Night capping - final solution

in WvW

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

- I’m not sure how much effort is Rams v. Empty keep

How much effort is it for a zerg? It’s a lot more effort to take a keep for a single player, or small group, then it is for a 30 man force.

- The suggestion doesn’t affect your playtime

Yes it does, since it rewards my time less then your time.

- Currently the daytime players are punished – just compare the outcomes of a nightshift, and a dayshift

No they aren’t, you get the same rewards regardless of the time of day. Daytime players can face similar counter play as night players, just because on your server players prefer to group together on the same time of the day shouldn’t affect players

- No, but I expect the referee to do something – like even if I take the hits, at least it shouldn’t effect scoring

The referee should disqualify you for taking a nap during the fight.

You can not expect everyone else to adapt to what is more convenient for you.

in WvW

frans.8092

… this is separate GW2 mode, you can visit your friends by questing etc.

Maybe they want to play in Wvw with their friends.

in WvW

Posted by: Torgrim.3642

Torgrim.3642

I’m on a EU server I don’t see any kind of problem if some EU plaers wanna do a all nighter to catch up or just out of a job or whatever thats their choice
The problem I see is when other TZ other than EU login on their primetime our night time and absolut steamroll the borderlands with little resistent then it becomes a problem.

Some of us takes pride in siegeing up towers/keeps/upgrading all that is gone due to 95% of my server are asleep while the brave 5% left can only watch when 40+ zerg takes hills,bay,garri and cant do anything to prevent it.

in WvW

Posted by: Sin.4130

Sin.4130

Maybe EU last tier is not good example but I have noticed that few Americans from WSR even not playing randomly they always appear only deep at night and only when our borders (EU) are totally empty just to reset all borders. They even manage to gain like 20k+ points per night, if this is normal competition someone is out of his mind.

During day it is hard to find any decent fight in last tier, so this tier is black hole where due to that broken system everybody can stuck

(edited by Sin.4130)

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Well, this is ultimately up to Anet to decide.

But just the simple fact that this is brought up for the 1000th time now indicates that there is a problem, even if some seem to deny it.

I’ll move on to my upgrade ideas now, see you guys there

in WvW

Sin.4130

Do you really expect your opponent to sit and wait while you take a nap?

Mr smart guy why World Cup qualification in soccer has different zones then, and why final is playing at host local time not at challenger’s time zones?

Do you think EU soccer teams wouldn’t dominate this kind of qualification? Somehow Africa, USA etc. have their own qualifications

(edited by Sin.4130)

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

It’s not really hard to see why night capping is unfair imo, and yes, penalties are there, but you can still contribute.

I don’t really see why any server should have an adventage, just because they got a guild or two from the US/EU.

People should be rewarded for real efforts, not for taking empty keeps with 5 golems. Don’t you agree?

Day-capping is horribly unfair to people working night shifts. Something must be done to balance day-capping so it’s fair for the night crew!

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

Mr smart guy why World Cup qualification in soccer has different zones then, and why final is playing at host local time not at challenger’s time zones?

Do you think EU soccer teams wouldn’t dominate this kind of qualification? Somehow Africa, USA etc. have their own qualifications

I’m not sure what you’re going on about, but for the soccer player it’s their job to adjust their schedules for the games played in alternate time zones. For people working jobs with actual schedules you most likely don’t have the flexibility to change your hours at will, making this analogy completely irrelevant.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

If you want to compare WvW to soccer:

Current WvW is like captains roll 7 dice (dice are differently good based on amount of money spend to buy them) in the match-break and add that to the goal-score, i.e. matches aren’t decided in play-time but in break-time.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

frans.8092

Game is a past-time, a hobby, for me, and I assume most of us.

World Cup soccer is played by professionals who can be expected to adapt their time-schedules to the local time of the tournament’s host.

I doubt my boss would agree to a change of schedule to accommodate Guildwars Wvw schedules.

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

You will see a good 40-50% of T1 NA players (where NA players aren’t a huge majority) quitting if any kind of punishment on “off-hour PPT restriction” was put in place. If your server suffers from getting night capped, recruit AU/NZ/Chinese/Philipino/Korean/Thai players to your server. The population is there, you just have to attract them to your server.

People will switch to your server if there’s significant enough of your “overnight” population to fight against. More often than not, you’re talking about 5 people with a golem beating down a door, in which case, 2-3 people can defend it. I’m sorry, but that’s not a good enough excuse to put restrictions in place for a PPT restriction.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Sin.4130

What I meant about World Cup in soccer :
- If you chose not your homeland server (or nearest) you should adapt to host conditions.
- there is no globality in soccer , Africa, USA have their own cups

Somehow billions of ppl love this game

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Probably this number would be smaller if every match would run for 10’080 minutes instead of 90

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Sin.4130

This game is for 95% of local population or Just for 5% of non local?

Tell all truly what you think!

in WvW

Posted by: apoel.6754

apoel.6754

I’m sure this is discussed somewhere, but hey, no forum search so:

I know some of you think that Nightcapping is “k”, but deep down in your hearts you know thtait is wrong.

Anet respects people timezones.
I can play OWPVP when I come back from work, why change that ?

Your primetime is nightcapping for someone else.

Also, “nightcapping” teams are not randomly created, some people have worked really hard to balance population in every timezone.
Their reward is total domination.

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

This is an international game and it sucks when someone beats you through PvD, but as fortunes change and populations move around; most of the non-NA teams are migrating to the top tiers.

Without SoS OCX/SEA, you NA lot wouldn’t get much done during NA prime. Or did you forget about us?

Edit to add SEA.

I most certainly was not, but I was trying to have empathy for the folks who are not on a server like ours.

We can also relate when we face groups like TC that have massive daytime numbers when we have few.

in WvW

Posted by: noelclover.9408

noelclover.9408

It’s a 24 hour 7-days a week race. If your server mates don’t pick up the slack, your bound to be left behind in the dust.

It doesn’t end or pause just because you logged out.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink” :)
-John Smith

in WvW

Sin.4130

In football there’s a half time. For simplicity sake, let’s assume that there isn’t a half time; only a small break in which players swap places. So this gives up 90/2 minutes, 45 minutes.

Now, since we’ve divided the time into two and am placing WvW onto football since you love it oh-so-very-much, let’s assume that these equally divided time shifts represent Day and Night. 45 minutes Day, 45 minutes Night.

You forgot about 1 thing and this is what we talk about :
First and second half of soccer matches have same amount of ppl. In GW2 second (night according to you) has near none by one side, this is this problem. GJ! You got it at last!

in WvW

Posted by: Torgrim.3642

Torgrim.3642

It’s a 24 hour 7-days a week race. If your server mates don’t pick up the slack, your bound to be left behind in the dust.

It doesn’t end or pause just because you logged out.

That would be true if the server were region locked.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

In football there’s a half time. For simplicity sake, let’s assume that there isn’t a half time; only a small break in which players swap places. So this gives up 90/2 minutes, 45 minutes.

Now, since we’ve divided the time into two and am placing WvW onto football since you love it oh-so-very-much, let’s assume that these equally divided time shifts represent Day and Night. 45 minutes Day, 45 minutes Night.

First and second half of soccer matches have same amount of ppl. In GW2 second (night according to you) has near none by one side, this is this problem. GJ! You got it at last!

Now we have to wait till you get what other people say, but doubt that will ever happen

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I mean. At a boxing match, would you punch the opponent during the breaks?

There isn’t any break in the game … you and others are simply deciding not to play because it’s convenient for you to do so. If I’m in a boxing match and suddenly my opponent drops his hands because he’s tired and doesn’t want to fight any more I’m going to drop him with a haymaker.

You’re entire position is so egocentric that it boggles the mind.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Cactus.2710

In soccer, one side doesn’t decide on their own to leave the field in the 2nd half. In GW2, nobody is forcing you and your server mates to leave the match … you are doing so of your own free will and then pretending that just because you don’t want to play any more that the people on the other side shouldn’t either.

I’d say “you got it at last!” except we all know that you didn’t … and won’t … ever.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Sin.4130

@Cactus.2710
Lets go to next little step. PPL like all mammals need to sleep is that saying something to you?

in WvW

VOLKON.1290

@Cactus.2710
Lets go to next little step. PPL like all mammals need to sleep is that saying something to you?

We don’t all sleep at the same time.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: Crimedawg.8954

Crimedawg.8954

Wow, still a topic of discussion after all these years?

[Tsym] – Necromancer
Sanctum of Rall
Running 15 in a BL near you

in WvW

Posted by: Dabrixmgp.4758

Dabrixmgp.4758

One great thing about this game is there are other time zones playing. If I cant sleep at night its nice to be able to log in for an hour at like 3-4am and still find some action. If I dont have work its nice to be able to log in at like 9am and still find people running around. In other games if you dont play at prime time either EST for east coast servers or PST for west coast then the game can really suck because there arent very many others on. I work in a hospital and sometimes work from 9pm-12noon the next day or from 9am-midnight. Its nice being able to still find some people when I log on. I remember hating SW:ToR because they refuse to cluster the servers for PvP and queue times were in the hours during the times I could be on.

Also isnt the same thing happening on every server including your own? If every server has different timezones playing then its called balance.

(edited by Dabrixmgp.4758)

in WvW

Posted by: nikitnq.7143

nikitnq.7143

And I suppose SEA and OCX players should play in… uhhh wait.

in WvW

Posted by: nikitnq.7143

nikitnq.7143

Technically it’s night in 50% of the globe at any given time, so how’s that going to work?

And how would the SEA and OCX players be positioned?

How about the Atlantic and Pacific coast? Or UK and Vladivostok?

in WvW

frans.8092

What I meant about World Cup in soccer :
- If you chose not your homeland server (or nearest) you should adapt to host conditions.

Great, so, you’d agree that I should be able to play at 6AM CEST, or even 5AM CEST (4 and 3 AM GST) when I am really early without seeing my efforts trivialized. My brother starts work at 4AM, so he should be able to play according to his schedule, like from 4AM and my niece, who works evenings should be able to play after work, say until 5AM. Other people don’t live according to your schedule and their efforts shouldn’t be trivialized either.

(edited by frans.8092)

in WvW

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

It should have never been based on a timer. This has been talked about at least 1000 times. Points should be awarded on a flip, a kill and an event completion. That’s it. This way fights would actually mean something. Running in zergs would be severally penalized if a few held a t3 keep against them. The PPT counter as it stands is absolutely horrid and there is no fix, but to scrap it entirely.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

(edited by munkiman.3068)

in WvW

frans.8092

Mhh, interesting, but then you can not score points unless somebody else flips an objective – and got points for it as well. Would reward more active servers, but would give little incentive to hold/defend.

in WvW

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Mhh, interesting, but then you can not score points unless somebody else flips an objective – and got points for it as well. Would reward more active servers, but would give little incentive to hold/defend.

Not really, holding against a zerg would actually be encouraged, you’d be earning points just in player kills and denying the enemy the points on the flip. They either move on if they can’t take it (otherwise risk losing more points to player deaths from siege) or figure out a better strategy. Pretty sure you’d see much smaller fights overall and more coverage and defense.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

in WvW

Posted by: Silent.4378

Silent.4378

So as a OCX player im not allowed to play at my primetime cause its unfair you guys are not on? so when you take all the kitten when im not on its fair?…..

in WvW

Posted by: Silent.4378

Silent.4378

I dont get how in this thread we are comparing Boxing and football to a mmo game, For starters they dont even run the same kittening way.

in WvW

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They’ve stated before they won’t limit night capping as this punishes players who don’t play at peak NA hours.

in WvW

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Hello folks,

You are welcome to debate this as you wish. However, leave the insults, name-calling, and other personal attacks out of the discussion.

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

I can’t say I particularly enjoy my server’s position of having an inflated score due to our night coverage. It bumps us up to tiers with opponents that heavily outnumber us during EU/NA. This has scared a lot of guilds away from our server which just makes things MORE difficult for those of us trying to manage massive opposing zergs with small numbers. I don’t imagine our SEA particularly enjoys putting the work into upgrading our stuff, just to lose it to pvd’ers while they sleep.

Remember, it works both ways.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: juicifruitz.6251

juicifruitz.6251

Hello folks,

You are welcome to debate this as you wish. However, leave the insults, name-calling, and other personal attacks out of the discussion.

You are probably better off locking this thread, because it’s started, again, with the mentality, “I AM AMERICAN and no other place in the world should exist”.

The ignorance of the OP and other supportive posters is utterly staggering, but one the rest of the world that DOES exist out side of the " mighty " United States of America are used to by now.

Please tell me those of you that are supportive of the OP, why is your time worth more then those of other time zones out side of the “mighty” United States of America?

(edited by juicifruitz.6251)

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnarawk.8697

Ragnarawk.8697

There always seem to be suggestions as how to weight scores according to population, but I don’t think that will ever happen because it penalizes off-prime time players. The PPT system has to have a big tweak in order for the coverage wars and night capping issues to become diminished. If it hasn’t been said before in one way or another, I would be surprised, but my suggestion is this:

Only Keeps and SMC stay on PPT. Everything else doubles in point value for taking it, but does not tick. PPT values would have to be adjusted and hard capped. My suggestion would be 120 PPT maximum. Only your own Keeps and SMC would actually gain you PPT. Taking an enemy Keep provides a larger value for the cap, and denies PPT to the enemy, as well as limiting movement.

While this doesn’t solve the problem, it does diminish it to a degree. If a night train caps your whole BL, and holds SMC, they gain the points for capping objectives, but only tick 120 PPT more than your team for the duration they are held. If you flip everything back, you just regained the point differential. Of course, everything you just flipped back would be paper, but that’s the breaks.

Thoughts?

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

I’m on a EU server I don’t see any kind of problem if some EU plaers wanna do a all nighter to catch up or just out of a job or whatever thats their choice
The problem I see is when other TZ other than EU login on their primetime our night time and absolut steamroll the borderlands with little resistent then it becomes a problem.

Some of us takes pride in siegeing up towers/keeps/upgrading all that is gone due to 95% of my server are asleep while the brave 5% left can only watch when 40+ zerg takes hills,bay,garri and cant do anything to prevent it.

What servers are these? Only Far Shiverpeaks has organized NA guilds. The rest might have some NA players but no organized NA force. Almost all those people night-capping you are from Europe. The problem lies with your own server not having people willing to play at those times.

in WvW

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

I always thought that the solution should be dynamic and near real time.
In other words, calculate a rolling average daily population.
Calculate number of attackers/defenders on an objective
Calculate number of people total on a map.

Build an equation that rewards high/medium and low DIFFICULTY so taking a tier 3 keep with 5 people while defended by even one might be high difficulty even at oh dark hundred. But taking a camp us defended with no one on the map is low. On the other hand, two chars taken an upgraded camp when there are large numbers on the map has risk.

Tier points according to high, mid and low risk vs the rolling averages.

Note: in theory this also takes into account the value of high intensity days (weekends I guess) vs workdays etc etc.

in WvW

Posted by: noelclover.9408

noelclover.9408

And the issue at the moment is that you simply do not have people at night. Get your players playing. Again, as I said much earlier, what you’re doing is like being a villager who’s village is getting pillaged and you refuse to train your own “night watch”. Train your own night time guys, that way you may have people defending your WvW map when you’re asleep.

In your football analogy, what’s happening is that your team players in the second half are falling asleep or just kitten ing about. You can’t stop the enemy team from going in and scoring.

PS: Also, if this is a solid case then I’d like for ANet to nerf servers like Blackgate. They have too many players in all BLs at all times, both day and night. They can cap towers and stuff when I can’t defend them or when most of my servers WvW population is sleepy! That’s unfair! /sarcasm.

PPS: Your sarcasm made me roll my eyes because the more I read your posts the more I believe that it’s much better for me to leave this thread until you and people like you stop for a moment and start thinking. So this will be my last post here. Good bye.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink” :)
-John Smith

(edited by noelclover.9408)

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

I do dislike it when a topic has a ‘developer reply’ which is just moderating the thread. It draws my attention to the topic in a way almost akin to false advertising haha

That aside, I am in Australia, and play on us servers. My timezone is about 12 hours ahead of most players. I just don’t feel there is any feasible solution anet can implement that doesn’t hurt an area of its playerbase.

It’s selfish to assume the hours invested into the game by Americans are somehow more valuable and worth more points than the hours invested by people in other timezones.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

Cactus.2710

I do dislike it when a topic has a ‘developer reply’ which is just moderating the thread. It draws my attention to the topic in a way almost akin to false advertising haha

That aside, I am in Australia, and play on us servers. My timezone is about 12 hours ahead of most players. I just don’t feel there is any feasible solution anet can implement that doesn’t hurt an area of its playerbase.

It’s selfish to assume the hours invested into the game by Americans are somehow more valuable and worth more points than the hours invested by people in other timezones.

Pretty certain that a large number of us who strongly disagree with the OP are Americans. Most us us (not all, obviously) are smart enough to understand that the world revolves around its axis, not around a couple of the longitude lines.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Sin.4130

Just watch World Recruitment page. Some Server EU write: WE DONT WANT EU PPL ANYMORE!!! We need Australian, NA, etc. to crush our opponent when they asleep

FR have their Canadians what about DE and other national communities who will join them?
-none!

1 other time zone player = 5 EU players. This is unacceptable!

We don’ t want to be treated like this in our homelands. ANet hear that voice.

in WvW

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

The problem is that there isn’t an equal distribution of players in the different timezones, let alone per server.
As far as it goes, off-time players are far more important for the success of a match than the other players.
I would say the problem ultimately lies in how the points are awarded, and different systems should be considered.
Still, those are things that should have been considered during the design phase, not a year after the game is out.

in WvW

Posted by: Belfagor Diabolos.1940

Belfagor Diabolos.1940

I think every one will be happy if from game release we will have a 3 ladders :
Primary – Global one – non IP restricted
Secondary – NA – restricted to players with north or south American IP
Secondary – EU for players with European IP ( then all national servers have more sense )

But now is to late for this … any restriction ( to access one or second ladder ) base on IP address could destroy many guilds, friendships and a lot of servers community’s will suffer …
all so changing PPT system its not the best idea
( I don’t like current system but its just my personal opinion )
If we like or not current system we have to live with this …

But its one thing what I like to change – match-up system make it just simple:
winners go up +1 , loosing server go down -1 …..

Have nice day

Far Shiverpeaks [EU]

(edited by Belfagor Diabolos.1940)

in WvW

Sin.4130

I think every one will be happy if from game release we will have a 3 ladders :
Primary – Global one – non IP restricted
Secondary – NA – restricted to players with north or south American IP
Secondary – EU for players with European IP ( then all national servers have more sense )

But now is to late for this … any restriction ( to access one or second ladder ) base on IP address could destroy many guilds, friendships and a lot of servers community’s will suffer …

PPL in EU change servers all the time. We need to stop transfers from/to other time zones where that kind of guilds/players can benefit night capping due to their prime time is on the night of host server.

I don’t think those guilds are more then 5% of any EU server population, so they can be remaped even now with no big problem.

(edited by Sin.4130)

in WvW

Posted by: Belfagor Diabolos.1940

Belfagor Diabolos.1940

@Sin.4130
U have to understand something:
a lot of servers have good community’s, and in this community’s U have EU, NA and OZ players who are integral part of them , so why after 1,5 year from game release U want to ban this players from playing with friends and to be a part of community’s what they help to build ? Just because they have different IP?

Far Shiverpeaks [EU]

(edited by Belfagor Diabolos.1940)

in WvW

Sin.4130

@Sin.4130
U have to understand something:
a lot of servers have good community’s, and in this community’s U have EU, NA and OZ players who are integral part of them , so why after 1,5 year from game release U want to ban this players from playing with friends and to be a part of community’s what they help to build ? Just because they have different IP?

Just for good and fair play in WvW

BTW
If ANet will ever make Polish server I will be the first who will drop my current wvw community, so don’t worry. National servers are absolutely great idea. I see those matches Poland vs UK, Spanish vs Germany etc. absolutely brilliant. Maybe even devs could manage to do also intercontinental championships.
This would be marketing brilliant I put all my money on that.