Ratings reset - big mistake

in WvW

Posted by: snacktime.1082

snacktime.1082

I know it’s really really early, but this is looking like a lot of really close matches this week. I’m going to go out on a tiny limb here and say the reset will be a disaster after looking at the final scores for this week.

in WvW

Posted by: Runty Choir.4893

Runty Choir.4893

Yea im thinking exactly the same thing lol. EU and US servers are all pretty equal.

Alpha
Victrixx [xVx]

in WvW

Posted by: Zatria.5783

Zatria.5783

I agree. The servers are finally finding their right spot on the ladder. We should see much closer scores, at least until is gets ruined and everyone starts over again. Then it will be back to Server 1: 400,000 Server 2: 125,000 Server 3: 99,000.

in WvW

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

I agree aswell, in EU everyone is at his right tier, all that’s left is arborstone to drop a few more, but that would have happened after this week anyway.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: skwas.9873

skwas.9873

Agreed… We were looking at going back to t8 again after this or maybe next week and maybe grow from there on, but now we (WSR) are looking at a first place and weeks of getting facerolled. Sure we will fight, but it’s not going to be alot of fun and we run the risk of losing players this way.

I sincerly hope that Anet has some undisclosed, alternate maths for the next matchups…

skwas aka Corwann – Warrior/Guardian
[CC] Crimson Conspiracy
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: Shaojack.3871

Shaojack.3871

Yeah, I completely agree, T1-3 look pretty good for a change.
SBI may have to fall one more and Emry bay move up one.
This reset is happening at a really terrible time.

Brojack (80 Thief) / Shaojack(80 Warrior) / Shaokuma(80 Guardian) / Shaojax(80 Ranger)

Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: pixieish.9627

pixieish.9627

My god everything looks like an outright nightmare in the next matchup. …well, based on old math, anyways… hopefully ANet has a clever plan in mind, or else there’s going to be so many matches that will make Kaineg’s ridiculous trouncing of other servers look like a fair fight.

Reiseiji, Guardian, Fabulous Spec
Kaschen, Engi, Nerfed Spec
Devona’s Refugee, recently arrived to F.Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Yeah, ratings reset was kind of an odd decision. While the tiers were messed up after everyone and their uncle transferred to a new server, I don’t think they were ruined enough to merit completely resetting the rating. Now for instance, based on prior match-ups it looks like Ebay will win by the largest margin making them the new #1 server, when realistically they should be in tier 4. The tier 1 servers meanwhile, which have the most 24/7 coverage and will end up with the closest scores, will be dropped to mid-tier giving us another month of one-sided matches.

in WvW

Posted by: JPSnow.8296

JPSnow.8296

I totally agree except reset night is a very bad judge if the tiers are equal. All servers in top 3 tiers can field all bl. It’s during the week blow outs start to happen

JPSnow (main) – Necro, Sir Mezalot – Mesmer
Lieutenant Stabs – Thief
Night Vision (NV) – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Blue.7256

Blue.7256

For quite a while we had a very leveled field. From time to time things would move around with communities falling and rising. But those would be a case of 1-2 matches per week while all other matchups were doing fine. In the end, servers that won’t deserve it would go down, servers that do would go up.

Reseting rankings will make it exactly the same. Field will level up. But it will take several weeks of completely messed up matchups. Unneccesery is the least I can call it.

[RL] Bluel
Royal Legion – Polish MMORPG Guild
www.royallegion.pl

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Just when the tiers were starting to get balanced too…

Scroll down at look at next weeks match up :/
http://mos.millenium.org/matchups#NA

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: JPSnow.8296

JPSnow.8296

Just for a example last week FA was third on reset night and we won by 80,000. Kain and yaks were neck and neck as well an kain won by 200000 or something like that.

JPSnow (main) – Necro, Sir Mezalot – Mesmer
Lieutenant Stabs – Thief
Night Vision (NV) – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Blue.7256

Blue.7256

please note, that ANet said they will use new, unannounced formula from now on, so ranking on MoS site for next week may be innacurate

[RL] Bluel
Royal Legion – Polish MMORPG Guild
www.royallegion.pl

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Interesting thing about the Glicko rating system is since it only accounts for the magnitude of a server winning within their tier, it’s possible that the best server would never reach the #1 spot. For instance, say that SoS, SoR, and JQ are so evenly matched that the score is dead even at the end of the week and will place them all in tier 5. Even though they would beat the servers in tiers 1-4, because they are stuck fighting each other, they will never be able to progress to higher tiers since their relative WvW performance is static. Although that scenario is extremely unlikely, I hope that some adjustment is made so that the next couple of months aren’t too painful.

in WvW

Posted by: Swifter.6451

Swifter.6451

Agreed… We were looking at going back to t8 again after this or maybe next week and maybe grow from there on, but now we (WSR) are looking at a first place and weeks of getting facerolled. Sure we will fight, but it’s not going to be alot of fun and we run the risk of losing players this way.

I sincerly hope that Anet has some undisclosed, alternate maths for the next matchups…

You should ease up on your point income if you don’t want to be out of your depth next week. Rolling in 600+ points, you’re just setting your own fate.

in WvW

Posted by: skwas.9873

skwas.9873

You should ease up on your point income if you don’t want to be out of your depth next week. Rolling in 600+ points, you’re just setting your own fate.

I wish it were that simple. Even the general population is capable of holding a point lead. Vabbi is not really a threat and FoW might for the same reason decide not to really push that hard. We already outnumber them most of the times so it is almost certain we are going to come out on top. We had a guild meeting before reset and decided not to push into enemy territory, yet the map turned green within 1 hour after reset… :/

skwas aka Corwann – Warrior/Guardian
[CC] Crimson Conspiracy
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: Supersun.4603

Supersun.4603

Ehh, while some good match-ups will certainly get mixed up one thing it will do is rocket some of the recently deserted servers to the bottom so it doesn’t take them half a year to get down there.

At least it will quickly prevent any 1v1v0 match-ups for the most part.

in WvW

Posted by: Wandred.4583

Wandred.4583

ruiins of sumria +22
desolation -21
GJ!

in WvW

Posted by: Tala.7638

Tala.7638

Stop this madness. Resets are getting done at the perfect time. Free transfers are locked. A clean slate is what every server needed. All this should’ve happened over 2 months to be honest. This is good thing. And if you read the millenium page, they do not have the proper algorithm from Anet, so those match ups are most likely incorrect.

Talaysteria/Talas Cap/Talarenth
THE Mystic Plumbers [LUCK]
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

in WvW

Posted by: SniffyCube.6107

SniffyCube.6107

lol, can we get this merged with the several hundred threads calling FOR a reset and all the suggestions etc.

Can’t make everyone happy.

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Posted by: salluks.6017

salluks.6017

ruiins of sumria +22
desolation -21
GJ!

lol yea, i noticed that too!

in WvW

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

Some new servers to fight………thats if anyone is playing on them

This could be the new Tier 1 match up next week for EU

Ruins of Surmia +22
Whiteside Ridge +23
Abaddon’s Mouth +13

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

(edited by Dyno.9467)

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

We’ve had fairly close matchup for weeks now prior to the reset. I don’t mind a week or two of being steamrolled/steamrolling. It will just make us appreciated the closer matches again once we get there.

It’s also a big “screw you” to all the “winning server joiners” who have been switching servers excessively.

Things will be fairly close again in a week or two, relax.

in WvW

Posted by: Vidar Oort.5234

Vidar Oort.5234

Theres probably at least a few problems with this idea but why not have the 1st place server move up and 3rd place server move down after every week. Now that there wont be huge transfers this sounds like a great option. Every server will have different opponents every week. Those who are always between the same tiers always have “lets get em next week”. Im not sure but once we level out completely with our current system it may become very boring if we know we cant move up and will always face the same servers.

Mornahk – Warrior
[Ark]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

What pisses me off is that we spent a lot of time making a decision on our final transfer, picking the server that best fit our needs, the tier that best fit our needs, and we did it expecting that things would be somewhat stable after transfers ended.

Then along comes ANET and intentionally screws it up for weeks. I do not care that eventually it will rebalance, why should I have weeks of boring or bad match-ups so that it can eventually get back to where it is now?

Population is what drives servers upwards, those populations are now going to be relatively static with free transfers over, so what the kitten is the point of resetting ratings now?

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

That is silly suggestion because not addressing problem of system and just trying to fix it in your favor. Servers should play to their upmost abilities. And Anet needs to fix scoring better.

in WvW

Posted by: Maz Muzhik.2165

Maz Muzhik.2165

At least we can all have a laugh at how silly next weekends matches looks. Some matches are going to be very unbalanced next week.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

The ratings reset will actually cause imbalances for the next 10 weeks until this becomes sorted out again. I do not understand the logic.

That said, what do we really expect? Look at the culling system. The system failed a test in December and was reverted. So what happened? They rolled out the same failed system a second time expecting a different result.

in WvW

Posted by: boneduste.4023

boneduste.4023

The ratings reset will actually cause imbalances for the next 10 weeks until this becomes sorted out again. I do not understand the logic.

That said, what do we really expect? Look at the culling system. The system failed a test in December and was reverted. So what happened? They rolled out the same failed system a second time expecting a different result.

It won’t cause imbalances because right now everyone is teamed with the servers they would have been teamed with this week. The only change is each server is no longer rated. I think this is good and here’s why.

Up until the change to paid transfers servers would gain/lose guilds which caused massive imbalance. If you look at NA servers over the last few weeks you would have seen SBI fall from grace. When they hit T2, SoR got massive points for beating them BECAUSE SBI was ranked so much higher than them. This caused SoR to shoot right up the ladder gaining hundreds of points/week. Once a T1 server falls to T2 legitimately (they were unable to keep enough score to fend off a top T2 server), it takes many weeks to regain your position in T1, because you are fighting servers below your rank (points not ladder). It took BG nearly 8 weeks to push back into T1 after winning in T2 for 8 consecutive weeks. Why? Because the rating system said “You need to beat your opponent by much more since you are higher ranked”.

With the reset of points, servers will get proper points based upon beating teams of ‘equal’ rating. So now when you gain points against the other 2 servers they are true points, not scaled in any way. Now you can say “they aren’t equal”, but they are as close as we can get. It would have been a true disaster if they decided to completely randomize the match-ups.

What I cannot attest to is the actual Glicko values they use or if the system should be used at all. Glicko was designed as a way to rank an individual not a collective. While it was ingenious to look at a server as a collective ‘individual’, they didn’t take into consideration the impact guilds would have in the movement. In the grand scheme of things, individuals will come and go and the total population would be even, but when whole guilds move that can be devastating. How they missed this in a game called “Guild Wars”, I don’t know.

in WvW

Posted by: Dredrum.2563

Dredrum.2563

As it stands right now there is a t8 server moving up to t1 cause they winning by most points. The t1 servers JQ SoS and SoR all moving down cause its a close matchup. Next month is gonna be wacked out.

in WvW

Posted by: Sunspots.9861

Sunspots.9861

The secon week will be the worst, but after that things should tighten up pretty quickly. At least the first week is entertaining.

Auburn Skies – Retired- Ranger of [PiNK]
When wvw was still fun feat. [PiNK]

in WvW

Posted by: Wothan.4673

Wothan.4673

It’s seems Anet found the only way to kick VS of the T1 !

Nahtow – [SR] Soul Reapers
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: ghtchill.7613

ghtchill.7613

Stop this madness. Resets are getting done at the perfect time. Free transfers are locked. A clean slate is what every server needed. All this should’ve happened over 2 months to be honest. This is good thing. And if you read the millenium page, they do not have the proper algorithm from Anet, so those match ups are most likely incorrect.

Well I really don’t get why a reset was needed. But lets hope that those current match ups posted on millenium are just kittened up for the moment, because right now it has DH matched up in T2 against Kaineng and BG. If that holds up I have no idea why anyone from DH would want to play that match.

TC

in WvW

ghtchill.7613

Well I really don’t get why a reset was needed. But lets hope that those current match ups posted on millenium are just kittened up for the moment, because right now it has DH matched up in T2 against Kaineng and BG. If that holds up I have no idea why anyone from DH would want to play that match.

Edit: Unless of course Anet intends for loooooooooong queues to even things out? Personally I think they just kittened up.

TC

in WvW

Posted by: Tala.7638

Tala.7638

Either way, it will iron out faster bec all of our ratings are getting reset. We will hit equilibrium faster this way. Do the math. Even if they keep everything the same and just reset rating.

Talaysteria/Talas Cap/Talarenth
THE Mystic Plumbers [LUCK]
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

in WvW

Posted by: inbetween.5623

inbetween.5623

Premature thread. Take a look at the scores, and match-ups arent nearly as close as you think. IN fact some of them have been decided already just by the performances during offhours. For what its worth, virtually all matches are close a few hours after reset. It is reset after all and numbers are relatively equal. By weeks end, Anets decision will have been justified.

in WvW

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

So the tier 9 and 8 winners will go straight to tier 1 after winning their blowout matches after this week? Hmm, how does this reset help anything other than adding another month of unbalanced matchups?

All is vain.

in WvW

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

So the tier 9 and 8 winners will go straight to tier 1 after winning their blowout matches after this week? Hmm, how does this reset help anything other than adding another month of unbalanced matchups?

For example Sorrows Furnace did not belong in T8. They grossly outnumber the other two servers but with the ratings points the way they were no matter how big the blowout the couldn’t move out of the tier. Sure the next few weeks will be unbalanced as they also don’t belong in tier1, but next week they will lose by a large margin and move down somewhere closer to where they belong.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in WvW

Posted by: Vodka.3958

Vodka.3958

Consider the reset GW2: W3 Season 2

Commander [ICoa] Hollywood Fiend
Primal Emperor of Imperial Coalition
imperialcoalition.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

If they ARE “finding their rank”, then surely they can find it again. If a good server gets dropped because of a “comparatively low” showing, surely it will rise again with no trouble.

GW1 reset its guild rankings periodically, why consider this any different?

in WvW

Posted by: Bones.5762

Bones.5762

poor anvil’s rock being stuck with SoS and SoR.

Will you help me move?

in WvW

ghtchill.7613

poor anvil’s rock being stuck with SoS and SoR.

Oh…my….ouchie!

TC

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

:(
I hope that doesn’t happen…

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

Go go go Anvil Rock, cause an upset and beat the both of them

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

in WvW

ghtchill.7613

Latest millenium match up has Kaineng in T1 with Ebay and Sorrows Furnace. Maybe not so bad…we get to see Ebay again. I am sure they will be thrilled…

Oh well, it will be interesting to see where this all ends up.

TC

in WvW

Posted by: Laii.2780

Laii.2780

I like how right when the servers start to settle and be mostly ‘even’, they’re all nopnopnop reset T.T. Heres to atleast two more weeks kitten matchups~

[CERN] ~ WAR/Necro^ O ^)/!

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Premature thread. Take a look at the scores, and match-ups arent nearly as close as you think. IN fact some of them have been decided already just by the performances during offhours. For what its worth, virtually all matches are close a few hours after reset. It is reset after all and numbers are relatively equal. By weeks end, Anets decision will have been justified.

You truly do not understand how the Glicko-2 system works. Normally it takes into account several scores from past weeks to set the rating (which has the function of smoothing out the effects of individual weeks), but now it only has the 1500 point reference to work against. Take a look at the projected matchups (http://mos.millenium.org/matchups#NA) for next week to see how screwed up your comment is.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: inbetween.5623

inbetween.5623

You truly do not understand how the Glicko-2 system works. Normally it takes into account several scores from past weeks to set the rating (which has the function of smoothing out the effects of individual weeks), but now it only has the 1500 point reference to work against. Take a look at the projected matchups (http://mos.millenium.org/matchups#NA) for next week to see how screwed up your comment is.

I understand EXACTLY how it works. Even the math behind it. WHat you dont understand is my comment was directed at the person who claimed the matchups were find a nice equal balance when it is slowly proving to be anything but outside 3 or 4 tiers.
What you fail you understand is that the ratings is flawed. Take Tier 8 for example and the disparity between tier 7 and tier 8 and the fact that had these ratings not been reset, it would takes months for any tier 8 server to rise to tier 7 due to the fact that the rating differential between the best tier 8 server and the two others is huge. And the rating difference between the best tier 8 server and the worst tier 7 server is also huge.
In the current system that server (Sorrows Furnace) will need to continue winning for months on end (and by blow-outs no less) against their lesser opponents to even sniff a chance at going up. Of course this means tier 8 will be forever unbalanced. Sorrows Furnace cannot rise enough rankings fast enough, and hell even if they win if they dont win by enoguh they could lose ratings points.

So tell me again what i dont understand?
You jump to conclusions as if the projected matchups are gospel when Anet itself hasnt announced what rating system theyll be using of if some newer form of adjustment is being made. It could be the same it might not be. The site itself says its not accurate.
If anything you dont understand how glicko works. And no i do not play in tier 8, but you overlook the entire grand scheme of ratings and act as if it only applies to the top 2 or 3 tiers.

And no, it does NOT taking into account SEVERAL scores from past weeks, since in this format, the ratings are calculated on a weekly basis on conclusion on the match, meaning it is always up to date, needing the score of only the most recent score.

(edited by inbetween.5623)