Melee useless in WvWvW

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Akithn.8073

Akithn.8073

Ok, to the person who said necro’s don’t do huge damage… hahaahhahahha ok, here is a little tip, go condition damage specced (and scepter dagger in main equip and alternate weapon staff) and be with a party of 5 people have one be a ranger for sure with a short bow (not required but keep reading and youll see why) have them all target one person (easy with assisst target) now have everyone unload on him with conditions, a ranger alone can get 20 stacks of bleed no problem now use epidemic on the condition ridden guy causing the entire zerg to have all those conditions, with this I have taken down a 30 man zerg with 8 people as they broke down a gate and ran in grouped together in seconds and could barely see anything because all the numbers (25 stacks of bleed poison and a kitten ton other conditions such as chilled vulnerability burn and kitten HURT) oh and throw down the staff marks before they run in as well just for some more conditions and such and if you targetted a guardian corrupt boon him for another 10+ boons being turned into conditions

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: epicsmooth.7825

epicsmooth.7825

Junkkis

In short your statements are false.

now I’m going to try and get in here before nastier people start the insults about learning to play etc.

The warrior at present has a lot of viable specs in WvW. I personally do not playh one but play in a guild with a lot of warriors that play and succeed well in WvW.

One thing that might be the issue is are you playing solo, warriors thrive with other players their hammers are fantastic for control and adminishing aoe when combating a zerg. They have glass cannon specs that can nuke rapidly and then retreat.

I play thief and play in melee range and often spend my time hopping in and out of the postern doors wiping people. we also have a 900 range. I think you should look for another class though as clearly this playstyle doesn’t suit you.

Thief is a completely different Melee beast then warrior or guardian

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Lohengrin.8573

Lohengrin.8573

melee are overpwered…you just need an organized group.

[OSC] Lohengrin Fenrir – Norn Warrior
Seafarer’s Rest

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: lagoriel.6475

lagoriel.6475

Hilarious how ppl complained about melees being useless back in the days. I mean – c’mon, look at us now!

Btw, anyone ever tried to counter the current pirateshipping with a really really tanky melee-setup? like everyone 27k life and 3.8k Armor? I’m really curious if those would survive Nekrobomb, Frostbow and Lichbomb…?

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Talk about a necro post. To answer your question, NO. I have 3.4k armor and 29k HP and will die in 5 seconds if I get focused (Guard w/Ascend full PVT).

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

The changes to stability have greatly hurt melee classes in large scale fights. They are still fine for roaming but in range has become the ZvZ meta.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: GROMIT.7829

GROMIT.7829

Honestly i don’t think you have a clue what you’re doing as a melee, you have lots of gap closers, damage mitigation and most importantly CC.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

I highly recommend you go to that site and check the roaming/zerg builds for warrior and the difference between them.

Ranged weapons on a warrior outside of Ham/Bow in PvP are near useless unless you are solo roaming vs a very secific enemy. I main Warrior as a roamer and have no problem with ranged enemies.

If you are looking to survive then irecommend you switch to Guardian as it can sit in a blob for so long and tag all the things.

!!!! YOU’RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR !!!!

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

Try harder,

warrior: pop invuln, rush into zerg, pop fury might etc, whirwind attack, see people die

this

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: GROMIT.7829

GROMIT.7829

Try harder,

warrior: pop invuln, rush into zerg, pop fury might etc, whirwind attack, see people die

this

Lol no

Maybe a year and a half ago you could get away with GS in a zerg but now you’re just dead if you fo this unless you’re so low down in the rankings that your blobs aren’t big enough to pirate ship with venom wells.

!!!! YOU’RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR !!!!

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Bovinity.8610

Bovinity.8610

This is actually why I don’t play my Guardian much in WvW.

I like the thematic elements of Guardian, I’d like to play it more, but it feels like my options in various types of fights are just so limited. No real ranged to speak of is the big thing, of course, but there are other issues.

Meanwhile my Warrior can just do anything. He might not be great at all of it, but at least if I’m standing on a keep wall with people attacking, I can drop some fiery arrows on them. Or if my guild is running a small harass group, he can actually throw some damage at the enemies from range, or even hop in and disrupt a little in melee and then actually escape pretty reliably.

Hell, if I want to, my Warrior can even perform the one role that my Guardian is perceived to excel at: Going full PVT and playing a support/tank/condition removal sort of role.

(Note: This is not to say that my Warrior is BETTER than my Guardian, simply that it feels like he has so many more options which does tend to become an issue in WvW.)

Any sufficiently advanced skill is indistinguishable from luck.

(edited by Bovinity.8610)

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

Useful classes in structured WvW (teamspeak 3)

Necro
Guardian
Warrior
Ele
Mesmer

For roaming you can use anything with a good 1v1 build, but I do not find roaming that enjoyable, but again…..depends on server population, guild etc.

GvG is very important to have might stack and some use thief/mesmer groups to kill backline.

In all honesty, I have never heard anything less usefull than a ranger in WvW

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

You should have seen Augury Rock on reset a couple weeks back. Complete ranger/bear zerg. They mowed the gate down in like 2 minutes. So many arrows … ><

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The only class I haven’t gotten to work post stability change is warrior which I’ve played a only a few hours since then. I’m just not quite sure what to do when balanced stance gives a measly 5 stacks. Maybe use dolyak signet, or do I just have to hug a guardian for stability? Maybe mobile strikes to break immobilize?

Granted, warrior is no. 7 for me, so my experience is very limited.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

You should have seen Augury Rock on reset a couple weeks back. Complete ranger/bear zerg. They mowed the gate down in like 2 minutes. So many arrows … ><

If there is a youtube, could you show it?

I cant imagine it, wall/might stack range bomb and seem like that ranged group is done, unless if Player vs Door or something like that.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Melee is still fun in wvw. I find it harder and easier on some situations. Zerg fight it’s harder to stay alive than casters, but smaller fights I find melee easier.
But I love damage builds, so that is part of the reason

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: nightblood.7910

nightblood.7910

So Im going to assume the OP is just discussing objective defense and offense.

Yes standing on Keep walls attacking enemies below is definitely a backline’s job and vice versa keeping the walls hot is also backline’s job.

Now for melee there is this thing called siege. And heavy classes are my most preferred classes to have on siege as everyone attacks siege. So you need someone that can take a hit manning siege and well squishy backline can deal their own ranged damage anyway. So its optimal to have melee classes on siege. If you are taking a keep you should be on catas, rams, or ballistas. If you are defending keeps you should be on cannons, AC’s or any other siege being used. Specifically the ones that can be hit like wall AC’s and cannons and not door trebs or catas.

But Warriors useless in WvW is an absolute overstatement as if you havent noticed they have their niche in just about every aspect from roaming to zerg fights to keep defense and offense.

EDIT:

Also if you see a problem with warrior movement speed you obviously are very very new to the game. Warriors have probably the best disengage and retreat abilities in game next to thief. “Nike Warrior” is a nickname for a reason.

EDIT;

Also I didnt realize this was a necrod post from 2 years ago.

(edited by nightblood.7910)

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

I have an alt warrior for WvWvW, and I have no issue with melee. That being said, I run quite the tanky support character with Soldiers/Clerics with Sword/Warhorn and Longbow with lots of shouts.

It just depends on how you play the class—a YOLO zerker warrior will almost always die to a zerg.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

In large zerg combat the only role for warriors anymore are to drop rezzing banners. Venom wells make melee only good for support characters.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Coinhead.7591

Coinhead.7591

Hehe it seems we have quite different experience in wvw. I have played wvw 2 years raiding with guild or roaming.

In big fights (20vs20) ect. Melee is the driving force of the fight. Their mission is to control enemy movement with damage, stuns and immobilizes. After the enemy is controlled the heavy artillery can land the big damages on them and take them down.

In addition of doing melee a warrior supports his group with warhorn and the Warbanner. Here is the first random youtube video I found of big group fights from warriors point of view. Watch this video and say melee is useless in big fights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-qeSk5wcQ

Outside guild raids melee warriors can go do some solo or small group roaming. Melee warriors are fun to play and can do well against any profession. Take a look at this warrior solo roaming video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqgqtQxr5mU again it was first random video I found, but I think it shows that melee is a viable way to play in wvw.

As for the builds go in group play I mix soldier/knight and zerker to have max damage while having 3k armor and 27k hp. In roaming I take full zerker gear and bring survivability with traits and skills.

If asked “What profession you would rather take to your wvw group, a warrior or a ranger?” from any commander in my server they would all answer “Warrior”.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

op this is a l2p issue stick to your low skill trash class and pew pew pew from 1500.

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Useless melee? Do we play the same game?

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

did someone just dug a october thread out and nobody notice? ermm…

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

No, it was noticed, and called out immediately after, however I guess just not reported and everyone else kept commenting.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

yes you are correct, melee rangers are indeed useless in wvw.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Faenar.8036

Faenar.8036

Now i just made warrior alt and its so useless in WvWvW.

And watch up with warrior move speed? others classes have 10-25% move speed passive.

Srsly, you are complaining that warrior movement speed is detrimental when compared with other classes???

Troll detected … Forum Wars at its finest.

Errrm, according to forum guidelines about constructive posts and whatever:
You should look at these links:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Charge_%28warrior_skill%29
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warrior%27s_Sprint
properly traited it means perma swiftness. And I don’t even mention leaps …
This is your personal “learn to play” issue, not warrior being useless in WvW.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Provost.6210

Provost.6210

I have actually seen some great warriors and guardians in WvW. Your problem is you just made it like you mentioned. Since WvW is based around gear, traits, and skills an early leveled warrior would fair pretty poorly. I would say get your warrior into late 60s to 80 and you should have a great time with playing close combat classes.

This.

Your warrior may be uplevelled to 80, but your gear stats are certainly not. If I take a low level to WvW, I run around naked because the armour makes zero difference up until maybe level 50, when you can take approximately 5-6 hits rather than 2. It’s a habit I got back when you had to pay to repair armour in WvW.

Also, in general melee builds don’t fare well in a zerg unless you are in the front line. Have you tried being on Teamspeak with the commander(s) on your server? Alternatively, havoc groups may suit you, as there aren’t 10 targets focus firing you from range, there are only 4 or 5 … unless your havoc squad runs into a zerg.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: ventusthunder.5067

ventusthunder.5067

Melee is perfectly viable in WvW. I make a full zerk guardian work in either zergs or roaming, without any issues.

It’s even easier as warrior. Just give them a real try and learn how to play the classes, and you will be fine.

collector of liquid aurillium

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

>this thread
Even considering the necromancy:
top kek

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Speaking as a ranger one of the most terrifying classes to have come after me is a melee warrior. Theives are usually fairly easy to negate as long as you time things correctly. And either way the fight is decided in the first few seconds. When fighting a heavier melee build however things become dicey.

Its not a “okay if I survive these 3 seconds I have the advantage.” Its a fight where litteraly any small mistake I make could get me in range of something I can’t easily break combat with. Which is bleeding terrifying when you see one such fight come whirling at you out of a zerg at 600 range per second when you just popped your elite earlier in order to pin down a necro.

Because of that I can’t say that melee is useless. I would say heavily it depends on the player behind it. Like the difference between a good ranged dpser and a bad ranged dpser is that the good ones dont cave the second something breaks there rythm. A good melee FINDS the targets hes in a position to go after and knows exactly what he can use to make SURE he reaches it.

Ive seen full melee warriors. Guardians. power melee rangers and even zerg surfing melee mesmers(these guys are freaking terrifying) absolutely WRECK people that had every advantage against them including range.

So I can’t agree that there useless at all. Infact I would go so far as to say your flat our wrong.

Ghost Yak

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: RKyrk.4761

RKyrk.4761

Warrior is one of the best classes for WvW and will never go away.
Following video is not perhaps the most instructive nor does it reflect reality as its recorded by one of the best wvw guilds of all time, but it does show how powerful warrior is/has been under the right circumstances.

https://youtu.be/BaRGUCXfqfQ

1 close 1 animal 1 far rest mid

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Following video is not perhaps the most instructive nor does it reflect reality as its recorded by one of the best wvw guilds of all time, but it does show how powerful warrior is/has been under the right circumstances.

Why do you come with a vid so old then? Back then stability wasnt like it is now. No pirateshipping in that vid.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

Dude, the video is 2 years old. Much have happen since then

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

No you should say, I am useless as a melee ranger in wvw.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Melee useless in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

No you should say, I am useless as a ranger in wvw.

Fixed it for you.