It is time for server merges...

in WvW

Posted by: daneo.9732

daneo.9732

unless your a competitive server in the top three tiers whats the point of WvWvW? Or please take down rankings and FORCE players from over populated servers to play on the under populated servers.

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

there is no reason wvw servers have to be tied to pve servers.

other than the fact that it is that way now.

but they would not have to merge pve servers to rework the wvw ones.

-Desirz Matheon

in WvW

Posted by: daneo.9732

daneo.9732

were do you see anything in my post about PvE? There is no such thing as a PvE server. There are servers that have numbers and there are servers that dont. The servers with no numbers are a product of Anets poor planning and poor server swapping management that they did not try to fix until the gap between the haves and the have nots was to large to fix. But really whats the point in having a ranking system that will never change (unless people become bored with the game and large numbers of people quit playing), and having multiple tiers of dead servers were WvWvW looks like Spvp battles.

in WvW

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Servers need to be reworked period. Lowbie areas are barren.

in WvW

Posted by: Arreyanne.2683

Arreyanne.2683

Most zones have been empty since Flavor of the Month Dungeon was introduced

But on top yes after T# or T4 its like 5 v1 or 10 v6 and thats the entire population of the Map

in WvW

Posted by: Mirage.2597

Mirage.2597

Top 3 I laugh , tier 3 is a joke , did not try 2, all the real fun is in tier 1 , don’t hold back, join in

in WvW

Posted by: Kinglette.4906

Kinglette.4906

They don’t need server merges, If your server is to quiet move. Free transfers are there for a reason.
Also you realize that even the top tiers have gaps. If i don’t want to play on reset i will not see a queue most of the week (this is in tier 2).

80 Guardian, 80 Warrior, 80 Thief
[AVTR] FA

in WvW

Posted by: Drede.4701

Drede.4701

you do know the points don’t matter right? what do you get for your server winning a week? nothin. so the low tier servers have the same thing the high tier servers have ppl who play WvW for the thrill of killing somethin not ran by AI and ppl who complain that its broke. Why can’t ppl enjoy the fights and quit whining about the completely useless scores?

The many different ways I can spell Regnilond xD
Guardians of the Creed [HATE]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Krosan.2890

Krosan.2890

WvW is fine in the lower tiers and we don’t have to wait an hour to get in…

in WvW

Posted by: salluks.6017

salluks.6017

no server has an long queue.. i am on deso and we had 2 bl’s empty in tier 2.

its better to tag wvw on the servers so people who only want to wvw can moved there.

in WvW

Posted by: Krosan.2890

Krosan.2890

Its not, communities from other servers enjoy fighting togheter and don’t want to join a server like desolation.

in WvW

Posted by: Snowstorm.3897

Snowstorm.3897

Piken Square (the unnofficial RP server for EU) actually doesn’t want to go any higher than we currently are. We don’t want the massive Q’s that happen at ‘higher levels’. We’re happy where we are, so no, servers shouldn’t start merging.

Sylas
Second Law [Scnd] – Guild leader
Currently: Axiom – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Genev.2450

Genev.2450

There are no massive queues in higher tiers.
As the only English T1 EU server, Blacktide has around 15-20 mins at most, the only time we do get longer queues is around reset afaik (though i’ve enver been in those, i’ve heard they’re usually longer than normal hours)

Those long queues people heard and complained about were from over a month ago.

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

were do you see anything in my post about PvE? There is no such thing as a PvE server.

you seem to have grossly misunderstood my post. after re-reading what i said i can see how i wasn’t very clear.

what i was saying was.. there are servers right now, for example – Maguuma..

Maguuma has two facets, the PVE maguuma and the WvW maguuma. There is no reason the people playing PVE in maguuma should be tied to those WvWing in Maguuma other than the fact that Anet set it up that way.

It does not have to be set up that way though.

They could create another server called, for the sake of example.. Daneo’s Crossing..

Daneo’s Crossing could then hold all of the people who PVE on Maguuma, Ferguson’s Crossing, and Stormbluff Isle.

So you see, i was supporting your idea while at the same time pointing out that there is a way to do it that doesn’t necessarily change what server anyone plays on for PVE.

Then all players would have a PVE server.. Maguuma, Blackgate, Yak’s Bend, etc..
and a WvW server.. Daneo’s Crossing and say.. 8 other servers.

Server mergers without effecting the PVE game and there would be no servers sitting at FULL because they happen to have more PVE people on them. They could then increase/decrease servers as the game changes without ever having to mess with the PVE servers they have going on now.

-Desirz Matheon

(edited by fivekiller.1432)

in WvW

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

I think they should have just dedicated WvW servers and PvE servers. This way the WvW can remain competetive without being highly populated by PvE folks that do nothing for WvW.

TBH I don’t see why we have to waste our time and money in WvW to gain buffs for the whole server when PvE people do noting for WvW people. Its pretty one sided and total BS.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

in WvW

Posted by: Nashaan.3160

Nashaan.3160

I think they should have just dedicated WvW servers and PvE servers. <snip>

And for the people that enjoy doing both? What would they do?

TBH I don’t see why we have to waste our time and money in WvW to gain buffs for the whole server when PvE people do noting for WvW people. Its pretty one sided and total BS.

You dont waste your time and money in WvW to gain buffs for the whole server. You spend your time and money in WvW because that’s what you enjoy doing instead of PvE. Server buffs are a side effect of WvW, nobody does it to get them

(edited by Nashaan.3160)

in WvW

Posted by: Hyung.6140

Hyung.6140

We’re in EU tier 8 and are having an incredibly fun even match with all three servers fighting strongly. Tier 9 is a bit more imbalanced but it seems like all the other scores aren’t blowouts so far. In other words, things mostly seem fine even at the bottom two tiers, so I’m not sure what prompted this post?

—-
Hyinna, Gunnars Hold
[Ub] – My Life for Alesia

in WvW

Posted by: LegoTechnic.5910

LegoTechnic.5910

Just to say it, but I am typically against any action that would “FORCE” a player to do anything in a game that they didn’t want to do other than the standard “perform X action for X reward” template.

in WvW

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

unless your a competitive server in the top three tiers whats the point of WvWvW?

I agree, WvW is only worth it if you’re near the top because if you win at tier 1 you get awesome rewards.

Wait, there’s no rewards for anyone winning, regardless of tier?

Oh.

in WvW

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

Our T5 server had queues after the reset. On top of that, T5 has been the most enjoyable, best WvW I’ve experienced. Sure there’s some negatives with the low overnight population on our server, or the often completely empty opposing borderlands, but nothing that actually seems to need any change.

in WvW

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

All they have to do is increase the Server Transfer to 30 days AND then sister servers w/ low WvW populations to T2 / T3 servers….for WvW maps only.

Simple, really. If you’re in a lower tier for WvW, when you zone into WvW you zone into your sister’s WvW map.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in WvW

Posted by: faustus.8493

faustus.8493

No! I like that there is almost never a queue for my server’s WvW. If your server is lacking in people, you need to compensate with tactics. I come from a relatively low population server, Furgeson’s Crossing, and I like it.

“Why yes, I am that kind of Mesmer.”
~Aric Landvick
~Level 80 Norn Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Schmoopies.5241

Schmoopies.5241

I think what really counts when it comes to merging servers is figuring the overall standard deviations for the server loads over time (regardless of PvE, sPvP, or WvW activity). This should be most telling regarding what servers are actually low enough in population that it interferes often enough with the social environments and dynamics necessary for successful group-event, dungeon, sPvP and WvW activities. Unless they begin selling items and boosts in Black Lion Trading that would somehow mitigate this “interference” (Instant Group in a Bottle!).

Suddenly, those silly Guild Wars NPC “pugs” are coming back to memory…

Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur.

Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Beefcake.9032

Beefcake.9032

unless your a competitive server in the top three tiers whats the point of WvWvW?

I agree, WvW is only worth it if you’re near the top because if you win at tier 1 you get awesome rewards.

Wait, there’s no rewards for anyone winning, regardless of tier?

Oh.

lold.

Two statements in this thread I agree with:
WvW for fun, not for PvE benefits (who really gives a cat about those anyway?)
Increasing server-transfers to 30 days seems like a good idea to me.

Wrainbash, Asura Warrior of Kodasch Allianz [KoA]
Du spielst auf Kodasch? Besuche doch mal die Kodasch Community Webseite! :)

in WvW

Posted by: Haltair.3062

Haltair.3062

No Q in tier2, at least in Baruch Bay.

Regards,

Haltair

Haltair, One of the Twelve Shadows
Baruch Bay´s Thieves Brotherhood, Order of Shadows
Orden de Sombras [OdS]

in WvW

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

They need to not only merge servers, but have two maps instead of four. Combine the three Borderlands maps into one single large map, so that you have it, and Eternal Battlegrounds.

Four maps allows for population issues to spiral out of control.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Nut.4713

Nut.4713

I don’t know if server merges are the answer. They need to attract more players into WvW and away from fractals, cursed shore and pointless legendary farming. WvW populations are laughable right now and a lot of it is because Anet hasn’t done anything with it.

Aeyden – Elementalist
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

unless your a competitive server in the top three tiers whats the point of WvWvW? Or please take down rankings and FORCE players from over populated servers to play on the under populated servers.

I would rather see better incentives for WvW as even if you server merge, people aren’t going to do WvW 24/7 unless there they can get something more tangible out of it.

Once you get your 500 badges, the only reason to WvW is for fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Killersquall.5730

Killersquall.5730

On weekends the servers are pretty crowded, merging would cause flooding.

in WvW

Posted by: Furey.6734

Furey.6734

I dont think server merges are necessary but an idea might be to get rid of server caps and just put on login caps with queues for the server. Don’t forget about all the people who quit the game and moved on to other things. Are these type of accounts contributing to maxing out the server capacity?

PS: I agree with Nut. PvE has been getting alot of more attention in terms of new content. WvW lost content (orbs). I hope that Anet comes out with something that will spice up the interest in WvW. Maybe a player ranking system/possible ways to get legendary/ascended items (could be different) from WvW could help.

Commander Cristyn
Masters of Combat [Duel]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Furey.6734)

in WvW

Posted by: Brutality.9631

Brutality.9631

middle tier servers are best.
no wvw queue times
ample pve players

not packed full of bad bandwagoners clinging to the zerg for dear life. Top servers are flavor of the week, kids get bored and jump cliff in lemming proportions.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Anet kinda lost the ball on server set ups.
There shouldn’t have been NA/EU servers, but they should have dedicated specific ones WvW oriented servers instead.

Most servers are full/High pop, even down in the low tiers anymore. Though the wvw community wants WvW competitively, and they aren’t really getting it.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Komolov.5903

Komolov.5903

No need to do all that. Just add more rewards for wvw and watch as people flock to it.

in WvW

Posted by: Quentin Fields.1295

Quentin Fields.1295

No need to do all that. Just add more rewards for wvw and watch as people flock to it.

I agree on that.You can see that fact from WvW queues.If you are losing your tier , your server often has shorter queues while you win it’s always full.

in WvW

Posted by: Roezz.5460

Roezz.5460

They need to figure out culling first and add ascended gear. After that, it’s no secret WvW is horribly flawed with population (participation) balance issues—it’s a daily issue in tier 2. Perhaps pair up EU and US servers for WvW only to help with around the clock coverage issues.

Edit: and for people who think there are queues, without insult I think you are out of touch. WvW participation is in steep decline. Queues still exist Friday nights for a bit, and perhaps in EB here and there during peak hours.

(edited by Roezz.5460)

in WvW

Syeria.4812

I dont think server merges are necessary but an idea might be to get rid of server caps and just put on login caps with queues for the server. Don’t forget about all the people who quit the game and moved on to other things. Are these type of accounts contributing to maxing out the server capacity?

PS: I agree with Nut. PvE has been getting alot of more attention in terms of new content. WvW lost content (orbs). I hope that Anet comes out with something that will spice up the interest in WvW. Maybe a player ranking system/possible ways to get legendary/ascended items (could be different) from WvW could help.

According to a dev post a while back, server populations are calculated against “current online” not “total accounts.” At least that’s how it works for server transfers.

in WvW

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

According to a dev post a while back, server populations are calculated against “current online” not “total accounts.” At least that’s how it works for server transfers.

According to this post https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first populations are calculated on accounts, not who is logged in, where is this dev post you speak of?

in WvW

Syeria.4812

According to this post https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first populations are calculated on accounts, not who is logged in, where is this dev post you speak of?

That post actually says “independently of where they created their accounts” but doesn’t actually make a comment about whether the cap is established by active or total accounts. I’ll try find the post. I’m fairly sure it was by a dev and not a community coordinator.

Edit to add: Apparently I’m not the only one who remembers this dev post. Link I’m having trouble finding posts older than a couple days right now, so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find it. Hopefully a dev will see that thread and set down the facts.

(edited by Syeria.4812)

in WvW

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

That post actually says “independently of where they created their accounts” but doesn’t actually make a comment about whether the cap is established by active or total accounts. I’ll try find the post. I’m fairly sure it was by a dev and not a community coordinator.

Edit to add: Apparently I’m not the only one who remembers this dev post. Link I’m having trouble finding posts older than a couple days right now, so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find it. Hopefully a dev will see that thread and set down the facts.

It still seems to be saying it is down to the number of accounts on the server to me, nor does the alternative seem to tally with what happens at 3 AM, when I used to play, Desolation EU was still “full” at 3 AM, despite having a tiny fraction of the number of people on there that were on at primetime.

Nor does it seem very logical, if it was based on how many were currently logged on, then (to take an extreme example just to show th epoint) if everyone logged off for a couple of hours and a zillion people then transfered to that server, you have just doubled the population, there is no way to control the population with that system.

But yes it would be good if they clarified it again this is not the only thread it has come up in.

in WvW

Posted by: Hyperdermix.2640

Hyperdermix.2640

Don’t know about the merges but I think some kind of limits for WvWvW are needed.

First of all, changing server to another just because your server didn’t do well enough is lame. And that’s what destroyed Far Shiverpeaks. We were in Tier 1 until we got once outnumbered and then people started moving to the best server. And why we got outnumbered? Because of nightcappin.

So, at some point the real action will only be in Tier 1 and 2 beacause of… “Winning team joiners”. Don’t you think that’s lame?

in WvW

Syeria.4812

It still seems to be saying it is down to the number of accounts on the server to me, nor does the alternative seem to tally with what happens at 3 AM, when I used to play, Desolation EU was still “full” at 3 AM, despite having a tiny fraction of the number of people on there that were on at primetime.

Nor does it seem very logical, if it was based on how many were currently logged on, then (to take an extreme example just to show th epoint) if everyone logged off for a couple of hours and a zillion people then transfered to that server, you have just doubled the population, there is no way to control the population with that system.

But yes it would be good if they clarified it again this is not the only thread it has come up in.

To make things even less clear, in this thread another CC “confirms” Eva’s statement, seemingly in contrast to a poster who believes it’s based on total accounts, active or not. We definitely need a single person of authority to set down the exact method of determining “full.” If I had to guess, I’d think it was based on some sort of short term average active population. The game has the overflow setup to handle sudden activity spikes, so it would make sense to balance based on who’s actually playing instead of who theoretically could be playing.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I agree with the OP. In fact is it way beyond time for server merges., we’re having a hell of a time in the lower tiers. Challenging is fun, but this is kittening ridiculous you kitten.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.