Night Capping and YOU

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Hix.8925

Hix.8925

Big NA presence on Euro bracket would be working as intended. The entire WvW setup is designed to inevitably concentrate all WvW population on 3 servers per bracket.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Mooncow.6847

Mooncow.6847

I still like my ‘sister-server’ idea… or a variation of it. The top NA servers sister server would be the bottom EU server. The top EU sisters server would be bottom NA server. And the second place would sister with the second to last etc. etc. You can travel freely to your sister server during that week. The idea would be to not only get YOUR server to the top, but your sister server as well. It might give incentive to go help the underpopulated servers.

This is a great idea and would be great for my Kaineng

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Feranor.2053

Feranor.2053

Yet another game where the winner is decided by who’s willing to play cheesier.

Wie willst du aufrecht leben, wenn du weißt, dass es nicht lohnt?
— ASP, “Tiefenrausch”

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Velius.3791

Velius.3791

I just wanted to chime in on the red phrase of “They too are paying customers.”

This is faulty logic. I don’t want to spend as much time farming/playing, but I want to experience having a legendary, cater to me because I too am a paying customer, etc.

In all seriousness, your servers are classified as north american or european. This is somewhat awkward for aussie players, but beyond that, I believe a “reduced point period” is worth considering. Telling me that the reason for no changes is some incredibly small fraction of your playerbase wants to play outside their region or are extreme nightowls playing wvw at 4am is, to be blunt, laughable.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Kosta Pereira.5403

Kosta Pereira.5403

Wonka.3487
“I would not care for night capping if it where ppl from the same timezone, it’s EU players on NA severs and vice versa that bugs me.”

This. I’m from Farshiverpeaks also, i dont care if we loose to VSquare if they are just using European players. But just block the Non Europeans.

(edited by Kosta Pereira.5403)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Kazim.2043

Kazim.2043

Big NA presence on Euro bracket would be working as intended. The entire WvW setup is designed to inevitably concentrate all WvW population on 3 servers per bracket.

If that’s the case why Euro servers can’t match up with NA servers?

Izuvac.5713 “…like imagine 2 taliban server against 1 american…”

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Hix.8925

Hix.8925

Ask Anet, it’s their policy not mine

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Iollie you’d have a point if they didn’t release queue stats showing that Oceanic heavy servers have 24 hour queues and other servers don’t, but all NA servers have queues during NA peaktime.

Yes and this means that NA vs an Oceanic server is going to destroy them. Notice that servers like SoS (mainly Oceanic, lack NA members) and to a lesser extent IoJ (who have some NA members) don’t complain about the NA efforts during their night times. They just man up and deal with it.

The solution is to get a 24/7 selection of players, if you want your server to compete with the top servers who already try this.

First part is untrue, even in peak time we have a lot of NA vs Oceanic battles, in most cases SoS actually loses. We had a strong presence till the NA players started to leave though.

We man up and deal with it because it’s the oceanic way, almost every MMO we’ve been treated like second class citizens and NA players are put on pedestals and what makes it even more disgraceful now you want to change what the game was designed around, 24/7 PvP. Free transfer to SoS for the day, prepare to get rolled at prime time then get barrel rolled while you sleep <3

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: lady lisz.7849

lady lisz.7849

Honestly, i didn’t get the part of EU and NA servers being separated when the game is nonstop and requires 24/7 player coverage. I mean seriously, how do you try to win against a server with 24/7 coverage + superior orb bonus + 500 full player capacity on each borderland on a 7-day Match Up? When your server has less than 100 per borderland or just a total of 100 players across all WvW maps with an 8+ hour deficit everyday? Obviously, you dont so why even bother. Might as well go play PvE or buy another game until ANET makes an announcement that says they figured a way to balance WvW game play for everybody. Because in all honesty, all the in-game monetary instruments, time, effort and not to mention the stress that comes with it will surely be a waste… so not worth it.

Truth and Knowledge are two different things
-Scholar Krasso-

(edited by lady lisz.7849)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I still believe this is somehow a topic where the developers still haven’t grasped the total extent of the problem and what implications it has.

I know players like to think developers are always so much wiser, have more insight and generally know better (which is often the case). But ANet really needs to play catch up here or they’ll loose a lot of credibility.

This is not some class imblance that can be sorted out by waiting for the meta game to evolve. This is a geographical issue that is really limiting the enjoyment of WvW.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Epoch.5396

Epoch.5396

Because you have made rankings, you have made the game more sport like and so it needs to be fair to be competetive (compared to WAR or DAOC where the world was even more persistant so night capping wasnt about gaining a score. The unfairness seemed more appropriate and you could just get your stuff back. YOU CANT GET POINTS BACK) this means leaving the system open to point manipulation on this scale will cause players to lose interest, you have essentially made a sport then made it unfair.

This system makes people feel their effort is worthless and this will make WvW become more and more pointless to them. This is important because this IS the end game to many players and by not reacting your giving a clear signal that their efforts are worthless.

What this current system will do is give a top bracket of servers who are willing to do anything to get there. It makes me feel your trying to emulate eve in this aspect but if a corp took over the economy there to a point it was breaking it for everyone i dont doubt ccp would step in. This is essentially what night capping is doing.

Now, I can see the current system working if you let the exploiting and night capping servers all eventually get top rank then lock them in place but you will end up with a competetive game where being top 3 means nothing, because everyone knows how and why they got there. Once it is established that being number 1 just means your willing to bug keep lords etc and that those top servers always lose all peak time vs any server outside the top 3. No-one will want to be number 1. Then you will have to supply new rewards to a part of the population who play the game to be number 1 and you will have to advertise to the rest who have left.

You need to step up and realise you havent created the same open world pvp like DAoC and people are playing this more like an esport, an esport needs to be balanced and fair.
The people your attitude is hurting the most is the organised guilds who play at peak times. Isnt that who WvW is aimed at? Or is it aimed at the small groups who attack empty keeps at night?
Sort it out.

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

I’ll copy and paste here one of my other threads, I don’t wanna to give a solution but just pointing out my thoughts and I think what I’m going to say, could be solve some issues for many servers, it’s not only the nightcapping the problem, cos there are NA servers for exemple that lack NA people and EU servers that lack EU people, the problem is more the imbalance in scores that will be created soon when an overpopulated server meets an underpopulated server and this will lead the underpopulated one to leave at all the battleground very soon.

I want to be clear and concise:

- Points calculation in the game could be better managed: I mean I as a player cannot gain the same point if I conquer a tower for example with other 20 people against a zerg of 100 people or if I conquer the same tower with no defenders at all in the whole map

- The actual point calculation at the moment allows the overpopulated server to gain a too high score over time, discouraging even more the underpopulated servers to join the fight, with loss of fun for all players from all servers.

- My proposal would be:
to make a dynamic points calculation system, so that the outmanned server could take more points from its achievements, while the overpopulated server will gain more fun:
– from one point of view it has of course to work a little harder to gain its victory, on the other hand it will fight against active enemies (not discouraged by the big gap in points) and it won’t only find empty maps around.

Example:
if server A is at 1\10 population for that map, server B is at 3\10 and server C is at 6\10, then:
– server A will gain a bonus for each achievment based on its number of player compared to the numers of other servers at that moment in that map, same goes for the others.
I also believe this could be implemented in the outmanned buff.

Conclusion:
the points calculation has to be wisely designed because the goal is certainly not to make the overpopulated server to lose, but to reduce the difference in score, so that the outmanned servers won’t give up right after the weekend, and the war and the fun can go on during all the week for all the three servers engaged.

just my 2 cents, hf all

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Ignicity.7938

Ignicity.7938

The people your attitude is hurting the most is the organised guilds who play at peak times. Isnt that who WvW is aimed at? Or is it aimed at the small groups who attack empty keeps at night?
Sort it out.

You make it sound like “if you’re not a NA guild playing in American prime time, you’re just part of a disorganised band of misfits that has no right playing WvW”

Got some news for you: there are some well organised international guilds out there that play outside of your precious prime time.

See I can be condescending too.

\ig-nis-i-tee\
Ignicity – 80 Necromancer
Unreal Aussies [uA] – Isle of Janthir

(edited by Ignicity.7938)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Epoch.5396

If you want to easy fix this remove the rankings completely and just use the system as a matchmaker.

If you keep the ranking system then it has to be fair and you need to do something about night capping.

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Epoch.5396

im from wales butt, use your brain. Not used to an oz being so sensitive. whats up with u?
All i spoke about was empty keep scoring.
Do you think that should be worth the same points as fully defended?

Thats the issue. Some of u guys have no care about stuff being fair.
Your getting your shirt off because you think im on your server about to ruin your fun. Where im from the Eu on a server low ranked in a small guild for fun.

I just care about WvW because i dont really do the rest of the game and dont want this to end stupidly.

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

(edited by Epoch.5396)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Ignicity.7938

Ignicity.7938

Put simply, yes.

I think that if an American takes a keep during American prime time, it should be worth the same as if an Australian took the same keep during Australian prime time, or kitten-forbid, the same as if a Welshman took the same keep during Welsh prime time.

And to be honest, I couldn’t give two kittens about what server you play on, it’s what your saying that I disagree with, not where your saying it from.

\ig-nis-i-tee\
Ignicity – 80 Necromancer
Unreal Aussies [uA] – Isle of Janthir

(edited by Ignicity.7938)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

im from wales butt, use your brain. Not used to an oz being so sensitive. whats up with u?
All i spoke about was empty keep scoring.
Do you think that should be worth the same points as fully defended?

This must be your first MMO. Oceanics have always been sensitive about MMO gaming because it’s always tilted fully towards the NA player base, which is fine to an extent. The one time Oceanics have an even playing field(even then we do not), NA players cry, get real. The world doesn’t revolve around NA time schedule and WvWvW wasn’t designed around it either.

Now, as for a change, I’m not saying it’s impossible, but this isn’t sPvP.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Epoch.5396

Im 37 and been playing world pvp since rallos zek
I even mentioned daoc in my post so shh.

I agree with both of you if that keep is defended by other oceanics
See thats where u both mess up. Your basically saying your time is worth the same…and yes it is but your not making the same effort till you fight someone.

A system where your score is set against the population in the zone would work fine. So if your 20 men fighting 20 men you get a full score. If your 50 men fighting 1 guy, the score is reduced.
You could play vs other oceanics/asian/nighters on the same borderlands which u would all move to for the higher scores. Once there is no1 in the zone the score reduces.
Or how about keep guards gettng buffed so taking an empty keep gets harder? More entertaining for the people capping and makes their hard work worth the points.

Its fair. Easy and affects anyone including me when my daughter wakes me up to game at 6 am :P

Put aside your problems with NA for god sake. Nag your goverment and get better broadband and come play EU :P

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

(edited by Epoch.5396)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

Im 37 and been playing world pvp since rallos zek
I even mentioned daoc in my post so shh.

I agree with both of you if that keep is defended by other oceanics
See thats where u both mess up. Your basically saying your time is worth the same…and yes it is but your not making the same effort till you fight someone.

A system where your score is set against the population in the zone would work fine. So if your 20 men fighting 20 men you get a full score. If your 50 men fighting 1 guy, the score is reduced.
You could play vs other oceanics/asian/nighters on the same borderlands which u would all move to for the higher scores. Once there is no1 in the zone the score reduces.

Its fair. Easy and affects anyone including me when my daughter wakes me up to game at 6 am :P

Put aside your problems with NA for god sake. Nag your goverment and get better broadband and come play EU :P

My broadband is absolutely fine thank you very much, but you’ve never, ever, played on an Oceanic server so don’t bother, we get muscled out even by Americans playing off peak time. They do exist bro. Nice try though <3 was cute.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

If ANet doesn’t improve the situation then participation and interest will fall off.

I find the “now you know what oceanics feel like” response kind of strange. Wouldn’t that be having no North American servers for the NA folk to fight on? Like a NA player logging into a game released only in Asia? Because the problem is that you have no Asian/Oceanic region to play on.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Smashing Mode.5840

Smashing Mode.5840

One thing i have learned from Runescape,is that f2p players have their own unofficial hiscore ranking.
Can’t we do the same thing?
Make a website that ranks servers based on points earned from x:time to x:time of the day.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: iiMulch.2138

iiMulch.2138

Ok look how about a suggestion:

Don’t make it possible for EU players to transfer to NA servers and NA players to transfer to EU servers. Because most of the people who night cap are American. For example when we played against Vizunha Square we had 50 Canadians capping through the night and everything was owned by Vizunha next morning.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Epoch.5396

Canadians arent americans btw

Like ozzies arent british

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

If ANet doesn’t improve the situation then participation and interest will fall off.

I find the “now you know what oceanics feel like” response kind of strange. Wouldn’t that be having no North American servers for the NA folk to fight on? Like a NA player logging into a game released only in Asia? Because the problem is that you have no Asian/Oceanic region to play on.

Uh … Ok … We can easily play on American servers, fact is Americans don’t want to play with us and if they do, their numbers are greatly smaller then other servers, in which due to free transfer, they leave. I don’t blame them for this. But as for competition, we have competition, there’s no need for us to have our own oceanic server, We don’t battle defenseless keeps, if anything we’re losing peak time to Tarnished Coast, lol. It’s not a fair comparison.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Epoch.5396

If your having massive battles in your primetime then my systems would work. Do you agree?

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

Previous

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Next

Hi everyone.

Remember that every discussion is productive as long as it is kept respectful and on topic so, please, lets do not go off-topic and impolite. Thanks.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

If your having massive battles in your primetime then my systems would work. Do you agree?

Absolutely agree, if you have 10 people, I have 20 people, our points are halfed due to the difference, perfectly fine with that. You will see most servers who have high oceanic presence will get max points anyway, so yes, I like the idea.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Epoch.5396

well at least one person does hehe. Ill go eat. GL with the NA’s

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Cloud.7613

I think WvWvW is flawed because of other reasons, free transfers and orbs. Orbs specially since if one server is more dominant over the others, with 3 orbs it becomes a snowball, which makes WvWvW not worth doing for the rest of the week.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Kazim.2043

Kazim.2043

One thing i have learned from Runescape,is that f2p players have their own unofficial hiscore ranking.
Can’t we do the same thing?
Make a website that ranks servers based on points earned from x:time to x:time of the day.

I think it will come to that eventually. Though I can’t think of an easy way to do that, either than players posting screenshots at specific times of day.

Izuvac.5713 “…like imagine 2 taliban server against 1 american…”

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Jacky Nipper.3846

Jacky Nipper.3846

Greetings everyone!

We’ve received lots of feedback regarding night capping. Many want to know how Arenanet views this. Our answer is that WvW was developed as a never ending continuous battle.

We feel that everyone should have the ability to contribute no matter what time of the day it is. How we’ve came to this conclusion is that no player’s time is more valuable than another. Everyone has different off peak hours for whatever reason. Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time. They too are paying customers.
This is not saying that we are against any adjustment to scoring, or against developing another mechanic to improve the capping system. This is simply saying that we will not be changing WvW based on some players’ idea of off time hours.

Please use this thread as the main discussion for this topic.

It nice to hear you consider the option to adjust the scoring system, I hope u will use some sofisticated statictic to at least eliminate to worst cases where some big force is playing against almost nobody on the map and will be able to scale gained points from such undefended objectives to minimum.

Jacky Nipper – Necro Raiders [NR]
Aurora Glade

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Zireael.3285

Zireael.3285

24/7 fighting arena is a good thing. People getting same amount of score for capping things at 5 a.m. with no resistance as people capping things at 7 p.m. with all servers 100% presence is outright wrong. The score should be based on the amount of deaths/time that was needed during capping an objective or at least the time that one server hold on to it and amount of upgrades one objective had. For example capping a keep with 0 upgrades and 0 defenders should give 0 score. Capping fully upgraded keep with three servers fighting for it should give highest possible score.

Before you implement any idea you come up with to adjusting scoring system you should have one thing in mind. People should be encouraged and rewarded to struggle and fight with as many people present as possible and discouraged to fight when other servers presence is close to 0. What is the point to WvW when there are no enemies except NPC’s anyway? People should be rewarded even more when they defend against uneven odds like being outnumbered 2:1 or more, or being attacked by 2 servers at the same keep/tower at the same time.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: romsea.8539

romsea.8539

Ok so having played around the clock on VS, i’ll try to give some insight on what’s happening from our point of view.

First off all i want to clarify one thing, we do not have any queue time past 1 am CEST, we may still outnumber a bit other servers between 3 to 6 am, but i do see small harass group and even good 20+ trying to cap points at those times. Mostly, what i feel the problem is, is PU leading.

Usually we have very strong PU lead during evening, at night and in the morning, while i see other server apparently motivated zerg at those time suddenly spread and run in fear as we try to stop them, ending attacking heavily defended keeps with 10 unorganized people here and there.

In the afternoon though, the opposite happens, the unorganised ennemy zerg suddenly appears with greater determination, focus on one tower without spreading and poping multiple siege engine to achieve their goals (mostly FS though), while small groups harass us.

At this time we have no strong PU lead, but instead a few people shouting at each other and trying desperatly to defend our territory, while our attacking people run like headless chickens here and there and we start loosing ground.
I’m not saying that there is no imbalance of population at any given time, but you people should also consider that there is many other factor involved in winning/loosing ground.

As soon as our PU leads shows up usually around 9 pm, we proceed to retake every thing we’ve lost, and let me tell you that this no pve and undefended towers at all.

All in all, i really wish that Anets gets to publish servers time coverage, i’m gessing that population imbalance in the top tier bracket is way less than people here are implying, and that losing accounts for a lot more than that…

(edited by romsea.8539)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: IKShadow.4582

IKShadow.4582

The fact is that scoring need’s to change ..

Getting score just by holding an objective is not acceptable .. eg if you do not fight for it do not get score for it.

FUtilez.com Mature Gaming Guild part of Seafarer’s Rest Community Site

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kolly.9872

the problem is not that some server outnumer other servers, the problem is how points are assigned to each server.
There should be more points for underpopulated servers that manage to capture 1 tower or keep and hold it, only when this will be fixed you will see more people starting to fight even when outmanned from the opponents and also they will start upgrading and defending what they have conquered with such a big effort.
If I keep defending my only tower on the map for 1 hour with other 10 players against 50+ players from server X that in the meanwhile can hold undefended the rest of the map cos there are no other enemies around and in the end I gain only +40 point (10 per tick from a tower), what’s the point on even stay there? that’s why many people are discouraged and leave the battlefield right after the weekend

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: lollie.5816

lollie.5816

People should be…discouraged to fight when other servers presence is close to 0.

Those are our natural playing hours. You suggesting we should be discouraged from playing in our own timezone? Don’t bother replying, because yes this is what you’re saying.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Lohengrin.8573

Lohengrin.8573

I don’t care mutch about this. I just laugh about some night zerg that enjoy fighting NPC.
For me, doing PvE in WvWvW, is pretty kitten

[OSC] Lohengrin Fenrir – Norn Warrior
Seafarer’s Rest

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

romsea.8539

You make no sense at all, you’re asking for a fix in score for underpopulated server stating in the same post that population imbalance is not the problem, as for IKShadow, holding points is the core of wvw, you will have to fight for it at some point, not sure what you’re asking for

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Draknar.8604

Draknar.8604

I see a lot of interesting ideas here, and while my post here is probably a reflection of a lot of peoples’ opinions I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

First, this thread is meant to give ANet’s concept of off-peak hours. I agree with them. I saw previous threads where members mentioned cutting off scores or having resets or other such systems so that night time or early morning play really doesn’t impact anything…which kind of makes players that have to play at those times feel like their efforts are worthless. Having worked night shifts and other odd hours in my life, I definitely appreciate ANet’s stance on giving everyone a chance to contribute regardless of time of day.

Second, in my personal opinion it is not so much about off-peak hours, as it is population imbalance. I started on Stormbluff Isle, which wasn’t doing too bad in the rankings, but the queue was insane. So, my friends and I switched to Devona’s Rest which is seriously underpopped. For casual gamers that only have an hour or so a night to play, having immediate queues are great! However, it stinks when our pop means that not only are we always losing score-wise like 10 to 1 (which I really don’t care about), but the gameplay itself just is not fun. You have to resort to avoiding the enemy, not confronting them in this sort of scenario.

What drove the nail in the coffin is when all the guilds pooled together and formed a joint operation with the other underpopped server in our trio-match, Kaineng. It worked well for a while (mainly for Kaineng as my server took the brunt off the defense), but soon fell short and the defenders (Boris Pass) were able to push BOTH of us back. Granted, even though we lost without even taking a tower it was great fun having a more fair matchup since the defenders were split over two fronts, but these types of operations are rare and usually WvWvW for us is an enemy legion crushing our home territories.

Finally, I wanted to make a note about buffs for outmanned servers. I don’t know anything about this concept, so please forgive my ignorance. The downside to giving players a “buff” is that if you find yourself in say a 5 person raiding party, and face up against another 5 man scout party, you would want that fight to be fair regardless of population. But, for the large zerg fights, then you would need something but it’s incredibly hard to balance it properly.

Instead, I think the easier route is, as others mentioned here already, limiting the population cap to the underpopped server for ALL servers. I want to make a modification to this though: This will never apply for your “home” borderlands. I feel you should always have the right to flood in and control your home territory. Taking away an enemy territory should be a special thing. For our server, Devona’s Rest, pretty much the whole time the enemy had our Garrison…and I think we only managed to take it back early Thursday morning (which some dummy claimed for their tiny or nonexistent guild when there were several other fine choices…ANet please take a look at the guild claiming system, purdy please).

This would certainly help servers with massive populations from steamrolling lower pop servers. It would also make gameplay more fun for the underpopped server and even more of an incentive to switch. If you have the time, and can PvE while you wait, I can completely understand why players would PREFER to sit in 3 hour queue if it meant not having to get crushed all the time. What fun is that?

As a side note, I would also like to see more info on the queues. What the max pop is at the moment, your position in queue, etc. it would be nice to know if you could get an idea as to which zone to queue up for (especially if you are trying to do something as a group of friends or with your guild). Party queueing would be GREAT.

Edit: I also wanted to clarify that I personally do not care at all about points or score. Granted, it is meant to be a means to help rank servers and match them up according to skill, which I enjoy and do not wish to undermine. However I don’t think only tampering with the score system is going to solve any problems. I want to sit down after dinner, hop in game for an hour, and have a fun battle on a persistant map. Score might be nice to reflect how well we are doing, but I’m not going to get my panties in a knot if I log on and see in the night we lost the lead. As long as the fights are fun and balanced I really just don’t care about score. What would annoy me, is if I log in and see 10 times as many enemies as my own server can muster. Needless to say I am therefore always annoyed when I log on fighting for Devona’s Rest =).

“If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.”

(edited by Draknar.8604)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kolly.9872

what I’m saying is that I don’t care if my server or any server will ever have number for facing overpopulated server, cos it’s obvious it will never be possible and totally even for all servers. But if I fight against a zerg with few people on my side and I manage to conquer and hold all I can, I cannot be rewarded in the same way as I would be on the other side, because my effort in taking and holding even 1 only tower is much bigger than an overpopulated server that holds the full map without enemies at all inside? you got me now? if not, it’s not my problem

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

romsea.8539

Your vision of top server match up is totally wrong, we do have a lot of outnumbered fight to deal with even as a leading realm.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: hellflame.2841

hellflame.2841

i agree with the whole " every one should be able to contribute no matter what time of day it is". what i do not understand is how the EUROPEAN ranking is dominated because of CANADIANS.

now my geography is a bit rusty, but last time i check there was a whole lot of water in between.

i understand you want to make night capping a vaible option for organised guilds, but with one server having as much people online during the day as overnight, that’s just outright “NOT FUN”, you’re basecly saying “they have as much right as you to have fun, so you guys must loose every WvW match”.

you should either mix US and EU servers all together to keep it fair, or region lock it completly. i know night capping is common on US servers , but afaik EU have only minor issues with this. except for that one french server with all the canadians.

-an angry shiverpeaks WvWer.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

romsea.8539

Ah yes, also forgot to say that canadian population on VS is very small.

Edit: there are, but most of them are small groups being part of big organised guilds.

(edited by romsea.8539)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kolly.9872

Your vision of top server match up is totally wrong, we do have a lot of outnumbered fight to deal with even as a leading realm.

from my point of view if my bigger effort, keeping myself to fight even when numbers are not close at all, is rewarded in some way, I would be happy and will stay there, defending over and over the few things I can hold.
If I stay on the bettleground cos I am happy and having fun, and more will stay like me cos our efforts are not futile, I suppose that even our enemies will have fun fighting at least against someone and not only NPC.
As I said the problem is not in numbers, cos it will take too long to balance server population (that part that will join WvW at least), the problem is giving people something to stay and keep fighting.
I don’t wanna say the bigger server should lose against the small one, but at least gimme something back for putting such a big effort in the fight.
Anyway we are here for discussing about a problem that eventually exists, so if you have some other proposal, I am here to listen

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

romsea.8539

Well as i’ve stated in other post i don’t feel there is a problem that player couldn’t handle themself.
Except maybe for free realm transfer that gives, in the wvw scenario, an easy solution versus having to organize a full time coverage or some “night” raid

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Zireael.3285

Zireael.3285

People should be…discouraged to fight when other servers presence is close to 0.

Those are our natural playing hours. You suggesting we should be discouraged from playing in our own timezone? Don’t bother replying, because yes this is what you’re saying.

Bravo! That’s exactly what I’m saying. You should be discouraged to fight with NPC’s. If you’re not bored to death with taking undefended keeps you should be discouraged to do so by getting 0 rewards, 0 points, 0 whatever for doing it. It’s not really everybody elses fault that your natural playing hours are when the rest of the world sleeps. Move or play with ppl in your timezone so you don’t have to fight with NPC’s.

(edited by Zireael.3285)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Markan.3460

Markan.3460

Given the 24 hour nature of the contest in WvW there seem to be only 2 real alternatives:

1. Reduce the impact of people playing outside of a server natural peak team buy wither tweaking points or preventing people playing outside of those hours

2. Have servers that are naturally 24/7 as well

Option 1 seems like a non-starter. There are people who play outside of the natural peak hour for very real reasons like shift work, or lack of a server whose natural peak time matches theirs (Australians etc). Plus there are people from EU who play on NA servers because their friends are there (I am part of an international community).

The real solution seems to be Option 2. A single server set means that all the servers are intended to be busy 24/7 and that keeps the matchups fair without prejudice against any group. There are some potential lag issues but experience so far has been fine and many other games (LOTRO, TSW etc) are managing fine that way.

The Older Gamers – Yak’s Bend

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

romsea.8539

But Markan, Anet stated repeatedly that wvw is meant to be 24/7, and we all knew that server could be accessed worldwide from the start, so your “number 2” solution is already in place since launch…
The tag in front of them is to indicate where the central is, or which main language would be spoken,no more no less…
Ah well i guess i said what i felt had to be said, i’m done with this

(edited by romsea.8539)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Cavalorn.8057

Cavalorn.8057

We feel that everyone should have the ability to contribute no matter what time of the day it is. How we’ve came to this conclusion is that no player’s time is more valuable than another.

I’m afraid there is an inherent contradiction here, and it has to do with the meaning of the term ‘valuable’.

You seem to be confusing ‘valuable to us, the game company’ with ‘valuable in the context of an ongoing war between servers’.

You are emphasising the value of every player’s account to you by allowing all players to participate on the same terms regardless of region. This is understandable.

But when it comes to the value of a given player’s time to the wvwvw campaign, then an ‘off peak’ player’s time is demonstrably more valuable than a ‘prime time’ player’s. Off peak players are able to garner points for their server at times that regular players cannot. This is reflected in the way servers are actively trying to recruit off peak players.

So, when you say ‘valuable’, you need to consider to whom something is valuable.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kolly.9872

lemme understand:
NA servers talk English (yeah American English), EU servers talk English, then why split them into 2 parts? if WvW was realy intended to be a 24\7 match, they shouldn’t make those distiction into NA\EU. This was the first fault they made, it’s not an european player fault going in an EU server