Rally mechanic

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

Q:

ANET did something interesting in living story/world at some point. They gave some mobs a downed state. How easy is it for them to add/remove it?

s/tPvP – Very interesting and useful mechanic that can drastically change the outcome on a hevily contested point (entertaining)
PVE – Can be useful

WvW – It just promotes brainless zerging and takes away from a smart small-sized group’s ability to do some zerg-busting.
For so long i’ve been in a hardcore wvw guild and defended that there is way more to wvw than just “staff 1” & brainless zerging. I can’t say the same today, wvw just feels stale, most of the highly skilled players got tired of the same numbers game every night and moved on to other games.Hell, at some point it became a trend for guild groups to go tagless because they didnt want that 1 pug that would rally the enemy zerg.

The rally mechanic has been bad for WvW whether you are a guild group expecting to get out there and wreck the enemy or if you are a “pug” just looking for a group to follow and discover/enjoy the game mode.

If it’s not too hard to implement, i’d be one of the first in line to beta test it and see first hand the impact it would have.

What do the rest of you think about that?

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Rally Mechanic is like you surmised one of the main factors that stop smaller group play. Downstate in general is the main issue. I know guilds that are good enough to go 8v20, however (even factoring out Warbanners) the ability for larger groups to power rez (down not ded-ded)will almost always tilt the fight into the favor of the larger group.

There are obviously some exceptions (IE: a really poor larger group) but in all honesty this game would be much more exciting/rewarding for smaller groups if the rally mechanic did not reward the zergs as much. Rewarding smaller group play is a way to break up the zergs, and a way to inject some new life in a stale game.

Mag Server Leader

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

They’d probably get rid of the stomps for points mechanic if they did this, which makes me think they’ll never take away down state in WvW. That said, I do feel like down state hurts the game in small scale stuff.

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

Well, the whole point of the stomp pts was to promote smaller scale fights, which failed (as soon as they decided to nerf the impact of holding more than 1)

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

They’d probably get rid of the stomps for points mechanic if they did this, which makes me think they’ll never take away down state in WvW. That said, I do feel like down state hurts the game in small scale stuff.

Maybe not the downed state but removing the ability to rally off deaths in WvW. Or alternatively, make it so there is a cap to the person who puts the most damage into an opponent can rally.

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

This has been brought up a number of times, but it is still an issue. There are various changes that could be tried. Allow only a 1 to 1 rally, remove rally but allow rez by friendlies, remove rez of full dead, remove rally from wildlife. The stomps are fun and it adds an extra bit of strategy to the combat that justifies it staying, but the current setup does just favor the side with the larger force.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

This has been brought up a number of times, but it is still an issue. There are various changes that could be tried. Allow only a 1 to 1 rally, remove rally but allow rez by friendlies, remove rez of full dead, remove rally from wildlife. The stomps are fun and it adds an extra bit of strategy to the combat that justifies it staying, but the current setup does just favor the side with the larger force.

question, not a statement. is the above accurate given the fact the side with the smaller force automatically gets the outnumbered buff?

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I think the rally mechanic can stay(it does help out the smaller group sometimes) but fix it so you don’t just sneeze on someone and get a free revive, make it require a significant percentage of damage. And remove hard rezzing while in combat.

Whispers with meat.

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

It goes back to the fact that the combat system was designed and built from the ground up around small number fast paced fights(sPvP). And in this it truly shines, but they have piggy backed that system into WvW and it just doesnt scale well.

It’s not so much about the downed state but more about the rally mechanic, look im not saying there is not some counterplay around this. When we are running our condi group we try and line up the downed player for an epi bomb when people rush in for the revive. But to me it seems that the numerical advantage doesnt need a boost with a mechanics advantage.

The revive speed for 1 person seems to be in line, but multiples add far too much to the revive speed. Maybe this speed could be tweeked a little and a debuff for say 20 seconds after being revived, whereby you inflict say 50% dmg or your cooldowns take a hit. Clearly a debuff is able to be applied, you see this when using the revive orb. Seems wrong you can get up from a revive all cooldowns ready to go and 100% dmg capacity, wheres the reward to the small co-ordinated group that worked hard to bring the target down against x2 or x3 their numbers?

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: displayname.8315

displayname.8315

I like the idea to nurf rally off death or remove it completely. Friendly rez only.

JQ subsidiary

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: adozu.6398

adozu.6398

Oh c’mon, the only thing Anet manages to sell to wvwers is finishers.

/topic

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: Xaros.3986

Xaros.3986

/topic

How do you know that wvwers only buy finishers? And also, why do you think a change to the rally mechanic would hurt sales of said finishers? In the current system, random rallying will often prevent me from stomping, which makes me less willing to spend money on finishers.

Xáros – Necromancer

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: Flyphish.6398

Flyphish.6398

Needs to go away in WvW, it promotes bad play. Favors the blob…which is never a good thing.

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Actually rally mechanic help smaller groups. Jump inside huge blob with guild spam some skills and you get rally whole time. Often guilds win only because of rally mechanic.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I’d rather disable reviving those defeated while in combat. It not only gets in the way as you sometimes will try to revive a defeated player instead using siege or some other object, but allows bigger groups to recover, so smaller groups can’t just shave their numbers off slowly. Some people even stick around for way too long asking for revivals in the middle of combat, and some listen, breaking the pace of the battle.

Require full revive to be out of combat. Only rally should work during combat.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Honestly, I don’t get we have downed state if someone stomping can just get the stomp eventually. (this is disregarding zerg fights where you tend to rally)

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

Rally mechanic

in WvW

Posted by: Jarrix.8234

Jarrix.8234

/topic

What does that have to do with the rally mechanic?

You’ll still go down, you can still be revived by teammates, and you can still be finished. The only difference is that you wouldn’t rally when an enemy dies.

It’s an easy fix, you already don’t rally from pets and yaks. There’s no good excuse for not making this change to WvW.

Kayku
Envy – Fort Aspenwood