Remove aoe cap = wvw former glory

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Yep, its this ol’ argument. I think damaging skills should have twice the cap as control skills do, so for example meteor shower hitting 20 people and frozen ground hitting 40. By enforcing larger caps (making skills hit less people), you make people zerg up to compensate. There is a certain skill cap that maxes out with zerg vs zerg. Not so with small skill groups.

What inspired me to buy this game in the first place was seeing 5 elementalists fend off an entire zerg of about 10 times their size. Right now that is unimaginable, but believe me it happened. Why was this awesome? Precisely because it was chaotic, and CHAOS IS FUN.

Fairness is and will continue to ruin this game, mark my words. The players who do not understand this, will come to in time. Do not let their cries of woe be your doom. Allow them to experience chaos once again, and allow us to show them the way of the small team.

Open yourself to chaos, because as humans we stand at the threshold where the unknown becomes known, where chaos becomes courage. Remember the 300.

If none of that convinced you, witness kaleo.

I guess theres nothing quite as terrifying as success.

EDIT
Yes, lag. If the servers could handle it, would it be a worthwhile mechanic to have so that a smaller more organized force could have a shot at taking down the bigger force?
Assume retal is stripped or capped itself.
If you think its impossible for this game, what about another RvR type game? What conditions would have to be met?
EDIT
Assume all classes have their aoe capabilities buffed.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

So, how would you like your servers: well-done or extra crispy?

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

CHAOS IS FUN.

Sure until you’re standing still for 20s trying to fire off that aoe chaos.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Silly idea… op you should think combat scenarios though a bit more and you’ll see what a bad idea this is.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

What inspired me to buy this game in the first place was seeing 5 elementalists fend off an entire zerg of about 10 times their size. Right now that is unimaginable, but believe me it happened. Why was this awesome? Precisely because it was chaotic, and CHAOS IS FUN.

Agree, totally.

Capping AoE at 3 or 5 makes sense for PvP. But for WvW, hitting 5 out 40 in a Zerg is like scratching the surface, not even sure if AoE did any damages. This basically creates the current situation where population over powers skills.

This could be easily changed by increasing AoE caps in WvW and balancing them separetlly from PvP.

Fire Water Air
FA

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

from what i remember it an engine limit that why they where cap to 5 but 5 is a lot it just misleading to person who read it on paper like take Meteor Shower it hit 3 target pre meteor cast 24 on full cast so the cast so it hit really 72 people.

or if you want another example take Reaper of Grenth it hit 10 people pre second for 15 seconds means it hit 150 people

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

What inspired me to buy this game in the first place was seeing 5 elementalists fend off an entire zerg of about 10 times their size. Right now that is unimaginable, but believe me it happened.

Come on now…. you know exactly why this was possible when the game launched and impossible now. People were noobs back then. Zergs were filled with uplevels and people in masterwork gear. It was easy for an organized group to do anything back then. The player base is far more experienced now.

Oh and the 5 man aoe cap has always been here.

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

If said servers could handle the lowered caps?

How would you nay sayers nay my say for yay?

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Fay.2357

Wishing the servers could handle that load won’t make it so. The reality is that they can’t, so there’s no point in making threads complaining about the cap. The cap is first and foremost due to hardware limitations. Unless you’re hiding some new netcode and server stacks under your pillow, that’s not likely to change any time soon.

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Agree, totally.

Capping AoE at 3 or 5 makes sense for PvP. But for WvW, hitting 5 out 40 in a Zerg is like scratching the surface, not even sure if AoE did any damages. This basically creates the current situation where population over powers skills.

This could be easily changed by increasing AoE caps in WvW and balancing them separetlly from PvP.

What? no it does’t. AoEs could easily be completely uncapped in PvP and it wouldn’t matter because there would never be more than 5 people total to take damage from it. The caps only make sense for WvW.

As for raising the caps, I woudn’t be 100% opposed to implementing this into the outnumbered buff somehow. Give smaller groups a realistic change at not just being steamrolled by zergs. But other than that no kittening way. Its already easy enough for a zerg to eliminate a smaller group, and this would just make it even easier. OP talks about how 5 elementalists were able to stop a zerg. Impressive yes, but removing the cap also would work against those smaller groups, as now the larger group, which has access to a lot more AoE fields, can hit all of the people in the smaller field with all of their AoE fields.

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

Wishing the servers could handle that load won’t make it so. The reality is that they can’t, so there’s no point in making threads complaining about the cap. The cap is first and foremost due to hardware limitations. Unless you’re hiding some new netcode and server stacks under your pillow, that’s not likely to change any time soon.

true enough. if it were possible, do you think it would be good for the game, if not, do you think it would be good for any rvr type game?

As for raising the caps, I woudn’t be 100% opposed to implementing this into the outnumbered buff somehow. Give smaller groups a realistic change at not just being steamrolled by zergs. But other than that no kittening way. Its already easy enough for a zerg to eliminate a smaller group, and this would just make it even easier. OP talks about how 5 elementalists were able to stop a zerg. Impressive yes, but removing the cap also would work against those smaller groups, as now the larger group, which has access to a lot more AoE fields, can hit all of the people in the smaller field with all of their AoE fields.

what would be a realistic change in your opinion?
it would work against smaller groups, but they already don’t have a chance. giving them the possibility is what I’m curious about.

in WvW

Lord of Rings.5371

Since some AoE capped at 3 and PvP is 5 v 5, AoE is not unlimited in PvP.

Removing AoE cap in WvW would increase the diversity of battlefield formation. Right now, the optimal formation is a dot for almost every situation. Maybe players would spread out if AoE is only capped by radius.

Fire Water Air
FA

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Ok, so, remove the aoe cap so a few people (on a few professions who have decent aoe skills) can aoe a zerg comprised of many players who will aoe nuke you in seconds… seems pretty well thought out type of gameplay…

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

Ok, so, remove the aoe cap so a few people (on a few professions who have decent aoe skills) can aoe a zerg comprised of many players who will aoe nuke you in seconds… seems pretty well thought out type of gameplay…

I would be for giving all classes decent aoe options. It would force the zerg to break up to avoid being nuked or face the consequences. I think it could be too late to implement into this game, people are set in their ways and will probably refuse to adapt. As for small teams who wanted the challenge of taking on bigger groups, it would be an insane mountain to tackle, but the possibility of taking them all down is the motivation to try and succeed. Right now its entirely impossible. I think quite a few want to play something that is entirely skill based, not this zerg v zerg thing we have (although it can be fun).

in WvW

OriOri.8724

I would be for giving all classes decent aoe options. It would force the zerg to break up to avoid being nuked or face the consequences. I think it could be too late to implement into this game, people are set in their ways and will probably refuse to adapt. As for small teams who wanted the challenge of taking on bigger groups, it would be an insane mountain to tackle, but the possibility of taking them all down is the motivation to try and succeed. Right now its entirely impossible. I think quite a few want to play something that is entirely skill based, not this zerg v zerg thing we have (although it can be fun).

It would still be impossible, I don’t understand why you can’t grasp that notion. Just because you let meteor shower hit all of the people in a zerg doesn’t mean you can kill the zerg before they kill you. 5 people against a zerg means that you now have to deal with 5+ people each coming down on you. The advantage still lies entirely with the larger group.

in WvW

Lord of Rings.5371

The damages by AoE could be dramatically reduced with mobility, spacing and positioning; AoE damages are capped by radius.

Currently, with everyone staying together, it is difficult to see skill animations. By bring spacing into play, it would most likely increase the skill level of the game.

Fire Water Air
FA

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Since some AoE capped at 3 and PvP is 5 v 5, AoE is not unlimited in PvP.

Only a few skills (such as meteor shower or auto attacks) are capped at 3. Most AoE skills are capped at 5.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Swagger.1459

You don’t understand… there are “blanket rules” in this game.

5-10 people doing mass aoes < zerg aoes… you will get chewed up by a 50+ zerg built for your new “unlimited” aoe spam…

Use arrow carts to defend structures… 50 target limit…

Edit- 5v5 structured pvp is available if you can’t handle realm vs realm vs realm gameplay.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Fay.2357

true enough. if it were possible, do you think it would be good for the game, if not, do you think it would be good for any rvr type game?

I think zergs would start stacking retal and you’d instakill yourself after the 2nd meteor dropped.

in WvW

Posted by: Cevni.2049

Cevni.2049

I am completely in favor of removing the AoE cap. Stacking should not be the counter to AoE, AoE should be the counter to stacking and spreading should be the counter to AoE, standing inside a damage field should not be beneficial in any single way. Can anyone disagree with this statement, if so, why?

About the issues that people have voiced

First off, server lag would decrease. This is because right now the server needs to calculate what 3/5 people get hit by the AoE (this is obviously not the sole thing causing server delay, but every bit counts). In addition to that, fights would be over very quickly should people still stack and if people do not stack, the AoEs causing server delay are not an issue.

Secondly, this would really give smaller groups a better chance versus larger ones. A smaller group will always see a larger % dmg increase compared to the larger group. The smaller group will now hit everyone in the larger group with their AoEs (assuming stacking obviously) which could be several times more damage done, while the larger group will barely hit any more people as the smaller group is already barely, if at all, above the AoE cap in size.

Thirdly this would be a great change as it would make fights in general more skill based and involve less spamming of AoE. This because people would have to spread out more, which in turn means AoE would become less effective unless the people you’re fighting are stupid enough to stack up in them, which seems like the perfect use of them to me. Right now the best skill to use in fights involving multiple people is almost exclusively AoEs as they will always hit the maximum amount of people due to previously mentioned stacking.

I am also assuming the thread means to only uncap offensive skills, uncapping buffing/healing/cleansing/whatever would be a horrible change.

Cevni – Reaper – Hardcore Erotic Roleplay [ERP] Smallscale Underwater GvG enthusiast
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC15zc8ImU3vnh_ASh4rpbsA

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

It would still be impossible, I don’t understand why you can’t grasp that notion. Just because you let meteor shower hit all of the people in a zerg doesn’t mean you can kill the zerg before they kill you. 5 people against a zerg means that you now have to deal with 5+ people each coming down on you. The advantage still lies entirely with the larger group.

Sure it does. Approach from stealth, drop damage+boonstrip+reflects+cc and no matter the size it will drop. Portal out or just book it outta there. Its entirely possible, if people were inclined to figure it out.

5-10 people doing mass aoes < zerg aoes… you will get chewed up by a 50+ zerg built for your new “unlimited” aoe spam…

Edit- 5v5 structured pvp is available if you can’t handle realm vs realm vs realm gameplay.

For 5v50, see above.
Siege should be supplementary, not a replacement.
Funny, I would say the same to you, but that’s not what I’m about. I want you to know why this is a good idea. If it turns out I’m wrong, then I’m wrong. No harm done.

I think zergs would start stacking retal and you’d instakill yourself after the 2nd meteor dropped.

Good point, retal! The ugly boon. Its up to the necro (maybe null field if it prioritized retal? ;) to strip. Boon strip. We don’t need no pasty necros showing skin!

I am also assuming the thread means to only uncap offensive skills, uncapping buffing/healing/cleansing/whatever would be a horrible change.

Its hard to tell. If you can melt a zerg in seconds, then it makes sense that they should be able to heal back up, assuming the zerg lives long enough. If they do survive and are able to heal, then that would be punishment to the smaller force for failing to get all of them. At the very least, uncap water fields. Organization and cooperation should always be encouraged. I mean sometimes (maybe more) its a chore just to get the zerg in one place, make sure they don’t drop a symbol of swiftness or other such nonsense, and actually blast the field lol.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Sure it does. Approach from stealth, drop damage+boonstrip+reflects+cc and no matter the size it will drop. Portal out or just book it outta there. Its entirely possible, if people were inclined to figure it out.

For 5v50, see above.
Siege should be supplementary, not a replacement.
Funny, I would say the same to you, but that’s not what I’m about. I want you to know why this is a good idea. If it turns out I’m wrong, then I’m wrong. No harm done.

Good point, retal! The ugly boon. Its up to the necro (maybe null field if it prioritized retal? to strip. Boon strip. We don’t need no pasty necros showing skin!

Its hard to tell. If you can melt a zerg in seconds, then it makes sense that they should be able to heal back up, assuming the zerg lives long enough. If they do survive and are able to heal, then that would be punishment to the smaller force for failing to get all of them. At the very least, uncap water fields. Organization and cooperation should always be encouraged. I mean sometimes (maybe more) its a chore just to get the zerg in one place, make sure they don’t drop a symbol of swiftness or other such nonsense, and actually blast the field lol.

You obviously do not understand the major flaws in your thinking at all…

This will never get implemented for multiple rational reasons. GL

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

The servers cannot handle it.

/thread

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Swagger.1459

The servers cannot handle it.

/thread

That too.

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

No thank you. Been there done that.

1. LAaaaggggg
2. Retal
3.dont worry about retal cus ull never get the skill off in the first place

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

-Game cant handle that many players spamming aoe skills, it cant hold what we have now, so increase the aoe is out of question.
-Anet have tweaked WvW to make server have diferent ktrain shedules so each one has its ktrain time and less lag.
-Anet cant increase aoe number of skills since game is all about aoe spam already, they need to save the more lagg adition for furter releases.

That would make the game more noobish than already is….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

AOE is capped at 5 due to technical limitation, according to dev 4 years ago.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

Alright, I edited the OP to reflect the direction the conversation has taken for those of you who are just now joining in.

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I think the AoE cap also needs to be modified so the rings cannot be overlapped. In this way, condi’s do not get super-stacked.

in WvW

Posted by: Hubal.8571

Hubal.8571

Well would surely be funny to run guard spamming staff #1 without the cap limit.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Given that the aoe cap has been in the game since launch what former glory?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

Several skills were nerfed, but the title is a bit misleading. I think maybe reading all of my post would help.

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

I’m just curious how Mythic did it in DAOC 15y ago, was hardware stronger back then? And many clients on dial up, too

in WvW

morrolan.9608

I’m just curious how Mythic did it in DAOC 15y ago, was hardware stronger back then? And many clients on dial up, too

Its worth noting that the GW2 engine is essentially an upgraded form of the GW1 engine and as such is extremely inefficient in modern day terms. Add to that the sheer volume of calculations required for conditions and boons.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

OriOri.8724

More than likely their engine was radically different and was setup to better handle stuff like that.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Incorrect. AOE cap has not been in the game since beginning of the game. It got implimented within first few months though. I forgot exactly when, but I was in WVW on my 2nd lvl 80 at that time already and running precisely and exactly an AOE nuke build because of the lack of cap.

Anyways, the cap was done because there is no possible way, as in none, zip, zero, nada, not even remotely close for the network and servers to be able to handle all the data within even a marginally playable state.

So forget AOE cap. Our current unplayable 3 way battles becoming more and more unplayable, are the result of more and more players taking advantage of general HOT powercreep (HOT skills) more stacks of everything everywhere, cast more often, recast more often, upkept for longer, etc. On top of that, we have X more reflects, X more various damage reductions + additions to calculate, more cleanses then before, more evades, just too much of everything.

The servers can’t handle it, so come up with another idea, one that works within current server limitations and doesnt take many manhours to execute. Mine is to reduce the map caps by about 30%. Yes there will be ques which is the downside.

Outnumbered people will now be 20 vs 50 vs 50, instead of 20 vs 80 vs 80, and will have a much better chance of at least successfully sieging up and defending a valuable objective, whereas vs 80 vs 80, they have none, ever.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Incorrect. AOE cap has not been in the game since beginning of the game. It got implimented within first few months though. I forgot exactly when, but I was in WVW on my 2nd lvl 80 at that time already and running precisely and exactly an AOE nuke build because of the lack of cap.

You’re thinking of beta.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

(edited by morrolan.9608)

in WvW

Fay.2357

DAOC had an engine/game/general server load that was far far lighter. GW2 is a drastically more complex and heavy game than DAOC. Additionally, GW2 is essentially a hack on top of the GW1 engine which makes it even harder for servers to run it efficiently.

A new game that was built from the ground up with the intention of having that sort of high through-put netcode and server efficiency could probably handle it. GW2 is not capable of it.

in WvW

OriOri.8724

Anyways, the cap was done because there is no possible way, as in none, zip, zero, nada, not even remotely close for the network and servers to be able to handle all the data within even a marginally playable state.

So forget AOE cap. Our current unplayable 3 way battles becoming more and more unplayable, are the result of more and more players taking advantage of general HOT powercreep (HOT skills) more stacks of everything everywhere, cast more often, recast more often, upkept for longer, etc. On top of that, we have X more reflects, X more various damage reductions + additions to calculate, more cleanses then before, more evades, just too much of everything.

The servers can’t handle it, so come up with another idea, one that works within current server limitations and doesnt take many manhours to execute. Mine is to reduce the map caps by about 30%. Yes there will be ques which is the downside.

Outnumbered people will now be 20 vs 50 vs 50, instead of 20 vs 80 vs 80, and will have a much better chance of at least successfully sieging up and defending a valuable objective, whereas vs 80 vs 80, they have none, ever.

Or, bear with me here, ANet could just go on a nerfing spree and reign the HoT powercreep in. Make skills do less, lower the amount of passive procs, lower the amount of condis/boons being applied etc…. Not only would this be healthy combat wise, it would reduce server load. Is it enough to remove lag? No kittening way. But its a start since it will be fewer things for the server to calculate. And after this is done Anet can look at other ways to reduce skill lag in WvW

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

best idea ever for reducing skill lag
fog of war can only see in an area of 2000 around you
lawl :P

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

We kinda had that already. It was called Culling.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

Those were the momments with less culling, sometimes fog of war was something like 300-400, first i see your HP go down then u could notice the enemy blob..

Culling + mesmer portal easy win!

in WvW

Fay.2357

Those were the momments with less culling, sometimes fog of war was something like 300-400, first i see your HP go down then u could notice the enemy blob..

Culling + mesmer portal easy win!

Heh, good times. Port a zerg back and forth a few times to bug out the culling response and permanently “stealth” an arbitrary number of people.

in WvW

Nikola.3841

DAOC had an engine/game/general server load that was far far lighter. GW2 is a drastically more complex and heavy game than DAOC. Additionally, GW2 is essentially a hack on top of the GW1 engine which makes it even harder for servers to run it efficiently.

A new game that was built from the ground up with the intention of having that sort of high through-put netcode and server efficiency could probably handle it. GW2 is not capable of it.

But also I was on 64k ISDN line, now run 50mbit/s VDSL (1000 times faster), server hardware is probably 100 times faster too, and DAOC had 3000 people cap in RvR zone
(you could bring server down, though, its not that engine was THAT simple, with about 60 pets per animist, and what, 10-20 per theurg)

Only thing that was really that much more simple is amount of DOTs (conditions) you could put on someone…but then again, there were stun/mezz/DOT immunities that does not exist in GW2, and DAOC had to calculate it, also rememebr DAOC /stat command, servers calculated tons of info for every player, etc

in WvW

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

^ This, retaliation would be the boon of choice. The zergs would stack even closer together so your meteor shower is for sure gonna hit 20 people each hitting you for a couple hundred hp for each hit you give. Nice way to blow your self up.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in WvW

Nikola.3841

We’re doomed to continue like this, I think its impossible to do some real redesign of a flawed system…only way around this would be if we would have enough population to have queue on all maps 24/7, then noone could claim another side has advantage

in WvW

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Personally, I’d like to see the AoE cap removed AND the Outnumbered buff changed to provide an 80% defense against AoE damage. People who stand in the fire deserve to die fast no matter how many of them there are in the fire.

Learning to not stand in the fire is like MMO 101. Should WvW really cater to people who refuse to learn that?

Server: Devona’s Rest

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

^ This, retaliation would be the boon of choice. The zergs would stack even closer together so your meteor shower is for sure gonna hit 20 people each hitting you for a couple hundred hp for each hit you give. Nice way to blow your self up.

Again, assume retal is stripped or capped, and the group approaches the zerg from stealth.

Personally, I’d like to see the AoE cap removed AND the Outnumbered buff changed to provide an 80% defense against AoE damage. People who stand in the fire deserve to die fast no matter how many of them there are in the fire.

Learning to not stand in the fire is like MMO 101. Should WvW really cater to people who refuse to learn that?

Your post contradicts itself. I’m guessing you meant to say, well I don’t know. Anyway a defense/offense buff is not necessary if the aoe cap was lifted. Not only that, its another tool of fair play that punishes a group of players based on their population.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

@op would u like to make the game unplayable? that is what ur wishing

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

@op would u like to make the game unplayable? that is what ur wishing

Reading just the title of a post is not going to give you adequate info on what the post is about.