Make WvW user friendly, team speak problem

in WvW

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

I’m sick and tired of not being able to join a team because “they” want people to be in team speak, a 3rd party software used to communicate with each other. The people that don’t want to install the 3rd party software are being left out of the team and the boon sharing being denied. I have seen and experienced it first hand, if you are not in a team, you received a lot of damage because basically you are not getting any boons and heals.

To solve this problem and to make WvW more efficient, I propose the following:

• Put everyone on the same team upon entry to a wvw map and make it a choice to get out an create your own team. That way everyone gets boons and heals. This makes sense because we all are members of the same team. In pvp you don’t see 1 person running by itself and the other 4 in their own team.

OR

• Allow the TAG to create a separate party where only the people who are not in team speak are allocated so that they can benefit from the boons and heals from non team speak users.

Now, you might say: why not just create your own party with non-team speak users?
Well, you can do this, BUT it is highly inefficient because people constantly change maps and log off. Also, a lot of people don’t know how to join a group!

This has been my suggestion for WvW. I hope that you will implement something like this in the future to make WvW more efficient and user friendly.

in WvW

Posted by: Pumped.2371

Pumped.2371

So you want the benefits of being part of the team, but don’t want to log on TS to be a part of the team? Not how it works buddy.

in WvW

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

How does being in TS get you boon share?

A more sensible suggestion to get over the issue of asking people to download and install 3rd party software would be for ANEt to add integrated voice coms to GW2. Other MMOs do it and have been doing it for a decade (although even then some people insist on using a 3rd party alternative…)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

So you want the benefits of being part of the team, but don’t want to log on TS to be a part of the team? Not how it works buddy.

Some people can’t use teamspeak for multiple reasons.

It’s not as simple as “I don’t want to do it.”

I always recognize the commanders that do this on map and leave immediately. There are thankfully plenty of commanders on my server that are willing to work with me without teamspeak. And you know what? Those guys get the big crowds, every time.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

So basically you’re complaining that the commander doesn’t put all non teamspeak user into their own subgroups of non teamspeak users right?

Which is pretty much what a lot of commanders I’ve seen do so I really don’t understand your complaints OP. This is right below add quaggans to WvW in terms of priority.

in WvW

Posted by: Chetumal.5784

Chetumal.5784

And the reasons are? Pls. give me multiple reasons.
If you don’t want to use TS, ok, don’t do it. But don’t complain that you don’t get the benefits, like boon share from the group. The group wants you to join TS, just do it. If you don’t , bye,bye, see you in hell.

in WvW

Posted by: Grim Reaper.3048

Grim Reaper.3048

If you don’t want to use TS, ok, don’t do it. But don’t complain that you don’t get the benefits, like boon share from the group. The group wants you to join TS, just do it. If you don’t , bye,bye, see you in hell.

Did you ever think that some players computers can run GW2 and TS at the same time.

in WvW

Posted by: Mammon.9508

Mammon.9508

While we’re at it, can we also hide our character levels from allies? I hate being kicked from squad just because I’m “level 3 and don’t contribute to the fight at all”. Whether I’m level 3 or level 80, I can still use ballistas just as well.

in WvW

apharma.3741

Don’t speak the same language.
Have to listen for other things like children, deliveries and other things.
Currently on TS/Skype with other friends.
Commander is abusive and or crude.
Regular people on teamspeak are disgusting, burping, being racist, sexist and general kittens.
Don’t want to be harassed because you’re a girl (happens more than I would believe)

There ya go, plenty of good reasons why you wouldn’t want to be on teamspeak, now tell me why someone not on teamspeak shouldn’t be put into a party with a decent composition? Please multiple reasons because I’ve seen some kitten fine players put into parties with no support which severally limits the capability of the group.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

This thread is why guilds have asked for private guild tags that only guild members can see on the map for a very long time.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Shinsetsuu.2849

Shinsetsuu.2849

Regular people on teamspeak are disgusting, burping, being racist, sexist and general kittens.
Don’t want to be harassed because you’re a girl (happens more than I would believe)

There ya go, plenty of good reasons why you wouldn’t want to be on teamspeak, now tell me why someone not on teamspeak shouldn’t be put into a party with a decent composition? Please multiple reasons because I’ve seen some kitten fine players put into parties with no support which severally limits the capability of the group.

OK some of these are valid, like having children to watch after, commanders that bag on their players, etc. But nothing is stopping someone from joining the channel muted, giving it a try (because maybe you don’t know this commander, and simply joining is relatively effortless). You can’t say that because of 1 bad experience with some other commander that all commanders are inherently mean, just like you can’t say that all team speak users are crude and racist/sexist.

If we use the same logic as those generalizations that you provided, tags that want you in TS can say that the majority of people who refuse to join TS are worse than those who do, therefore there is no reason for them to put you in a comped subsquad. Additionally, arguing that it is a hassle to join TS produces an equal counter argument that not being able to tell your players what to do without stopping to type is just as much of a hassle.

If you have a commander you love following, work it out in PMs with them or try testing the waters by joining muted. I have seen many people do this, and listening is more important than speaking, nobody is asking for you to speak.

Also, nobody will know if you are a guy or a girl if you never talk and don’t upload an overly male/female ish avatar on TS. My server also had a Chilean guild and we saw a ton of English only speakers who followed them in TS because it is easy to over come the language barrier in gw2. You find a common ground to say “push” “regroup” “left” “right” “waters” and “blast” quickly.

Valiant Morrighan | Meifèng | Frostknight Morgana
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

It’s not as simple as “I don’t want to do it.”

I always recognize the commanders that do this on map and leave immediately. There are thankfully plenty of commanders on my server that are willing to work with me without teamspeak. And you know what? Those guys get the big crowds, every time.

It’s quite the contrary here on Maguuma. The typemanders don’t get more than 10 people and the commanders that throw around racial slurs in teamspeak get 50 on tag.

As for OP, think about it this way – the people on teamspeak will make more efficient use of the boons and heals than you would. So why, in pray tell, should you get boons/heals over them?

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

It’s quite the contrary here on Maguuma. The typemanders don’t get more than 10 people and the commanders that throw around racial slurs in teamspeak get 50 on tag.

The Maguuma I’m on it doesn’t appear to matter either way. Players hive mind and wipe the other groups with or without TS.

Although I’d rather not be in the same TS as a certain commander saying ‘dude’ every other word, dude.

P.S. even Jarvan performs better by not even speaking. Hue hue hue.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

(edited by Chinchilla.1785)

in WvW

apharma.3741

OK some of these are valid, like having children to watch after, commanders that bag on their players, etc. But nothing is stopping someone from joining the channel muted, giving it a try (because maybe you don’t know this commander, and simply joining is relatively effortless). You can’t say that because of 1 bad experience with some other commander that all commanders are inherently mean, just like you can’t say that all team speak users are crude and racist/sexist.

If we use the same logic as those generalizations that you provided, tags that want you in TS can say that the majority of people who refuse to join TS are worse than those who do, therefore there is no reason for them to put you in a comped subsquad. Additionally, arguing that it is a hassle to join TS produces an equal counter argument that not being able to tell your players what to do without stopping to type is just as much of a hassle.

If you have a commander you love following, work it out in PMs with them or try testing the waters by joining muted. I have seen many people do this, and listening is more important than speaking, nobody is asking for you to speak.

Also, nobody will know if you are a guy or a girl if you never talk and don’t upload an overly male/female ish avatar on TS. My server also had a Chilean guild and we saw a ton of English only speakers who followed them in TS because it is easy to over come the language barrier in gw2. You find a common ground to say “push” “regroup” “left” “right” “waters” and “blast” quickly.

The thing about the ones who are racist, sexist or generally rude is they often don’t think they are when really they’re alienating a lot of players. The people that don’t want to join TS because of the general rudeness, sexist remarks, racism whether mild or extreme aren’t doing so because this one time someone said something mean. They don’t join because more often than not they hear these remarks over and over again and decided their life is better off not hearing people. You don’t need TS to stick to the commander, push, regroup, blast, change direction etc, if you’ve ever done anything slightly organised you can read the situations and know where to be.

This isn’t about talking either, it’s about having to hear this rubbish while being on TS whether you talk or not.

I don’t generally join TS because having fought the server we are linked with I came to the conclusion they’re a bunch of immature players who happily gank others, spam emotes and bleed them out for no reason than to be salty. I don’t care if the commander has a voice like the smooth crooning of Frank Sinatra, I won’t join because I think they’re a bunch of kittenbags.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

You don’t need TS to stick to the commander, push, regroup, blast, change direction etc, if you’ve ever done anything slightly organised you can read the situations and know where to be.

Right. A player also doesn’t need to be in a squad to stick to a commander, push, regroup, blast, change directions, etc. either. Having pugged along following a tag without being in TS nor squad myself, I get the sense that OP is one of those players who would struggle even in a squad. You don’t get “no boons” and “no heals” at all if you’re zerging around and playing well and know where to be. There’s usually so much bleed-over from zerglings not being in position for their party boons. You may get less than if you were in a squad, at which point you can adjust your build/positioning/playstyle for more self-sustain.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You can always make your own group. Nothing dictates that you have to join a squad to follow anyone anyways.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Haematic.4913

Haematic.4913

I’m sick and tired of not being able to join a team because “they” want people to be in team speak, a 3rd party software used to communicate with each other. The people that don’t want to install the 3rd party software are being left out of the team and the boon sharing being denied. I have seen and experienced it first hand, if you are not in a team, you received a lot of damage because basically you are not getting any boons and heals.

• Put everyone on the same team upon entry to a wvw map and make it a choice to get out an create your own team. That way everyone gets boons and heals. This makes sense because we all are members of the same team. In pvp you don’t see 1 person running by itself and the other 4 in their own team.

OR

• Allow the TAG to create a separate party where only the people who are not in team speak are allocated so that they can benefit from the boons and heals from non team speak users.

Now, you might say: why not just create your own party with non-team speak users?
Well, you can do this, BUT it is highly inefficient because people constantly change maps and log off. Also, a lot of people don’t know how to join a group!

This has been my suggestion for WvW. I hope that you will implement something like this in the future to make WvW more efficient and user friendly.

So for your first proposal, that completely takes away the identity of guilds and groups that command on the map. Given the current health of WvW in general, the last thing you want to do is take away what identity servers, guilds, and pugmanders have in WvW.

Sometimes groups want the thrill of accomplishing feats without the interruptions of militia interfering with their goals as a roaming party, havok squad, public squad, or guild raid. Almost every server is making an effort to organize their militia better, so they have a better chance of winning fights, match-ups, and skirmishes.

An option that I’ve experience in a separate MMORG (EQ2) was a voice communication system that was integrated into the game itself, and it was available in raid instances I.E. WvW; this is a feature I could see working for you, and like minded individuals with this issue about joining a 3rd party VOIP application.

Your " -or- " proposal already exists and I see guilds and streamers utilize squad party 1 as the “militia / overflow” and lock the sub squads so they can’t move. Save up some gold and purchase a commander tag.

Speaking from experience, groups and commanders that require players to join 3rd party VOIP to join their squad yield better results in PPT, ZvZ, and response times.

If players are stuck in the mind set of treating WvW like PvE (open world/dungeons) where you don’t need that next level communication (because you’re not fighting NPCs with repeatable behavior) then you need to understand WvW is living and breathing entity and it’s driven by the decisions of players, not NPCs. This is why groups require that next level of communication I.E. TS3 or Discord, because otherwise you’ll find yourself at a disadvantage.

There are a few servers who can do well without the assistance of VOIP applications, but that’s because the players have a great understanding of WvW, have been trained, or have experienced that higher level gameplay from being in VOIP, guilds, or focus groups.

Fort Aspenwood – Haematic, Inclina Deus
http://youtube.com/haematic4913
http://twitch.tv/haematic

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

It is a complex problem and there is no great solution. Each server/commander has their own way to deal with the issues and we as players need to accept that.

Basically we have to decide if we want to listen to the “yammering” and be more engaged/included or not. There are pros and cons of both systems but nobody is getting their cake and eating it too on this topic.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

You can always mute/reduce volume if people you don’t want to hear as well.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

in WvW

Posted by: rez.8095

rez.8095

Just as you have a right not to get on teamspeak, those commanders and groups have a right to not let you join their squad. Basically, get the kitten over yourself. You dont get to tell them how to run their squads, if you dont like that they require ts or discord, go follow a group that doesnt require that.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

No it is not really inefficient. Your biggest complaint seems to be with regards to not getting boon share priority because you’re not in a commander’s squad. Boon share priority has been in the game far longer than the shiny new squad UI has. If you think objectively about this, boon sharing is limited to the number of targets on the individual skill as well as radius of the skill so simply being in a squad doesn’t always guarantee boons. The sub-squad you get placed in may have 15 people in it (only 5 of them are getting stability – that’s what’s inefficient) or the four other guys in your 5-man sub-squad are not within range. Moreover, and continuing to look at it objectively, any water fields you blast, even if they are put down by someone in a squad or party, are going to heal you first because you’re the one who activated the combo finisher. In conclusion, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from forming a 5-man non-TS party and reaping all the benefits of boon share priority in a guaranteed and efficient manner.

Incidentally, the fact that boon distribution is limited by the individual skill target limit and proximity is exactly why guilds/commanders want their players on VOIP, to coordinate activation of those skills in the most efficient manner.

Chaba Tangnu

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

OR

For starter, that is a selfish request, not any different from the people you are blaming.

I will start with your first paragraph, in your perspective you can say you are tired of blah blah blah. In their perspective, they can say they are tired of people not getting on ts3. It can goes both way. For your justifications, those are not worthy justification. Unless the reason is physical limitation like being deaf or no speaker or headphone or earphone or sound card spoilt or whatever, then is worthy justification. Your justification is just personal preference and that is deemed as ego which not any different from the ts3 group.

As mentioned, it is a selfish request and your suggestion is to solve your selfish needs while disregarding others’ rights.

The rest are poor reasoning.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Chetumal.5784

Chetumal.5784

1. Don’t speak the same language. – I think english is the most spoken language on international servers.

2. If you have to listen to children, don’t play a game, take care of your children for gods sake.

3. Deliveries – Mute the Ts

4. Currently on TS with friends – pay attention to friends.

5. Commander is crude – Don’t be a kitten

6. I don’t believe that the ppl. on TS are acting like this all the time 60 min an hour.

7. Don’t believe that and why would you like to be in a group with them? For the boones?

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

I, too, am offended by people who burp on teamspeak.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Kinda agree that the whole TS thing is blown out of proportion as a must, especially these days.

I’ve ran with two guilds who had some very strict leaders who would use silent driving as a form of training or punishment. No words were spoken and it was up to you to learn your skills and keep the guild alive. Sounds weird but you become very aware of what skills you are blowing and using.

It’s pretty amazing what you can do when you focus and put yourself in a hyperawareness state of mind. It certainly taught me what to look for and identify what 99% of my guildies were doing during fights and to not be selfish with my utilities. It created “sharing is caring”

Not to sound high horsey, but because of that style of training I’m usually the last to die if the group I’m running in gets annihilated. Rarely am I in teamspeak.

You should just know what to do and these HoT builds make you near bulletproof at times.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

The Maguuma I’m on it doesn’t appear to matter either way. Players hive mind and wipe the other groups with or without TS.

Although I’d rather not be in the same TS as a certain commander saying ‘dude’ every other word, dude.

Oh because this is supposed to be a game where we’re all on the same team?

Being non-inclusive only limits, not engages.

I’m not on TS, yet when I do blob, I’m usually one of the last standing. Why? Because I have learned my class composition that I can follow without having my hand held.

I get that it’s a useful tool. I can’t use it for medical reasons. But you’d be down a very dedicated and accurate player if you pulled that stuff on me. Thankfully it’s not an issue on my server. Which kind of makes me appreciate everyone who plays on it.

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

Only the second point I see as a good reason. That or being deaf.

If you don’t speak the same language, there is a much bigger teamwork problem than not having VoIP. Being in TS/Skype with other friends is your choice. I personally have a few keybinds so I may talk with friends in private servers and talk in the main channel at the same time. Having a rude commander, I assume he would boot you anyways at some point. You thinking people are being disgusting, or being a female on the Internet (not that anyone has to know. You could just listen…) is just you being a picky little kitten.

As far as why you don’t want to give the best comps to people who aren’t in comms; composition goes beyond just classes and builds. The group’s ability to communicate is just as important to any composition as a build or class. So if there are a group of people that would make a good class comp AND are in VoIP, they will be grouped. As for people not in VoIP, they are the last picks.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

apharma.3741

If you don’t speak the same language, there is a much bigger teamwork problem than not having VoIP. Being in TS/Skype with other friends is your choice. I personally have a few keybinds so I may talk with friends in private servers and talk in the main channel at the same time. Having a rude commander, I assume he would boot you anyways at some point. You thinking people are being disgusting, or being a female on the Internet (not that anyone has to know. You could just listen…) is just you being a picky little kitten.

As far as why you don’t want to give the best comps to people who aren’t in comms; composition goes beyond just classes and builds. The group’s ability to communicate is just as important to any composition as a build or class. So if there are a group of people that would make a good class comp AND are in VoIP, they will be grouped. As for people not in VoIP, they are the last picks.

I guess you’ve never played in EU where there can be at least 5 different languages being used at the same time in map/team chat. That’s without mentioning as I say a lot of people do not speak the same language in EU, there are many single language only guilds and they do go into WvW and follow the public commander too.

Fun fact: Used to know a guy who would regularly eat food chewing loud and sloppily on TS as he didn’t use push to talk while shouting at his mum. Wasn’t a pleasant experience and he single handedly drove everyone off teamspeak whenever he came on.

As I say there are reasons why people would not want to join TS but it doesn’t mean the commander should stick 4 guards and a war in a party while you have 2 necros, 2 eles and a ranger who could do with the guards being split up to give better support coverage.

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

OR

NO and NO. If you don’t or can’t want to use TS, then why should a commander allow you on his team? That is the point of TS or any voice comms, to really coordinate better.

I propose, those not in Voice comms, to be pushed out of WvW maps to either EotM or OS. That way, the players who are REALLY coordinating get in.

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

The thing about the ones who are racist, sexist or generally rude is they often don’t think they are when really they’re alienating a lot of players. The people that don’t want to join TS because of the general rudeness, sexist remarks, racism whether mild or extreme aren’t doing so because this one time someone said something mean. They don’t join because more often than not they hear these remarks over and over again and decided their life is better off not hearing people. You don’t need TS to stick to the commander, push, regroup, blast, change direction etc, if you’ve ever done anything slightly organised you can read the situations and know where to be.

This isn’t about talking either, it’s about having to hear this rubbish while being on TS whether you talk or not.

I don’t generally join TS because having fought the server we are linked with I came to the conclusion they’re a bunch of immature players who happily gank others, spam emotes and bleed them out for no reason than to be salty. I don’t care if the commander has a voice like the smooth crooning of Frank Sinatra, I won’t join because I think they’re a bunch of kittenbags.

If those remarks are not intentionally inflammatory, maybe it’s time to grow a thicker skin. You know, despite what some splinters of society and certain blogs are trying to make you believe, you do not have a duty to take offense.

in WvW

Posted by: Monster.4802

Monster.4802

Fair point.
Im a commander in the game and I ask people to join TS as much as possible.

I often do guild raids that are open to people that join TS. Only if you join TS you get to be in the squad.

Open raids are different, I want many on TS but if that wont work then so be it. (let me tell you that winning a 30vs30 blob fight with 1 team on TS and the other is not.. the ones not on TS lose most of the time)

But to come to the raids where I tell people to join TS or they wont get a spot in the squad. Im not running open. People can chose to make a new squad and run like that (I run max 15 people so plenty of room for an actual open tag). The beauty of WvW is that there is something for everyone. If you dont like to join TS for a commander… how badly do you want to be with that person….? If that style does not favor you then find someone else that will accept you in the group. Or even make your own group, tag up.

There is nothing stopping you to make your own tag and run with people that wont be on TS.

The fact I experience is that when you have a team that is on TS of equal skill of another team that is not on TS. The TS team will win most of the fights. Most commanders dont want to lose and therefore ask for people to join TS and at least have a way to win.

in WvW

Posted by: Satori.7260

Satori.7260

Seriously, you are wasting people’s queue time. Go play something other than WvW or GW2 for that matter if you can’t handle listening to a commander on TS.

in WvW

apharma.3741

If those remarks are not intentionally inflammatory, maybe it’s time to grow a thicker skin. You know, despite what some splinters of society and certain blogs are trying to make you believe, you do not have a duty to take offense.

Well it depends, there’s some that don’t consider certain racial slurs offensive some do. The point I’m making is that if those sort of comments do offend you then not joining teamspeak is a good way to not infringe on their ability to say it while you get to not be bothered by it. The problem is that (in the case of an open tag) these players who are not on team speak get put in what I would call a junk party while there are plenty of support classes available to make well rounded parties for all.

We all know a necro is a lot more effective when they can get guardian boons and might but if you aren’t on TS the commander will often chuck all necros in one party and complain when they get CC’d to death.

That is without mentioning as Jayne said, some have medical reasons why they can’t be on teamspeak and no that doesn’t just mean deaf.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Just to mention another case where TS isn’t always viable. My hearing is a bit odd, and I have trouble hearing certain frequencies, not enough to really cause any problems in daily life, but I have to concentrate to pay attention to people talking, or it just becomes a background noise. Also, I’m sensitive to loud or mass of noises.

So to listen to someone in TS I need to use a headset and set the volume up to a normal level. This gives me a headache in about 30-60 minutes. I solve this by not bothering with TS most of the time. I’ll join sometimes when guild gets together, but largely end up just skipping it.

I also play with a deaf friend often

Thankfully the guilds I’m in doesn’t mind, and lets me do whatever. And this is also another part of the reason why I’ve preferred roaming to zerging.

Also regarding the “if you got kids, look after the kids and don’t play games!” Well if you got the kid sleeping, and have the baby alarm on, you might have to run out the moment you hear the kid cry etc. Perspective and Circumstances, they’re different for every single person.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

It is possible to play effectively without teamspeak but hearing commands is advantageous whether some people want to admit it or not. Instant communication will always be better than written because you can’t always type while in combat and you won’t always read.

Some people can operate just fine without teamspeak and can even do better than those who are using it depending on the person(s). They still won’t know exactly what the commander is saying if they aren’t using chat however so no matter how good they are without TS, there will always be times they miss crucial information.

I agree with those who are saying that it’s silly and frustrating to be dumped in the junk groups just because you’re not on TS but commanders don’t have the time to evaluate each players individual level of skill. Being on TS shouldn’t be an automatic pass to get a squad invite and a proper sub-group either but again, they will have the advantage of knowing what the commander is saying where the players who are not in TS won’t.

Putting players in proper sub-groups with those who are in TS and those who are not is what commander’s should do but 99% of them won’t. To clarify since I explained that poorly – Create proper sub groups for the ones not in TS instead of dumping them all in trash groups. Put all the ones who aren’t in TS in the same groups and make them proper comps instead of having one huge 10+ person sub group of randoms just because said people aren’t in TS.

There are any number of reasons some people won’t/can’t use TS and no one should be blamed for it. That said, those players need to accept that it does add an important layer of co-ordination and detesting it won’t make that fact not true. Commander’s should learn to treat people who don’t use it with respect instead of acting like they’re all trash and people who don’t use it should stop acting like they’re too good for it.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

(edited by SpellOfIniquity.1780)

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

If you don’t like someones playstyle and behavior, why would they be forced to like yours?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

The thicker skin argument is a strawman.

It’s an excuse for crappy behaviour. Period.

Why not try not being adults?

in WvW

Chaba.5410

@OP

Here’s another solution! Works in PvE so should work in WvW too.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Do-commanders-sell-squad-participation

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

You can play GW2, including WvW, with ALL communication switched off if you want. Don’t limit it to not joining voice channels – switch off map, party, squad, say, team and all the rest of the channels. That way you get GW2 all to yourself as a solo RPG with some NPCs with really good AI.

Try it sometime. it’s very relaxing.

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

I guess you’ve never played in EU where there can be at least 5 different languages being used at the same time in map/team chat. That’s without mentioning as I say a lot of people do not speak the same language in EU, there are many single language only guilds and they do go into WvW and follow the public commander too.

Fun fact: Used to know a guy who would regularly eat food chewing loud and sloppily on TS as he didn’t use push to talk while shouting at his mum. Wasn’t a pleasant experience and he single handedly drove everyone off teamspeak whenever he came on.

As I say there are reasons why people would not want to join TS but it doesn’t mean the commander should stick 4 guards and a war in a party while you have 2 necros, 2 eles and a ranger who could do with the guards being split up to give better support coverage.

Even way back in the day when NA and sea were working more hand in hand, players on both sides could pick out commonly used words. Simple one to two word commands that could be figured out just by watching what the zerg did in response. Language barriers are not a new problem. As for the sloppy eater, he should have been reported to an admin, or kicked by a moderator. If they aren’t doing there job, they shouldn’t be the ones running the VoIP server.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Because they can’t help themselves.

There’s too many players joining in the conversation of who can be the most disgusting or offensive in teamspeak because after all, they’ll fit in like an episode of sweet valley high.

Then you have you drivers, screaming into teamspeak blaming players instead of identifying what the team or guild could have done better during a fight when parties would not appropriately set up in the first place. Heard too many good players driven off teamspeak because for some reason one player apparently lost an entire fight. Highly doubtful.

amphrama hits it best, people don’t want to hear this trash in TS. Just a bunch of kids with access to a mic at the end of the day.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

You can play GW2, including WvW, with ALL communication switched off if you want. Don’t limit it to not joining voice channels – switch off map, party, squad, say, team and all the rest of the channels. That way you get GW2 all to yourself as a solo RPG with some NPCs with really good AI.

Try it sometime. it’s very relaxing.

Just had to comment on this one, since I’ve been playing some Aion last weeks, and found that you can disable chats, disable name tags over their heads, and there is even a shortcut button to disable drawing their avatars. At that point, you can’t see another player at all. Kinda liked it, until I clicked one by random, and nearly jumped out of my chair thought I had seen a ghost or something!

(That and you can still see monsters being attacked, and they block nodes).

But yeah, this would create all kinds of new paranoia levels in WvW though…

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Why is everyone trying to discuss this with this guy? The simple answer is. If you want to join a commanders squad. Then you have to abide by his/her rules. If one of the rules is you must be at least listening on TS. Then that is the rules of that commander who is leading that squad. You don’t like them fine. Then make your own squad with your own rules.

I mean come on, you can not even sound more of a self entitled prick then you are right now OP. Like really man. Why now just tell ANet that, they should force other players to play with you because it is your demand. And if those players refuse to play with you then ANet should just perma ban their accounts, for not playing with you.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Oh because this is supposed to be a game where we’re all on the same team?

Being non-inclusive only limits, not engages.

I’m not on TS, yet when I do blob, I’m usually one of the last standing. Why? Because I have learned my class composition that I can follow without having my hand held.

I get that it’s a useful tool. I can’t use it for medical reasons. But you’d be down a very dedicated and accurate player if you pulled that stuff on me. Thankfully it’s not an issue on my server. Which kind of makes me appreciate everyone who plays on it.

Sounds more like a case of positioning yourself properly according to the situation at hand, which every single player should learn to do.

I also don’t go on server TS the majority of the time because I’m usually in voice chat with friends. Lots of times I see zergs go down in front of me when I’m on the backline, but then again, I’m on the backline, where it’s safer than having to run in as frontline and soaking all the damage and cc. But I feel like I can read situations by just looking at movements, you don’t always have to be ON the commander, just need to read the situation and position properly for the fight.

The only area I really think needs to be on TS is frontline, as the majority of calls from the commander are for frontline around them, with all the quick changes in movement and strategy, the call for stability and heal blasting, frontline needs to be on the ball more than those in mid or backline. Sometimes it is tough to run as backline with some groups because you don’t know if they’re going to push through, or just a mid push and run back, do you push right through with them? or push and get stuck in the middle of bombs when they turn around? Listening in TS helps with situations like that.

When you get on TS you only need to listen, you don’t need to talk, the commander just wants you to be on the same page as them.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

And if you know that the group you are running is too annoying to run with on comms, then just don’t join their squad. You can still assist, but you won’t be running with them.

If one still wants their precious boon share, then why not get some friends? Your own party guarantees consistency. If the group is just spamming invites to random pugs, it’s not like the boon sharing will be good. It can actually do more harm than good when you realize that random guardian isn’t actually running anything useful. It really only works when you know what people are running beforehand, and playing the guessing game is at best this. Sometimes, I will join a semi-organized squad and am forced to run my own movement boosts because it can’t even properly generate swiftness.

This isn’t true when you run with familiar people.

I’d bet 2 copper ore that boon share is not going to reduce the chances OP will die. It might even get worse.

Sure, you can definitely join a zerg not on comms and do well. But sometimes the group will attempt some more elaborate movements and you sticking your head out can cause problems. And also, “staying alive” isn’t actually a good metric for your own efficiency. Yea, it may put you in the 90th percentile for pugs not wiping in the first 10s, but it doesn’t mean you could have contributed as much you could have to the fight. For example, I can do a DD/Acro/Trick thief build in full tank gear or something and never die. Does that mean I was useful or even desirable to have in a group? That depends. If I was stomping and CC’ing people out of position maybe. But if I ding at people with a shortbow and teleport away at the first sign of danger? Not as much. Not dying is only a tiny metric in this case.

For example, some commanders have the annoying tendency to boast about them being still alive after the zerg wipes. Well, yea, maybe the 10-15 people that wasted their defensive abilities to res/heal/clease you and might have died doing so instead of running away could have mattered! I can guarantee you that the next time things go south, I’m swapping to my GS, and leaving.

Point is, there’s a difference between playing for the group, and playing for yourselves. I can’t even say I fit into the later that much, so just think for a second why any organized group would want the later that much as much as tolerate them.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

If you arent willing to listen or contribute then you arent going to be given benefis

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

(edited by TheHeretic.3529)

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

This thread is why guilds have asked for private guild tags that only guild members can see on the map for a very long time.

Bull kitten. Those guilds wanted private tags so they could turn the borderlands into their very own private Guild vs Guild arenas. Thank god ANet had enough sense not to abide you guys. And anyway GvG is done, dead & buried and eulogy forgotten.

(edited by Hexalot.8194)

in WvW

Chaba.5410

Bull kitten. Those guilds wanted private tags so they could turn the borderlands into their very own private Guild vs Guild arenas. Thank god ANet had enough sense not to abide you guys. And anyway GvG is done, dead & buried and eulogy forgotten.

Neither experience is false. Those same GvG guilds ran tagless anyway and pugs still found them on map so what’s the difference?

Guess what? A visible tag can attract so many random players not in squad sometimes that fight quality starts to degrade for everyone as the servers struggle to keep up and skill lag hits then everyone comes here to this forum and complains about blobbing and lag.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Chaba.5410

OK, here’s how to be adult:

So people don’t want to be in TS because they don’t like what is said. Exactly. Players in guilds that get on TS do so for more reasons than just fight coordination. They also socialize with each other. Not every Tom, kitten, and Harry is going to get along. If you’re not going to fit in socially with a guild on TS, we don’t want you on TS with us either nor reading our squad chat. It makes for bad social situations. Have you considered that some “adult” guilds are 18+ or have requirements such as “mature player”? Is someone going to complain that adults are in the wrong because the game is 13+ so it is unfair that we don’t allow players under 18 to join when the chat is inappropriate? Adults know they have choices with who they socialize and play with and don’t need to be making demands to be included in something that isn’t going to mesh in the first place.

Chaba Tangnu

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

One main reason to use TS that I have seen, is to be able to coordinate a map without a spy seeing what is typed in map chat. TS allows the server admins to properly vet a user (well, within limits – am sure some spies slip through).

Never had an issue I’ve ever heard on NSP. Maybe OP should switch to a more mature server. I think our average age is 40+