RIP power builds in roaming

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Why would they do that? It’s not like the crit damage got outright removed from the item.
Back then with MF gear, the problem was that they couldn’t just slap on a rangom stat or leave the gear at 2 stats, so they had to offer the stat change. MF gear was used for a very specific purpose around that time and it could no longer be used for that purpose. This time, however, things are different. Crit damage is not removed, it gets rebalanced… And the gear still serves the exact same purpose(dealing damage) as before.

It’s because most dps classes have access to effective crit/crit% builds or condition builds, unfortunately they require you to complete change all your armor to go either way. A lot of people who chose to go the crit/crit%(damage will be reduced by 10%) build with ascended items might want to switch now that condition builds are looking better with every change. Is it really fair to hang those people out to dry after they worked on getting ascended with the stats just to their liking for their build, then turn around and get an important stat changed?

I wouldn’t give two kittens if it was exotics we’re talking about here, because those are easy to come by in multiple ways. BTW I don’t and won’t be getting ascended items other than laurels(holding off on that too), thankfully stupid changes like this reinforce that decision. Why do they have to make switching builds so difficult, so much easier in WoW to play different builds.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

PvP in GW1 became all about degen builds and hexes for the final years of the game. Is it really any surprise that the lazy balance philosophy is being carried over to this iteration?

Everything is going to be conditions and removing conditions now. All hail the necro/Guardian/Warrior era (for those of you who aren’t already there).

Guardians has no viable condition builds. This patch will break the meditation dps guardian builds, meaning that Guardians no longer will be viable as a WvW roaming class. We have no acces to venom or bleedings, and fire is used only as support to enhance the phsysical damage. Bunker Guardians are useless for roaming due they can be poked to death at range.

I also refuse to play Guardian bunkers in sPvP due they are overall boring to play and doesn’t get as much rewards as offensive builds.

I think that the patch will push me very near the limit of leaving the game; I’m already tired about to grind for new gear with every new change; for sure some of my set-ups will be useless after this. Happy that I didn’t made a single ascendant armor piece…

in WvW

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

fineshed the complete set of celestial armor for my warrior last week, thnks ANET.
This is the first time since beta where i consider to quit my last MMO ever.

in WvW

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

I think the main issue here is that they nerfed something that did not need to be touched in WvW for the sake of PvE. I can understand that but without compensation for the gear which is a lot harder to grind out in WvW that PvE with fractals it is pretty much a slap in the face to roamers in power builds. We do not need to exaggerate roaming meta has been pushing toward condi builds if your class can run them for a while not. With the exception of some mesmer builds builds and stealth thief builds zerker gear has become less and less practical to use while roaming. The damge reduction to both hybrid and power/crit based builds is just and effective buff to condi builds. We have not heard word from Anet over giving us the option to re stat our ascended gear and given the time it takes to get it.

Truth is this is just part of the lack of giving 2 kittens about WvW when considering balance. They could have reworked the way mobs take a critical hit or even taken them time to not have the changes effect WvW. They mentioned that it would effect WvW and didn’t say kitten past that. It isn’t the stat change that kittenes me off the most but the complete ignorance of WvW issues in general. We invest quite a bit to do this. It is not Spvp so many of us have dropped real cash into this it is stupid. I have no clue what Anet is thinking but I do hope they consider reevaluating not so much the change but where they place zerker and crit damage in WvW. If they are willing to make major changes to PvE make other builds more viable they can make some major changes to WvW to give zerker a proper spot.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

Null hypothesis. This is going to flop.
Alternative. It will be as close to the way things are if not better.
Experiment. Will judge and find out when the patch arrives.

Result? TBA – to be announced.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Maybe they do care about WvW balance, and they thought that Zerker set-ups were exploding targets too quickly and making it less fun than it could be. Has that been thought of? Or are people blinded by their own Zerker gear and desire to backstab for 10k? Or Killshot for 15k? Or Churning Earth everyone for 12-15k?

Condi builds bring the tools they need to try to counter the insanely high burst that power builds bring. Why don’t power builds bring the tools they need to counter the condi builds? Are high crits really the only tool in your aresenal?

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Over reacting much?

Wait and see how it’s gonna turn out.

i will tell you how much overreacting is there:
when ascended came out i changed my entire set up to get 15% more crit dmg, which involved full ascended set + new trinkets… do a little bit math and take a guess how much it cost me

this change not gonna do anything in pve, people will still run zerker; people like me will have to remake entire sets for wvw because of that change which is easily 300g at least

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in WvW

Posted by: Sunreva.8714

Sunreva.8714

This was a needed change in WvW, as everyone plays a berserker build. Maybe now there will be some diversity on the battlefield and we will see some more condition builds.

Condition builds are underrepresented in WvW, we need more of them.

More.

in WvW

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

This was a needed change in WvW, as everyone plays a berserker build. Maybe now there will be some diversity on the battlefield and we will see some more condition builds.

Condition builds are underrepresented in WvW, we need more of them.

More.

sarcasm isnt that great in forums, doesnt work that good.

in WvW

Cogbyrn.7283

Over reacting much?

when ascended came out i changed my entire set up to get 15% more crit dmg, which involved full ascended set + new trinkets… do a little bit math and take a guess how much it cost me

this change not gonna do anything in pve, people will still run zerker; people like me will have to remake entire sets for wvw because of that change which is easily 300g at least

You can’t outplay a 10% damage reduction? Out of curiosity, why not?

in WvW

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

If it’s really only a 10% nerf then there should be no problem at all.

in WvW

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Over reacting much?

Everything in an MMO is subject to change. Today you’re a god, tomowrrow you are a mere mortal.

Also power builds will still be very viable after the update. It’s not like they are going to reduce crit dmg by 70%…

in WvW

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I think that everyone is over reacting and that we should all wait for the patch to go live and see before jumping to cnclusions. I am sure that with the new runes and changes to sigil ICDs there will be a way for power builds to be more than just viable in WvW.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in WvW

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

PvT ALL THE WAY!

in WvW

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Everyone is saying “It’s just 10% so it doesn’t matter lol!”

That is not the only problem here. In fact, that’s not the main problem here. It’s the fact that ferocity is now a stat instead of a flat number that doesn’t get rounded. Have you ever fought some guy and noticed that he’s really tanky while dealing good damage? That’s because he’s maximised the crit slots to squeeze as much damage out of a tanky build as possible. This is no longer possible if Ferocity becomes a stat, meaning there’s no way to compete with tanky condi builds who can just slap on dire, settlers or rabid and be extremely tanky while kittenting out condis on everyone with solid damage. It’s ALREADY extremely difficult to compete with condi builds (I run one) as a power build if you’re not zerging because of the tankyness:damage output ratio of power:condi builds.

Good thing is that you don’t have to roam. Try take some keeps or go play sPvP.

Guess we should all just give in, ball up and form one great big boring spammy zerg, eh?

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Stop being such a drama queen.
Zerk is still king.
Get over the nerf and game on.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Writetyper.1985

Stop being such a drama queen.
Zerk is still king.
Get over the nerf and game on.

Zerk is barely king at the moment though, if at all? Have you tried leaving the zerg recently? P/d thieves, PU mesmers and engis abound. I even saw a kittening condi ele recently, no joke.

really bad engineer

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

Recently had a long battle with a zerk thief (~10min?) with my zerk necro.
I think we will be seeing more condis users sure. I like the nerf. It means the game will be harder and I will have to try harder to win. More rewarding for me.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

I see more and more
-condi engis (remember the times with zerker engis?)
-condi eles (yes, no joke indeed. Heard an entire discussion about them)
-condi warriors (wut master of arms going condis???)
-condi thiefs (makes no sense at all)
-condi necros (haven’t seen a power build in a long time)
-condi rangers (the power ones die in seconds anyway)
-condi mesmers (shatterer required to much skill for most so people changed to condibunker)
-Haven’t seen a roaming guardian in a long time

So yea, everything is shifting to condis and that is the clever option aswel to win small scale combat. Apply endless chill, immobilize and melt them with condi dmg.

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

in WvW

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

This really doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me.

That’s most likely because you’re a rational human being.

Why I check these forums in my spare time continues to allude me. +1 for no big deal.

You people are my new favorite people. +1!

in WvW

Posted by: Sin.4130

Sin.4130

ANet says – critical damage is fine in spvp, so why it isn’t fine in WvW, do we all have to blob not chose small scale fights?

in WvW

Cogbyrn.7283

ANet says – critical damage is fine in spvp, so why it isn’t fine in WvW, do we all have to blob not chose small scale fights?

Because critical damage in sPvP gets up to 60% with 10% from Divinity runes, 30% crit damage from traits, and 15%/5% from the amulet/gem. In WvW, I have 102% crit damage right now.

For all intents and purposes, WvW and sPvP are completely different games.

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

I see more and more
-condi engis (remember the times with zerker engis?)
-condi eles (yes, no joke indeed. Heard an entire discussion about them)
-condi warriors (wut master of arms going condis???)
-condi necros (haven’t seen a power build in a long time)
-condi rangers (the power ones die in seconds anyway)
-condi mesmers (shatterer required to much skill for most so people changed to condibunker)
-Haven’t seen a roaming guardian in a long time

So yea, everything is shifting to condis and that is the clever option aswel to win small scale combat. Apply endless chill, immobilize and melt them with condi dmg.

Completely agree with this.
The only exception are condi necros (which will be used only in small group fights) and condi warriors (haven’t seen one in a looong time while roaming).
Condi thieves will skyrocket as they are already a hard counter to most condi builds.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in WvW

Posted by: melodey.4652

melodey.4652

The roaming meta is already tanky condi-builds. This just pushes it more towards that way. Hopefully, they will nerf some of the condi-spam output somehow too.

All signs point to “no.”

Yak Slappin’ Bunker- roamin n stuffs [PD] [Duck]
all classes 80, who is the cheesiest of them all?
gw2 dress-up barbie is the real endgame

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Condi thief have been pop like year.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

in WvW

Posted by: Ulmir.5094

Ulmir.5094

Wait…people used zerkers in WvW? Did they WANT to contribute nothing and be the weakest link?

Hi!

People do. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage

in WvW

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

Brb, leveling my condi engineer.

You and everyone else.

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Wait…people used zerkers in WvW? Did they WANT to contribute nothing and be the weakest link?

Nah, zerker builds were by far the most effective on the right classes in the hands of the right players in WvW. I had no real problems killing most people that ran condition/tanky/hybrid builds. The only class I had problems with were certain thieves and elementalists.

On another note, Berserker or glass cannon builds are basically your wild card build. You either wipe your target or targets out quickly, or die quickly. It didn’t matter what build people were running. If the way of the glass cannon is reduced, it will severely hamper any diversity currently present in WvW. Right now the meta is condition and tank (even though I don’t agree with it).

You have to admit, if WvW is full (100v100v100) and everyone ran the same builds, it’s pretty kitten boring. Anet really needs to re-consider their position on it.

They also need to consider what classes benefited most from a glass build because this will in fact hurt certain classes far more than others.

in WvW

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I run a thief in Valk gear with Zerker weapons/trinkets. As a roamer, this is the best option available, particularly since I get 100% crits on stealth attacks through traits.

As you may see, this is about roamers, not people in zergs and just because a roamer is using berserker gear doesn’t mean it’s all berserker gear with no defense.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Times like this I’m glad I run hybrids…

Anyway, the thing with power builds in WvW is that it depends on both the philosophy and the circumstances. For zergs, many people way to run with PVT gear as to avoid being killed or downed by stray enemy fire. This is a defensive philosophy, and it often overlooks the flaws that come with it: in PVT, your stray fire does less damage and is less likely to down someone. A defeated player works as a rez for your own team, so the quicker you can defeat a player, the more quickly you can rez your own team, and the more overall health that gives the zerg.

I personally follow the offensive philosophy: If you get immobilized and run over by a melee train, or if you get focus fired by a small group, you are going to die really quickly no matter what gear you are wearing. By contrast, by having high damage you have a high deterrence rate for being attacked, and make a larger immediate impact on the field. You become less influenced by retaliation and confusion, since you perform more efficient attacks. Hopefully, you’ll be engaging enemies in a position of power (in the train, on the wall, at superior range, etc), where defense is handled by superior positioning and tactics instead of passives.

The problem being that, since I am much squishier, should I find myself in a compromising position, I’m more likely to go down due to ambient damage. Unfortunately it is a tradeoff that works best when assuming Fabian tactics, and always trying to engage at a point of power.

True. I’ve noticed it a lot. Blobs don’t care about how much armour you have… they cleave through it with 30-40 people auto-attacking. The only thing blobs care about is not dying. So if you manage to hit them hard with AoE, they break. The best defense for a small scale roamer at the moment is through high offense and high mobility.

ANET: we need the aoe cap removed.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Poison is an assassins weapon, and bleed fits neatly next to it, after-all a cut-throat is a murderer or assassin.

in WvW

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Yes, because blobing is “epic”- thats official. Bloblings qq about roamers when they get repeatedly sniped and cant reach their blobs and anet will do everything in their power to help poor bloblings and rip those evil roamers out of www.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I thought only full zerker was going to be nerfed, not the occasional zerker trinkets.

in WvW

Writetyper.1985

I thought only full zerker was going to be nerfed, not the occasional zerker trinkets.

You thought wrong. All gear which has “Critical Damage” on it is having that critical damage replaced with a stat called “Ferocity” – IE a piece of celestial gear with 40 of every stat and 2% critical damage will now have 40 ferocity instead of critical damage.

Ferocity is then used to calculate your ACTUAL critical damage at a slightly reduced rate (People keep throwing around 10% but I don’t know where they got that, I don’t recall it being mentioned on the stream).

This is just as big an issue as the reduction in damage, as min maxing with celestial and rounded critical is often used to maintain high damage while increasing survivability.

Condi builds, who (I should know, I play one) increase survivability simply by using gear such as dire rabid and settlers also get a 50% increase in condition duration from consumables compared to spvp (which the combat in this game is balanced around), which can be incredibly strong and overwhelming.

really bad engineer

in WvW

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

…People keep throwing around 10% but I don’t know where they got that, I don’t recall it being mentioned on the stream…

They said the numbers weren’t carved in stone yet but the actual number mentioned was 10% for a build maxed out for DPS.

in WvW

aspirine.6852

If its 10% less damage from someone who is 100% zerker I dont see the big deal. It will still be dps max.

in WvW

Posted by: Sin.4130

Sin.4130

If its 10% less damage from someone who is 100% zerker I dont see the big deal. It will still be dps max.

But bunker builds will be at same -strong already – point so this is big nerf for zerk builds.

in WvW

Posted by: Frigid.6027

Frigid.6027

powerbuilds haven’t been the meta for a long time now. dire + perplexity has changed that for most classes.

Bounce – [xoxo] Zerg Me Like You Love Me [oPP] Over Powered People

in WvW

aspirine.6852

I am just surprised they still not seeing that wvw is not the same as pve. Full zerker in pve who really cares, and if you are running full zerker in wvw you are either very brave and/or very good. Perfectly fine with that.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Brb, leveling my condi engineer.

Bunker engis and warriors will be even more powerfull in WvW if they only rework the critical damage.

powerbuilds haven’t been the meta for a long time now. dire + perplexity has changed that for most classes.

Thats the problem with this game, theres always one build that is super efective against all,theres no balance. and every player goes for the same build.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Writetyper.1985

They’ve been introducing things which make condi builds even better than they are for a long time now – sigil of bursting, dire, toxic crystals. I think they WANT eveyrone to use condi builds.

really bad engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I feel like this is offset by people using full ascended gear and consumables. I plan to still roam in zerkers and see how that works. I think it will probably be unnoticeable.

It wasn’t that long ago roamers didn’t even have access to ascended amulets. And at least 50% or more of people don’t even use food today.

in WvW

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

Cash grab from Anet. Expect more in the future. Not making enough money from GEMS? – Lets change a major stat in the game..

in WvW

Fluffball.8307

Cash grab from Anet. Expect more in the future. Not making enough money from GEMS? – Lets change a major stat in the game..

Ya it wasn’t driven by countless scores of pages of player complaints about berserker’s gear at all.

in WvW

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

Ya it wasn’t driven by countless scores of pages of player complaints about berserker’s gear at all.

Umm point me to a change where Anet does ANYTHING BASED ON PLAYER FEEDBACK.

in WvW

Fluffball.8307

Reducing berserker strength because of community outrage springs to mind.

Also almost 100% of sPvP changes. I personally thinks it’s both refreshing and weird how much ANet actually listens to the PvP community.

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

Yes, because blobing is “epic”- thats official. Bloblings qq about roamers when they get repeatedly sniped and cant reach their blobs and anet will do everything in their power to help poor bloblings and rip those evil roamers out of www.

You mean 5 “roamers” versus 1 “blobling”?
I never get annoyed if it really is a 1v1 when I’m running back to my guild group of ~25, but its usually 3-10 v me. Its really boring and pathetic.

in WvW

Fluffball.8307

You mean 5 “roamers” versus 1 “blobling”?
I never get annoyed if it really is a 1v1 when I’m running back to my guild group of ~25, but its usually 3-10 v me. Its really boring and pathetic.

Now that I know you don’t like it, next time I’ll let you get back to taking my garrison unhindered. You should have said something earlier.

in WvW

Cogbyrn.7283

Umm point me to a change where Anet does ANYTHING BASED ON PLAYER FEEDBACK.

The CDI thread demonstrates ANet’s desire to incorporate player feedback. In fact, it does so to such a degree that someone on some thread complained that they’re using the community to do their jobs for them for free, and that they don’t have any of their own ideas.

Just because they don’t do what you want doesn’t mean they don’t listen at all. Maybe it just means your idea is slated for further down the pipeline, or your idea is bad.

in WvW

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

From what I gather, they will be nomalizing the crit damage between the armor and trinkets. Right now you get more crit damage out of trinkets than the armor. If ferocity is suppose to even this out, crit damage trinkets will taking a bigger hit than crit damage armor. Builds with mixed there gear (knights/PVT) with zerker trinkets to make up for the lack of crit damage will be getting more than a 10% damage nerf.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”