Mesmer portals are game breaking in WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kalemar.4873

Kalemar.4873

Something OP, is something u cannot counter, u can counter mesmer portals as far as i know…
Not talking about exploits here, talking about mesmer portals for tactics and to surprise enemy.

As far as I know, you can’t currently destroy portals or dispel them. Would be good to be able to target the portal and destroy it which might help stop full zergs coming through.

Kalemar (80 Guardian) [COTD]
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Dhar.6392

Dhar.6392

Better solution is not the nerf portals. Instead- whenever a tower or keep is taken; highlight all enemies in the keep for 2-3 minutes so it is impossible to stealth or hide.

If you eliminate the possibility of folks hiding inside newly won points- then Mesmer portal wouldn’t be as devastating.

in WvW

Posted by: Kalemar.4873

Kalemar.4873

Better solution is not the nerf portals. Instead- whenever a tower or keep is taken; highlight all enemies in the keep for 2-3 minutes so it is impossible to stealth or hide.

If you eliminate the possibility of folks hiding inside newly won points- then Mesmer portal wouldn’t be as devastating.

No, it takes skill to hide in a hostile keep. This is not a solution.

Kalemar (80 Guardian) [COTD]
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Dhar.6392

No, it takes skill to hide in a hostile keep. This is not a solution.

It’s not skill- it’s exploiting defects in the keeps… false walls and such.

If it’s skill- then survive the 2-3 minute revealing process.

in WvW

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

It’s a strong utility yes, but what part of it exactly is overpowered?

Portals are strong vs bad/unorganised servers. There are only a limited number of places a mesmer can hide in a tower, stick your face in those and you’re golden.

If it’s a fight in the open ground, move away from the shiny pink disc, and aoe it.

If your keep/tower/SM gets taken due to a mesmer portal, thats all on you

Every part of it. No other single skill in the game can have as big of an impact on a siege on both the offensive and defensive.

in WvW

Posted by: Arani.9057

Arani.9057

to change it to only one person per second etc. you need to open portals for a far longer period. ATM were talking like 12-20s of active portal time. If only one person could use it at a time i need to be open for minutes at a time, letting people stream in for upto 3-4 minutes imo.

and culling is not a Mesmer issue it is a game issue. Stop confusing the 2. Portal is used 90% of the time for things that have absolutely nothing to do with mass or culling/rendering issues. We have so many things that we give up for being a near pure utility class, to say we can’t use our class defining abilities because of rendering/culling is like saying take all stealth and invis from the game or remove all AoE because the cap cant be removed… ask them to fix the problem not the side effects.

Aradea [AoS] /\/\ESS/\/\ERR of Jade Quarry (GG SBI)
I’ll show you exactly what a Mesmer can do, SS cost extra.

in WvW

Posted by: Ralathar.7236

Ralathar.7236

The biggest reason mesmer portal is going to be nerfed has nothing to do with balance. It’s simply not fun gameplay to sweep a keep for 10 minutes and still miss a mesmer because he had a thief buddy with him to maintain stealth. Or because you only checked 99 of the possible 100 tiny little hiding spots in a keep.

This doesn’t even touch balance or hackers/exploits or culling or etc.

Rashanala – 80 Elementalist
Ehmry Bay – Legion of the Iron Hawk [Hawk]

in WvW

Arani.9057

there inst a single other thing in the game outside of chat that is party only why would portal be party only? A lot of people get cranky they got bested by a class and want to put em chop block but funny thing is who do u think is next, cuz the same people complain regardless.. they are never happy.

in WvW

Posted by: zoombi.1498

zoombi.1498

there inst a single other thing in the game outside of chat that is party only why would portal be party only? A lot of people get cranky they got bested by a class and want to put em chop block but funny thing is who do u think is next, cuz the same people complain regardless.. they are never happy.

apply the same limit as aoe then. either way works. get rid of the baddies who cant win wo turtle/portal exploiting the rendering issues.

in WvW

Posted by: Golem.7845

Golem.7845

like I said they won’t be happy until the entire wvw population is playing some mannequin class with just 1 autoattack move.

afaik killing the offending mesmer will destroy their portal. Killing the mesmer before he gets to your siege works wonders too. If you’re not willing to defend your seige then you’re going to lose it. If you defend it and you get overrun by 100 people pouring out of a portal then guess what, you were just playing against a vastly bigger group of people so what did you really expect?

various mythrils [AKS] Maguuma
and it paints
http://chenthooran.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Moturdrn.2837

Moturdrn.2837

Sure, just make it so the 2-3 minute revealing process prevents the side who just took the keep from being able to see in that area. It’s about as sensible an idea as stopping classes from using several of their skills for no reason.

Mesmer sweep. If you don’t know where to look, get your mesmers to. Get them to show you. If you find someplace they didn’t know, show them.

The only issue I can see with portals is the culling issue. Have your groups place down their stun fields, fear, etc. If you can’t see them, they most likely can’t see you. More so when you’ve suddenly scattered them. Don’t leave it to one person.

Midnight Mayhem [MM] – Gunnar’s Hold
Visko Bludhaven – Level 80 Human Elementalist
Gunnar’s Hold Server Forum

in WvW

Posted by: MiasmicMist.1420

MiasmicMist.1420

I don’t think portals should be removed. At times it’s the only way to get reinforcements into your keep being sieged with supply.

As a Commander, I make good use of my mesmers by this and yes, even portal bombing when the situation calls for it. For instance if we are getting pushed back from a supply camp back into our keep, 10 of us will portal behind and try to burst down the squishies in the back.

However, I do think being able to portal 30 people with no consequences is a little broken, and should be looked at. If not portals, definitely the rendering issue.

As for removing them completely, this I am not on board with. Same as thieves and perma stealth. I don’t think it should be removed, but I think stealth defending is broken. Something else that comes down to rendering, I think.

Commander Miasmic Spiritsong
Leader of Caedas [CDS] : caedas.enjin.com
Sanctum Of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

I don’t think mesmer portals need to be toned down as much as other classes should have something that’s also game changing.

Mesmer portals encourages group communication, and coordination. Lets see some more of that on other classes.

in WvW

Dhar.6392

Sure, just make it so the 2-3 minute revealing process prevents the side who just took the keep from being able to see in that area. It’s about as sensible an idea as stopping classes from using several of their skills for no reason.

Mesmer sweep. If you don’t know where to look, get your mesmers to. Get them to show you. If you find someplace they didn’t know, show them.

The only issue I can see with portals is the culling issue. Have your groups place down their stun fields, fear, etc. If you can’t see them, they most likely can’t see you. More so when you’ve suddenly scattered them. Don’t leave it to one person.

? perhaps you or I worded it badly… I’m suggesting that all players not of the world/realm than won the keep be ‘revealed’… their ICON showing up on the map for 2-3 minutes within the keep boundaries. Negates all stealth… no exceptions once the keep has been won.

Seriously- if folks are in the Lord’s Room… you should know if you have a prayer of holding it or not… and if you don’t… you are running for the exit. If you are not- you are trying to stick around for some nefarious reason. Fine… survive full exposure first.

If you can survive 2-3 minutes with your constant location shown on the map… then you deserve the right to stick around hiding… dropping a portal bomb. Otherwise- it’ll clear out all of those that don’t belong and allow the honest defense and attack pattern to begin.

Be serious- the only reason to complain at this point is you don’t want to give up your ‘exploit’ of the situation… which will only result in your eventual nerf. Folks complain about portals the same as they complain about Orbs… where are Orbs today? they are gone. Portals can disappear just as fast. Same can happen with Stealth to a simliar degree. Then where will you be?

Instead of punching holes in my argument- I suggest, be you Mesmer or Theif, that you find some way to make it work… that doesn’t invove radically altering your apparent abilities. It’s your choice to lose it.

(edited by Dhar.6392)

in WvW

Moturdrn.2837

? perhaps you or I worded it badly… I’m suggesting that all players not of the world/realm than won the keep be ‘revealed’… their ICON showing up on the map for 2-3 minutes within the keep boundaries. Negates all stealth… no exceptions once the keep has been won.

Seriously- if folks are in the Lord’s Room… you should know if you have a prayer of holding it or not… and if you don’t… you are running for the exit. If you are not- you are trying to stick around for some nefarious reason. Fine… survive full exposure first.

If you can survive 2-3 minutes with your constant location shown on the map… then you deserve the right to stick around hiding… dropping a portal bomb. Otherwise- it’ll clear out all of those that don’t belong and allow the honest defense and attack pattern to begin.

Be serious- the only reason to complain at this point is you don’t want to give up your ‘exploit’ of the situation… which will only result in your eventual nerf. Mesmer and Thief both… it’s going to happen. Better to find some other way… or you’ll find not only pvp for pve effected… then where will you be? Hmm?

You worded it correctly the first time and I understood you then. You’re wanting to be able to just zerg onwards after taking something, without any thought for what may be left behind, and as such you’re suggesting negating several skills of different classes. There is no ‘exploit’ except of your inability to sweep.

Instead of punching holes in my argument- I suggest, be you Mesmer or Theif, that you find some way to make it work… that doesn’t invove radically altering your apparent abilities. It’s your choice to lose it.

This is how discussion works. The problem with your suggestion has been pointed out, and you’ve been told several times by myself and others the counters. If you refuse to move on or look back and provide alternatives and changes then that’s not our fault.

Rather than whine and whine, adapt or be productive. If ANet ever does anything to nerf it, a large portion of those who use it would.

(edited by Moturdrn.2837)

in WvW

Dhar.6392

Fine- I’m missing the point, but then I’m more PvE than PVP for Mesmer… in fact it was my first toon… and my least played. So the nerf when it comes… no big deal.

It won’t matter much to my 80 Engineer, my 80 Warrior, or my Elementalist (soon to hit 80)… You Mesmers will do whatever- who knows… maybe the change will convince me to give it another try.

I was trying to find a solution that didn’t involve nerfing any particular class/ability…which inevitably leads Devs to nerf others; to compensate but all I pick up from you is that it’s impractical.

I’m quite certain the Orb issue was just as impractical. Hell if folks had camped the Orbs 24/7/365 they never would have been stolen eh? That didn’t keep Anet from removing it from the game.

Good luck with your Argument. I’m confident portals like Orbs will be history soon enough.

(edited by Dhar.6392)

in WvW

Posted by: iorlas.6721

iorlas.6721

Fine- I’m missing the point, but then I’m more PvE than PVP for Mesmer… in fact it was my first toon… and my least played. So the nerf when it comes… no big deal.

It won’t matter much to my 80 Engineer, my 80 Warrior, or my Elementalist (soon to hit 80)… You Mesmers will do whatever- who knows… maybe the change will convince me to give it another try.

I was trying to find a solution that didn’t involve nerfing any particular class/ability…which inevitably leads Devs to nerf others; to compensate but all I pick up from you is that it’s impractical.

I’m quite certain the Orb issue was just as impractical. Hell if folks had camped the Orbs 24/7/365 they never would have been stolen eh? That didn’t keep Anet from removing it from the game.

Good luck with your Argument. I’m confident portals like Orbs will be history soon enough.

Orbs where removed due to hackers/cheats.The Mesmer portal is not a hack,cheat or exploit.I’ve played Mesmer from day one and is the only “toon” i have,no alts at all.I have np with limiting the number of people 5-10 maybe.As for hiding in keeps..it’s not that easy there’s not many places to hide,it takes a few mins for another Mesmer to check.Never tried or been involved with “portal bombing” i use my portal mainly to move golems around.

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

It does seem odd that something like Shadow Refuge would have a cap of 5 players and yet a Mesmer portal can teleport an entire army across the map.

I too have a hard time understanding how a single profession can have utilities that are 100 times more potent and valuable than those of any other profession.

in WvW

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

Culling issue is the number one problem in portal bombing. But another issue, portal make people do turtle automatically (regardless you know or not). Maybe in 2 s (after portal open) defender (you) can down several people out of portal, but after that, you will see your AOE capped to only 5 person and cannot down anymore people.

Solution I propose:
1. Mesmer portal should have a limit in the number of person it portalled. Maybe 15 – 20 person is good idea. (its still big number, but it need at least two mesmer to transport 30 – 40 people or more to transport more people).
2. Portal can only be used in one way (it means you cannot portal back to your original location before portal).
3. Portal cannot stack (so two mesmer cannot stack two portal in one location).

(edited by deviller.9135)

in WvW

Posted by: iorlas.6721

iorlas.6721

It does seem odd that something like Shadow Refuge would have a cap of 5 players and yet a Mesmer portal can teleport an entire army across the map.

I too have a hard time understanding how a single profession can have utilities that are 100 times more potent and valuable than those of any other profession.

You’re trying to make it sound like a Mesmer portal goes from 1 side of the map to the other,it doesn’t.if i want to port an entire army across the map i have to drop the entrance,run solo as far as i can avoiding mobs/players drop the exit and then we ALL have to wait for my cooldown to rinse and repeat.It’s faster to run.

in WvW

Posted by: MartyPartys.9187

MartyPartys.9187

Culling issue is the number one problem in portal bombing. But another issue, portal make people do turtle automatically (regardless you know or not). Maybe in 2 s defender (you) can downed several people out of portal, but after that, you will see your AOE capped to only 5 person and cannot down anymore people.

Solution I propose:
1. Mesmer portal should have a limit in the number of person it portalled. Maybe 15 – 20 person is good idea. (its still big number, but it need at least two mesmer to transport 30 – 40 people or more to transport more people).
2. Portal can only be used in one way (it means you cannot portal back to your original location).

1. That would be a number I can live with.
2. No, portals need to go both ways, portals aren’t just a transportation skill. They are also used as fight skills, for example versus melee enemies.
3. This would mean if I put my portal next to another portal and I would go another way people couldn’t follow me? This would create a whole other problem.

in WvW

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Eles and Necros should get portals too! They need some love.

in WvW

Posted by: TheGreatA.4192

TheGreatA.4192

It’s broken because mesmers at the moment are far more useful and effective as far as utilization goes than any other class in WvW.

You shouldn’t have to go with a mesmer in order to bring a game-changing skill into WvW, every class should have them. Mesmers can deflect projectiles, they can have stealth, they can make clones that teleport inside keeps despite not having a line of sight and most especially teleport 50+ people inside a keep or a castle, bypassing its defenses. They could live with a 5 man cap or a health bar to the portal and receive a buff in other skills due to this “nerf”. It won’t make the class automatically useless.

In the current WvW match-up I’m playing right now I barely see any other class than mesmers. Now this obviously has to do with one server’s tactics (using portals and little else for strategy) but either way the class is still more heavily represented and useful than the rest.

At the very least you should be able to destroy a “zerg” waiting for a “pick-up” with AoE which is currently not possible or otherwise somehow prevent it from happening, instead of being forced to stare at the inevitable. It simply looks ridiculous when used in excess and takes away from the enjoyment of battle, when the other group continues to avoid battle by abusing the system.

Metsän Suojelija (guard)/Puun Halaaja (engi)/Pieni Musta Rotta (warrior)/Viher Rauha (necro)

(edited by TheGreatA.4192)

in WvW

deviller.9135

Culling issue is the number one problem in portal bombing. But another issue, portal make people do turtle automatically (regardless you know or not). Maybe in 2 s defender (you) can downed several people out of portal, but after that, you will see your AOE capped to only 5 person and cannot down anymore people.

Solution I propose:
2. Portal can only be used in one way (it means you cannot portal back to your original location).

1. That would be a number I can live with.
2. No, portals need to go both ways, portals aren’t just a transportation skill. They are also used as fight skills, for example versus melee enemies.
3. This would mean if I put my portal next to another portal and I would go another way people couldn’t follow me? This would create a whole other problem.

2. This is to differentiate between a mesmer who can assess situation so they not endanger their team. It also give consequence to who use portal. It will also limit additional mesmer (who also porting) to get additional help easily (as they need to run back to their force).
3. Well this limitation can be readjusted to you can only cast portal 300 range apart from a friendly portal. But anyway portal cannot stack.

in WvW

Moturdrn.2837

Culling issue is the number one problem in portal bombing. But another issue, portal make people do turtle automatically (regardless you know or not). Maybe in 2 s (after portal open) defender (you) can down several people out of portal, but after that, you will see your AOE capped to only 5 person and cannot down anymore people.

Solution I propose:
2. Portal can only be used in one way (it means you cannot portal back to your original location before portal).

1) A good number to be honest
3) I actually think this bit makes sense. Force them to move, if only a small amount, to where the next portal will activate.

Regarding 2): “it means you cannot portal back to your original location before portal”. For clarification do you mean that portals can only go one way, or that you can use a set of portals only once regardless of which side you use?

Eles and Necros should get portals too! They need some love.

Necrotic Portal: Teleport all enemies who cross the threshold into Grenth’s realm, insta-gibbing all who enter.

(edited by Moturdrn.2837)

in WvW

deviller.9135

Solution I propose:

1) A good number to be honest
3) I actually think this bit makes sense. Force them to move, if only a small amount, to where the next portal will activate.

Regarding 2:( “it means you cannot portal back to your original location before portal”. For clarification do you mean that portals can only go one way, or that you can use a set of portals only once regardless of which side you use?

Yes, Its only one way regardless of which side you use (for one set of portal). It means if there is another mesmer make portal to go back to your original location before portal (it will slightly different as portal cannot stack), you can use it. (Anet can make debuff: portal sickness source: xxx player mesmer who cast the portal >>> cannot use portal again from xxx player (30 s)).

in WvW

Moturdrn.2837

Yes, Its only one way regardless of which side you use (for one set of portal). It means if there is another mesmer make portal to go back to your original location before portal (it will slightly different as portal cannot stack), you can use it. (Anet can make debuff: portal sickness source: xxx player mesmer who cast the portal >>> cannot use portal again from xxx player (30 s)).

In that case then, aye. It would make people think about the use of the portal, as their instant escape wouldn’t be there the plan goes belly up Whether it’s technically possible is another thing.

in WvW

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

just add a charge time to porting…
Like the teleported dude slowly fades out of sight while appearing on the other end(he can be damaged on both locations during that time)
He can’t do anything while porting and only sees his sight slowly fading into whats on the other side.
If that’s still not enough, you can simply add changes like teleporting people take x% more damage during the port animation, port animation lasts x% longer etc.
No need to castrate the strategic utility of a portal, just tackle the tactic utility of “portal bombing” by making the teleport not instant.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in WvW

Posted by: innocent ouarior.1954

innocent ouarior.1954

Agree on the portal having a cap number. Using portals to move people is smart and should be rewarded. Having one hidden mesmer porting 50 people into a keep shouldnt.

5 is a good number imo. 8 could also be considered since you statistically can have 1 Mesmer for 8 people.

All the combat stategy using portal bombing or portal escaping are fine with me.

(edited by innocent ouarior.1954)

in WvW

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

As with my previous thread on this topic.

Mesmer portal needs to be changed in just the number of people that can use it at one time I don’t care how it is used just that it at current is the strongest skill in the entire game. Please make it 5 players max or at least have some manner of internal cooldown on like one person every 0.5 seconds or 0.1 seconds so you can’t have 100 people instantly.

This game is slowly becoming Mesmer vs Mesmer instead of World vs World

Cap it at 5 people, problem solved. It doesn’t stop the tactical feel because you can have 4 people and 1 more mesmer go through the first port and the second mesmer can open a new one etc. That takes time, and involves more tactics though. It still gives defenders time to react though, without removing the ability or destroying it’s usefulness in moving golems/players.

in WvW

Arani.9057

AoE heals are unlimited and also part of the problem people place on portals. 5 people ported is far too limiting when you drop a portal to get people and any PUG can jump on it let alone the xserver spies and griefers who already use up castle supplies wont get out of time warp rings to allow the x number of people meant for the buff to get it.

As it is you already hear get out of the time warp ring if you aren’t xxxx players, and that is it’s own drama and annoyance, doing the same thing to portal to limit it to number of uses. You port in and instead of 5 people who can fight you get 3 lvl 10s and 2 players who were meant to take the portal.

A lot of people who do not know how the mechanics work are the one who keep just parroting restrict it to x number of people. Or the ones from groups who don’t have Mesmer only have to counter them.

The problem people are upset with is just as easily fixed by lifting AoE caps, restricting AoE heals/Shouts/Invul buffs just as much as culling/rendering issues. But mesmer’s annoy people who don’t regularly play with one, so it must be a portal thing…. When I see nerf portal to 5 people I see a call to reduce heals to 5 people, or forget the AoE restriction all together … nuke em all and let entropy sort it out. We are a support oriented role, least those that use portal heavily, just as much as guardians and ele’s who spec for support/heals.

My only complaint ever with portals is the actual exploit use of it and that wasn’t the number of people using it, it was how often they could use it. IMO shouldn’t be able to port more than once a minute, total number is irrelevant in this situation.

in WvW

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

I like that portals are here. It gives WvW an extra mechanic.

Aurora Glade [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Usagi.4835

Usagi.4835

If you eliminate the possibility of folks hiding inside newly won points- then Mesmer portal would be useless.

Fixed.

Commander Chocolate Teapot | Prettier than you | Forum damsel in distress

in WvW

Posted by: Usagi.4835

Usagi.4835

Someone likes to exaggerate. Stealth a zerg for 20 secs!? 100 times more potent?! You just hate mesmers. C’mon, admit it! pokes

Tip: Check Dee Jay’s posts on this forum and anything related to mesmers is one that QQs about their OPness and how they need to be nerfed.

Commander Chocolate Teapot | Prettier than you | Forum damsel in distress

in WvW

Posted by: Ender.3508

Ender.3508

As with my previous thread on this topic.

Mesmer portal needs to be changed in just the number of people that can use it at one time I don’t care how it is used just that it at current is the strongest skill in the entire game. Please make it 5 players max or at least have some manner of internal cooldown on like one person every 0.5 seconds or 0.1 seconds so you can’t have 100 people instantly.

This game is slowly becoming Mesmer vs Mesmer instead of World vs World

Cap it at 5 people, problem solved. It doesn’t stop the tactical feel because you can have 4 people and 1 more mesmer go through the first port and the second mesmer can open a new one etc. That takes time, and involves more tactics though. It still gives defenders time to react though, without removing the ability or destroying it’s usefulness in moving golems/players.

Oh sure, doesn’t stop the tactical “feel” just stops everything tactical about the entire skill. The portal is nothing more than an option that expands gameplay and tactical choices, get rid of it, nerf it, what have you, and you’ve limited the entire WvW experience to PvDoor with some defensive siege thrown in.

The portal is already counterable, is usable offensively in open ground battles, offensively in keep/tower capping, defensively when there is a zerg at your door, support by enhancing mobility across land, and stealthily by quickly moving your assault force to the objective you want to hit, while the larger zerg hangs back as a distraction.

You know what it doesn’t do? The mesmer portal doesn’t automatically make pugs coordinated. It doesn’t encourage its users to build defensive siege emplacements. It doesn’t bypass chokepoints without first having a lone class traverse the point.

The portal is fine, leave it alone.

Kretna 80 Elementalist
ex – The Midnight Syndicate [Dark]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Lyan.6804

Lyan.6804

By the looks of it, first we talking about mesmers hiding and porting ppl, then culling issues.
Portals are awsome, and if u ask for 5 limit ppl passing trough it, i will just ask 5 mesmers doing it, so u will have again 25 ppl porting to u.
What will happen next? new thread QQing, ppl are exploiting portals.
About the orb, u really missed the point about hackers it seems, was alot on forums, dont blame it on mesmer portals cause they didnt even used portals. The exploits mesmers and thieves were doing by jumping some walls was an issue too. But afaik it has been fixed.

Gandara Commander [SN]
Ly Ann at ur service

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Imo, mesmers portal are a awesome, its just another way to conquer as in war you conquer some castles with it and lose some castles in the same way.

I dont run a mesmer but i like the idea of the portal, and it was great if mesmer could use it in more creative ways, would always be needed more players defending castle, instead of zerg conquer and abandon cycle.

edit: sorry about any bad english(engrish :P)

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Main problem is that the portals do things that are contrary to the skill description (at least in the German version). If the portals were working as the skill description is then the mesmer would (a) build uni-directional portals and (b) he’s be placing the entry portal first then the exit portal.

The skill does, however, not work this way but the Mesmer creates bi-directional portals. If they’d change the skill the way the discription is then you’d still be able to portal bomb but you could no longer get people inside structures by placing your first portal within the walls.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

in WvW

Posted by: TheGreatA.4192

TheGreatA.4192

Portals are awsome, and if u ask for 5 limit ppl passing trough it, i will just ask 5 mesmers doing it, so u will have again 25 ppl porting to u.

This would take actual skill, effort and coordination to pull off though, instead of just asking for everybody to gather up on chat at a single portal. It does not take a large amount of skill and teamwork to set up a portal in comparison to the comparative reward (getting a tower, keep and especially castle nearly instantly), that is the problem.

Metsän Suojelija (guard)/Puun Halaaja (engi)/Pieni Musta Rotta (warrior)/Viher Rauha (necro)

in WvW

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I think they should move the opposite way, and add portal like skills to more professions then just the Mesmer. I could defiantly imagine the Engineer having some kind of catapult gadget, with a entry and exit “portal”, that could launch people over walls. Or the Necromancer having some kind of Death Shroud portal skill.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in WvW

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Just give portal a HP bar.

This way it won’t be gamebreaking to just place a portal because it can be destroyed.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Main problem is that the portals do things that are contrary to the skill description (at least in the German version). If the portals were working as the skill description is then the mesmer would (a) build uni-directional portals and (b) he’s be placing the entry portal first then the exit portal.

The skill does, however, not work this way but the Mesmer creates bi-directional portals. If they’d change the skill the way the discription is then you’d still be able to portal bomb but you could no longer get people inside structures by placing your first portal within the walls.

On the realeased information that mesmer had, didnt the player used a portal in both ways to avoid an minotour? much was said there

Its a creativity problem that some players need to update…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Sabull.5670

Sabull.5670

Portal is amazing and interesting mechanic, it should not be 5 targets it would not even make sense.

Portaling people inside a keep is not a problem of the portal, thats a problem of the keep with some hole to hide in. If people loose their keeps like that, they just need to sweep it better.
I could however agree on a ability, mayby a Scanning Device you could buy in a keep that would scan the keep and blink the map if any enemys are inside. This should look like a radar on the map for like 10seconds max. Mayby 50 supply for one time use, 100 for permanent object(superior) (scan has cooldown of 10 minutes).
It should not be too easy solution.

Then for the portal bomb, simple, there should be half a second duration when you cannot use abilities. 0.5s Daze. Would give more reaction time for the unorganised people. And makes sense being abit dizzy after going through hyperspace.

I fight against portal turle everyday, I never portal turtle, and they get crushed. Portals are fine, few fixes/slight nerfs/new siege like above would be fine. But it should not remove possibility of the portal turtle tactic nor moving golems faster nor ninjaing keeps after failed sweeps.

[TA]

in WvW

Posted by: Alsonia.4753

Alsonia.4753

Honestly the strongest use of the portal IMO is a tactical retreat. If you want to retreat you tactically you don’t want to sell it since it leads to a dead on chase which in turn can lead to a wipe of a zerg.

If you call for a tactical retreat and a Mesmer portals on a Turtle or zerg and runs away solo you might be selling a defense of another area on the map in which case you can use Focus 4; Blink and Decoy to retreat safely drop a portal at a safe distance and do a tactical retreat.

Also play in T1 WvW Portal Bombing is not near as prominent as other tiers where Portal bombing is so prevalent. Honestly in T1 turtling which is abuse of Guardian abilities is MUCH stronger than a portal bomb since a turtle can effectively hard counter a portal bomb.

Gloria Taril | Guardian of [ICoa]
Repping Beastgate since day 1.

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

I don’t play a mesmer (yet), but I excitedly have one stowed away so I can use portal in WvW. I think it is such a cool skill. MAYBE they can have a limit on # of people that can go through. I think that would be a fair enough change.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Catalin.5341

Catalin.5341

As long as the game only renders a fixed amount of players on screen and then gradually increases it, you can’t have skills that teleport lots of players. I see only 2 options: Fix the culling bug or fix the mesmer teleport skill.

Yesterday I was defending godsword from the cliffs with siege weapons and could see the enemies bunch up behind a building and then a mesmer teleport all of them on the stairs next. You could easily see that people never reacted to the mass of people coming from them because the game doesn’t render the enemies fast enough, so they just dropped like flies.

Anyway, it’s pathetic we still have this discussion. If any arena dev/support would play wvw this problem wouldn’t even exist.

EU Seafearer’s Rest, Guilds: [AR] [tD]
Catalin Puf (Human Elementalist)
Catalin Elf (Sylvari Thief)

in WvW

Posted by: Beri.3156

Beri.3156

Soon there will be post saying that. Killing other players will ruin WvW.

I admit there is something that need to fix, but it ain’t mesmer portals. I’m not gonna make list what needs to be fixed on this post.

Awesome charr necro 66,000 kills
Aurora Glade

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Portaling people inside a keep is not a problem of the portal, thats a problem of the keep with some hole to hide in. If people loose their keeps like that, they just need to sweep it better.

The problem of course is that folks will use this as a cover to hide the fact that they exploited their way into the keep. That said the solution is not to nerf portals, but to fix the keeps/game so you cannot exploit your way into them.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Xerre.9678

Xerre.9678

Soon there will be post saying that. Killing other players will ruin WvW.

I admit there is something that need to fix, but it ain’t mesmer portals. I’m not gonna make list what needs to be fixed on this post.

Perfectly spoken. Guild Wars is alluring to the hardcore camp due to it’s player skill based system. It rewards those who pay attention to skills, use them appropriately, and build their team correctly to their leaders playstyle.

Culling, on the other hand, is a major issue. Portal maneuver is such a strong tactic, however with the culling issue about it I kinda feel dirty using it. With that said, I’ll still use the tactic after it’s fixed, alot of this is sadly a L2P issue.

Just remember when you join a WvW zone, instead of asking in team chat “Where’s our zerg at”, perhaps you should ask if any groups have room, and see if your server has a Vent/TS/Mumble to get organized via voice. 10 organized players on voice can trump 3x their numbers, even with current game issues.

Happy Hunting

Xerre
80 Dive Bomb Guardian for NoQQ Alliance
Over Extending since 2001

in WvW

Posted by: Kelo.4370

Kelo.4370

I don’t think mesmer portals need to be toned down as much as other classes should have something that’s also game changing.

Mesmer portals encourages group communication, and coordination. Lets see some more of that on other classes.

This is something I could get behind. My primary problem with Mesmer’s is that they are just far too strong in WvW. Both Timewarp and Portal make them a MUST HAVE class in WvW compared to every other class, if you don’t have a mesmer with Timewarp and Portal than you are severely at a disadvantage to a group that does, this is both in sPvP and WvW.

What the portal gets used for is NOT THE ISSUE HERE!! What is the issue is that one class has become MUST HAVE and all the others have nothing they can bring that is as strong. Maybe you can argue that the current implementation of Thief’s Shadow Refuge is up there in game changing utility but that skill only effects 5 people not THE ENTIRE SERVER like the Portal can. That is the problem here and why it is too strong.

Either make the Portal have a limit on it’s uses or change the other classes to have something that is a must have and completely changes the way WvW works without breaking sPvP/PvE. As I see it the vastly easier solution would be to just make the portal only work on a limited number of players before dispersing. Make that number 5 to bring it in line with other strong skills like Shadow Refuge and other Boons/AoE Skills or if that is too small 10 people would at least be something…..

REMEMBER: What the Portal is used for = NOT IMPORTANT
WHAT IS IMPORTANT = How strong this skill is compared to every other skill in the game, it changes the entire landscape of WvW. No other skill in the game does this to such a extreme degree.