New WvW blog post June 1 2017

in WvW

Posted by: Adzekul.3104

Adzekul.3104

Admin edit: Adding link to today’s full blog post. (Thank you Adzekul.)

“If you’ve been playing on the same world for at least three weeks”

Respect

Hope this has a positive impact on the game mode. My feelings on the other 4 points are mixed, but the weekly reset idea might simply overrule those concerns. Let’s see how it works.

Legendary back item from WvW. Looks good in principle, but will wait until full details of all tiers are posted. Some bright spark in team chat said you had to be in Tier 1 to get it, but I see no evidence for this.

The pressure to win skirmishes might be a problem, though. Will wait for more details before I decide if I like or dislike this aspect.

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

I like where this is going. Kudos to WvW team!

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

Maybe they should extend that 3 weeks to match the duration of pairings.
(has that changed? I was under the impression it was still 2 months).

in WvW

Posted by: ThunderPanda.1872

ThunderPanda.1872

Maybe they should extend that 3 weeks to match the duration of pairings.
(has that changed? I was under the impression it was still 2 months).

+1. Please give them penalty to whoever changed server during current pairing

Send me 1000g and I will stop trolling WvW forum.
I have a dream – Our Anet Senpai will make WvW Great Again!
WvW Forum is more competitive than WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its sounds good over all. I hope this rewards work out well i can see the maps becoming a bit tag happy with getting added rewards for being a commander with at least 5 ppl. Every one going to be a commander lol.

I still like to see some more skill split from wvw vs pve (raids balancing dose not apply well in wvw).
That can happen some other time and as things progress (so it dose not need to happen all at once just skill by skill that end up being “problems” in wvw but are ok in pve raids).

Now only if we could get a dev to post the blog post in the wvw forms its weird that they have not.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

ThunderPanda.1872

Now only if we could get a dev to post the blog post in the wvw forms its weird that they have not.

Never knew people browse archive

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

“If you’ve been playing on the same world for at least three weeks.” Maybe give reward if you have played on the same world for at least three years? 3 weeks really? What kind of bandwagoner haven’t played in same server at least 6 months?

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

in WvW

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

All I have to say can be described with an action: Clap… clap… clap…

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Nice ;-)

All the loot belong to me!

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Never knew people browse archive

I did not i am just talking about devs seems scared of these forms i know we do bit so that could be it. Maybe after the update they will post here. I hope ppl here do not go after the devs too hard.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

DemonSeed.3528

Its sounds good over all. I hope this rewards work out well i can see the maps becoming a bit tag happy with getting added rewards for being a commander with at least 5 ppl. Every one going to be a commander lol.

I guess now nobody can complain of there being no tags around XD

in WvW

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Looks pretty sweet. It certainly has me interested in giving WvW another go and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

in WvW

DemonSeed.3528

Aha! Looks like I was right about skirmish being like a reward track.

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

What’s the difference between tiers of armor?

in WvW

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

I still like to see some more skill split from wvw vs pve (raids balancing dose not apply well in wvw).
That can happen some other time and as things progress (so it dose not need to happen all at once just skill by skill that end up being “problems” in wvw but are ok in pve raids).

Gaile had your back, but it’s gone now lol

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in WvW

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Gaile had your back, but it’s gone now lol

I did, but I removed my post to focus on the one that grumble beat me to the punch.

Glad that everyone is enjoying the update, and I just added the link to my post above so that everyone would be able to read the full blog with ease.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

in WvW

Posted by: Limodriver.4106

Limodriver.4106

whats the rank required for each armor tier? and Legendary back?

in WvW

Jhoul.6923

Ohhh Gaile, I have expressed how much I love (and respect) you in the past but right now I just want to take a plane to ANET’s office and hug every single WvW employee!

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Thanks for putting some long needed energy into WvW.

This post is lacking some details, so I’m making some assumptions.

It’s great to hear that there is going to be some more WvW specific armor. I read a lot about that with the word “misforged” thrown about. Hopefully, this means we’ll be able to upgrade our weapons as well that we’ve been accumulating over the years from tournaments or the reward tracks.

“However, unlike Tier 2, this ascended armor will not require any crafting to earn.” This is great to hear, but a bit vauge. Anything that doesn’t require crafting, like the really dumb ascended system in PvP and fractals is only a good thing.

The backpack looks amazing! Loooooong overdue, but it’s finally here and looks great.

Skirmish rewards looks solid. I think it’s great that you added the 3 week server loyalty clause. Really good.

But this is bad and has to go: “Whether you’re commanding a squad with at least five people in it.” First off, why is there something special attached to commanding for rewards. Those who command typically get more participation than those who don’t.
But moreover, this will lead to nothing but abuse and massive confusion with lots of people tagging up and spamming lfm in chat. That’s really horrible to imagine. Whether people have 5 people in a group or not, it won’t prevent people from tagging up, causing massive confusion for new players, pugs, and massive headaches for organized groups or groups trying to organize. I can only imagine a blob of 5 tags or more moving around, but only one of them is actually in a VoiP trying to do things and the other tags are screwing everything up. This will turn off the serious players that are the heart of WvW.

We don’t need an incentive for folks to tag up. Commanding is hard, stressful, and is best when done with the support of a guild. Success in WvW mostly comes from organization through guilds, voip, having proper builds and group comp, and communication with others across maps. If you incentivise folks to tag up, this is going to cause massive chaos that is antithetical. The reward for tagging up is having folks who enjoy tagging up, seeing your group dominate the score and kill enemies. Let’s not forget those who like to run TAGLESS.

WvW is also a very small community. Tagging up is putting a certain amount of responsibility on ones shoulders and people are going to be looking to you to lead and not screw up. If one is not prepared to handle this, then it is opening ones self up to flaming and a negative WvW experience. The same is true for new players trying to find some…. I could go on and on about how bad, just abysmal of an idea this is. We already have rewards for playing, don’t screw this up.

Match history: good stuff

Improved LFG: Uh, what? Who the hell is leading this? Yet another example of the devs putting in energy into things that NO ONE asked for. But I see where you guys are going with this, it’s tied to the skirmish rewards. But this is, again, not needed. Why show 3 party/squad joins? This sounds like screen clutter we dont’ need. All we have to do is right click on a tag in the map or a squad member, or /squadjoin name and we’re in the squad, unless it’s limited.

Now, if this improves the current squad ui in some way, great, but from what’s been described, this is unnecessary and uncalled for. Again, I refer you to my long diatribe about how disastrous incentivising tagging up will be.

Keep the good stuff, thow out the bad that no one asked for and will obviously, obviously hurt WvW.

Thanks.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

(edited by Spurnshadow.3678)

in WvW

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Ohhh Gaile, I have expressed how much I love (and respect) you in the past but right now I just want to take a plane to ANET’s office and hug every single WvW employee!

That is marvelous, Jhoul. I was so excited to know the team was working on this, and I had to bite my fingers nearly every day to keep myself from commenting about this. It’s definitely a cool update, and I’m happy the WvW community is liking it.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

whats the rank required for each armor tier? and Legendary back?

Over 9000,
Haha I tell bad jokes ;-)

I’ve been playing wvw forever as a moderate and I’m rank 2600ish. My highest guildy is like 4-5kish.

The armor probably won’t be over 1-2k because max used points are only 1k. The legendary backpack maybe 5-10k if they truely want it to mean legendary.

But they probably won’t go that crazy as they don’t want to box people out of rewards by a huge time sink. This should also be a promotion to bring in new people. Look to the Achievements Point rewards for an idea, it was set too low on the low end (nobody uses zenith skins) and way too high on the high end(have never seen the backpack) but ultimately gives newer players a chance at something and veterans a long term goal.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

Sounds promising.

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Color me impressed!

More rewards for more participation for the week. Kinda like what another game Paragon just did by earning stars for the week to earn better rewards.

Pips earned based on a number of different aspects is good. One of which will promote grouping and more commanders, the map might turn into spaghetti with all the tags around (yes I know you can turn off other tags). At least it should be a little friendlier to casuals or new players, as it’s difficult to get into wvw, much easier when you can do so with others at least. Glad they gave some thought to the outnumbered players as well.

Not sure if 3 weeks is long enough. Moving it to 2 months with the relinks could work, I could see only the merc guilds moving and not caring about the rewards as much, so this could offer long term loyalty to servers with the general population. But there was also talk about potentially moving the relinks to a monthly rotation, so maybe that’s why 3 weeks was chosen.

I’m glad they managed to work back all at once the triumphant hero and (mistforged hero weapons I assume) as ascended, and the legendary back piece, although I think the tombstone one would have been funny, but the big flaming war banner which also is a glider is looking nice!

Anet please don’t forget to run a promotion over this to pve land, much as you did when the spvp tournaments were ongoing, give a wxp bonus buff if anything for a week to get players to try wvw out.

Anyways mucho kudos to McKenna and team for getting the rewards done, while trying to make wvw more friendly to enter and play!

P.S I’m confused about the tiers on the armor…
Tier 1 Triumphant from reward track?
Tier 2 Triumphant Hero by crafting?
Tier 3 Mistforged Triumphant Hero by combining?

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

(edited by XenesisII.1540)

in WvW

Posted by: michelada.2947

michelada.2947

RLLY?? , the big update for wvw are just a bunch of rewards, no fix to the core problem, no new system to balance the servers, is anet rlly afraid to lose the money from the server transfers?, really dissapointed

in WvW

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

So the new Tier 3 ascended armour won’t require crafting. Does the Tier 2 armour use the same crafting system as the Fractal and sPvP ascended equipment? As in will we be making Grandmaster’s Marks for them?

in WvW

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

WvW LFG just the thing we really need. Woohoo… #sarcasm off

Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

WvW LFG just the thing we really need. Woohoo… #sarcasm off

A lot of people do, especially those new to the game mode. You’d be surprised at how many people are shy about talking in map chat when they are new. I’m one of them and seeing people advertising “Newbies welcome” groups in WvW would be a godsend.

in WvW

Sly.9518

So the new Tier 3 ascended armour won’t require crafting. Does the Tier 2 armour use the same crafting system as the Fractal and sPvP ascended equipment? As in will we be making Grandmaster’s Marks for them?

Why PvE and Pvp had a few months of getting them without the requirement so WvW should get a few months without it if it ever gets out in. Funny thing in most cases the vendors cost the same if not more for armor…… yet the were made with not needing to require crafting.

in WvW

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Seem like good changes all around.

Particularly like the idea of pairing better rewards for your servers position in the skirmish with better rewards for fighting while outnumbered. Should provide a nice balance while still rewarding teamwork.

As with all things WvW, however, we wont know until the changes are released into the wild. WvW seems like the hardest part of the game to balance and develop (for obvious reasons). Be interesting to see how it plays out.

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

So, lot’s of criticism there. I’m sure this will bring some new players and back some old players, like myself, back, at least for a little while. That’s only a good thing.

Just take away that we need, need more updates like this. We need the attention. And thanks for this. Just please keep in mind that WvW has been neglected for so long that this will be a balm on a large burn. We have long memories, and know that while I, and I’m sure many others appreciates this work, you NEED to keep it up, otherwise, we will just turn back into our cynical selves, flame you in the forums, or just straight up quit.

Thanks again.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Posted by: Darigen.2309

Darigen.2309

I like the fact, that we now get our own legendary backpack and new rewards. The update seems good so far.

The only problematic idea is this point:
“Whether you’re commanding a squad with at least five people in it.”

Anet, you know how people behave: Hey there is something to abuse! Let’s do that even if it annoys the others!

There is no need for tons of commandertags as it is not hard to find 5 people… That’ll be annoying as f*** for the actual commanders…

in WvW

Posted by: Kir Sakar.3647

Kir Sakar.3647

Great news! I am especially happy about the updated match-up interface. As a relatively new player, I had trouble following how points and squirmish results influence the current match-up.

I also like that server-hopping is a little more discouraged now, even though I agree that the penalty should be higher than only 3 weeks.

Charr Chronomancer | Asura Tempest | Charr Druid | Charr Guardian
(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

I like the fact, that we now get our own legendary backpack and new rewards. The update seems good so far.

The only problematic idea is this point:
“Whether you’re commanding a squad with at least five people in it.”

Anet, you know how people behave: Hey there is something to abuse! Let’s do that even if it annoys the others!

There is no need for tons of commandertags as it is not hard to find 5 people… That’ll be annoying as f*** for the actual commanders…

You can turn off seeing other commander tags if you’re in your own squad.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: neven.3785

neven.3785

I disagree with your suggestion about removing the items you personally don’t like.

I think that tying in more rewards for commanders and promoting smaller groups is essential to the health of wvw. If you don’t like seeing tag clutter use the UI option to hide other tags. If you don’t like losing a half dozen die on Inc fodder players to the random tags then get better at positioning your group.

The lfg being stream lined Into the squad UI area won’t clutter your screen so stop being so dramatic over it. There are still quite a few people new to the game mode who have no one to play with and map team chat don’t foster a welcoming environment. The old lfg too was horrible for wvw, maybe it will be useful now. Coming from an active guild it’s pretty easy to turn your nose at features put in place that won’t personally help you but other areas of the game use lfg extensively and wvw does need some love for new players (and pvx players too)

in WvW

Posted by: Manimarco Devil.1790

Manimarco Devil.1790

I dont see the issue, serious players will gravitate toward the “best” commander and you can turn off other pins in the map. General pugs will also learn who the good commanders are as they will give them the most pips.

Battlelord Taeres

in WvW

Posted by: Andromeda.8293

Andromeda.8293

I can’t imagine it being over 2k, both the pve and pvp backpieces just required a little time and are literally achievable by anyone who wants them. For a lot of players I can see them struggling to get to 2k, I see a lot of players under this – it takes a considerable amount of time to grind ranks, not everyone is playing 8hrs/day in a constantly active wvw. There’s so much down time lately because of the population and coverage gaps, so getting levels in off time will be harsh.

I’m excited for wvw stuff!!!

I am a little concerned about this though:

“Pips are earned every tick and are awarded based on the following criteria:
[…]
Your WvW rank.
Whether you’re commanding a squad with at least five people in it.”

So there are benefits to commanding a squad with at least 5 ppl in it, sounds like a way to get maps flooded with tags of mini squads to give “tags” extra pip benefits.

Also for the pve and pvp legendary backpieces mastery points/pvp rank did not give an advantage; I don’t see why wvw rank should give people an advantage here. I can’t see why higher wvw rank should give the 4k person more pips than say the level 200 person if they’re both putting forth the same effort and performing equally.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

so basicly a ktrain reward system.. to make every one happy…?

So the faster ur blob caps, the faster players fill the pips?

i actully dont get this only makes players stack even more and try to ktrain or ignore defence/offese and will make smaller servers bail out and avoid to defense their stuff so they can ktrain other empty map???

Dev’s about the barbequeue backpack, those flames are to much… imo, more visual clutter cause u guys cant do anythign else. -_-#

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Andromeda.8293

Andromeda.8293

I took a break from wvw and have been getting back into it lately, yes I agree that incentive based on tagging up can and will create a problem, even more off a problem if it significantly increases your pip gain. I can see this being abused large scale. Everyone wants rewards, and they want them now.

Is there going to be a weekly cap on pips like there are on magnetite shards? If there’s a weekly cap and it’s obtainable in a reasonable amount of time spent in wvw, that would help alleviate the issue. Otherwise people will just grind wvw incessantly and many will take every step to forward themselves through tag abuse.

in WvW

Posted by: Manimarco Devil.1790

Manimarco Devil.1790

Ktraining at its core is a human nature problem not a game problem. People just want rewards not to enjoy an experience. Not sure how ANET is supposed to fix that mentality. With new rewards outnumbered sides still get pips and there should be less outnumbered people with release of rewards. So with even numbers its up to the players to actually want to fight vs ktrain.

Battlelord Taeres

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Can’t wait to see the overstacked servers do a 5 player commander swap squad for better rewards for everyone in the squad.

I can see how this might reduce the chance of a single map blob but can anyone answer how this is going to promote destacking?

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

Quote from mmorp enterview….
“MB: (snip…)
However, it’s also important to keep in mind that you get the pips every tick and the winning pips are awarded based on War Score and not Skirmish Points. Every two hours, everyone’s War Score is set back to zero, and who is winning could change every tick, making a stacked world less likely to constantly win. "

“making a stacked world less likely to constantly win”, they say….

i dont even………………….

in WvW

Posted by: SgtOVERKILL.4701

SgtOVERKILL.4701

I took a break from wvw and have been getting back into it lately, yes I agree that incentive based on tagging up can and will create a problem, even more off a problem if it significantly increases your pip gain. I can see this being abused large scale. Everyone wants rewards, and they want them now.

Is there going to be a weekly cap on pips like there are on magnetite shards? If there’s a weekly cap and it’s obtainable in a reasonable amount of time spent in wvw, that would help alleviate the issue. Otherwise people will just grind wvw incessantly and many will take every step to forward themselves through tag abuse.

I sure hope there is not a cap, I play gw2 pretty much just for WvW anymore. If I cap at 100 a week with my guild in two raid nights why would I want to play the other 5 days of the week. Seems like it would kill the population more this way.

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

It didn’t sound too bad, until they added in:

However, this track will reset weekly.

I mean, wtf? So if I am one pip short of a full track during the week, I lose all progression and have to start over? Who thinks that is a good idea?

People who don’t play wvw all that often could log in Tuesday, look at progression, work out they aren’t going to finish the track before reset and just not bother logging in.

As for more rewards for higher ranks, way to feed all those that EOTM’d to gain rank or those on the busiest servers….

I can see dozens of tags on each map as you get more for being a comm- and fights over who is supposed to tag up. I’m guessing they consulted one of their pet commanders before bringing in a bonus for a comm tag…

Why don’t they at least ask some wvw players about these changes before they fester them on us?

It’s now official: k- train ftw. I can see loads of pve’rs running around tagged up and completely clueless…until they realise how hard it is to actually get anything in wvw and off they will go again.

I’m guessing that the actual targets for getting the armor and backpack will be so off target (like wvw achievements were for years) that the vast majority will have to play for the rest of their lives to get one piece of ascended.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I disagree with your suggestion about removing the items you personally don’t like.

I think that tying in more rewards for commanders and promoting smaller groups is essential to the health of wvw. If you don’t like seeing tag clutter use the UI option to hide other tags. If you don’t like losing a half dozen die on Inc fodder players to the random tags then get better at positioning your group.

The lfg being stream lined Into the squad UI area won’t clutter your screen so stop being so dramatic over it. There are still quite a few people new to the game mode who have no one to play with and map team chat don’t foster a welcoming environment. The old lfg too was horrible for wvw, maybe it will be useful now. Coming from an active guild it’s pretty easy to turn your nose at features put in place that won’t personally help you but other areas of the game use lfg extensively and wvw does need some love for new players (and pvx players too)

Agree with this user 100%.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in WvW

Sly.9518

I can’t imagine it being over 2k, both the pve and pvp backpieces just required a little time and are literally achievable by anyone who wants them. For a lot of players I can see them struggling to get to 2k, I see a lot of players under this – it takes a considerable amount of time to grind ranks, not everyone is playing 8hrs/day in a constantly active wvw. There’s so much down time lately because of the population and coverage gaps, so getting levels in off time will be harsh.

I’m excited for wvw stuff!!!

I am a little concerned about this though:

“Pips are earned every tick and are awarded based on the following criteria:
[…]
Your WvW rank.
Whether you’re commanding a squad with at least five people in it.”

So there are benefits to commanding a squad with at least 5 ppl in it, sounds like a way to get maps flooded with tags of mini squads to give “tags” extra pip benefits.

Also for the pve and pvp legendary backpieces mastery points/pvp rank did not give an advantage; I don’t see why wvw rank should give people an advantage here. I can’t see why higher wvw rank should give the 4k person more pips than say the level 200 person if they’re both putting forth the same effort and performing equally.

In Pvp nothing mattered besides winning or losing to get more pips getting top stats gave more pips, pvp could be acquired only during season, pvp didn’t need the gift of fortune but the PvE one did, Fractal back could be acquired whenever, Fractals required Mastery to unlock Vendor so Mastery did matter to even get it, and each reward system per those were specific to the game mode so yeah…….. why shouldn’t WvW have it’s own stipulations??

in WvW

Posted by: Adzekul.3104

Adzekul.3104

A thought occurred to me … since I play both Edge of the Mists and The Mist War … does all of this only apply to The Mist War, or does it apply to Edge of the Mists also?

in WvW

ThunderPanda.1872

Quote from mmorp enterview….
“MB: (snip…)
However, it’s also important to keep in mind that you get the pips every tick and the winning pips are awarded based on War Score and not Skirmish Points. Every two hours, everyone’s War Score is set back to zero, and who is winning could change every tick, making a stacked world less likely to constantly win. "

“making a stacked world less likely to constantly win”, they say….

i dont even………………….

I can’t find the correlation, please enlighten

in WvW

Jhoul.6923

Btw, ANET, the probability of the WvW servers crashing for the amount of ppl that will join are at a 99.999999%. Soooooo, remove the dust and prepare your servers for a smooth transition

GL!

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

ThunderPanda.1872, was quoting that for Swamurabi.7890, since he was saying that this would promote stacked servers to spead acrross all mas for better skirmish rewards.

wich is no sense cause a full stacked server, will no matter win, sicne they are paired much more emptier servers, if the stacked servers spread alot of players theycan cap alot of stuff, if they stack in one mega blob as usual they can still cap everything easilly.