PPK -- does it even matter?

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Anyone done an analysis? Is it even possible to determine how many points come from kills? (I believe you can tell how many come from player kills + sentries + yak kills, but what about just player kills alone?)

It’d be nice to see some accurate numbers, but perhaps some analysis can be done by comparing scores from before PPK and now — of course, that might be impossible because removal of white swords also happened.

In any case, despite its popularity, I’d be surprised if (aside from boosting point totals all around) it makes any difference in outcomes at all.

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

well, look at it this way, the PPT tick is every 15mins right, assuming an average tick of 200-300. Imagine how many kills your server can get in that time period, even more for using finishers with bloodlust active. So yea its gotta be pretty big, at least for higher pop servers, its basically designed to reward zerging, while no swords was designed to reward havok/roamers.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

I think one of the best represenations would be if someone calculated the total points across all servers on average before and after the PPK implementation.. sorry im too lazy to do it atm :P

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

in WvW

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

I will say it doesn’t matter at all coverage and numbers still win and ppk has very minor impact.

@XTD I don’t think no swords was designed at all it was just while playing some devs said hey we could have gotten that tower if there was no swords and with a restless and disgruntled www player base they said we could easily remove them and then call it an event.

in WvW

X T D.6458

long as your killing its a boost, if your ticking 250, kill 50 enemy players in those 15 minutes, which is not hard to do, thats an extra 50 points not including bloodlust finisher points. Thats a 20% point boost for that tick, nice boost Id say

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

well, look at it this way, the PPT tick is every 15mins right, assuming an average tick of 200-300. Imagine how many kills your server can get in that time period, even more for using finishers with bloodlust active. So yea its gotta be pretty big, at least for higher pop servers, its basically designed to reward zerging, while no swords was designed to reward havok/roamers.

Are the number of kills during those 15 minutes is significant compared to 200-300? Perhaps 1-2 hours around primetime, but I doubt it (for tiers T3 at lower) outside of that.

In the end, it’s probably still nightcapping and pop imbalance that determines the outcome. PPK’s a nice illusion for players to think they’re making a more personal impact for their server, but in the end, it’s just that, an illusion.

in WvW

X T D.6458

ah you would be surprised by the number of people lower tier servers can field, PPK obviously only helps if your killing enemy players, if there is no competition and no fights yea its not useful. But if theres fights it gives a very nice boost to ppt

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

Are the number of kills during those 15 minutes is significant compared to 200-300? Perhaps 1-2 hours around primetime, but I doubt it (for tiers T3 at lower) outside of that.

In the end, it’s probably still nightcapping and pop imbalance that determines the outcome. PPK’s a nice illusion for players to think they’re making a more personal impact for their server, but in the end, it’s just that, an illusion.

My server typically does terrible right out the gate at reset – but with PPK being a factor we’re able to remain competitive for those first 3 hours of the match until the guild rallies come to a close. (our matches have been COMPLETELY blown out for the last 2 1/2 months) It’s not an illusion when you’re 200 points short of FA when they’re ticking 400 in the first 20 minutes of reset.

in WvW

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

Well yeah where my server is ranked 24th it doesn’t matter I’d be amazed to see 50 people enemies and team mates combined in an hour let alone 15 mins.

in WvW

X T D.6458

it does have its downsides of course.

Promotes more zerging/blobbing, wvw always been a numbers game
Promotes to much sieging/bunkering in towers/keeps
Promotes….ughh open field sige use

Its only temporary and going away with tuesdays update, could very well come back as a perm/temp feature someday, but who knows.

in WvW

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Just for fun I did a comparison!
Looking at the week before PPK was implemented compared to last week.

NA total scores
Before PPK: 5,047,381
With PPK: 5,664,809
Average score increase per server: 25,726
T1 average increase: 51,415
T8 average increase: 9,960

EU total scores
Before PPK: 5,497,832
With PPK: 6,558,142
Average score increase per server: 39,270
T1 average increase: 66,626
T9 average increase: 14,852

It’s official, EU you’re all a bunch of bloodthirsty kittens!

in WvW

Karizee.8076

Taking it a step further, here’s the average score increase for each server by Tier.

NA
T1 – 51,416
T2 – 53,233
T3 – 25,kitten
T4 – 26,176
T5 – 21,027
T6 – 12,492
T7 – 6,050
T8 – 9,960
The winner goes to T2 in NA!

EU
T1 – 66,626
T2 – 60,658
T3 – 44,749
T4 – 51,598
T5 – 37,744
T6 – 35,441
T7 – 23,111
T8 – 18,657
T9 – 14,852

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Anyone done an analysis? Is it even possible to determine how many points come from kills? (I believe you can tell how many come from player kills + sentries + yak kills, but what about just player kills alone?)

It’d be nice to see some accurate numbers, but perhaps some analysis can be done by comparing scores from before PPK and now — of course, that might be impossible because removal of white swords also happened.

In any case, despite its popularity, I’d be surprised if (aside from boosting point totals all around) it makes any difference in outcomes at all.

Even before PPK servers could easily get 20-30% of their points not from tick. So at a guess I’d say that about 10-20% of current scores are PPK.

in WvW

Karizee.8076

Even before PPK servers could easily get 20-30% of their points not from tick. So at a guess I’d say that about 10-20% of current scores are PPK.

Good guess! Looking at the week before PPK compared to last week it’s 16%.
1.7 million player deaths across all tiers last week.

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

My server typically does terrible right out the gate at reset – but with PPK being a factor we’re able to remain competitive for those first 3 hours of the match until the guild rallies come to a close. (our matches have been COMPLETELY blown out for the last 2 1/2 months) It’s not an illusion when you’re 200 points short of FA when they’re ticking 400 in the first 20 minutes of reset.

In the end, it’s still PPT that determines the “winner” of the matchup. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if FA doesn’t end up with far more PPK points than IoJ does simply from their blob running over pugs through the course of a week.

So though PPK may boost people’s sense of contribution to their server, it seems to do absolutely nothing in terms of allowing a smaller server to beat a bigger one.

in WvW

X T D.6458

FA’s matchup this week is not a fair assessment of PPK’s value, its just another unbalanced matchup for t3 because there are 4 t2 servers and one will keep getting bounced to t3 and karma train for the week. For more stablie tiers, you can see the difference.

in WvW

Posted by: testpig.5018

testpig.5018

does PPK actually help zergs?

how are points tallied?

is 1 person only worth 1 point? or is it worth 1 point for everyone that damaged the player?

If PPK is only worth 1 point per person. Then the lower pop can earn more from it then a blob.

in WvW

Karizee.8076

does PPK actually help zergs?

how are points tallied?

is 1 person only worth 1 point? or is it worth 1 point for everyone that damaged the player?

If PPK is only worth 1 point per person. Then the lower pop can earn more from it then a blob.

One death, one point. Here’s the details:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/How-does-PPK-work

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

The score not from tick increased from ~30% to ~50% (highest values)
http://www.gw2score.com/currentscore/total_score/desc
if that matters, I don’t know.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I’m certain Anet has these numbers, but they don’t share this sort of information, ever.

I play a lot of WvW and I have a pretty good idea where RoF can wind up against our regular opponents, but matches have been closer recently and I’m sure this has been a factor.

I would like to keep PPK, but I would like to see more raw numbers on this topic.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

assuming that all 3 servers in the matchup are able to make kills, either at different times or different groups, then the scores would all increase roughly the same. seems like ppk is a non-factor.