Night Capping and YOU

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Syntax.9602

Syntax.9602

No, what’s killing WvW is fickle players who only play for a stupid scoreboard and give up when they can’t “win.”

Night capping is only a problem because players are more concerned with points than the perks of having 24/7, round the clock, WvW.

It’s not the scoreboard. It is coming home from work owning nothing on the map and fight against… well luckily only two Orbs. I don’t see any “perks”

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Houdii.2563

Houdii.2563

If you’re coming home from work owning nothing wouldn’t it be day capping?

Houdii Hoo
[KoS]
SBI

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

Nothing is wrong with nightcapping. The servers are still being balanced, hence why we don’t have 2 week battles. Asia also cannot get the game yet. Once all that’s taken care of, transfers will cost gems and servers will be properly balanced for the most part.

Sorry that in a terrible economy I’m forced to work graveyard to have a job. Guess that makes me an insomniac and not a person…. SMH

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Thyophelis.8035

Thyophelis.8035

Well to be honest I don t mind night capping. I myself work quite late and like to play till 2 or 3 am. My problem is that i am forced to log off after midnight atm because 2000 american players transfered to an european server and turn the whole map blue. At night my server used to have around 30 people on all 4 maps. ATM we have 0 people on all maps. We have regular WVW days with my guild where we would get 35 people into TS. now we can hardly get 10 people together, the match is so borked and the effort is just not worth it, to loose everything after an hour you log off.
Same thing goes for the 2nd rated server on the match up. They used to own the map in early hours because they had a strong russian faction. nothing it s 10 am and still Desolation has 95% of the map.
nobody cares anymore and I ask myself, why i should log on.

Aurona- fugly white bark sylvarie ele
MS-Mondsucht, pure small scale forever !
Kodash-we thrife on outmanned

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Syntax.9602

Syntax.9602

If you’re coming home from work owning nothing wouldn’t it be day capping?

I actually never call it night-capping myself, since first it isn’t night in the USA and second it is more Off-Peak-Capping, since Australia would have its primetime at 12am for us, so they would technically do high noon-capping, or asians would do breakfast-capping.

And the problem is, that a comeback is rather difficult, since almost no people are online, the people that come online look into the battlefield, see everything colored and no one is there and they log out again.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Anyone else find it funny that the general solution to this problem is for people to switch servers that are overseas? NA playing in EU just as EU and oceanic played in NA to take advantage of such sleep periods. Can we end the whole separate servers now for na/eu? At least this way there is more variety of servers to play against.

Sorry what? You cannot compare NA players playing in EU to Oceanic players playing in NA. Funny though, kind of made my night. One question though, If you’ll indulge me what do you expect the Oceanic players to do? go to the EU servers where we will lag even more so you can have your NA only game? No thank you.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Houdii.2563

Because they play for a scoreboard, not for WvW. If you were playing for WvW then a fully enemy coloured map is exactly what you want to come home too, hours worth of action to be had. It’s the 1"why bother we won’t win" attitude that’s killing WvW, using off peak capping as the reason is stupid.

Why would you wanna limit WvW to certain time periods a day really? Wouldn’t having 24/7 action be the greatest thing for any PvP game? Right now the fixation on the scoreboard is what’s hurting things most of all, anyone who doesn’t realise this is a moron.

Orbs are another matter and have nothing to do with this topic, their buff is a stupid mechanic and needs to be changed regardless.

Houdii Hoo
[KoS]
SBI

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Houdii.2563

Bleh posting off a phone forgive the errors.

Houdii Hoo
[KoS]
SBI

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Tortun.5946

Tortun.5946

Shouldn’t there be diminished returns for factions that are zerging whilst there’s no one else on the map? A reduction of up to 50% on locations… then as other factions begin to show up the points rise?

There has to be a way round it as US players which I think is great come over to assist the tier 1/2 folks meaning those mid to lower level on the score boards will never rise up out of their tier unless Canada or the US are hit by an EMP….

Tortun – Protector of Gandara and Bessie!
WvWvW Player Who Doesn’t Have Much of A Clue

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: DavidMonthen.4398

DavidMonthen.4398

Because they play for a scoreboard, not for WvW. If you were playing for WvW then a fully enemy coloured map is exactly what you want to come home too, hours worth of action to be had. It’s the 1"why bother we won’t win" attitude that’s killing WvW, using off peak capping as the reason is stupid.

Why would you wanna limit WvW to certain time periods a day really? Wouldn’t having 24/7 action be the greatest thing for any PvP game? Right now the fixation on the scoreboard is what’s hurting things most of all, anyone who doesn’t realise this is a moron.

Orbs are another matter and have nothing to do with this topic, their buff is a stupid mechanic and needs to be changed regardless.

Eeexactly.

Commander – Kaargoth Bloodsteel
Gunnars Hold – [RUN]
www.run-guild.com

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Brunners.7251

Brunners.7251

EnoLive.2367: “Simple solution:
Kill WvWvW and make it GvGvG.
Lets face it the game name is Guild Wars Not Server Wars.
Problem solved”

You do realise the name Guild Wars has nothing to do with the ability to have guilds battle in game, right? The name is entirely to do with the lore and history of Tyria.

While GvG would be good, claiming it should replace Wuvwuv because of the name of the game is incorrect.

As for nightcapping…well. Who cares about the score anyway? If (as others have said) I come home to a map entirely the other colour, it just gives me a ton of stuff to do when I get in. I live for those moments.

Acadamey Gaming EU [AG] twitch.tv/brunners90

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Cruzyo.7304

Cruzyo.7304

the only solution for “nightcapping” is to remove the area reference (EU/NA and so on) along with a complete server wipe by forcing the players to (re-)pick a new server.

that and only that way you’ll have 24/7 coverage on all servers. still some more some less, but overall way more balanced than right now.

You are forgetting language based servers. The German players come from the same time zone.

There is also latency issue when you are playing on server located far away.

In case you did not know, France, Germany and Spain are all located within europe

j/k i know that i didnt point them out but of course those should be wiped aswell.

for the latency. I wrote in another topic already, that i have reason to believe the WvWvW servers are located in the US already so, there wouldnt be a problem.

The reason I believe the servers are located in the US is, whenever im in party with a guildie that is in WvW and i’m regulary exploring the world, his location is shown as “World versus World (Sorrow’s Furnace)” while we are originally located on Underworld. Might be just a display bug but after all, latency aint that much of a issue in wvw since its only going to be a difference of 100 – 200 ms at max and as WvW is designed, its not about 1v1 fights where latency can be a matter

Simple solution:
Problem solved

and what other problems would come from that? It would have to be a very complex system so monster guilds of hundreds of players aint favored over small guilds.

WvW is fine, it just needs some adjustments to assure population balance.
Once population balance is pretty much granted, any counting system will work out

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Kyus.3812

Kyus.3812

OP is right in one respect,
the scoring system is to blame, that is it.

Whilst the solution isn’t correct this is what needs to be solved.

The one rule that any new scoring system needs to obey is everyone is equal (no matter the hours that they play).

at present prime time gamers are not equal to that of night teams because the maps are designed to be played at capacity. with a continuous scoring tick those playing at night using a dedicated team in 8 hours can completely irradicate anything done in the previous 16 hours rendering most gamers contribution pointless.

In the current matchup we are playing in, I won’t mention what server but basically we are coming in fighting and winning early in prime time, and the opposition guilds instantly leave. we then wander around fighting the respectable people on that specific server and eventually with little competition we have to log out. I have stayed on longer recently and have realised that those guilds that logged earlier in the day come back on as soon as they know our main alliance has logged off.

yesterday we continued to play later than intended and when they logged back on we destroyed them once again and they simply either logged off or switched borderlands. These guilds make up a large proportion of players on the server at fault and they are actively avoiding fights to win the match up, this has been observed over an entire week consistently and frankly if they want to win like this then so be it but they are just deceitful cowards who are ruining the nature of open world pvp. (I think this is my first forum rant ever)

Kyús – 80 – Guardian// All Classes Level 80
Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Regrets of Sini.6083

Regrets of Sini.6083

As a prime-time player, I feel Anet is ignoring us in favor of keeping tiny minority of night cappers happy.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Why would you wanna limit WvW to certain time periods a day really?

I have not proposed limiting anyone’s play time in any way. No-one else mentioned that either in this thread. You pulled that into discussion out of nowhere.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Simple solution:
Problem solved

The fact that you think the name “Guild Wars” has anything to actually do with pvp is amusing.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kyus.3812

I have not proposed limiting anyone’s play time in any way. No-one else mentioned that either in this thread. You pulled that into discussion out of nowhere.

it removes the ability to score points for anyone playing during 1/3 of a day. this isn’t the solution. the solution is normalising score over 3 daily time periods to a smaller ammount for winning during each period rather than the accumulated totals for holding keeps.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Or get 24/7 coverage.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Cetung Cetungos.1752

Cetung Cetungos.1752

I’m giving up playing WvW, because at the moment it does not make any sense. I think that the system is unconsidered and has serious flaws

Ranger lvl 80 [SURI] Far Shiverpeaks

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Legitemy.9041

Legitemy.9041

Just gave up on WvW, our whole server (FS) gave up due nightcapping of americans in Desolution.
So now even during the day the enemy has a whole zerg in front of our very first spawn that kills us.

Goodjob Anet.. keep giving everyone the chance to ruin the best part of this game.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Anet: Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time.

1. Find this one interesting, you don’t want to punish players who can’t play at “EU peak hour” but still you punish the servers who don’t have night capers. US players should not be allowed on EU servers for that reason and the latency reason! Whats the point of having North American/ EU servers when they don’t play at their own servers?

Anet: They too are paying customers.

1. So are we….

Anet: This is simply saying that we will not be changing WvW based on some players’ idea of off time hours.

1. That’s just BULL, so now you call the community “some players” Get you head out of the cracker and look at the statistics and you will see the real deal. More or less every match up will have one servers dominate due too night capers. So this is not a NEVER ending battle, the battle is over when a server have the entire maps for more then two nights.

Few things to point out: Latency reasons? Do /ip, then look at it. There are no “EU” servers.

Few weeks ago I was thinking that “Oh, we shouldn’t allow people outside of the designated zone to join the servers” too. But then I realized that there are only two series: EU and American. And America doesn’t even have Spanish or French servers, so its no wonder Canadians want to huddle with the french. And I don’t think the right answer would be making Asian bracket or adding FR/Spanish servers to America, much too late for that now.
And preventing even minority players from playing with their friends would definately not be the answer. (And it isn’t such a small minority either.)

Well, tbh, I’d like to see the EU and America divide removed, everything made international. The servers are already in the same spot anyways, and wouldn’t it be better if all the servers had players 24/7 instead of each server having their peak hours?

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Korgov.7645

it removes the ability to score points for anyone playing during 1/3 of a day. this isn’t the solution. the solution is normalising score over 3 daily time periods to a smaller ammount for winning during each period rather than the accumulated totals for holding keeps.

You are drawing a wrong conclusion.

Eliminating daytime (or late off peak hours or the 3rd time zone) players’ ability to gain score for their team is not what it is about. They have equal opportunity to gain score for their team as anyone else.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Dax.3815

Dax.3815

Still not a solution? I guess its time to start migrating guilds to other servers. Such a kittening shame that dev’s dont give a rats kitten about this issue. Oh well. Thank god for to free server transferes.

I guess the next stage in wvw is flavor of the week server. -_-

So incredably sad that the only thing that REALLLY makes gw2 stand out WvW is totally screwed over by Anet…

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Panzerswein.7984

Panzerswein.7984

no.4 is interesting, but similar solution was implemented in WoW during Wintergrasp battles, and unfortunately, doesn’t worked.
In fact only real solution is separation

… or weaker gates to increase “challenge” of killing them

Well, it’s been tried once in WoW and it did not work very well, true that. But this is not WoW, this is not Wintergrasp, this is not Blizzard, and its years back! We’re in 2012, this is Anet, this is GW2, this is new, so yes, the chances that it might work is pretty good in my opinion.

Seperation might be an effective solution, but might also cause disturbance by players who can’t choose this freely.

(Im not native english)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Belfagor Diabolos.1940

Belfagor Diabolos.1940

THX Anet for “american” invasion on European WvW tournaments, now with unbalanced servers ( with huge numbers of NA – registered players on Desolation EU server – actually semi American at the moment ) all this joy from WWW fight ( sometimes winning other day loosing ) just disappear. Very thanks for “Ruin”-ing fair-play on “European” competition… maybe shortly U will achieve another success destroying identity EU servers when more NA-base players come to play in EU region converting to semi-American zone ….
Goodjob Anet
I’m giving up playing WvW,, have enough …

Far Shiverpeaks [EU]

(edited by Belfagor Diabolos.1940)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kyus.3812

You are drawing a wrong conclusion.

Eliminating daytime (or late off peak hours or the 3rd time zone) players’ ability to gain score for their team is not what it is about. They have equal opportunity to gain score for their team as anyone else.

I misread your original statement, no idea how I drew that conclusion I am with you now.

unfortunately I think you’ll find there is a day squad on servers too its not a case of nothing changing hands or being guarded for 8 hours during the day and much of the initial burst in huge scores happen over the weekend. but yeh npcs’s that do contribute more would be great.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: jayderyu.3751

jayderyu.3751

Korgov the problem with your post is that Team C isn’t insomniacs staying up late. It’s people on another part of the planet where the time for them is 6pm to 11pm. ie their primetime hours. Tha’ts not night. unfrotunatly you are a nightcapper as you are taking their hard earned primetime work.

I don’t need no stinking signature.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kyus.3812

Korgov the problem with your post is that Team C isn’t insomniacs staying up late. It’s people on another part of the planet where the time for them is 6pm to 11pm. ie their primetime hours. Tha’ts not night. unfrotunatly you are a nightcapper as you are taking their hard earned primetime work.

his suggestion isn’t taking there prime time since it would work for any low population hour all he is saying is have a more aggressive rogue npc system that will allow enemies that are neutral to capture camps if left unattended. it would be active for 24 hours a day so it would be in place for everyone. his point is to prevent a map with no one in it constantly ticking points.

i don’t think it will work as a solution but its an idea.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

There would be such an easy way to fix WvW and anet doesn’t seem to give a kitten about loosing so many players, just add asian/oceanic servers, regionlock WvW and restrict the number of players in WvW based on the number the lowest populated server has in the maps.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Cetung Cetungos.1752

Cetung Cetungos.1752

Now what makes sense to division into the U.S. and EU servers? Total bullkitten. Let the Asians will still play and will have “more fun”. What time is 18:22 Central European Time, on the server Far Shiverpeaks entire map is “blue”. Group of players has been closed at the starting point. Invite ANet people to the game. Wonder if You will be happy with such a game.

Sorry for my bad English

Ranger lvl 80 [SURI] Far Shiverpeaks

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Korgov.7645

his suggestion isn’t taking there prime time since it would work for any low population hour all he is saying is have a more aggressive rogue npc system that will allow enemies that are neutral to capture camps if left unattended. it would be active for 24 hours a day so it would be in place for everyone. his point is to prevent a map with no one in it constantly ticking points.

You nailed the point exactly, Kyus.

I was hoping some discussion why it would not work. So far only 2 people who got the point but do not feel it is a good solution for some unrevealed reason.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

It’s not so much night capping as off hours capping.

Points gained when no one else isonline need to be worth less than points gained during server primetime (when the most people are online) or you are making the time of the off hours crew much much more valuable than the time of everyone else.

At this point I’d recommend they make several BL, one for each ‘primetime’ and just lock those BL’s after the window is gone. So if you win, say, the oceanic BL during the oceanic prime time, it gets ‘locked’ to you and all the NA players that log on during the oceanic night time can’t just effortlessly take it back.

The NA players won’t be bored because they’l have their own BL to fight in.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Kyus.3812

I was hoping some discussion why it would not work. So far only 2 people who got the point but do not feel it is a good solution for some unrevealed reason.

my opinion on why it won’t work is two fold.

1) the issue is general imbalance over a 24 hour period there is a “day squad” as well as a prime time squad and a night squad. (or american asain european gamers whatever you want to call it). So the NPC’s will always have someone willing to counter them its not like the zones stay totally empty.

the issue in low pop hours is the zones are designed for their player caps. when the cap is reduced whoever has more players gets free reign on capturing stuff. only when the caps on all servers are full is there a true sense of competition.

2) people don’t like getting too much pve into their pvp. if you had an npc faction then this would be an issue for a lot of pvp’ers (not me personally but it would come up). also the current npc guards are controlled by the server that completes their DE. so the more populated server would have these NPC’s too under the current situation.

I don’t think its a silly idea, I just think that it doesn’t address the heart of the problem which is exponential increase in scores from total map control during low pop hours (a point which you agree with). I believe the problem to address is the actual method of accumulating a score. I made a lengthy post earlier about it but no one even replied so I’m clearly a crazed idiot for thinking the problem is in the scoring mechanic :-) .

still it is an interesting idea all the same even if I don’t agree.

Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Chewy.9263

Chewy.9263

In before the thread gets locked! And my response on this matter is that there is nothing broken with the system. Any type of hindrance to players playing at a certain time would cause WvW to not be a fair 24/7 battle. I do like the more aggressive npc idea. If server has the out-maned buff, make the npc’s a bit tougher, but not impossible, to take down.

Love

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Korgov.7645

my opinion on why it won’t work is two fold.

1) the issue is general imbalance over a 24 hour period there is a “day squad” as well as a prime time squad and a night squad. (or american asain european gamers whatever you want to call it). So the NPC’s will always have someone willing to counter them its not like the zones stay totally empty.

the issue in low pop hours is the zones are designed for their player caps. when the cap is reduced whoever has more players gets free reign on capturing stuff. only when the caps on all servers are full is there a true sense of competition.

2) people don’t like getting too much pve into their pvp. if you had an npc faction then this would be an issue for a lot of pvp’ers (not me personally but it would come up). also the current npc guards are controlled by the server that completes their DE. so the more populated server would have these NPC’s too under the current situation.

I don’t think its a silly idea, I just think that it doesn’t address the heart of the problem which is exponential increase in scores from total map control during low pop hours (a point which you agree with). I believe the problem to address is the actual method of accumulating a score. I made a lengthy post earlier about it but no one even replied so I’m clearly a crazed idiot for thinking the problem is in the scoring mechanic :-) .

still it is an interesting idea all the same even if I don’t agree.

Thanks for the critique.

For the first point I should start by saying I am playing on server which is always under the cap. The solution is aimed to solve inequality of player’s time investment’s worth. The solution does very little towards the population imbalances per hour. The server with more players than other servers at given time will prosper – just not quite as fast as today.

I agree with the second point myself, too. That indeed is a weak point of the solution.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: EnoLive.2367

EnoLive.2367

Just face facts.
The Dev’s are not going to stop night capping or day capping for that matter because they want you to use your money up be that in game money or real money, their stance of “We want everyone to enjoy the experience of WvWvW” is just another way of saying meh we CBA to deal with it.
We can all rant and rave for and against here but honestly nothing is going to change other than you’ll end up with the server just chasing each other around the maps Zerging from one spot to another.
Players will stop upgrading places, or even bother to use tactics, hell they may as well leave all their gear in the bank and run around naked to save on repairs as well.
Its sad to say but ArenaNet have got this really really wrong and it will be the death of GW2 if they don’t act soon.

Co Leader & Founder “Privateers Uk” [PUK]
Gandara
Eno Live (Ele)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Selminus.1490

Selminus.1490

This anet post is wildly flawed for one reason. One players time isn’t more valuable than anothers due to times played – true. 40 players times are definitely more valuable than 5 and that is what’s happening at night when a guild logs and 5 clowns erase all of their work.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Millamber.4782

Millamber.4782

The problem with nightcapping could be solved system changes like outmanned buff. Now it gives only some bonuses, which dont give any advantage in battle. On the other side ppl on the server with big nightcaping crew(usually caused by ppl from other time zone like America, who have prime time during EUs night) get soon all orbs and get huge advantage against other 2 servers(if you count all bonuses, you get about 50 percent stronger). This makes the difference bethween server powers larger, if it is 20vs50 in number of players, with the 3 orb bonus its like 20vs75. Even in prime time, when all servers have the maps full, the nightcaping server is like 50 percent stronger because of all the orbs, they got in night without any problems during night. It is very frustrating from ppl on other servers, when they need to fight against 50 percent stronger enemies in fully upgraded castles and towers. Even if they against all the circumstances play so good, that they get most of the map back on the end of main time after 6 hours of tough battles, they loose it in 1 hour during night.
Some of so frustrated players often stop playing wvw or change server, which makes the gap even bigger.
The solution could be simple: just give big bonuses to players, which are outmanned to be competitive against the higher numbers enemy. Something like:
1 server has 20 percent more players on map, ppl on the other servers will get 10 percent buff(not to each stat, combined like 2% damage, 2% hp, 2% precision, 2% toughtness and 2% vitality).
1 server has 50 percent more players on map, ppl on the other servers will get 25 percent buff
S scaled up to 1 server has 10 times more players on map, ppl on the other servers will get 5 times stronger. so in the night if there is 100 nightcapers vs 10 defenders it is like they fight 100 vs 50, so they will cap some part of the map, but not whole map and they can be stopped, if the other teams small group has really top players.
This will make fights on each maps competitive no matter how are the numbers. The server with higher numbers would still have some advantage, but it will be much lower.
Orbs bonuses could be change to magic and gold find, karma boost etc. So no combat advatages.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

I don’t mind that it happens, but when nightcappers get the same amount of points for beating on an undefended door as 50 people do for fighting tooth and nail against 50 other people, it doesn’t make sense.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I don’t mind that it happens, but when nightcappers get the same amount of points for beating on an undefended door as 50 people do for fighting tooth and nail against 50 other people, it doesn’t make sense.

They get more points. Because nobody is there to delay them or stop them. They get uncontested points throughout the entire off-hour hours. Then the prime time hits and all 3 servers are going at it. But its too late to catch up. We’re hours and hours of uncontested points behind.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Wicked Lilith.7361

Wicked Lilith.7361

Look best way is remove all NA players to NA, Europe players to Europe servers….and get Asians and Oceania their servers, Leave the free transfers on but under condition its only in same Zone…from Eu server to EU server… And Charge 10 euro/15bucks per transfer to Out of zone server. The way I see it, you will either get huge amounts of cash, or wont have to worry about us complaining about NA players in Europe or Oceania players in NA or Europe players in NA…or w/e.
Also the unmanned buff…..its a laugh, really Ill be able to get more Karma, magic items in WvWvW while the other side keeps 20 ppl on each camp, Plz explain where am I going to get it exactly…on NPCs? I have PvE for that.
The other way I see you can solve this is simple instead of stupid buff, just make all NPCs Legendary and able to use siege…. Maybe double their numbers so Overseas players at least need to work for those Towers, Keeps, Garrisons, Castles.
When i better think charge 100Bucks for out of Zone Server transfer…problem solved

There is time to rest, time to work and there is time to kill something…
Kasumi Yashiro Human Engineer FSP White Dragons Legion (XIII)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Vytality.3195

Vytality.3195

I love this game, and intend on being here for quite a while, but WvWvW is the endgame content for me and a lot of other folks. Currently, it is broken. Here are my suggested fixes:

1. Allow server transfers, but when a player xfers, they are ineligible to wvw for the current match and the next if it is within 3 days.

2. If a server owns no points on a map, they are allowed to build siege in their spawn area.

3. Owning orbs gives defensive bonuses (or the current outmanned buff) while not owning the orb in your borderland gives you offensive bonuses.

4. Point accumulation scales inversely with relative population.

Anyway, SOMETHING needs to be done soon!

Vytality, HOPE, Fort Aspenwood

Vytality- Guardian
Vyt Mindbender- Mesmer
Fort Aspenwood since BWE 3. Spirit of Faith (HOPE)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Snowpea.5469

Snowpea.5469

The easiest solution is to make a keep hard to take no matter how many people are on.

If one server has 100 and the other server has 5, just boost up the NPCs so its still hard for the 100 to get the keep. Auto upgrade keeps to max reinforcement. Give them free seige weaponry & have NPCs on balista ect.

Taking a keep which isnt defended, is not only boring, but its not PVP.

If there are only 5 defenders against 50, give them reinforced walls & arrow carts for free, plus heavy NPC assistance. Make the keep lord super tough champion style.

The fun in PVP is difficult battles, losing some, winning some.

What a thrill it would be to have a chance of defeating a big zerg with only a few defenders, plus it would be more fun for the zerg as they would get to fight players rather than just taking undefended keeps.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Look best way is remove all NA players to NA, Europe players to Europe servers….and get Asians and Oceania their servers, Leave the free transfers on but under condition its only in same Zone…from Eu server to EU server… And Charge 10 euro/15bucks per transfer to Out of zone server. The way I see it, you will either get huge amounts of cash, or wont have to worry about us complaining about NA players in Europe or Oceania players in NA or Europe players in NA…or w/e.
Also the unmanned buff…..its a laugh, really Ill be able to get more Karma, magic items in WvWvW while the other side keeps 20 ppl on each camp, Plz explain where am I going to get it exactly…on NPCs? I have PvE for that.
The other way I see you can solve this is simple instead of stupid buff, just make all NPCs Legendary and able to use siege…. Maybe double their numbers so Overseas players at least need to work for those Towers, Keeps, Garrisons, Castles.
When i better think charge 100Bucks for out of Zone Server transfer…problem solved

Absolutely not, Oceanic/Asia players will be back by lunch, sorry NA, you’re stuck with us.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Tahantos.5106

Tahantos.5106

Hmm, something tells me the devs made this topic to keep people from spamming the forums about this matter and having a reason to close their topics because it’s being already discussed somewhere, rather than actually doing something about this…

Well I can’t blame them since it’s the most reasonable thing to do, but promising to do something about this and then in 28 or whatever days later not having done anything about it or even telling about their ideas or opinions about our ideas… That’s just low in my opinion…

Anyway, they won’t make the servers EU only and US only because they want everyone to be able to play with everyone. So… why not give people 2 accounts that are completely separate from one another. One for EU and one for US. Where your account is at the moment will determine where it is “rooted” to.
That way you can play with everyone and have at least something to fight against this nightcapping issue…

Oh wait, you can do wvwvw as lvl 1… so that wouldn’t change anything except give a small disadvantage.

Another thing that has been brought up but I just wanna comment it… “Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time. They too are paying customers.”
Those who play at so called night time are punished because they can’t do WvWvW against nightcappers, like 0 chance of getting out of spawn area and doing anything. SO THEY ARE UNABLE TO EXPERIENCE AND VIEW THE SAME CONTENT AS EVERYONE ELSE BECAUSE THEY PLAY AT A DIFFERENT TIME.

You devs should have figured out that this is not just something you can wait on and see if someone comes up with a good idea. This is a real problem that goes against the principles of what you stand for. Thus, this is something YOU will also have to brainstorm on, not just the community.

Now about the players getting more power the less they are in number… Rather than doing it that way, why not make the larger group have a lower level cap. That would make it quite a bit more harder to conquer everything during the “night time”…
For example group A has 10 players lvl cap 80, group B has 20 players lvl cap 80, group C has 200 players lvl cap 75(or make it a range from 70-80 depending on the difference of population). Group C can experience wvwvw, just with quantity over quality, and group A and B can experience wvwvw, just with quality over quantity.
Now I know there is the glancing effect, but maybe for wvwvw it can be changed.

(edited by Tahantos.5106)

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

Let’s just keep in mind that people who are QQing about nightcapping are Americans playing in NA servers with small European/Oceanic/Asian populations, or Europeans playing in EU servers with small American/Oceanic/Asian populations.

Placing restrictions on ‘nightcapping’ punishes Oceanic and Asian players who would be ‘daycapping’ while the Americans and Europeans sleep. If there had been Oceanic and Asian servers to begin with this wouldn’t be such a huge issue. But as we are forced to pick between either an American or European server, we have to play when the majority of the other players are asleep.

Why should players be punished for their timezones? If you want to make WvWvW fairer, there are plenty of other things you could do, like alter the free server transfer system, or have Oceanic and Asian servers, or match up servers based on their American, European, Oceanic and Asian populations rather than what it is now where scores better reflect how many non-NA players are in an NA server or non-EU players in an EU server than any sort of strategy people are trying to use.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Korgov.7645

The easiest solution is to make a keep hard to take no matter how many people are on.

If one server has 100 and the other server has 5, just boost up the NPCs so its still hard for the 100 to get the keep. Auto upgrade keeps to max reinforcement. Give them free seige weaponry & have NPCs on balista ect.

Rewarding a server for not having enough players in WvW does not sound right.

What is high populated server chooses to downplay to get the benefits? Conquer the map and then no-one enters WvW. NPCs will make it hard for other servers to reclaim the land.

Better increase the friendly NPC toughness proportionally to how little of the map your server holds.

Then the highest activity server would still win, but it would have it increasingly difficult to conquer the entire map. Lower activity server can put up a decent fight against the superior forces in the few nodes they still have left. The third server would not gang up against the weakest because it has toughest NPCs.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

The problems aren’t some asians/oceanians, the problem is that you folks are too concentrated on some servers, restricting the playernumbers wouldn’t affect you, you would just have to divide yourselfes equaly throughout the servers (like we europeans and americans are forced to do if we don’t want to wait hours in a queue at our prime time) and thereby wouldn’t have a queue.

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Roo Stercogburn.9671

Roo Stercogburn.9671

Given that ArenaNet loudly and widely declare GW2 to be a skill based game, the mechanics that encourage…

a) servers to recruit people from different time zones

or

b) guilds to migrate to servers with people in different time zones just to win

… rather gives lie to that lofty declaration.

However, I’m not against people being able to contribute out of hours or off prime time. I agree they should get some reward for their time spent but the current game mechanics encourage Player Vs Door combat and the net result is that for servers largely based on a population in one time zone, they can never hope to win, even if they play better and more skillfully with greater server-wide strategy and tactics than at those times they do play their opponents will win simply by having a nightshift that hits doors, reinforces the keeps and lets the points tick over while there’s nobody to contest them. I’ve watched this occur since game launch now and it is consistent and will persist.

This needs to be addressed urgently. Six months from now will be too late for your average joe that goes out for some fun when they get home from work. Again, I have to point ArenaNet at their own widely touted design philosophy that WvW ‘is for everyone’. Persist in encouraging and rewarding servers with a nightshift over those that play largely in one timezone and you undermine your own ability to make money. You might end up with a hardcore subset of the population but ultimately you’ll be left with that and nothing else i.e. you have lean times ahead. That would be a shame for the game that offers potentially the best large scale combat since DAoC.

The only ‘win’ in WvW is beating the other servers. If ArenaNet continue to allow PvD > all then most of the WvW players will stick it out for a while then leave. Fudge the numbers if you like and smile for the public so long as behind the scenes your devs are all over this like, well, programmers in a pizza factory.

First thing I’d do is make the points tick a sliding scale which increases as prime time approaches for a server time zone then gradually drops off as it gets into the small hours for that time zone. Hitting the doors out of hours still generates a tick, still puts the opponent on the backfoot but isn’t (as it is now) an utterly unbalancing deciding factor in which server wins in a given week because they blast ahead on a massive points boost even if they play like turkeys when the other servers are awake.

Skill based game, remember?

After making changes, I’d then offer players/guilds a last chance for a free transfer back to servers in their own time zone, then shut off the free transfers.

Master Baker on Gunnars Hold serving you hot cookies.
Looney vids at http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCRhCtfrF9GhxU1CoeZSN0kQ/u
Midnight Mayhem

Night Capping and YOU

in WvW

Posted by: Spacedad.2841

Spacedad.2841

I am of the view that wvw (in its present form) is subject to a lot of very poor design choices, pretty much all of which have been discussed over and over again in this thread.

I have stated this numerous times and I’ll state it again: I really want to see Anet rethink how wvw works the way that they rethought how the basic gameplay and pve game for mmorpgs in GW2 works.

Right now, the game is a hand-me-down from dark age of camelot, with all the problems and anachronisms the mode had – and then some. There surely is a better way to do ‘mass scale pvp’ than this.