Ranger skill Barrage overpowered?

in WvW

Posted by: Benjifu.8451

Benjifu.8451

Okay not sure if this has been raised before but I imagine it has as this topic has been frustrating me over the last month or so..

I’ve noticed when I try to defend a tower lately I put can AC or whatever down and then get 3-4 rangers appear underneath the wall and use this skill, it covers the WHOLE width of the wall, there’s no safe place to put an AC on a wall anymore?! even if you’re not in the red AOE circles the AC still takes damage.. It’s making me think defending something when the outmanned icon is up is pointless..
Anet need to think about reducing AoE area damage or increase the width of walls to make defending something at least an option?!

in WvW

Posted by: yiishing.9057

yiishing.9057

such strong
very damage
pls nerf
wow

best skill in game, hands down

Good Old Days [GD] - Disturbed Squad [DISS]
http://de.twitch.tv/yiillusion

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

If you think Barrage does damage… You need to revise your gear. Put up some retaliation and the ranger will die.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.8531

Pavel.8531

This… I don’t even have a ranger and I was still like “this has to be a troll post”. But no, you are serious. Wow, just wow.
Btw I wonder what would have happened if 4 staff eles did the same thing… guess what – it would have happened… dramatic pause …THE same thing badum tsch. And actually meteor hits much stronger too. I get what you are trying to say about aoes and siege on walls.
And yes, defending while outmanned is quite pointless, except in some rare cases(upgraded tower, supplies, smart siege placement).

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

If you give a ranger the time to cast Barrage you already made a mistake

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Barrage has a really long cooldown and it doesn’t hit hard. If it did hit semi-hard it means the ranger is super squishy and all you need to do is to fart towards the ranger’s general direction and the ranger will drop down dead in the matter of seconds.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Barrage in itself is not OP.

But the fact that you can so easily kill siege on walls is. It’s just a really dumb side-effect of how the targeting works in this game.

Walls, something that should really offer an upper hand, are really more of a death-trap and a big reason why defense often feels futile.

(edited by Dee Jay.2460)

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

Whoa did I just hear the two words ranger and OP in the same sentence without the word not?

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

There’s more to defending than standing on a wall and taking damage from 30 people. I wish a lot of people would learn that.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

If Barrage scares you, you need some PVT gear.

Osu

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

Meteor shower >>>>> Barrage

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

Posted by: Silverthorn.8576

Silverthorn.8576

if you think barrage is OP, meteor shower must be the apocalypse for you!

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

omg, I dont even walk out of barrage when I am on defend duty. However meteorshower makes me move quite a lot.

in WvW

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

something op about rangers. this is a first.

in WvW

Benjifu.8451

You can laugh all you like about how I’ve put it but the fact is being in the bottom tier and being constantly outmanned for about 10 hours of the day trying to defend one tower left within the whole of wvw on your own and you get 1-2 rangers attack it in a group.. Yes it doesnt hurt much but the fact it can hit siege anywhere on a wall is ridiculous.. The AC is gone in about 3-4 of the skills uses but then makes defence seem pointless.

I was making saying overpowered due to the fact AOE dmg for barrage overlaps the AOE ring it creates and AC’s die so quickly there no point in defending..

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

something op about rangers. this is a first.

Yep. Now, to make it truly OP, make it do the damage of a superior AC. Then we can be comparable to the warrior hammer trains.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Ranger pets are the biggest problem in this game.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Place AC in better spot. Seriously. This is about siege placement more than AOE reach. Also, if you’re outmanned that much for the match up you’re better off learning the roaming paths and trying to find some small fights, sniping yaks, and taking camps than trying to defend. You’ll get more bang for your buck that way and probably have way more fun.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

in WvW

PookieDaWombat.6209

LOL, hush Sav. :p heheheh Seriously though, OP, learn some placement for the areas you want to defend.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

I feel like this guy is seeing the AoE circle for Barrage, but missing the likely Meteors (no AoE circle) falling around him.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

PookieDaWombat.6209

Or they speed built an AC near the tower edge and someone and hitting him with that.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

Or they speed built an AC near the tower edge and someone and hitting him with that.

So you are saying I obviously gave him too much credit….Noted.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

PookieDaWombat.6209

So you are saying I obviously gave him too much credit….Noted.

Yeah, maybe just a touch too much.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

30s cooldown (24 with trait), 50% damage nerf, extremely easy to dodge, and does a whopping 300-500 damage to a fully tanked target with a full glass cannon build.

Yea very OP in my opinion…

If anything Barrage, and all AoE should have it’s damage doubled, harder to escape from, and made so that it can’t touch siege on walls.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Roots the Ranger and makes for a ridiculously easy kill. We constantly call out Rangers on voice chat for leaning back. The damage is laughable and usually they will keep firing while being in 100 Blades. It also makes for super easy Backstabs and knockdowns.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

PookieDaWombat.6209

Not to mention the fact that they have no pull like a mez unless they are also running Axes and I’m not even sure they can hit ya on the wall with that move, so feel free to look over the edge and ping them that way too, if just to make them dodge out of their barrage.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

This is the thief forums every day. Pretty sure someone’s going to go there and whine about how Twisting Fangs, Repeater, and Stab are OP somehow.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

How many times have we heard something like this over voicechat: They have an AC up careful, oh wait it is just a Ranger no worries.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

PookieDaWombat.6209

Yeah, to be honest, the worse I’ve seen from well organized rangers with LB and trap set ups were that they waited right until the enemy force pushed into the group and about 3 of them started dropping CC along the retreat routes and sides helping to make a nice killzone. Now a good team can probably take a tower fairly easy, especially against one dude, but its certainly not because barrage is OP.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Dark FQ.1038

Dark FQ.1038

Yes let’s nerf ranger, because they are soooo op. Best class ingame.

Dark Fq (Desolation and Gandara)all classes condi. http://www.youtube.com/user/FQDark

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

If you think Barrage is OP, wait till you get caught by a trapper ranger with Entangle, Flame, spike and poison trap. You’ll never move an inch before being burnt, poisoned and bled to death…

Also, meteor shower >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Barrage
Arcing Arrow >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Barrage

Only “OP” thing about Barrage is 1500 range + AOE… meaning i can hit you even at the high point at hills south gate.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Prysin.8542

How many times have we heard something like this over voicechat: They have an AC up careful, oh wait it is just a Ranger no worries.

was quite common when you could abuse “Keen Edge” and “Sharpening Stone” for a lulzy 10 stacks of bleeding on 5 targets. Nowdays, not so much.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

As others have said…. meteor shower is the only OP aoe skill. As for barrage, the biggest defense is retal. It will practically kill a ranger (as it should).

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

Pro tip: don’t put your arrow cart anywhere within 400 range of a gate. They can be nuked through the ceiling of the gate. Put it on the back edge of the wall away from the gate and angle your screen to see the front of the gate.

Pro tip2: AOE the ceiling isn’t just for gates. You can use this tactic on a borderlands garrison to wipe arrow carts on the third floor without having to go up there yourself. Eles just spray some meteor showers through the ceiling and you’ll do just fine.

Little red Lioka

in WvW

Posted by: geist.3980

geist.3980

Anet need to think about reducing AoE area damage or increase the width of walls to make defending something at least an option?!

this I agree with…but ranger is the least of your worries. my personal favorite sad wall defender death is when a 5 man party of engineers all run up and throw their junk up on the wall at the same time and run off lol

in WvW

PookieDaWombat.6209

this I agree with…but ranger is the least of your worries. my personal favorite sad wall defender death is when a 5 man party of engineers all run up and throw their junk up on the wall at the same time and run off lol

Nah, I then start to chuck my grenades over the wall at them too to add insult to injury. Even better when a ranger barrages them too to keep the cripple stacks up. lol

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

If you die from barrage, that’s a sign that you might as well not bother with WvW.

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

Ranger pet a different story.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

A two and 2/3rd second activation time self-rooting skill with a long 30s cooldown, alongside going on full cooldown and stopping early upon interrupt…

Really?

Oh, and Barrage is the ONLY Ranger skill that has a 5-man cap. Storm Spirit is 3. Muddy Terrain is 3. All the traps and Bonfire are 3.

Longbow was always one of the weaker of the Ranger weapons, necessitating the greatest distance to maintain the highest DPS; this is counter-productive, considering you’re distanced from your groups buffs and projectiles barely hit half the time.

Rangers are seen as free bags and are the pinnacle of poor game design.

Maybe you should be smarter with your siege deployment, instead of spouting ridiculous nonsense rooted from your lack of experience in the game.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

(edited by DiamondMeteor.8345)

in WvW

PookieDaWombat.6209

Yeah, and be real glad they can’t have their pets teleport up onto the walls with you or its insta-death.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

Maybe you should be smarter with your siege deployment, instead of spouting ridiculous nonsense rooted from your lack of experience in the game.

Many rangers experienced in rooting.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

PookieDaWombat.6209

Many rangers experienced in rooting.

I hear its what they do.

Not to others mind you. just themselves.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Yeah, and be real glad they can’t have their pets teleport up onto the walls with you or its insta-death.

They used to do that.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Prysin.8542

They used to do that.

hey son, let me tell you a story about dat time i sent ma lil wolf up ta eat da big bad AC up on em walls.
It jumped up the 30 foot wall with grace an agility. Softly landin on ta top, spendin but a moment ta find da enemy. Den it leapt right at’im, lockin it’s big jaws ’round ’is fat lazy defender leg. rippin it off like a twig on a rotten branch.
Aye son, those were ’te times. Aye, Good times, good times indeed.

in WvW

Posted by: Cantur Soulfyre.5409

Cantur Soulfyre.5409

Ya know the ACs have wheels for a reason, just move them out of the AoE…

Cantar Soulfyre-Norn W|Canter Soulfyre-Human G|Cantirus Foghorn – Charr R
Born and raised in Sorrow’s Furnace – WvWvWest Coast Squad
“All hail the mighty Flame Ram!!!” – said by Someone Somewhere at Sometime

in WvW

Posted by: Ninjapotpie.6973

Ninjapotpie.6973

There’s more to defending than standing on a wall and taking damage from 30 people. I wish a lot of people would learn that.

…..LIES styx all lies… but what do I know about defending anything….:]

Zorin Blackbow / Azrok [DS]
Ranger, Eng ,Commander (ret),Smartass
GoM. Please don’t feed the Trolls.

in WvW

Posted by: Thustlewhumber.7416

Thustlewhumber.7416

Best. Thread. Ever.

We even have a guild designation of “Died to Upleveled Ranger” for lower ranked members. So OP.

WvW Necro

in WvW

Benjifu.8451

Instead of being offensive towards what I’m trying to explain barrage can destroy an Ac in 3 uses, and to those people questioning my AC placement I know good spots.. But like I said the AoE red ring of damage hits misses where I’m standing but still damages the AC, I dont see how any of you havent experienced this before.. The fact walls are a no go when a tower or keep is being attacked to me is ridiculous..

in WvW

Posted by: Cantur Soulfyre.5409

Cantur Soulfyre.5409

This is the second thread about how OP rangers are. Must be time for a nerf…

Cantar Soulfyre-Norn W|Canter Soulfyre-Human G|Cantirus Foghorn – Charr R
Born and raised in Sorrow’s Furnace – WvWvWest Coast Squad
“All hail the mighty Flame Ram!!!” – said by Someone Somewhere at Sometime

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

People have to be careful about making threads like this because Anet may actually nerf them.. meaning they might reduce the AoE ring on Barrage. Obviously, the Ranger does not need any nerfs, Barrage already took a 50% damage hit for some odd reason.

While I agree OP with your logic (and I’m sure many others do as well), I don’t believe AoE should be able to hit siege on top of walls in the manner it does. This isn’t a Ranger issue, this is more of an overall design issue.

Siege can be near useless on walls along with players themselves trying to defend. Coming from a glass cannon ranger who kills most of their targets on walls with Barrage + Quickness combo, it really is unfair. Most of the time, people will take 8K-12K damage before they react to escape. Yes I can still hit siege placed at the very back of the wall quite easily. All it takes is 2 glass cannon AoE attacks to knock out siege.

I’m not sure if this was ever intended for AoE, but it seems to me a bit far fetched that siege is rendered nearly ineffective because of it.