Population of Edge of the Mist

in WvW

Posted by: Vi Au.8341

Vi Au.8341

Q:

I would like to ask Anet a few questions concerning the population of this new map.
* I understand it is an overflow but are these overflow only populated with the 3 servers facing each other? Or is there a chance of us encountering and fighting other players from all 24 servers.
* What is the population cap to these maps?

side note: I would much rather see this map being an open brawl type map where there are NO Gates or siege weapon. nearly all servers except for the top 4 on NA will have atleast 1 map that has no queue or very little population. If they want to take down gates and capture a keep/tower/camp, they can always hop to those maps.

What you could add are open objectives where people run around and capture objective without having to deal with gates.

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

A:

We don’t discuss population numbers as company policy. The first question is something we are going to be deciding based on the testing we will be doing. It is our initial design that the map is restricted to worlds from the same matchups, but we will evaluate that as we progress through the testing process to determine if that is the best version.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Oh please let it be from all 24 servers! That would be so awesome.

in WvW

Posted by: Mindtrick.5190

Mindtrick.5190

All 24.

Got Ninja?
https://www.twitch.tv/mindtrick714
<3 and Hugs no Hate I Just Point Out Fail.

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Just go ahead and make it all 24 so it can be sorta like the old days

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Well if it isn’t all 24 servers it might lead some serious server stacking.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Vi Au.8341

Vi Au.8341

We don’t discuss population numbers as company policy. The first question is something we are going to be deciding based on the testing we will be doing. It is our initial design that the map is restricted to worlds from the same matchups, but we will evaluate that as we progress through the testing process to determine if that is the best version.

Can you say if it going to bigger or smaller than the current wvw map?

in WvW

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

I believe OP is asking map size for this game mode (edge); not server population size, which I can understand why you would not want to share this information. Do you really mean ArenaNet’s policy is not to disclose specific maps intended participants cap? Seems like this should be discussed given it’s impact on the balance of the game play and in particular to Edge of the Mists.

in WvW

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Just make it a free-for-all battle royale, where everyone is marked as an enemy invader, even those from your own server.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in WvW

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

I hope they mix and match players from every server. Otherwise what’s the point of overflow when one server has hundreds more people waiting for opponents across different overflows, and other servers can’t get enough to populate one overflow.

Also there are friends on other servers I’d like to play large scale pvp with. The PPT driven “Server Pride” crowd has their exclusive WvW format already.

in WvW

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

make it all servers with 3 teams, people joining get put on the team with the lowest amount of people, being in a party or a guild prioritizes which team you will join when entering the map, and then make it a ridiculously big battlefield

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in WvW

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

It would be cool to be able to go there to do duels and stuff with people from servers you’re not matched up against. Maybe have it so you can go to one version specific to your matchup, and one version that works like a normal overflow, where everyone can join?

in WvW

Posted by: Krypto.2069

Krypto.2069

If Anet makes it all 24 servers, to heck with WvW! I want to goto the Edge of the Mists!… where it’s nothing but a 24/7 BLOOD BATH! xD

I want it so bad, I’m like Explorer Martin in that conversation between the Vigil Crusader and Explorer Maarten at Caer Shadowfain WP in Orr…

Vigil Crusader: "This is going to be the ugliest, bloodiest battle of our lives. "

Explorer Maarten: “Well…what are we waiting for?!?”

Anet, Please… Please….. PLEASE!!! make it all 24 SERVERS! xD

Moonlight [THRU]

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

o-O I want all 24 servers too. Wtf.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Nope it can’t be 24 coz it would be to much fun. Then no one would give a kitten about getting into wvw and would just stay in EotM all the time.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Just make it a free-for-all battle royale, where everyone is marked as an enemy invader, even those from your own server.

That would be cool anyone not in your party is red. So you could party with anyone and they would be an ally

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Ciuffo.6384

Ciuffo.6384

SUGGESTION FOR THIS MAP:
From what I’ve read groups may join the map but not guilds.
why don’t enhance for once the Commander role beyond the simple blu dot and two commands and allow all player in the commander squad to join the same server of the commander or, even better, commander may queue for all the squad in the same map?

I believe this improvement will be a wonderful user experience for all organized www players.

Ciuffo
GM and Commander of Leoni Bianchi [Lion]
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

If its all 24 servers, i guarantee you will make the community very happy. But you may also take away some of the roamers from the low pop maps. On a pro vs con , it would seem the 24 server world would be better.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Convenant.7092

Convenant.7092

All 24! 15 char.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

OK, Devon. Please take note here. Just about everyone who has posted in this thread would LOVE to see Edge of the Mist open to all servers in the region (24 in the case of NA). Nobody cares whether they are aligned with their own server or not … they just want to fight against comparable numbers.

Now let’s mentally migrate over to the “collaborative” thread on WvW population balance and consider whether maintaining server identity during WvW matches is really worth all the imbalance it causes. Wouldn’t it make far more sense to fix the population imbalance in WvW by transitioning to instanced matches with controlled populations?? The root of almost every balance issue in WvW (overall population imbalance, off-hour coverage disparity) lies in the laudable but failed server-vs-server-vs-server format. It’s time to abandon it and replace it with a better system.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

All 24 servers please. It would be so awesome to encounter other great players from the other servers.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Just for interests sake, a reddit user stitched together the maps from the developer stream. It looks like an interesting place to fight, with a LOT of bottlenecks.

http://i.imgur.com/UqrwUkI.jpg

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

There’s no sense in which you could have organised battles with all 24 servers. It would just become a continuing free-for-all: A large scale version of the 3-way fights we sometimes get in SM or the keeps.

I can see that might be attractive to the anarchic members of the community but anyone who wanted to organise any sort of battle-plan would be wasting their time.
Add in the fact that this mode has no influence on PPT and you’ve essentially got an entirely separate form of battleground that has nothing to do with WvW. No connection at all.

I doubt that I will find it interesting. If it takes population pressure off the existing maps though, I’m all for it.

in WvW

Posted by: Miraluna.3627

Miraluna.3627

What about using colors instead of servers to fill out the maps? If we are back to the randomized colors each week we had before leagues, then all the red servers could be allied in Edge of the Mists for that week, all the blue allied, and all the green allied. That would keep server communities together but help with population coverage.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

If its all 24 servers, i guarantee you will make the community very happy. But you may also take away some of the roamers from the low pop maps. On a pro vs con , it would seem the 24 server world would be better.

I don’t think I’d go back to Blob-land. xD

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

If it is not all servers it will just become a lopsided matchup that mirrors the current match that people are in. Spreading it out for all the servers means that it will have a chance to balance out.

Here is hoping ANET listens in this regard, the first version was matchup only

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

i hope the teams will be mixed
btw i hope they will also balance the wvw map population. its annoying when you see a 100 men zerg against you 40 men when your border is full

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

What about using colors instead of servers to fill out the maps? If we are back to the randomized colors each week we had before leagues, then all the red servers could be allied in Edge of the Mists for that week, all the blue allied, and all the green allied. That would keep server communities together but help with population coverage.

Sounds fun to me #teamblue

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

Pretty sure if it is all 24 servers it would have to be that way. Green teams in overflow get the jungle spawn, Blue teams get ice and Red comes in on the desert side. I know the devs said it was currently set up to only have overflows from your own server on it but I am fairly confident that play-testing will show that is not sustainable for lower population worlds who are already having a bear of a time getting coverage in WvW. At least this is something they are willing to be flexible with.

On the EotM overflow map populations caps maybe Devon can simply state whether they plan for it each instance of the map to hold fewer players than a Borderland Map, about the same # as a Borderland Map, about the same as EB or more players than EB and we can take it from there. Just a sense about the expected population size would be very helpful but since we will be in play-testing soon I guess we will have to wait and see.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .