Gliding and Territories in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

What in the hell?

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU ARE IN COMBAT? Disable in combat gliding. Otherwise it means anyone can run away from a fight by just gliding away and literally makes HoT Pay-to-win. Seriously. It NEEDS to be disabled to deploy gliding while in combat. Seriously. This is why gliding in WvW has always been the stupidest idea.

This is such a silly statement. If your enemies decide to run away by gliding, YOU JUST GLIDE AFTER THEM !

At some point they have to land since it’s not true flight.

Your statement is even more silly because you can only glide if you own the territory ;^)

“If you enter a territory that you do not own while gliding, you will be kicked from your glider.”

AND lets not forget that being able to ‘MOVE’ a fight a large distance (via gliding in this case) means they can pretty much grab help from anyone remotely near them and/or lead you into a tower killzone.

If you could move a fight 3000-5000 units “presently” in wvsw, what would happen? They would abuse objective entrances/gaurds/pve/siege/terrain and basically take you to a spot on the map that is definitely in their favour..

This sounds like a unique and viable strategy. Something that the blob v. blob rabble love to reminisce about and claim “hasn’t been here since pre-hot.” But I’m sure they’ll find a way to complain about this change just like every other change – all the while complaining that there aren’t enough changes.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Fantom.8971

Fantom.8971

Loving it!!! Thank you Anet!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

I’m just really curious, what is this supposed to add to WvW? People will just fly away instead of fighting now, or sit on ballista’s. At least disable gliding while in combat.

lol, think about it.. you can’t just ‘fly away’. Need to jump off something to glide.. and you can still be shot down. This is gonna be an interesting addition. Seriously.. blob vs blob vs blob again and again… and some havoc over and over has got pretty boring…

This will add a new way to kill masses of people even quicker as they try to glide down from wherever.. :P

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

What in the hell?

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU ARE IN COMBAT? Disable in combat gliding. Otherwise it means anyone can run away from a fight by just gliding away and literally makes HoT Pay-to-win. Seriously. It NEEDS to be disabled to deploy gliding while in combat. Seriously. This is why gliding in WvW has always been the stupidest idea.

This is such a silly statement. If your enemies decide to run away by gliding, YOU JUST GLIDE AFTER THEM !

At some point they have to land since it’s not true flight.

Your statement is even more silly because you can only glide if you own the territory ;^)

“If you enter a territory that you do not own while gliding, you will be kicked from your glider.”

AND lets not forget that being able to ‘MOVE’ a fight a large distance (via gliding in this case) means they can pretty much grab help from anyone remotely near them and/or lead you into a tower killzone.

If you could move a fight 3000-5000 units “presently” in wvsw, what would happen? They would abuse objective entrances/gaurds/pve/siege/terrain and basically take you to a spot on the map that is definitely in their favour.

hmmm… you are ground fighting… How in the world is the enemy going to “move” you toward a keep by gliding when you can’t just jump up and glide.. you need to glide DOWN from something.

Gliding will do NOTHING to change how the ground fights work.. If anything people gliding down from a cliff to join a fight can be shot down and killed pretty easy as they’re coming down.

in WvW

Posted by: meo.1259

meo.1259

Gliding should be okay for WvW in general, as a concept, as long as everyone can use it.

Otherwise it’s going to create a great disadvantage for new PoF players and the old, core players, in addition to everything they already have to endure, like lack of autoloot, no access to builds, gear, extra infusions, siege etc, but this stuff only affects them. Movement features are going to affect everyone. Moves involving gliding are very likely to split the whole teams en route, or in combat, unnecessarily which could drastically affect the outcome of the battles for all of the players. This is another pay-to-win feature, it’s not in the spirit of the original game, and it’s not welcome unless it’s available to everyone.

WvW might not be about fair pvp, but it’s still about teamplay, and introducing another barrier for those teams is going to make the gameplay more imbalanced for all players, kill the fun and eventually lead to further WvW population decline, more guilds dying and more players leaving the game with a sense of disappointment.

As a solution, let every player purchase in game a temporary or permanent WvW-only glider, so we can fight on equal ground. That way, I’m sure, it’s going to be perfectly acceptable, refreshing and fun. Just please, please don’t turn it into another paywall: WvW is already in a bad state on many servers, population-wise, even with all the links; pay-to-win features are only going to make it worse.

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

So, death by lag is not the most important problem in the game, and tactic trolls don’t exist either and Anet is still fixing things that weren’t broken to begin with. Ok.

In other news? RIP gank squads trying to stop players returning to the fights.

The lag isn’t fixable until they reduce condition and boon applications and durations and passives. The WvW team has no control over profession changes, ridiculously.

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

What does this mean for people you knock off cliffs with your own skills? Do they still fall to their deaths?

When cced, you can’t enter the glider in PvE maps, not sure exactly how it’ll act in WvW.

It will function the same in WvW. So if you are knocked back while in gliding you will fall to your death.

As a vet WvW player, believe it or not, I welcome this addition. It sounds to me to be well thought out with the appropriate limitations etc. The idea of using a balli to knock someone from the sky, or just gliding in general with the restrictions you have placed on it sounds great.

A LOT of people are going to scream of course, and want to continue with the same old blob vs blob etc. I’m havoc mostly… and while people are screaming about wanting to keep their horseless carriages.. I’m thinking of ways to ignite the gas.. and of how many ways I can be shot from the sky..

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Out of rebalancing world populations

I don’t think you’ve thought that through properly.

Not sure what Anet can even do about rebalancing Worlds, when it is the players’ (and guilds’) choice where to move, and if to move. See also recent overtake of Vabbi (a bottom tier server) by a bunch of people, hiking it all the way up to compete with Far Shiverpeaks (a top-ish tier server), and then leaving it behind once they got bored.

As long as people can choose their server, and WvW remains server based instead of some other kind of grouping, this is not possible to control whatsoever from Anet’s side.

Shame about the recent Vabbi situation. But that’s nothing new. I remember giving up on welcoming new big guilds to my server but instead first asking how long they plan to stay.

I believe there is plenty ANet could do beyond of the current policy of setting worlds to Full status at whim. There must exist a migration policy they could adopt that would allow player/guild world choice, yet prevent bandwagoning and overstacking.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

Gliding should be okay for WvW in general, as a concept, as long as everyone can use it.

Otherwise it’s going to create a great disadvantage for new PoF players and the old, core players, in addition to everything they already have to endure, like lack of autoloot, no access to builds, gear, extra infusions, siege etc, but this stuff only affects them. Movement features are going to affect everyone. Moves involving gliding are very likely to split the whole teams en route, or in combat, unnecessarily which could drastically affect the outcome of the battles for all of the players. This is another pay-to-win feature, it’s not in the spirit of the original game, and it’s not welcome unless it’s available to everyone.

WvW might not be about fair pvp, but it’s still about teamplay, and introducing another barrier for those teams is going to make the gameplay more imbalanced for all players, kill the fun and eventually lead to further WvW population decline, more guilds dying and more players leaving the game with a sense of disappointment.

As a solution, let every player purchase in game a temporary or permanent WvW-only glider, so we can fight on equal ground. That way, I’m sure, it’s going to be perfectly acceptable, refreshing and fun. Just please, please don’t turn it into another paywall: WvW is already in a bad state on many servers, population-wise, even with all the links; pay-to-win features are only going to make it worse.

They should also allow non-HoT players to use shield gens.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I am kind of hoping you can drop bomb or something that do not do a lot of dmg but has some effect other then simply dive bombing ppl with the fall trait.

From what i am looking at EB map red has a super advantages of the 3 side green not so much blue looks good too.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I am kind of hoping you can drop bomb or something that do not do a lot of dmg but has some effect other then simply dive bombing ppl with the fall trait.

From what i am looking at EB map red has a super advantages of the 3 side green not so much blue looks good too.

blue? i dont see from where :| all the spots on blue side i can reccall where that work can be easilly avoided?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Given that red is 3rd in a matchup and usually the weakest team especially with 1u1d, I’m fine with that. Also red towers tend to get hit more often than the other two sides. On the borderlands the runs from citadel will be cut down quite a lot now.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Itt people with no imagination.

Please give us air to air only combat skills while gliding so we can chase people down flying away.

Also the anti air ballista is going to rock.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

EBG has more than just a few good spots to launch.

From the Ogre Camp one can get up on that high cliff and glide in and behind a group holding the chokepoint into the camp with AOE stacks.

From Langor Gulch one should be able to get up on that cliff and glide in and behind a group holding the chokepoint into Danelon.

A group coming in to rescue bay should be able to get up on the cliff in the South and try to glide in to reinforce rather then trying to run a guantlet trying to defend from the same.

In many ways it can work as a psuedo portal bomb with the ability to avoid all of those AOE s that are stacked between a person and his destination and that it will give Rangers, as example a greater role in a zerg as they pick fliers off in the air can not be a bad thing.

On paper It also favors defenders as structured and again this good as one generally outnumbered when defending.

Time will tell but all this gloom and doom stuff is complaining just for the sake of complaining.

in WvW

Posted by: CrashTheGrey.1492

CrashTheGrey.1492

I personally have prepared my body for every single roaming video to have slow mo gliding intro’s set to edgy music.

“OUTNUMBAERED ~WINGED VENGEANCE~ VOLUME 237 HOTPOCKET DINNER HERO”

in WvW

Posted by: Neito.5308

Neito.5308

How about a debuff for having more than so many players on a single point of the map to discourage blobbing?

Though we’d need more things to fight over so spread map population and also reduce the effectiveness of anti player siege.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Having considered it for a while, I like the idea. I have some nice ideas for where we’ll see this being used and it will be cool.

Also, thanks for the territory preview map.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

IMO what WvW need most is people interested in play it. I think gliding will make the maps more fun than today, and bring a bunch of casuals back to WvW, and I believe that is just AMAZING.
So, sorry to all the hardcore players who wanted to keep WvW glide free and in perfect control, but I will visit you again with my glider and a bunch of friends.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in WvW

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Guys

Why dont you all just let us see how it play out 2 weeks
and THEN make a constructive comment about it
Anet wrote that this will just be a test phase for now!

no sense talking too much about it before we actually know how it will be

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

in WvW

Posted by: Devils Toy.9205

Devils Toy.9205

This game just becomes more of a joke

[KILL] Leader
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

Well I personally have been waiting for this change for a LONG time. Will finally be able to traverse the desert borderland without wanting to alt+f4.

Looking forward to the change Anet

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

This game just becomes more of a joke

Miss you!!!

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

The idea that “no-one asked for this” is fatuous. People have been consistently asking for gliding to be enabled in DBL since the day it appeared. Not only on this forum but it comes up over and over again in map and team chat as something people wish could happen – although I doubt many ever thought it would.

Gliding in ABL hasn’t really come up much. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of point to it since most of the maps are flat. Would make for a few short cuts down from the northern towers perhaps and at least I might avoid dying by miscalculating the drop when running from Citadel to defend NET. The place it would obviously have the most potential for mischief would be Hills.

I wonder what previously inaccessible spots will be found for mesmers to hide in and for siege to be placed. I foresee a lot of unintended consequences and a lot of entertainment before this gets either nerfed or removed.

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

no gliding pls no freaking pve stuff into WvW!

in WvW

Posted by: Rai.1084

Rai.1084

Can you first fix the freaking skillag before you add more “features”?
EB literally unplayable. Cant use skills, thausands of ping and kitten fps.

in WvW

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

I like it..

Something to do beside walking around.

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

Previous

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Next

McKenna please answer this question! Will we be able to glide while in a golem? PLEASE MAKE IT SO!!!!

You will not be able to glide while you are in the golem.

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

Previous

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Next

It’s coming to EotM right?

if so OMG

& also. could we get all territories there? that map would be amazing with full gliding. all it would need is npc turrets over keeps.

You will not be able to glide in EotM.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

if so OMG

& also. could we get all territories there? that map would be amazing with full gliding. all it would need is npc turrets over keeps.

LOL!!! Poor eotm. Anet just completely wrecking it.

This is BRUTALITY!

Let’s be honest here, the community made eotm what it was. They said something like: “wvsw is really unfair and not meaningful to us, lets dig through the mode and see what we can do to change this”
And the eotm community was developed by these people into a mode superior to wvsw.

You are punishing people for being proactive and finding the fun in a broken gamemode.

Like I said, BRUTALITY!

Out of all the maps (if we exclude the modes they are allocated to) I think its fair to say that eotm’s map is the one where gliding makes the most sense and would be the most beneficial. Besides it would have been the PERFECT beta to test gliding out first.
But once again the dev team finds the illogical in the logical. You ever gone hiking? Ur like that guy who goes offpath everytime there’s a somewhat flat ‘path’ branching to the side, only to find the brush getting thicker and thicker. At that time you realize its not a real path forward, its a path that leads you in the wrong direction that leads you to have to backtrack.

Please enlighten me to an ‘update’ during this “beta” where this DIDN’T happen.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

My opinion is short:

Gliding is a buff to defenders. Its use looks very niche in some structures while potentially game breaking in others.
Gliding is a potential nerf to roaming in some areas, and means nothing in others.

I’m pretty neutral to gliding, its going to end up kittening me off pretty quick I’m sure. But its uses are comparable to mesmer portal bombs me thinks.

However territories on the other hand, that sounds like amazing groundwork to make essential future changes. I think its a great step!

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Can I make a tiny request that Nintendo’s Duck Hunt music pops up every time you load the ballista?

Could we also get one other tiny thing?

You know how orange swords pop when there’s a blob over 25? Can we get “Flight of the Valkyries” music to start up seconds before an equivalent blob is about to descend on you from above? Kind of an oratory warning?

Also, would really love an answer to the limits of the sections — if you glide towards another section and you don’t own it, do you fall to the ground when you reach the border? Or do you keep going and land naturally wherever? (Keeping going may be problematic).

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Can you deploy glider when you are already in combat?

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: AlphaK.9486

AlphaK.9486

I feel like simply adding gliding in its current state will discourage melee based attackers and those with little to no ranged damage/cc.

What if we had a special action like this:

Fire Mist Issued Flak Cannon (1200 range):

• Appears when targeting an enemy that is gliding.
  • Does light damage.
  • Damage is increased 3x if enemy is hit from behind.
  • This special action disappears 2 seconds later if a gliding target is lost/not reacquired.

This would give some minor basic ranged abilities to allow even melee based builds to participate. Ranged builds can still opt to use their own abilities/cc to down gliding targets if they want. It would also help keep roamers from attempting to use it as a quick getaway when low on health near cliffs/hills/etc.

(edited by AlphaK.9486)

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

this will be interesting, i look forward to the change, its only within your territory so should be entertaining

My deadeye will be waiting for you when you flying over head and shoot you down like a duck :P this is going to be hilarious.

Yet another way for thieves to kill people that have no chance of fighting back. The elite that makes a class designed for cowards even more cowardly. /slowclap

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

The lag isn’t fixable until they reduce condition and boon applications and durations and passives. The WvW team has no control over profession changes, ridiculously.

I’m not convinced that lag isn’t fixable. After all we can get search results for the entire Internet in a blink of an eye which is surely a bigger problem. The question is does ANet have the resources and is it willing to use them to fix this problem. Fixing it would be huge for the WVW player base.

As far as gliding, I’m willing to give it a try. But I surely wish other things had gotten fixed first. For example I’d dearly love to be able to switch characters without having to leave a map queue.

Perhaps Anet should consider going back to polling its user base to set priorities for these development priorities.

in WvW

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

if so OMG

the map is full of flying islands my dude. it would be absolutely beautiful.

please reconsider this. it would make EotM an unbelievably cool place to be.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

if so OMG

the map is full of flying islands my dude. it would be absolutely beautiful.

please reconsider this. it would make EotM an unbelievably cool place to be.

Probably has to do with the fact that they would need to support EotM actively by updating it. EotM is just a WvW lobby now as it was slated to be.

in WvW

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Willing to bet you could cut this thread in half if you remove all the posts saying ‘REMOVE SKILL LAG’ which is almost a pointless wish at this stage. It just ain’t happening folks!

That being said, let’s wait to see how this plays out, I bet it’ll offer far more positives than “Golem Week”.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in WvW

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Nice!

15 ///////////////chars

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

Arrgh…I’m gonna be on vacation out of town when this releases, and if they disable it within a few days, I’ll miss it!

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! Pretty excited to try this. I can see the holding territory bit to avoid a zerg just floating over a wall. This should add another dynamic to DBL. Death from above!!!!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Next up a PvP map with gliding combat….

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: Jaysin X.6740

Jaysin X.6740

Hell yeah! Death from above! This should be a lot of fun.

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

And there was a line of ballis as far as the eye could see, and bodies rained from the sky…

So, is gliding going to be disabled in OS and the 2 ABL JPs?

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

And there was a line of ballis as far as the eye could see, and bodies rained from the sky…

So, is gliding going to be disabled in OS and the 2 ABL JPs?

Beta testing of the balista defense lines have already begun!

Attachments:

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: draugris.9872

draugris.9872

Lol, exactly what wvw needed to be fixed, gliding yeah. Pricelesse Anet, priceless.

Mondsucht [MS] – Kodash

in WvW

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Spellbreaker dive bombing into the middle of an attacking zerg is gonna be loads of fun!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_from_Above
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Snowfall
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Absorption
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dispelling_Force
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Enchantment_Collapse
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Loss_Aversion

I can’t wait for this change, will bring different tactics and strategy, although I think being able to deploy glider while in combat is a mistake if it is the case.

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Spellbreaker dive bombing into the middle of an attacking zerg is gonna be loads of fun!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_from_Above
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Snowfall
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Absorption
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dispelling_Force
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Enchantment_Collapse
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Loss_Aversion

I can’t wait for this change, will bring different tactics and strategy, although I think being able to deploy glider while in combat is a mistake if it is the case.

Long before desert BL and s a lark I once ran my warrior with a combo of the snowfall runes and death from above. It was hilarious. There only a few cliffs I could find that were too high to jump from and not survive. More then a few chased after me or QQed as to how I could survive those Jumps at hills while they perished.

(people must of thought I was nuts as I carefully went around all of Alpine BL and jumped off the highest clifs just to see which ones could be safe in the future)

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

Long before desert BL and s a lark I once ran my warrior with a combo of the snowfall runes and death from above. It was hilarious. There only a few cliffs I could find that were too high to jump from and not survive. More then a few chased after me or QQed as to how I could survive those Jumps at hills while they perished.

(people must of thought I was nuts as I carefully went around all of Alpine BL and jumped off the highest clifs just to see which ones could be safe in the future)

Have you tried this with windfall in dbl yet? hehe

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

blue? i dont see from where :| all the spots on blue side i can reccall where that work can be easilly avoided?

For blue you can go on the “jump” tower on the wall and dive from there. There the cliff side to hit the tower. As well as coming from the top of the keep all though green side can do that too. You maybe able to even get over the wall on the blue side and hit from more then one way over going though the choke in-frond of the keep.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA