Necro VS LB Ranger in WvW 1v1

in WvW

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

Assuming both players are good with their classes,

if you are playing a necro, you are going to cry if you meet a LB ranger in WvW.
90% of the time you are going to get crushed.

BUT if you really want to do better against a ranger in WvW, doing one or all of this will help you, from most effective to least effective:

*use the elite skill plague form and enter it for long stability with increased toughness and HP and use it to close the gap to the ranger
Analysis: Probably the BEST way you are going to get close to a good ranger because he can’t do a thing to stop you from coming closer UNLESS he turns and run the other way but most rangers don’t so ssssshhhh!

*you trait for stability upon entering deathshroud
Analysis: 3 seconds of stability, combine with a dodge and try to DS 2+3 the ranger when you get in range!

*use utility spectral walk and run AWAY from the ranger, make him chase you, then teleport BACK when he is close or past your starting spectral walk point so that you end up right near him
Analysis: MOST LB rangers are going to chase you and run right into your spectral walk start point in which case VOILA you are right near them when you teleport back…yes they are that dumb sssshhhhh!

*use utility spectral grasp to pull the ranger in
Analysis: Try to combine this with a fear so the ranger doesn’t dodge it BUT without stability you may not get close fast enough to even pull this off!

*you trait for retaliation upon entering deathshroud
Analysis: Not going to help you much to close the gap but returning some of the RF damage is better than nothing while you try to gap close with other means!

*pack your utility bar with 3 stun breaks and just use your DS to tank out the RF damage and do the usual running and dodging to get close
Analysis: Um well aren’t we all doing this now? XD

FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR TIPS AND TRICKS!

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in WvW

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

That is assuming u play power necro right? cuz if you play condi there is no way in hell a ranger power or condi ranger can beat you.

in WvW

Rampage.7145

U can also, condi or power run spectral armor as stunbreaker, if he uses pointblanshot as oppening to go for RF just pop it, protection is extremly powerfull vs power classes then just try to outburst him. If you see him popping his stability elite just try LOS and kite until that fades off, after that chills fears and just damage u should be able to easy deal with the ranger, just make sure u run +40% condi duration for roaming power or condi chills, fears, crippples are a kitten for a power ranger or any other class with poor condi removal.

in WvW

Rampage.7145

U can also, condi or power run spectral armor as stunbreaker, if he uses pointblanshot as oppening to go for RF just pop it, protection is extremly powerfull vs power classes then just try to outburst him. If you see him popping his stability elite just try LOS and kite until that fades off, after that chills fears and just damage u should be able to easy deal with the ranger, just make sure u run +40% condi duration for roaming power or condi chills, fears, crippples are a kitten for a power ranger or any other class with poor condi removal.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

That is assuming u play power necro right? cuz if you play condi there is no way in hell a ranger power or condi ranger can beat you.

Actually a condi ranger has a pretty good chance of beating a condi necro especially if the ranger is running regen. Rangers can cleanse conditions pretty fast and have a good amount of evades to avoid having their conditions returned to them.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Rampage.7145

All that it takes for the necro is to run plague signet wait for the range to put 12 bleeds and fire on you pop it, use fear+necro condi burst GG ranger. not very hard to tell when the ranger is evading sword is very telegraphted. That assuming u are runnnig a condi burst ranger spec with axe and stuff, if you are just running a self heal spec, well u should not be playing wvw at all.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

No idea why you think that ranger would let necro get close enough actually use skills. 1500 > 1200.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

All that it takes for the necro is to run plague signet wait for the range to put 12 bleeds and fire on you pop it, use fear+necro condi burst GG ranger. not very hard to tell when the ranger is evading sword is very telegraphted. That assuming u are runnnig a condi burst ranger spec with axe and stuff, if you are just running a self heal spec, well u should not be playing wvw at all.

You are kidding right? A regen condi ranger is pretty much unlikable in a 1v1. High toughness, kitten near immune to conditions and still able to condi burst most things into the ground. In small group fights where the ranger is pretty much always targeted first you can evade around, out healing any damage you take while your friends rip them apart. I’m guessing you run in the zerg.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

300 range is hardly insurmountable… but swiftness really helps. Swiftness, not just 25% movement because there’s a good chance the ranger is sporting it too. And so does LOS. It’s a great thing marks are nice big circles though.

No offense to OP because it is very hard to fight and I think the advantage goes to the ranger if you run power, but if you’re giving advice like this, then of course you’re losing 90% of fights to LB rangers.

First off, taking Foot in the Grave for stability is a BAD idea for 1v1. You do not go this deep in soul reaping just for that. The Ranger’s PBS is on a 15 second cooldown untraited, comes out fast, and you must preemptively get DS for stability, of which you had to not been in ds. Why not take Death Perception which gives you a chance to actually kill the ranger? Rangers aren’t warriors that have spammable stuns. You take stunbreaks, not stability to get through.

Plague form is also a bad idea as you move slower, has no range and thus no pressure, so the ranger will laugh at you (yes they will have time to use the emote), barrage you, and just walk away until your plague form is wasted. Why not use flesh golem, and knock him down? Or use lich form and shrug off his attacks, also gaining stability anyways. Though yes, for lich form can only be used if you managed to get through.

The spectral walk won’t work on a ranger that knows what they’re doing. . Use Spectral Walk for stunbreak and to get yourself out of trouble.

The way to put away a ranger is fear. Thankfully, staff 5 is a nice circle so you don’t have to be within 1200 range to hit him with it. It’s also practically unavoidable. Then you also get them with your DS 3, another fear that is nearly impossible to counter. The ranger may counter with stability… wait no they can’t; all their stability has a cast time.

A unheard of tactic is to walk away from them. (dodge away). Longbow has zero pursuit ability, unless they switch to their GS, in which case it would be a good time to turn around and pound them with everything.

It is true that a ranger has an advantage in the open field and extreme advantage when they have a terrain advantage. Don’t let that happen, and use obstacles to block his arrows.

Anyhow, don’t take this too seriously. It’s just that I think the tactics in OP are only good for prolonging death and not for actually winning. Necros are good at that, but a necro that doesn’t actively try to pressure and simply prays that their opponent will do something stupid is generally dead anyways.

Oh, and yes, condi rangers are far more devastating. >.>

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

The game isn’t balanced aorund 1v1, as a necro you just need to accept an equal skilled power ranger will hard counter you since you can’t do anything against projectiles or reach them if they play properly.

But yes if he’s worse than you all you need to do is miraculously get into melee range, it’s hilarious how many rangers refuse to swap off of longbow. But like I said those are bad rangers.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

in WvW

Rampage.7145

You are kidding right? A regen condi ranger is pretty much unlikable in a 1v1. High toughness, kitten near immune to conditions and still able to condi burst most things into the ground. In small group fights where the ranger is pretty much always targeted first you can evade around, out healing any damage you take while your friends rip them apart. I’m guessing you run in the zerg.

Just as u don’t take any damage u don’t do any damage either… Playing condi regen in WvW is kittened, if you go on a team u do no support, no damage, so basilly u are just a punching bag, what is gonna happen is that any near decent enemy team will kill all your friends first (since they have 1 useless condi/regen ranger on the team it should not be a problem) and then they will kill you, not even all the regen in the world will save you from a 2 v 1 vs 2 decent players. If you decide u wanna roam alone what is gonna happen is u will get rofstomped in any outnumbered situation since u lack mobility, this is also bad when u try to chase somebody runnig away from you to get into a tower or to NPCs. Nobody plays or should play this kind of build other than dueling in the OS, but then again that is not WvW.

(edited by Rampage.7145)

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Not true.

I’ve beat many of them sitting on a zerk ranger; and that’s after being jumped and them getting the first couple skills in. Even killed them sitting in their own wells before the LB was even buffed.

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Just as u don’t take any damage u don’t do any damage either… Playing condi regen in WvW is kittened, if you go on a team u do no support, no damage, so basilly u are just a punching bag, what is gonna happen is that any near decent enemy team will kill all your friends first (since they have 1 useless condi/regen ranger on the team it should not be a problem) and then they will kill you, not even all the regen in the world will save you from a 2 v 1 vs 2 decent players. If you decide u wanna roam alone what is gonna happen is u will get rofstomped in any outnumbered situation since u lack mobility, this is also bad when u try to chase somebody runnig away from you to get into a tower or to NPCs. Nobody plays or should play this kind of build other than dueling in the OS, but then again that is not WvW.

Lack mobility?! Perma swiftness, lighting reflexes, leaps and evades for days with sword/dagger, oh and plenty of soft and hard cc to open or close the distance.

Oh and no damage? With food and stacks I’m usually sitting at about 2k condi damage before you add in might stacking. That means my burns alone are ticking for 800+ damage and I’m also applying poison, torment, a crap ton of bleeds, and good direct damage from my bird.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

I main a power necro for wvw, and dont have any problems with rangers, they are predicatable and easy to counter. Its more about knowing the class then anything else, knowing what skills to use when, when to pop DS, etc

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

How do you support this claim? Necro’s destroy other professions using conditions against them as a general rule.

How are rangers “immune to conditions” ?

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

I would guess Survival of the Fittest + Empathetic bond. You’d lose 3 condis every 10 seconds, and each survival skill would remove 2 condis.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

I would guess Survival of the Fittest + Empathetic bond. You’d lose 3 condis every 10 seconds, and each survival skill would remove 2 condis.

Dont forget Healing spring which can remove conditions as well as signet of renewal which can be activated to transfer all conditions to a pet

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

A good necro should have no problem with Rangers. If you hit them with chill, they are done. DS2 or Staff 3 is a great utility. Also, dagger 3 (I run power necro) is a good root if you want to use daggers or wells. I personally haven’t found a Rangers who can beat me. I have no doubt there is one out there, just haven’t found it yet.

in WvW

EremiteAngel.9765

TY for all the replies! Much appreciated! I had a good laugh and teared as I read through. Now let me reply to them!

Firstly I am a ‘hybrid’ necro. 1800+ power, 1500+ condi, 34% crit chance.
Some ppl claim i am still a condi necro but that is irrelevant!

Not true! The point here isn’t whether you are power or condi or hybrid! The point is whether you can even get close fast and efficiently enough to even start engaging the ranger!

just make sure u run +40% condi duration for roaming power or condi chills, fears, crippples are a kitten for a power ranger or any other class with poor condi removal.

You have not fought a good power ranger traited with anti-condi traits then! You will cry when you face one! They have insane condi removals!

U can also, condi or power run spectral armor as stunbreaker, if he uses pointblanshot as oppening to go for RF just pop it, protection is extremly powerfull vs power classes then just try to outburst him.

Agreed that is one way to close the gap!

Actually a condi ranger has a pretty good chance of beating a condi necro especially if the ranger is running regen. Rangers can cleanse conditions pretty fast and have a good amount of evades to avoid having their conditions returned to them.

I feel condi ranger vs condi necro is 50/50! But advantage to the necro! if he times his condi returns well, like after the ranger dodges and stuff, advantage to necro!

All that it takes for the necro is to run plague signet wait for the range to put 12 bleeds and fire on you pop it, use fear+necro condi burst GG ranger.

Shall we assume it was a chance encounter with no time to check if the ranger is condi/power and no time to swap utilities? I don’t think many necros actually run around with plague signet active! Correct me if I am wrong! But ya if you do run plague signet then I agree with Rampage! advantage to you against other condi classes!

No idea why you think that ranger would let necro get close enough actually use skills. 1500 > 1200.

^ This! Well said Junkpile. I agree! BUT you won’t stop a good necro from getting into range, the only variable here is how much life/DS the necro has left when he gets into range!

And so does LOS. It’s a great thing marks are nice big circles though.

What is LOS? Sorry I noob. uh actually not totally noob. but…uh what is LOS? Thanks in advance!

in WvW

EremiteAngel.9765

No offense to OP because it is very hard to fight and I think the advantage goes to the ranger if you run power, but if you’re giving advice like this, then of course you’re losing 90% of fights to LB rangers.

None taken! In fact, thank you for taking the time to respond! To clarify, I don’t lose 90% of the fights to LB rangers. I lose 90% of the fights to GOOD LB rangers =D. There is a difference! Which so far there is just one, and his name is GLAD from BLACKGATE.

First off, taking Foot in the Grave for stability is a BAD idea for 1v1. You do not go this deep in soul reaping just for that. The Ranger’s PBS is on a 15 second cooldown untraited, comes out fast, and you must preemptively get DS for stability, of which you had to not been in ds.

Hmmmm I think you have a point here. I was thinking of ways to gap close to the ranger without taking too much damage and I was thinking using it as an opening to run to the ranger with stability on is a viable method! One could build around going max into the shroud traits, like for example a Tanky Full Condi Necro! BUT for a hybrid like me and for a Power Necro I would think it is not wise! and like you said Death Perception would be better for a Power Necro!

Plague form is also a bad idea as you move slower, has no range and thus no pressure, so the ranger will laugh at you (yes they will have time to use the emote), barrage you, and just walk away until your plague form is wasted. Why not use flesh golem, and knock him down? Or use lich form and shrug off his attacks, also gaining stability anyways. Though yes, for lich form can only be used if you managed to get through.

UH I dont think you actually move slower in plague! Also plague gives insane toughness and vitality! and STABILITY! he won’t tickle you much with his rapid fire/barrage and can’t knock you back!

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plague

Good thing is most rangers don’t walk away, they try to tickle you with their barrage/rapid fire!

Could you expand more on lich form? like what range it has, how to use it to gap close to the ranger? I have never used lich form! it is a foreign skill to me!

Golem not really because he is also capped at 1200 charge range! The point of this thread is how do you get near enough to the Ranger most efficiently!

Not what to do AFTER you get into range!

in WvW

EremiteAngel.9765

The spectral walk won’t work on a ranger that knows what they’re doing. . Use Spectral Walk for stunbreak and to get yourself out of trouble.

I agree with this! I seldom get to use this though cause I am not usually on Spectral Walk but the few times I tried it, it worked! perhaps those rangers were just not good enough =D

A unheard of tactic is to walk away from them. (dodge away). Longbow has zero pursuit ability

Can a GOOD ranger who is reading this confirm this quote above? Because I am not too sure if a LB auto attack cannot track a running target…
If you mean he can’t chase you with a LB then um I dont really agree either because assuming you were already in his range, he could dodge after you and still be in range

extreme advantage when they have a terrain advantage. Don’t let that happen, and use obstacles to block his arrows.

Totally agree! Give a ranger a hill to stand on or fight him near a body of water and you are asking for trouble!

It’s just that I think the tactics in OP are only good for prolonging death and not for actually winning

Uh no that is not the point of my thread! T_T
What I am trying to drive at is, HOW TO GET CLOSER TO THE LB RANGER MOST EFFICIENTLY to actually start the fight.

in WvW

EremiteAngel.9765

The game isn’t balanced aorund 1v1, as a necro you just need to accept an equal skilled power ranger will hard counter you since you can’t do anything against projectiles or reach them if they play properly.

I agree! Which is why this thread popped up to find ways to get closer to them efficiently D=

Not true.

I’ve beat many of them sitting on a zerk ranger; and that’s after being jumped and them getting the first couple skills in. Even killed them sitting in their own wells before the LB was even buffed.

well…if they jumped you it means they WERE IN RANGE. which well, I understand you were replying to Rampage’s incredible claim that a condi necro shouldn’t lose to any ranger. Which I understand isn’t true either. So no comments.

I main a power necro for wvw, and dont have any problems with rangers, they are predicatable and easy to counter. Its more about knowing the class then anything else, knowing what skills to use when, when to pop DS, etc

I can’t say for a power necro because I have not fought as one against a good LB ranger before! But I would think that a power necro MIGHT have an easier time trading blows with the LB ranger from 1200 range with DS’ auto blasts! I say might because you still need to make that 300 range run to get into range, and our blasts are slow and easily dodged. But anyway that is not the point of this thread! it is how to get close to the ranger! not how to fight him when you get in range!

^ THIS D=
Have you condi necros fought a ranger with this? Prepare to struggle T_T
But anyway that is not the point of this thread! it is how to get close to the ranger! not how to fight him when you get in range!

A good necro should have no problem with Rangers. If you hit them with chill, they are done. DS2 or Staff 3 is a great utility. Also, dagger 3 (I run power necro) is a good root if you want to use daggers or wells. I personally haven’t found a Rangers who can beat me. I have no doubt there is one out there, just haven’t found it yet.

That is not the point of this thread T_T
It is not what to do when you get in range…it is how you get in range fast and well and what skills or evades or HP or DS to sacrifice in order to get in range T_T

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Its all about builds and skill level…

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

(assuming the players have the same skill level on power builds)

Fitg is a great way to keep on your toes while expecting a knock back especially vs pew pew rangers in WvW. (Retal + cleanse in DS)
Positioning determines the fight, LoS (line of sight) determines the place.

But put a ranger and necro on flat ground without cover and the necro has to have lifeforce to engage, has to blow his stunbreak and cleanse when getting close and finally try finish the ranger. (iow catch rapid fire, roots, the pets cc and the knock back) if you succeded with that then the ranger can be killed.) once you are close and the ranger doesn’t kite, then the ranger should be lunch.

If the ranger knows how to kite you have blown your cd’s and you need to hide/run or go all out in the hope the ranger makes a mistake.

The approach (start of the fight) is crucial, if the pew pew gets the jump on you from elevated range, it’s a auto K.O. (yeah yeah but lifeforce yep yep..) no. you dead period.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

EremiteAngel.9765

(assuming the players have the same skill level on power builds)

Fitg is a great way to keep on your toes while expecting a knock back especially vs pew pew rangers in WvW. (Retal + cleanse in DS)
Positioning determines the fight, LoS (line of sight) determines the place.

But put a ranger and necro on flat ground without cover and the necro has to have lifeforce to engage, has to blow his stunbreak and cleanse when getting close and finally try finish the ranger. (iow catch rapid fire, roots, the pets cc and the knock back) if you succeded with that then the ranger can be killed.) once you are close and the ranger doesn’t kite, then the ranger should be lunch.

If the ranger knows how to kite you have blown your cd’s and you need to hide/run or go all out in the hope the ranger makes a mistake.

The approach (start of the fight) is crucial, if the pew pew gets the jump on you from elevated range, it’s a auto K.O. (yeah yeah but lifeforce yep yep..) no. you dead period.

Best reply so far IMO =D

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Line of sight is your best friend. If you get caught in the open, don’t try any fancy tricks. You’re probably dead. If you have anything to obstruct them with, use it and be patient. Standing behind an object for 10seconds before moving again will only result in you getting killed. Stay there and force the Ranger to make a choice, get close to you, or leave. And you probably wouldn’t be surprised at how many leave…

IMO, it’s not worth trying to juke them with Spectral Walk, pull them with Spectral Grasp or wasting your elite. You make some interesting suggestions but in the end, if they want to kite you to death they will and there isn’t a lot you can do about it. Use the “look behind” option as often as possible while you’re solo and if you ever see a Ranger find something to body block for you.

Also note that the pet will ignore your LOS but killing it is always a good idea anyway. Wreck that pest and deny them any benefits they get from having an active companion.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

How do you support this claim? Necro’s destroy other professions using conditions against them as a general rule.

How are rangers “immune to conditions” ?

Empathetic Bond, Signet Of Renewal, Survival Of The Fittest, Healing Spring, “Shake It Off!”, Melandru, Hoelbrak or Antitoxin runes, lol, conditions.

For a while I was running an attrition trapper. I’ve since gone back to full offensive trapper but the attrition build was hilariously easy to play 1v1. Antitoxin runes, 2 traps, Signet Of Renewal + Empathetic Bond (= 4 conditions removed every 10sec + all conditions removed if signet activated) and brown bear just for that extra “Shake It Off!”. Unless the Necro is running Signet Of Spite and chain fearing you after activation you’re probably going to be fine. Even then, pop Signet Of Renewal and the Necro just wasted their burst. Rangers have extremely good passive condition management especially if built for it. Necro’s can definitely lay on some heavy sustained pressure and it’s not to say an attrition Ranger will always beat a Necro but they have a darn good chance.

EDIT: Lol, I see a few people disagreeing with you, Jim..They’ve obviously never played a trapper (;

(edited by SpellOfIniquity.1780)

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

Oh, that is simply going to happen because I do believe you are at a disadvantage. But it did seem like we were talking about 2 diffrent things; I was talking about power, and apparently you are a hybrid. In this case it’s possible that you’re simply being build countered.

Quote system sucks, sorry.

First off, taking Foot in the Grave for stability is a BAD idea for 1v1. You do not go this deep in soul reaping just for that. The Ranger’s PBS is on a 15 second cooldown untraited, comes out fast, and you must preemptively get DS for stability, of which you had to not been in ds.

Hmmmm I think you have a point here. I was thinking of ways to gap close to the ranger without taking too much damage and I was thinking using it as an opening to run to the ranger with stability on is a viable method! One could build around going max into the shroud traits, like for example a Tanky Full Condi Necro! BUT for a hybrid like me and for a Power Necro I would think it is not wise! and like you said Death Perception would be better for a Power Necro![/quote][/quote]

IMO, you would be better off not going so deep in soul reaping.

UH I dont think you actually move slower in plague! Also plague gives insane toughness and vitality! and STABILITY! he won’t tickle you much with his rapid fire/barrage and can’t knock you back!

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plague

Good thing is most rangers don’t walk away, they try to tickle you with their barrage/rapid fire!

Could you expand more on lich form? like what range it has, how to use it to gap close to the ranger? I have never used lich form! it is a foreign skill to me!

You actaully do move slower in plague; I use it to escape often. You can combine it with warhorn 5 though. However, lich form also has stability too and increased vitality. It also has powerful ranged spells. However, if you’re a condi build, plague form is better, but I don’t see condi builds having these things.

Also, they certainly wouldn’t fire at you when you’re in plague except barrage— which would make you really slow. Basically, they can always increase the gap.

Golem not really because he is also capped at 1200 charge range! The point of this thread is how do you get near enough to the Ranger most efficiently!

It is much harder for him to kite both you and the golem, if he has to keep trying to dodge it.

Like I said, 300-500 range isn’t like some massive gulf. If he’s staying at max range then he can’t chase you well. The general LB/GS build has at most 25% movement speed and does not have permaswiftness. Necros have a source of swiftness.

Can a GOOD ranger who is reading this confirm this quote above? Because I am not too sure if a LB auto attack cannot track a running target…
If you mean he can’t chase you with a LB then um I dont really agree either because assuming you were already in his range, he could dodge after you and still be in range

I’m not a good ranger, but…

You’re generally proposing a scenario where this ranger perfectly keeps away from you and is unreachable so you can’t attack him. Arrows can certainly hit you, but are we playing across a completely flat field with no end? There aren’t any obstacles in the way that obstruct arrows? My point was that if you’re outside arrow range, the ranger can really only chase you.

Anyhow, consider the longbow skills:
1— Long range shot
2— Rapid fire
3— Hunter’s shot
4— Point Blank Shot
5— Barrage (cripple)

Of these, only one can restrict your movement or bring him closer, and that is barrage, the hardest to land.

If we’re talking about a ranger that somehow manages to stay between 1201-1600 range all the time, well, kitten . I don’t think that happens much, does it?

Totally agree! Give a ranger a hill to stand on or fight him near a body of water and you are asking for trouble!

Yes, you can’t really win those fights.

Uh no that is not the point of my thread! T_T
What I am trying to drive at is, HOW TO GET CLOSER TO THE LB RANGER MOST EFFICIENTLY to actually start the fight.

Fair enough. I have just seen too many people die because people devote everything to closing the gap, only for the ranger to pop their stone signet and blast them away. >.> Let’s just say when I’m on my ranger, this is actually how I want them to feel. I like greeting them with a maul when they show up. xD

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

ArchonWing.9480

Dont forget Healing spring which can remove conditions as well as signet of renewal which can be activated to transfer all conditions to a pet

You certainly can, however, that would seem to be overkill.

Troll Unguent generally provides a better balance against your durability from both kinds of damage and gives you massive staying power.

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

You certainly can, however, that would seem to be overkill.

Troll Unguent generally provides a better balance against your durability from both kinds of damage and gives you massive staying power.

Troll unguent is great for direct damage especially when you are roaming solo but Healing spring is fantastic for fighting condi classes and small group fighting where a party can blast back up to full health and cleanse conditions.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Add to that a brown bear which can shout to clear 2 condis off of you every 25 seconds as well. It’s why most Rangers run bear as their secondary pet to their DPS/CC pet, as it’s very helpful in clearing conditions. That’s essentially nonstop condi clear.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

in WvW

EremiteAngel.9765

so i take it since necros got only one easily dodgeable gap closer, they are naturally disadvantaged against a LB ranger in open field?

in WvW

EremiteAngel.9765

not to mention all the condi removals that rangers have

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

so i take it since necros got only one easily dodgeable gap closer, they are naturally disadvantaged against a LB ranger in open field?

Yes. If a LB Ranger catches a Necro in open field, either the Ranger has to be a total idiot or the Necro has to be very good for the Ranger to lose. The Necro won’t have enough ways to mitigate damage (especially if they don’t have a full bar of Life Force) and they won’t even get close to the Ranger until they’re half dead. Necro’s have only a few options if they’re caught in the open with no where to hide; use Spectral Walk and run directly away from the Ranger before activating Spectral Return so they’re right infront of/behind the Ranger, using Dark Path after the Ranger has used up their dodges, assuming they even need to use their dodges and going in to Plague form tanking all the damage until they can get close enough to leave Plague and deal damage.

You have to remember that Necro’s have no; vigor, immunity/invulnerability, reflects, few ways to access stability, no blocks, leaps, stealth, teleports, one gap closer and slow projectiles on staff and Death Shroud. LB Ranger, especially with Eagle Eye trait, is a very difficult fight for a Necro in open field.

in WvW

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

You aren’t thinking of this from our perspective.

If a necro so much lands a cripple on us, the fight turns in their favor.

Condi necros can absolutely destroy a ranger if they land their skills. Our mass condi clear will kill the pet and we’ll be without condi clear for the next 60 seconds.

And we can’t stand that long against 4k autoattacks on a power necro either. Combine this with Chill of Death and Close to Death, on a zerker necro, 1 critical hit with ds autoattack while we are below half health will pretty much 1 shot us.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

You aren’t thinking of this from our perspective.

If a necro so much lands a cripple on us, the fight turns in their favor.

Condi necros can absolutely destroy a ranger if they land their skills. Our mass condi clear will kill the pet and we’ll be without condi clear for the next 60 seconds.

And we can’t stand that long against 4k autoattacks on a power necro either. Combine this with Chill of Death and Close to Death, on a zerker necro, 1 critical hit with ds autoattack while we are below half health will pretty much 1 shot us.

Yes that’s very true. But getting even one hit on the Ranger is pretty kitten hard versus a Ranger that knows how to keep you away from them. If the Necro gets close enough, the Ranger will melt like butter. Getting close enough to do that is easier said than done though. Try it yourself if you haven’t already. Roam on a Necro for a bit and see how hard it is to get close to a LB Ranger (excluding the ones that stand perfectly still). You’re very right that it turns in the Necro’s favor as soon as they can land a few hits but doing so is a feat in and of itself.

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

A necro screwing around alone out in the openfield is going to get whooped by any number of professions and builds.

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Survival of the Fittest + empathic bond + signet of renewal. must have for condi ranger, but the end-result is a near immunity to conditions topped with a condi spam only a condi necro can match. so….

Bleedstack SB sotf+eb vs condi necro, condi necro looses. Troll Unguent and passive removal + active removal will in most cases just out-cleanse the necros conditions faster then it can reapply it. terrormancer can be a pain if you burn all your stunbreakers, but even then, you got heavy CC (immob + KD + fear) and the ability to maintain poison, bleed and possibly burning permanently and much easier then necromancers

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

Killing most rangers in wvw is really easy as most don’t know how to kite properly and use their skills well. If they know how to use their weapon skills, their utility skills when it’s time to pop it and their pet knockbacks & immobs, the power ranger should win the majority of his duels versus any good necros.

I faced many great necros in pvp and I never had a problem with any of them, because the build counters necro if you play it at a high level enough. You just have to accept the fact that you will get beat by power rangers just like engies have to accept they will lose every fights versus necros. Power rangers themselves have a hard counter which are DPS Guardians.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

in WvW

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Assuming hes using rampage as one. Focus four-DS 3-2-5. Staff 3-4 proceed to kill and laugh at his misery.

With Staff D/D- D-5 DS soak rapid fire and use DS 2 WHILE hes channeling (most rangers wont cancel the channel for a dodge they need the deeps) DS 5 dodge Point blank shot Dagger 3-4 Staff 3-4-2 DS-2 DS-1 until dead. <— thisl work on 80% of longbow rangers.

I play both a longbow ranger and a Power based necro and ive been on both the receiving and giving end of this. Use your utilities as necessary to interupt either the ranger or the pet.

Dont forget you can bounce dagger four off his pet for almost guaranteed condi cleanses. Hel dodge thinking its going after him and itl hit his pet and THEN him. very useful for dealing with the root elite. Almost guaranteed to force him to swap pets early…pretty much a death sentence in high end play.

Rangers are INCREDIBLY condi sensitive…relying heavily on there heal or passive procs to deal with them. Chill, Weakness, and Immobilize cut down power ranger damage MASSIVELY and necros have plenty of ways to apply it.

Ghost Yak

in WvW

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I used to main a power necro and ranger was one of the easiest targets. Fight aggressively and you will win. I actually main ranger now and a good necro can be the harder fights even knowing what to do.

Necro is uniquely built to destroy a regen ranger by corrupting and removing his buffs so I dont see the issue there either. Rangers can have really good condi removal but still cant keep up with what a necro can dish out.

Dodge is always a great defense against rapid fire.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Thustlewhumber.7416

Thustlewhumber.7416

It’s the overly arrogant attitude of rangers in general that warrants the massive disrespect of the entire wvw community. They are my absolute favorite class to kill… gives the same the satisfaction as killing a pesky knat, except their tears are sweeter.

In answer to the OP’s question: double dodge towards, spectral grasp, dagger 3, well dump, DS4 and DS5 to finish them as they try to get away. Make sure to throw the /laugh emote in at the end.

WvW Necro

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

I used to main a power necro and ranger was one of the easiest targets. Fight aggressively and you will win. I actually main ranger now and a good necro can be the harder fights even knowing what to do.

Necro is uniquely built to destroy a regen ranger by corrupting and removing his buffs so I dont see the issue there either. Rangers can have really good condi removal but still cant keep up with what a necro can dish out.

Umm if a ranger is using signet of the wild, natural healing, or troll unguent for his regen it can’t be stripped. The only time it could be is if the ranger is running shouts but in that situation the cooldown is 12 to 15 seconds. Pretty easy to reapply it.

LGN

in WvW

Shadelang.3012

Umm if a ranger is using signet of the wild, natural healing, or troll unguent for his regen it can’t be stripped. The only time it could be is if the ranger is running shouts but in that situation the cooldown is 12 to 15 seconds. Pretty easy to reapply it.

First : If hes using troll unguent then there is absolutely no excuse to failing to kill him. Necros have some of the best access to debilitating conditions in the game. The one we have hte biggest access to is poison. Making staff 3 a death sentence for most longbow rangers if they arent using spring. Wait till they pop the heal then nail em with it. This also means they wont have any access to ANY reliable condi cleanse unless there taking SOTF which makes the rest of what you said absolutely pointless.

Second : Natural healing is a grandmaster beast mastery trait. Meaning a longbow ranger probably WONT have it. Even if they do. Its a pathetic 133 hps not counting poison.
Longbow rangers require 6 points in marksmanship to be even slightly dangerous.

In order to pull off the burst that everyone always points at they also need 6 points in nature magic for SotF. Meaning they CANT have natural healing OR natures voice. Meaning that the standard longbow build CANNOT do the regen your claiming they do. If they are not running that build they cant do the ONLY set of burst damage that makes them even remotely dangerous to a slightly decent necro in a 1v1.

Seeing as this post is in relation to Necro VS LB Ranger on a 1v1 level. Your post proves that you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. Its like you cobbled together a set of things you thought would refute what others have said without even taking a second to think about it.

The ONLY build even remotely capable of taking all 4 of those would be a xxx66 build….This build will do almost NO damage. Meaning they have no burst. Meaning its an attrition fight. Meaning necro wins hands down without even losing half there health if there even slightly competent.

Edit: Even then they wont have SotF Meaning they have no condi removal besides evasive purity. Which wont do kitten against the necros liberal access to poison and weakness. (poison stops the healing. Weakness stops the dodges so he cant stop the poison)

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

First : If hes using troll unguent then there is absolutely no excuse to failing to kill him. Necros have some of the best access to debilitating conditions in the game. The one we have hte biggest access to is poison. Making staff 3 a death sentence for most longbow rangers if they arent using spring. Wait till they pop the heal then nail em with it. This also means they wont have any access to ANY reliable condi cleanse unless there taking SOTF which makes the rest of what you said absolutely pointless.

Second : Natural healing is a grandmaster beast mastery trait. Meaning a longbow ranger probably WONT have it. Even if they do. Its a pathetic 133 hps not counting poison.
Longbow rangers require 6 points in marksmanship to be even slightly dangerous.

In order to pull off the burst that everyone always points at they also need 6 points in nature magic for SotF. Meaning they CANT have natural healing OR natures voice. Meaning that the standard longbow build CANNOT do the regen your claiming they do. If they are not running that build they cant do the ONLY set of burst damage that makes them even remotely dangerous to a slightly decent necro in a 1v1.

Seeing as this post is in relation to Necro VS LB Ranger on a 1v1 level. Your post proves that you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. Its like you cobbled together a set of things you thought would refute what others have said without even taking a second to think about it.

The ONLY build even remotely capable of taking all 4 of those would be a xxx66 build….This build will do almost NO damage. Meaning they have no burst. Meaning its an attrition fight. Meaning necro wins hands down without even losing half there health if there even slightly competent.

Edit: Even then they wont have SotF Meaning they have no condi removal besides evasive purity. Which wont do kitten against the necros liberal access to poison and weakness. (poison stops the healing. Weakness stops the dodges so he cant stop the poison)

Guess what, conversations evolve. I was referring to (and I believe Kilger was referring to) the regen condi build that has been discussed multiple times in this thread.

I wasn’t saying a build should run all of those traits at once, I was pointing out there are several ways of building for regen, most of which can not be stripped.

I would like to point out a few things though.

Natural healing ticks for 177 when paired with compassion training. Add signet of the wild to that and you have a solid regen.

Going 6 points in beastmastery does not leave you without burst. A birds F2 alone will deliver a mean burst when traited fully into beastmastery and depending on the gear and runes you run you could lay out a ton of condi damage at the same time.

LGN

in WvW

Shadelang.3012

First In response to it being focused specifically on the condi regen build. On that I apologize I misread the post in reference to a previous post I was considering. That is my fault.

On natural healing. I have never seen a single ranger use compassion training in a build outside of a very specific build.

It is true that rangers have many ways to regen. but its also true that necros are the best in the game at nuking healing.

Its true that bird f2 burst is quite nice. But its also true that you can two shot that bird in most power builds. Put both there birds on cooldown and your fairly set.

As far as the condi build itself goes. Ill be the first to say thats one of the cheesiest builds in the game as far as WvW roaming is concerned. Ill be the first to admit Ive died to that. Mostly because that build has literraly EVERYTHING. Honestly thats the ONE build a ranger has that I wouldnt be upset seeing a nerf directed at. And I play my ranger just as much as I do my necro.

Again I apologize for misunderstanding your previous post. What I said what largely in the context of fighting a power based ranger build. However like I said above that condi build is a whole nother level of easy mode gamestyle I never want anything to do with. The one week I played it I couldn’t stop feeling disgusted at myself.

Ghost Yak

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

That’s the curse of playing a ranger. If you go condi you are cheesy, if you go power you are cheesy

LGN

in WvW

Shadelang.3012

Haha Normally I only use that word to describe builds that take from every pot and do it disproportionately well. I dont see power as cheesy mostly because it has several glaring weaknesses that are very obvious and very well known and can be taken advantage of by any class. I only refer to the condi build as cheesy largely because its weaknesses simply aren’t well developed or applicable by most builds and classes.

You HAVE to massively outplay the player to win unless your running a build that happens to hard counter it.

And even if you outskill your opponent if your on the wrong build its simply death. I mostly dislike it because it reminds of what people used to call (build wars) back when I was in gw1. Builds that were basically so far outperforming of anything else that unless you were a specific X build you might as well not engage it.

EDIT : On further considering it the crucial weakness of the condi ranger regen build is that its almost completely reliant on the pet for not only its physical damage but a large amount of its condi clear as well… For a necro atleast if you know your fighting one take a staff and a pair of daggers. let the ranger condi load you as much as he wants and transfer them to his pet. That pet will die very quickly and it cant evade spam away from condi transfers like his master can. Once the pets down you SHOULD be able to chill/immob/weakness chain the ranger like you would a power ranger. Then you can start hitting HIM with condi transfers instead. Just an idea

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

What’s really funny is using epidemic on the pet right after a ranger clears conditions with signet of renewal.
Well… funny if you are the necro. Very annoying if you are the ranger.

LGN

in WvW

Shadelang.3012

What’s really funny is using epidemic on the pet right after a ranger clears conditions with signet of renewal.
Well… funny if you are the necro. Very annoying if you are the ranger.

^ I feel alot of people would find hte condi regen rangers alot less trouble if they remembered that the pet is a free condi bounce. It spends so much time acting as a condi soak for the ranger in that build. And most condi rangers dont pay attention to it at all excpet to activate f2s unlike the Power and Cleric BM builds.

Ghost Yak