How is WvW considered to be PvE?

in WvW

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

Its mentioned/inferred constantly. I don’t see it. For me WvW is >99% PvP. The other 1% is me farming 25 stacks of bloodlust or perception when I bother to do so before I head out into a PvP area. But every decision Anet makes in regards to PvE has a direct effect on WvW, which I see as a completely different entity. How is it that WvW does not have independence over PvE like sPvP does. I can stomach the concept of having to do PvE to acquire what I want in a PvP area. I can understand the incentive to be involved in various parts of the game. But it feels surreal to see balance changes coming out based around PvE. The devs frequently refer to WvW as PvE and it confuses me.

in WvW

Posted by: Tinkereratheart.5086

Tinkereratheart.5086

No updates came to WvW since november months ago, and that was the simple borderlands changes, before that changes to the matchup variation and some quality of life like wxp, thats pretty much it, from the research im doing it seems nothing new is coming til april at the very least, thats if anet decides to release EOTM, there are people like devon carver wherever he may be, who still believe in the idea of “server competition” while giving nothing to wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

WvW is PvE in the MMO sense. You’re looking at what the actual letters stand for. PVP = Player vs. Player, PVE = Player vs Environment etc. But in the broad scope of MMO’s WvW would be PvE cuz it’s not PvP in the PvP sense of MMO’s. If you don’t understand that then sorry. If you don’t like the term then call it WvW which is what it is. Not PvE in the classic sense and not PvP in the PvP sense. It’s separate from those two terms so just call it WvW.

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

in WvW

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Look at it this way, in WvW you use gear and skills from what you can and should earn in PvE. The same goes for all of your enemies as well. So it is not what Anet regards as PvP simply because what they consider PvP is pretty much a near perfect “balanced” system being that everyone has access to all the exact same skills/gear right from the start.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

how new MMO players see things is what really confuse me.
gw2 simply breakdown the open-world concept into pve and pvp (aka your wvw).

anet is simply bad in balancing things, designed classes that are hard to be balanced yet still seeking for teamwork aspect when trinity concept is thrown away

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

… How is it that WvW does not have independence over PvE like sPvP does. I can stomach the concept of having to do PvE to acquire what I want in a PvP area. I can understand the incentive to be involved in various parts of the game. But it feels surreal to see balance changes coming out based around PvE. The devs frequently refer to WvW as PvE and it confuses me….

They probably call it that because it has the same skills and rules as PvE and it is organized like this because (a) there already is a specialized PvP and (b) because players like to do PvP with their PvE gear and skills. People who like PvP in buffed up gear play wvw, people who pvp only or like it a bit less gear and buff oriented play PvP

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

WvW is PvPvE.
While it does have PvP it is based around your PvE character, with your PvE gear, PvE level, PvE skills and PvE traits.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

WvW is PvPvE.
While it does have PvP it is based around your PvE character, with your PvE gear, PvE level, PvE skills and PvE traits.

None of it made sense except for pve level. You can use same character for any game mode. Many people get separate gear/trait sets specifically for www. Any skills/mechanics difference in game modes is mistake… intentional, but mistake.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in WvW

Posted by: Gatvin.6510

Gatvin.6510

Its a battleground that can support PvE as the PvP boils over less. I’ve had dead weeks in EB where me and a couple friends run around grabbing npc camps and such while weak zergs chase each other around. There’s also the supply aspect, which could be made more interesting.

in WvW

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Zerglings are basically PvE monsters waiting to be rolled over by bigger zerglings.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

It’s not PvP. It’s not PvE… It’s PvD.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

You don’t have much room to talk if you’ve only been on Vabbi since I know there is never even a small skirmish between players over there

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

I’ve always wondered… whats the story on Vabbi? Seems to be the emptiest server since I played WvW

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

Because this is a PVE game with “arenas” and wvw mode. But in his core, is a casual pve game.

They want to separate the “casual” with the “spvp hardcore mode” and for them that is pvp. But really, is not, is a “arena” minigame mode with a lot of restriction and spamfest with broken builds exploits.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I’ve always wondered… whats the story on Vabbi? Seems to be the emptiest server since I played WvW

We have a couple of guilds active at the moment. Took a huge drop after leagues but it’s better now. Mostly getting zerged by some higher pop servers though. Good thing is, we still have enough numbers (in guilds with 5-15 people groups) to pose a fight most of the times, but when the zergs come we just try to delay/hinder/annoy and then make a last stand or slip away.

I think Vabbi is one of the only servers who doesn’t do PvD and doesn’t blob and still uses tactics, basically the best server to be on if you like quality fights over steamrolling.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

In wvw when was the last time you specifically set out to find and fight another player? With no intention of taking anything ppt related? No yaks, no camps, no sentries, no ruins, just a player to kill. If the answer is never then wvw is just PvE with pvp in it. If you have, congratulations are in order you successfully found unstructured pvp, in a PvE map.

Pvp generally consists of killing or at the very least fighting other players, but if you go into wvw to cap sentries, kill yaks, etc. then is your intention really pvp? And if you’re intention is PvE then isn’t the end result a PvE maps with some pvp?

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

WvW uses the PVE ruleset, systems, features, which is why anet ruled wvw as pve and why any changes to that ruleset affects wvw. Makes sense in that you still have to fight npcs in there, albeit not challenging pve stuff but it’s still there, and you can level normally in there like pve.

sPVP has it’s own ruleset which they classify as the pure pvp system, they don’t need to balance skills against npcs just the players, makes it easier for them to balance the skills in there.

Yes wvw should have either been included with the sPVP ruleset or on it’s own all together, but given they don’t even have much dev power on wvw I would think it would taken even longer for us to get any changes to broken things.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

WvW is PvE in the MMO sense. You’re looking at what the actual letters stand for. PVP = Player vs. Player, PVE = Player vs Environment etc. But in the broad scope of MMO’s WvW would be PvE cuz it’s not PvP in the PvP sense of MMO’s. If you don’t understand that then sorry. If you don’t like the term then call it WvW which is what it is. Not PvE in the classic sense and not PvP in the PvP sense. It’s separate from those two terms so just call it WvW.

This doesn’t make any sense.

If you’re competing against players, you’re doin playing player versus player. WvW is competing against players.

Whether that means that it should be integrated with the other player versus player mode or the non-player versus player modes then I would say ArenaNet is trying to build a game where you are the same character with much the same things no matter where you go (even though their original vision might have been different, they seem to be pushing that way). Some continuity between modes probably helps immersion and makes things less complicated.

Makes sense, I think. Though what I would like is for WvW to have no equipment grind, like sPvP. PvE would be better if it was like that too. Guild Wars 1, why were you so good?

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

In wvw when was the last time you specifically set out to find and fight another player? With no intention of taking anything ppt related? No yaks, no camps, no sentries, no ruins, just a player to kill. If the answer is never then wvw is just PvE with pvp in it. If you have, congratulations are in order you successfully found unstructured pvp, in a PvE map.

Pvp generally consists of killing or at the very least fighting other players, but if you go into wvw to cap sentries, kill yaks, etc. then is your intention really pvp? And if you’re intention is PvE then isn’t the end result a PvE maps with some pvp?

Capping stuff is a means to find players. Sorry, the map is so massive you don’t just find players without going to objectives. Think of them as Marks on the map where we can fight. And yes, the only reason I go to WvW is to fight players. But unfortunately as I said above you have to make them come to you first.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]