I just love these "guild raids"

in WvW

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I’ve been on a couple of guilds now that have this thing called “guild raid” on WvW borderlands.

“Everyone get on TS”, “Which TS?”, “Our own TS.”
“Everyone needs to have microphone to join and xxKIdxxx stop playing music on backround please.”

Then about 7 people show up on borderlands and start afk’ing at spawn for good part of hour waiting for their buddies to show up. Once the number is about 15 it’s time to get inventory of professions and what equipment everyone is wearing. There’s debates about builds and what order every skill is used. The guild may have commander in it, but he doesn’t turn the tag on because some smelly PUGs might join the guild raid and that would diminish the glory.

“Alright, looks like we’re set.”
The 15-man guild group ventures out and meets enemy 25-35 man PUG group with commander leading it. The wipe is real.

“OMG you guys suck! Didn’t I just tell you what field you need to put down! Why don’t you stick up with me?”
2 players kicked from guild.
Raid over.

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

I had a guy asking about our recruiting in game. He asked “when is your raid” and I replied “we have no set raid time, we just go into WvW most of the time” and he wandered off.

I think it’s just fine for a guild to have set raid times; but I personally look for people that want to WvW even if there isn’t someone demanding their attention.
We don’t ban rangers but we do encourage them to bring something beefier if they are doing something other than roaming.

in WvW

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

one major thing i learned regarding organized guilds and raids…unless there is a critical mass of competent players who know how to work together, the group will get wiped and morale will sink. if this occurs repeatedly, the people will start bickering about who knows what’s best, and the guild will fall apart. people will either get disheartened and wander off/leave, or get kicked by the leaders. guilds with completely decentralized or passive leadership either arent successful at zerg stomping, or fall apart.

so it just depends on what your cup of tea is. but this definitely touches on why many, many “hardcore gvg” guilds dont last.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in WvW

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

There is an element of the OP’s version of truth in many guild outings. It is a fact of life, since a certain game increased the playerbase to be very inclusive.

I would suggest rather than be put off by the raid mentality, play the game, find people with similar attitudes to your own and most importantly…….. Do not be afraid to venture out into WVW without the guild.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

in WvW

Posted by: KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

My advice: There is 1 rule in organizing which MUST be followed in order to make an event enjoyable:

1) DO what you SAY.

When you rally in a BL, don’t go afk waiting for more. If raid starts at 8PM, then start it at 8PM. If you don’t, people will stop showing up at 8PM. If your raids are failing, its the fault of your organizer. NOT the members.

Fort Aspenwood – Elementalist
Character name: Azilyi

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

Apparently some people have bad guilds.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: stinkypants.8419

stinkypants.8419

Good grief. Just login and go. Don’t try so hard, it’s just a game.

(Alvyn | Crystal Desert )

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Bad guild bad players. Bad example of a good guild with good players.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Posted by: Cantur Soulfyre.5409

Cantur Soulfyre.5409

Around 95% of our players are in WvW when they are on doing whatever they want, most usually gather when a call is made but it is not required.

However, during our scheduled raid times, you are required to be on the commander (unless you are scouting), be in a party (hopefully a good balance for buffs, etc.), and be in the VoIP we are using. Works well when you have players that listen (mostly).

Cantar Soulfyre-Norn W|Canter Soulfyre-Human G|Cantirus Foghorn – Charr R
Born and raised in Sorrow’s Furnace – WvWvWest Coast Squad
“All hail the mighty Flame Ram!!!” – said by Someone Somewhere at Sometime

in WvW

Posted by: Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

Tl;DR:
1- Naming your guild hardcore won’t make scrub players magically play better
2- Find a good guild

[Scnd] Use Your Illusion

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Even good guilds aren’t THAT good. But a feeling of superiority drives them, this feeling or aura or whatever, makes others think they are that great. Even though they aint.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I’ve been on a couple of guilds now that have this thing called “guild raid” on WvW borderlands.

“Everyone needs to have microphone to join and xxKIdxxx stop playing music on backround please.”

Then about 7 people show up on borderlands and start afk’ing at spawn for good part of hour waiting for their buddies to show up. Once the number is about 15 it’s time to get inventory of professions and what equipment everyone is wearing. There’s debates about builds and what order every skill is used. The guild may have commander in it, but he doesn’t turn the tag on because some smelly PUGs might join the guild raid and that would diminish the glory.

The 15-man guild group ventures out and meets enemy 25-35 man PUG group with commander leading it. The wipe is real.

“OMG you guys suck! Didn’t I just tell you what field you need to put down! Why don’t you stick up with me?”
Raid over.

Sounds like you need to find a new guild. The one your describe above is slightly more elitist than is good.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Slightly exaggerated experience but this has been my experience quite often. Lots of standing around waiting to get going.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

What Azilyi said. Usually it comes down to some sort of failure of leadership. For example, debate about builds and which classes right before a raid. That stuff should already be sorted.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Heezdedjim.8902

Heezdedjim.8902

I’m in ur raidz lootin ur bagz.

in WvW

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

What Azilyi said. Usually it comes down to some sort of failure of leadership. For example, debate about builds and which classes right before a raid. That stuff should already be sorted.

and good players should already have a deep understanding of the meta, meaning they shouldnt be arguing to run ineffective builds. successful GvG/GvZ guilds embrace and expand upon the meta. currently, there is virtually nothing new you could do to improve your guild’s performance, that the top guilds arent already doing, or havent already done. this includes adding rangers to the raid.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Sounds like bad guilds to me, our guild raids are always enjoyable.

in WvW

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

Some things change. An example. LB/Hammer is fast becoming a first pick among guilds. Also many builds depend on composition. To give and example here, in NA most guilds are built for survivability and use war banner for rallying. But in EU many guilds build alot more DPS heavy and focus down states for rallying and use signet instead of banner. There is no one meta that all should follow. Its dependent on an entire groups composition.

in WvW

Posted by: phantomlord.3417

phantomlord.3417

Sounds like a terrible guild

Generalrob

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

I always thought that “let’s sit in spawn for an hour while people finish FotM” was stupid. I don’t care if you have 3 people or 30; just start doing stuff and deal with people who don’t want to play with your guild later.

in WvW

Posted by: AgentChaos.4932

AgentChaos.4932

is your guild recruiting? sounds like my kind of guild

Roleplayer.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

A guild group should ALWAYS win fights as long as the enemy has less than twice as many.

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Slightly exaggerated experience but this has been my experience quite often. Lots of standing around waiting to get going.

You still need to find a new guild. Preferably one with enough bodies that they don’t have to stand around for an hour getting professions squared away.

My guild is typically ready to move out within 1 to 2 minutes, and no one is ever kicked because of mistakes made.

(edited by timidobserver.7925)

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Guild raids p*ss me off, sorry. I understand it’s " Guild Wars " but how crucial guilds are of followers really bothers me. I’m not in a guild for almost that exact reason… The majority of them, let me stress majority will shoo away anyone who isn’t in their guild or scrutinize them until they leave. Sure, there are benefits to being coordinated that much no one can deny. But you shouldn’t exclude people because they’re not a part of your guild, they’re still a part of your server. Let them run with you and who knows maybe they’ll enjoy your conversations and how you play as a team and bam, new recruit.
Not only that, as everyone so often says, coverage wars it should be the more the merrier.

Way I see it, if you’re going to guild raid do what KrazyFlyinChicken said and do what you say don’t kitten around for 60 minutes or have a fit on the five people that want to follow you.
Sorry for the temper but guild raids really grind my gears. It’s like being on the battle field and saying “no, we’re fighting for the same thing but we’re called ‘super friends’ and you can’t fight with us because you’re not a super friend.” It makes no sense.
And thus why I enjoy PUG’s even if they scatter at the sight of a red name. At least they’ll pick you up if you go down and welcome any one who wants to fight by their side.

My advice: There is 1 rule in organizing which MUST be followed in order to make an event enjoyable:

1) DO what you SAY.

When you rally in a BL, don’t go afk waiting for more. If raid starts at 8PM, then start it at 8PM. If you don’t, people will stop showing up at 8PM. If your raids are failing, its the fault of your organizer. NOT the members.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

So the moral of the story is: don’t join a bad guild?

in WvW

Posted by: ParaldaWind.4523

ParaldaWind.4523

Sounds like either a new, inexperienced, or bad guild to me. If people are arguing about builds before every raid and showing up late, there are a lot of problems happening before you even get into a fight.

I see a lot of guilds like this come and go. It’s not easy to get started, and there honestly aren’t any real guides to help you along the way.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]
Maguuma – youtube.com/pyrogw2

in WvW

Posted by: Typhus.3502

Typhus.3502

“Guild Raids” are the main reason I still play guild wars.

[TW] Pumped

in WvW

Posted by: Fannwong.3059

Fannwong.3059

Hello Zenith

Can I assume that your guild is really interested in improving?

Perhaps you can ask one of the hardcore guilds in your server to give some form of training or share some ideas.

Alternatively, you might want to enquire about asking or hiring drivers who specialize in gvg (15 and 20) mans or openfield skirmish (15-25man). It can go up to 1000-1500g (excluding transfer cost) for 1-2 weeks of training including build setups etc. Works out at ~4.76g per person per day for 14 days in a 15man group.

You might also get the trainer to log on to an account with a guard or warrior on your server if he/she doesn’t want to move over.

FW

Raid over.

[SoX] – JQ

(edited by Fannwong.3059)

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Guild raids p*ss me off, sorry. I understand it’s " Guild Wars " but how crucial guilds are of followers really bothers me. I’m not in a guild for almost that exact reason… The majority of them, let me stress majority will shoo away anyone who isn’t in their guild or scrutinize them until they leave. Sure, there are benefits to being coordinated that much no one can deny. But you shouldn’t exclude people because they’re not a part of your guild, they’re still a part of your server.

Well I haven’t encountered that on JQ at all.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Sounds like a bad guild.

- Hashing out group builds and skill rotations has its time and place and pre-raid isn’kitten That’s a red flag lol.

- Any guild that cares about synergy, precision, positioning and all the other good stuff will probably care a lot about seeing what they can accomplish as a group. Random people who are not in the loop, or are on on uplevls or running selfish/crappy PvE builds tends to mess that up. I don’t blame guild groups for not tagging up.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Apparently some people have bad guilds.

Or just bad PUGs in general. If your server has a weak PUG skill pool you are going to have to work harder to skill them up to “guild level.”

2 players rangers kicked from guild.
Raid over.

You also need actual leaders leading guilds. Also, fixed that for you.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

sry but why are u in the guild then? obviously u are in a zergbusting guild, so this is how things go in such a guild.
my guild runs tagless. yes, we dont want the pugs to follow us and no not because of the glory, u guys rally the entire zerg if u run with them. tagless guilds mean DO NOT FOLLOW! its very annoying when u have 8 people down of a 40 man zerg and 1 pug runs in and dies right away and rallies them all!

yeah the key about zergbusting is organizing and yes i get yelled at if i die and rally everyone and also others. but in the end its my choice and i like the hardcore raids. they are rough, but for u it seems like its time for a new guild.
if u zergbust u gotta be on the leader at all time, so yeah no wonder he yells at u guys for not sticking by him. and if u guys get wiped by 25-35 zerg with 15 peopl…well your leader reallly should be yelling at u guys. we run with 15-22 people and destroy 40+. so yeah it is possible. but the grouping up in the beginning is important so the leader knows which classes are available and which strategies to use.

my advice to u. got to another guild that is less serious about those raids. im sure u will have a ton of fun there. i like both. i have my fun guild and my zergbusting guild and both gives me epic fun!

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

OP find better leader or raid leader or create your own.

the good leader choose where and who will fight with what he has . he is not pushing further or suicide his crew if there is not any valuable reason ( save the keep or tower ) just to find his crew limits. if he wants to find the limits he must raise the challenge slowly to keep up his crew morale.

and there is always one rule , the boons matters in gw2

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

OP met a bad commander

A good commander will analyze what went wrong and work to fix it, whether it’s simply being outnumbered, or certain tactics that didn’t work, or perhaps certain individuals could have done better.

The reason why you run tagless is to bring out the strengths of the guild, but that requires a fair amount of skill and focus from your guildies. If your guild isn’t that hardcore, then it’s pointless to go tagless. I’ve seen some good guilds that usually tag up trying to go tagless for the first time and it isn’t pretty.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

Even good guilds aren’t THAT good. But a feeling of superiority drives them, this feeling or aura or whatever, makes others think they are that great. Even though they aint.

Ain’t that the truth. One of the guilds on my server said they did not want anyone else running with them – no problem. Then came the statement about their superiority to everyone else and how much they can achieve. Having witnessed some of the decisions by their commander its highly debatable. Although when something goes wrong apparently all the players lack skill; never the commanders fault.

in WvW

Posted by: CYB.9012

CYB.9012

This is obviously the case of a failed leader. Leave that guild.

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

Lol this thread

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

in WvW

Posted by: DanyK.3842

DanyK.3842

Forget about “guilding” in Guild Wars 2. Blobbing is where it’s at!

Sir Dany | Twitch
110k WvW kills | Champion Legionnaire, Paragon |

in WvW

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

lol, it’s true in every pvp game

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

A good guild of 15 will have no problems with a pug group of 25.

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

My old havoc guild used to “raid” almost every night around reset to 9 (server time) and didn’t really mind who ran what, as long as we did what we were supposed to do well. Some people take the elitist crap way too over the top — trust me, I was in Team Legacy; I know.

Find a better guild. You’re better off without the need to be stressed over your build or class in a game.

in WvW

Posted by: iTB.1428

iTB.1428

I just love these “guild raids” … yea me too

You have server spreadsheet which tells you at what map you are playing
You have guild spreadsheet which tells you what class and in what party you are playing
At 8.00 PM you have 25 man raid rdy and armed to teeth … for the next 3 hours you are rdy to wipe the floor with anything that stands in front of you unless it’s triple your size (and sometimes even that)

problem???

I tb | Necro Raiders [NR]
Aurora Glade

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

I prefer to run solo…or with a small group of PUGs that have demonstrated some sort of capability and WvW savvy.

Running Guild raids…done that. I find it too much work and effort. I play GW2 to have fun and relax…not as a second job.

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

A good guild of 15 will have no problems with a pug group of 25.

Depends.

I’ve taken a pug group of around 35 and wiped a pug group of around 50. Granted EBG has the worst pugs the game has to offer… Depends on both commanders’ tactics.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

It doesn’t help when there’s no feature to schedule guild events besides the motd, no alerts besides PM’ing everyone who’s not reading guild chat, no easy way to share build templates in game, no easy way to share equipment templates in game, and it practically takes the labors of Hercules to completely a change build and equipment. Very serious guilds that have a forum, and members that actually read their forum can organize their business there, but the overwhelming majority of guilds do not. These should be features of the game, but then again, the party system still doesn’t even work correctly in WvW, so what can we really expect?

I read and comment on this forums quite regularly and still haven’t figured out if features missing that seem completely obvious to players is due to negligence, incompetence, or lack of development resources. Anyway, you’re right that it’s very frustrating having to wait around for guild raids and often get blobbed to death, but the latter is often due to poor leadership. A good leader can figure out something to do whether they have 3 uplevels or 30 good players, and not drive into pointless low win % battles over and over.

When things do go well it can be quite fun, so don’t quit on trying to find the right group. The only trouble is that for most players it does eventually get boring because you’re just a cog in a wheel doing the same thing over and over, making no decisions or contributing skillful play that changes the course of a battle. You just have to press some buttons with reasonable proficiency and not rally bot. That’s not really too much better than being a pug blobber, and skipping all the wasted time trying to be organized in a game that anet apparently does not want to be organized.

in WvW

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

Hello Zenith

Can I assume that your guild is really interested in improving?

Perhaps you can ask one of the hardcore guilds in your server to give some form of training or share some ideas.

Alternatively, you might want to enquire about asking or hiring drivers who specialize in gvg (15 and 20) mans or openfield skirmish (15-25man). It can go up to 1000-1500g (excluding transfer cost) for 1-2 weeks of training including build setups etc. Works out at ~4.76g per person per day for 14 days in a 15man group.

You might also get the trainer to log on to an account with a guard or warrior on your server if he/she doesn’t want to move over.

FW

Raid over.

best scam NA

OT: get a new guild

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in WvW

Posted by: Phoebe Poison.4875

Phoebe Poison.4875

Not sure what the point of this thread is, but it is quite funny.

-

(edited by Phoebe Poison.4875)

in WvW

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I’m not angry. I think it’s funny how different idea some players have what WvW is about. I think it’s a game of numbers and coordination. They think it’s closer to GvG in the first Guild Wars. There’s just way too many variables to consider when setting these raids. It would be reasonable to assume that the players probably understand the character they’ve spent hundreds of hours playing and have developed their own style of playing.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

You still need to find a new guild. Preferably one with enough bodies that they don’t have to stand around for an hour getting professions squared away.

My guild is typically ready to move out within 1 to 2 minutes, and no one is ever kicked because of mistakes made.

I have tried several and keep coming back to my small group of friends. We constantly move, never sit around and do not have downtime selling when we are together. We cut up and talk about random stuff between fights and all business during them. If I could find a larger guild like that, I would probably join.

I would also add that many guilds boast, brag and run down other groups on voice chat between fights and yell during them. I am too old to listen to that crap.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Cantur Soulfyre.5409

Cantur Soulfyre.5409

Ain’t that the truth. One of the guilds on my server said they did not want anyone else running with them – no problem. Then came the statement about their superiority to everyone else and how much they can achieve. Having witnessed some of the decisions by their commander its highly debatable. Although when something goes wrong apparently all the players lack skill; never the commanders fault.

Have to love Elitist guilds. Had a couple of these on the server for a bit, they typically transfer from server to server over time, they come in telling everyone how great they are but if you want to run with them you have to 100% rep, change your class and build to match what they want, etc., etc. They poach a few players and then jump to their next bandwagon. Funny thing was I saw them wipe many times to even numbers, wonder why they never posted those vids…

Cantar Soulfyre-Norn W|Canter Soulfyre-Human G|Cantirus Foghorn – Charr R
Born and raised in Sorrow’s Furnace – WvWvWest Coast Squad
“All hail the mighty Flame Ram!!!” – said by Someone Somewhere at Sometime