Issues granting Season reward chests

in WvW

Posted by: Chris Barrett

Chris Barrett

Gameplay Programmer

Next

TL;DR: If you are now in a different territory (NA versus EU) from when you first played during Season 1, your Season rewards won’t be granted until we can solve a technical issue. There’s also a different small chance you won’t get the Season reward later in a WvW match. That chance is near-zero shortly after a new match starts up. You will eventually get the Season rewards.

In-depth details follow.

Season reward chests are granted via a hidden achievement, which differs for each place within a League. Whether your world placed first in Gold or Bronze League, you’ll be given the same achievement. The Dolyak finishers are delivered by the in-game mail system if your world placed first in its League. The mail differs for each League.

The game use two pieces of information to know which achievement/mail you should receive. One is historical WvW data so it knows how your world placed in the Season. The other is which world you’re associated with for the Season. This association was made the first time you entered the world during Season 1.

Issue 1: Worlds in the NA and EU territories don’t know about each other’s historical WvW data. So if you’re in a different territory from the one you were associated with for Season 1, the game doesn’t know how your world placed and can’t reward you. Yet. Once this issue is fixed, the Season reward will be granted. We know who should get the rewards, and who has not yet received them.

Issue 2: There’s a bug that sometimes prevents certain games from knowing any historical WvW data—even for their own territory. This can prevent the game from giving Season rewards. This also affected the Dawn of the Seasons achievement’s behavior. Until this is tracked down and fixed, there seems to be a smaller chance to be given the Season rewards later in the week of a WvW match. Chances are extremely good shortly after a new match has started that you’ll be given the rewards.

Thank you for your patience while we solve these issues. While there are quicker ways to get rewards out to people who are missing them, it’s best we take the time to fix the underlying issues and allow the corrected code to issue the rewards in due time. Neither player nor developer wants the same issue to potentially happen a second time. Or for rushed work to cause different issues in the future.

in WvW

Posted by: Chi.2943

Chi.2943

Lol, wish it wasn’t so true…but it is. ;(

Nubbie [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

thank you for this thread

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: AshinDreidon.3861

AshinDreidon.3861

Thank you for the response on the issue!

shadow, magus, hunter (progress: ritualist, paragon)
soloQing my way through leagues…

in WvW

Posted by: Trypeon.6281

Trypeon.6281

Hello,

Some players on us team are on NA/ JQ before starting Season = no chest
Some players are on EU before starting season and go on NA = JQ chest
Some others players are on EU before starting season and go on NA = no chest

……

Best regards

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I got a chest but mine was filled with crap? Or was is suppose to be this way..

in WvW

Posted by: Estarioll.5781

Estarioll.5781

I got a chest but mine was filled with crap? Or was is suppose to be this way..

Working as intended ^^

Tipsy Dipsy, plank scrubber of The Bloody Pirates [YARR]
~Gandara~

in WvW

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

People on our server didn’t get a silver Dolyak finisher, even though it clearly states ‘second place’ in the tooltip. If the tooltip is bugged rather than the reward, this is a major letdown…

EDIT: just read that they’re limited finishers. Guess I won’t miss them then. Don’t like limited stuff, I end up saving them for special occasions that never come up.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

(edited by ThiBash.5634)

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

People on our server didn’t get a silver Dolyak finisher, even though it clearly states ‘second place’ in the tooltip. If the tooltip is bugged rather than the reward, this is a major letdown…

EDIT: just read that they’re limited finishers. Guess I won’t miss them then. Don’t like limited stuff, I end up saving them for special occasions that never come up.

first place of gold, first or silver and first of bronze gets the finishers. Ranking them first, second and third place.

in WvW

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

Should these ppl even get the reward? They left their home server mid-league leaving the results up to other people and unbalanced matchups in that different territory’s servers they transferred to. I almost think its fair for those people to not get the reward at all since they have not really contributed to WvW.

Now for people that have been on their server the whole time and are bugged out, I feel for you guys.

in WvW

Posted by: sama.4168

sama.4168

thanks to find an answer as fast as possible

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Don’t worry guys/gals those of you whom haven’t received your chest are not missing anything, yip they really are that disappointing.

in WvW

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

What about the issue where my chest had poop loot in it?

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in WvW

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

There’s an easy solution to this issue for those that didn’t get their chest. Run the champ train in Frostgorge for 30mins and you’ll have better rewards than what was in the chest.

in WvW

Posted by: Arkouda.9526

Arkouda.9526

Ok, so I logged in briefly on Friday morning and saw that I rec’d the achievement chest, but did not open it. I log in today (first time since Friday) and the achievement chest is gone, but the key still remains.

I have not moved servers , so it is not issue 1 – did anyone else have their chest disappear? And is this something that is being looked into as well?

in WvW

Posted by: Elder III.3158

Elder III.3158

I have played on Jade Quarry ever since the first day of the very first beta and have never transferred anywhere. I finished the WvW Season 1 meta Achievement several weeks ago and have had the key ever since. I had some issues preventing me from playing for awhile (real life stuff) and when I logged in tonight I did not have any popup chest or anything in spite of my attempts on different characters, logging out and back in, changing graphics settings etc. I can double click the key and i hear an “opening” sound like I hear when a Daily Achievement chest or similar pops up, but nothing ever appears on my screen for me to open.

I was going to create my own support thread, but I saw this one and thought it might be easier/better to just add my problem here. Is it a logical presumption that I am one of the small percentile that isn’t getting the chest in spite of never having transferred servers ever?

*For what it’s worth, I cannot remember if I had any issue with the Dawn of the Season achievement or not….

(edited by Elder III.3158)

in WvW

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

I appreciate you Chris for sincerely sharing this with us.

Thank You!

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

in WvW

Posted by: superrobotwars.6923

superrobotwars.6923

I have my season 1 key but no season 1 chest

in WvW

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

So i have Key but no chest and never transfered during the season. Never Left NA when i did transfer back when it was free.

if i read this all correct i am to just wait and hope that the chest appears on friday when it resets again?

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in WvW

Posted by: C Gunner.9406

C Gunner.9406

Noticed the update about fixing the bug of not giving wvw season 1 chests out, still havn’t got mine.

in WvW

Posted by: Leggend.7219

Leggend.7219

I’ve started the season on Seafarer rest and i’ve got the key…I’m still on sfr but still not chest

in WvW

Posted by: Alejandro.3285

Alejandro.3285

Hi guys, so is it to say that now that Season 1 is over, I can’t get the achievement points anymore for the WvW Season 1?

in WvW

Posted by: ebola.9824

ebola.9824

I’ve started the season on Seafarer rest and i’ve got the key…I’m still on sfr but still not chest

yup same happening to me

in WvW

Elder III.3158

I just checked after the latest update where the patch notes said the issue had been fixed. I still do not have any chest showing up to use my key on.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaos Loire.7951

Chaos Loire.7951

Same here, i’ve been on henge of denravi server ever since i started playing and im still getting no chest even though in the recent patch notes it states “Fixed an error that prevented some players from receiving their WvW Season 1 reward chests.” I dont even mind if i get crap loot i just want to have the hamster that runs my toaster rewarded for going through all that zerg lag it went through :P

in WvW

Posted by: CattivoUomo.7198

CattivoUomo.7198

So am I correct that only 1st place in each league gets a special finisher even though the 1st place of silver and 1st place of bronze actually finished behind the 2nd and/or 3rd place gold teams? That’s a messed up reward system. How does being 3rd/4th or 6th overall warrant getting a reward over what the 2nd place gold team gets?

As this thread clearly refers to, it is known that server transfers occurred during the season, even between EU and NA, so I think it’s safe to say the current rewards are simply unfair to all those who participated, to include the 1st placers, who in my opinion, can’t honestly claim their world was solely responsible for their victories.

Simplify the issue and just give all participants the same reward for this season and plan it better for next season if there is one.

in WvW

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

So am I correct that only 1st place in each league gets a special finisher even though the 1st place of silver and 1st place of bronze actually finished behind the 2nd and/or 3rd place gold teams? That’s a messed up reward system. How does being 3rd/4th or 6th overall warrant getting a reward over what the 2nd place gold team gets?

by this logic, we should give rewards to NA #1 only, and nobody else. in particular, no EU server should get rewards because the #1 EU server has a lower rating than the #4 NA server. effectively the #1 EU server would be #5 in NA, and therefore undeserving of any reward.

you are missing the point of why we have leagues to begin with. a “league” forms a pool of opponents you compete against. opponents outside of that pool don’t count, because you don’t ever get to compete against them. the winner of the league gets a reward. what rewards other winners in other leagues got isn’t relevant — if you didn’t win in your league, you don’t get a prize.

if your server didn’t come in first in your league, you don’t get a finisher. it doesn’t matter that your server could have beaten the winner in another league — the #1 server in your league could have done it too, so if all the servers were put together into one big league, you still wouldn’t have come in first place, so you still wouldn’t get the finisher.

-ken

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Murchadh.4730

Merlin Murchadh.4730

I have not changed worlds and still waiting on my chest to use the key…. UGHHH finished the achievement sin the first few weeks of season 1. frustrating….

in WvW

Posted by: Varu.1063

Varu.1063

Have key, lack a chest to open. Never changed server, but was unable to play last week of S1 and until today. Not happy.

Exalted [CoAW]
SFR

in WvW

Posted by: The Angry Quilt.8054

The Angry Quilt.8054

I’ve been on Jade Quarry since well before the start of the season (and I’ve never been outside of the NA region), have my achievement chest key, but no reward chest. Like some others, I haven’t found the time to log in to the game for the past 2 weeks or so. Eagerly awaiting a resolution to the issue.

in WvW

Posted by: CattivoUomo.7198

CattivoUomo.7198

-ken

I see what you’re saying, and I think I would agree only if not for some key points.

Firstly the disparity between each world’s rating prior to the season was quite significant such that no matter how the worlds were broken out into leagues, it was fairly obvious how every world would finish even before the season started. So you’re right that a league of all servers facing each other still wouldn’t ensure a 2nd place team a reward. However, it also would mean that 1st place Silver/Bronze winners would also not win a reward. And that’s part of the point. More than likely, 2nd thru 6th would defeat 7th thru 24th in almost any combination of matchups, and yet aren’t given a reward simply because they were placed in an ‘unbalanced’ matchup not significantly in their favor as was the case for each of the 1st place winners. Simply seeing the end results should be evident enough of how unbalanced it was with all 1st place league winners for EU and NA being unbeaten for the entire 7 weeks, and I don’t think it could be claimed any one of them was really an upset, unpredictable 7 weeks prior, nor really very close in points overall.

Secondly, and more importantly, mid season server transfers allowed the waters to be muddied. Clearly the developers not only knew this could happen but even admit that it did happen, and yet still did nothing to prevent it. They locked rewards for players to their starting worlds, but didn’t lock out players from playing for other worlds? So was this really gold league vs. gold league, or was it just more tier 1 stomping tier 2 with the further insult of players from other worlds, not even native to that league, flocking to the winning servers for some easy WxP and further assurance the already top rated teams would win? How much griefing was done and not witnessed or reported as a result?

My point is, that while the leagues were created with the guise of matching up worlds with similarly equal ratings, there was an imbalance long before the first tick of the clock which only got worse with server transfers, and additionally proved nothing worthy of any reward for anyone, let alone a 7th or 16th rated team over the 2nd thru 6th rated teams. Hence, I would amend my recommendation to either give all that participated an equal reward for a system that was clearly unequal from the start, or don’t give anyone a reward for that very same reason. Call it a failed beta test, and go back to the drawing board.

To be honest, I would recommend any future seasons to have a registration period where players pick or join their preferred WvW guild; that guild then registers for the season, and at the end of the registration period, the registered players’ WvW stats and normal WvW times (all of which are probably already being logged), and any other data that could be pertinent to determining that guild’s WvW presence, are then assessed in such a way as to place the guilds as evenly and as competitively as possible across various teams such that any pre-existing alliances would have little to no effect on the outcome, as players wouldn’t have as much influence on which teams they end up being placed on. Obviously, once registration is over, guild/team swapping should be locked for the season. Then, all teams vie for the top positions as you might actually see in most other types of tournaments. That, I feel, would at least come much closer being a fair and balanced competition than what was done for season 1, and thus actually worthy of a reward.

Before anyone suggests that I’m ranting for not winning 1st, let me say that I’d rather finish in last place in every tournament knowing that every best effort was made to ensure a fair and balanced competition. Season 1…not even close to an ‘effort’ let alone ‘best’.

in WvW

Posted by: UncrushablePigeon.8760

UncrushablePigeon.8760

Yup don’t have it either.

in WvW

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

Am I the only who not only didn’t receive the chest yet, but had the Season 1 key disappear from my inventory?

I’d like to know if this happened to someone else, in the meantime I’ll open a ticket with the support (but I have a very bad feeling that they’ll not resolve my issue)…

in WvW

Posted by: Trypeon.6281

Trypeon.6281

I just checked after the latest update where the patch notes said the issue had been fixed. I still do not have any chest showing up to use my key on.

The same ….. it s very very …..

in WvW

Posted by: Rhpositivo.3917

Rhpositivo.3917

same situation here.. i have the key but no chest

in WvW

Posted by: RLHawk.3290

RLHawk.3290

I also have the key but not the chest.

For those who think they key disappeared, I’d just say to double/triple check. I thought mine was gone for a bit before I found it. Search your inventory/bank for “Season” to help find it, and remember that it’s probably on whatever character you were playing when you got it.

IGN: Elvendir (Elementalist)
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Phent.9350

Phent.9350

same here, have the key but no chest

[None] mesmer/ele/engi/thief/necro

in WvW

Posted by: arKRazor.8654

arKRazor.8654

Ok, so I logged in briefly on Friday morning and saw that I rec’d the achievement chest, but did not open it. I log in today (first time since Friday) and the achievement chest is gone, but the key still remains.

I have not moved servers , so it is not issue 1 – did anyone else have their chest disappear? And is this something that is being looked into as well?

Are you logging in with the same character you did when you got the chest popup?

Halfpint Sapper – Poorly-traited Asuran Engineer/CatHound/Part-time Warbanner

Devona’s Rest [OHai][GloB]

in WvW

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

I also have the key but not the chest.

For those who think they key disappeared, I’d just say to double/triple check. I thought mine was gone for a bit before I found it. Search your inventory/bank for “Season” to help find it, and remember that it’s probably on whatever character you were playing when you got it.

I already did that. Twice. On all my 8 toons, and with both banks (personal/guild). Nothing. The key just vanished. So I wonder if I’m really the only one or someone else “lost” the key after the Dec 10 patch.

in WvW

Posted by: Wraithand.7864

Wraithand.7864

I understand the need to get more information on the issue and make sure the fix work. However, this is not a beta anymore and this issue is not on a Test Server.

Quote: “While there are quicker ways to get rewards out to people who are missing them, it’s best we take the time to fix the underlying issues and allow the corrected code to issue the rewards in due time.” There is a quicker way to fix the paying customer issue, but you decided to use our accounts as testing accounts?

Yes it is a tempest in a teapot, but I wanted to share my point of view since I don’t believe it is the right way to take care of this issue. When everything else has been taken into consideration, we still pay to have access to the game not to help you test it.

in WvW

Snowreap.5174

I kind of suspect that what they meant was, “there are quicker ways to get rewards to individual people who report them as missing, but the fastest way to get rewards to everyone (whether they report the problem or not) is to fix the underlying code.”

-ken

in WvW

Posted by: Wrei Mors Les.8406

Wrei Mors Les.8406

I was under the impression that there would be a world boss type gigantic chest (like the MystWrought(?) chests from the borderland JPs) where I use my key.

Instead we are supposed to receive something like a Black lion chest to combine with the key? The Chest I have NOT received, thus making my key another undisplayable trophy scrap. Yet my guildies who transferred midseason from Bronze to a Gold league already got their chests.

If the gemstore items had such a failed delivery system, there would be blood.
But as it is I will have to accept a wait period while the techies sort things out…..and hope this never happens again.

in WvW

Posted by: O Nuxtofulakas.2936

O Nuxtofulakas.2936

same here…got the key but no chest…and yes i didn’t transfer or anything. Our server got 2nd place in silver league EU.

in WvW

Posted by: Twilafey.2045

Twilafey.2045

Thoroughly rattled by all this. I want my mini dolyak. Also the dumb, ugly key is taking up valuable space in my inventory. rar.

in WvW

Posted by: hmsgoddess.3869

hmsgoddess.3869

as of last night my guild (who moved to EU from NA servers) still has not received these chests. I think they need a patch for the patch.

~ Emma Vine Sixty Nine Shades Of [NUDE] – Crystal Desert

in WvW

Snowreap.5174

I think a big part of the confusion here is that one of the recent patch notes (from Wednesday, https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-December-10-2013/3350422) said that it included a fix for wvw reward chests.

so the people who still don’t have their chests are wondering “is that it? am I SOL then?” confirmation from Arenanet that they are aware that the existing patch didn’t fix 100% of the problem and that they’re still working on the rest of it would be helpful.

-ken

in WvW

Elder III.3158

I think a big part of the confusion here is that one of the recent patch notes (from Wednesday, https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-December-10-2013/3350422) said that it included a fix for wvw reward chests.

so the people who still don’t have their chests are wondering “is that it? am I SOL then?” confirmation from Arenanet that they are aware that the existing patch didn’t fix 100% of the problem and that they’re still working on the rest of it would be helpful.

-ken

I concur completely. As it is now I am going to wait for the WvW reset this evening and if logging in after that doesn’t give me my silly chest I’m going to come back here and complain vigorously. I also won’t be spending any of my Christmas money on Gems this year if they don’t fix this issue. (call it blackmail if you will, but it’s justified in this case)

in WvW

Posted by: Varu.1063

Varu.1063

Got my chest after reset, and the RNG gods smiled upon me.
Best part though is the free levels for an alt.

Exalted [CoAW]
SFR

in WvW

Elder III.3158

I just logged in after the reset and patch a few minutes ago and I had the chest waiting for me.

Based on what other people had reported, I was quite pleased with what I got out of it.

Mini Dolyak
6 Yellows
5 Greens
Taste of WvW XP
9 Tomes of Knowledge
5 Scrolls of Knowledge
100 Empyreal Fragments
100 Dragonite Ore
1 Purple Essence of Luck

*JQ – 2’nd Place NA Gold League

in WvW

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

Issue 3: despite outrage with the players, we decided that the servers that ended 7th or 15th in the season, receive a BETTER reward than servers that ended 3th, 4th, 5th or 6th. We will not fix this issue, because we think that servers that gamed the system by and dropped a league juuuuuust before the season should be rewarded for this unfair behaviour.

There, I added a third issue that you forgot in your original post!

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.