. I used to enjoy the game for the same reasons as you, and I bought stuff off the gem store to support the game, especially for fashion wars. but with every single fashion thing coming out now being an outfit that you can’t mix and match, and/or being gated behind RNG chests, I’ve stopped buying gems.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

It’s kind of hard to defend “GW2 isn’t Pay2Win” when a core spec in WvW will get absolutely destroyed by HoT elites.

By that definition all expansions are p2w.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: adammantium.8031

adammantium.8031

I’m flabbergasted by this. You are able to play this game mode for absolutely nothing. Free. And if you paid for the original game, you certainly got your money’s worth.

The examples of being “pay2win” you give, I can quite easily overlook – needing to adjust code to make an exception for non-HoT players being able to use gliders being the prime example – when the introduction is clearly stated as a test for the game mode.

Lack of WvW updates in the past… sure. But they’re trying now at least.

It is entirely reasonable and rational for Anet to include new features in expansions. If you don’t want to pay for them, then don’t. You can still play a bucket load of content, and can still be competitive and contribute meaningfully.

[Meow] Adammantium, 80 Warrior

in WvW

Trajan.4953

Gliding

The War Gliding Mastery is available to those who own Heart of Thorns

Yet another example of how you punish those of us who won’t buy your crappy HoT expansion.

We are playing a gamemode that does not require an expansion pack to play in any of the maps and has NEVER required an expansion pack to play in any of the maps, but you want to use vital skills and abilities in WvW? Better pony up the money and pay for HoT or you will just be weakened more and more relative to other players who pay 4 skills.

First, you lock away Shield Generator use from those of us without HoT. Sure, we can “use” the item to keep the siege refreshed, but we can’t actually use ANY of the shield gen skills (and they are very important pieces of siege in wvw).

Now, you add insult to injury by leaving us grounded while HoT-owning teammates can just glide into structures while we have to run on the ground and get zerged down like a bunch of plebs.

The more vital skills you put behind a paywall, the more the gamemode becomes P2W. This is a gamemode that is (more or less) totally divorced from the content of the expansions. But, still, you link vital skills to those expansions and screw those of us who refuse to support your choice to carve up the game into walled skill gardens that require $$$$ to access them.

Now, more than ever, I won’t pay for HoT or the new expansion because I fundamentally disagree with how you willfully kitten those of us who refuse to buy your stupid p.o.s. expansions.

More and more reasons to quit the game again. Anet as a company has NO RESPECT for those of us who just want to wvw. It’s bad enough we don’t have access to new classes/elite skills/masteries, but now no shield gen use or gliding either. Lame.

F U Anet. P2W game sucks my ….

P2W?? Lel.

It’s an expansion, if you chose to be left behind in the dust that was always your choice. You can continue this way but you will be running. Buy the Xpac or not, your choice, but complaining about it is, well…. LMAO

CCCP….

in WvW

Trajan.4953

So, just so I understand this latest round of vitriol…

You bought the game and think everything should be free for you despite expansions? You somehow expect a BUSINESS to keep giving you said content for free while still earning enough to make the content?

kitten .. entitled much?

CCCP….

in WvW

Safir.9203

So, just so I understand this latest round of vitriol…

You bought the game and think everything should be free for you despite expansions? You somehow expect a BUSINESS to keep giving you said content for free while still earning enough to make the content?

kitten .. entitled much?

Nice strawman. This is not what I’m saying at all.

I think in WvW, a competitive playing field that requires NO EXPANSION packs to play, there should be equal access to core features like Shield Generators and now gliders.

You know how I would address this current issue? Let all WvW players have a free standard glider in WvW zones only. Offer upgraded skins for these free standard gliders that cost 2400 gems (equivalent to the endless gathering tool pack). Make your money by selling us flashy skins, you know, like the way the game was originally designed and the way Anet originally promised us they would monetize the content.

But clearly, based on the last few responses, you all think it’s totally fair play that participants in a gamemode that requires a relatively level playing field should have to open up their wallets and pay $30 to use a shield generator, or to glide from OL into OW.

Considering your nasty responses to me and how a vast majority of the GW2 community views stuff like this to be perfectly fine, I won’t be running on the ground or left in the dust because I’m uninstalling.

Cya.

in WvW

Posted by: SoliSnake.9457

SoliSnake.9457

wvw player so kittening brain-closed player as always i supposed, open your mind

btw say gw2 is p2w is 1 of the most kitten things i have hear from long time

Solisnake(Elementalist)Lighting Rajin (Guardian)
YamataNoOrochi(Warrior)Ziggy Th White Duke(Mesmer)Aleandro De La Vega(Ranger)

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

loving it and the new cat tags and minis.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Trajan.4953

loving it and the new cat tags and minis.

Yup

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Naurgalen.2374

Naurgalen.2374

To call a game “Pay to Win” it should let you pay real money to get competitive benefits vs non-paying players.

The thing is that GW2 content with “benefits” are at most its expansions. You cant pay more than that to get more -non cosmetic- “benefits”.

So, at worst, if you think that those benefits are really unbalanced then, the game is clearly a “Buy to Play” model with a misguided “free to play” model advertised on top.

I personally think:

1) That PvE and WvWvW can be played fine, there are limitations but for a free game they are good: You wont ever play in a full free-to-play server so others can use the shield generators and classes that you don’t have while you can do other useful things for your world at the same time. PvP on the other hand, totally needs to bump core classes to be on par: free to play players lack already diversification, so at least they need 1 core free competitive build per class.

2) People wont buy HoT to glide in WvW or have the shield generators. I don’t see what A-net gains from these kind of limitations. Heck, even free WvW gliding trial may sell some expansions on its own as the mechanic IS FUN itself.