Many think that T8 rankings are broken

in WvW

Posted by: Ynot.8397

Ynot.8397

I am starting this thread because for some reason(I really have no idea) the last thread about this was moved to suggestions and then locked(no one even cursed each other out). If anyone would like to check out the original thread here original thread it is.

The best solution in the thread to fixing this problem was as follows: T8 rating need a floor so that if something happens that would cause the rating to drop to an obnoxious level(like they currently are) it doesn’t take months for servers with T7 potential to get out. We need the rating floor because when servers like Kaineng and DR launched themselves out of T8 they took a lot of the points with them(Ferg had 1000 score in October and were down to 653 by the time they left). This caused the T8 rankings to drop down so low that unless the server that drops in wins by a ton, they lose points.

Please keep in mind

1. Almost no one thinks that the ratings need to be reset to fix this, just bumped up a bit for T8.
  2. We realize that T8 has a population that doesn’t WvW as much as the higher tiers, but that doesn’t mean we should be ignored.
  3. People are leaving T8 now because we have been stuck with teams like Sorrow’s, Devona’s, and Kaineng for months and people are tired
  4. NO ONE blames Sorrow’s for our mess. It could have been any other server that caused this problem.

Please, no trolling. If you don’t think T8 needs to be fixed give a reason why. Don’t come in here thinking you know our situation unless you have at least read on it. Maybe check out that post above if you have some time or at the very least, check the scores from the past month and a half here millenium score history.

Thanks!

Ferguson’s Crossing→ SoS→ DR→ EBay

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

It’s not only T8. WvW in general needs to be fixed so snowballing matches are the exception, not the norm.

From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t take a big difference in population to have a big effect (over time) on the match. And then moral does the rest.

Since paid transfers are over, we’re still seeing very disproportionate and disapointing matches. What if, for example, the outnumbered team(s) with less players get some powerful roaming AI that could take their camps or escourt dolyaks. Stronger walls, doors, higher damage modifier to their anti-personal siege weapons, etc…

I wonder if Anet is even interested in balancing matches or is it ‘working as intended’?

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

(edited by Zephyrus.9680)

in WvW

Ynot.8397

It would be cool if we got things that only affected camps. But if we got those it would have to be after a consistent out manned buff. Maybe something like 45 min to an hour in and the ai comes out. Or maybe something as simple as a few extra guards for out manned servers. I’m not sure how I feel about breakout style events. Those seem almost cheaty to me. We’ll see what they plan on doing to fix it with the next months update though. I hope it can balance some of the population imbalances somehow.

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

I’m not sure how I feel about breakout style events. Those seem almost cheaty to me.

I love them AND hate them. When “Server A” has 100% of their own borderlands, 100% of EB, and most of “Server B”, there is no way in heck that they should be able to start a breakout event in “Server C”.

Server B however should be able to start a breakout event in Server A’s lands.

in WvW

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I’m not sure how I feel about breakout style events. Those seem almost cheaty to me.

I love them AND hate them. When “Server A” has 100% of their own borderlands, 100% of EB, and most of “Server B”, there is no way in heck that they should be able to start a breakout event in “Server C”.

Humourously enough, I had a thread going about that mechanic. Unfortunately, it vanished into the hinterlands of the forum. I definitely agree – breakouts should be
used as a play-field leveller, not an extra stomp when you’re already kicking the fluffy kitten outta 2 other servers.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Agree 100%.

The only way a break out event mess should be started is if some server is a set number of points behind the other one or two servers.

Not a few hundred points or something silly either.

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

in WvW

Posted by: FilthyRat.4652

FilthyRat.4652

Wait yet another post about T8 and how everyone agrees that the system has been broken since the launch of the game.

Barodd-80 W/Kremklin-80 Me/Dokast-80 Nec
Nine Divines (ND)
Sorrow’s Furnace

in WvW

Advent.6193

Wait yet another post about T8 and how everyone agrees that the system has been broken since the launch of the game.

I’ve refrained from saying anything to you as of yet, since I’m not a fan of drama – real or virtual – but, seriously. It’s a known fact that you disagree with the concept stated above. That is fine, I am a firm believer in free choice. But do you have to be nasty about it?

(I would think that even an SF person would be somewhat tired of the ratings vacuum
between T8 and T7, considering that your folk could easily have moved up a tier, if
our three servers were in anywhere but T8.)

With that said, the only – and indeed, honest – reason these threads continue to propagate is simple: besides thread moderation and movement, there has been no
Dev acknowledgement of a problem existing. That’s all people really want. Even a
“Yes, we’re aware of it.” would go a long way towards mollifying wounded pride on
all sides.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

The key element I never notice being discussed when this topic comes up is…. would being matched with any server other than SF actually be.. better?

Ignoring flaws in how the ratings function, wouldn’t any other match-up be arguably much worse for ET/FC?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

FilthyRat.4652

I’ve refrained from saying anything to you as of yet, since I’m not a fan of drama – real or virtual – but, seriously. It’s a known fact that you disagree with the concept stated above. That is fine, I am a firm believer in free choice. But do you have to be nasty about it?

(I would think that even an SF person would be somewhat tired of the ratings vacuum
between T8 and T7, considering that your folk could easily have moved up a tier, if

With that said, the only – and indeed, honest – reason these threads continue to propagate is simple: besides thread moderation and movement, there has been no
Dev acknowledgement of a problem existing. That’s all people really want. Even a
“Yes, we’re aware of it.” would go a long way towards mollifying wounded pride on
all sides.

If you read the posts from other servers it is making our tier look bad when there are two threads a week about the issue. Not sure how I was being nasty….I have agreed with this about 50 times already and think everyone on every other server has too. I’m pretty sure Anet has seen read all the posts too…since they moved the other threads. They have come out and said they weren’t doing anything yet about it yet.

Nine Divines (ND)
Sorrow’s Furnace

in WvW

Advent.6193

The key element I never notice being discussed when this topic comes up is…. would being matched with any server other than SF actually be.. better?

Ignoring flaws in how the ratings function, wouldn’t any other match-up be arguably much worse for ET/FC?

That is a valid question. However, ET/FC are – by the inherent wonkiness of the Glicko 2 system – being kept from even finding out. Honestly, when SF has possessed nigh-absolute dominion of the Tier for almost – IIRC- 2 months straight, and – due to
the aforementioned Ratings Abyss between 8/7 – has not moved up to 7, then it is
obvious that something is incorrect in the calculations. They. Have. More. Than. Proven. Their. Might. Is it then proper to keep them down here, festering? I – and many others – would say that no, it is not.

in WvW

Advent.6193

If you read the posts from other servers it is making our tier look bad when there are two threads a week about the issue. Not sure how I was being nasty….I have agreed with this about 50 times already and think everyone on every other server has too. I’m pretty sure Anet has seen read all the posts too…since they moved the other threads. They have come out and said they weren’t doing anything yet about it yet.

Fair, and illustrates a certain problem with text communication. The phrasing, tbh, is what made me think “WTF?” I’m adult enough to admit that as my screw-up. Your point on # of postings also – in a calmer light – does make fair sense. Worst part is, we can’t even guarantee that if guesting/paid transfers had have been in game on Day 1, this situation may not have still existed.

in WvW

FilthyRat.4652

Well here is scoreboard and screen shot of match right now…but it keeps being said we field T5 numbers.

Attachments:

Nine Divines (ND)
Sorrow’s Furnace

in WvW

FilthyRat.4652

Fair, and illustrates a certain problem with text communication. The phrasing, tbh, is what made me think “WTF?” I’m adult enough to admit that as my screw-up. Your point on # of postings also – in a calmer light – does make fair sense. Worst part is, we can’t even guarantee that if guesting/paid transfers had have been in game on Day 1, this situation may not have still existed.

I know I have been in plenty of bad match-ups…and wished they did do something a long time ago. With that being said they did put in paid transfers and was going to reset the servers, so I am hoping they do do something soon. I just feel like in so many threads people think we don’t agree with them.

Nine Divines (ND)
Sorrow’s Furnace

in WvW

Ynot.8397

all sides.

Just posting it again because it got moved to that abyss called the suggestion forums and for some reason got locked there. I’ll bring it up until the devs choose to do something.

in WvW

Posted by: Detharos.3157

Detharos.3157

Sad thing is our prime forces are like 10 – 15 players… and 1 – 3 guilds. At one point tonight we had 0 supply 0 towers in all BL. We just get Zerged from both sides. And we start week strong and always end up about 100,000 behind due to no late night presence and zerg vs 15 – 20 of us.

Heck, just now Darkhaven’s zerg split into 4 groups and they’re smallest zerg group had more than we had in entire zone.

No offense to HoD, and this is just one player so I’m sure its not the full story. And even if it were, it would be a matter of populations going inactive during hard periods, just like we’re suffering at this time.

Nevertheless according to the numbers presented in this post, HoD sounds even weaker than FC and ET, and by a very large margin.

Dathaul, 80 Melee Ranger
Ferguson’s Crossing server.

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

Well here is scoreboard and screen shot of match right now…but it keeps being said we field T5 numbers.

“Greater numbers” is not necessarily synonymous with “greater skill” .

I’d really love to see some sort of stats that tell us EXACTLY how many people are playing on any given server at any given time. Or heck, even an average would be fine. (Are these numbers available and I’ve just missed them?). It would put a lot of the “numbers conversation” to rest one way or another.

My evidence is purely anecdotal, but when I’m in WvW in the evening/night time frame, it appears we’re outnumbered significantly in ET.

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

all sides.

Yes Anet has said that. So people will continue to bring it up to them, until they listen to their customer base and do something about the issue…that’s how it works lol.

IMO Anet is not the best company out there in responding to clear feedback on issues. ..they certainly take their servers down a lot of these minor “upgrades” but never address any real issues. I will continue to speak up and continue to, until they address the issues or a new game comes out (ESO maybe) that has a WvW component that is done better….right now its one of the better things out there…so they can get away with this shoddiness…as soon as a competitor shows up they better get their kitten straight… lol

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

FilthyRat.4652

all sides.

Yes Anet has said that. So people will continue to bring it up to them, until they listen to their customer base and do something about the issue…that’s how it works lol.

IMO Anet is not the best company out there in responding to clear feedback on issues. ..they certainly take their servers down a lot of these minor “upgrades” but never address any real issues. I will continue to speak up and continue to, until they address the issues or a new game comes out (ESO maybe) that has a WvW component that is done better….right now its one of the better things out there…so they can get away with this shoddiness…as soon as a competitor shows up they better get their kitten straight… lol

ESO has sign-up for beta now, almost signed up the other day. Yeah I played SWTOR and believed everything they told me as I stayed on a dead server for months….then BAM, stuck us on Fat Man with all the geared people that were able to pvp everyday, while we had to scrape a match or two if we were lucky. After that have little faith in what people say, plus there was a post somewhere where they gave reasons why they don’t release the numbers. (if I find it will post it)

Here we go found it..was in another thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/196tgh/jeuxonlineinfo_made_an_interview_with_mike

Nine Divines (ND)
Sorrow’s Furnace

(edited by FilthyRat.4652)

in WvW

Ynot.8397

all sides.

ESO has sign-up for beta now, almost signed up the other day. Yeah I played SWTOR and believed everything they told me as I stayed on a dead server for months….then BAM, stuck us on Fat Man with all the geared people that were able to pvp everyday, while we had to scrape a match or two if we were lucky. After that have little faith in what people say, plus there was a post somewhere where they gave reasons why they don’t release the numbers. (if I find it will post it)

Here we go found it..was in another thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/196tgh/jeuxonlineinfo_made_an_interview_with_mike

I honestly wish he would release the numbers. So what if people know? I truly don’t think there will be any sort of backlash that they haven’t already seen from people. What are they going to do, complain about queues?

in WvW

FilthyRat.4652

Another thing that bugs me is you can’t even see when the last time people in your guild have logged in….seems kinda strange. Almost like they don’t want people to see all the players that aren’t playing. It’s not like other games where people could just jump to another server and start there without anyone noticing.

Nine Divines (ND)
Sorrow’s Furnace

(edited by FilthyRat.4652)

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

first, ill say i think a soft reset in combination with a rating floor (and ceiling tbh) would go a long way in smoothing out the rating gap and preventing recurrence while not screwing around with current pairings. implementation of the floor/ ceiling could take significant programmer resources, but realistically a soft reset should take no more than a couple hours to hash out and would be a short term fix until the longer term floor / ceiling can be afforded a bit of attention.

secondly, ill leave this here:

track man hours put into wvw for each server

make transfer fees to servers with over average man hours totally obnoxious
make transfer fees to servers with under average man hours low / nonexistent (or “pay” people to transfer in)

put in a feedback cycle for low fee servers – have it act similar to gems<->gold where transfer fees spike (but more drastically) when lots of people transfer in in short periods of time (prevents supermassive transfers, set the bar high enough for reasonably large guilds so they dont have issues).

if rewarding players for transferring to undermanned servers:
track hours they spend in wvw and hours spent playing. if you have a certain % spent in wvw after 2-3 weeks, give the reward. dont tell people what your quota is so they dont try to abuse cheap/free transfers to unbalance servers.

once average man hours in wvw per server levels out, make transfer fees less obnoxious, but keep the price spike system in place to prevent regression to the current problematic state.

thirdly, why was the ill-fated thread closed without explanation?

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: SniffyCube.6107

SniffyCube.6107

I really appreciate you reviving this topic. I had lost the energy to keep up with the constant censoring of the subject.

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Posted by: Spica.9308

Spica.9308

The only problem is the upper tiers suck up all our points when some servers moved up Tier 2 and Tier 5. Now can all the upper tiers servers donate points to Tier 8 pls. Anyway if something comes up again they’d be collecting all our points again. Both servers left behind will have like 500-600 ratings that’s the problem.

in WvW

Posted by: XxNuggetxX.7823

XxNuggetxX.7823

Sad thing is our prime forces are like 10 – 15 players… and 1 – 3 guilds. At one point tonight we had 0 supply 0 towers in all BL. We just get Zerged from both sides. And we start week strong and always end up about 100,000 behind due to no late night presence and zerg vs 15 – 20 of us.

Heck, just now Darkhaven’s zerg split into 4 groups and they’re smallest zerg group had more than we had in entire zone.

No offense to HoD, and this is just one player so I’m sure its not the full story. And even if it were, it would be a matter of populations going inactive during hard periods, just like we’re suffering at this time.

Nevertheless according to the numbers presented in this post, HoD sounds even weaker than FC and ET, and by a very large margin.

FULLY AGREE!

Im not sure what happened to ET but they got a number blast over the last week. As i am in the devoted Ferg’s nite crew i am aware of the numbers on at US 2-7 am and some T7-T6 servers may be shocked at what we field at most time.

FC 2-7am is our low point and i generaly pull 10-20 ppl to follow me on nite runs. (if the going get tough i ask for more ppl from BS to help, insta 10 more ppl- good thing about being in the devoted nite crew)

ET has 25-35 recently, due to (among other factors) a FC guild getting fedup and transferring there.

SF genrally has like 10 on at all times but some sort of alarm system. if we push to hard 50 jump into WvW to push back. mostly CoSA.

Now, i do agree i dont know how we would fair against HOD or GOM if they came down but i know that at least 60% of our total WvW force is doing non WvW activity because they are over it.

if we got HOD or GOM i think ppl would jump back in WvW simply because we are not fighting SF. then watch as ET and FC SMASH whoever comes down, simply because we will have a small self-esteem boost.

I am a firm believer in implamenting a floor at say 900-950 on the rating this will rocket SF out of T8 and get a go in T7. If SF lose Badly and fall back into T8 then at least we know they deserve to be here. if they keep doubling our points each week and loosing 50 rating due to there being no floor on the rating system they more ppl in ET/FC and even SF will stop playing WvW. Making a already bad problem even worse.

XnuggetX: 80 Engineer – Nuggetxxx: 80 Gardian
Bloody Swagmen[BS], Fergs Night Crew.
Senior Member, Commander Tag.

(edited by XxNuggetxX.7823)

in WvW

SniffyCube.6107

no… no we didn’t get any “numbers blast” … it’s more of a second wind and a lot of fc players leaving

you getting weaker is not us getting stronger, it’s just us capitalizing on your lack of coverage to devour extra points and coast into 2nd place.

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

XxNuggetxX.7823

no… no we didn’t get any “numbers blast” … it’s more of a second wind and a lot of fc players leaving

you getting weaker is not us getting stronger, it’s just us capitalizing on your lack of coverage to devour extra points and coast into 2nd place.

Yes you are mostly correct but i know for a fact ET coverage has improved. we FC nite crew could PvDoor ET begining of last week, Now we are meeting 20 defenders at the same time. even SF has noticed ET nite crew amassing over the last week.

in WvW

Posted by: pulsecodesgnl.3470

pulsecodesgnl.3470

Yeah fwiw, I’ve been talking to a few guilds that used to WvW frequently (aka daily) and they’ve pretty much given up to do other things, it became too boring in WvW with nothing to do, the majority of the quality that was associated with taking the map quickly was replaced by PvE bandwagoner’s that came in to troll not only the enemies (FC/ET) but other SF players.

The griefing and in-fighting just isn’t worth sitting in WvW with nothing to do. Especially when the chance of moving up requires us to have consistent blow outs for a month or two to even have a chance at moving up a tier.

That being said, it definitely seems like ET has been manning more people, later in the day and into the night. I’ve never had culling bomb problems as late as I did last night from ET, it was interesting.

I’m not sure where my feelings are on the status of tier 8 at the moment. I think it’s great that ET/FC are doing better and stepping up a bit, but it’s really disheartening that SF just doesn’t care anymore so you guys are left with trolls, and mindless zergs.

Yeah, there still are a few good guild groups/commanders out in the field, but they don’t have the quality people to work with anymore to get things done, nor are they sticking around on the battlefield as long as they used to.

Voxtr | Svell | Kvikr | Svass | Sundr | Naud | Kvedja | Traust
Sorrow’s Furnace – Commander/Officer
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

in WvW

insanemaniac.2456

The only problem is the upper tiers suck up all our points when some servers moved up Tier 2 and Tier 5. Now can all the upper tiers servers donate points to Tier 8 pls. Anyway if something comes up again they’d be collecting all our points again. Both servers left behind will have like 500-600 ratings that’s the problem.

if you look at match history the points have been like this for a lot longer than the rise of those 2 servers… its been a problem for longer than since ferg was bouncing between t7 and t8.

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

A simple fix to this would be that the further a server moves in score(not tier) away from 1500 the more their score is auto adjusted. This doesn’t have to and shouldn’t be by a large amount. For every 100 points away from 1500 you lose/gain 1-3 rating points per week for example. The effect of this would be that after weeks of endless draws and identical matches you would have a chance at fighting different servers. If this happens and your not an even match for those servers then they simply floor you or you floor them.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Just give everyone in T8 a score of 1 014.736 (-1 of HoD’s 1 014.737, the last place of T7) on reset. Then whoever wins T8 next week will move up to T7, and replaced whoever losses T7.

I am from Kaineng and I don’t care if all 3 teams in T8 gets free points.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in WvW

Posted by: Harbinger.9645

Harbinger.9645

I am from Kaineng…

Sorry to hear that.

Cynaptix-Mesmer(80)
Member of Gamers With Jobs(GWJ)
From the Northern Shiver Peaks

in WvW

Posted by: Jae.9682

Jae.9682

I didn’t read the whole thread, sorry. Just wanted to throw a post out there about the topic. Arenanet so far has been good at creating a system, tweaking the system, improving the system and so on with small adjustments after a data gathering period. Now that free transfers are closed, they are gathering data. Any adjustments to the system will be based on that data. A reasonable period is anywhere from 4 weeks to 16 weeks of data in order to make adjustments to the ranking system. Without the data, any changes right now could do more harm than good.

I realize it sucks being stuck at the bottom playing the same teams. Until anet makes a change you have 3 choices.

1. Play for the fun and forget the score.
2. Convince your server and the other losing server to really tank for a week or two to let the winning server move up.
3. Convince your server to rally and make a stand to push for 1st (by a large margin) in your tier for 2 weeks straight.

Jae Sun, Jae of Arc, Jae Kal, Jae Khan, Jae Barka, Jae Hemingway
Original Member of Blackgate.
Member of HB.

in WvW

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, they need to time-weight the value of WvW holdings based on relative populations of the servers involved. It’s simple math and would immediately fix population imbalance with regards to ppt and overall score.

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

in WvW

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

T8 is no different than any other Tier. Almost all of them have 1 Server domination. I’d suggest to any server on the bottom of any tier to just play and have good time.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

I wonder how many points the top server would need to win by in order to avoid losing rating against the bottom server?

At some point, the way the rating system works, I suspect that owning everything on the map 24/7 would still result in a loss of rating points because the formula would require the top server to win by more points than are actually available.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: pulsecodesgnl.3470

pulsecodesgnl.3470

I didn’t read the whole thread, sorry. Just wanted to throw a post out there about the topic. Arenanet so far has been good at creating a system, tweaking the system, improving the system and so on with small adjustments after a data gathering period. Now that free transfers are closed, they are gathering data. Any adjustments to the system will be based on that data. A reasonable period is anywhere from 4 weeks to 16 weeks of data in order to make adjustments to the ranking system. Without the data, any changes right now could do more harm than good.

I realize it sucks being stuck at the bottom playing the same teams. Until anet makes a change you have 3 choices.

1. Play for the fun and forget the score.
2. Convince your server and the other losing server to really tank for a week or two to let the winning server move up.
3. Convince your server to rally and make a stand to push for 1st (by a large margin) in your tier for 2 weeks straight.

Lol. You probably should have read the thread, ET/FC tried allying and it didn’t really do them much benefit, now that SF is bored of dominating t8 and most of the heavy WvW’ers have left, they actually stand a chance of not being completely dominated, only mostly dominated. It’s still a pain for them to get World Completion because of the amount of real estate that SF owns when we’re not really trying.

There are several issues there that need to be addressed in my opinion.

Voxtr | Svell | Kvikr | Svass | Sundr | Naud | Kvedja | Traust
Sorrow’s Furnace – Commander/Officer
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

in WvW

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

I wonder how many points the top server would need to win by in order to avoid losing rating against the bottom server?

At some point, the way the rating system works, I suspect that owning everything on the map 24/7 would still result in a loss of rating points because the formula would require the top server to win by more points than are actually available.

That’s true, you’re actually penalized for being in the position of having to fight lower ranked servers. It’s basically a strength of schedule issue. You can go undefeated in college football and not be national champions because your opponents weren’t good enough, same here. No one moves up in the rankings by beating Savannah State.

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

in WvW

SniffyCube.6107

In college football, I am pretty sure teams play more than two other teams all year. Also, when “Savannah State” gets a ton of new recruits and stomps every other team they play by double to triple their scores, they should move up in rank.

(talking about DR and Kain being stuck in t8 for a long time while each in turn roflstomped the other servers then moved up to t5 or higher… it’s hard to gauge the talent when you don’t have a very good sample size… the problem is that t8 is a pitfall and until we do get another server in here, all you can do is speculate)

t8 community is a great place to be; however, being green would be nice once in a while.

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

(edited by SniffyCube.6107)

in WvW

insanemaniac.2456

who cares about being green, just having the manpower to fight them nearly equally would be good enough for world completion

in WvW

XxNuggetxX.7823

After considering all the options to fix the T8 rating “black hole vortex” there is 1 solution that has the most credability:

putting a floor/roof on the ratings is the best option. go off do your reserch, but i assure you this is the best way.

e.g. place a 900 minimum rating in. this will bump ET/SF/FC to 900 rating. if SF has another blowout at this point and get 150k more points than ET or FC they will gain 100+ rating and after a week or to move into T7. ET and FC will no longer be draging down SF’s rating gain.

once SF in in T7 and either GOM or HOD come down we can truly test if SF belongs in T8. if they lose, so be it at least we know. this also gives ET and FC a chance to prove themselves. if we lose then “meh” at least we got a chance against another server.

any other “fix” to the rating system will either ruin good mach up’s in the middle of the rating system, cause unfair matchups or not improve the long term stability of the system.

1. Winner moves up loser moves down will cause too much movement in the rating system which in turn will cause unfair matches.
  1. Rating reset to 1500 will mean in the long run we will be back here. with two serves in the black hole and another getting sucked down with them (not a long term fix) not to mention the whining from the top servers if there was a reset.
  1. Making the downward and upward volitility of servers at the top/bottom end of the rating move slower down/up is a valid sugestion but would require Anet to do more work than is needed to fix the problem.

so over all the best imediate, long term and easy to implament solution is a rating floor/roof. i invite you to let me know if there is more options. i will do the reserch to see if they are a better solution the the T8 “black hole issue”

(edited by XxNuggetxX.7823)