Let's have a WvW Tournament (or 5) in 2017!

in WvW

Posted by: Isbot.6701

Isbot.6701

Hi all,

Unless I am missing something there were 5 PvP tournaments in 2016 and 0 WvW Tournaments. In fact, the last time there was a WvW tournament was in 2014 which means we have gone over 2 full years since our last WvW tournament. I would really love to see a WvW Tournament (or 5) in 2017.

And yes, I am aware of all of the problems related to balance and servers/guilds trying to manipulate their ways into a win. I have been on Ferguson’s Crosssing since release and never came close to wining a WvW Tournament. However, It is fun to compete and I would really like that opportunity in 2017.

I also understand that things are still changing in WvW but that doesn’t matter. MMO’s are dynamic by their nature and no matter how much it might seem like “ok, this is the way things are” it will change again. Look at all of the skill adjustments since release. Or just look at the PvP specific skills for this PvP season. Things are always changing and if we wait until things are “perfect” in WvW then we will wait forever.

Thanks,

Able Sentry
Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

2 hour tournament could work. I get bored if tournament last longer.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: two steps.3297

two steps.3297

Well said lets hope the powers that be listen,Gets my vote.

in WvW

Posted by: harry.8521

harry.8521

I like this idea of a WvW Tournament Makes a change then having PvP Tournaments wouldn’t hurt trying to have another one.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

No, <15 characters>

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

The reason WvW tournaments didn’t work is they encouraged overtime play burning people out and emphasized the insurmountable imbalance in coverage between servers.

What if they did it differently? Something like a skirmish by skirmish basis? Maybe extend skirmishes to 3 hours, reset and remake matches to fit the tournament based on the timezone. So we have a timezone tournament not an entire server vs server week long tournament? In that situation it could be just a week long tournament where every evening you log in to your timezone and fight it out until at the end of the week one server proves they’ve come out on top for that timezone. Granted there are issues, if you say 6pm -9pm is primetime then there is no way to have it perfect for even every timezone in the US let alone the world, but it’s something right?

Anyways, just a thought, but even without that just bonus weeks would be cool, something to push people to play when they might otherwise take off. The old system of tournaments though would be a bad idea, I think Anet is right with the choice to avoid that.

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

I move to BG then I want tournament too
Moer bockses plz anet

in WvW

Posted by: Spectre.6821

Spectre.6821

With the current changes in WvW, this seems like a more practical time and structure to actually do another tournament. The merging of servers has helped address quite a bit of the numbers imbalances. The point system changes has made it more possible to make a comeback throughout the course of the week. And overall it would just be nice to see something to bring more fresh blood back into the WvW. Perhaps doing more of a “Tourney Season” would be more viable. Have rewards for the winning server from each bracket each week. With perhaps an end reward for individuals of the server with the most wins at the end of the tourney season.

I feel that this could lighten the burden of having to play aggressively for weeks at a time, but still give incentive to compete if you desire to do so. Kitten, even the achievement rewards associated with such a tourney would inspire people to play.

Just a few thoughts.

TL:DR Yes, we need some form of Tourney, Tournies, or Tourney season in WvW. Make it happen ANET.

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

For the love of god, no. Unless you want even less people playing WvW?

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I would suggest a full day/24 hour (maybe 48 hour) tournament starting on reset, as this tends to be the time when most players show up to play for all time zones. With it being 24 hours most players after their reset time would have their chance to have an impact at once for their main time zone. Rest of the week will be the usual match.

Running it any longer than that would see population and coverage start to have an impact past the weekend. I would also run the match ups for that week in order of ranks, not random glicko matching. They could turn that into a “season” thing if they want, run the tournament every week for a month then call it a season, whomever had the most wins… wins.

Obviously some servers still lack coverage, and some even say they’re a weekday server than weekend servers (really just a matter of when their main guilds run). BG probably still has the best coverage but with the new scoring system of 2-1-1, maybe that can change it.

I wouldn’t offer any big rewards for a season win, to not encourage players to bandwagon again. Maybe a title to the winning server, but maybe something in general to every player for participating in the tournaments, like ahem.. here you go everyone here’s part 1 of your legendary tombstone backpiece, play season 2 to get part 2.

I want to look at tournaments or season to be something fun to run for wvw, not something to burn players out, not something ultra competitive that everyone needs to bandwagon to winning servers, or one server needs to get the ultimate bestest reward like in spvp. At the same time bring back tickets for the former tournament items, and give a general reward that players can look back on and say they were there. Like one of the living story festivals basically.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

zhonnika.1784

Let me just clarify: Nothing in this game, other than boredom, has burnt out/drove people and commanders from this game like the 3 tournaments we’ve had. I’m sorry that you think this would be something fun to do, but it’s not for a great number of us. People are competitive, people want to play and have fun. They can’t do both, usually, when these things are run. The only way most servers can compete is to burn themselves out, and this was when the population was UP. I don’t even want to think about what it would be like now with so many people gone from the game. What you find to be a fun! event in theory, would be horrible in reality. They can bring back the tickets as skirmish rewards or something, but really, this is a horrible idea.

Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Nightingale.8364

Nightingale.8364

No thank you. No more tournements.

in WvW

Posted by: Thea Cherry.6327

Thea Cherry.6327

Let me just clarify: Nothing in this game, other than boredom, has burnt out/drove people and commanders from this game like the 3 tournaments we’ve had. I’m sorry that you think this would be something fun to do, but it’s not for a great number of us. People are competitive, people want to play and have fun. They can’t do both, usually, when these things are run. The only way most servers can compete is to burn themselves out, and this was when the population was UP. I don’t even want to think about what it would be like now with so many people gone from the game. What you find to be a fun! event in theory, would be horrible in reality. They can bring back the tickets as skirmish rewards or something, but really, this is a horrible idea.

To be honest, if we would get lots of good stuff for the torunament i would be very pleased to get new ones, but since ANet is hating us WvWlers we as sure as hell would get the same loot we get last tournament.

Oh and the new ones who wonder what iam talking about:

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Tournament is good idea if they add tournament achievements and you can complete those in EotM.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Pfft even with nothing rewards people went insane during tournaments.

I can’t imagine if Anet actually rewarded stack fever

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Previous tourneys were useless as winners were determined by the time they started. Same thing will happen with upcoming ones. Clou of the story; tourneys are pointless and far away from being competitive (something you would like with a tourney)

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Kirito.7893

Kirito.7893

^ only reason previous tourneys worked because there were actually groups who cared for points and even then after the tourney they would take weeks break because they were exhausted of the hours they played. Each server pretty much has 1 or 2 groups who care for points and are able to stay in their tier due to the amount of players stacked on the server and even then they just go take a random tower or keep to start a fight.

[Bae] is gae

in WvW

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

I do like tournaments. But it needs to be a shorter time. I guess that would be hard to do, but two weeks is to long for some. People end up getting burned out. I enjoy it but feel I am in the minority when it comes to long tournaments because, the longer the tournament the better I say.

in WvW

Posted by: displayname.8315

displayname.8315

Having a special currency for winning as a server was probably a mistake. The personal achievements was good tho and I loved using the dolyak finishers.

Wish they would show some love for WvW but oh well, messing around and getting fights is still fun.

JQ subsidiary

in WvW

Posted by: CrimeMaker.8612

CrimeMaker.8612

I think they should rotate pvp and wvw season like as soon pvp season ends the WvW season should start and whenever the next pvp season hits the wvw season will stop.

in WvW

Posted by: CrimeMaker.8612

CrimeMaker.8612

the break between each PvP season is pretty short so I think it isnt a bad idea. Last time they did WvW tourneys for like 3 months or so straight which forced a lot of people to burn out with all the over time. If they keep thr WvW season/tourney a month and half or less it would be much better and fun. They should also make it like whichever server in a certain tier has the most kills by the end of season they will win and make it less ppt stressful.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

from a red post in the thread Whens the next WvW tournament?

Our primary motivation for avoiding running another tournament, is that at the end of every tournament we saw a permanent dip in the number of players playing WvW. Presumably this was due to players burning themselves out during the tournament.

However, we can still run a poll to see if the majority of the community wants another 4 week tournament, even if it might be bad for the long term WvW population numbers. Though even if ‘running another tournament’ won the poll, we’d probably hold off until we get the scoring updates in.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Obviously running something 24/7 for 4 or 8 weeks was going to burn people out. A 24 hour tournament could work, everyone gets one chance in their time zone to play(well est would get two really because reset happens in the middle of theirs). If players want to play harder and play extended time, so be it, it would be over a weekend and for one day and the rest of the week would be normal play.

Tournaments were also a good way to bring pve players into wvw, especially after megaservers happened. Please don’t tell me you don’t even want that, because frankly the wvw recruitment pool is slim to none, it’s been losing more players than gaining for years with no real active promotion to constantly attract new players.

I don’t want a straight up tournament like the previous ones, they did burn players and even servers out, and we all knew who was going to win in the end anyways. Short burst would be better and treat it like a festival instead like the preshow to the gladiator tournament, not the actually gladiator tournament. Like the queen’s pavilion, you kill some bosses, earn some tokens, buy some unique loot, not the arena event happening in the upper floor. It should be about having fun playing in a special event, not hey gais I killed 26574 bosses I win!

As for rewards, this will never be a real or fair competition due to uneven population sizes and overall coverage, the tiers and ranks don’t even judge a server by their skill or who’s the best, it judges in order who’s the biggest in population and coverage.

You don’t hand out 1-2-3 prizes because that would obviously encourage bandwagoning. Ok Blackgate here’s your 200 tickets every week, Mag and JQ you get 150 100, just no, hand out 150 to every server. In the end you can give out a special title if you want with the season format, or a dozen tomes of knowledge which I know players will not break their backs over that XD

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

from a red post in the thread Whens the next WvW tournament?

Our primary motivation for avoiding running another tournament, is that at the end of every tournament we saw a permanent dip in the number of players playing WvW. Presumably this was due to players burning themselves out during the tournament.

However, we can still run a poll to see if the majority of the community wants another 4 week tournament, even if it might be bad for the long term WvW population numbers. Though even if ‘running another tournament’ won the poll, we’d probably hold off until we get the scoring updates in.

Didn’t Tyler get moved from the wvw team? Guy seemed pretty cool.

in WvW

Posted by: Codes.6870

Codes.6870

Let’s hope for 2017 since it’s going to be a great year.

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I doubt it will ever happen again, the populations are just not there for a competitive tournament at all, like 2-3 years ago, especially with this linking system, it’s like players bandwagoning to the ‘top’ EU Silver League servers during the previous tournaments.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: Caliburn.1845

Caliburn.1845

I’ve been a WvW commander since the game started. I played in each tourny. I have a friends list filled with guild leaders and other commanders.

The idea that the tournys burned people out and made them quit WvW is true to some extent. But honestly the humdrum lack of tournys has made far more commanders and guilds lose interest in WvW and quit playing. Name a commander who quit because of a tourny, I’ll name two who quit because of boredom.

I’m also a PVP player, you know what happens during the off-season? No one plays and match quality is terrible. You know what happens when a season starts? More people play, and play seriously.

WvW needs tournys. Something to motivate people to play WvW again. Population levels are dropping every week because it is incredibly stale and Anet seems to not support the game-mode to nearly the degree that it supports any other game-mode.

Caliburn.1845, Monsters Inc.
Darkhaven>Dragonbrand>Blackgate>Maguuma>Yaks Bend>Stormbluff Isle>Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I’ve been a WvW commander since the game started. I played in each tourny. I have a friends list filled with guild leaders and other commanders.

The idea that the tournys burned people out and made them quit WvW is true to some extent. But honestly the humdrum lack of tournys has made far more commanders and guilds lose interest in WvW and quit playing. Name a commander who quit because of a tourny, I’ll name two who quit because of boredom.

Thats not due to tournaments thats due to the lack of development in the game. The game is poorly balanced population wise so tournaments are still meaningless and will still have the same issues they had then. Anet need to pull their finger out and actually make major changes if tournaments are to mean anything.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

No. I don’t think tourneys are a good idea.

All they ever did was a create a situation where the base would predetermined bandwagon server that won. It gets stacked they get rewards, other people get kittened off. Leave. Those that bandwagon and no life to win get burned out and leave.

Also, one could argue sPvP has a pro scene, and a some semblance of balance. WvW still has yet to have a proper balance pass (IE remove things that they know are clearly broken, such as perplex runes).

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Plz, I want to see a tourney, I never saw one and I have been playing/commanding the gamemode almost 3 years.
I dont care if the tournament is only 1 week or so, i just wanna see all guilds hyped up and people getting active again. I mean obviously people who are not interested wont play, but do they really matter?
Edit: and tbf ppk outplays ppt by far when players are active. Dead hours average points are like 3k per skirmish. On prime i see numbers like 10k foe each servers in t1 so it will be more of fightblobfest for those who smart

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

(edited by Threather.9354)

in WvW

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

No you cant tourney when you cant enforce even matches. Get some ascended rewards flowing in wvw like pvp and youll see more people playing. Yeah some pve scrubs but some will eventually stay.

in WvW

Posted by: KeyOrion.9506

KeyOrion.9506

Yes! Let’s do it! Let’s have a bunch of servers lose or come in last place and have more people server jump to the “Winner’s server”.

Do you really want the chance of causing another population exodus from low tiered servers. I mean…some people can only take being kicked in the teeth so many times before they give up and ‘join the enemy’ on their server. There are already server matchups in order to alleviate some of the population problems, I don’t see how this will actually help that in any fashion.

Unless you can find a solution to population exodus which occurs AFTER certain servers lose out big time during a Season, then I don’t even see why we need to bring Seasons back.

When I’m cute, I can be cute. But when I’m mean, I can be very very mean.

in WvW

displayname.8315

Why can’t they at least have major events similar to a tournament?

The last tourney they did a really good job of making a daily reward event with the achievements and a week long achievement goal.

I know the answer is b/c they gave up on WvW to “focus on the successful parts of the game”. But still it sad.

JQ subsidiary

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Why can’t they at least have major events similar to a tournament?

The last tourney they did a really good job of making a daily reward event with the achievements and a week long achievement goal.

I know the answer is b/c they gave up on WvW to “focus on the successful parts of the game”. But still it sad.

This is why,

Two weeks before a tournament there’s a massive transfer of players hoping to bandwagon to the winning server, which leaves their former server with less population/coverage for where they are ranked. This is Anet’s fault for not adjusting a server’s glicko rating when the get/lose veteran players. The rest of the server spends the tournament getting rolled because they just can’t compete with the numbers that are left.

After the tournament is over, the huge spike in players driven by rewards known as PvE players leave, as well as veteran WvW players who’ve finally had it with Anet not caring about WvW because why would anyone have any tournament where the chances of winning weren’t determined by skill.

And there’s still people that want another tournament. Some of you are just clueless about what’s going on in WvW.

in WvW

displayname.8315

This is why,

Two weeks before a tournament there’s a massive transfer of players hoping to bandwagon to the winning server, which leaves their former server with less population/coverage for where they are ranked…..

Yeah I get why tournaments don’t work with the old school server system of a 1990’s mmo.

But why can’t they do a true event like a seasons. Where tickets are gained by completing the daily tasks, and ultimately the weekly goal. Maybe put some WvW exclusive gear or rewards that look cool.

I played in the tournaments and enjoyed the way it was setup, especially the 3rd one. I covet my Veteran of the Mists title. It sad they put WvW on the shelf. If you recall a post the director wrote about “focusing on the successful parts of the game”. Made after HoT came out I believe, had some WvW folks upset. Otherwise it could be good.

JQ subsidiary

(edited by displayname.8315)

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Population inbalance will never be solved until we get enough people off-prime overall. Theres only 4 servers on EU that have 20+14 hours a day. Playing on/against any lower numbers with bad commander is boring af.
Make commanders and players interested first, season will do just that. Yes, some servers will start losing but overall WvW population will rise, some old popular commanders will come back and some of them will stick around.
Ppk already wins ppt on points, by far, so theres no reason to follow the “ppt commanders”. At least it will make things interesting and fix “the lack of population to balance”.
Maybe have a season and overlap it with some permanent reward/matchmaking changes so people will stick around after its over?

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

in WvW

displayname.8315

The only way I see it working as a 24/7 mode is if the arrangements are more fluid. People are locked in to these servers with a huge paywall between them. 1800 gems is like 600 gold, or $20… people ain’t paying that just to balance out a mode that is broken.

Some people like playing PvE on the low servers.. flipping camps, flipping empty towers. But most like the big battles and would balance it out more if that were possible.

JQ subsidiary

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Or we can just not play wvsw in 2017.

Isn’t that anet’s master plan? Do ur dailies in eotm then go to pvp/pve?

Tell you what, lets compromise! WE’ll alll strike in 2017 till tournaments come! That suits our needs of not playing the mode, and that suits ur goal of getting tournaments back!

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Caliburn.1845

Caliburn.1845

Every few months players/guilds get randomly assigned to newly created “tourny” servers that are Anet balanced. Transfers during the tourny are locked. These servers play a tourny for a month, winning server gets some bragging rights and rewards. Then everyone gets returned to their normal server for the off-season for a couple months.

Caliburn.1845, Monsters Inc.
Darkhaven>Dragonbrand>Blackgate>Maguuma>Yaks Bend>Stormbluff Isle>Yaks Bend

in WvW

zhonnika.1784

Every few months players/guilds get randomly assigned to newly created “tourny” servers that are Anet balanced. Transfers during the tourny are locked. These servers play a tourny for a month, winning server gets some bragging rights and rewards. Then everyone gets returned to their normal server for the off-season for a couple months.

No. Many things need to happen to wvw…. this is not even remotely one of them.

Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

displayname.8315

No. Many things need to happen to wvw…. this is not even remotely one of them.

Tourney servers sounds pretty cool to me. Not sure what things they can do to wvw other than class balance, population balance. Which they do work on some, quarterly or whatever. It’s fun but veterans want something new maybe.

JQ subsidiary

in WvW

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

I played in all the WvW Tournaments and totally loved them. By far the best periods of WvW play in the entire life of the game for my money. The rewards were irrelevant – I never spent any of my tokens, all of which I still have in the bank. The fun was all in having a very clear, finite competition rather than the infinite Valhalla simulator that runs the rest of the time.

That said, it is true that there was some burnout and people did take breaks afterwards. I can’t see what the problem is with people taking breaks but encouraging players to stay awake for too long or take time off work or school to play is a step too far, I agree.

So, the solution would seem to be to have shorter tournaments! When GW2 launched we had matches that lasted days not a whole week. Presumably the mechanics to do that are still there. Or make it even faster – have tournaments that last one day, where matches reset after each skirmish and everyone plays everyone else in a matter of hours not weeks. There must be countless ways to set up a Tournament that avoid the burnout issue.