Lower the Rank Requirement for Armor

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

If you’re only getting 1 per hour, you’re doing something wrong. And that problem lies with you. If i’m able to get more just from ganking people and sometimes intentionally not capping stuff just to lure more people in to fight me, I have no idea what you’re doing wrong to get so little. I still think that if they actually cave to the pvers demands and make it easier, than they should make it easier for wvw players to get access to legendary armor.

For a pvers perspective, it doesnt seem unreasonable to do all that crap. But for a wvw player it is completely ridiculous. I suppose its a matter of perspective. This seems like an unreasonable grind for a pve player, but is entirely too easy for a dedicated wvw player. If they make one easier, they should make both easier. Its only fair IMO. Especially considering the fact that swappable stats would be most useful in wvw where you have to change builds constantly and most of us already carry 3+armor sets per class for different things. I don’t see why you would even need swappable stats in pve when you just use the same meta build for raids and never change it. and open world pve you can just use whatever you want and it works.

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

If you’re only getting 1 per hour, you’re doing something wrong. And that problem lies with you. If i’m able to get more just from ganking people and sometimes intentionally not capping stuff just to lure more people in to fight me, I have no idea what you’re doing wrong to get so little. I still think that if they actually cave to the pvers demands and make it easier, than they should make it easier for wvw players to get access to legendary armor.

For a pvers perspective, it doesnt seem unreasonable to do all that crap. But for a wvw player it is completely ridiculous. I suppose its a matter of perspective. This seems like an unreasonable grind for a pve player, but is entirely too easy for a dedicated wvw player. If they make one easier, they should make both easier. Its only fair IMO. Especially considering the fact that swappable stats would be most useful in wvw where you have to change builds constantly and most of us already carry 3+armor sets per class for different things. I don’t see why you would even need swappable stats in pve when you just use the same meta build for raids and never change it. and open world pve you can just use whatever you want and it works.

This isn’t about easy or hard though, its about time spent. Personally I think all of gw2 is easy. The time spent to get wvw rank 2k is far more egregious time wise then any other reward in game, except for pinnacle weapons from 30k achievement points. Achievement points which are also game wide as opposed to game mode specific.

If you transitioned from wvw to pve, you would realize that ALL rewards associated with it can be obtained far quicker then rank 2000 in wvw. (same goes for spvp as well).

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

If you’re only getting 1 per hour, you’re doing something wrong.

Um no? That’s actually pretty average assuming no boosters. Around 1-2 per hour is what I average, usually closer to 1 if we’re not having that great of a night in terms of fights.

Again, to everyone defending the 2k rank requirement:

The argument you are using is that the T3 armor is supposed to be a prestigious reward intended for the wvw veterans who have been playing the game mode every day and keeping it alive. A rank requirement is necessary because it’s not a problem for a wvw veteran but would gate or stop a newcomer or casual player from earning this same wvw exclusive armor and leaving.

That’s a fine argument and one I totally agree with but using thar argument, you could justify a 3k, or 4k rank. Hell, even up to 8-10k (max rank) would be perfectly fine because the “real” wvw veterans have high rank due to their activity in the game mode.

Try looking at this from a different point of view. If you want to reward people who consistently put in the time and effort into wvw over long periods of time, you have to consider what players are contributing to wvw, how much time and effort they put in and about what rank they would be after putting in all that time and effort. You also have to consider the reward at hand (it’s a wvw exlusive skin and only ascended armor; it’s not on the level of legendary armor).

There is obviously a spectrum of players when it comes to how much time/effort they’ve put in and what rank they are but you have to draw a line somewhere when it comes to calling them veterans and considering their contribution important. None of you have access to any hard data that could sway this argument but what you CAN do is ask some players who you regularly see in wvw how long they’ve been playing, how often they play each night and what rank they are. If you could be bothered to do that, you’d find:

• Most are above rank 500 at least but most are not above rank 2000.
  • Most of the regulars have been playing the game mode for longer than 4-6 months.
  • Players gain on average 1 rank per hour, maybe 2-3 if they’re in a large and excellent fight guild and/or use boosters).
  • Most gain wvw rank at a rate of about 1000 per year.
  • For commanders, people in large, highly active T1 server fight guilds or K-trainers, they are of course going to be of higher rank for the same amount of time played.
  • From what I’ve found, only those who have been playing for 3 or more years tend to be above 2000 with only a couple exceptions.

There are some I talked to who have been playing 1-2 years and are above rank 2000. They tended to put in 2-3 hours per night, tended to play rev/guard/ele/necro, almost exclusively zergged and were from very decent and active fight guilds. I don’t think these guys represent the average wvw veteran. They’re the cream of the crop for sure but rewards aren’t trophies and aren’t only for the best of the best. They’re for those who put in honest time and effort.

I actually went out and talked to people to get this data. I’m not basing my arguments on personal opinion or belief unlike some of you. In fact, as enflamed as I was about that 2k rank requirement at first, I didn’t post anything on the forums. I waited, talked to people over the course of a week to see if maybe I just sucked at gaining wvw rank or was doing something terribly wrong and it turns out that’s not the case.

Conclusion I’ve reached after thinking about this for so long: A rank requirement is necessary, but a 2k rank requirement is a bit too high. To more inclusively reward the wvw veterans who deserve it without giving handouts to new or casual players, the rank requirement should be lower but not too low. I’m in favor of making it at or close to 1000 because this would nicely accomplish the goals Anet had set out for when releasing this feature pack.

in WvW

Posted by: Set.7461

Set.7461

That’s a fine argument and one I totally agree with but using thar argument, you could justify a 3k, or 4k rank. Hell, even up to 8-10k (max rank) would be perfectly fine because the “real” wvw veterans have high rank due to their activity in the game mode.

I’m fine with it being increased. I see too many so-called “legendaries” in the game. Seeing someone with the armor(specifically the chestpiece) will show how much time he put into the game mode.

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

I’m fine with it being increased. I see too many so-called “legendaries” in the game. Seeing someone with the armor(specifically the chestpiece) will show how much time he put into the game mode.

I think I’d be fine with a 2-5k rank requirement as well if it was legendary armor but it’s not. It’s simply ascended armor that really only functions as a skin since you would have the T2 ascended armor before purchasing T3. It only offers a bit of glowy effects (which aren’t necessarily a positive for wvw players) and has a small advantage of not requiring any crafting to purchase.

in WvW

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

I think I’d be fine with a 2-5k rank requirement as well if it was legendary armor but it’s not. It’s simply ascended armor that really only functions as a skin since you would have the T2 ascended armor before purchasing T3. It only offers a bit of glowy effects (which aren’t necessarily a positive for wvw players) and has a small advantage of not requiring any crafting to purchase.

So what you are saying is that since it’s just a skin that it’s meaningless to change the requirements. Since you know it’s just skin and nothing else

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

So what you are saying is that since it’s just a skin that it’s meaningless to change the requirements. Since you know it’s just skin and nothing else

I’m saying that for what it is right now, its rank requirements are not okay. They could keep the requirements the same and change the item itself but that’s unlikely.

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

This isn’t about easy or hard though, its about time spent. Personally I think all of gw2 is easy. The time spent to get wvw rank 2k is far more egregious time wise then any other reward in game, except for pinnacle weapons from 30k achievement points. Achievement points which are also game wide as opposed to game mode specific.

If you transitioned from wvw to pve, you would realize that ALL rewards associated with it can be obtained far quicker then rank 2000 in wvw. (same goes for spvp as well).

Again, its a matter of perspective. For someone like me that despises pve in this game, the time it would take for any pve rewards is ridiculous. It would probably take me a few years to get legendary armor forcing myself to do all that pve grind. For someone that enjoys wvw, this is nothing though. It may seem alot to a pver that doesnt like being in wvw though. Even if it was 4k+ rank, i could probably get it in a few months grinding from where i am now. If you really grind for it, you could get 3 or more ranks per hour. I still dont feel at all that its the least bit unreasonable from a wvw players perspective. Like im sure there are pvers that feel the legendary armor requirements are reasonable. I don’t, I think all that pve grind is completely ridiculous and should be lowered or atleast made more accessible to wvw players through reward tracks. Again, if they lower wvw requirements to make it easier for pve players, they should lower the requirements for pve rewards to make it easier for wvw players. fair is fair.

If they aren’t going to change that, then they shouldn’t touch the wvw rewards. If i have to put in such a long boring grind for pve stuff, pvers should have to put in an equally long annoying grind for wvw stuff. I would of course prefer they made it so that all players could do what they enjoy and get the rewards they want and not have to suffer through stuff they dont like to get something they want.

That would make sense though and Anet sure as hell wont do that. I mean, I would totally be in favor of pvers being able to get this by playing in pve only, IF they also made it possible for wvw players to get legendary armor only by playing wvw. Remember when anet used to be a company about “play the way you want. You shouldn’t have to wait around to have fun. You should be able to play content you enjoy and be rewarded for it. The game shouldnt feel like a job”? Yeah well its not like that anymore. PvE is basically the boring job for me i have to suffer through until i get to go play the mode I enjoy.

Atleast with reward tracks I dont have to spend as much time in pve to be able to afford stuff for wvw now. Its unfair for both types of players at this point. I’m sure the pvers dont want to be in wvw anymore than i want to be in pve. But at this point its just a matter of “I have to suffer for what I want, so you should too”. Anet has changed alot from the company they used to be and the community has changed too as a result.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Again, its a matter of perspective. For someone like me that despises pve in this game, the time it would take for any pve rewards is ridiculous. It would probably take me a few years to get legendary armor forcing myself to do all that pve grind. For someone that enjoys wvw, this is nothing though. It may seem alot to a pver that doesnt like being in wvw though. Even if it was 4k+ rank, i could probably get it in a few months grinding from where i am now. If you really grind for it, you could get 3 or more ranks per hour. I still dont feel at all that its the least bit unreasonable from a wvw players perspective. Like im sure there are pvers that feel the legendary armor requirements are reasonable. I don’t, I think all that pve grind is completely ridiculous and should be lowered or atleast made more accessible to wvw players through reward tracks. Again, if they lower wvw requirements to make it easier for pve players, they should lower the requirements for pve rewards to make it easier for wvw players. fair is fair.

If they aren’t going to change that, then they shouldn’t touch the wvw rewards. If i have to put in such a long boring grind for pve stuff, pvers should have to put in an equally long annoying grind for wvw stuff. I would of course prefer they made it so that all players could do what they enjoy and get the rewards they want and not have to suffer through stuff they dont like to get something they want.

That would make sense though and Anet sure as hell wont do that. I mean, I would totally be in favor of pvers being able to get this by playing in pve only, IF they also made it possible for wvw players to get legendary armor only by playing wvw. Remember when anet used to be a company about “play the way you want. You shouldn’t have to wait around to have fun. You should be able to play content you enjoy and be rewarded for it. The game shouldnt feel like a job”? Yeah well its not like that anymore. PvE is basically the boring job for me i have to suffer through until i get to go play the mode I enjoy.

Atleast with reward tracks I dont have to spend as much time in pve to be able to afford stuff for wvw now. Its unfair for both types of players at this point. I’m sure the pvers dont want to be in wvw anymore than i want to be in pve. But at this point its just a matter of “I have to suffer for what I want, so you should too”. Anet has changed alot from the company they used to be and the community has changed too as a result.

It’s not a matter of perspective really. Lets assume you take a player who is just starting out in the game, and that player is the best player of all time. They min/maxes everything and play perfectly. If they go into pve, and they clear every raid boss, every week (which can be done in only 4 hrs and then you are finished for the entire week) then you would have a full set of legendary armor in 3-6 months tops.

Let’s put the same player into wvw and apply the same favors, they are min/maxing it out, even doing k-trains exclusively perhaps, and getting them up and running consistently all the time and never wiping to zergs and nothing really impedes wxp gain. They cant however use boosters, because new players don’t have boosters and there is no such equivalent in pve raids where u can use a booster and get legendary armor faster. Your still looking at about 1 1/2 – 2 years (leaning more towards 1 year if all you did was karma train at 4 hrs a day, every day and got a k-train group that was efficient every day).

So when looking at this from a point of view of min/maxing while looking at how efficiently it could be done and discarding personal limitations or feelings about specific game modes, you can see that getting wvw r 2000 takes much longer then any other reward on any other game mode.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: somewhatobsessed.6309

somewhatobsessed.6309

People here seem to be forgetting that the 2000 rank requirement is only for the Sublime T3 chest, not the entire T3 set. The first piece is available at rank 1500, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. If the requirement for the Sublime chest is reduced to rank 1000, then each of the previous parts must be reduced in turn, meaning the T3 gloves become available at 500.

Is this seriously what you’re suggesting? Because, in my humble opinion, rank 500 is far too low for this set of rewards. It’s nothing to an average dedicated WvWer (which, I suspect, most of those protesting this requirement are not).

To reiterate my previous comment, McKenna herself said that the T3 was designed as a prestige reward for vets with “crazy high ranks.” Five hundred is decidedly not "crazy high.* I’ve earned almost 100 ranks in the last two weeks with minimal effort, playing as I normally do (some zerging, but mostly roaming/back-capping and sitting in towers/camps). I don’t particularly care how acquiring this reward compares to other game modes, only how it functions in this game mode, and in this game mode, rank 2000 is no big deal if you actually play WvW.

Again, learn to deal with the fact that if you’re not a high-ranked, dedicated WvWer, this reward was not designed with you (much less a new player) in mind. If you want it, work for it.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

People here seem to be forgetting that the 2000 rank requirement is only for the Sublime T3 chest, not the entire T3 set. The first piece is available at rank 1500, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. If the requirement for the Sublime chest is reduced to rank 1000, then each of the previous parts must be reduced in turn, meaning the T3 gloves become available at 500.

Is this seriously what you’re suggesting? Because, in my humble opinion, rank 500 is far too low for this set of rewards. It’s nothing to an average dedicated WvWer (which, I suspect, most of those protesting this requirement are not).

To reiterate my previous comment, McKenna herself said that the T3 was designed as a prestige reward for vets with “crazy high ranks.” Five hundred is decidedly not "crazy high.* I’ve earned almost 100 ranks in the last two weeks with minimal effort, playing as I normally do (some zerging, but mostly roaming/back-capping and sitting in towers/camps). I don’t particularly care how acquiring this reward compares to other game modes, only how it functions in this game mode, and in this game mode, rank 2000 is no big deal if you actually play WvW.

Again, learn to deal with the fact that if you’re not a high-ranked, dedicated WvWer, this reward was not designed with you (much less a new player) in mind. If you want it, work for it.

I’d be fine with them lowering it to anything around r 1000. Either make the first piece cost r 500 and have the t3 chest be 1000, or have them all be r 1000 or have it scale from r 1000 – 1500.

If they are going to leave it at r 2000 I wish Anet would say so. I also think If it stays at r 2000 that it should be legendary.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

I’d be fine with them lowering it to anything around r 1000. Either make the first piece cost r 500 and have the t3 chest be 1000, or have them all be r 1000 or have it scale from r 1000 – 1500.

If they are going to leave it at r 2000 I wish Anet would say so. I also think If it stays at r 2000 that it should be legendary. I also personally will not pursue it if it stays at r 2000 but that’s just me.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Noone is forcing anyone to level from 0 – 2000, if they’re doing it, they’re doing it because they want the skins or they’re finding they actally enjoy it. Remember when wvw exploration was apart of the GOE, that was being forced to do something, and many stayed after they’d completed their exploration. Plus, if you’re already at 1000, hell if you’re already at 500, then you likely planned on going higher before this reward was even born.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Simply because of all those PvErs clogging border sitting afk somewhere to get pips I think anet should let the requirement be as it is.

Maybe when they have enough tickets but are way off with rank, they will realize wvw isnt about afking.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

I don’t see why people can keep the arguments up. There is really nothing to argue about.

There are people who see 2k as ok, there are people that see 2k as not ok.
No one is gonna compromise, there is no reason to since people has different beliefs.

Further argument is pointless, pure waste of time, please let the thread die so more useful threads will get more attention.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

Bottom line…Anet said in the last Guild Chat that they will be monitoring things and adjusting them as needed. It’s out of our hands, so just go play, have fun, and become part of the statistic Anet is using to make adjustments down the road. They are already going to adjust the Loyalty Bonus Pip this next patch to only require 1 week active play (100 pip level) so that you’re not punished so much for taking a week’s vacation by having to meet the old 3-week requirement.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

lol WvWers are very familiar with “we are monitoring things and will make adjustments as needed.”

I’m very proud of Anet for sticking to this one. They’d have caved by now to the yelling and screaming, and it looks like they’ll keep this one non-mandatory shiny as something to work towards.

It’s painful standing ground the first time. But over time it winds up providing better gameplay.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

Or they could just make the entire set require 1 rank (1000 or 1500) and not spread it out over a range? 500 is too low so I really don’t see them doing 500-1000.

The problem with this argument though is there are many of us who are dedicated WvWers. We’ve been in the game mode for over a year and actively participate in it for hours every night and are still no where near rank 2000.

As of right now and in general, that 2000 rank requirement is met by (groups not mutually exclusive):

• Commanders/tags
  • K-trainers or ppters
  • Players who have generally been playing in wvw for longer than 2-3 years (1-3 hours per day).
  • Players who are part of elite fighting guilds that are also fairly large (and have been playing for about a year or more).

This tends to exclude:

• Camp/tower flippers, yak killers (roamers/havoc)
  • Tower and camp defenders
  • Yak runners, siege buildiers/operators, repairs
  • Scouts
  • The majority of zerg-guild players (been playing the game mode for 0.5 to 2.5 years)

While groups from the first list there deserve the best rewards, the groups from the 2nd list are no less important to keeping the game mode alive. They should not be stiffed, ESPECIALLY not that last group since they contribute to the game mode the most (as a group). Lowering the rank requirement to 1500 or 1000 would reward this group without really harming the groups from the first list and without making the rewards easily accessible to casual or new players.

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Indeed it is. You also need to buy T2 in order to buy T3 so earning T3 is essentially just for a skin.

It’s not just a skin, it’s ascended armor.

A lot of people who are complaining about T3 armor don’t realize that they’re going to have a full set (or at least one piece) of ascended armor well before they get to T3 armor.

That is not true, you don’t need to have any ascended tier gear before t3. Tier 1 is exotic and tier 2 has an exotic option.

(edited by Vavume.8065)

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

lol WvWers are very familiar with “we are monitoring things and will make adjustments as needed.”

I’m very proud of Anet for sticking to this one. They’d have caved by now to the yelling and screaming, and it looks like they’ll keep this one non-mandatory shiny as something to work towards.

It’s painful standing ground the first time. But over time it winds up providing better gameplay.

It takes them usually a month to change/address things, they can still lower it.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Jayne.9251

It takes them usually a month to change/address things, they can still lower it.

No. Any pve outcry in the past has been “fixed” within a week of the forum rants, after a new feature is implemented. And usually because it’s justified. In this case it’s not.

There’s merit in not making this change. You either give up or you stick around which means more revenue for Anet in the latter case.

They lower it, you guys gobble up content as has previously been seen, then complain about not having any challenges. Or head off to other games until Anet comes up with new content — losing them revenue.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Posted by: Noblehawk.8036

Noblehawk.8036

Thing is…

If rank requirement is too low we will end up having pve players in wvw who are there only to farm the item. They will not stay and will not contribute anything meaningful to the wvw community, except long ques and permanent karma trains with very little combat skills.

Rank requirements have to be so high that 99% of the farmers give up because it is too much work, effort and time for them.

We already see how much problems we have with the back item as it is too easy to get.

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

Thing is…

If rank requirement is too low we will end up having pve players in wvw who are there only to farm the item. They will not stay and will not contribute anything meaningful to the wvw community, except long ques and permanent karma trains with very little combat skills.

Rank requirements have to be so high that 99% of the farmers give up because it is too much work, effort and time for them.

We already see how much problems we have with the back item as it is too easy to get.

Rank 1000 will still take 6-12 months (way closer to 12 months for most) depending on server/guild. Do you really think a vast number of pve players are going to come in and farm specifically for these skins for a year or more then drop wvw altogether?

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

No. Any pve outcry in the past has been “fixed” within a week of the forum rants, after a new feature is implemented. And usually because it’s justified. In this case it’s not.

There’s merit in not making this change. You either give up or you stick around which means more revenue for Anet in the latter case.

They lower it, you guys gobble up content as has previously been seen, then complain about not having any challenges. Or head off to other games until Anet comes up with new content — losing them revenue.

Don’t even try to sugar coat what the rank req in wvw means. This is not a challenge, nor does it require any skill. It’s pure mindless grind for 80% of it.

I have no idea why any wvwer would take pride in it. The only thing it shows is perhaps hours played in wvw and as someone who is a min/maxer I would say your doing it wrong, since it was so much easier to get it when eotm came out. This cheapens the ranks as it is and it was much more efficient to rank up when eotm was launched and so the lesson here is that we should of taken advantage of that when we had the chance, as it was about 100x more efficient to rank up then, than it is now. Its even more silly because the first year barely even recorded wvw rank so how many hours were spent there where no “commitment” to wvw was recorded. Or the fact that the fastest way to rank up today is still to ktrain which is mindless and isn’t even wvw.

If they leave it as is, all it proves is that the game is headed in the direction of some of the most grindiest mmo’s out there, which concerns me and should concern all of you as well. This game wasn’t marketed as a grindy mmo, infact it was one of its selling points and its one of the reasons I play it to this day. I don’t understand why so many would cheer for this or even attempt to justify its legitimacy.

Look how they promote the new wvw rewards, they chose to show a screenshot of the new armor (as opposed to the legendary back-piece which is more reasonable to obtain) and they act as though “common in and check out those new rewards.” Unbeknownst to us though the grind for it is beyond unreasonable.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/872127006741278720

aka. “The Complainer”

(edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108)

in WvW

Posted by: PabbyGaul.9682

PabbyGaul.9682

So wvwer asks for things to have high rank for.

Anet responds creating items that require high rank.

Wvwer gets it.

Pveer says wants same at lower rank.

Anet caves. Lowers rank req.

Pveer gets it too.

Wvwer asks for other things that necessitate high wvw rank.

If anet provides….

Pveer will want that too and complain until anet caves.

…..

Seems like a never ending cycle. What can wvwers with high rank get that others cant?

If you say the answer should be “nothing useful or cool” isnt that just being spiteful?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Don’t even try to sugar coat what the rank req in wvw means. This is not a challenge, nor does it require any skill. It’s pure mindless grind for 80% of it.

And has been said countless times in this thread: You don’t need the item to play the game. If you had ONE viable reason as to why you HAVE to have it, that would be fine, but you have yet to do anything but type walls of text. I’m sorry, it’s true. Half this thread is you.

Its even more silly because the first year barely even recorded wvw rank so how many hours were spent there where no “commitment” to wvw was recorded.

Actually ranks weren’t introduced until just after year two, or was it year three? Without rewards or any loot. But we still played it.

And you feel it should be made easier for you? Are you willing to cough up two years worth of pve income?

Or the fact that the fastest way to rank up today is still to ktrain which is mindless and isn’t even WvW

Well FABULOUS! You can earn this award in less time than me. So what’s the problem?

If they leave it as is, all it proves is that the game is headed in the direction of some of the most grindiest mmo’s out there, which concerns me and should concern all of you as well.

Again, you have a choice. If Anet caves, and thankfully it’s looking like they won’t, you’ll have this content completed and off to another game, stripping revenue from Anet.

Conversely, if it takes you a long while to get the shiny, you may just learn what a unique and great game mode this is.

Remember, you have a choice.

And to be fair, you aren’t this first harbinger of doom here who’s predicted the decline of GW2 because somethings not easy. People have been saying the game is doomed for five years now. Yet we are still chugging along.

This game wasn’t marketed as a grindy mmo, infact it was one of its selling points and its one of the reasons I play it to this day. I don’t understand why so many would cheer for this or even attempt to justify its legitimacy.

Where does it say that exactly?

Look how they promote the new wvw rewards, they chose to show a screenshot of the new armor (as opposed to the legendary back-piece which is more reasonable to obtain) and they act as though “common in and check out those new rewards.” Unbeknownst to us though the grind for it is beyond unreasonable.

Again you have a choice. You do not NEED these items.

Give it up already. You’re the only one still here screeching over this.

I think you’ve had some very thoughtful and respectful replies to your pages of posts, but you seem to have tunnel vision.

Time to adult.

Edited to add: Geeze that armour is atrocious lol. All this fuss over bounce dryer sheets tied to your back?

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

And has been said countless times in this thread: You don’t need the item to play the game. If you had ONE viable reason as to why you HAVE to have it, that would be fine, but you have yet to do anything but type walls of text. I’m sorry, it’s true. Half this thread is you.

You don’t technically need 99% of any gear in this game, acquiring gear in gw2 is end game content. If you don’t get gear whats the point? There is no vertical gear progression like in other mmo’s this is the end game, collectors and completionists are drawn to gw2 as an mmo for this reason.

Its silly because the first year barely even recorded wvw rank so how many hours were spent there where no “commitment” to wvw was recorded.

Actually ranks weren’t introduced until just after year two, or was it year three? Without rewards or any loot. But we still played it.

And you feel it should be made easier for you? Are you willing to cough up two years worth of pve income?

I was right there playing the first year, and that time is lost for both of us, so I don’t know why you think i wasn’t playing wvw before wxp came out?

No I don’t think any aspect of getting t3 armor is “hard” since you use the word “easier.” Its a matter of time, the grind is too much especially compared to all other rewards in the entire game. It’s also not just for me, many others want the rank req lowered as well.

In addition to this I would gladly cough over 2-3 years of “pve” income to obtain this, as that would take much less time for me to earn then wvw r 2000. Especially since the majority of my money is earned through playing the TP a revenue source which is also freely available to wvwers. So in conclusion, I would hardly care about spending any income I earned from “pve” play.

Or the fact that the fastest way to rank up today is still to ktrain which is mindless and isn’t even WvW

Well FABULOUS! You can earn this award in less time than me. So what’s the problem?

They have patched this, and you can no longer farm to rank 2000-5000 in one month. But they let those who did keep that rank. Nobody cared at the time because no rewards were ever gated behind wvw rank. And yes the moral is, in hindsight, we all should of farmed it in this limited time frame.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

If they leave it as is, all it proves is that the game is headed in the direction of some of the most grindiest mmo’s out there, which concerns me and should concern all of you as well.

Again, you have a choice. If Anet caves, and thankfully it’s looking like they won’t, you’ll have this content completed and off to another game, stripping revenue from Anet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Lower-the-Rank-Requirement-for-Armor/6622871/edit
Conversely, if it takes you a long while to get the shiny, you may just learn what a unique and great game mode this is.

Remember, you have a choice.

And to be fair, you aren’t this first harbinger of doom here who’s predicted the decline of GW2 because somethings not easy. People have been saying the game is doomed for five years now. Yet we are still chugging along.

I’ve been playing wvw since launch and have mastered it. There is nothing for me to “learn” about wvw. I especially don’t need 2k hours to figure out the mysteries of a game mode I have already long mastered. Your right I do have a choice, I can not pursue it, and I probably wont because this is the opposite of what a-net promised us in terms of mmo content, but to that end I’m going to voice my displeasure in hopes that they do change it.

This game wasn’t marketed as a grindy mmo, infact it was one of its selling points and its one of the reasons I play it to this day. I don’t understand why so many would cheer for this or even attempt to justify its legitimacy.

Where does it say that exactly?

Well it’s actually in the MMO manifesto for gw2 so… If your not aware of this you must not have played the game as long as I have. I know quite a bit about the history of gw2 & gw1(played since 2004 gw1 beta till today). Perhaps you should re-evaluate some of your opinions about me and take them a bit more seriously.

https://youtu.be/FU1JUwPqzQY?t=1m21s

Again you have a choice. You do not NEED these items.

Give it up already. You’re the only one still here screeching over this.

I think you’ve had some very thoughtful and respectful replies to your pages of posts, but you seem to have tunnel vision.

Time to adult.

Edited to add: Geeze that armour is atrocious lol. All this fuss over bounce dryer sheets tied to your back?

Yes we have had a ton of thoughtful replies on both sides, and from what I can see, the ones who are for lowering it are much more articulate and they make extremely valid points with a lot of thought and logic behind it. This is because we are trying to change the status quo and let anet know they are making a mistake as opposed to blindly towing the company line or being selfish about what we already have.

Being an adult has nothing to do with being quiet about wanting the rank req to be lowered. Being quite about subject which I feel hurt the brand is akin to me getting food poisoning from eating bad food and trying to tell the company that made it that they might have a contamination issue in their product. Only for others to say shut up your being a baby time to man up to that food poisoning (this is nonsense).

If they don’t lower it, I won’t be pursuing it, when otherwise I would be if it was more reasonable. This isn’t a protest either, Its too grindy and im telling a-net that there are lot of other people who feel the same way and that this isnt the mmo we were sold on and it’s unreasonable.

additionally, You don’t need these items either as most wvwers talk about how they play for the enjoyment of the game, then why would you care what the rewards are in the first place or how anet distributes them? Why do wvwers for years complain about better rewards if they are playing it for enjoyment? Why does it matter? I’ll tell you why, because they are trying to attract new players and spvpers and pvers into wvw, and this is who I am advocating on behalf of.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

T3 armor should stay where it is.

Include a recipe to turn it into legendary:
– mix with the gifts in the forge
– gets dye channel for the glowy parts.

Done

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Everyone in favor of lowering this requirement for pvers do realise those are the players that complained loudest about an at most 8 hour reward track right?

It wouldn’t matter if this were lowered, it still wouldn’t be low enough for some people. Therefore, it’s fine exactly where it’s at.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: somewhatobsessed.6309

somewhatobsessed.6309

If they are going to leave it at r 2000 I wish Anet would say so. I also think If it stays at r 2000 that it should be legendary.

If a requirement of 1000-1500 is acceptable to you, what’s another 500 ranks? To most of us who play primarily in WvW, 500 ranks is not an issue. I’ve earned around that much in the past year alone, and that’s with month-long breaks where I only logged into the game for dailies.

In your first post, I noticed that your current rank was below 400, yet ranks have been in the game since early 2013 (you can still read the blog post introducing the system here). That’s fewer than 100 ranks per year since the system was released! You also said you’ve played between 360-500 hours of WvW since the game launched, which comes to approximately 2 hours of WvW per week (only ~30 minutes of WvW per day), and that’s being generous. I don’t mean to demean you in any way, but to reinforce my earlier point: if the T3 reward seems out of reach to you given your normal playstyle, it’s because you are not the target audience for this particular reward. It’s that simple.

I agree that the T3 should have been legendary, but I can understand why they chose not to go that route at this time. I do hope they will introduce legendary WvW armor in the future.

The problem with this argument though is there are many of us who are dedicated WvWers. We’ve been in the game mode for over a year and actively participate in it for hours every night and are still no where near rank 2000.

[…]

Lowering the rank requirement to 1500 or 1000 would reward this group without really harming the groups from the first list and without making the rewards easily accessible to casual or new players.

I fall into the second category of WvWers that you describe, spending most of my playtime babysitting sentries/camps/towers, recapping, and supporting the main zerg in defense/offense when necessary. I just hit rank 1000 this week, so I’m nowhere near qualifying for the T3 myself, but I’m okay with that because I see it as a long-term goal. If ANet reduced it to 1000 come this Tuesday, I would honestly be deeply disappointed because I would have nothing to look forward to in terms of rewards for my favorite game mode. I want to reach the bar they’ve set for it, not cry until they lower the bar to my level. I understand for some players, like the OP, it seems impossibly daunting, but I feel the same way when I look at the requirements for raids (a game mode for which I have zero interest at the moment) and legendary armor. As Nikkinella said earlier, it’s a matter of perspective.

And again, there are 3 tiers of Triumphant armor that players can obtain. The T2 is functionally the same as T3 and has no rank requirements or limits outside of crafting.

If they leave it as is, all it proves is that the game is headed in the direction of some of the most grindiest mmo’s out there

Have you ever played a F2P Korean MMO? I did, for 4 years. Compared to that, earning 2000 ranks in WvW is nothing.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

If a requirement of 1000-1500 is acceptable to you, what’s another 500 ranks? To most of us who play primarily in WvW, 500 ranks is not an issue. I’ve earned around that much in the past year alone, and that’s with month-long breaks where I only logged into the game for dailies.

In your first post, I noticed that your current rank was below 400, yet ranks have been in the game since early 2013 (you can still read the blog post introducing the system here). That’s fewer than 100 ranks per year since the system was released! You also said you’ve played between 360-500 hours of WvW since the game launched, which comes to approximately 2 hours of WvW per week (only ~30 minutes of WvW per day), and that’s being generous. I don’t mean to demean you in any way, but to reinforce my earlier point: if the T3 reward seems out of reach to you given your normal playstyle, it’s because you are not the target audience for this particular reward. It’s that simple.

I agree that the T3 should have been legendary, but I can understand why they chose not to go that route at this time. I do hope they will introduce legendary WvW armor in the future.

[…]

Lowering the rank requirement to 1500 or 1000 would reward this group without really harming the groups from the first list and without making the rewards easily accessible to casual or new players.

I fall into the second category of WvWers that you describe, spending most of my playtime babysitting sentries/camps/towers, recapping, and supporting the main zerg in defense/offense when necessary. I just hit rank 1000 this week, so I’m nowhere near qualifying for the T3 myself, but I’m okay with that because I see it as a long-term goal. If ANet reduced it to 1000 come this Tuesday, I would honestly be deeply disappointed because I would have nothing to look forward to in terms of rewards for my favorite game mode. I want to reach the bar they’ve set for it, not cry until they lower the bar to my level. I understand for some players, like the OP, it seems impossibly daunting, but I feel the same way when I look at the requirements for raids (a game mode for which I have zero interest at the moment) and legendary armor. As Nikkinella said earlier, it’s a matter of perspective.

And again, there are 3 tiers of Triumphant armor that players can obtain. The T2 is functionally the same as T3 and has no rank requirements or limits outside of crafting.

If they leave it as is, all it proves is that the game is headed in the direction of some of the most grindiest mmo’s out there

Have you ever played a F2P Korean MMO? I did, for 4 years. Compared to that, earning 2000 ranks in WvW is nothing.

I’m rank 493 now and I have played wvw much more at launch before wxp was a thing. I probably have close to 500 hrs played in it, now maybe more. This grind is too much and I don’t want this game to become grindy. As far as my experience with grinds in other games it’s extensive needles to say. I played final fantasy 11 at launch for 3 years and obtained a relic weapon so I know the meaning of grind. That’s one of the reasons I play gw2 today is so that I don’t have to do that anymore within reason. So the grind is more of the issue for me rather then the intended target of the audience.

In addition, the intended target audience is clearly new players, since that is why you make new rewards is to always entice new players. If they wanted to reward dedicated wvwers, they would simply give them a 1 time reward that is obtainable only by r 2K right now and be done with it. This is designed as a grind to attract new players and it is enticement for people to play wvw in lieu of new wvw content.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

The amount of time it takes you guys to write all this crap, you could have gained a few ranks. Tickets are more of a time gate and grind issue than rank.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

just 63,5 Gold…. yeah that sure isn’t “a lot”… to a PvE player.

Ohh come on, i made at least 100g from packets alone since patch. Not mentioning reward tracks/lootbags and all the other kitten wvw throws at you nowadays

Clearly you dont provide siege/tactics for the server you are on. If you had, you’d understand.

But hey, just because you want to leech off your server doesnt mean the rest of us do.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Jayne.9251

You don’t technically need 99% of any gear in this game, acquiring gear in gw2 is end game content. If you don’t get gear whats the point? There is no vertical gear progression like in other mmo’s this is the end game, collectors and completionists are drawn to gw2 as an mmo for this reason.

So I guess we can sum up your pages of posts in a single sentence: “They should lower the requirement because I want it.”

What happens after you get it? Anet will have to come up with yet more content or shinies to keep you playing?

P.S. The end-game content is WvW.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Arcaedus.7290

If a requirement of 1000-1500 is acceptable to you, what’s another 500 ranks?

6 Months of play time.

I fall into the second category of WvWers that you describe, spending most of my playtime babysitting sentries/camps/towers, recapping, and supporting the main zerg in defense/offense when necessary. I just hit rank 1000 this week, so I’m nowhere near qualifying for the T3 myself, but I’m okay with that because I see it as a long-term goal. If ANet reduced it to 1000 come this Tuesday, I would honestly be deeply disappointed because I would have nothing to look forward to in terms of rewards for my favorite game mode. I want to reach the bar they’ve set for it, not cry until they lower the bar to my level. I understand for some players, like the OP, it seems impossibly daunting, but I feel the same way when I look at the requirements for raids

You would absolutely have things to look forward to. Anet lowering the requirement to 1000 doesn’t mean you automatically have the full set. You have to continue to actively participate and purchase all of T2 before purchasing T3. That takes an enormous amount of time considering how slowly tickets come in per week and how much each piece of armor costs.

Also I understand where you’re coming from with raids seeming daunting. They did to me too at first until a guildie got me into them. After a couple weeks I realized that if I really wanted to, I could pump out an entire set of legendary armor in 16-20 weeks (it’s technically possible in 10 weeks). The difference for wvw rank is us veterans actually have a good idea of how long it does take considering that we’ve been playing the game mode for years.

It’s not a matter of lowering the requirement for pve/casual/new players. They should absolutely not be rewarded right now like veterans have. The matter is rewarding those veterans who have kept the game mode alive over all these years and barring them with a rank requirement that most don’t have is a heinous slap to the face for all the time and effort they have put in.

So I guess we can sum up your pages of posts in a single sentence: “They should lower the requirement because I want it.”

What happens after you get it? Anet will have to come up with yet more content or shinies to keep you playing?

P.S. The end-game content is WvW.

He’s making the following argument:

They should lower the requirement because statistically speaking, it takes too long to earn it in comparison to earning the same level of gear from any other game mode.

He gave numbers and evidence to back that up.

in WvW

Posted by: GrahamW.5397

GrahamW.5397

Just let this thread die already please. The rank requirement for the extra shiny armor which is solely there for people to show off their time dedicated to wvw, is fine at 2k. If you really want to get ascended armor through wvw there is a less shiny set as well as an exotic set that doesn’t require near as many ranks and looks the SAME as the highest tier set just without the glow effects on them. Just because you can’t get the highest tier skin because you haven’t dedicated time to the game mode doesn’t make it unfair or however you would like to phrase it. I wouldn’t go into pve expecting to get legendary armor so easy, and neither should you for the wvw armor. The bigger issue is ticket acquisition, and the pips themselves we need more discussion on this, and less discussion about rank requirements which aren’t a problem.

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

rank 1500-2000 is fine, god forbid that the players who have stuck it out through almost 5 years get rewarded a bit more than the people just jumping in now for the skins.

really so 360 – 500 hrs of wvw and I’m only 1/8th the way there and that’s “just jumping in”?

And yet, elsewhere when you were questioned about playing the game you noted you got 120 ranks over the last week.

Given your stated rank in that post as well, of 493, that should only take you 13 weeks to reach rank 2000. You would also most likely have your tickets as well.

By your playing, and your stated levels, you should get it about the same time as the horrible vets you seem to feel are entitled.

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

I’d give them a month or two to really monitor how fast people are earning pips and see if they feel like adjusting either the cap or the rate that pips are earned. There are plenty of other “live” threads that talk about pip acquisition rates. Queues seem to be dying down, now that those looking for an easy grind have left, so if that reduces the pip rate for the rest of us, I’m sure they’ll take a look at it. Really, though, they probably wanted to give us a Holy Grail quest just to get us off their backs so they can focus on PvE and PvP upgrades for the next expansion.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

rank 1500-2000 is fine, god forbid that the players who have stuck it out through almost 5 years get rewarded a bit more than the people just jumping in now for the skins.

really so 360 – 500 hrs of wvw and I’m only 1/8th the way there and that’s “just jumping in”?

And yet, elsewhere when you were questioned about playing the game you noted you got 120 ranks over the last week.

Given your stated rank in that post as well, of 493, that should only take you 13 weeks to reach rank 2000. You would also most likely have your tickets as well.

By your playing, and your stated levels, you should get it about the same time as the horrible vets you seem to feel are entitled.

Neat argument, only the 2 yrs for rank 2K comes from playing regular wvw for 4 hrs a day with no boosters. I played with boosters 10 hrs a day in karma trains to hit 120 ranks in one week. I did this to see how pheasable getting rank 2K is and Yah it’s not sustainable and it’s ridiculous and needs to be changed.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

Neat argument, only the 2 yrs for rank 2K comes from playing regular wvw for 4 hrs a day with no boosters. I played with boosters 10 hrs a day in karma trains to hit 120 ranks in one week. I did this to see how pheasable getting rank 2K is and Yah it’s not sustainable and it’s ridiculous and needs to be changed.

And yet, you enjoy the mode so much you did it?

in WvW

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I think, they should have skins sprinkled out through all of the ranks.

Maybe add in another set to bridge the gap between T2 and T3.

Then have a new set every 2K up to the max ranks.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

OMG. Stop Calling it a GRIND. Its only a grind if thats the only reason your DOING wvw. If your playing wvw for the sake of playing its a reward. The only people that should be calling it a grind are the people that come here from PvE/PvP. And these rewards aren’t FOR them yet.

Infact it sounds like you WANT it to be something that could be considered a grind. Something you mindlessly do for a short time each day rather than it be something you get for actually COMMITTING to an entire game mode.

Ghost Yak

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Well at least we manged to get most of the OP’s threads into one now.

/popcorn.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: fishoa.9648

fishoa.9648

New armors are just another carrot in a stick. They’re designed to be grindy.

The downside is that once players realize the grind is too much, they will just quit the mode. It’s not fun playing 3 time zones for 5 days to get very little rewards while high ranked players can play much, much less and complete Diamond.

High ranked players don’t care about the low rank player struggle and even belittle them when they ask ANET to lessen the grind. The irony is that they don’t realize this is an abandoned mode in a dying game. Feel grateful you’re getting new players because it won’t last long.

(edited by fishoa.9648)

in WvW

Jayne.9251

New armors are just another carrot in a stick. They’re designed to be grindy.

The downside is that once players realize the grind is too much, they will just quit the mode. It’s not fun playing 3 time zones for 5 days to get very little rewards while high ranked players can play much, much less and complete Diamond.

High ranked players don’t care about the low rank player struggle and even belittle them when they ask ANET to lessen the grind. The irony is that they don’t realize this is an abandoned mode in a dying game. Feel grateful you’re getting new players because it won’t last long.

Well that’s not very nice.

And just to let you know, most veteran WvWers hate the queues — love the influx of players, but hate the queues. Having it “not last long” is not a threat lol

I’ve played WvW for four years now. I’m at rank 300-something because I scout all the time and when WXP was first introduced scouts got zero pretty much.

And I still want them to keep the 2K requirements.

If you want the shiny, work for it. Plain and simple.

Who knows? You may find you actually enjoy WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

I say INCREASE the rank requirement.

Or, make another tier of it that’s legendary grade WvW armour. I’d like to see a set of legendary Diamond Rank WvW gear.

in WvW

Posted by: PabbyGaul.9682

PabbyGaul.9682

I say INCREASE the rank requirement.

Or, make another tier of it that’s legendary grade WvW armour. I’d like to see a set of legendary Diamond Rank WvW gear.

Agreed. I can already get all this stuff. I would love some more higher rank long term rewards…maybe every 1k rank?

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

So, just my observation from Reddit etc but the WvW hype train for easy legendary back seems to be over. Some PVE people have stayed and that is amazing but most seem to accept the grind for what it is at this point. They play, they enjoy, the game continues.

Fair to say this thread is redundant.

CCCP….

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

This seems to be the case. The only people I see who are sticking around are those for the legendary back piece and they are asking for pips to be acquired more quickly. I have not seen anyone new who is remotely going for rank 2000 to get t3 armor. The carrot on the stick has been set far too high. I don’t know why they don’t make the grind (and it is a grind) more reasonable and just give vet players a 1 time unique reward.

aka. “The Complainer”