My feedback on stealth WvW

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

^^ comming from a thief…. oh the irony.

I play every character in WvW, Im not only a thief. I wish others would do the same, seems most of the people who QQ have only played 1 or 2 chars, like yourself. Hence why they need to learn the mechanics. Just look at this thread. Its full of people that are basing their opinions of dribble that they seen in a video or read somewhere and then come in stating it as fact like they have a clue.

You’re right, I know absolutely nothing about WvW & PvP & what classes can and cannot do.

Thank you…. /slaps forehead

Your welcome.

You’re.

I know, but I prefer your because Im lazy

in WvW

sostronk.8167

^^ comming from a thief…. oh the irony.

I play every character in WvW, Im not only a thief. I wish others would do the same, seems most of the people who QQ have only played 1 or 2 chars, like yourself. Hence why they need to learn the mechanics. Just look at this thread. Its full of people that are basing their opinions of dribble that they seen in a video or read somewhere and then come in stating it as fact like they have a clue.

You’re right, I know absolutely nothing about WvW & PvP & what classes can and cannot do.

Thank you…. /slaps forehead

Your welcome.

You’re.

I know, but I prefer your because Im lazy

Explains why you play a thief as your main.

Not sure where your going with that one. If I played a class I thought was easy, Id probably go ranger.

in WvW

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Lol. a ranger. that comment tells us all we need to know.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in WvW

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

the only escape I run is shadowstep, if it’s on cooldown and I’m knocked down, I’m dead. Whenever HiS is interupted I’m basically guarenteed death unless I have all other cooldowns to blow. Do you suggest I run roll for init. and shadowstep with withdraw or something? Sure, infiltrator’s is an escape, but at that point the fight is lost, and unless I combo with every other cooldown I have (SR/BP/SS/HiS) IR is still not always effective and devours all initiative within 2 arrows, which just goes back to the good ol’ rage inducing aspect of stealth, which isn’t actually a valid problem.

saying that shadow arts is overpacked isn’t an argument – I say it’s required for any spec outside of glass because it’s really the only tree that offers any surviavbility, besides a few in acro. Glass will not put a single point in SA tree for the sake of being glass. Why does everyone think traiting into stealth healing heals for so much? I regen ~350 with near maximum healing power.

Let’s take a look at the wiki – Shadow’s Rejuvenation heals for 293 + 0.1 healing power a tick. Maximum healing power without sigils is about 1400 (I think..?) so assuming you really stack so much it would heal ~440 a second. So your number is off. How is that not a lot? That’s 900 hp in 2 seconds, and with the myriad ways a thief can gain stealth, over a fight that adds up to a lot. This is a bit of a moot point though as the scaling is so-so but the base number is high so why anyone would stack so much healing power is beyond me.

My thief has 300 healing power and the regeneration is enough to face off against all but the most glass-cannony of enemies (obviously with proper usage of dodge and stealth to avoid attacks).

In addition, why should thieves not have to trait into a tree that gives survivability, or equip some form of escape ability? If you want to be so amazing at instantly bursting down someone that you devote 2 of your utility slots to doing so, is it really anyone’s fault but your own that you neglected to put in something that stops you from dying? Do you see any elementalists who run less than 2 cantrips, or mesmers who don’t have at least blink or decoy on their skill bar? Of course not, because they are probably already dead.

So yes, I suggest you actually use some of the escape skills such as blinding powder, roll for initiative, shadow refuge, shadowstep, and withdraw.

In addition shadow arts is overpacked – that’s why every non-burst thief builds into it. The synergy with stealth is ridiculous – it gives longer stealth, healing in stealth, condition removal upon stealthing, and (indirectly) more stealth by giving you initiative back whenever you stealth. It gives toughness too which is excellent for bunkers. Yes acrobatics isn’t very good, but nobody is forcing you to use it.

in WvW

sostronk.8167

I don’t think 900 health regen is alot. I mean, a warrior just one hit me for 9k and I have 1k health left and I regain 900 health, Im not going thank god for that 900 health. Im just running hoping he doesn’t get another hit on me and wishing I didn’t use shadow step trying to chase him down. And yeah, thats a common scenario for me and a major reason I try to avoid warriors :p

in WvW

Posted by: Mayhem.1935

Mayhem.1935

I don’t think 900 health regen is alot. I mean, a warrior just one hit me for 9k and I have 1k health left and I regain 900 health, Im not going thank god for that 900 health. Im just running hoping he doesn’t get another hit on me and wishing I didn’t use shadow step trying to chase him down. And yeah, thats a common scenario for me and a major reason I try to avoid warriors :p

I find that if i have any life left at all and i get into stealth i’m pretty much in the clear. Stack that with shadow refuge, which heals, and thats alot of hp pretty quickly. The few times that i do actually get downed, if i pop shadow refuge right before im back up in no time.

Shadow Arts line is tremendous, and i use it, maxing it out because it’s that good. Being a thief (atleast a p/d one) feels like im a pro football player playing in a pee wee league, it’s that silly.

-The Swindler-Mesmer —

in WvW

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i see thieves players wants:

-great burst in GC
-best mobility in game
-and also a strong defensive mechanic

Basically they wat to be all around….

Lets give them heavy armor, high starting HP and a pet ……then they will be balanced.

I just ask devs (we saw they use thieves in www) to just admit what thieves can do…

A single thief can keep a small/mid zerg busy for too much….and possible even escape.
No other class can do that.

And that is what happens in www every day.

Stealth is not only invisibility but a nice invulnerability to any targeted skill even if the skill channeling already started.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

in WvW

Columba.9730

I find that if i have any life left at all and i get into stealth i’m pretty much in the clear. Stack that with shadow refuge, which heals, and thats alot of hp pretty quickly. The few times that i do actually get downed, if i pop shadow refuge right before im back up in no time.

Shadow Arts line is tremendous, and i use it, maxing it out because it’s that good. Being a thief (atleast a p/d one) feels like im a pro football player playing in a pee wee league, it’s that silly.

Thank you for being honest regarding the opd design of your class.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in WvW

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

If thieves are blaming culling as the fundamental problem to the OP’ness of stealth, What should ANET do if they can’t fix it?

That is the question…….

People state that this is the reason for the seeming imbalance to the skills of thieves, now please state how they should fix this if culling can’t be eliminated.

This is not about crying or whining, this is about a problem that many players feel needs to be addressed…..

How can so many complaints arise if there wasn’t a problem?

Responses from the ANET dev teams would be greatly appreciated.

Not that many complaints have arised. Its just a vocal minority on an internet gaming forum.

lol wrong. Thousands of complaints. you don’t see them because the threads are deleted.

It’s not thousands of complaints.. it’s you and a bunch of other people keeping write “Stealth is OP because it’s OP!” over and over again stomping your feet.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in WvW

Columba.9730

Wrong. Reading is fundamental.

in WvW

Daendur.2357

i see thieves players wants:

-great burst in GC
-best mobility in game
-and also a strong defensive mechanic

Basically they wat to be all around….

Lets give them heavy armor, high starting HP and a pet ……then they will be balanced.

I just ask devs (we saw they use thieves in www) to just admit what thieves can do…

A single thief can keep a small/mid zerg busy for too much….and possible even escape.
No other class can do that.

And that is what happens in www every day.

Stealth is not only invisibility but a nice invulnerability to any targeted skill even if the skill channeling already started.

No please, don’t give us a pet, unless he can stealth with us, otherwise he would reveal our position.
I’m fine with heavy armor and high starting hp (30k could be ok).

in WvW

Posted by: Opynn.2936

Opynn.2936

We must face it that stealth will never be nerfed/tuned down. Only thing that we can hope for fix for culling.
Every day in wvw kill more and more thieves. Most of them (sorry to say that) are just nabz in CoF armor spaming heartseeker like there is no tomorow. Even though i can deafeat thief easily i still think stealth is OP. But im not gona post about it on forums anymore. I will do what i did in all my previous mmos. I will hunt thieves.
I hunted Bright Wizards and Witch Hunters in WAR.
I hunted speed hacking Vampires in Darkeden int.
I hunted rougues in WoW.
I will /laugh at body of every donwed theif. I’m not gona stopm them. I will just hit them from time to time to lengthen downed state. I advice you all not-theif players to do the same- adapt. L2fo-Learn to fight overpowerd-ness

Opyrr[GoT] Warrior

in WvW

Daendur.2357

We must face it that stealth will never be nerfed/tuned down. Only thing that we can hope for fix for culling.
Every day in wvw kill more and more thieves. Most of them (sorry to say that) are just nabz in CoF armor spaming heartseeker like there is no tomorow. Even though i can deafeat thief easily i still think stealth is OP. But im not gona post about it on forums anymore. I will do what i did in all my previous mmos. I will hunt thieves.
I hunted rougues in WoW.
I will /laugh at body of every donwed theif. I’m not gona stopm them. I will just hit them from time to time to lengthen downed state. I advice you all not-theif players to do the same- adapt. L2fo-Learn to fight overpowerd-ness

you’re a bad boy!

in WvW

LordByron.8369

If thieves are blaming culling as the fundamental problem to the OP’ness of stealth, What should ANET do if they can’t fix it?

That is the question…….

People state that this is the reason for the seeming imbalance to the skills of thieves, now please state how they should fix this if culling can’t be eliminated.

This is not about crying or whining, this is about a problem that many players feel needs to be addressed…..

Not that many complaints have arised. Its just a vocal minority on an internet gaming forum.

lol wrong. Thousands of complaints. you don’t see them because the threads are deleted.

It’s not thousands of complaints.. it’s you and a bunch of other people keeping write “Stealth is OP because it’s OP!” over and over again stomping your feet.

no…
That is for other classes complaints..
Stealth complaints are actually the most documented with videos (not players pwning a bunch of newbies but mechanic abuse) pics and facts.

I think they had so much feedback they should’ve seen how easily abusable stealth is but they only slowly toggle few of those abuse …just to not admit the issue is stealth itself

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in WvW

Posted by: Opynn.2936

Opynn.2936

I hunted rougues in WoW.

you’re a bad boy!

I didn’t choose the thug life, the thug life chose me.

Man up people. Grow some balls. Whining on froum will not change anything.

Opyrr[GoT] Warrior

in WvW

Daendur.2357

That is the question…….

no…
Stealth complaints are actually the most documented with videos (not players pwning a bunch of newbies but mechanic abuse) pics and facts.

I think they had so much feedback they should’ve seen how easily abusable stealth is but they only slowly toggle few of those abuse …just to not admit the issue is stealth itself

stealth abuse has been removed last patch, removing the possibility to stack stealth hitting walls.
If a thief enter stealth by c&d you and you can’t evade/blind/block/immune/daze/kb/kd it’s only your problem and you can record it thousands of times the only results will be thousands of videos showing bad players getting owned.

in WvW

Posted by: Moderator.9672

Moderator.9672

Hello everyone, please keep on sharing your opinions in a friendly way.

Thanks

in WvW

LordByron.8369

That is the question…….

no…

stealth abuse has been removed last patch, removing the possibility to stack stealth hitting walls.
If a thief enter stealth by c&d you and you can’t evade/blind/block/immune/daze/kb/kd it’s only your problem and you can record it thousands of times the only results will be thousands of videos showing bad players getting owned.

wrong…

They fixed for the 3rd or 4th time FEW stealth abuses.

There are still too many…. and as i said its not bad players getting killed.

Its more about vids of thing like
-insane bursts from stealth with numbers and build.
-permastealths in various forms…..

i repeat the issue is that thieves are fine with them able to have a burst opening and a strong escape mechanic if they fail…

Its exactly what anet said is unfair for warriors…
Being able to go glass cannon without the risk of being glass cannons.

And that is not even the only issue…

GW2 balance:

in WvW

sostronk.8167

I used to like Shadow refuge, but Im seriously considering dropping it. It seems the WvW community, at least the ones I face, are learning its simple mechanics. If I have 2k health I don’t gamble on it anymore. Every class has something that can deal with this scenario, so its a gamble on whether they are good or bad players (in a situation where you rely on it for survival). I used to feel fine dropping it whenever I liked, but most days players know if you drop AoE or any kind of CC is going to make it redundant. The only time I really find SRefuge all that useful is when dropping it before I go into a fight, but its not that great. Unless your near full health its gonna get you killed. Although thats a GC thief talking and survivability is pretty much completely reliant of stealth and outplaying opponents.

With my playstyle, with mobility and chasing down players and attempting to pull players away from where they should be/distracting them, its not really fitting for me. I just don’t like to stay in one place for long. Ive been playing around with switching it out with roll for initiative, but Im yet to see that add "survivability"in most scenarios I get into.

in WvW

Posted by: Piedplat.3597

Piedplat.3597

It was a very balanced fight.

Yeah a VERY balanced fight, sure you never see your ennemy, even in spvp with out culling, is really a pain fighting that kind of build. At least is a D/D a P/D is more abusive.

Balance, I didnt see balance in that.

/Piedplat Ranger80/Palissade Guardian80/Mystyphika Mesmer80/ ArmataTenebrae[AT] BG
http://www.armata.ca/

in WvW

Daendur.2357

wrong…

They fixed for the 3rd or 4th time FEW stealth abuses.

There are still too many…. and as i said its not bad players getting killed.

Its more about vids of thing like
-insane bursts from stealth with numbers and build.
-permastealths in various forms…..

i repeat the issue is that thieves are fine with them able to have a burst opening and a strong escape mechanic if they fail…

Its exactly what anet said is unfair for warriors…
Being able to go glass cannon without the risk of being glass cannons.

And that is not even the only issue…

oh I see, you are right, and I strongly agree with you, except that videos are montages showing:
- thieves performing useless permastealth (what the hell is the meaning of that) with specific build;
- GC thieves doing insane damage on 1 target and then “next clip”.
- bad players getting trolled by c&d

it’s not possible to do everything.

if you find other stealth issues (like c&d on walls) please submit them so a fix will come.

in WvW

Sunflowers.1729

There are 2 kinds of permastealth:

A player chaining stealth skills to stay in stealth forever- this isn’t a problem in my opinion as they can’t do anything back to you either.

A player using very spammable stealthing abilities that allow a thief (usually D/P or P/D) to be near-unkillable while still outputting high amounts of damage. As someone who plays a thief like this, it is overpowered since you don’t need to build overtly tanky and can still have bunker-levels of survivability.

That’s what some of us mean by ‘permastealth’.

in WvW

Daendur.2357

A player chaining stealth skills to stay in stealth forever- this isn’t a problem in my opinion as they can’t do anything back to you either.

A player using very spammable stealthing abilities that allow a thief (usually D/P or P/D) to be near-unkillable while still outputting high amounts of damage. As someone who plays a thief like this, it is overpowered since you don’t need to build overtly tanky and can still have bunker-levels of survivability.

P/D requires c&d to keep on stealthing and that’s where it comes to bad opponents not able to negate a c&d.

D/P has a straight access to stealth but it requires 9 initiative out of 12 and it is hardly spammable. Of course traits can help here.

Anyway they are not “near-unkillable” especially if they want to do some kill.

in WvW

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

What I would like to see changed:
-Decreased movement speed when stealthed.
-Longer stealth CD times and/or shorter stealth duration times and/or longer revealed buff.
-A skill that can detect stealthed players, and give revealed buff.

So you want Pistol/Dagger and Sword/Dagger to be rendered worthless so all thieves will be forced to run Dagger mainhand heartseeker spamming builds?

I believe there are no P/D or S/D thieves anyway. The only Thieves I see are using dual dagger or Shortbow

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

-Longer stealth CD times and/or shorter stealth duration times and/or longer revealed buff.

So you want Pistol/Dagger and Sword/Dagger to be rendered worthless so all thieves will be forced to run Dagger mainhand heartseeker spamming builds?

I believe there are no P/D or S/D thieves anyway. The only Thieves I see are using dual dagger or Shortbow

No S/P or P/P anymore either, D/D and D/P are usually all I see also, there is to much incentive to playing D/D. And nothing annoys me more in this game than watching bad thieves spam heartseeker all day, I will chase these buggers down for days on my Necro just to watch them die LOL.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

for start i want you to post your 150k wvwvw kills, cause i know a lot of warriors /guardians with that ammount.

NO, you really don’t.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

I think 90% of the frustration comes from stealthy classes not having to entirely commit to a fight: mostly because of “getting revenge.” You get killed by a few thieves a few times and eventually they are ‘blur’ into the same player, you finally get a thief to the brink of death and poof they are gone – you have just been denied your chance for revenge and the QQ ensues. Knockdown etc. etc. is a valid argument, but you won’t necessarily have enough of it on the class you are playing; and building to counter thieves is building to make yourself vulnerable to or less effective against other classes (tankiness is a viable counter build that retains its general utility, however the thief will eventually whittle you down).

Entering a skirmish (especially 1v1) in WvW is rarely a choice. If you happen across a thief in the open field by pure coincidence, you are committed by consequence and not choice, for basically any class match-up except a thief (blink-, leap- and invulnerability-type abilities only get you so far, and it’s easy to chase them).

This is a problem that is exempt from culling because, as said, it’s in regard to the open-field/roaming where there are virtually no other players who can take priority in servers’ culling queues.

In other words the other classes need a way to net kills apart from knockdown. In other words turn stealth into a boon (or a stack of boons), making it eligible for boon removal.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

It should be like it was in Knight online, the stealthed player is stealthed and will not know if the enemy se him or not and for the one that have show stealthed players running it is like a friendly stealthed player and you then ofc can aim and hit him.

As i sugested before Rangers have solo show stealthed players and Engineer have “AOE” show stealthed players, so all that are close to the engineer or in group with the engineer see stealthed players, the skill should last around 30sec when same CD, then they can /should also add “food” that do solo se stealthed players that last for 20sec and have 30-40sec CD.

Make utility googles reveal stealthed players… There you go, the engineer becomes useful as a class (anti-stealth) and stealth has a an effective hard counter but requires specialization to use. May want to add a similar utility to necros as well.

This happened in DAoC as well. The ranger/hunter/scout class had a passive ability allowing them to detect stealth. They further had a usable ability with a cooldown that made stealth obsolete to them for a short period. Sorry, dont remember the names but w/e.

If they add a stealth detection it needs to be unable to force revealed. Maybe give the thief a the transparent model allies see them as. Otherwise the detection skill would become a “Shutdown” Skill for the non-D/x stealthers. Stealth might need a statistical buff too to cope with the fact that the thief will have the tankiness of a boonless Ele, with no healing power or vigor.

(edited by Shadow.3475)

in WvW

Sunflowers.1729

P/D requires c&d to keep on stealthing and that’s where it comes to bad opponents not able to negate a c&d.

D/P has a straight access to stealth but it requires 9 initiative out of 12 and it is hardly spammable. Of course traits can help here.

I use the D/P build all the time and stealth is extremely spammable, especially since you have Blinding Powder and Hide in Shadows. Not sure why anybody believes stealth is hard to enter in combat. I literally stealth every 3-4 seconds. Go on, try it:

30 points into Shadow Arts with 2 initiative regen upon stealthing.
Dagger + Pistol
Blinding Powder & Hide in Shadows (and Shadow Refuge for more silliness).

The damage is amazing with a free backstab every time too. If I don’t have the revealed debuff, I am in stealth or will enter it within 1-2 seconds. Don’t even need to CnD off anything.

in WvW

Daendur.2357

I use the D/P build all the time and stealth is extremely spammable, especially since you have Blinding Powder and Hide in Shadows. Not sure why anybody believes stealth is hard to enter in combat. I literally stealth every 3-4 seconds. Go on, try it:

30 points into Shadow Arts with 2 initiative regen upon stealthing.
Dagger + Pistol
Blinding Powder & Hide in Shadows (and Shadow Refuge for more silliness).

The damage is amazing with a free backstab every time too. If I don’t have the revealed debuff, I am in stealth or will enter it within 1-2 seconds. Don’t even need to CnD off anything.

Well, indeed I was thinking about it, since last change to Shadow Shot, but I’m a little afraid from the high ini cost of the combo.

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

No S/P or P/P anymore either, D/D and D/P are usually all I see also, there is to much incentive to playing D/D. And nothing annoys me more in this game than watching bad thieves spam heartseeker all day, I will chase these buggers down for days on my Necro just to watch them die LOL.

I am an S/D thief, but admittedly the only one I’ve seen. I’ve run into a few P/D and have one in my guild, but yeah, 90% of thieves I see are D/D or D/P backstabbers. I’d say it goes D/D, D/P, P/D, S/D, S/P, P/P which is also the distribution of thief complaints. I think I’ve only ever seen one S/D complaint ever and S/P dropped off the map after the Pistol Whip nerf.

@Svarty: From what I’ve seen Whirlwind Attack do, I wouldn’t be surprised it some Warriors have very high kill record. I can imagine if they used it in the middle of a zerg they could down 6 people.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

You’re required to run 30 in Shadowarts because its absolutely amazing as a line.

Its got more utility packed in it then most other classes have in all their lines..

Your complaints about CC are hilarious at best.

Thieves have multiple escapes that are far better then most classes.

the only escape I run is shadowstep, if it’s on cooldown and I’m knocked down, I’m dead. Whenever HiS is interupted I’m basically guarenteed death unless I have all other cooldowns to blow. Do you suggest I run roll for init. and shadowstep with withdraw or something? Sure, infiltrator’s is an escape, but at that point the fight is lost, and unless I combo with every other cooldown I have (SR/BP/SS/HiS) IR is still not always effective and devours all initiative within 2 arrows, which just goes back to the good ol’ rage inducing aspect of stealth, which isn’t actually a valid problem.

saying that shadow arts is overpacked isn’t an argument – I say it’s required for any spec outside of glass because it’s really the only tree that offers any surviavbility, besides a few in acro. Glass will not put a single point in SA tree for the sake of being glass. Why does everyone think traiting into stealth healing heals for so much? I regen ~350 with *near maximum healing power.*

Going to call bullkitten on this guy, I have 800 healing power, The Stealth Rejuv is healing for close to 400 right now…

as for stealth’s, You have Blinding Powder(which works while stunned mind you)/SR/and if you’re smart, stealing from random mobs for the stealth there + Hide in Shadows.

This is not taking into account CND (which you might not be running).

Now unless you’re running S/P you have access to easy steath… and even S/P gives you the ability to run a second weapon set with easy stealth

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in WvW

Posted by: Daeqar.8965

Daeqar.8965

Secondly, if Spvp and WvWvW are the same, how about we balance thieves in WvWvW the same way they are balanced in Spvp?

Because there not the same… Far from it.

They’re not, it he claimed that they were!

If you actually believe that, I encourage you to re-read my post and the one it quoted and engage in some critical thinking. Clearly, I made no such claim, and I’ll assume your misinterpretation is just an honest mistake rather than intentional.

in WvW

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Since this thread is not inviting to constructive and healthy discussion, it is now closed.

Thank you!