Ranger/Druid Not part of Current Meta

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Combat Healing and Healing are two very different things. I would still say an Ele is the better healer in a WvW combat environment. Now if you weren’t required to move, and the two just stood side by side Druid would win in healing but that’s not realistic in WvW.

Ele just brings more to the table, and that stuff isn’t a process to use/activate like some of the Druid abilities. I had so much hope for Druid prior to HoT release, the potential was there but it was just another case of Anet dropping the ball resulting in Druid taking a backseat to Ele.

in WvW

Posted by: primatos.5413

primatos.5413

Ranger / Druid .. what about tempest ? Balance stil sucks .. just keep on playing because of the fun with the mates in TS not because of the game ..

Lügen-Anet Anet-Lügen

in WvW

Posted by: trueanimus.4085

trueanimus.4085

I asked the question in Ranger forums, if they insist on shoving Pets down Rangers/Druids throats why is it there is no pet with AoE stability Available on their F2?

This would be a step forward in making the class a little more desirable, sure they would need more then just that but that alone would be a huge leap forward.

Give it to a bear.

strength of the pact already has stab

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Yeah, so a ranger that brings that elite to the table can have stability 16% of the time, 20% if traited. And that’s their elite. I felt the cooldown nurf was unnecessary, but 2016 has been ~year of the ranger shout nerf~ so I’m not surprised. A pet with a insta-cast stab would definitely help rangers/groups who know they’re about to be CC’d, and it’d giveone more reason for groups to bring rangers along — goodness knows they could use that kind of help.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

trueanimus.4085

Ranger / Druid .. what about tempest ? Balance stil sucks .. just keep on playing because of the fun with the mates in TS not because of the game ..

This thread started as an attempt to try and make some special snowflake commanders recognize that druids/necros/elementalists… everyone who isn’t a melee guard/warrior or revenant were also valuable in wvw.

On the subject of tempests….

Just like any other class you can go one of three ways.. dps, tank or healer.

If you are surviving and not doing enough dps.. add more glass dps gear

If you are full glass and dying.. add a lil bit of toughness/vit gear

There is a balence you have to find on any class.. between “oh crap” i die every hit but i do a ton of dps… and “im a god i never die” but i hit like a wet noodle.

Unlike most, however… i suggest starting with full dps gear and a glass build instead of soilders and tons of hp and toughness. This makes you more alert and you actually have to learn to survive. When you get good at it.. your golden.

As for the skills of tempest.. i used to play elem and could survive just as well as my ranger, but back in the day, my elem was a water build.. so i missed out on a ton of kills/xp and felt like it just wasnt for me.. as i wanted to be the big bomb.

Try to play the game how you feel the most comfortable. Elementalist has the most versatile skill set in the game. The only thing that differs from most classes is you cant swap weapons on the fly.. but no one says you cant run a universal build and swap weapons out of combat.

in WvW

trueanimus.4085

I play druid in pvp as my main and also in wvw both gvg and pug zerg.

First of all, I really don’t understand why 80% of the people who have written in this post continue to talk about the longbow. I don’t want to say that longbow is a bad weapon, i would prefer to call it situational. Speaking about wvw, it works great in duels and also in small scale roaming. In large groups, however, as someone has already mentioned, the pewpew-ing doesn’t work at all cuz all of those skills that counters projectiles. Also Barrage can kill yourself if enemies have retalation. So I strongly advise against that pewpew kitten, except if you want to do something like a “focus party” or what is called.

So druid is useless? I don’t think so. We are the best healers in the game, bois. I have ele also and there’s no way that an ele can heal better than a druid. As an ele you don’t give only heals, that’s true. Auras, boons, fields, condi cleanses and so on. Yeh.
But druid can only heal? Nope. We can bring a lot of things to the table.

If you want to run in a gvg/zerg, staff and Celestial Avatar are your best friend. Heals, blasts, mobility, aoe stealth, aoe dazes and immobilize, mobile waterfields, aoe condi cleanses, projectiles converted in healing for you and your mates. Pets are better in passive mode, near you, but you can yolo them for cc or good burst/marks procs if needed. For your secondary weapon, you can run something like sword-warhorn for mobility and more boonz/blast, or greatsword if you want better mobility, blocks and cc’s. You can also buff allies damage with Spotter or Grace of the Land (7% free crit chance and 10% increased damage in aoe).

I’m still trying various things after the last patch, but this is what I run atm:

for Guild Raid: http: http: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBmYD7kSFoWQsnFwhFgrFsMLYw/zC6D1pqNn+XPBg60W7kWl+YA-TlyHAB0pEsV1fOSpX+HEA00BAwRAAl9HIXzA4PAgfUGEAAB4m3Mb2mBu5Nv5Nv5NLFgfDtA-w

for Open Raid: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBmYD7kSFoWQsXQwhFgrFswIYMhrvVA45JMsaZwN1paW9kXbVaA-TVyHABopDAgjAA5aGaV9n8PIA6s/A4PAgjU+RnSwNDBALSArqkCwvhWA-w

Equip stats can be changed on personal preference.
Guild raid version focus hard on fast rezzes and cc’s. Zerg version basically drop out nature magic since Spotter and Quick Draw seems more impactful. Zerg version also drops cc for quickness > fast heals.
You can swap Mercy runes for Troopers or Durability and take “Guard” instead of Search and Rescue or Signet of renewal for moar aoe damage reduction/aoe condi cleanses.
Ancient Seeds are also a good cc option.
Greatsword is better than s/w in certain situations.
This build exploits the massive boonshare that your allies can give to you, basically if you use “We heal as one” in a fight you will gain every kittenin boon in the game.

HEALING ROTATION:
For Ranged: CA #3 or staff #5+3 should be enough.
For the melee train: Strenght of the Pack> enter in the melee train> enter CA form> CA skills 3-4-3-2> exit CA form> go out of the melee train with staff#3 or Sword #2 or GS #3> wait cooldowns> repeat. (if you are taking too much damage in the process, activate Signet of Stone for a 6 seconds damage immunity)

OTHER THINGS:
-Warhorn 5 + F2 can be an unblockable aoe taunt.
-If an ally is hard focused, stealth him with Celestial Shadow.
-You can ress very fast thanks to Allies Aid, even faster if you are running Mercy runes

The build works even in 1v1 but is kitten. lol. Don’t do it. Only if needed. You get it.
My guild leader, that lead both gvg and pug zerg, never asked me to change class. He likes druid if played right ;D

I hope this can help a bit, for those who have lost hope lol. Just don’t pewpew against a 50 men zerg bois.

It depends on your playstyle and who you run with..

For me, wvw zerg fights mostly.. i run longbow just because of the distance and the damage of rapid fire.

Im full glass cannon basically.. like most, and cant really get into the melee/close combat style of other builds.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

I asked the question in Ranger forums, if they insist on shoving Pets down Rangers/Druids throats why is it there is no pet with AoE stability Available on their F2?

This would be a step forward in making the class a little more desirable, sure they would need more then just that but that alone would be a huge leap forward.

I bolded the part you missed.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Nuzt.7894

Give it to a bear.

Well aware of this 3 stack 60 sec CD Elite. The point is to try and get something more inline with most other classes. 60 sec is to long of a CD, 25-30 sec is what you guys should be pushing for, and there is no reason why it couldn’t be an F2 ability on the pet, god knows there is a plethora of useless pets in the game.

You also have a stab on Signet of the Wild but again it’s a 60 sec CD, an ability like Stability should never be on a 60 sec CD because at that point the skill becomes useless and will always lose out to something more efficient.

Both of which are personal stabs (pet included), they need more stuff that benefits the grp/raid/squad imo.

(edited by Nuzt.7894)

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Give it to a bear.

Well aware of this 3 stack 60 sec CD Elite. The point is to try and get something more inline with most other classes. 60 sec is to long of a CD, 25-30 sec is what you guys should be pushing for, and there is no reason why it couldn’t be an F2 ability on the pet, god knows there is a plethora of useless pets in the game.

You also have a stab on Signet of the Wild but again it’s a 60 sec CD, an ability like Stability should never be on a 60 sec CD because at that point the skill becomes useless and will always lose out to something more efficient.

Both of which are personal stabs (pet included), they need more stuff that benefits the grp/raid/squad imo.

You forgot the biggest problem with both of those stabs, neither is instant cast.
Having a 1 sec cast time on a stability skill is moronic.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Give it to a bear.

You forgot the biggest problem with both of those stabs, neither is instant cast.

Enlargement is insta-cast though. Even having perma-stability (some AoE) still does not warrant a Druid in WvW though over other classes. Because the fundamental Druid/Ranger issue IS the slow, clunky pet that doesn’t hit targets and projectile hate in general with many fast-attacking abilities.

Druid/Ranger “support” options is not really it’s WvW zerg problem (a shout Guardian/Tempest still would be preferred). More Stability (for any class) would sure be welcome but not the issue.

Projectile hate limits a lot of options for a lot of classes including Rangers (since projectile hate kills other teammates). And fast-attacking abilities (Longbow/Shortbow/Axe) gets you killed because of retribution boon.

Druid is awesome in roaming/solo and horrible when enemy players can layer Retribution boon and projectile hate over one another. That’s why it isn’t grand when you see Druids not using Staff and/or a Sword/GS weapon in zerg play as you know they are actually helping the enemy team more frequently (read: liability) than they should be.

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Druid is ok, longbow is useless. Issue is that its like thief, self boons and such. It doesnt fill single target burst role or caster role but might have some use in melee train needing 2 guards for stab. Issue is that melee party is already 2 guard + rev + necro. Do you really want 5th to be druid? Id rather take another guardian… Or even scrapper. Necro is not replaceable. Rev is just too strong at melee clashes to skip.
Maybe you could play tanky druid with 2 dhs to provide sustain, but would you better than minstrel ele? Doubt it.

Every big zerg needs a solo ress bot tho,but do you wanna play that? Maybe not.

Staff is ok overtime but youd rather take another necro with axe 2+ focus 5 single target damage + unblockable wellbomb (mesmers are good because gravity well makes necro wells stronger).

Pets well, are useless if on backfoot. And on equal fights, its impossible to be gamechanger as druid. Necro/ele/war/rev can at least score 3+ kills solo on bomb.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

(edited by Threather.9354)

in WvW

Nuzt.7894

Give it to a bear.

Enlargement is insta-cast though. Even having perma-stability (some AoE) still does not warrant a Druid in WvW though over other classes. Because the fundamental Druid/Ranger issue IS the slow, clunky pet that doesn’t hit targets and projectile hate in general with many fast-attacking abilities.

Druid/Ranger “support” options is not really it’s WvW zerg problem (a shout Guardian/Tempest still would be preferred). More Stability (for any class) would sure be welcome but not the issue.

Projectile hate limits a lot of options for a lot of classes including Rangers (since projectile hate kills other teammates). And fast-attacking abilities (Longbow/Shortbow/Axe) gets you killed because of retribution boon.

Druid is awesome in roaming/solo and horrible when enemy players can layer Retribution boon and projectile hate over one another. That’s why it isn’t grand when you see Druids not using Staff and/or a Sword/GS weapon in zerg play as you know they are actually helping the enemy team more frequently (read: liability) than they should be.

You’re right it doesn’t warrant it with just Stability but it is a step in the right direction. Change staff #5 to a larger Water Field, Glyph and Signets could be reworked to provide more utility to groups. There is plenty they “should” have done when introducing it. I agree though Stab alone is still not enough to warrant Druid > Ele but at least they wouldn’t be a liability.

I personally would probably run a Staff/GS build in this type of game play.

in WvW

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

I’ve had to leave one guild and I’m contemplating leaving my current because I want to play my ranger in wvw and my guilds commander is ‘no rangers allowed lololol’

I don’t like Druid either. I like to pew pew with a longbow, not heal.

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

I’ve had to leave one guild and I’m contemplating leaving my current because I want to play my ranger in wvw and my guilds commander is ‘no rangers allowed lololol’

yeh i agree vanilla ranger should bring the roam\pewpew\skirimish type of gameplay ranger is supposed to have.
Druid should brimg sustain for the group, and not dps. I never understood what was doing a pure dps thing in a druid were any other trait, weapon and skill is about sustain. It sounded more like pushing down in the raid players throats the druid concept.

ranger had a great support option with buffs nobody had: mobile spirits. Bring that back so ranger have a support option.

Ranger lacked also sustain, and there is were the druid comes in. That class should bring enough sustain by itself that the druid should be able to sustain fighting melee against a reaper or a warrior by their active abilities. And how Anet said once in a while: being able to sustain an squad of 10 people around him.

Druid should become tougher the more healing stat he invest, more resilientp to conditions, easier healing, harder to get down: exponentially.

but because of the active abilities instead passive. Druid does not need the 12 seconds full immunity from the warrior, only needs ways to reduce the income damage and ways to recover quickly by stronger defensive defenses (healing, damage reduction, stealth\evade) and active defenses (taunt, immobilize, daze).

And balance all that with the pet so it doesn"t become 50 caliber machine gun with a nuke proof bunker around like the warrior is.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in WvW

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

yeh i agree vanilla ranger should bring the roam\pewpew\skirimish type of gameplay ranger is supposed to have.
Druid should brimg sustain for the group, and not dps. I never understood what was doing a pure dps thing in a druid were any other trait, weapon and skill is about sustain. It sounded more like pushing down in the raid players throats the druid concept.

ranger had a great support option with buffs nobody had: mobile spirits. Bring that back so ranger have a support option.

Ranger lacked also sustain, and there is were the druid comes in. That class should bring enough sustain by itself that the druid should be able to sustain fighting melee against a reaper or a warrior by their active abilities. And how Anet said once in a while: being able to sustain an squad of 10 people around him.

Druid should become tougher the more healing stat he invest, more resilientp to conditions, easier healing, harder to get down: exponentially.

but because of the active abilities instead passive. Druid does not need the 12 seconds full immunity from the warrior, only needs ways to reduce the income damage and ways to recover quickly by stronger defensive defenses (healing, damage reduction, stealth\evade) and active defenses (taunt, immobilize, daze).

And balance all that with the pet so it doesn"t become 50 caliber machine gun with a nuke proof bunker around like the warrior is.

By standing at 1200-1500 range, a druid can already avoid big part of the dmg in a skirmish fight and that’s a huge benefit. The druid was designed to give ranger better sustain in duels and better condi clear…we’ve got it all.

Whether people like it or not, elite specs are used to promote expansions ; relatively to other core specs, the ranger is plenty balanced and received numerous buffs: shouts/signet/weapon skills/trait.

They buffed shouts all of them, buffed sword-warhorn-shortbow-greatsword-few core pets, buffed core traits..all this since HoT release, you received one the best treatment for core spec among all classes.

Druid was designed with a purpose in mind and it does it perfectly no complaints : Druid is bloody amazing like the HoT pets, now if you want a zerg minded spec….you can either wait for next expansion and next elite spec which I’m sure will be melee oriented/tank brawler for zerg fights [ basically that’s the only role ranger can’t cover atm perfectly] or you can temporarily use a different profession for wvw mode.

You can still use partially viable builds as druid in wvw, not the end of the world, but for your meta spec….wait or reroll but stop complaining about ranger/druid: the class atm is overall balanced and optimized but like other it lacks in few areas..still respect to many others, a ranger can have something worth praising Anet for : build diversity

All this comes from somebody who played ele for well over 3k hours and permanently swapped to ranger recently, because at the contrary of the real pet class…a ranger doesn’t need a coordinated group to function at 100%

P.S really think about how lucky rangers are respect to ele…your elite has not been designed to work only with 2 lines in mind (earth/water) and at a fixed range ( overloads are just melee skills)

(edited by Supreme.3164)

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

See?
Rangers DO have a place where they can shine!
Forum redeemed

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

See?
Rangers DO have a place where they can shine!
Forum redeemed

I don’t want to hear their sobs, MINION MASTER is not part of the current meta. I want change.

in WvW

Nuzt.7894

By standing at 1200-1500 range, a druid can already avoid big part of the dmg in a skirmish fight and that’s a huge benefit. The druid was designed to give ranger better sustain in duels and better condi clear…we’ve got it all.

Whether people like it or not, elite specs are used to promote expansions ; relatively to other core specs, the ranger is plenty balanced and received numerous buffs: shouts/signet/weapon skills/trait.

They buffed shouts all of them, buffed sword-warhorn-shortbow-greatsword-few core pets, buffed core traits..all this since HoT release, you received one the best treatment for core spec among all classes.

Druid was designed with a purpose in mind and it does it perfectly no complaints : Druid is bloody amazing like the HoT pets, now if you want a zerg minded spec….you can either wait for next expansion and next elite spec which I’m sure will be melee oriented/tank brawler for zerg fights [ basically that’s the only role ranger can’t cover atm perfectly] or you can temporarily use a different profession for wvw mode.

You can still use partially viable builds as druid in wvw, not the end of the world, but for your meta spec….wait or reroll but stop complaining about ranger/druid: the class atm is overall balanced and optimized but like other it lacks in few areas..still respect to many others, a ranger can have something worth praising Anet for : build diversity

All this comes from somebody who played ele for well over 3k hours and permanently swapped to ranger recently, because at the contrary of the real pet class…a ranger doesn’t need a coordinated group to function at 100%

P.S really think about how lucky rangers are respect to ele…your elite has not been designed to work only with 2 lines in mind (earth/water) and at a fixed range ( overloads are just melee skills)

You seem confused about range and how a druid seems intended to be played. The Bow can go up to 1500 not the staff, staff 5 water field is 900, CA 3 water field isn’t a ground target, healing spring isn’t a ground target, so of the 3 water fields they have 1 of them has a range and it’s only 900 on a kitten poor field. The other CA abilities are useful for clearing condi at range or healing with no range except CA #1 which isn’t going to keep an organized grp sustained which is why Water Fields are the go to and Ele/Temp still trump the Druid.

For a Druid to be it’s most effective (support/sustain wise) in WvW it requires the Druid to be in the thick of battle using his/her water fields as well as clearing condi’s which could be done from range but negates their most useful heals. It was poorly designed, now if CA #3 and Healing spring had 1200-1500 range ground targets you would have a valid argument, but they don’t. Which brings us full round to the, anything you can do I can do better argument. As someone who has played both Ele/Temp and Druid, The Ele/Temp wins hands down for party/squad spot. I do wish this wasn’t the case because I do enjoy my Druid but I’m going to bring what is most useful for the team.

in WvW

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

The 1200-1500 range was intended as the max distance at which the ranger can be played and still be effective. The one who seems to confuse between professions would be you I’m afraid.

Druid was never meant to be a replacement for ele, a class purely designed for support play, the tempest is meant to be played purely as melee centered support meaning you can’t play ele other than with tanky stats and loads of healing to stay alive, your dps lacks greatly, you’re forced to pass through hell to hit anything or to support anybody, all ele support got around 300 radius.

The druid is a great specialization, extremely well done and this comes again from somebody who mained ele since launch, druid > tempest every day…all the week long.

You can build druid whichever way you want : you have condi removal/stunbreaker/stealth/superb healing all in one trait line…you can actually use all traits and don’t kitten yourself, ever seen a tempest with lucid singularity (GM) or latent stamina (adept), tempestuous aura ( master) or imbued melodies ( GM)….yeah me neither.

Ever seen a tempest not using earth/water or 2/3 shouts…….yeah me neither
Ever seen a tempest not using focus/dagger – focus…yeah me neither
Ever seen a tempest roaming….yeah me neither

You don’t need to sit at melee range to heal allies, it means you don’t need to go full tank mode, you can still have great dps thx to pet and other dmg increasing utilities, you have a choice with the utilities…it’s not “shouts or go home”

All the weapons on rangers are well balanced, extreme fluidity , very low after cast…god, I would tie every single ranger in this thread to a chair and force you to play scepter ele for 2-3 months or even warhorn ele…after I’d like to see any of you trying to moan about ranger weapons

If rangers really think that druid suck…god must forgive you all…and I pray that Irenio stop working on rangers and move his talent to the ele community..you can have ..our dev, he’s all yours

(edited by Supreme.3164)

in WvW

Nuzt.7894

You obviously missed my points so carry on.

in WvW

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

I don’t think any one who runs Druid/Ranger main is sobbing about damage .I certainly don’t. the damage is fine as is .The argument is relevancy on the battle field.Many say that Druid?Ranger can’t bring AOE to the table .Well that’s untrue if you’ve every run a axe /torch trapper.Plenty of might can be stacked off of torch and ,if placed correctly at trigger, fire trap.Poison trap for weakness field.Frost aura off of frost trap.and healing spring gives very good healing on a blast.Not to mention some pets have AOE effect on F2. The misleading idea that a retaliation will kill a ranger is also untrue.Sure if you just blindly throw shots off without looking to see whats going on ,that may happen, but I find it rare.Rangers can’t do front line is also untrue .If rigged up right with the right weapons and traits a ranger can survive as well as any medium or light class.Basically My point is ,because rangers have been neglected for a period of time, a lot experimentation hasn’t been done to find the right niche.I myself run three different armor sets for WvW ranging from extremely high dps ,high condition,and very high defense.
The point of the game is to have fun ,experiment.Groups need to stop being so militant .lighten up and allow people just to have fun.It’s not the end of the world if you lose a battle or a match.Guild Wars isn’t a job.It’s entertainment.