Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

… thread bug fix…

Identities of Linked Worlds

in WvW

Posted by: Shiera.3152

Shiera.3152

Solution 1
This destroys both the identity of the host world and the linked world by removing both of their names.
It would also require learning which alliance name corresponds to which worlds – and that is an extra level of tediousness I don’t want to bother with.

Solution 2
This doesn’t really change what we have now.
Changing the system from world names to colours doesn’t change the information or the problem or server identities, it merely means I would have to pay more attention to what colour I am and who the enemies are.
The main reason I dislike this is because I can see it being used for confusion, thus making information harder to read.
“Objective Captured! [Guild Name] has captured [objective name].”
OK, so I am currently against Piken Square and Far Shiverpeaks, why can’t I make a guild such that this announcement reads
“Objective Captured! Far Shiverpeaks Warriors [FSPW] has captured Pangloss Rise”
(for example), when I can make such a guild but not be on that server?
If that appeared in your chat log would you assume it was FSP who capped it? I probably would, but that doesn’t mean it was, and I know more than a few people would be tempted to make a few such guilds just to confuse the enemy scouts and players.

Somebody else has already raised the issue of PvX guilds, and as somebody who often has to claim objectives by declaiming enemy ones other members of one of my PvX guild have claimed – yes, I think this could be very confusing.

Solution 3
Displaying who capped an objective is fine IMO, but then again one of the reasons why linked servers have lost their identity is because player names are not displayed to enemies.
I have to go against this solution because it still doesn’t solve that problem.

Things that should happen (To work towards an ‘ideal scenario’ in my opinion)

1. All players names should be their world and their world alone
    This allows players to keep their personal server identity.
    The issue of knowing who you are fighting shouldn’t be a problem, you are only seeing a few extra world names, that any body who actually plats WvW would learn quickly anyway.
    Although, yes, I agree that if there are lots of worlds linked (i.e. each world has 2 links, so 9 total) then it could become potentially confusing.
  2. Show only a single name when capturing things
    I want to know that something has been captured and by what side, showing me all the names of a world doesn’t give me more information, it just clutters it.
  3. Abbreviations for Worlds should be used where appropriate
    Us WvW players use these all the time anyway when talking about worlds, I can’t see why anet can’t officially use them to save clutter in areas where they want to reduce the amount of space that text takes up
A simple Vabbian who mainly does World Boss tours. I go by Shiera or Arisais.
I used to like to scout in WvW before the participation changes.
Also a Skritt-like hoarder of shinies.

in WvW

Posted by: Falx.8427

Falx.8427

How would any of those “proposals” change anything at all?

To recreate “identities” you have two options:

1. Throw current servers in the garbage, create new worlds and give players 1 free transfer. And this time you would only make 12 new servers for both EU and NA.

2. Merge the current servers and force certain players to accept that their world doesn’t exist anymore. Make us vote for which server names we want to keep, then merge the current servers into the ones getting the most votes.

DONE, problem solved.

Now you can focus on things that actually matters, like giving us a bigger GvG arena.

Amplified Wrath [AmP]
Badmash [bM]
Furious Cookies [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

How would any of those “proposals” change anything at all?

To recreate “identities” you have two options:

1. Throw current servers in the garbage, create new worlds and give players 1 free transfer. And this time you would only make 12 new servers for both EU and NA.

2. Merge the current servers and force certain players to accept that their world doesn’t exist anymore. Make us vote for which server names we want to keep, then merge the current servers into the ones getting the most votes.

DONE, problem solved.

Now you can focus on things that actually matters, like giving us a bigger GvG arena.

chuckles

While we’re at it…we might as well pre-schedule the following year...to throw out 12 servers, then create new worlds and give players 1 free transfer again. But this time just make 6 new servers for both EU and NA.

That way we can reduce the amount of delay time to solve things again.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: neven.3785

neven.3785

I think option one is the most eloquent solution for this, however i do see a major flaw with it. Reset night and Queues when re-linking happens.

If you dont know who you are with, and you dont know the name of your alliance it will cause confusion on that reset night. Not a lot, but a simple mishap or taking too long to figure it out means you are locked out of wvw for 30-40 minutes.

I would like to see option 1, but paired with an earlier announcement of what the new links/alliance names are so people can better coordinate that rush to get your guilds in a map. I think it can be paired with a transfer lock out for relinking days to prevent people moving last minute to stack a pairing

in WvW

Posted by: toro toro toro.8640

toro toro toro.8640

I NEVER post but i think we need ANET to seriously devote as much time and effort into fixing WVW and PVP as they focus on PVE and new content. We all know the end game is WVW or PVP, PVE is only enjoyable with new content and its become quite honestly pathetic with the year after year continued events that never change either, i.e. the mad kings lab, really, the same AGAIN, cummon u lazy kittens ANET, do something better!!!

So, i have to say stop trying to invent server names for linking, that is NOT the problem with WVW, server identity is not was is killing this game mode, so ANET, listen up please…. if WVW and PVP completely die, so will this game for all players who helped build this game by supporting ANET through gem store purchases and real world money spent on this game.

ANET, please for the love of TRUMP, fix WVW first and foremost. You need to change the way servers are ranked, you need to stop introducing lame beta seige that makes the cancer worse in wvw. here are some simple, yes very very simple steps to stop the flight from wvw.

1. make all walls and doors stronger please… fortify status needs to be stronger, same with reinforced needs to be stronger, and also “paper” needs to be stronger, i would say whatever strength is reinforced now make that the new “paper level”, and bump up the levels from there, make reinforced now to foritfy, etc. u get my point. this will help buy time to properly defend against a zerg.

2. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIX LINE OF SIGHT. Give omegas back the line of sight they had before, jesus, whats good about an omega if you can only hit a wall or door. and NO player should be able to hit a piece of seige like they do now, thats the point of omegas, not players. hitting ac’s tucked so far on the other side of the wall and enemy AOE goes over the wall and halfway down the wall, thats lame!

3. Extend the hill’s (big hill between smc and red keep) height in EBG so that Red Keep and Stonemist cannot play treb wars all day long with each other, you fixed this on the BL’s with garrison and West Keep (bay, water keep, whatever u call it, you all know this keep and prior issue) This helped solve that issue, do the same for EBG.

4. Balance the dragon, turtle, centaur Banners better, these are not used because they suck, fix them for more fun for everyone to change things up a bit. But please dont make them so O.P. it defeats the point.

5. Last but not least! If you want people to spend time on Desert BL, and you want it to work.. You have to put in portals like worm tunnels in Mists for people to be able to navigate it. Seriously, how can you go from spawn waypoint, to fire keep or air keep and defend it, if it takes you 3 to 4 mins, thats enough time to flip a keep if a zerg is there. Make worm tunnels from spawn to warp to middle of map and bottom of map, that will give people the ability to actually navigate the map, that’s simple right? You already have that mechanic in place in edge, just add it to Desert BL! It would be nice to have on alpine also one worm tunnel from spawn waypoint to warp to dead middle of map, that would be very nice also. that would really be neato… PLEASE LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO COMMENT ANET

all of the quaggans who lost their lake in alpine bl’s, please give those refugees a home! Bring them back to WVW! Bring them to South East camp, water camp, whatever you know which camp i mean.. I miss QUAGGANS!!!!!!

Aristocratic Asura
best mesmer NA

(edited by toro toro toro.8640)

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Not sure if anyone has already suggested this, but for nameplates would it be possible to fit in an abbreviated server tag for linked servers, for example:

[ET] Crystal Desert Invader (ABC)

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Not sure if anyone has already suggested this, but for nameplates would it be possible to fit in an abbreviated server tag for linked servers, for example:

I didz! (somewhere near end page 3 if you feel like a wall of text).

Red Invader [SIN][Kain]

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: stormstyle.3578

stormstyle.3578

Am surprised that anet thinking about us from guest worlds. thanks btw.
I did like some of solution 2 and 3.
- worlds would be referred to by their color in wvw score menu. not on objectives. instead show the server name of the world that capped it. if it was the most of one world their server name would own it.
- i would also like to have an clear way we can see what server people from, on our team. like an text or just “UW” when you click players.
- the map name would be Green border. Not the host world. like it is now, we are NOT fighting for an “home border”, we are fighting for an other server’s border.
- for enemies, they would just see the color name instead of server name.
- for announcements, it would say what server capped it. for enemies it would just say color.
just my thoughts.

[TAL] Uhino
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Red Invader [SIN][Kain]

Ah sorry, was too many posts to go through lol.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Red Invader [SIN][Kain]

Understandable, threads like this always ends up into a pile of replies to the OP, and no one can be bothered to read past halfway first page.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Red Invader [SIN][Kain]

Understandable, threads like this always ends up into a pile of replies to the OP, and no one can be bothered to read past halfway first page.

Or even that far since I made the suggestion about 7 posts into the thread lol.

But yeah, this is definitely the most logical choice and it has been brought up numerous times since the servers were first linked. Why anet would prefer to destroy server identity even further instead of going with this simple choice is baffling.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: billkamm.9201

billkamm.9201

I am primarly a WvW player in this game. My home server is Gate of Madness. Personally, I preferred the old pre-server linking system for the following reasons:

- There are only currently 4 tiers. Your server has very little room to move up and down if things are going too well or too bad. If you get stuck in a linkage that is either too dominant or too weak you are stuck that way for 2 months. With the old model of several tiers you could move up and down until you found a sweet spot for competition.
- I preferred smaller poulation match-ups, because it was more fun for roamers and small groups. You could feel like you contributed more. Nowadays with the high populations of server linkings I feel as thought ever objective I go to is either already be taking by allies or defending by an enemy zerg. I find it hard to do anything, but join the blob and blob along with them. Some people don’t enjoy mindless blobbing.
- The server linkings and the suggestions put forth here destroy a sense of server community. One of things I loved when I first started playing WvW was that sense of community pride you had from being a particular server and the hatred you developed for your rival servers. All of this has been stripped away and I feel these changes will make it even worse.

Things I do like:
- I really like the skirmish scoring which reduces the impact of off timezone guilds/players max-ticking throughout the night making the primetime hours pointless to play.
- I like having a permanent desert borderlands. I think it would be amazing if we ever got a third unique borderlands or if we could update EOTM to playable/balanced enough to be in the rotation for EB.

Suggestions:
- At this point I think we would be better off just straight up merging populations than continuning with this odd server linking. Open up free transfers and make servers go “full” extremely quickly to keep the balance as guilds/players move around. Force everyone to re-pick their server. Don’t count players with extremely low WvW ranks as part of the population. You can elminate some servers if you wish, but definitely have more match-ups than the current 4.
- Afterwards bring back tournaments. This created immense server pride in the past.

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I NEVER post but i think we need ANET to seriously devote as much time and effort into fixing WVW and PVP as they focus on PVE and new content. We all know the end game is WVW or PVP, PVE is only enjoyable with new content and its become quite honestly pathetic with the year after year continued events that never change either, i.e. the mad kings lab, really, the same AGAIN, cummon u lazy kittens ANET, do something better!!!

So, i have to say stop trying to invent server names for linking, that is NOT the problem with WVW, server identity is not was is killing this game mode, so ANET, listen up please…. if WVW and PVP completely die, so will this game for all players who helped build this game by supporting ANET through gem store purchases and real world money spent on this game.

ANET, please for the love of TRUMP, fix WVW first and foremost. You need to change the way servers are ranked, you need to stop introducing lame beta seige that makes the cancer worse in wvw. here are some simple, yes very very simple steps to stop the flight from wvw.

1. make all walls and doors stronger please… fortify status needs to be stronger, same with reinforced needs to be stronger, and also “paper” needs to be stronger, i would say whatever strength is reinforced now make that the new “paper level”, and bump up the levels from there, make reinforced now to foritfy, etc. u get my point. this will help buy time to properly defend against a zerg.

2. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIX LINE OF SIGHT. Give omegas back the line of sight they had before, jesus, whats good about an omega if you can only hit a wall or door. and NO player should be able to hit a piece of seige like they do now, thats the point of omegas, not players. hitting ac’s tucked so far on the other side of the wall and enemy AOE goes over the wall and halfway down the wall, thats lame!

3. Extend the hill’s (big hill between smc and red keep) height in EBG so that Red Keep and Stonemist cannot play treb wars all day long with each other, you fixed this on the BL’s with garrison and West Keep (bay, water keep, whatever u call it, you all know this keep and prior issue) This helped solve that issue, do the same for EBG.

4. Balance the dragon, turtle, centaur Banners better, these are not used because they suck, fix them for more fun for everyone to change things up a bit. But please dont make them so O.P. it defeats the point.

5. Last but not least! If you want people to spend time on Desert BL, and you want it to work.. You have to put in portals like worm tunnels in Mists for people to be able to navigate it. Seriously, how can you go from spawn waypoint, to fire keep or air keep and defend it, if it takes you 3 to 4 mins, thats enough time to flip a keep if a zerg is there. Make worm tunnels from spawn to warp to middle of map and bottom of map, that will give people the ability to actually navigate the map, that’s simple right? You already have that mechanic in place in edge, just add it to Desert BL! It would be nice to have on alpine also one worm tunnel from spawn waypoint to warp to dead middle of map, that would be very nice also. that would really be neato… PLEASE LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO COMMENT ANET

all of the quaggans who lost their lake in alpine bl’s, please give those refugees a home! Bring them back to WVW! Bring them to South East camp, water camp, whatever you know which camp i mean.. I miss QUAGGANS!!!!!!

Aristocratic Asura
best mesmer NA

1. 3 (NUMBER three since the program is changing my number to “1” AND NOT “3”)

is the most egregious error Anet ever did in WvW as far as I am concerned.

Someone tell Anet that putting a # before a number isn’t license to change what a person types to what they are hiding as a command.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

in WvW

Posted by: Krevra.4289

Krevra.4289

I reckon just balance worlds best you can, and come up with new names, which i suppose is kinda option one.

Tho i still strongly believe that worlds need to be condensed further and map sizes slightly reduced to help against lag. Just merge populations, we already been working with alot of these guys it would be pretty bad to separate us for any reason. We need a feeling of community and identity.

Number Fourtyseven
Guild leader of [BMS] Better Metal Snake

in WvW

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

A better proposal to make Guild Wars 2 – especially its WvW Part “great again” to say it with Trumps words, as thats what you want to hear from us:

Turn the concept of WvW (World vs. World vs World) into a grand single Mist Factions War, and redesign WvW into FvF (Faction vs. Faction vs Faction)

Ged rid finally of this world nonsense with tons of “Servers”. This concept has died out on the very moment you changed the game to Mega Servers, this change was the coffin for WvW that makes any sane person believe since then, that you have a screw or more loose for not realizing for so long, that this concept doesn’t work anymore any longer and that this game mode is in a dire need for a strong change in its fundamental gameplay elements to keep the game mode strong and interesting for the players, while solving finally also some of the biggest issues and problems that WvW has had from the begin on with the populations and the time differences – two huge problems, that will never be solved, as long the game mode keeps using a server based system grounded on “worlds” that have different time zones and different amounts of active players.

With Factions you don’t have the problem of either time zones, nor populations, when players shared among all servers get split up evenly among 3 Factions, that rotate through every match, so that every player partakes sooner or earlier for every faction with the only thign being important that “Guilds stay together”, that it doesn’t degenerate into a big all vs all literally.

This way has Anet to overview only Single Players and Guild Players individually how the system puts them evenly into the three Factions, what is ALOT easier to handle and to overview, than to handle like 40+ different server “worlds” and to link them with each other every few weeks in such a way, that no side has too big advantages in population towards one of the other two sides.

The game just calculates then how many single players without guild are there, how many guild players are there and how big they are together and creates based on this info a plan on where the game puts the players to a faction.

Example:

We have a 50 Man guild, that wants to join the new FvF, Faction 1 and 2 already have alot of Guild players assigned to by the game for this weeks match, so that 50 man guild will be assigned to Faction 3 that has yet not as many even sized guilds on that side, as like the other two factions.
Onjce the match is over, Guilds will get flagged for one Faction, so more Flags that Guild collects for Faction X, so less likely it will become for that Guild to be assigned again for the same Faction for the next Match to increase the chances, that the Guilds will rotate through the three Factions often enough, while theres still the chance, that you could end up again in the same Faction for the next Match.

With adding a Faction System, WvW could get updated also to receive three special unique faction based Reward Tracks towards you earn Reputation Points only, when you were assigned towards Faction X, with that you can earn WvW specific legendary rewards like WvW legendary Back Items, WvW pecific legendary Armors for the 3 armor types (one type per faction track) and/or something missing in the game, that could be WvW unique as rewards – Legendary Accessoires (Rings, Earrings, Necklaces, Amulets, Belts ect whatever (while I also believe this should be alswo somethign for Jeweler 500 wink wink to let you never forget that thing is STILL missing !!!)

Players would be flagged then this way:

[Faction] Player with [Rank] has captured [Objective Name] on [Map], so that we get to see also finally in chat cross map infos on what is happening on the other maps, while we play somewhere else.

Example:

Mist Lords of Vermillion’s Evil Kneevel of Rank Gold Invader has Captured Stonemist Castle in Eternal Battlefields (Game names the person, who dealt the last defeating hit against/ or most damage vs the Castle Lord, or stood the longest in the Capture Circle)

Half an hour later you may read then for example.

Sky Pirates of Cerulean Ocean’s Winnie Pooh of Rank Silver Knight has recaptured the Stonemist Castle in Eternal Battlefields

and an hour lated you may get eventually informed by this then …

Council of the Viridian’s Pale Rider of Rank Mithril Raider has captured Stonemist Castle in Eternal Battlefields

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in WvW

Orpheal.8263

Then, when we have Faction Wars, Anet then could spice the factions also up with LORE, with so called “War Campaigns” that when you participate in them (could work similar like Tournaments with added story segments)
Within these War Campaigns would be special Reward Tracks accessible, that tell players also stories over their Factions and unlock based on the success of your Faction within a given time “Faction Reputation Points”, that you can spent as player to unlock slowly more and more of the story and lore behind your Faction as also other kinds of faction based rewards, like Faction Weapon Sets, Faction Armor Sets, Faction based Miniatures, Guild Decorations and so on …

So more Faction Points a player collects, so higher does that player rise in the Faction Rank and Faction NPCs respont different to you based on how high your reputation on a specific Faction is.

Each faction also has their very own “Faction Heroes”, that may eventually spawn every now and then on the maps to help their sides in the battle, similar like in Stronghold PvP and when someone has high enough Faction Reputation, you may eventually also unlock those WvW faction Heroes for later Stronghold Battles

This is how you bring game content together!! By linking rewards, giving people something therefore that they play multiple different Game Modes by cross linking the rewards for the modes more, only this way you will create interest in people to try also other gameplay modes, by lurign them with interesting rewards for the liked modes, which they can only get, if they play also other Game Modes every now and then.

WvW is already halfway PvE, so why not also add more of PvE gamepaly to it in form of giving WvW also interestign story and lore?? Why let this great mode degenerate into a single huge boring pointless mass brawl between 3 sides, without any sense behind all of this, other then seeing always at the only on,y, which side got the most “points” out of a match ….

WvW lacks DEPTH, depth, that it could get by receiving its own thrilling and entertaining own story and lore that you could follow as a player through the three Factions out of 3 different interesting perspectives of view …

Simply spoken, do more for this game mode, make it more interesting and don’t lett it degenerate into a boring mass brawl with no context that it is since 2012.
The Game Mode has more potential to be more than THIS!

Work on a third unique WvW Map that will replace one of the alpine maps please!!
This Game mode SCREAMS for it to have 3 unique different borderlands since day one!!
And please rework and redesign the alpine borderland, make it a bit bigger and more interestign with heights and depths. Implement good working thigns and mechanics from the desert into the alpine map, while reducing a bit the size of the desert map, because compared to alpine, this one is too big.

Add as 3rd map for example either a deep jungle based borderland or a sea island borderland with naval battles and returning rebalanced and refined underwater combat and own unique underwater traitlines for each class (maybe as part for the expansion thats turning all around the deep sea dragon – because – you all know as well as us, that you can’t run away permanently from reworking your underwater stuff … its a shadow of your past, that will definetely catch you in again, somewhen sooner or later, so face it finally for the sake of this game!)

in WvW

Orpheal.8263

And lastly.. once you have turned WvW into faction Wars successfully, please do for the sake of WvW again a WvW CDI to collect our ideas on how to improve in general “WvW Character Progression”, because this is also a WvW topic that has been abysmally ignored for years in WvW since the end of GW2’s first year basically, then suddenly WvW progression improvements massively stopped mostly since today, when there lies still so much potential in the game to make this game mode more interesting ,rewardign and compelling for the player..

And with WvW Character Progression I mean more, than this dead boring and uncreative huge WvW Rank system with 10000 ranks that mostly no one ever will reach, unless you are a super high active WvW nerd that plays nothing else all day long, than WvW.

I mean with this especially improveable things, like WvW Rank Skill Improvements, so that you can learn more over time, than stuff for roughly only 1315 ranks or so and ending up then with hundreds of hundreds of useless WvW ranks that you can spend for nothing…
I also speak of more class specific WvW ROLES with that you can specialize your characters better for various game mode related tasks, because each class has for Wvw various strenths and weakness, thigns which in class X is good and bad at and thats somethign for WvW character progression where I think Anet needs to take a better look at, how this can be improved for the game and the proposed Faction Wars, givign the game mode class specific roles, like you can specialized for example your Thief into an “Marodeur” for WvW or into a “Spy” or into an “Infiltrator” and so on, with that you could gain role specific Faction War Skills on the various maps that could be also from map to map different maybe, if thats not too much.

brief said, get into another CDi the creative brains of this game together, that have good visions for GW2, how this game mode can be positively enhanced, because we don’t have received in the last 4 years any good impression from you anet, that you have some kind of vision for this game mode, where you want to go with it and how you see, how it can be improved..thats how I do see that and if thats the case, that you literally run out of ideas and have no vision for WvW anymore, then let us help you out!

Shake this game mode up, it can become so much more, than just an always repeating 3 side battle for nothign but just points and some lousy server bonus effects that barely anyone ever notices!!

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Players who solo capture stuff should have their character names (or at least their guilds) be displayed. >.> (Or, I guess for the enemy’s side “Objective Captured! [Server/WvW Rank Title] has captured [objective name].”) Put the “guild” back in Guild Wars 2.

Anywho, I guess I’m on board for options 1 or 3.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

(edited by Kovu.7560)

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Soooooo are you just saying kitten the identities of the linked servers or might this still happen?

Now that players have the option to turn on simple nameplates there is no reason you can’t add the server abbreviations to the regular nameplates.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Iozeph.5617

Iozeph.5617

I don’t want server mergers. Our guild has been on Devona’s Rest from the beginning and we’re happy there.

We go out, we have fun in WvW, and spend quite a bit building and crafting superior engines and taking objectives to help our teammates. You wouldn’t know that though. Many of the smaller community groups just keep their heads down and their mouths shut thanks to the environment your WvW has created for us.

What’s insulting is hearing host servers run on about server pride -when many of them are just a conglomerate of server hoppers(many aren’t, of course ). You mention you’re from DR, or another ‘insignificant’ server community, and you’re dumped on in map chat. You’re told to just shut up or that you don’t do anything or that you should just be merged into their communities.

Let me tell you on that score it’s been hit and miss. I’ll fight for them, I’ll help them and do my best but I don;t want to be part of their communities. Some of the ‘host’ servers are kinder, yes, but some are absolute nightmares to where you don’t want to log in or lift a finger to help them.

What makes it worse is that by the time you actually begin to want to help or that you’re making acquaintances/allies you get grouped again with a differing host server. That has to end.

We don’t want to leave DR. We won’t unless you take it from us. Why should players from ours and similar realms be made to feel as though we’re poorer relations and orphans to boot? It felt better in the days when we were consistently stuck at the bottom of the heap but with teammates and opponents we knew, cared about, and cared about hating. The action wasn’t as consistent, but it was what it was. It was comfortable at least- a rhythm to the battlefield.

Do a better job of grouping servers again. Be consistent, please? Make a separate league for the over populated servers, and then one for the rest of us. Those overpopulated realms are the exceptions that actually prove the rule. At least to me.

Suggestions for borderlands

-Give us new colour designations in w v w; Red, Green, and Blue text over our heads respective of what team/position we’re on that match/week. Name the server we’re actually from(Believe it or not we’re actually proud to be from DR and not to have server hopped.) Just make certain your red, green, and blue are distinctive enough for the colour blind.

Revamp the three sides again

-Give us a third borderland, tropical coast- part jungle part beach with bits of flotsam and ship wreck lying about- as though it’s just outside of Lion’s arch.

-Name the borderlands not for the teams but for regions of the world where the veil is thin.

a)Tropical coast,- ‘Bloodtide Archipelago.’ Architecture/obj a combination of salvaged ships and stone gathered from the rubble of old lion’s arch. Rickety wood to begin with. Then stone and metal trimmings when fortified. Lowlands in EB.

b)Alpine – ‘Shiverpeaks Steppes.’ Towers keeps built of ice and snow inspired by the of kodan and the norn who follow Jormag. Bricks of ice to begin and then thicker, darker ice topped with a heavy coating of snow and hoar when fortified. Overlook in EB.

c)Desert – ‘Maguuma Wastes.’ Sandstone fortresses shading into jungle stone buildings/towers. Much as it is now. Valley in EB.

c)Eternal Battlegrounds – ‘Stonemist Battleground.’ Have the entrance keeps for each borderland reflect their biomes/architecture respectively and then as you drive toward Stonemist castle they each bleed into the temperate biome/traditional Ascalonian/Krytan architecture at the heart of the battleground.

In the end we should keep our identity, and the battlegrounds should keep a connection to the lands without- wherever they’re tied to where the veil is thin.

Thanks.

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

oh my goodness… well here is my half cent worth… cause that’s all it’s worth… It’s all to little too late… Other than people posting in here I really doubt that many people care about name plates anymore. I could be wrong of course, but I for one who wanted some sort of ability to see who was on what server more easily simply don’t care anymore. I know who my BP peeps are and I run with them. The other folks, nice as they are, typically do their own thing and I have no idea if they are on DB or Kain, and like I said.. it really doesn’t matter.

Turn plates off and just give me red for the enemy for all I care now. No PPT, No score, just give me some SMALL fun battles with my peeps and all is now good.

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Gudradain.3892

Gudradain.3892

Just color for everything should be fine or give the color a name like you did in EotM.

I doubt player will really identify themselves to an alliance name that change every 2 months just like they don’t identify themselves to the host name. In that case, you might as well just go for what is simple and easy to remember for the players : color.

Afala – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: WarHawk.1892

WarHawk.1892

I’m not sure rolling servers into a color coordinated naming system would really “promote” server identity. I think it is rather the opposite as a “color/team identity” more broadly defined and interchanged between servers over time. Also, that being said as a player of 4yrs in WvW I’m not opposed to remaining the same, or this change – I just believe the folks complaining about it will continue to do so in a slightly altered way.

It is most often the Guilds that define the server rather than just the average playerbase. That is not to say the average player is not important – they very much are. But we all know or hear who is moving to, from, or resides on particular servers guildwise. We also all hear “Coverage is needed at X-timezone” for which a guild may transfer, be built over a length of time within the server, or one of those distinguished “non-wvw guild” players tag up and attempt to fill and help out. Weather or not those solo-tag players with no guild at their back are loved, or not, they’re important; otherwise your server activity would break down pretty quickly. There are a very limited number of people willing to be shouted at in chat by those otherwise less inclined to pick up the responsibility. No rally point simply means you’re probably not fighting zergs much, and unless you enjoy staring out of towers at a sea of red enemies a lot of folks leave the map.

Possible Solution for Two WvW Situations (Tournaments + Identity):

1. Tournaments are Returned

• These tournaments fall under the color coordination system rather than the server titled system we have currently

2. Scoring System Alteration from Previous Tournaments

• Scores are taken per tier at the end of each week and applied to a Color-wide Pool posting (Possibly here on the forums somewhere). Green3[1st]+2+2+1[3rd]=8 total score to green for the week applied to the duration of the tournament (2-3 month Pool)
  • This means there are 4 Green teams, 4 Red teams, and 4 Blue teams (Just like we already have) except during the tournament; in addition to your weekly matchup scores and resets your final score is pool’d together with the other servers of your color and tracked @ (Forums or In Game Window)

Why does/can this help?
1. It brings back tournaments in a new light.
2. It encourages comradery between multiple tiers for your color (Blue probably won’t win if it loses across 3 of the 4 tiers). It also gives the color meaning – something it really doesn’t just “earn” because we changed server names to team Blue/Red/Green.
3. It encourages Guilds to spread out among the servers and not pile into one tier in order to win the tournament (This in and of itself helps promote activity across timezones as they fill out lacking timezones to obtain warscores)
4. Similar Rewards to Prior tournaments could be reinstated on perhaps a monthly basis (3 payouts per tournament) to the individual player
5. A WvW Legendary Backpiece component could be implemented to the winning color and minor components or portions of it to the 2nd/3rd place colors across all servers.

And as a Final Note relating to #3 above it may be wise to offer 1/2-off Transfers to same team servers throughout the tournament or simply on a specific day each week pre- or post-matches(Thursday/Saturday). This would allow the movement between servers to go more smoothly and still provide enough incentive for a guild/player(s) to not simply transfer every single week as if it was a free transfer to team colored server tiers. Unless they’re filthy rich, in which case you make more money to give us more content

Commander Pintsize
YouTube
No Fear is Folly; Persevering over Fear is Couragous

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

I’m over on waiting on the west coast team to figure this out when there are stacks of solid suggestions being ignored in favor of some minority groups opinion. When all else fails start doing research to find who the movers and shakers are in the corporate structure and take your questions and grief to their tweeter accounts. Reddit is nothing when you really want to get something done. And there is more than one avenue to make things happen. Perhaps it will give them something to read while they have an inhouse massage at NCSofts research and development center…Questions are after all perfectly reasonable., and no one said we had to waste years on waiting for an answer.

(edited by Kamara.4187)

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Questions:
1. Which proposal is your favorite?
2. What, if anything, would you change about any of the current proposals?
3. Is there another proposal you think is better?

1. Number 3; Frankly the other ones are completely unacceptable.
2. calling ourselves by colour and a name that others would eventually have for their own is NOT okay. Edge of the mists stays in edge of the mists. Wvsw is not to be treated like a drop in and play affair with random people, its a family. Families live together in subunits all within respective countries. Don’t mess that up. Server pride is important. Its the only thing we got. Its what has allowed many to function amongst the winning/losing being meaningless cause of ur dumb glicko…..kill ur concept of glicko for good alrdy.

3. Mercenaries. Make the guest bl mercenaries. We can just be known by that name, its all we need. That way all bl will have mercenaries and not 2-5 distinct server names (having 5 sets of server names would be rly rly dumb). Mercenaries can streamline the third proposal changes, and allow special proper tags when viewed by enemies (ex: Mercenary Sea of Sorrows Gold Knight…for some1 from ebay). You alredy allow stupidly long titles/names in our nameplates so this isn’t asking much. You can streamline it even: Merc ______ Gold knight. Or lose the wvsw rank titles completely….they dont do much. Merc Sea of Sorrows and Sea of Sorrows players all under 1 banner against ur team. Its just as important that the enemy knows who did what. Heck I’d argue its more important the enemy know than our own team know.

Half the servers are host servers, the other half get to be mercenaries, everyone gets to have an identity. Kittens, if you had to choose between a host/kingdom or a mercenary group….which would you choose? Its not so black and white anymore. Presently the system asks you to chooose between: Real server or shamed renounced-name server that leeches onto anything in a desperate bid to stay alive another month….. Now that is very black and white.

My idea is the best to choose. It takes what you said in proposal 3, streamlines it, and still allows you to claim its ur own amazing idea. If proposal 3 is the most popular chosen in this thread, you should add the changes I proposed and do it.

My ideas are superior. The kittens need whiskers, so lets get them some whiskers.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Kamara.4187

I have a screen shot of arenanet staff taking a wvw camp. Anyone care to answer what’s up with that?

Attachments:

(edited by Kamara.4187)

in WvW

Posted by: Twinny.9304

Twinny.9304

I really think the idea people have been mentioning about using each servers (and linked worlds) abbreviated tags, example: [GH+RoF+UW]. Nobody feels left out like this so they can maintain what little is left of server pride they can.

In addition to this a lot of people me included say that server pride/identities started to die out on the introduction of mega server, and i think thats partly down to losing the days that we were able to go to LA (or any other busy city), and call for help/recruit/or even encourage WvW activity through PvE/PvX players. People dont bother these days because if they were to try this in LA these days a lot will be from other servers. I know the system will try and place you in a copy of a map with players from same party, guild, language, and home world etc, but with so many guilds recruiting these days across whole region being categorised due to your home world would probably be far down on the list i can imagine. I think to bring back the feel of a server community and server pride where we can still recruit into WvW guilds, we can still call for help, we can still encourage WvW activity from the rest of the server who primarily play other game modes, you could introduce a server/world chat like:
/Far Shiverpeaks. At least we can still keep our community going in game even build on it and improve it, bring more into WvW etc. Just a slightly off topic idea thats all.

Twinny Todd – Guardian – FSP [PunK]
Big Bad Bunny – Necro – FSP [PunK]

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I have a screen shot of arenanet staff taking a wvw camp. Anyone care to answer what’s up with that?

Maybe they where feeling blue.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I thought BG was green….

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

In addition to this a lot of people me included say that server pride/identities started to die out on the introduction of mega server, and i think thats partly down to losing the days that we were able to go to LA (or any other busy city), and call for help/recruit/or even encourage WvW activity through PvE/PvX players. People dont bother these days because if they were to try this in LA these days a lot will be from other servers.

I expect MO to give an interview when he finally retires (he’s probably a nice guy and I don’t wish/expect this to be anytime Soon™) and admit that WvW was a thorn in his side from the get-go.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Shara.4716

Shara.4716

Honestly allot of servers still run together. And seeing the host server always pop up when an object is captured can be annoying. It might help the smaller servers continue to enjoy playing if You just had a colored banner with that servers name on it pop up on a captured object. The guild name pops up when its claimed anyhow. Another good fix would be to shorten the timer for claiming, or get rid of it on camps all together. The larger guilds like to keep claim on the Keeps, so we end up standing around longer waiting to claim by smaller guilds for the extra supply.

in WvW

Posted by: Supernatural Dawn.3194

Supernatural Dawn.3194

Just merge the servers. Its more than just a name recognition. We work hard and our score means nothing. The refuge/mercenary server is re-paired and loses all work it had. This isn’t pvp, sometimes war isn’t balanced. Give ways for smaller servers to compete with sheer numbers on others. Increase strategy.

I don’t like any of these solutions. The host server holds the major bulk of the population while the linked server only holds a small amount. With all of these solutions you take AWAY the identity of servers. not fix them..

It seems to me that this is on topic and states a valid opinion. While it’s unfortunate you don’t like any of the suggestions, it would be really helpful to know if you can suggest an alternative that you would find more desirable.

in WvW

Posted by: framed.3081

framed.3081

You can’t fix server issues with name changes. The changes over the past few years have removed many positive aspects of servers in WvW. If you want to restore server pride and identity, you need to restore the positive value of servers. Lets look at some of the main functions of servers in WvW that have taken beatings:

1a) A recruitment funnel in PVE – People could advertise in PVE and actually bring people to a map, server, or guild that needed people. That lead to people discovering WvW, joining guilds, prompting guilds to do training events and other community building activities. Megaserver eliminated that. No recruitment funnel from PVE, no training events, no community building. Dead time zones are permanently dead, with no way of fixing them short of paying guilds to server transfer. You could fix this by providing that mechanism again, perhaps by a /server chat channel. People can filter it if they feel like its spam. Personally if I’m in PVE and something critical is going down in WVW, I want to know about it.

1b) A recruitment funnel in WVW – For players who are new WvW, their first real introduction to servers is at re-pairing time when they land in one alliance while the rest of their guild is on another. They are then offered the unattractive option to pay anet to correct this injustice by way of a server transfer fee. You could fix this by eliminating server transfer fees, or by eliminating server pairing. You have ways of locking full worlds, so transfer fees aren’t necessary for that. If you need to avoid mid-match transferring, you could limit it or schedule it to occur at match reset. Yes that would complicated re balancing, but not impossibly so.

2) A common long term goal – Servers used to have a sense of working towards the next tier, and improving their teamwork, etc. Now with dynamic server pairing, this is pointless. Any progress made towards improving your server will be wiped out by the server pairing to foster competitiveness The fall of DB was an example of this. The server worked its butt off to compete in T1, and it was rewarded by having its pair removed. Many saw that this ruined its competitiveness, and moved to servers where they could play fun matches again. Community destroyed, sense of purpose gone. The current problems with Glicko are just another manifestation, Glicko is meaningless because any progress made is wiped out at the re pairing. You could fix this by moving from dynamic pairing to merges. What about balancing the servers? There are other options beyond pairing. You could for example remove transfer fees and allow guilds to organize themselves up to some specified server size caps. Those caps could even be different for different tiers, allowing guilds to pick the level of crowdedness they like.

3) A common short term goal – Working to win a match used to be something most players cared about. Now we have a scoring system where there is often no difference between you playing at the top of your game, and you logging out. Frequently, you cannot affect the weekly score at all, no matter what. If you aren’t on the cusp of flipping skirmish rank, your contribution counts for nothing. This encourages the “screw the score, just pvp for fun, bags, and dailies” mentality. Maybe that’s all some people want, but that tends not to be what drives the people who keep the maps alive. You could fix this by adjusting the scoring to make all contributions count in the final score. Note: This is made worse by DBL, since the different teams aren’t even playing the same game anymore. Who cares if the scores are close when one team is playing football and the other soccer. I will not challenge democracy’s wisdom to keep DBL, but it should be made more similar in competitiveness to ABL. Analyze the time it takes to go from spawn to an uncontested cap of each tower to get a baseline. Look at the percentage of a squad that ports when a tag moves from EBG to ABL, compared to what percentage ports from EBG to DBL. It would give you more insight into what it takes for the maps to be equally competitive.

4) A way for people to organize voice chat – Unfortunately voice chat suffers from trolls, so some authentication is needed. The overhead used to be reasonable with a static server, but now entire populations need to be managed every month or so. This is tedious for admins and confusing for users. The result is dramatically less use of voice chat. This hurts community building as well as just coordination of game play. You could fix this by integrating voice chat into GW2, or going back to static servers. Some admins have moved to an API key solution, but this just switches the trust and effort problem to the users.

I’m glad to see anet looking at this problem, I hope something here resonates. To me the key take away is that server identity isn’t about the name, its about what the server does and the community it fosters.

in WvW

Kamara.4187

I’ve arrived at the point to where I believe all this has been an intentional shake up to an unaware gaming community for the study and development of an algorithm. It happens but its more common with free to play games. Was that the reason behind the free to play move?

in WvW

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

I come to the wvw forums for interesting discussion and I’ll see are pipe dream reworks or stuff for gw3 rofl. Nobody has a clear idea what wvw needs.

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I come to the wvw forums for interesting discussion and I’ll see are pipe dream reworks or stuff for gw3 rofl. Nobody has a clear idea what wvw needs.

Plenty of people know what WvW needs, an alliance system similar to the battlegroup proposal that anet themselves developed and told selected partners about.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Diku.2546

I have a clear vision that preserves server identities, encourages a healthy competitive game mode & it uses existing game mechanics within WvW to accomplish it. See my below signature for details.

Yours truly,
Diku

For a Better Long Term Solution to WvW – Try a Google Search for – wvg world vs globes

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

There’s a disturbingly easy solution to this problem. It’s not listed as one of the three options, so I’ll suggest it. Using the linkings on Mos for my examples.

“Mag/ET has captured _
“SBI/GoM has captured _
“HoD/IoJ/FC has captured ______”

The abbreviated names, with a slash in between them. Simple, effective, and it preserves all servers’ identities. This is how it should have been handled when linking first came in. It’s NOT something that requires a year and this much thinking and overthinking. Nor should it require pages of debates. Remember K.I.S.S. Use the full names on the WVW UI window. Use the abbreviations above the characters’ heads, and in the pop up messages.

Then spend your time and energy on improving the game itself.

in WvW

Posted by: eozturk.7205

eozturk.7205

Wouldn’t be better if whole WvW divided into 3 factions instead of servers which named of corresponding pve order (order of whispers, vigil, durmand priory) and allow everyone that 1 time only free order change. Ladder ranking system(guild or personal) based on contribution to your order.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Wouldn’t be better if whole WvW divided into 3 factions instead of servers which named of corresponding pve order (order of whispers, vigil, durmand priory) and allow everyone that 1 time only free order change. Ladder ranking system(guild or personal) based on contribution to your order.

Yes it would have been better. My feeling is that early in development this is probably what they planned to do but then scrapped it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I have a clear vision that preserves server identities, encourages a healthy competitive game mode & it uses existing game mechanics within WvW to accomplish it. See my below signature for details.

You have a pipe dream.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Diku.2546

You have a pipe dream.

World Guesting is already here & is a mechanic being used today in GW2.

ANet just needs to re-purpose it for WvW needs.

It’s not a pipe dream, but it’s definitely a dream…but totally possible…imho

There is a clear vision & solution available to create a better future for WvW.

Yours truly,
Diku

For a Better Long Term Solution to WvW – Try a Google Search for – wvg world vs globes

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

The Order of Whispers is a secretive ancient Elonian order. They work behind the scenes to safeguard the world against the rise of the Elder Dragons and free and restore the troubled Elona. Its members, often spies, thieves and agents, operate within every Tyrian nation sometimes to the highest levels. Their extensive network is able to gather information from everywhere, even areas blocked to travel, such as Elona which has long since been isolated under Palawa Joko’s rule.

please reopen BG

The Durmand Priory is a scholarly order dedicated to protecting knowledge and lore. Named after the monastery which houses their archives, and in turn after the monastery’s founder Durmand, members of the Durmand Priory offer their services as advisers, tutors and chroniclers. Led by the asura, Gixx, they are cautiously willing to share their gathered knowledge.

siege mounting YB

The Vigil is a military order dedicated to fighting the Elder Dragons and their minions by force of arms. They believe that the only way to defeat the Elder Dragons is to unite the races of Tyria and to face the minions of the Elder Dragons wherever they appear. The Vigil wants to face the Elder Dragons directly, testing Zhaitan’s power in the hope that such methods can one day be used against the dragon itself. They believe that the Elder Dragons grow more powerful as each day passes, and that those who do not fight now are giving the world away by standing passively aside. They intend to be an army of light against the onslaught of darkness.

reason of losing when fighting head on is just slacking off JQ

I love Anet

Attachments:

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

No.

No.

No.

No.

I like my server.

I want my server.

I need my server.

End of story.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Solution 1 ftw!

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in WvW

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

I recently started playing a little again, and noticed quite a few problems (some ancient, some new). But server names isn’t exactly something I’d call a priority... Invest your development time into real problems or content.

Edit: To be clear, I actually prefer the current naming system to the three proposed alternatives. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. In this case, "fixing" the names may only lead to undesired side effects, such as a further loss of server/team identity.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

(edited by Raap.9065)

in WvW

Posted by: Peppel.9736

Peppel.9736

But server names isn’t exactly something I’d call a priority…

Sure, for you … because you are on a host server. We, the peeps from a gast server, miss our server, we lost to much since the linkings.

We are fighting in the name form the host server, not for us/our name. An alliance consists of several servers not just one. We have become mercenaries … which are sent every 2 months to a host server. WE have lost our server .. our home in WvW.

For the most from us, has it a high priority … to get our identitary back, sry.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Slow-death-of-the-forgotten-Guest-server/first#post6299696

Tinka – Whiteside Ridge WSR - It’s a game, have fun and be kind to others
Slow-death-of-the-forgotten-Guest-server

(edited by Peppel.9736)

in WvW

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

But server names isn’t exactly something I’d call a priority...

Sure, for you ... because you are on a host server. We, the peeps from a gast server, miss our server, we lost to much since the linkings.

We are fighting in the name form the host server, not for us/our name. An alliance consists of several servers not just one. We have become mercenaries ... which are sent every 2 months to a host server. WE have lost our server .. *our home in WvW*.

*For the most from us, has it a high priority ... to get our identitary back, sry.*

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Slow-death-of-the-forgotten-Guest-server/first#post6299696

Then change the names from:

[host server]
[other servers listed below on mouse over]

To:

[host server + linked server + linked server + ...]

Lower the font size slightly and/or cut the names short, or abbreviate them where it makes sense. Names consisting of 6 or less characters can be written in full. So you would get:

Deso and Vabbi have captured XXX.

This is something more people already mentioned, but shouldn’t take any significant development time.

A final alternative? Leave it up to the community to name their clusters, and officially merge those servers based on polling the playerbase of those servers. Taking Desolation and Vabbi as an example again, according to chat and some forums (I’ve not played in a long while so I’m only just checking back in on things), the name "Vabbilation" seems like a popular reference to this particular alliance of servers, which has apparently persisted for a while now.

Naturally not all server links have such an option, which probably makes this alternative not a viable solution.

I still think there are bigger issues to solve, though.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: Balkarrie Legacy.9175

Balkarrie Legacy.9175

Stop linking completely !