Mixed Borderlands Update

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you know that the mixed borderlands will be coming with Tuesday’s release! This means that the red borderlands will now always be the Desert Borderlands and blue and green borderlands will always be the Alpine Borderlands. Changing the map will require an estimated 45-90 minutes of WvW downtime around the time of the release. This change also requires us to end the match early (on the Tuesday before the release), and run a new match from Tuesday to Friday. As a reminder, that Friday is also when new world links will be happening.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: jason.9548

jason.9548

How about scoring changes for night cappers and off hour coverage?

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

New world links this friday or next friday?’

edit: thanks jeknar

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

(edited by fishball.7204)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

New world links this friday or next friday?

Next. August 26th.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Awesome news, I’ve missed the variety of Desert Borderlands and having Alpine still in the mix keeps things in wvw fresh.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you know that the mixed borderlands will be coming with Tuesday’s release! This means that the red borderlands will now always be the Desert Borderlands and blue and green borderlands will always be the Alpine Borderlands. Changing the map will require an estimated 45-90 minutes of WvW downtime around the time of the release. This change also requires us to end the match early (on the Tuesday before the release), and run a new match from Tuesday to Friday. As a reminder, that Friday is also when new world links will be happening.

How will this affect the jumping puzzle achievements for the 3 BL maps? Will the garnet one be retired then?

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Just a random question: Why the red map?

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Maybe because the DBL objectivs are easier to defend (if there is no laser event anymore) and red is still considered to be the most often weakest side?

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Maybe because the DBL objectivs are easier to defend (if there is no laser event anymore) and red is still considered to be the most often weakest side?

Strange, I always found that the DBL’s were easy to Karma Train, But then again they were always fairly empty so it may go either way now….

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I’m not sure that is exactly true…maybe its just in our T3 case…but weakest doesn’t “always” get the Red BL…:) (I’m on the SBI/HoD pairing)

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: bgoodwin.3428

bgoodwin.3428

Glad to see the Desert BL’s comin back. I actually found them easier after I explored for a bit. The old maps were great at first but do need to be retooled to this new style. I’m hoping for maybe a 3rd map in the DBL style? A jungle theme perhaps?

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Awesome, we get mixed BL’s and split up the last week of these linkings and get two matches out of it. So whoever gets stuck in T4 may only be there for 4 days.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Awesome, we get mixed BL’s and split up the last week of these linkings and get two matches out of it. So whoever gets stuck in T4 may only be there for 4 days.

What if they roll T4 in both parts of the week?

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: JFFcrazyhorse.6352

JFFcrazyhorse.6352

I’m not sure that is exactly true…maybe its just in our T3 case…but weakest doesn’t “always” get the Red BL…:) (I’m on the SBI/HoD pairing)

I truly hope SBI and HoD will be paired together in the future. I’ve grown quite attached to SBI and it’ll be sad to say goodbye to the friends I’ve made there. Plus SBI and HoD work together well, we’re not toxic to each other like some of the other match ups.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I truly hope SBI and HoD will be paired together in the future. I’ve grown quite attached to SBI and it’ll be sad to say goodbye to the friends I’ve made there. Plus SBI and HoD work together well, we’re not toxic to each other like some of the other match ups.

I agree…been a good time fighting beside SBI.(I’m HoD too).

Back on topic…I’d also like to see a 3rd BL type…but I am willing to wait it out. It will be good to have that second BL diversity in any case.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Nice.

Hopefully the changes to Arid will make it good enough it’ll be well received, and that’ll open the doors for eventually having 3 different borderlands.

Maybe even more, 4 or 5, rotating quarterly, maybe getting a 4th and a 5th 3 and 6 years in the future.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Nice.

Hopefully the changes to Arid will make it good enough it’ll be well received, and that’ll open the doors for eventually having 3 different borderlands.

Maybe even more, 4 or 5, rotating quarterly, maybe getting a 4th and a 5th 3 and 6 years in the future.

Jungle or forest with trees and undergrowth that blocks LoS along routes to objectives and slows movement, so people have to decide whether to risk the road out of need or laziness, like in real life. Oh, and better visibility out than in.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Did you make any significant changes since its last appearance or is it still crap?

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Pretty much more incentive for me to not play lol.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Thats great news! Thanks.
Hopefully you still plan to update the scoring system soon as well.

Was the Desert Borlerland updated with a faster ways to get around (more waypoints)?

Also, perhaps one day you could add EotM to the mix as an optional map, instead of dividing the community. I know I would like to play EotM and have the score have an impact on the wvw score.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Great to hear.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

How does having a different BL gonna reflect on wvw bloodlust? Is the red server simply will not have that buff at all anymore???

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: QQing.3089

QQing.3089

Great, more people in the BLs that aren’t complete trash.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I hope someone with API skills start logging weekly border activity after mixed borders is added. It would be very interesting to see kills/deaths in comparison. Whether it truly is doom and and gloom for desert.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

If we’re red next week too then I guess it’s time to renew Netflix. It’s enough that we get the same brainless karmazombies and cheese clowns of Deso week after week, but adding the Deserted Boredomlands into the mix is too much for me.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

1. DBL is easier to defend.
2. Some folks hate DBL, which means less traffic and therefore a small boost in ppt for the lowest ranked server.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

2. Some folks hate DBL, which means less traffic and therefore a small boost in ppt for the lowest ranked server.

Or it could go the other way.
People hate the bl and don’t want to go there to defend so the PvD players can karma train to their hearts content.

LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

What if they roll T4 in both parts of the week?

Ever the optimist…:-)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jayne.9251

People hate the bl and don’t want to go there to defend so the PvD players can karma train to their hearts content.

Naw red will just need minimal response to put up a halfway decent defense. Heck, I used to do it with two others vs Elona blobs when the bl first came out.

Well-placed trebs pwn all.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Did you make any significant changes since its last appearance or is it still crap?

Did you played them after the april patch that did some drastic changes to it (shortening ways and removal of barricades)? It’s problably the same as after this patch, just with a few tweaks.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I am on HOD as well and while I like working with SBI our first pairing with Ebay was nice as well. They are now stuck in a bad spot unfortunately.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

People hate the bl and don’t want to go there to defend.

That would be me *looks innocently

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

People hate the bl and don’t want to go there to defend.

That would be me *looks innocently

Which isnt really so bad. As I’ve said before if DBL is popular, great! Its never going to be a real WvW map with towers that far from keeps but it work decently with lots of players. If the map is completely deserted and people dont even go to defend, well then thats great too! Because it means that the border population will be concentrated to two instead of three, which means more action and more fun. The pressure to defend hbl will just shift to more pressure on enemy borders. The offset will always be that DBL will be so easy to backcap for its home border occupants if zergs come and go instead of staying.

The only people that get tired will be those actively seeing DBL as a real border while the majority of their server dont, cause they aint going to get EB or guild support when defending it. So my advice would be to go with the flow. Dont try too hard. Thats what borderers (well what do we call them lol) vs EBers did with 3 DBL and it was just toxic on a daily basis.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I’m actually doing whatever the kitten I want in this game – nothing against my server, I hope they know it, but I’m not staying in wvw to defend bay which has just been attacked by 50 anymore, I’m not shedding a tear when we lose something – I’m trying to have fun and that was it – If I cared like I used to, all the insanity going on in wvw would make me really cranky and the DBL did – be glad that I never spoke to someone while on that map cause all that swearing would have cost me that friendship

ETA; But I might have gotten you wrong. Yeah I did – sorry tired

(edited by Jana.6831)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

i thought ive suggested before that blue is the underwater map one, red is the desert and green is the jungle or alphine

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: RickardJames.8267

RickardJames.8267

Thank you for the heads up! Lots better than getting online to find things have changed.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Glad to hear it.
Is the Oasis event restored or is it being replaced with a Bloodlust effect?

Red team is the team that needs the positive handicap and Desert is easier to defend than Alpine.

Here are some reasons

1. Bigger objectives mandate more resources spent to attack. There are no points at which a catapult can hit both outer and inner walls, for instance, while all ABL maps have this.
2. Yakfarming in the south end of the map is far less profitable because yaks take longer to arrive. Giving Red (the unfavored team) the DBL means that they are the only server with 2 alpine quarters to yakfarm on, while Green and Blue can yakfarm only on one another’s BL.
3. More northern yaks. More northern yaks is more points. This is both because there are four yaks spawning out of north camp rather than 2 and because NWC and NEC hit NWT and NET before going to Garrison.
4. Less interdependent objectives make defense easier. This goes both ways but is generally in favor of the defending team.
5. Oasis event heavily favors the defending team especially if they have a T3 garrison. Much shorter travel time when you can head straight from your garri into the event.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Did you played them after the april patch that did some drastic changes to it (shortening ways and removal of barricades)? It’s problably the same as after this patch, just with a few tweaks.

Yeah I did, the map was still crap. I’m hoping they made some new changes like pulling the PvE shrines/gimmicks and putting something worthwhile in the center of the map.
If they are going to be running alongside alpine they really should have bloodlust added to the map.

LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

1. Bigger objectives mandate more resources spent to attack. There are no points at which a catapult can hit both outer and inner walls, for instance, while all ABL maps have this.

I know for a fact you can cata both outer and inner on earth keep, and on the other 2 there are cata spots that can’t be counter sieged.

Also the oasis event was disabled long before the bl went away because it was a kitten gimmicky mechanic that favored the strongest server and literally broke the game by causing massive amounts of people to crash.

LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: pikkunana.7495

pikkunana.7495

i thought ive suggested before that blue is the underwater map one, red is the desert and green is the jungle or alphine

oh! Underwater map sounds fun!! I love water fights.
Great that we get Dessert Borderland back!
I hope SBI and HoD can stay together. We get really well together as server!! <3

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

I know for a fact you can cata both outer and inner on earth keep, and on the other 2 there are cata spots that can’t be counter sieged.

Cat or treb? I know there’s the treb spot near north camp which can hit both outer and inner

Not being able to be hit by countersiege is fine as that’s not really the point, the outer walls on all keeps are almost always speedbumps anyway so it doesn’t matter so long as they can’t push into lord on one wall

Also the oasis event was disabled long before the bl went away because it was a kitten gimmicky mechanic that favored the strongest server and literally broke the game by causing massive amounts of people to crash.

It was only disabled because it caused massive lag
Only having the event run on a single borderlands opposed to multiple may help with both of these issues

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Only having the event run on a single borderlands opposed to multiple may help with both of these issues

Lol what kind of thought went into that argument?

If the event run on a single border, it’ll lag and break that border. WvW is instanced. Just because people are fighting in EB, it doesnt mean that people lag out on home border or in Lions Arch.

Fact is, the event sucked. It heavily favored coverage and zerging while forcing people to jump around borders on set times instead of playing as they wish. Bloodlust aint ideal, but it’s far better than oasis – at least bloodlust encourage you to spread in small groups and do the activity while the zerg was fighting elsewhere. Oasis just stopped an entire border because the boon you got from it was insane. If it only took down a single door to like 50% I wouldnt have argued, but all of them? Ugh… Just ugh. Never again please.

I would prefer another tower or something in the center. Hell they might even fix the map if they place it so it can hit both southern towers and at least outer east/west keep.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Cat or treb? I know there’s the treb spot near north camp which can hit both outer and inner

Not being able to be hit by countersiege is fine as that’s not really the point, the outer walls on all keeps are almost always speedbumps anyway so it doesn’t matter so long as they can’t push into lord on one wall

Cat, on the northern side of the keep.

And yes not being able to counter siege is a problem when the supposed weakest server is being stuck with the bl. A determined zerg will eventually make it into any keep but it requires a lot of work in alpine since you can counter siege and slow them down. In the dbl the zerg just has to hit certain points and they will roll right over the smaller force.

LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

Mmkay one borderland less to go to………………………. thx Anet

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

Well, not a lot, since I wasn’t really planning on arguing

I would prefer another tower or something in the center. Hell they might even fix the map if they place it so it can hit both southern towers and at least outer east/west keep.

Oh, you’re one of the people who think the map is broken. Moving on

And yes not being able to counter siege is a problem when the supposed weakest server is being stuck with the bl. A determined zerg will eventually make it into any keep but it requires a lot of work in alpine since you can counter siege and slow them down. In the dbl the zerg just has to hit certain points and they will roll right over the smaller force.

Not the point

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

Just make Screenshot of Eternal Battleground QUEUE now and make one after 1 week.

The queue at top tier server will reach the 100+ man at primetime like it was before removal of DBL.

Top tier servers already strugle to fit all their guilds in alphine borders now with the removal of 1 of them they will have to fit even more guilds into 2 alphine maps.

Great ArenaNOT.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

Just make Screenshot of Eternal Battleground QUEUE now and make one after 1 week.

The queue at top tier server will reach the 100+ man at primetime like it was before removal of DBL.

Top tier servers already strugle to fit all their guilds in alphine borders now with the removal of 1 of them they will have to fit even more guilds into 2 alphine maps.

Great ArenaNOT.

Clearly they are just trying to encourage the population to spread out across more servers))))

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

Great ArenaNOT.

Clearly they are just trying to encourage the population to spread out across more servers))))

Which will clearly never happen.

It didn’t happen in 4 Years …wont happen in 10 more if ever.

Alphine border coming back made huge amount of WvW players joining back gw2 now with this change there will be people who will leave again – probably they will leave for good this time getting fed up with monority decided for majority.

Question here is will WvW survive this.

(edited by Luna.9640)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Well, not a lot, since I wasn’t really planning on arguing

Oh, you’re one of the people who think the map is broken. Moving on

Not the point

How do you figure?
Your whole argument is based on the dbl being easier to defend. If you read what I wrote it clearly isn’t.

LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jayne.9251

5. Oasis event heavily favors the defending team especially if they have a T3 garrison. Much shorter travel time when you can head straight from your garri into the event.

Oh bite your tongue!!!

They better not bring back that lazer event.

Between the lag it caused map wide and the forcing people to pve in wvw, it was just terrible.