"Regional Cup" instead of a "League" for S3

in WvW

Posted by: Taisia.2813

Taisia.2813

Hello guys, I’m pretty sure this has been brought up before but I cannot even imagine how exciting it would be to have a WvW cup with elimination groups, quarter finals, semi finals and one glorious final match… It would mean all realms would put in their best efforts in cutthroat matches. It would be a game changer in my opinion. The ones eliminated by being last in the finals can still compete for best placement amongst themselves etc.

We have 27 realms in Europe, 24 in USA, more than enough teams to construct a Regional Cup. With the World Cup coming up, we could have our own cup in Tyria Winners can even get a cup finisher that they can display…

What would you say to such an approach to the upcoming season?

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

We pretty much already know who gonna win in this structure: One of the top 3.

All other servers don’t have even a reason to show up.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

Stack to win. Just like Season 2.

Soccer may be one of the most boring sports in existence, but at least the teams have even numbers.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

in WvW

Taisia.2813

See I don’t necessarily agree with this. In world cups, we see again and again surprise teams making their way to the top and sometimes even winning. The stakes and the excitement of getting to the next stage make people perform beyond their usual. I am sure of course the top realms will be forces to be reckoned with but it doesn’t mean the others will throw the towel.

The league system actually cause this early onset of fatigue with the end results becoming clear very early on. In a cup, anything can happen any time. People can rally their realms to perform beyond expectations..

In any case my 2c.

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

Soccer may be one of the most boring sports in existence, but at least the teams have even numbers.

I’m not sure if you are trolling, because I agree with your first point. But soccer is boring????

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

See I don’t necessarily agree with this. In world cups, we see again and again surprise teams making their way to the top and sometimes even winning. The stakes and the excitement of getting to the next stage make people perform beyond their usual. I am sure of course the top realms will be forces to be reckoned with but it doesn’t mean the others will throw the towel.

The league system actually cause this early onset of fatigue with the end results becoming clear very early on. In a cup, anything can happen any time. People can rally their realms to perform beyond expectations..

In any case my 2c.

Well, sports aren’t decided by coverage… You can’t say who’s the winner before the match.

Here on WvW, unfortunely, you can…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I’m not sure if you are trolling, because I agree with your first point. But soccer is boring????

Yep, soccer is boring. Rugby is more interesting

Back on topic. A regional cup, though interesting in concept, might not work very well when you consider that you have residents of the Americas who play in EU, EU players in the Americas, Oceanic players in both. I’d say it ends up boiling down to coverage again. Nothing will work unless the whole PPT gets reworked, or better still replaced.

in WvW

thaooo.5320

Because I disagree with your opinion I’m a troll? Good one bro.

But I’ll explain my opinion.

From childrens leagues all the way up to adult leagues, even the World Cup, soccer requires one skill to play (foot skill) and one aspect of athleticism to play (cardio endurance). This is an undisputed fact. The elite level is a mastery of foot skill, and having astounding cardio endurance. This doesn’t appeal to me.

I prefer sports that utilize more than one skill, or sports that utilize more than one aspect of athleticism. And I especially love sports that combine both of these.

Soccer does not provide that for me.

Then there is the agonizingly low scoring, for me this is a yawn fest. I know some people like watching paint dry, but not me.

The action is also mostly slow paced, and I don’t find that exciting.

Then there is the rampant injury faking, and really pansy attitudes in general. For me, this is disgusting to watch. Also, other countries soccer players complain that “Australia is too rough”, lol!!!! How sad.

Some people grew up in a country where soccer is the only sport played there. For them, this is all they know, and that’s why they love it so much.

I grew up in Australia, playing and watching our national sport, which utilizes all areas of skill, and all areas of athleticism. Amongst playing and watching a wide variety of other sports.

The elite level of our national sport requires every player on the field to be an absolute master of hand, foot and body skills, as well as every single area of athleticism in order to be successful. No other sport in the world demands this much from every single player. There’s also no pansy attitudes, and a tonne of courage and bravery. And no padding.

That being said, it isn’t the only sport I like. I love watching tennis, all martial arts, American football, rugby, ice hockey, snow boarding, basketball, volleyball, and plenty others.

Cricket? I like 20-20, but find ‘one day matches’ and ‘test matches’ to be boring.

After watching and participating in many different sports, the simplicity of soccer does not appeal to me.

TL;dr

I find soccer boring because I was born in Australia, the sport crazy nation.

ALL IS VAIN.

(edited by thaooo.5320)

in WvW

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Because I disagree with your opinion I’m a troll? Good one bro.

But I’ll explain my opinion.

From childrens leagues all the way up to adult leagues, even the World Cup, soccer requires one skill to play (foot skill) and one aspect of athleticism to play (cardio endurance). This is an undisputed fact. The elite level is a mastery of foot skill, and having astounding cardio endurance. This doesn’t appeal to me.

I prefer sports that utilize more than one skill, or sports that utilize more than one aspect of athleticism. And I especially love sports that combine both of these.

Soccer does not provide that for me.

Then there is the agonizingly low scoring, for me this is a yawn fest. I know some people like watching paint dry, but not me.

The action is also mostly slow paced, and I don’t find that exciting.

Then there is the rampant injury faking, and really pansy attitudes in general. For me, this is disgusting to watch. Also, other countries soccer players complain that “Australia is too rough”, lol!!!! How sad.

Some people grew up in a country where soccer is the only sport played there. For them, this is all they know, and that’s why they love it so much.

I grew up in Australia, playing and watching our national sport, which utilizes all areas of skill, and all areas of athleticism. Amongst playing and watching a wide variety of other sports.

The elite level of our national sport requires every player on the field to be an absolute master of hand, foot and body skills, as well as every single area of athleticism in order to be successful. No other sport in the world demands this much from every single player. There’s also no pansy attitudes, and a tonne of courage and bravery. And no padding.

That being said, it isn’t the only sport I like. I love watching tennis, all martial arts, American football, rugby, ice hockey, snow boarding, basketball, volleyball, and plenty others.

Cricket? I like 20-20, but find ‘one day matches’ and ‘test matches’ to be boring.

After watching and participating in many different sports, the simplicity of soccer does not appeal to me.

TL;dr

I find soccer boring because I was born in Australia, the sport crazy nation.

As an Australian myself, I salute you and the mighty sport that is rugby (although I’m not much of a sports fan, still rugby > soccer).

This isn’t important to me but, footy = league, union or aussie rules? ;p

in WvW

thaooo.5320

I’m from Melbourne, so Aussie rules, but I still love both union and league.

ALL IS VAIN.

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Lets follow Tasmanian footy rules. Oh wait….

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Taisia.2813

Somehow you turned this into a discussion about football, gg…

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Somehow you turned this into a discussion about football, gg…

Add in relics a la DAoC (footballs), and then we can talk…

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

This might actually work.

They could make the matches 3 days instead of a week. Fri. – Mon. is the tournament. M – Fri back to regular season play to prevent burnout.

And it might not be too easy to predict who will win – you always have the dreaded double team to consider.

I think it’d be great fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Buzzcrave.6197

Buzzcrave.6197

This is dumb as kitten. Just another scheme for people to dish out their money to transfer and make anet rich while killing off all other servers except for the top 3.

Sorry but are you an anet staff? Haven’t you killed wvw enough to fill your pocket?

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

See I don’t necessarily agree with this. In world cups, we see again and again surprise teams making their way to the top and sometimes even winning.

Has there ever been a world cup where a team with 3 people playing beat a team with 11 people playing? If not, then your point is invalid in terms of its application to GW2 WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

[quote=4104947;Taisia.2813:]