Remove Ascended from WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: Bastien.1645

Bastien.1645

I believe Ascended gear should be removed from PvP. It creates the typical “Grind to Win” scenario that is so common in other MMO/Games.

I feel that Arena Net created an amazing PvP game with Guild Wars 1 and they should stick to how things were run. I also predict a very certain power creep for Melee classes like Warriors/Thiefs who benefit so much from weapon power as opposed to classes like Mesmers/Necromancers, this will create a distinct imbalance between these classes that will be compensated by 1) Nerfing the Warrior/Thief/Guardian/Ranger and effectively screwing players who don’t have Ascended armor on these characters; OR 2) Not nerfing them and creating a huge gap in power between “Physical DPS” classes and “Magic” users.

WvWvW players like to PvP, but any PvP’er will do everything in their power to achieve an advantage over the enemy, the important thing for most PvP players is winning (yes they have fun too but winning is the most important), pretty soon we will have fully ascended players in WvWvW which will make it unplayable for people who don’t have hundreds of hours to dedicate to a single character in order to equip them with full ascended armor, I believe the weapons cost 200g each, the trinkets/accessories using Laurels would take almost a year to get and the back piece is not even available, and that’s assuming you do your daily every single day. Fractals should not be required to play PvP competitively.

WvWvW players already have to spend ~50+g on Runes + exotics to remain competitive, I believe that’s enough as you should naturally accumulate that gold levelling your character and doing a few dungeons along the way, a lot of people will say ascended armour makes no difference but if we assume both zergs are of equal skill, the zerg that is fully ascended will always beat the non ascended zerg that has 5-10% less stats, it’s the same thing as putting a level 80 zerg vs a upleveled zerg, which zerg do you think will win? And don’t get me started on roaming/sniping groups fully ascended vs non ascended people, in the law of averages, we have to assume everyone is at the same skill level so the person who is better geared will win. Could a pro player beat a fully ascended “newb”? Of course, but pro players a very rare and they don’t make up the average WvWvW in our realm. Heck, my realm is full of PvE players (Desolation) so if anything Ascended gear is awesome as the sheer power of these people will carry me but I still believe these items should not be implemented in this game mode.

Solution: It’s simple, just scale Ascended gear to Exotic stat level upon entering a Borderland. I believe fair play should be encouraged and “grind to win/pay to win” (crafting) should not be encourage or allowed in PvP, this is not World of Warcraft and I believe the fair play/balanced gear model from Guild Wars 1 was perfect and it should be encouraged not scrapped. If I wanted to go “3 Shot noobs with overpowered gear” I’d go back to WoW and grind RBGs to 2200.

Regards,
Bastien

in WvW

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Dis gon be good.

/popcorn

in WvW

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

If you do the math using the calculators, statistically the difference on a berserker gear (weapon + trinkets) ascended vs exotics is ~ 6%. in Condition gears the difference is way less!

IMO the difference is quite neglectable for the rage we see in the forums towards Ascended gear (i have full exotics and i do just fine).

I’m more worried about players don’t using any consumables that boosts way more the damage than the said gears!

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

in WvW

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If the law of averages makes us assume both groups have the same skill level, then the law of averages makes us assume both groups have equal amounts of ascended gear.

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

If the law of averages makes us assume both groups have the same skill level, then the law of averages makes us assume both groups have equal amounts of ascended gear.

Then it’s official.

Ascended Gear = Skill.

You’ve heard it right here folks!

in WvW

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

I’d go with just the first 2 words.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

If you do the math using the calculators, statistically the difference on a berserker gear (weapon + trinkets) ascended vs exotics is ~ 6%. in Condition gears the difference is way less!

And others have calculated the difference to around 13% which is significant.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: BalloonShark.6739

BalloonShark.6739

only if you’re on full berzerker

in WvW

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

IMO the difference is quite neglectable for the rage we see in the forums towards Ascended gear (i have full exotics and i do just fine).

I’m more worried about players don’t using any consumables that boosts way more the damage than the said gears!

/cheers

That math is wrong unless you’re using old numbers (ie before the weapons) and with ascended armor around the corner (it’s been data mined) full ascend vs exo disparity is going to increase further to approx 20%

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in WvW

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Ok so you want ascended removed from WvW? Well if thats the case then that also means Legendaries would have to be removed. What? Legendaries now have stats of ascended weapons so by your own statement of “stats” disparity as your argument for ascended removel, they (legendary) would have to be removed also.

But what is all this hate of ascended tier? Its one tier, for what will be the final BiS stats. Legendary weapons are simple to attain, so much so I have 3 of them and almost enough mats for a 4th.

Yes for a new armor tier that means its 6 items per character, which will require a fair bit of time for every char, unless Anet takes that in to consideration and makes armor have a lower mats requirement.

But it still begs the question as to why people are fine with legendaries needing boatloads of playtime and mats to craft, but are against a tier with a playtime/mats requirement lower than legendary.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

in WvW

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

But it still begs the question as to why people are fine with legendaries needing boatloads of playtime and mats to craft, but are against a tier with a playtime/mats requirement lower than legendary.

It does if you remember that Legendary weapons were supposed to be prestige cosmetics, not perma-BiS gear. That has gone out of the window along with a lot of other gear grind principles.

in WvW

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

I’m for it. People with a lot of free time don’t need a stat handicap (which is another way to look at ascended gear- a handicap in your favor). They have enough time to practice.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

in WvW

Lexandro.1456

It does if you remember that Legendary weapons were supposed to be prestige cosmetics, not perma-BiS gear. That has gone out of the window along with a lot of other gear grind principles.

Nope, still makes no sense to me. The grind is fine for something that had zero effect on gameplay? Infact that makes even less sense to me.

in WvW

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

Nope, still makes no sense to me. The grind is fine for something that had zero effect on gameplay? Infact that makes even less sense to me.

Seriously? Not sure if serious or troll. Go play gw1 and try again.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

in WvW

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I have to agree with the OP on this one. Personally I love WvWvW but i am not a PvP person and i do not want to grind out a full set of scended weapons or armor (read: i have NO ascended gear). I want to help my world win but if i’m going up against players who are statistically outgunning me then maybe i will just not participate.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

in WvW

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

That’s how the game was marketed – skill > time, anti-grind, max stats for everyone at level 80, time investment for cosmetic rather than power rewards etc. etc. Obviously not the case now, but that’s where the acceptance of Legendaries comes from, because they were a high level prestige cosmetic reward.

in WvW

Posted by: Ergo Proxy.6219

Ergo Proxy.6219

We should also ban non competitive classes from WvW as well. I mean whats worse than getting stomped by that enemy zerg with ascended gear? Getting stomped over and over again because some people don’t understand classes like ranger have no value in WvW.

in WvW

Lexandro.1456

Seriously? Not sure if serious or troll. Go play gw1 and try again.

Nice try but I played GW1 for 6 years. I didnt grind for any skins, infact I got all my prefered skins in GW1 from playing the game with friends and having fun rather than grinding for what some foolishly considered “leet”. And fyi, there was plenty of grind in GW1 for stuff that did have an effect on gameplay such as title ranks.

in WvW

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

That’d be a fine first step, but it’s a little too late. I don’t really care about nor play WvW anymore. I only occasionally log in to follow a zerg when my guild pressures me into it.

Things they’d have to do to get me back:

1. As gear with exotic stats for WvW. Maybe allow them to change between certain stats or something to make them worthwhile.

2. Guard Leech/Applied Fortitude dead.

3. Bloodlust buff killed and tossed in a river.

In other words, I’d have better luck waiting for another game. Which is what I’m doing.

in WvW

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

/cheers

That math is wrong unless you’re using old numbers (ie before the weapons) and with ascended armor around the corner (it’s been data mined) full ascend vs exo disparity is going to increase further to approx 20%

Can you provide a link with the math that sustains your claim?

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

in WvW

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

/cheers

every ascended piece except for weapon sits at 5% better stats. Weapon sits at 8% I believe because like you correctly point out the weapon gives a bigger advantage due to the weapon damage itself.

over 12 items that brings the overall stat increase to 6%

Going with what OP said, there are far worst things than this, should we remove siege weapons? consumables? some builds? an Ele and a mesmer can boost the damage of 5 warriors by 80% using might boons and time warp for example do we need to remove those too?

Its been said a lot of times WvW isnt balanced and never will worrying about a 6% difference isnt important because at the end of the day it doesnt matter. Lets not forget that WvW isnt about singular engagements, its about capturing and holding points and that 6% difference isnt going to affect that in the least.

in WvW

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Exotic players have statistical advantages over uplevels, and ascended players have statistical advantages over exotic players. Wealthy players are able to afford more siege and consumables than poor players. All of these things require a grind in the pve world and all of these things put certain players at either an advantage or disadvantage. It’s the nature of WvW.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

/cheers

Arguing that ascended gear already doesn’t matter isn’t a very good argument against making it so ascended gear doesn’t matter.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in WvW

Lexandro.1456

Thats a good point; WvW will never be a “fair” fight, because its not designed to be. sPvP is where the “fair” and “balanced” combat is supposed to take place. WvW is just a big sandbox for people to run around in.

in WvW

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

In gw1 (and gw2 was said to follow the same principle) players were able to reach max level cap fairly quickly and then able to get best stat gear pretty easily. This was very true with exotics. It can be argued either way about ascended rings/amulets/earings if they are “easy” to obtain (as soon as you look at alts/different builds it’s pretty easy to see that they become “hard”, ie taking a long amount of time).

Ascended weapons took this a leap further requiring massive amounts of materials (compared to exotics) and additional time gates.

People grind for the “prestige” of having a legendary (or they like long term goals, or whatever the reason). When they had exotic stats, people still wanted them despite that you could get an exotic weapon for <2g.

What role do ascended weapons play at all in the game? Nothing.

1) People already say that you can do all PvE content in rares (which you can), so ascended weapons (the ~6%-12% boost) do nothing other than make things “easier.”

2) If content comes out that is actually balanced around ascended gear (besides agony resistance) then you are punishing a large amount of players who hate crafting/don’t have that kind of money to sink into crafting/are not lucky enough to get a drop/etc.

To the OP

While I only really started giving any effort into WvW because of season 1, I agree completely. While my drops in WvW have been kitten good compared to my normal world boss runs, the average WvW person can’t have too much gold for the mats/ectos/etc. required for crafting an ascended weapon, let alone crafting up to 500. While WvW was always intended to never really be balanced (upscaling and what not) I don’t see why another imbalance (and an expensive one at that) should be kept in.

in WvW

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

… I believe the weapons cost 200g each, the trinkets/accessories using Laurels would take almost a year to get and the back piece is not even available, and that’s assuming you do your daily every single day. Fractals should not be required to play PvP competitively.

Hugely exaggerated on about every point, which makes it hard to take your post seriously to begin with. While you do have a point in trying to discuss the effects of ascended gear on wvw, please go get your facts straight before doing so.

Neither is crafting ascended weapons that outrageously expensive, nor does it take a year to get ascended pieces for one character. Ascended back pieces are available, even though restricted to a specific type of content currently.

in WvW

Lexandro.1456

What role do ascended weapons play at all in the game? Nothing.

1) People already say that you can do all PvE content in rares (which you can), so ascended weapons (the ~6%-12% boost) do nothing other than make things “easier.”

2) If content comes out that is actually balanced around ascended gear (besides agony resistance) then you are punishing a large amount of players who hate crafting/don’t have that kind of money to sink into crafting/are not lucky enough to get a drop/etc.

This is exactly what happened in GW1. People are far to blinded by rose tinted glasses. Later title ranks in GW1 were vertical progression, for content specifically balanced around those ranks. And we have to PAY for it.

And its not a punishment, and never will be to have extra content added for free.

(edited by Lexandro.1456)

in WvW

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

/cheers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

in WvW

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Since hardcore WvWers are such top tier pvp players it won’t make any difference as they should have no problem dumpstering the ascended pve bads who venture into their game-mode, right?

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I agree with Inculpatus. Server A will obtain ascended at probably the same rate that Server B and Server C does.

A player can’t see the gear of the player next to him and will never know if he’s been defeated by skill or stats. For all you know you could have just been outplayed by a player in greens who dodged your large attacks. With transmutes being available, you may never know that a player is wielding ascended weapons.

Zergs, well…I have indeed survived being upleveled, so to me stats actually mean less and less the larger the zerg in my book.

Roaming, hmmm. WvW has never been balanced so nothing new here either. I’ve roamed with nothing but exotics and will continue to do so on characters who have no ascended. Win or lose it’s about the fight for me and not the gear.

If I want balanced pvp I join Spvp. Simple as that.

As far as time and mats to get ascended, you can get everything you need from WvW. The only thing you will get at a slower rate so far is the emp fragments and dragonite ore so a tiny bit of pve is required to speed things up. That’s if you are doing it yourself and not buying deldrimor steel and spiritwood planks.

Ascended armor is a wait and see for me because we have no idea how that will play out and what will be required numbers wise. I foresee a lower amount of mats needed as you will probably need to craft 6 pieces. Hopefully one set will equal the amount of time needed to craft one ascended weapon.

Op, you do know that you don’t need to do fractals for an ascended backpiece right? They can be crafted. I know many of my guildies have chosen that route because they don’t like fractals.

The only issues I have had with the introduction of ascended items have been the possibility of power creep, the time gating and the fixed stats removing an entire crafting line….jewel crafting as we have seen with both weapons and trinkets. Glad sigils weren’t fixed/removed and am optimistic about runes. Otherwise this is a non issue for me.

in WvW

Bastien.1645

… I believe the weapons cost 200g each, the trinkets/accessories using Laurels would take almost a year to get and the back piece is not even available, and that’s assuming you do your daily every single day. Fractals should not be required to play PvP competitively.

Hugely exaggerated on about every point, which makes it hard to take your post seriously to begin with. While you do have a point in trying to discuss the effects of ascended gear on wvw, please go get your facts straight before doing so.

Neither is crafting ascended weapons that outrageously expensive, nor does it take a year to get ascended pieces for one character. Ascended back pieces are available, even though restricted to a specific type of content currently.

Let’s see…

Amulet: 30 Laurels x 1
Rings: 35 Laurens ea x 2
Accessories: 40 Laurels + 50 Ecto x 2

I count 180 Laurels, let’s assume you have a life and don’t play every single day of the year because you know, god forbid people have a job/family, it will probably take you 2/3 of a year just to get the Amulet, Accessories and Rings on 1 character.

With regards to the weapons being 200g, I don’t know if that’s true or not but that’s what most people in these forums say, I have 0 intention of getting them so I don’t know if that’s true or not but anything more then 25-50g for a single weapon I would consider it to be outside the reach of someone who plays PvP, most classes need at the very minimum 4 weapons to do PvP so unless you’re buying gems > gold I really doubt most WvWvW players can afford it just doing world vs world.

Back piece: Can you even get this one without doing fractals?

I only have 1 ascended piece which is the amulet so please feel free to correct me and let me know where I exaggerate my point?

in WvW

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

WvW issues aside, I am 100% for this. Taking time to gather materials and put together a weapon that makes things easier in PvE is just fine as a goal. I’ve seen multiple comments over the past year about the game not requiring exotics at all. I got 4 characters to level 80 with just rares and greens. Exotics were the “next step” goal once I got to 80. Gather mats or grind gold to make or buy them. Some of my 80’s are still not 100% exotic (trinkets are Mithril). Ascended gear is the next goal for making PvE life easier, even though it’s not by much right now.

Arenanet brought the forum rage on themselves by going with the new tier of stats. I believe what happened was they realized they messed up with Legendary weapon crafting, but instead of creating a new tier of appearance items with a new crafting system, they went the cheap route and decided to go with the easy path. Just change a few numbers and reuse existing code (infusions, etc.).

Carrying a name like “Ascended” gives many people the impression that something about said weapon needs to be awesome. Something that breaks through to stand above the rest. Instead of investing a years worth of time into creating what would effectively be a whole new line of Legendary weapons, Anet went with better stats*. The results have been seen on the forums since then.

• this is based on the assumption that Anet didn’t have Ascended gear planned from the start, which is something that has been claimed as well
Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in WvW

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I find it hilarious, really, that people are claiming ascended gear doesn’t matter and won’t really make an impact in WvW. What about the words “statistical advantage” do you people not understand?

If you want to be a valuable WvW team player, you’re going to do everything you can to help your team. And that includes grinding out full ascended.

in WvW

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

WvW is intended to be unbalanced.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in WvW

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

WvW issues aside, I am 100% for this. Taking time to gather materials and put together a weapon that makes things easier in PvE is just fine as a goal. I’ve seen multiple comments over the past year about the game not requiring exotics at all. I got 4 characters to level 80 with just rares and greens. Exotics were the “next step” goal once I got to 80. Gather mats or grind gold to make or buy them. Some of my 80’s are still not 100% exotic (trinkets are Mithril). Ascended gear is the next goal for making PvE life easier, even though it’s not by much right now.

Arenanet brought the forum rage on themselves by going with the new tier of stats. I believe what happened was they realized they messed up with Legendary weapon crafting, but instead of creating a new tier of appearance items with a new crafting system, they went the cheap route and decided to go with the easy path. Just change a few numbers and reuse existing code (infusions, etc.).

Carrying a name like “Ascended” gives many people the impression that something about said weapon needs to be awesome. Something that breaks through to stand above the rest. Instead of investing a years worth of time into creating what would effectively be a whole new line of Legendary weapons, Anet went with better stats*. The results have been seen on the forums since then.

• this is based on the assumption that Anet didn’t have Ascended gear planned from the start, which is something that has been claimed as well

Well I’m not saying I’m against things being easier per say. But it still goes against the principle of easily obtained best stat gear and then grind for skins. If ascended gear had the same stats as exotics (and maybe keep all the extra stat combos) and just had an infusion slot for AR then I think there would have been a lot less complaining. Personally I never felt the grind/power creep from all of the trinkets because they were spaced far enough apart (plus besides the trinkets there isn’t much to spend laurels on), but looking back I can see them being problematic (especially for alts/different builds).

Heck when leveling up my alts, they only get better gear when they get it from a drop, so I have no problem having them fight in 20+ lower level gear.

in WvW

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Ascended gear in WvW is irrelevant. You will not notice the difference, especially when you consider the other bigger variables, such as orb buff, party buffs and blob size

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

Ascended gear in WvW is irrelevant. You will not notice the difference, especially when you consider the other bigger variables, such as orb buff, party buffs and blob size

If it’s irrelevant then what’s wrong with making it really irrelevant and disallowing it in WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

So your saying disable all the gear I use (which includes 6 ascended trinkets and 4 ascended weapons). Because what, crafting is too complicated for you? What the hell? Get a grip on yourself.

This is a game and you play it how it’s supposed to be played.

in WvW

Galen Grey.4709

Let’s see…

I count 180 Laurels, let’s assume you have a life and don’t play every single day of the year because you know, god forbid people have a job/family, it will probably take you 2/3 of a year just to get the Amulet, Accessories and Rings on 1 character.

With regards to the weapons being 200g, I don’t know if that’s true or not but that’s what most people in these forums say, I have 0 intention of getting them so I don’t know if that’s true or not but anything more then 25-50g for a single weapon I would consider it to be outside the reach of someone who plays PvP, most classes need at the very minimum 4 weapons to do PvP so unless you’re buying gems > gold I really doubt most WvWvW players can afford it just doing world vs world.

I only have 1 ascended piece which is the amulet so please feel free to correct me and let me know where I exaggerate my point?

You can make 40 laurels in a month if you factor in dailies but if like you suggest you only play 75% of the time and thus miss a week out of every month provided you finish the monthly in the remaining 21 days it will take you 6 months not a year.

Not only that but you can also use guild commendations to buy some of the stuff or WvW badges and reduce the 6 months by much more then that.

As for crafting the weapon you dont even need to spend 25g just gather the mats yourself instead of buying them. it will take longer of course but you dont have to spend any of your gold except to buy some of the materials that are only available from a vendor. shouldnt cost more then 5g but i might be wrong

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

So your saying disable all the gear I use (which includes 6 ascended trinkets and 4 ascended weapons). Because what, crafting is too complicated for you? What the hell? Get a grip on yourself.

This is a game and you play it how it’s supposed to be played.

What exactly do you find so offensive about evening out the playing field?

As for crafting that garbage? I have better things to do than brainlessly running champ trains for the required mats. Stunning, engaging gameplay right there LOL!

in WvW

Lexandro.1456

All I hear is a lot of QQ from people who either dont want to craft an ascended item or dont have one yet.

Hey why dont we just remove ALL stats/buffs/gear/skills/traits/class mechanics from WvW and have everyone run around in underwear with a 1dps dagger and nothing else. I mean it would be balanced right? Everything else is irrelevant right?

Fact is ascended is here to stay. No amount of griping or forum threads or post is going to get rid of them now. Get with the program and move on already.

(edited by Lexandro.1456)

in WvW

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

@Bastian Dear OP, one thing I’d like to remind you is that if you further nerf Ranger’s Power Scaling (which is no doubt the worst of all classes if you take quick look, far worse than your Necro/Mesmer) then Warrior with Berserkee Gear, standing and not moving will overheal all our bows. Well, he might get a scratch from sword, but it may take a…while. At the same time, our pets, our source of damage, will run back and forth, trying to bite your heel with and amazing, 1/2 damage of regular Phantasm iDuellist.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in WvW

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

Let’s see…

[snip]

As a wvw player, you should be aware that you can pay for ascended jewelry partially with badges.

Amulet: 20 laurels + 250 badges
Rings: 25 laurels + 250 badges

No option for earrings yet. I opted for keeping exotic earrings on chars which had them when ascended was introduced, as the stat difference on these two pieces from exotic to ascended is very small.

That will bring your laurel cost per character down to 70, which would take a little less than two months assuming you do the dailies and monthlies.

The backpiece you can indeed only get with visiting fractals, but you only need to do them until you get a vial of condensed mist drop, which is rare but not outrageously so. After that you can craft it with ectos, T6 mats and skill points.

Finally, about weapon crafting – I have leveled all 3 crafting professions up to 500, and crafted two weapons so far. I had more gold when done with leveling than when I started, and I do not play the TP nor do I farm anything. Being a bit patient and working out how to level those crafts made all the difference, as opposed to having to level it right now and buying everything off the TP.

in WvW

Galen Grey.4709

I find it hilarious, really, that people are claiming ascended gear doesn’t matter and won’t really make an impact in WvW. What about the words “statistical advantage” do you people not understand?

If you want to be a valuable WvW team player, you’re going to do everything you can to help your team. And that includes grinding out full ascended.

No you dont do everything you can to help your team you do the best you’re able to offer. Do you give consumables to all members of your teams? do you play a mesmer so you can cast time warp or an ele to ensure they’re always have stacks of might? do you use your real life money to buy enough siege to ensure every member of your team has a golem if they need one or an other siege weapon?
doing everything is impossible and even if you did what is the best thing to do is equally subjective.

If you’re willing to grind out full ascended gear then great do that but if you dont feel like the effort it doesnt mean you’re letting down your team just as much as not buying a golem for each member of your team istn really letting anyone down.

in WvW

Bastien.1645

Let’s see…

You can make 40 laurels in a month if you factor in dailies but if like you suggest you only play 75% of the time and thus miss a week out of every month provided you finish the monthly in the remaining 21 days it will take you 6 months not a year.

Not only that but you can also use guild commendations to buy some of the stuff or WvW badges and reduce the 6 months by much more then that.

As for crafting the weapon you dont even need to spend 25g just gather the mats yourself instead of buying them. it will take longer of course but you dont have to spend any of your gold except to buy some of the materials that are only available from a vendor. shouldnt cost more then 5g but i might be wrong

Can you get guild commendations by doing WvWvW?

The badges don’t make much of a difference, it’s only 5 laurels on the amulet and 0 difference with the other items.

Also whether you gather the mats or craft them ,you are still “buying” them, you either buy them with time or you buy them with gold, either way you are buying them, I don’t know where people get this impression of “I gathered the mats so it was free”, time is your most precious commodity by far and that doesn’t just apply in guild wars, it applies to every thing in life.

in WvW

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

If it’s irrelevant then what’s wrong with making it really irrelevant and disallowing it in WvW?

because the effort to code all that is not worth it? Let alone all the people who invested badges/laurels for ascended gear. We want to shaft those people?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Well, there are multiple reasons people say that.

For one, Ascended gear or not, you’re still not gonna do crap against a door or a wall without siege. If you look at the damage numbers, the damage a regular ram deals without any rank-related skills far outdoes a vast number of players hitting the same door.

For two, Ascended gear or not, if you’re significantly outnumbers, you’re still going to lose. Doesn’t matter if you have 20% more damage if your enemy has 50% more people.

All these arguments for removing Ascended one way or another always present a situation where you have equal numbers and equal skill, with one side having all Exotics and the other having all Ascended. Well how freaking often would something like that happen? Pretty much never, unless you’re talking about GvG. And let’s be honest, if you wanted to balance WvW around GvG, you might as well balance sPvP on dueling, equally ridiculous. Oh and your “skill” means nothing against siege equipment.

Because that will kitten off everyone who plays WvW and has gotten Ascended equipment.

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

All I hear is a lot of QQ from people who either dont want to craft an ascended item and dont have one yet.

Hey why dont we just remove ALL stats/buffs/gear/skills/traits/class mechanics from WvW and have everyone run around in underwear with a 1dps dagger and nothing else. I mean it would be balanced right? Everything else is irrelevant right?

Fact is ascended is here to stay. No amount of griping or forum threads or post is going to get rid of them now. Get with the program and move on already.

Because the program is kitten. It’s terrible. Ascended gear is a hack stop-gap measure to please a bunch of people who only play 1 build on 1 class at the expense of those of use who play multiple builds and / or multiple classes.

How is a bunch of people running around WvW is PVT armor any different that everyone running around in the underwear doing 1 DPS? Total lack of variety.

Variety is the spice of life. Ascended gear kills the variety

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in WvW

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Because WvW is GW2 version of openworld pvp which means…pve buddy. Maybe it would have been easier to just make WvW like spvp and everyone has exactly the same options at all times while not being able to level at all. Which means hey, if you want to do anything other than WvW down the road you will have to focus specifically on pve.

Spvp went down that road, why take away when you should be adding.

Face it, OP…you should just kill this thread as it will gain no traction. TBH, it doesn’t make sense to me, “yay…let’s make one set of gear inop”. WvW is not an arena/bg format like spvp is. 1yr in and you haven’t realized that yet?

in WvW

Galen Grey.4709

Can you get guild commendations by doing WvWvW?

The badges don’t make much of a difference, it’s only 5 laurels on the amulet and 0 difference with the other items.

Also whether you gather the mats or craft them ,you are still “buying” them, you either buy them with time or you buy them with gold, either way you are buying them, I don’t know where people get this impression of “I gathered the mats so it was free”, time is your most precious commodity by far and that doesn’t just apply in guild wars, it applies to every thing in life.

No you cannot get guild commendations by doing WvW, was just providing some alternatives for you if you’re having trouble with the current approach.

you actually save 10 laurels and not 5. and its amulet and rings and thus you’d save a total of 30 days.

I didnt say getting the materials will make it free, I said you dont have to use any of your gold. Besides currently the materials are ultra inflated price wise. 6s per ancient wood log ? in 30 minutes using 4 level 80 characters you can easily gather 144 logs thats like 9g… no activity in the game pays 9g for 30 mins of play so yeah it defintely makes a lot more sense to buy the mats using time rather then money right now. Actually the sensible thing is to gather the mats and sell them because like we’ve been saying having an ascended weapon is no big deal so might as well get the money now while the market is still gone crazy.