GvG Obsidian Sanctum Support

in WvW

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

Common misconceptions about GvG:
- Adding a 4th gametype would spread players too much.
No, it wouldn’t. If there’s no GvG then those players don’t play… AT ALL. See: dwindled playerbase. GvG players also do WvW anyways because it’s good practice and guild hall arenas will be used for GvG practice. How the kitten is any of that bad? By having GvG in the obsidian sanctum you also get to implement whatever siege, stat boosts, whatever you want in regular WvW because those don’t affect obsidian sanctum.

Yep, that’s basically the only argument against GvG.

Oh, I forgot about the, “GvG isn’t really what Guild Wars means though…” argument. Just kitten with that “argument”.

Let’s be real, GvG – which came about by emergent gameplay – (which devs are supposed to look for and capitalize on – they failed to capitalize) is the real potential for “esports”, not SPvP. ESL streams are never above a thousand or so players because no one cares. The recorded videos only have a few hundred viewers.

How many views do these videos have?
- RG vs INC Over 17,000.
- RG vs Zumos Over 43,000
- WvW (not SPvP) raid of RG Over 115,000

- ESL Highlights 166 views.
- ESL Match 2,574 views.

Even the most least watched WvW and GvG videos have more views than the most watched SPvP videos.
- Add new guild permission: Kick out of arena (To work in obsidian and guild halls)
- Add function to challenge other guilds to a GvG. (Function only in obsidian sanctum)
- Able to issue challenge of 5v5, 10v10, 15v15 or 20v20.
- Add leaderboards for 5v5, 10v10, 15v15 and 20v20.
- All challenges are winner is best of 3 rounds.
- Add badge icons for all guild members. Different badge for guilds GvG rank (like SPvP)
- Add barriers around the arena so randoms can’t enter like guild halls have.
- Add entry portal in tunnel with text: Enter as contestant or Enter as spectator.
- Spectators are ported to the outer ring where combat is disabled.

- Contestants can only enter if they are a guild member of the issued GvG challenge. Only a certain amount of contestants (guild members) may enter. Example: If 5v5, only a maximum of 5 of your guild members may enter. Guild members with kick from arena permission will take the reigns from here and decide what guild members to kick out of the arena (if they’re trolling) and who may participate.

- Add ready up function where round begins when all players ready up.
- Combat is disabled in the arena until all players ready up.
- Round ends when all players on the opposing side are defeated.
- When round completes, all players automatically revive and ready up is reset.
- When final round completes, all players are revived, combat disabled, fireworks go off and players have 10 seconds until kicked from the arena to the spectator stands.
- Winner is awarded some sort of point for GvG leaderboards.

There would obviously be some other aspects that that I missed/need to be done but let’s get some kittening GUILD WARS in GUILD WARS, please?

You’re actually running out of time to save the game, btw.

in WvW

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

I don’t see how it would be difficult for them to add a map for this. GvGers don’t need anything fancy, a flat square of land with waypoints in a safe zone. Done.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

in WvW

Posted by: Mystle.4538

Mystle.4538

I like your points but if you want this topic to gain any traction post it on reddit. We all know devs don’t read official

in WvW

Posted by: displayname.8315

displayname.8315

Yeah and how about fashion shows?? I want a obsidian sanctum with a runway in it. And rows of benches for people to watch me do my walk.

GvG guilds have arenas now and what do fashion forward people get??? NOTHING

JQ subsidiary

in WvW

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Too late I’m afraid, anet lost, the moment has passed. People have been asking this for years and finally moved on leaving wvw in its current pathetic state.

Also – the guild hall arena is a joke, there is so much unused area in guild halls that they fill up with water yet they couldn’t make the arena big enough for an actual gvg it speaks greatly for their attitude towards gvg.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

in WvW

Posted by: Xeno.4610

Xeno.4610

GvG guilds have arenas now and what do fashion forward people get??? NOTHING

Not really, guild arenas are to small for GvG. Whoever designed them, probably never did GvG… You can stand in the middle and spam AOE all around the arena. Not much place for maneuvers/regroups. Not to mention other issues like visible enemy names, pve builds, terrible shiny floor texture.

in WvW

Posted by: Peterson.8345

Peterson.8345

guild hall arena is for 5v5, 10v10 tops… we tried having 15v15 gvgs there but its way too crowded for a team to employ any sort of tactics… it also lags a lot so to those who say people should go gvg into GH, sorry, we tried, it is not working…

and megaserver OS would be awesome! …seriously though, I don’t think anet will ever support gvg in any way, so lets be real and ask for megaserver OS in the time being… I think it would require less resources and is therefore more likely to happen…

(edited by Peterson.8345)

in WvW

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

I had to log in and +1 sooo many of these posts. Great points made in the original post, especially the viewership of videos. Many good ideas presented. The failure of the GH arena is important as well. In the original GW, we had the entire guild hall, THE WHOLE THING, to war in. Now they give us an area for dueling only slightly larger than an ele’s AoE bomb.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The GW2 designers/developers have shown an open dislike of GvG since release. I am not sure why they dislike it so much but it has gone so far as an actual ANet employee disrupting a GvG event in WvW while running an ANet tag. Oddly that is how the Sanctum became a GvG spot as ANet was in full PR mode.

IMO they slowly squeezed the life out of GvG groups and ended driving away a large portion of dedicated WvW players. I don’t think many if any of those guilds will ever come back.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Peterson.8345

Peterson.8345

well the thing is I know a lot of wvw/gvg dedicated ppl who are still keeping an eye on wvw development, just because gw2 has excellent combat system… there are so many little things that can be done to bring these ppl back…
also it is my opinion that wvw/gvg guild should be Anet’s TOP priority, as these guilds consist of highly dedicated players, logging into the game every day, making wvw the place to be… it’s a shame that these ppl are not encouraged to do what they want to do and instead their efforts are being smashed down to the ground by wvw ‘updates’ for the past 2 years…. seriously though, the only positive update I can think of right now is the last one (i.e. changes to rally mechanics etc…)

in WvW

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Yeah Anet dumped $400k into spvp, when they should’ve focused more on WvW & GvG. I find more enjoyment watching GvG fights than 5v5 conquest to be honest. It’s not surprising to me that there’s such a big viewership differences between sPvP and GvG/WvW.

They should’ve designed some arena’s for GvG guilds, where guilds could queue up and battle other guilds in 15v15 or 10v10. And no the tiny lil guildhall arena isn’kitten The mere fact that they created that thing and said “there that’s your GvG arena” tells you how out of touch they are. Same with the way they designed the new desert borderlands, it shows you they really didn’t have anybody on the design team that played WvW.

5v5 conquest is just a borefest anymore, especially so during the bunker meta. It still wouldn’t be all that interesting watching ppl fight over lil circles in the upcoming meta either, because it’s still the same things. People didn’t like watching it before, they still won’t like watching it after they killed the bunker meta.

But hey, handing a handful of groups of ppl $200k is supposedly good investment in Anet’s eyes. Where as GvG & WvW both have tons more active players playing, despite all the neglect from Anet.

in WvW

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It also doesn’t need to be in obsidian sanctum, but its own map. They added the “arena” to obsidian sanctum at the time to curb the dispruptive influence of GvG on the actual WvW gametype, but lets not forget the actual purpose of obsidian sanctum is a pvp jumping puzzle.

What needs to be done is simply larger arenas. Arenas were purpose built for exactly these kinds of emergent player created gametypes. The problem is that I think most of the GvG community sees the arenas as too small for proper use in their larger matchups. Fix the arenas, leave OS alone. OS as a GvG arena was a temporary fix that was never intended to be permanent.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in WvW

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

If they develop viable arenas for GVG, even in Guild Halls, expanding it, it will be a Win-Win situation, players dissatisfied with WvW will have their guild wars, and they will take good advertising to sell the HoT. plus, eliminate complain about Guild Halls being just waste of space.

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

You can give all the rational arguments that want, all backed up by viewer numbers… it doesn’t matter. Anet has zero interest in GvG.

It’s too bad because supporting GvG instead of sPvP two or three years ago: that might have gotten GW2 into real esports (as opposed to the laughingstock that it currently is).

In any case, it’s too late. People are going to come back to the game anyway.

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

+1 Guild Arenas right now are too small.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

in WvW

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

I personally find watching 5v5 PvP boring.

I would certainly agree that GvG needs to be included somewhere, but I would like to see a GvG PvP area. Teams of 10, 20, or 30 players in a couple of new maps where PPK is it and a couple where capture is important.