Removing White Sword : Good or Bad?

in WvW

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

This just in. Waypoints still contest when tapped. This change GREATLY benefits the server who can build waypoints — in other words, the largest server.

Second Child

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

this event test should had waypoints like eotm in all keeps to counter the remove of white swords .

without wp the event will have very bad impact to servers that do not have 24/7 scouters to scout the keeps waypoints .

also, without wp every map is terrible boring for roamers and small servers have most of their population roamers .

but in the other hand the event came with separated daily . this separated daily will bring some people from pve/spvp to wvw

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in WvW

Posted by: Laishunfom.7603

Laishunfom.7603

Good. Anet let us save golds. not to upgrad anythings.Because most of upgrading are in vain,except waypoint keeps.

[TFV]Shunfom/Love The Lai

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Good. Anet let us save golds. not to upgrad anythings.Because most of upgrading are in vain,except waypoint keeps.

By us, you mean you. Some of us are organized and capable, to the point that it is no more or less of a concern then it was before.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Bad for zerg commanders and great for havoc teams. I’m fairly impartial to it.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Personally I don’t think it’s gone far enough. If the goal was to disorient the average player, they should remove the overworld map and mini-map as well.

On a serious note: The change is overall bad. Most players are disoriented without the swords, and it’s difficult to gauge who is winning because of PPK. Killing players can be more war score than PPT, but it’s a fairly invisible system to keep track of. Your team could be doing fine, but the other team could be benefiting from feeding off of the third. It’s hard to gauge who is currently more powerful on the map because of this, and this is a bad thing for anything except the most organized of players.

in WvW

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

Bad update is bad.

The main reason the sneak attack is introduced is because of the outcome of the adopt-a-Dev program. this program was meant for the devs to get a better view of the total wvw community. Instead of spreading around in different tier servers/different style of guilds, they’ve chosen to go top tier gvg guilds. Apart from the fact that some of these guilds acted very different from their normal behaviour, (not gonna mention names but i think we can all come up with some). the Devs didn’t get a clear view of the current wvw situation. Both the white sword removal and the PPK are very shortminded, however it’s supporting striketeams and scouts, and the PPK gives gvg guilds alot more influence on the PPT.
The PPK will support blobbing, basically because you will win more fights when outnumbering the enemy and therefore blobbing is good both for bags and ppt. Removing the whiteswords will force your server to have atleast 1-2 towerscouts and 2-3 scouts for every non wpéd keep that you intend to upgrade. Since anet doesn’t reward scouting it is a very boring and unrewarding job. Even the people that used to actively scout a tower and at the same time run dollies to their tower, will unable to do their job simply because of the fact that you can’t stay away from the tower more then 1 minute now.
Removing the swords from keeps is unbalancing the game. Mostly it is the strongest server who is taking away the keeps of his enemies. by removing the swords it will be harder for them to upgrade the WP again since they need alot of scouts where the superior server doesn’t.
Some people will argue the fact that this update will boost the amount of havoc groups running around the map and therefore it’s anti blobbing, however these havoc groups will only be functional when the enemy is lacking scouts which is probably gonna be the lowest rated server. This will result in the havoc groups of the superior server being able to take down alot of the enemy towers where the enemy will struggle in fully using their havoc groups capabilities because the superior server has more scouts.
Last but not least, as i already mentioned in the first part of my post, the Adopt-A-Dev program only focused on the higher rated servers. high rated servers already struggle getting enough scouts for their keeps+towers, where lower populated servers will find it impossible to do so. This will result in almost zero upgraded towers and basically the bottom tier will become a big K-train for the superior server.

Please Anet, don’t use us as your guinea pig and try instead to evaluate your idea’s and to see the full consequenses out of it. Then if you still think it will improve the game, run it on a testserver. The only 2 things that are actually good in this patch is the fact that WvW will get abit more rewards (which should be permanent considering the difference in Gold/Hour btween wvw and pve) and the fact that the sneak attack lasts only for 4 weeks instead of being instantly permanent.

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Before the patch, the majority of people on the forums said this was a dumb idea. In actuality, one of 2 things will happen:

1. Some people will play the game to just sit in towers. In the past, the idea of a “roaming sentry” worked. Now without the swords, people need to stay in a tower. Will they do it?
2. People decide to quit playing defense and just go offense. This will basically turn WvW more into EotM.

We shall see soon

in WvW

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

bad idea, this is not good for wvw, i gave it the beenfit of the doubt and have tried it, and now say its not worth keeping.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

in WvW

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

The ‘idea’ of it was, interesting to say the least.

Actually being able to sneak things? Okie, I see the point here. But it makes defending rather maddening.

I sat in a tower as my toddler napped, upgrading and building siege for two hours this afternoon only to have it swept out from under my feet while grabbing extra supply from a camp. Not even five minutes.

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.

in WvW

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

By us, you mean you. Some of us are organized and capable, to the point that it is no more or less of a concern then it was before.

maybe your server has the population to defend off blobs?

[SA]

in WvW

Posted by: Purr Kitten.8731

Purr Kitten.8731

Please. People will defend the first while, maybe even up to a month because it is an “event”. Then, they will stop doing it altogether. That is the problem with this “event”. I get it, it has a cute little bow attached to it, with a small insignificant boost, to try to have people come on to wvw. Maybe it will get fair weathers on just for the rewards, but that is not a good way to host an event. Results will be skewed.

Must be nice for two people to potentially take a fortified keep, which makes zero sense. And hey, something like garri, you don’t just need one scout you need 3-4. With low population servers you won’t get that. You just won’t. Not to mention the servers that only play for kills and have few but very dedicated defenders.

You need people on the field to also be effective, and you are pulling them off with this.

And writing this in the update notes: “Now a player must scout the objectives in order to see them being attacked.”

Players always had to defend. Come on. But now you need twice the number. In bl, you will need 4 for garri, three for bay, 2-3 for Hills and normally, one for each north tower. But hey, you get rewards for it right? You know, the +wxp the +magic find. Oh that’s right, if you defend that won’t apply to you anyhow. This is forcing people to play a certain way. Do people want more defenders and scouts? Obviously! Is forcing them to do so a good idea? Obviously not.

Not to mention the rage I anticipate hearing in TS or reading in map chat when scouts fail to find invaders. Which will further demoralize defenders.

So have your little “event”. It’s not going to prove anything expect that now very small havok groups got their wish and can potentially flip a map.

And adding this boost, is just anet’s way of saying: hey we are going to do this regardless- we are just making you think we are testing it, but look: we are giving wvw something back. Magic find!!!!11! Can’t complain now….

SBI

(edited by Purr Kitten.8731)

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

Absolute catastrophe for lower tier servers.

I can’t believe players are even debating this like there’s something to consider. There’s no point in doing anything besides mindless k-trains now. It will probably become even worse than EotM. Lower tier servers are lucky to have a competent player or two roaming / scouting the whole map. No one wants to physically sit in structures to scout. It’s literally the most boring thing to do in game unless you’re semi-afk or chatting.

As for PPK, well, that remains to be seen. It is difficult to bust a map queue if it comes to that, but it can be done. That doesn’t make it fun though. The game starts to become a dicey button smashing affair when there’s more than ~60 total players in a fight, provided the server isn’t lagging of course. Plus, it also does discourage risk taking with deaths, which there’s already plenty of with stacks / wasted walking time / pride / etc.

Lastly, it worries me that this is a “just a test”. There has been an alarming trend in this game of stupid changes, players quitting because of those changes, and before you know it, few remember what the game was like before the changes. By then Anet’s logic seems to be, well, no is complaining now, right? Examples: Ascended treadmill, siege power creep, condi power creep (solo / small group), siege disabling.

(edited by zen.6091)

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Completely destroyed our current matchup. Tactics are all over the place. Defense, upgrades, practically useless. Waste of gold. Nobody wants to sit in a tower or camp or keep for hours. Nobody wants to run around an empty map looking for people attacking something for hours. It’s ridiculous. I’ll go play something else until your stupid “event” is over, Anet.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

in WvW

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

That is disingenuous. It was quit literally demanded in thousands of post since release. If your claiming no one asked for it, your either never reading the forums, or being intentionally obtuse.

nope, this is how I am… now take your “literally thousands” of people and go scout.

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

in WvW

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

ArenaNET fails to realize that WvW – NEVER STOPS.

I’m early birdy and one of the few to wake up and log WvW.

I’m mostly alone “scouting” one of the maps – because early in the morning my server don’t have more than 2-5 people in wvw.

EBG have – 4 towers,2 camps and 1 keep on our side of the map.
Home Border have – 4 towers,3 keeps and 6 camps in total.

Now i would like the developers who came with the “no white swords” idea to come here and explain me how does 2+2 = 4 or how 5 man can be covering – 5 keeps,8 towers and 8 camps without “under attack” markers ?

This feature is good only if there is a “peace” period during the time when there is most inactivity at WvW (eg. EU server’s wvw is empty during the night since most of us share same timezone or +1-2/-1-2 hours difference and sleep almost at same time,work at same time and have dinner at same time.)

Dear Anet you cannot throw features like this – they affect quite large system of activities to be put this way.

Create a system that covers all parts of the WvW if you’re going to make changes like this – because we’re not robots to sit in towers/keeps 24/7 – next time present a real counter to this offensive feature.

Stop punishing the players who are playing the defensive part of the game and giving advantages to attackers – promoting only karma trains.

We “the scouts” will not – Quit our jobs,divorce our wives/husbands and give our kids for adoption just to be able to sit in WvW in case someone decides to attack the keep/tower we spend our time,money and effort upgrading.

(edited by Luna.9640)

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Bad. It encourages karma train and makes the defense impossible for the seriously outnumbered side. If you have just a few players on the entire map, how can you afford to have 2-3 scouts per keep? The more numerous side just needs to create a zerg big enough so it can very quickly build 3-4 superior rams or catapults and sneak capture anything in just matters of minutes. In other words we will see even more lopsided matches.

The current system doesn’t reward scouting. How do the Arenanet developers expect the players just sit and scout the keeps?

The most profitable to play WvWvW is to blob and Arenanet keeps doing these unwise changes to make the blobbing even more prevalent. It is as if they really want that there is just one “proper” way to play their game.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

(edited by Deniara Devious.3948)

in WvW

Posted by: Space.8053

Space.8053

Before the patch, the majority of people on the forums said this was a dumb idea. In actuality, one of 2 things will happen:

1. Some people will play the game to just sit in towers. In the past, the idea of a “roaming sentry” worked. Now without the swords, people need to stay in a tower. Will they do it?
2. People decide to quit playing defense and just go offense. This will basically turn WvW more into EotM.

We shall see soon

I think its great. Before the update the EoTM wxp train was restricted to green but now we can enjoy that skillful playstyle in wvw whatever colour we are.

Fat Rob
[TCHU]
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: antonbalboa.7280

antonbalboa.7280

Not to mention any official response yet, even like 95% of players are complaining about this feature (the only ones that are not are the 1st or 2nd server that don’t really care about this because they are benefited by this).

As you can see, WvW will always be the “forgotten” part of the game, the one that gives the less profit for them and so the one that will be worked on the less.

Second day, same as yesterday, not enough people willing to stay in a structure for hours (which is normal since this is a game, action is not staying sit in a tower for 2 hours doing nothing). PPK making the “bigger” servers tick even more, letting the lower populated servers with even more difference in score. MESSED

:D

in WvW

Posted by: tichai.4351

tichai.4351

As an inveterate defender, I logged in last night and spent 5 hours scouting Hills on our home borderland. Probably saw 10-15 opposition players and 1 feeble attack all night. My reward for my diligence? Absolutely nothing, no dailies completed, 1 kill giving the obligatory Spike as a reward.

The only reason for defending was because it had a Waypoint and was fully upgraded but I still had to watch other T3 towers suddenly change colour to 2 or 3 attackers, with no way of stopping them. Even leaving the tower to scout the area or complete dailies left the keep vulnerable.

Come reset I doubt me or anyone else on my server will bother to even start upgrades and because we are a lower tier server there will be little else to do other than run around looking for the usual 10-20 ‘visitors’ we get for reset.

With the ridiculous amount of time it takes to upgrade a keep to T3 why would any sane person consider this to be a fun way of spending their time or see it as an improvement in gameplay?

At least with the white swords it gave defenders a clue as to where the opposition was on the map thereby allowing them time to go and recap a supply camp or kill a sentry or even do the gathering daily without worrying if the keep they have been scouting for the last 4-5 hours will still be there. You may as well remove all the towers from the game and just leave the 3 keeps on each map as they are now worthless to the home team.

As for PPK? Whoopie kitten Doop! On a good night that may give us 40-60 points on our home BL as we have most of our people in EB. Our last 3 matchups have had our few guild groups jumping from map to map looking for anything to fight during primetime and now, by the time something has flipped and we have called reinforcements from EB the opposition have disappeared to another map.

I fail to see how things like this, along with some pathetic rewards is supposed to encourage people into WvW and with PvE hardly giving a challenge it is no wonder the WvW population is shrinking.

Maybe it is time for Anet to revisit their pre-launch manifesto?

Scrub Guardian [CHvc]
Gunnar’s Hold www.gunnarshold.eu

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

They need to implement better rewards for defending. Something like getting gold per tick depending on how much you have upgraded something.

What would also be nice but I don’t expect it would be the ability to transfer a percentage of the incoming reward per tick to another player if they take over the defense.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Bigsexy.8302

Bigsexy.8302

Awesome. Just awesome.
Nothing better than being outnumbered 3:1 or 4:1 and not having white sword. Yees, we are going to split our “zerg” of 10 people on EB
People told you already – keep the swords on for servers who are outnumbered but as usual Anet doesn’t listen cos they obviously are so knowledgeable about WvW, they had to sent employees to learn stuff. Not only that but it’s so hard to read the map, find your enemies and wipe them.
At least we got some decent blob on home border to fight against two enemy bigger blobs. How wonderful we have to reduce our main attacking force by putting scouts. Way to give even less disadvantage to the already weaker servers.
Have you ever heard about PTS? You can’t just throw stuff in a live version…
And yeah, rewards for defending? It’s not like blobbing is that much rewarding, but you want people to sit in towers for some karma after successful defending?

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

It’s awesome how the forum is overflowing with literally thousands of suggestions for improvements and changes and yet they managed to implement something that literally nobody asked for.

[HUE]

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It’s awesome how the forum is overflowing with literally thousands of suggestions for improvements and changes and yet they managed to implement something that literally nobody asked for.

Because most of the suggestions ppl ask for are nearly imposable to do and would comply flit how WvW is played so much that it would kill the game. Smaller changes like removing white swords or adding in oranges swords just changes how you see the maps NOT the game play every thing can be dealt with if some ppl would communicate what they see. If your world has no roamers then as a world you SHOULD lose things.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Just as expected the removal of white swords has made WvW a very boring place. Like ships passing in the night, it’s so difficult to find players on enemy servers anymore. I am running around an enemy borderland with seemingly nothing to fight even though I am apparently ‘outmanned’. I see a camp flip, I run to it only to find that they have of course moved on and then something somewhere else flips, but too late! I’m basically running around in circles attempting to ‘predict’ where people are going or relying on serendipity to place me with enemies, which is time consuming and extremely dull.

I feel like the removal of white swords is excluding me from WvW activities.

Gandara

(edited by Simonoly.4352)

in WvW

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

Overall, there is a small percentage of players who are willing to sit in a tower doing nothing but watching for enemy movement.

Servers with bigger populations will naturally have more of these people, and servers with smaller populations will have fewer.

I agree with this kinda.

The change itself might not be a bad thing – if you want to keep your stuff and win matches week by week – you will need to organize some people to do scouting.

It doesn’t even come down to that though. Some servers/timezones do not have the forces to spare to scout and defend, let alone havoc and full force put pressure. No matter how organized a server’s scouts are, being effective during these kinds of situations is horrendously diminished with the removal of the white swords.

in WvW

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

Has Anet hired Yak Bend to be their consultants for the direction to take WvW? The last 2 major changes (Siege Disablers and now this no-white sword thing) plays right into their play-style. I’m not commenting here if the way YB plays is correct or not – they made it to T2 after all; but stop forcing that play-style down everybody’s throat!

On the plus side, at least this time Anet had the sense to give it a trial period instead of making it permanent from the get-go or like the Siege Disablers, introduced at the start of a tournament.

Not going to repeat the sentiments already expressed in earlier posts so my input is this: Remember when there was no time limit for rezzing at a WP and some folks would choose to stay dead within an enemy’s structure sometimes for hours? This would force someone to have to watch over the corpse or risk a portal right into the structure (or other shenanigans). I always figured that the reason A-net finally decided to remove it was because it simply wasn’t fun. Especially for the ones who have to watch over a corpse.

So in the same line of thought, why force people to have to play guard duty? If its real life, guard duty is a necessity but in a game, it’s a just isn’t a fun feature.

in WvW

Posted by: Drinks.2361

Drinks.2361

I’m really glad that Anet has tried a change in WvW, the sword removal is just not a good one.

Just as expected the removal of white swords has made WvW a very boring place. Like ships passing in the night, it’s so difficult to find players on enemy servers anymore.

This guy has it right, it is very difficult to find players to fight now, & I play WvW to fight players not doors. Having defenders show up to defend objectives is good active play, even if they just want to sit on siege.

The points per kill should be good, but on the lower tiers it is much harder to find players to fight which makes those points much harder to get.

The real problem is that PPT isn’t a good way to calculate server score, adding seasons which reward the servers with the best coverage caused too many players to move to the expected winners causing the population balance problems to get worse. WvW population needs to be looked at separately from PvE & there should be a mechanic to encourage players to spread out across servers instead of piling onto a giant or picking the latest bandwagon.

Server regions cause problems, making some players WvW time much more valuable to the world score than others being able to take & hold objectives with very little contest when the bulk of the player base is asleep. If WvW is going to be a 24h thing it shouldn’t have the population split up into regions creating artificial dead zones. Host the WvW Maps in the EU data center during EU primetime, NA during NA’s most active times. I know you probably can’t but it would be great to play against players from China during OCX.

in WvW

Posted by: Torgrim.3642

Torgrim.3642

No whiteswords= teleport/glitcher/hackers heaven.

in WvW

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

Horrible. The Team that made this happen should be fired.

Instead of helping to make WvW engaging, you’ve single handedly ostracized every server outside of T1… forcing the mind numbingly, time wasting events of PvDoor onto us.

./golfclap

In T1, this might work as it will generate more community communication… however, if there’s no population on a map… we’re now supporting Karma Trains, even more so then previously…. EoTM has just made it’s way into BL’s.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

(edited by Amins.3710)

in WvW

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Because most of the suggestions ppl ask for are nearly imposable to do and would comply flit how WvW is played so much that it would kill the game. Smaller changes like removing white swords or adding in oranges swords just changes how you see the maps NOT the game play every thing can be dealt with if some ppl would communicate what they see. If your world has no roamers then as a world you SHOULD lose things.

Simply put, we don’t have enough people on our server to scout every location all the time. The only thing this change is going to do is make it even more frustrating when something big flips only because we didn’t have someone squatting in it for hours on end and watching every single gate/wall to see if the enemy is attacking.

It’s hard enough trying to pull people to get across the map when swords pop on a keep to try and make it in time to do something about it. Now, something flips, and there won’t be any warning, notification — nothing.

Out of the 24 servers in NA, this change will have the largest benefit to 5, possibly 6. That is not the majority. Don’t implement it. As Brutal said, Dumb idea is Dumb.

And furthermore, as for the implementation of ideas that you say would be “impossible,” it wasn’t impossible to implement them somewhere else.

After playing in the Silverwastes the last few weeks, I think one of the most satisfying and awesome ideas was the addition of using a signal fire to call in air support. The effects are fantastic, the result is devastating to the attacking enemy, and then I remembered one small detail:

It was PvE.

I posted both of these in two separate threads regarding the removal of white swords. The thing is, a lot of these suggestions aren’t impossible, it’s just that they have no desire to spend time implementing them in WvW. SW has had more interesting WvW changes than actual WvW has in the last 2 years. It’s not impossible. They just don’t want to bother.

Furthermore, I have yet to see a single dev post in this subforum actually asking us how our experiences have been, how we feel about the change, and if there’s anything they think they can do to improve it. For a “test,” player feedback would seem invaluable, would it not? As would a back and forth with the development team. This would be a normal and natural occurrence at my company, and on a previous game I worked on we spent months adding a game mode that it turned out nobody liked and was splitting the community, with the majority on the side of getting rid of it (this data was not just gained using feedback on the forums and interaction with our players, it was aggregated through total player participation between the original game mode and the new one). So you know what we did? Even though we had spent months on this game mode and made multiple maps to support it, we got rid of it. The community thrived again. The divisiveness stopped, and it was a positive move. We made a mistake, we admitted it, and we corrected it. There are so many things wrong here that I can only come back around to the same conclusion: it seems that they just don’t want to bother.

(edited by Ark Bladesteele.2943)

in WvW

Posted by: Dal.5872

Dal.5872

Already bored senseless with having to check every single gate/wall everytime a keep/tower is contested. GG Anet you just made the people who actually pay and play WvW completely alienated from the game mode. Anyone else stopped spending gold on upgrades? Well it won’t be a gold sink for me anymore.

Saving a camp is now impossible without several scouts in the camp. Small havoc and roaming groups can go for hours without finding a fight.

You have catered to the people who blob up in a guild for 2 hours each night and couldn’t give 2 kittens about PPT in any form. If the intention is to completely kill the game mode then you only have 1 thing left to do, give the guilds a proper arena to challenge each other. WvW will then be a ghost town and I’m sure you can turn some of those expensive servers off or use them for your next big eSport/(FAIL) event.

You have an engine that lends itself well to a large scale MOBA and fail completely to utilise it and insist on these ridiculous 5 v 5 arenas. Have you seen how much some other completely F2P games make? LoL now has 64 million regular players? Do you not want some of that pie?

Time to perhaps do things like a basic player vote on changes? This way you won’t feel inclined to play WvW with a guild and listen only to their ideas.

IGN: Dal Brinium

in WvW

Posted by: kathy.8291

kathy.8291

ARE YOU SERIOUS ANET. Im a wvw junkie and what about the servers that DONT HAVE enough people TO SIT IN THE kitten towers and keeps because you took away the white swords. We barely have enough people fighting or taking towers as is let alone sit in one. You have GOT TO BE KIDDING anet, you are just worried about the HIGH TIER servers that can sit there all kitten day. Off to find another game to enjoy bc WvW was the only thing i enjoyed. Anet you messed up even if its only a trial.

in WvW

Posted by: Nozzle.8031

Nozzle.8031

I think it just helps the more populated servers again, they can have people in every tower scouting etc, low tier servers struggle to get a zerg together at peak times. now they just been handicapped even more. even easier for the bigger guys to just walk over them.
On a aside not, im not sure if there is anything they do to wvw that doesent benefit more populated servers…..remove PPT maybe, decent rewards for taking objectives, rewards for defending, rewards for upgrading (better rewards for defending and taking upgraded keeps)….but again that may favor the bigger guys.

in WvW

Posted by: sendaf.8375

sendaf.8375

Tier 3 player NA…. terrible change.

You implemented EotM as a “testing ground” for new wvw ideas… Sneak Attack would have been a great time to utilize EotM for its original purpose. You would have gotten the same negative feedback (from your precious pve karma trainers) and you would not have ruined the WvWers holiday playing…

I think “sneak attack” has merits. If a server is steam rolling their matchup… lets say a server falls 50,000 points behind the other servers, then sneak attack rules kick in. The losing server will still be able to see white swords and don’t give PPK upon dying but when they attack the winning server’s structures they DO NOT pop white swords and they gain points for player kills, but only against the server that is stomping them. These rules stay in effect until the losing server catches up. Boom… a step in the direction of population balance.

in WvW

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

Has Anet hired Yak Bend to be their consultants for the direction to take WvW? The last 2 major changes (Siege Disablers and now this no-white sword thing) plays right into their play-style. I’m not commenting here if the way YB plays is correct or not – they made it to T2 after all; but stop forcing that play-style down everybody’s throat!

What? When they announced introduction of siege disablers, there were talks from other servers how it will negatively affect us since we build siege etc. Now that you (whatever server you’re from) have failed to effectively use them against us, you’re badmouthing our server?

Although I disagree with the removal of white sword, I must say havoc groups are at a HUGE advantage and YB isn’t exactly known for its havoc (rather we we known for defense and siege). So how exactly does that “play right into our playstyle”?

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

in WvW

Posted by: BlueBoy.1236

BlueBoy.1236

I have found my enlightenment when i tried not to care abt ppt anymore. Ppt game also became boring since they let ppl sell their sieges in tp (golem rush or get kitten under my kitten ac rain).

I realize there are more havoc groups since the patch came out, which is a good thing imo. Tho i’m afraid some ppl will cling harder to their twr and acs (ummm hello, yb. when are you gonna leave those twrs?)

in WvW

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

As predicted and as mentioned numerous times already this “test” has been a dismal failure any way you want to look at it.

Now most businesses, having made such a terrible misjudgment about their product, would quickly roll back the change to minimize the damage. But I don’t get the impression anet would even consider doing that. So we’re likely stuck with this garbage at least until the “event” is over. All bets are off whether they’ll extend it beyond that.

BG

in WvW

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

guise anet gave us a buff exclusive for wvw! that helps a lot right? right…? :l

[SA]

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Meh, like everything else, true WvW-rs will adapt, the rest will come here and complain.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

As an inveterate defender, I logged in last night and spent 5 hours scouting Hills on our home borderland. Probably saw 10-15 opposition players and 1 feeble attack all night. My reward for my diligence? Absolutely nothing, no dailies completed, 1 kill giving the obligatory Spike as a reward.

The only reason for defending was because it had a Waypoint and was fully upgraded but I still had to watch other T3 towers suddenly change colour to 2 or 3 attackers, with no way of stopping them. Even leaving the tower to scout the area or complete dailies left the keep vulnerable.

Come reset I doubt me or anyone else on my server will bother to even start upgrades and because we are a lower tier server there will be little else to do other than run around looking for the usual 10-20 ‘visitors’ we get for reset.

With the ridiculous amount of time it takes to upgrade a keep to T3 why would any sane person consider this to be a fun way of spending their time or see it as an improvement in gameplay?

At least with the white swords it gave defenders a clue as to where the opposition was on the map thereby allowing them time to go and recap a supply camp or kill a sentry or even do the gathering daily without worrying if the keep they have been scouting for the last 4-5 hours will still be there. You may as well remove all the towers from the game and just leave the 3 keeps on each map as they are now worthless to the home team.

As for PPK? Whoopie kitten Doop! On a good night that may give us 40-60 points on our home BL as we have most of our people in EB. Our last 3 matchups have had our few guild groups jumping from map to map looking for anything to fight during primetime and now, by the time something has flipped and we have called reinforcements from EB the opposition have disappeared to another map.

I fail to see how things like this, along with some pathetic rewards is supposed to encourage people into WvW and with PvE hardly giving a challenge it is no wonder the WvW population is shrinking.

Maybe it is time for Anet to revisit their pre-launch manifesto?

I like everyone to meet Tich.
Tich is the most dedicated defender residing on GH, If not in the whole game.
Want proof? GH has a tower named after him.
If anyone wants a honest opinion about objective defense, then the words Tich speaks are to be considered the Defenders Commandments.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: Durzo Kado.1536

Durzo Kado.1536

Not to put too fine a point on it…… this change is TERRIBLE !
I’m a regular defender of my home BL and have just spent the last hour running around as though I’m in EoTM. WSR is one of the lower tier servers but has a good WvW group, unfortunately we just don’t have the numbers to sit around in camps, towers,etc waiting to see if they will be attacked. In the old iteration this wasn’t a problem as we could react to the “swords” and invariably get to the action quick enough to engage and even drive off the attackers. Now all I’m doing is chasing around re-flipping ! Yes you can look for patterns, and yes you can try get ahead to where you may next be attacked but this doesn’t work when the “new” WvW player Anet seems to have attracted with this change is those looking to just either complete their dailies or farm XP, they simply WP out and start somewhere else.

WvW is supposed to be about WORLD V WORLD which by its nature should involve some enemy contact. The bottom line is outside the usual EU peak times I now see virtually no one, yet see on my map my home BL constantly changing colour.

This change may work on high WvW population servers but for us down in the lower tiers its nothing but frustrating !

There I’ve said my bit……….

TL/DR – Its poor change it back !

Durzo Kado [EVO] Whiteside Ridge

in WvW

Ark Bladesteele.2943

even with or without swords 5 men can not stop 10 men on omegas that want to take a t3 keep .

Just want to take a moment to say that you’re wrong. I have defended against a 12 omega rush on bay during the S2 tourney in the middle of the night with just myself and 2 others. All golems dead. This is before disablers. It’s not impossible, you just need a few people with functioning brains, cannons, ballistas, mortars, and maybe a treb or two. It wasn’t easy, but we did it. Omegas are not an insta-win. Although, they are more so now, since you won’t even know when they hit something if you’re not already in the structure.

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

even with or without swords 5 men can not stop 10 men on omegas that want to take a t3 keep .

Just want to take a moment to say that you’re wrong. I have defended against a 12 omega rush on bay during the S2 tourney in the middle of the night with just myself and 2 others. All golems dead. This is before disablers. It’s not impossible, you just need a few people with functioning brains, cannons, ballistas, mortars, and maybe a treb or two. It wasn’t easy, but we did it. Omegas are not an insta-win. Although, they are more so now, since you won’t even know when they hit something if you’re not already in the structure.

True – I’ve killed 6 omegas within a minute because none of them cared for me and my cannon (well a ranger did but he died – after the golems). This was after the disablers and no golem has been disabled nor has my cannon. But not everybody is that stupid. So in a case people know how bad cannons are towards golems I wouldn’t have had a chance – and that happened pretty often actually as you can’t build siege fast enough with only one or two people and if the opponents know what to do you don’t stand a chance.

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Waypoints are now too large an advantage.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Would be ok if they did so normal ram/cat count as 5players, S-ram/cat 10players, guild cat 15players, Alpha golem 15players, Omega 20Players and then Yellow sword show gate attacked 25players + Blue Sword show Wall attacked 25players+ and then 50players + Red so: Red-Yellow-Red-Yellow or(Red-Blue-Red-Blue for wall) and Black 100+ players, so if you use 5Omega on gate then Yellow Swords-Black Swords-Yellow Swords and so on.

(edited by Shadow.3475)

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Bad.

On T9 EU we really have to look for fights by running across the whole map and even then it occurs that we can’t find anyone to fight. White swords allowed us to find enemies and fights that much faster. Now it’s just a long series of karma training empty camps, towers and keeps.

TLDR: BRING BACK WHITE SWORDS

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

BlueBoy.1236

agree . also the siegerazers are too poor optimized on situations ….let see all together a very nice photo ( see the attachement ).

a server with their population is creating a waypoint on your keep and manage trolls you and the new wvw players all the day , because it is fun for them and sucks for your server people .

if this is not gamebreaking for new wvw players i can not imagine what means gamebreaking ….

ANET you want more people on wvw …. right ? fix first the issues and gamebreaking situations that make new players do not want play on wvw and after all fixes through your “grenades” in wvw ….. please

If they can troll you, why can’t you? It’s not like one server gets white sword and the other doesn’t. The only reason i see you lose your keep here is that your server is severely outnumbered or your server just doesn’t care abt wvw at all. EBG keep is the least affected wvw objective from this patch.

in WvW

BlueBoy.1236

because i do not have a server place to discuss this situation or counter this situation ( only a stupid will go make /m to ask for help on megaservers .players from other servers will laugh to him ) and because the eb always is the home for new and casual wvw players . eb affected more from this patch , not the home border .

new players or casual players when they face a bad situation they are not staying to fight , they jump to other game mode or to eotm for their achievement .

dear mate , veterans players or wvw guilds can not play on all maps ….

Then my point was right. No server ts? no map hopping? no one responded to map chat? no one tried to ninja stuffs? It’s pretty obvious your server just doesn’t have any intention to defend at all. EBG is like the most populated map, you always have ppl to do something. When you don’t have anything on the map, it’s pretty obvious you just don’t try to do anything

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

agree . also the siegerazers are too poor optimized on situations ….let see all together a very nice photo ( see the attachement ).

a server with their population is creating a waypoint on your keep and manage trolls you and the new wvw players all the day , because it is fun for them and sucks for your server people .

if this is not gamebreaking for new wvw players i can not imagine what means gamebreaking ….

ANET you want more people on wvw …. right ? fix first the issues and gamebreaking situations that make new players do not want play on wvw and after all fixes through your “grenades” in wvw ….. please

If they can troll you, why can’t you? It’s not like one server gets white sword and the other doesn’t. The only reason i see you lose your keep here is that your server is severely outnumbered or your server just doesn’t care abt wvw at all. EBG keep is the least affected wvw objective from this patch.

Once they get a waypoint they do have white swords. And given many servers have severe population disparity at different times of the day, if a night/sea/eu crew manages to waypoint your things (or keep the waypoints up on their own structures) they have a significant advantage over those without waypoints until their stuff actually goes down.