Poll: You see a 1v1 fight, what do you do?

in WvW

Posted by: Sedca.3190

Sedca.3190

kitten hmm that’s funny.. w/e

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I always ask “duel?” if the answer is negative I usually help the ally. If it’s a duel I back off.
c) Let enemy player kill allied player.

I am surprised 30% of people responded to the poll that they would gank the duelist. I mean, I don’t mind, because you’ll end up chasing after the duelist OR getting killed by him and his friends anyways.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I always ask “duel?” if the answer is negative I usually help the ally. If it’s a duel I back off.

I am surprised 30% of people responded to the poll that they would gank the duelist. I mean, I don’t mind, because you’ll end up chasing after the duelist OR getting killed by him and his friends anyways.

B, and then C if my server mate doesn’t quit attacking. Then I laugh at the inevitable saltiness because they are kittened that I let them die after they just interrupted my duel.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in WvW

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

C, and enjoy watching it.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

in WvW

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

I used to try and find out if it was a duel and pass on by if it was – however there have been two occasions where the enemy duellist had followed me and ganked me when I was otherwise occupied. Since then I have gone by the principle that if they wanted to keep it private then they should find a more private place to do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Helys Vikonas.9125

Helys Vikonas.9125

I had to look up duel, apparently it’s an archaic form of fighting that ended a week ago.

Duel Noun Prononciation: ?dju??l
From old French: due rit “You didn’t see my crossbow, did you?”, from latin: Deo derisit, “God is laughing”
Ritualistic activity from the Old WvW Era, that has been hypothetized to have links with another badly documented practice known as roaming (cf. Schliemann excavations near the Stonemist See). Archeological evidence suggest that it experienced a steady decline during the late pre-HOT period, before fading away entirely following the WvW server rematch (approx. 6 months post-HOT).
Controversial theories also suggest it may have been linked to a pre-eSports game mode known as PvP (see relevant article) or that it was brought to Earth by Ancien Astronauts.

Joke aside, generally I try to get into the open and see how they react, sometimes I ask if I think there is any chance that they mgiht respond. Except if my ally is in a really bad situation I’ll more often than else walk by and ignore them. Still, sometimes you get into annoying situation in which people “duel” in really unadapted places (between Umberlade and the Blue keep? directly in front of SM’s entrance? Seriously guys?).

in WvW

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

There is such an easy way for all sides that all people should always use to visualyl quickly show the otherside, that you aren’t harmful at the moment towards anyone and that you are in search for someone maybe to duel with you.

USE BALLOON TOYS

While using the baloon toys, your weapon skilsl get all deactiovated, so there can’t happen any kind of sudden attack or something like that , which could get misinterpretated maybe as an attempt to defeat someone.

Example: if everyone would just use the ballon tos in the obsidian refugium, there would be alot lesser stress for everyone, because all could safely do the JP and no one could suddenly hit someone due to weapons getting deactivated.

While the baloon toy is up, everyone around you can clearly see, that you basically are right now in “Amity/Pacifism Mode”

If you want now to duel someone, two Balloon Players of sidderent sides stand in front of each other, remove one after another the ballons, bow, each other and begin the duel, if the duel is over they reuse again the ballon toy to return to amity/Pacifism Mode" or how it could be called also too “White Flag Mode”, if there would be a kind of white flage toy with maybe some nice looking skilsl to move the flag around ands swing it.

Something simle like this could solve all problems for everyone, if just everyone would use this

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in WvW

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

The problem with asking if it’s a duel, which I always do to give a chance to avoid what may follow, is that the players are seldom in a position to answer you.

Therefore, the default value for me is always going to be to help my team by assuming the player need my help unless proven otherwise.

There is also no way I’ll let the enemy kill someone that wants to help me. There are limits to be an kitten. If someone wants to help me it mean I made a poor job of picking a dueling spot/answering the question I was asked about it being a duel/make it obvious enough it was a duel. Those are all responsibilities that rest on the duelers shoulders not those that are wondering if I need help.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I use basic AA in the general direction of the enemy and also heal the ally. This usually gives people time to react and inform me of their intentions. If the enemy is a roamer of any decent caliber this will do very little to them , but if the ally is being ganked then this may drive them off.

What usually happens is that they back off to a distance and I get the note that they’re dueling. They reset and then we all go our separate ways without much drama. I hope anyone that does kind of thing has to accept the fact that they will be interrupted.

I do this because it’s generally not needed to blow all my cooldowns to beat someone in a 2v1 which would just make it more dangerous if there were more enemies. Also as a general note I usually let the ally finish them off in any case so that would probably remove any ambiguity whatsoever.

If either side attempts to stomp, then this duel is over and business resumes with red being dead.

Although since OP stated that no objective is in danger, it is highly unlikely that I would be in this situation at all if they’re dueling in obscure places.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: ibeo.6732

ibeo.6732

If they are in any major traffic areas, I will always attack until called off by my side saying “duel”…if I didn’t and it wasn’t a duel my side could be dead before they had time to answer…so almost always red is dead..until called off…Plus I have also seen enough people who were “dueling and harmless” join in on fights when their zerg approached..but if they are dueling in a good duel spot they are in the open alone and you can view them from distance and ascertain it’s a duel rapidly…then I always jog by.

[AVTR]High Top
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by ibeo.6732)

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

Didn’t they bring back earning points on enemy kills? WvW is war, and I play it as such…every point counts for my side. They gank me, I gank them, there’s no holding back. Duelers often assist with scouting and such for larger zergs, so taking them out helps our side by minimizing as much of the enemy’s intel as possible.

in WvW

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

To be honest it depends on the server.

Most who duel I just ignore or even stop to watch but a couple of servers have players seem to hang around SM and kill dollies/contest SM and gank those who are running by whilst kidding on they are watching.

For those servers I join the choo-choo and stomp and ballista any lone duellers coz you know, kitten them

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

if its at a camp then I but in, if its over a sentry then its down to them. couldnt care if its out side our keep, i will let them 1v1.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in WvW

Posted by: Pikka.6023

Pikka.6023

If players are daft enough to “duel” at SM, run them over and get on with things. SM is a haven for gank squads that sit on the walls and poach passers-by. What looks like a duel rarely actually is, and if you run by, there’s a very good chance you will be targeted with a gank-spike attempt.

Play the game, don’t try to read tea leaves about other players intentions; if they’re not smart enough to use a suitable venue for their desired activity, don’t make that your problem.

in WvW

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

I leave ALL 1v1s alone. If my server mate is getting ganked then it’s there fault they died. I’ll generally make fun of them after getting stomped too

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Sit and watch and wait my turn.

People need to get over their hang up about dying in WVW.

Once over, I’ll rez my teammate. If the other guy attacks while I’m rezzing, I’ll stake him, then continue rezzing.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Kill them or die trying. Easy has that. Non negotiable. It isn’t about being a kittenford but rather a few clear reasons:

1. Obsidian Sanctum was neutered for a reason – that is the place to duel or G v G
2. Red is dead
3. Field of battle – there are no coffee breaks, golden bombs of light and love, etc

It is no different than when the Zergs/Blobs roll over those who scout, solo roam, or HAVOC. It is what it is and the train rolls on.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Posted by: Sadrien.3470

Sadrien.3470

kick their kitten n tell my friend to quit kittening around, we have kitten to cap!

Go back to pve.

Have fun. Be Alive. K Thnx Bye.

in WvW

Posted by: Sadrien.3470

Sadrien.3470

Kill them or die trying. Easy has that. Non negotiable. It isn’t about being a kittenford but rather a few clear reasons:

1. Obsidian Sanctum was neutered for a reason – that is the place to duel or G v G
2. Red is dead
3. Field of battle – there are no coffee breaks, golden bombs of light and love, etc

It is no different than when the Zergs/Blobs roll over those who scout, solo roam, or HAVOC. It is what it is and the train rolls on.

Go back to the silverwastes….

Have fun. Be Alive. K Thnx Bye.

in WvW

Posted by: nsleep.7839

nsleep.7839

@Sadrien

Stop being delusional. If you’re thinking keeps/towers will go down uncontested you’re the one who have been playing too much EotM.

Duels do nothing for the score, they take one slot from people that might’ve been helping and those “duelers” won’t think twice to gank people running back into the fray cutting reinforcements.

If it’s red, it’s dead.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

would only step in to prevent a stomp or if i was specifically asked to by the player. The exception is if they are contesting sm and I’m in CAREALOT MODE. In which case i might jump in and kill the enemy player myself. Usually im not in that mode….definelty hard to get ionto that mode with the present server merges. Duelers are ma family naow.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Twilight Demon.5324

Twilight Demon.5324

i keep seeing all of these posts saying they wont help, let me give you some insight. the “duel” is happening on an open battleground, and your teammate losing that duel affects the points for that week. you joining in on that fight guarantees that your team gets points. there are better (and less populated) places to be hosting you duel. if i see your duel in wvw i run my zerg all over it, end of story. wvw is made for getting points for your team. not dinking around fighting other players.

in WvW

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

I used to let them fight and only do something if enemy tries to stomp my ally. But I get jumped by so called duelists so many times when it is convenient for them, or seen them attacking at the back lines of zerg when zerg ignores them out of respect, so I tend to poke them if I know the guild name. But nowadays I do not want to let duelists go with 30+ queue for Eb. If they want to due?, they should go somewhere else.

in WvW

Posted by: Snowywonders.1378

Snowywonders.1378

Will probably get hate for this but I will not interfere if the fight is in an extremely obscure area like at the very far ends of a map.

If it’s anywhere else , I will kill.

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

i keep seeing all of these posts saying they wont help, let me give you some insight. the “duel” is happening on an open battleground, and your teammate losing that duel affects the points for that week. you joining in on that fight guarantees that your team gets points. there are better (and less populated) places to be hosting you duel. if i see your duel in wvw i run my zerg all over it, end of story. wvw is made for getting points for your team. not dinking around fighting other players.

If I see you running outside your zerg (which I probably never will because most zerglings don’t leave their spawn without a zerg) I will kill and stomp you for points

Also duelers usually do not stomp each other, they let them rez themselves because they actually found a decent fight which is hard to find in this game mode.. So no points are gained or lost when dueling.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Twilight Demon.5324

If I see you running outside your zerg (which I probably never will because most zerglings don’t leave their spawn without a zerg) I will kill and stomp you for points

Also duelers usually do not stomp each other, they let them rez themselves because they actually found a decent fight which is hard to find in this game mode.. So no points are gained or lost when dueling.

or… we could listen to what alain put up. saying that you are taking up a player spot and you arn’t helping the cause, i would rather have a mindless zergy than you standing around watching fights.

in WvW

briggah.7910

or… we could listen to what alain put up. saying that you are taking up a player spot and you arn’t helping the cause, i would rather have a mindless zergy than you standing around watching fights.

hehe

Taking up space? They usually roam after dueling. They usually duel when they find a decent fight. Its not like they duel for hours on end because they can’t since zergs keep rolling over them.

Player Vs Everyone

in WvW

Twilight Demon.5324

hehe

Taking up space? They usually roam after dueling. They usually duel when they find a decent fight. Its not like they duel for hours on end because they can’t since zergs keep rolling over them.

Roaming and dueling are 2 very different things. at least my roamers take camps and towers. duels are just a bunch of guys kittening in a circle for a few hours.

in WvW

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

I play T2 NA. I can’t remember the last time I saw an actual 1 v 1.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

If they bother dolys, siege, other players just passing by, tap stuff, try to finish someone on our team, don’t have someone on our team babysitting them then they’re fair game.

Also, don’t cry if you’re dueling in a busy area and get interrupted. It’s basically like playing in the street. You’ll have to learn to dodge a car or two.

Picking off “zerglings” that are likely not geared or traited for 1v1s isn’t impressive at all.

in WvW

Puck.9612

I found plenty of them last week in EBG. Might have had to do with low pop servers being thrown in the mix.
Funny thing was 1v1’s were non existent on my T3 account, I don’t remember seeing FA run any small groups at all, and I’d watch their blob turn from smaller guild groups to chase down solo roamers.

in WvW

Twilight Demon.5324

If they bother dolys, siege, other players just passing by, tap stuff, try to finish someone on our team, don’t have someone on our team babysitting them then they’re fair game.

Also, don’t cry if you’re dueling in a busy area and get interrupted. It’s basically like playing in the street. You’ll have to learn to dodge a car or two.

Picking off “zerglings” that are likely not geared or traited for 1v1s isn’t impressive at all.

i like this guy

in WvW

briggah.7910

picking off duelers isn’t impressive at all either :P

Player Vs Everyone

in WvW

Twilight Demon.5324

why not go to obsidian sanctum or your guilds PVP arena? then you don’t have to worry about the random interferance

in WvW

briggah.7910

why not go to obsidian sanctum or your guilds PVP arena? then you don’t have to worry about the random interferance

I’m not a dueler but like I said somewhere else I respect players fighting 1vs1 because it rarely happens and most people just want a good fight.

This topic has came up in the past many times and both times I’ve said red is dead and respecting 1vs1 is fine.. it is wvw

either way I respect people that can take me 1vs1 before I ever give respect to players that jump me.

Player Vs Everyone

in WvW

Posted by: clone wars.9568

clone wars.9568

Overall It’s hard to say one option, It depends where they’re fighting, who is fighting, if its an offical duel or not and what else is going on in the map at the time.

If I think its a offical duel i will normally walk passed or stand and watch and stop any attempt to stomp if my ally is downed. But if i dislike the ally then i would leave or watch and let them die if they lost. If the person they were fighting was on my “hitlist” from a certain guild then I may likely just join the fight or gank them solo, since they would likely do the same to me.

Otherwise I’d not get involved and let the duel play out as long as its a fair fight. That said many people would jump into the fight many just dont know about the “dueling spots” and always think its okay to jump in to “help”. We even have a high number of people that will gank afkers in this game still and who have little respect for the unwritten rules of playing fair.

(edited by clone wars.9568)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

hehe

Roaming and dueling are 2 very different things. at least my roamers take camps and towers. duels are just a bunch of guys kittening in a circle for a few hours.

Hate to break it to you. Most duellers are roamers, but not many roamers are duellers.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Go back to the silverwastes….

Can you give me directions? Please respond.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Sungtaro.6493

I found plenty of them last week in EBG. Might have had to do with low pop servers being thrown in the mix.
Funny thing was 1v1’s were non existent on my T3 account, I don’t remember seeing FA run any small groups at all, and I’d watch their blob turn from smaller guild groups to chase down solo roamers.

Late NA to clarify. Queues are massive for EB. I like the borderlands well enough and burned out majorly on EB during my brief T5 stint.

in WvW

Puck.9612

Late NA to clarify. Queues are massive for EB. I like the borderlands well enough and burned out majorly on EB during my brief T5 stint.

Yeah you won’t find many on the bl until the alpine returns. That map is made for zergs. I’m not an EBG fan either but you are ten times as likely to find 1v1’s and small group fights there, even when it’s queued.

in WvW

Sungtaro.6493

Yeah you won’t find many on the bl until the alpine returns. That map is made for zergs. I’m not an EBG fan either but you are ten times as likely to find 1v1’s and small group fights there, even when it’s queued.

As far as small groups, been the opposite in my experience. That is mostly a factor of timezone. The number of drivers drop off a lot when I play. So, EB tends to consolidate and usually I just see an omniblob there. I suppose it would be better if I tried to get in earlier.

There is usually 4 to 8 man groups trying to cap stuff or the “zerg” is usually 10 to 15 on the borderlands. It is not remotely constant action to be honest.

The alpine will probably improve the number of smallish encounters. I hope so.

Hopefully, I won’t be constantly be trebbed and mortared when fighting around a camp which used to happen a lot on the alpine borderlands.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Agreed. They don’t even really count as a speed bump. Usually drop spikes or something stupid like that too. Not even a bag.

To be clear, I have nothing against duelers. Just don’t think the crying is necessary.

in WvW

Posted by: benny.1796

benny.1796

Depends on which enemy server my mate is fighting, my mood, and my bloodlust stacks

in WvW

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

Generally I’ll hit the enemy untill he goes down or my ally asks (or even tells) me to stop (without abusing me, obviously). Downed enemies I’ll leave for my ally to kill unless my ally is badly injured (again there’s probably plenty of time to send “stop”).

Although if I’m in a hurry I might just pass them by.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

I tell my folks to leave duelers alone. We just move past them.

Start ganking my tail, however, and all bets are off.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

You see a friendly player engaged in single combat against an enemy player at the side of Stonemist castle. What do you do?

I need so much more info……

Am I in an Omega?
Do we own SM?
Does SM have supply in it?
If we own SM are there cannons already built?
What World is the enemy from?
Are we winning the match?
Is the enemy dueler from a troll’ish guild?
Is the enemy dueler a known PITA?
Is the enemy player running a troll’ish build or simply an Engi, Mesmer, or Druid?
Am I in a kitteny mood?

Just so many things alter my reaction to seeing Red labels….
I’d say there’s a good probability that said enemy player is about to need to respawn.

:)

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: rar.1872

rar.1872

The other day I was on a borderland at the West “Fire Keep” south gate. right outside was 2 people Fighting-Dueling (1 Ally and 1 Opponent). I attacked. Then I was severally reprimanded by my ally that they were dueling, too which I retorted he has a whole desert up top at their disposal to duel in and to go there and not in front of the doors which caused the keep to be contested by the errant projectiles from the opponent. That said it is about the location you pick to duel in on whether or not the duel will be interrupted by another player. PICK WISELY AND PLAYERS WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE… PICK POORLY AND EXPECT OTHERS TO CRASH YOUR PARTY.

FOW (Footsteps Of War) – [Yaks Bend]
VCS (Vertically Challenged Society) – [Yaks Bend]

(edited by rar.1872)

in WvW

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i try to figure out if its a duel or not by asking if it not ill attack but if it a duel ill leave em alone. i find dueling usually has a small group around them watching so i just leave them alone

in WvW

Posted by: drcraig.9403

drcraig.9403

If it’s red, it’s dead.

Pls go back to pve.

How am I ever going to “get good” at pvp if I do that. I’ll play whatever game mode I choose and hopefully disrupt as many duels as possible along the way.

in WvW

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

If it’s red, it’s dead.

Pls go back to pve.

How am I ever going to “get good” at pvp if I do that. I’ll play whatever game mode I choose and hopefully disrupt as many duels as possible along the way.

Rally the centaurs, ready the charr, i shall call a huntingparty to hunt you down good Sir or Madame!