Mixed Borderlands Update

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

Ugh. Eotm is so full of pve toxic trolls, I would hate to see them pour into a real wvw environment.

… just call me … Tim :)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Ugh. Eotm is so full of pve toxic trolls, I would hate to see them pour into a real wvw environment.

Sounds like real WvW tbh…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Just a random question: Why the red map?

1. DBL is easier to defend.
2. Some folks hate DBL, which means less traffic and therefore a small boost in ppt for the lowest ranked server.

Jayne, it’s a “match color to map theme” thing… Has nothing to do with what you stated.

Lol the sad part is you are probably right

Honestly, I think it’s more like to make it symmetrical. The two different maps in the middle (DBL and EBG) and the two of the same on the sides.

It has nothing to do with symmetry…

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

2. Some folks hate DBL, which means less traffic and therefore a small boost in ppt for the lowest ranked server.

Jayne, it’s a “match color to map theme” thing… Has nothing to do with what you stated.

Honestly, I think it’s more like to make it symmetrical. The two different maps in the middle (DBL and EBG) and the two of the same on the sides.

Until a 3rd map take the green or blue spot, my point still stand my friend.

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Swagger.1459

We are talking about assigning a color to a themed map.

HoT jungle theme- green colors used in advertising

Frostreach winter theme- blue

Overgrowth nature theme- green

Badlands desert theme- red

If they made a future water map it would be assigned what color?

Primordus, Jormag and Mordy would be assigned what sides in wvw and eotm?

…Color matching and assigning. Nothing to do with symmetry.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

The next expansion is around primodius the earth/fire dragon. Maps are likely to be about caves and volcanos. DBL was developed when they were working with Maguuma Wastes (Drytop and Silverwastes). What color you think a fiery badland map would be in?

We can keep going all you want. but while a 3rd map don’t come unto play I won’t change my argument.

And btw, when EotM first came out, Blue was Badlands, Green was Frostreach and Red was Overgrowth.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Im just waiting for them to continually give the biggest force the red map. Or, give actual red the red map and wait for the real. consensus of how easy defending is.

Remember, we only had DBL for 3 or so weeks into these linkings, a majority of the experience we have on it was single server. I personally don’t expect DBL to be either dead or easily defended, especially on the severly lopsided matches.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Swagger.1459

The next expansion is around primodius the earth/fire dragon. Maps are likely to be about caves and volcanos. DBL was developed when they were working with Maguuma Wastes (Drytop and Silverwastes). What color you think a fiery badland map would be in?

We can keep going all you want. but while a 3rd map don’t come unto play I won’t change my argument.

And btw, when EotM first came out, Blue was Badlands, Green was Frostreach and Red was Overgrowth.

You still haven’t answered the questions.

3rd map means nothing when it comes to assigning the appropriate color to something.

Symmetry…

“close agreement in size, shape, and position of parts that are on opposite sides of a dividing line or center : an arrangement involving regular and balanced proportions”

The question asked by another poster was “why red?”…

Red was chosen as the permanent color because it fits the desert theme, not because of symmetry.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Im just waiting for them to continually give the biggest force the red map. Or, give actual red the red map and wait for the real. consensus of how easy defending is.

Remember, we only had DBL for 3 or so weeks into these linkings, a majority of the experience we have on it was single server. I personally don’t expect DBL to be either dead or easily defended, especially on the severly lopsided matches.

Nothing is easily defended on severely loopsided matchups unless you’re on the winning server. That’s a universal truth.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

3rd maps means nothing when it comes to assigning the appropriate color to something.

Symmetry…

“close agreement in size, shape, and position of parts that are on opposite sides of a dividing line or center : an arrangement involving regular and balanced proportions”

Red was chosen as the permanent color because it fits the desert theme, not because of symmetry.

“Why red?” – Because Red borderland is the one in the middle? D’oh…

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The ideal would be to make a 3ed map the is the hardest to def but easiest to attk. So red will get the easiest to def blue will the the mid and green will get the hardest to def.
Things like EotM and OS are more side maps something i would not mind seeing more of or say an expansion building on to them. But more of an wvw environment setting with out any effect on ppt/that weeks match up.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Swagger.1459

3rd maps means nothing when it comes to assigning the appropriate color to something.

Symmetry…

Placement of map doesn’t matter, the color red would be more associated with the desert themed side out of blue, red and green…

Color matching to themes and symmetry are 2 different things.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Symmetry…

Placement of map doesn’t matter, the color red would be more associated with the desert themed side out of blue, red and green…

Color matching to themes and symmetry are 2 different things.

Until a 3rd map comes unto play, my statement still stand. Period.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: GundamSentinel.6470

GundamSentinel.6470

So asymmetric map setup for the servers. Thanks, another variable to throw the balance between servers out of whack. Really classy.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

It will be interesting to see what happens.

At first I expect DBL to be popular. Therefore, the hardest to defend. At least at first. Its new so people will go there. Heck, I hated it and I’m going to go check it out. We’ll need to wait awhile to get an objective view of which one is easier to defend.

Plus, DBL was originally encouraged to be played more in thirds. Not sure how the changes to the DBL have affected this. ABL tends to be all one color more than the DBL was that I remember. So this might lead to it being harder to defend.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Personally I would love EotM added to the mix as a second central map. It would bring all the EotM population back into WvW.

Since we would have complete variety now when the next map is released everyone could just play what they like but contribute to the same server score.

This, would be awesome. Of course I am also for finding ways to tie it into existing scoring as well even if not brought into the map group.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Red = desert
Blue = shiverpeaks(icy mountain, rocky) based design
Green = alpine, florest map based

It might go this way, it makes sense i guess.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: JackFrost.1639

JackFrost.1639

I also think three different themed maps would be a great update to WvW. However, since the north half of Alpine BL is is snowy mountain paths, a Shiverpeaks themed BL doesn’t make sense.

My idea is:

Red=Desert
Green=Alpine
Blue=Tropical

The Tropical BL could take themes, and even some model assets, from classic Lion’s Arch and the surrounding zones. The north half of the map and one keep could be Lion’s Arch themed while the south and other keep can be pirate themed. Look to Gendarran Fields and Bloodtide Coast for inspiration. This would tie in the varying types of lands found in the main pve map.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well at least there is one good thing in this, with desert next to alpine on the map maybe the people that kept arguing for desert being same size as alpine will finally kitten.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Well at least there is one good thing in this, with desert next to alpine on the map maybe the people that kept arguing for desert being same size as alpine will finally kitten.

People ever did say that? I mean, I’m not a DBL hater, but I know DBL is larger than ABL (and argueable than EBG aswell).

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

So asymmetric map setup for the servers. Thanks, another variable to throw the balance between servers out of whack. Really classy.

The players voted on it so……

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

So, with the rollback is DBL gone again? I can’t log in atm.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

So, with the rollback is DBL gone again? I can’t log in atm.

No. DBL still up. And the matchups seen to be the same as when DBL rolled in.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

I like the fact that DBL is back in but sadly the apps that interface with the game to give you the BL information don’t work on the DBL’s…

… just call me … Tim :)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

We’re red this week – I rage quit earlier and think I’ll do a PvE or jam cooking week.
It’s not just the map’s mechanics and me feeling as if I have to fight the map instead of other players – it’s kind of a monument for everything that went wrong.

No offense, I know anet are giving their best, but a bit of better planing what to do with the traitlines, when to fix OP stuff, when to release the DBL (too soon and disregarding all concerns test players had) – would’ve spared all of us a lot of heart and headache. Now they can’t just take stuff away, although they should in some cases.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Well done anet, I logged in to the most boring reset ever. Its just ktraining and backcapping on every map and the only enemy you find is on an ac. TC not even bothering with their bl, no fights anywhere, the few defenders around are siegehumping and building ac’s every 5 feet because well, what siegecap?

I wish you never came out with this map in the first place, it should have been killed off when it was first thought of. Now we are stuck with it forever and the damage is only beginning…

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Yb ppting way harder than u guys were able to in T4. Out of the 3 (cd/yb/sbi), sbi is still the one that belongs the most in T4.

Look at the scores SBI had when fighting in T4. It was higher than what CD ever reached and higher than YB right now and is currently beating SoS as well as CD clearly. CD belongs in T4 the most and I see nobody but you that doesn’t agree with that. But it will change with new linkups anyway.

Maybe you should do some actual research…..

All those posts are from SBi players. You belong in T4, if you don’t like it play better.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: GundamSentinel.6470

GundamSentinel.6470

The players voted on it so……

And there’s the problem with democracy: none of us is as stupid as all of us.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jana.6831

If so you should remember the poll correctly: There was no option to vote for NO DBL. We had no choice

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

All we need now is 1 more BL map for the rotation.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

If so you should remember the poll correctly: There was no option to vote for NO DBL. We had no choice

Well, maybe you were just distracted from this poll and its outcome : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-14-June-Desert-Borderlands-Closed/page/4#post6212591

Just to help you, here’s a quote :

The poll has ended! After removing all votes for “Don’t Count My Vote” the final results are:

65.5% No: The Desert Borderland map should continue to be supported.
34.5% Yes: The Desert Borderland map should be permanently disabled.

This means that the Desert Borderlands map will continue to be supported. Next, the Mixed Borderlands poll will be re-run to determine how the Desert Borderlands map will re-enter play. Thank you to everyone who voted!

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jana.6831

Yeah, I didn’t know that poll – maybe that was the time when I avoided the forums – or maybe didn’t play wvw.
I should’ve asked someone to inform me about the most crucial polls so I can vote. Too late now *sigh

Or: Wait a second: did that poll come after the 1 DBL, 2 ABL or… poll?

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

Yeah, I didn’t know that poll – maybe that was the time when I avoided the forums – or maybe didn’t play wvw.
I should’ve asked someone to inform me about the most crucial polls so I can vote. Too late now *sigh

It has been a huge mess. First, there was a poll with 3 options, that has eventually been cancelled, then they ran the poll I told you, and afterwards, a poll to choose between : “1DBL + 2ABL” or “3 ABL then 3DBL in a 3 months rotation”.

(edited by ThomasC.1056)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jana.6831

Alright: I stopped caring about the polls altogether after the BL poll with no option. So, anet, if you ask yourself why people are still unhappy with the DBLs although the second poll said they should come back: there’s the likely answer.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Alright: I stopped caring about the polls altogether after the BL poll with no option. So, anet, if you ask yourself why people are still unhappy with the DBLs although the second poll said they should come back: there’s the likely answer.

It’s still not a perfect map but they’ve made improvements to it. I’m more happy about variety than having no variety. And we had a blast with friends playing there last night.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Rotteny.8743

Rotteny.8743

DBL had quite a lot of action in my matchup yesterday. I had outnumbered buff all night and the map kept changing between blue and green with orange swords popping around.

Diana Strongarm / Blighter Hellena / Jasmine Fatima / Elizabeth Crowel
WvW Rank 337 (Bronze Soldier) – PvP Rank 33 (Wolf) – 3,2k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Borlis Pass (Also known as Jeknar.6184)

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

T3, EB queues on par as they were last week. No queues on ABLs. DBL, not queued but large scale fighting. Found solo, roamers, havocs and map zergs on the map during the play time and this was post restore.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

It has been a huge mess. First, there was a poll with 3 options, that has eventually been cancelled, then they ran the poll I told you, and afterwards, a poll to choose between : “1DBL + 2ABL” or “3 ABL then 3DBL in a 3 months rotation”.

You forgot to add the not so subtle threat the devs made on Reddit about not working on any new wvw maps if the players voted to permanently disable the dbl….

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jana.6831

It’s still not a perfect map but they’ve made improvements to it. I’m more happy about variety than having no variety. And we had a blast with friends playing there last night.

The improvements are old and there’s really few who enjoy that map – what sense does it make to make it a permanent equal borderland if there’s only 5 of each server on it?
They could’ve added it to EotM – that would have made more sense.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Rotteny.8743

The improvements are old and there’s really few who enjoy that map – what sense does it make to make it a permanent equal borderland if there’s only 5 of each server on it?

If there is so few people that enjoy the map, why the pool about it being discontinuated lost by almost 2:1 ratio?

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

If there is so few people that enjoy the map, why the pool about it being discontinuated lost by almost 2:1 ratio?

Because they are willing to put up with 1 kitten map that they can ignore in the hopes that Anet will work on a new map (that hopefully doesn’t suck).

LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Rotteny.8743

They don’t seen to be up to be put with that one map with all the constant moaning about DBL we read here. If it was actually true, people would just suck it up and completely ignore the existance of DBL.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Because they are willing to put up with 1 kitten map that they can ignore in the hopes that Anet will work on a new map (that hopefully doesn’t suck).

Edit: wvw players are so starved for attention that they will take any abuse as long as anet shows an interest in us.
1 kitten map>being ignored for 3 years.

LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jana.6831

I read some of the thread to the first poll: Quite a few people said they didn’t want the DBLs to be gone forever. Puck hinted what might have been a reason, I said that I lost interest in the polls when I wasn’t given a choice (also I had some other problems at that time and really: there were too many polls).
It’s a fun map to havoc with a few, but the good blob fights are in the keeps of the ABL and solo roamers are easily missed due to the map being 3 dimensional. So it’s a map for groups from 3-10. There are exceptions where people blob, I know, but still the map itself kills more than the enemy zerg.
I’m sorry but that is what I think.
I don’t want the DBLs to be gone forever as well, but I just don’t think it’s a wvw map and this is another drag for wvw in my opinion.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Rotteny.8743

Yeah but my point is: they did chose to be put up with the map, so they have no right to complain about it being there.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jana.6831

I didn’t chose – I didn’t get the memo that another poll was up.

ETA: That are some basics of statistics – not every wvw player has been asked and not every wvw player voiced their opinion. Even if it’s theoretically “all wvw players” it isn’t.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Rotteny.8743

Everyone that was doing WvW was told about the pool (They sent a mail to anyone who ranked up in WvW during the pool time). If you weren’t playing the game, it’s not their fault. They did called all active players during that time to vote.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jana.6831

You don’t really get the irony of that, do you?
And also not that you’re contradicting yourself.
I’ll leave it at that.

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

They don’t seen to be up to be put with that one map with all the constant moaning about DBL we read here. If it was actually true, people would just suck it up and completely ignore the existance of DBL.

Those are the responses from the 33% that were unwilling to compromise.

And if you ignore Anet’s threats and think about it rationally those players are correct.
Out of 100% wvw population I’d say roughly 66ish percent are going to stick to EB, mostly following whatever pug tag is there. The only time they hop to bl’s is when the tag goes. The tag knows that going to any bl is going to lose him some pugs so most don’t border hop that often. Now you have 1 bl where a large percent of players absolutely refuse to go to making the eb tag even less likely to go there, so you lose that player base.

The other 33% of players are the roaming/small group players. The majority of that group is looking for other small groups to fight. Most of these people absolutely hated the dbl because it is full of gimmicks that interfere with fighting. So the bulk of this group will stick to Alpine where they can find each other quicker and there’s a lot less pve bullkitten to interfere with the fights.

Not all if that 33% enjoy fighting, there’s about 5-10% of the wvw population that enjoy ppt’ing. They will look for whatever empty map they can find to cap things and avoid fighting. These are the players that enjoy the dbl, but they only enjoy it when they can pvd freely. If people are putting up a decent defense they will leave.

This leaves you with a map where objectives will be flipping fairly regularly but there are almost no fights to be found. That makes for a very bad wvw map.

LGN

Mixed Borderlands Update

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

You can still play the older maps if DBL is too complicated for you.
Even in T1 last night all the maps were accessible so there is really no reason to complain.