Server Match up is terrible

in WvW

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

Goto http://mos.millenium.org/na look at the scores, Blackgate dominating Jade Quarry by 100k points, and Dragonbrand by 150k points. I’ve never been disgusted by the scores like this before, and its only Wednesday. Theres only 3 matchups of WvW that are going good right now out of 8 total. 5 matchups of 8 are a TOTAL blowout BAD MATCHMAKING.

Seriously you guys need to get some expert advice in matchmaking because not only does WvW matchmaking worse than before the tPvP matchmaking is just as bad as well.

People at anet need expert advice on matchmaking obviously they are doing it wrong over at anet headquarters. Because 5 matchups that are currently with 1 server winning by 100-200k lead is WAY WAY off of whakittens suppose to be and that’s 63% of being WAY WAY out of what your suppose to be and that’s just SAD.

Two things. First, Jade Quarry is the #3 server. If their inability to stack up against the #2 server disgusts you then I’m not really sure what could possibly make you happy…? SoR beat BG by over 90k week 20, and JQ by over 60k in week 21. That’s a fairly good beating in both cases if you ask me. How is this really that different? JQ gets to see how it matches with BG without SoR’s presence, that’s valuable information for both of them if you ask me.

Second, not all of the blowout matchups are “bad”. FA/Mag/EBay is fairly competitive despite the score, and a lot of fun, so please don’t speak for us. Also, blowouts happened on a weekly basis in nearly as many matchups in the tiered system, except every week had the same servers being blown out and the rating points necessary to fix this weren’t changing hands. Now that servers that aren’t use to being blown out are seeing for a single week what others have been experiencing for months, all of a sudden it’s unacceptable? That’s kind of sad.

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

in WvW

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Goto http://mos.millenium.org/na look at the scores, Blackgate dominating Jade Quarry by 100k points, and Dragonbrand by 150k points. I’ve never been disgusted by the scores like this before, and its only Wednesday. Theres only 3 matchups of WvW that are going good right now out of 8 total. 5 matchups of 8 are a TOTAL blowout BAD MATCHMAKING.

Seriously you guys need to get some expert advice in matchmaking because not only does WvW matchmaking worse than before the tPvP matchmaking is just as bad as well.

BG is the #2 ranked NA server, playing #3 ranked JQ. who do you expect Arenanet to match BG up against if not JQ? do you think the score would be closer if BG fought BP or GoM?

and the 3 “good” matchups are all ones that never would have been possible under the old matchup system. so the new system is an improvement, right?

-ken

Well they shouldn’t be playing with rank 6 team. The system should work like this, YOU WIN you move up, YOU LOSE you move down, you don’t win or lose YOU STAY.

None of this “lets pit a rank 7 world vs a rank 1 world” “oh the rank 7 world is losing by 130k points, I thought they’d do better than that”

“Lets pit the winner of T7 against the two losers of T8 for kicks” BWAHAHAHA they getting wooped by over 200k points.

Or pit a T5 server (Borlis Pass) against T7 servers. Your a 2 tier difference and higher in tier of course BP is going to stomp DR and HoD by 160k points. Theres only 3 matchups that are good right now and that’s because there isn’t any of this r1 world vs r7 world, they are good because they are closely ranked 9, 10, 11; 12, 17 15 (only oddball, lucky matchup); 20 18 16.

Both NA and EU have a lot of games where 1 WORLD is just dominating the other 2, and there is only ONE game on the EU side where 1 WORLD is getting DOMINATED by 2 worlds and its a race for 1st. Its best to have all 3 worlds racing for 1st but hard so its safer to have 2 worlds running for 1st and you failed with matchmaking when 1 world is dominating the other 2 by huge margin.

If you would have pitted BG SoR and TC together it would’ve been 2 servers trying to win rather than 1 server dominating. The very best world (#1) should NEVER have a worse face off than the 2nd best or 3rd best, RIGHT NOW IT DOES.

A good example of a good matchup is EU Elona Reach, Desolation and Baruch Bay.
A bad example of a good matchup is NA Borlis Pass, Henge of Denvari and Devona’s Rest.

But if you want to see how Henge of Denvari does against Devona’s Rest with someone destroying them and whose better and that’s your idea of good matchups then keep on keeping on. Maybe I’ll start to like these “lets see how these two servers do in this screnario” type matchups as well. Maybe I’ll start liking 1 server winning by 100-300k points while 2 other servers fight it out with only 100k points between each of them, because they just hold there keep and don’t show progress at all, while the superpower world racks up crazy amounts of points.

This current system its ONE world domination. This current system is the opposite of what it should be because 2 worlds are struggling for 2nd place, a good system is 2 servers struggling for 1st. Because aint nobody cares whose 2nd. Nobody remembers who placed 2nd in the Olympics or the struggle for 2nd. People remember the struggle for 1st.

If the NFL had a system where one team could dominate and automatically be claimed the winner or the #1, it wouldn’t get many viewers of people watching the fight of the 2nd and 3rd teams fighting for 2nd as it would for the 1st and 2nd teams going for 1st.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in WvW

Khayoss.2019

Well they shouldn’t be playing with rank 6 team. The system should work like this, YOU WIN you move up, YOU LOSE you move down, you don’t win or lose YOU STAY.

That is the worst possible system. It guarantees that every other week a T1 server is fighting a T3 server (#3 vs #7, best case scenario, #1 vs #9 in a perfect storm), and the like repeated in every tier – which is exactly what you are complaining about happening here randomly and only for one week at a time.

Did you even give 1 minutes thought to this before you complained?

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

I hate to add to this negative Nancy-fest, but I assume some ANet folks try to read through this, maybe even Devon though he has to be taking some of what has been said personally (and I’ll admit I even pointed it his way.)

I think I speak for everyone here is saying that WvW is what keeps us coming back to GW2. I’d enjoy the game if it was PvE and TPvP only; but it wouldn’t nearly as big of a thing as it is in my life without it.

ANet took a great idea, RvR, and made it better. They have gone to great lengths to create a game format that is not only visually appealing, but with layers upon layers of complexity. From the small skirmishes in lower tier battles to the massive zerg onslaughts of more populated matches; this is a complex game format.

A lot of people were unhappy with match stagnation and something needed to be changed.
To be fair, Mission Accomplished.

My server and a few others got spanked around a bit, but that’s ok. I can’t speak for others, but we learned a bit about where our strengths and weaknesses lie and we’ll be stronger for it.

However, it’s ran it’s course; there is no more useful data to be gleaned, no more score corrections that would benefit anyone.

JQ can no longer be laughed at when they say they need more people. People can stop talking about bandwagoning and DB in the same sentence. Maguuma learned that it had less reason to talk smack than it thought and several servers are free of a nightmare matchup that refused to end.
Is there anything left for anyone in facing a server that is 5 or more spots higher in the rankings?

Take this abomination, put a pillow over it’s head, and let it go away.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

That is the worst possible system. It guarantees that every other week a T1 server is fighting a T3 server (#3 vs #7, best case scenario, #1 vs #9 in a perfect storm), and the like repeated in every tier – which is exactly what you are complaining about happening here randomly and only for one week at a time.

Don’t see how its worse than what we’ve currently got, the matchups would be more even.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Khally.5103

Khally.5103

THANK YOU.

in WvW

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

clearly you haven’t thought this through.

let’s go back to week 21, just before the new matchup system went into place.

JQ lost in tier 1, and TC won in tier 2, so JQ would go down and TC would go up. likewise, swap DB/Mag, YB/SoS, SBI/EB, AR/DH, IoJ/GoM and NSP/HoD. so we’d have these matches:
SoR / BG / TC
JQ / FA / Mag
DB / Kain / SoS
YB / CD / EB
SBI / BP / DH
AR / SF / GoM
IoJ / DR / HoD
NSP / FC / ET

what do you think the outcomes would have been? let’s look at T1. SoR is beating TC by a ton this week. you’re actually complaining that SoR vs TC is a bad matchup, yet that is exactly what Winner Up Loser Down would have given you last week. do you really think that taking SoS out of the match and putting BG in their place would have helped TC do better? no, they’d be doing even worse because they’d be up against 2 tough opponents instead of 1 easy and 1 hard.

how about T2? FA is beating Mag this week by a ton. yet WULD would have put them together. even worse, it would have thrown JQ in there to pile on Mag as well.

the other tiers would mostly be similar (except YB/CD/EB would probably have been a good matchup).

so, what would happen the following week? TC would lose against SoR and BG and drop down. JQ would win against FA and Mag and come up. you would end up with SoR BG and JQ again, which is exactly the same matchup you started with. likewise with the other tiers — servers would mostly settle in the same positions they had the week before.

and the matches you consider “good” this week? not a single one of them would have happened under WULD (except maybe CD/YB/Kain, but only after several weeks and only if exactly the right wins and losses happened in exactly the right order).

-ken

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Khayoss.2019

Don’t see how its worse than what we’ve currently got, the matchups would be more even.

They would be less even on a more consistent basis.

@Chris, I find myself agreeing with most of your post. I still don’t think that the random system has run its course though. Some of the gap variations have been fixed, but it’s still not quite there. Also, the accurately depicted chasm that separates the middle of the pack servers would still be unbridgeable for any who rise in ranks without some form of random component that allows a server to be tested against a higher or lower ranked server. After a couple more weeks the deviation can probably be tightened up, but if you get rid of it altogether then 2-3 months from now we are sitting in the same or worse position than we were in before randomness started. Tiers have only one outcome: inaccurate separation of tiers due to repeatedly facing the same opponents.

Also, we’ve learned that there are a wide variety of viable matchups in the back half of the ranked servers. Why would we take that away?

Someone did suggest manual match making. I can’t argue with that suggestion. I don’t know how hard it would be to implement or how time consuming it would be for someone to do the work every week, but that’s the one idea that I could be on board with if randomness was done away with.

in WvW

uberkingkong.8041

Your theory only works if the servers are always constant and never changing. That is not the case with GW2 servers have issues and change often. SoS went from T1 to T3, JQ went from #1 to #3. You never know a bunch of guilds might move to ET and ET could become T1 #1 server. Like SoR but in less dramatic change. BG was #1 because a guild went there, now SoR is #1 because they have IRON that moved there. Things change, and it will never always be r3 T1 server moves to T2 and always wins, that will not ALWAYS happen.

If things never changed yes my theory would be bad, but GW2 is an ever changing game, you will always have interesting matchups if matched correctly. If matched wrong you will have what you see this week, nothing but 1 world dominating 2 other worlds by over 100k points. There is also no competition in this because its very random. In my theory of how it should be runned, maybe the T3 server winning facing that T1 server that is losing will decide “hey its you again, I’ve upped my game this time I’m winning”. However in a more likely scenario the T1 server that dropped and the T2 server that didn’t win will go neck to neck for advancement. As you can see Jade Quarry isn’t that far from Dragonbrand in terms of points, but it would be more of a good game if SoS was in that matchup besides Blackgate, because SoS isn’t too far off TC, I could tell that a JQ/DB/SoS game would have been a good one, with JQ winning of course, but it wouldn’t have been a 100k+ blowout and DB could have a chance to win if odds stacked against JQ. Right now JQ and DB are just getting points trying to hold stuff from BG taking everything, its a who can hold them better wins 2nd place and who cant places 3rd game right now in BG/JQ/DB. As with all those other blowout games, whoever holds there stuff better wins 2nd and that’s not very fun.

With current system its fingers crossed “I hope we are matched with servers 7 ranks below us so we get good WvW rewards all week and lots of bags” while other two worlds get angry with disgust because they are in no competition to the superpower server.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

clearly you haven’t thought this through.

let’s go back to week 21, just before the new matchup system went into place.

JQ lost in tier 1, and TC won in tier 2, so JQ would go down and TC would go up. likewise, swap DB/Mag, YB/SoS, SBI/EB, AR/DH, IoJ/GoM and NSP/HoD. so we’d have these matches:
SoR / BG / TC
JQ / FA / Mag
DB / Kain / SoS
YB / CD / EB
SBI / BP / DH
AR / SF / GoM
IoJ / DR / HoD
NSP / FC / ET

what do you think the outcomes would have been? let’s look at T1. SoR is beating TC by a ton this week. you’re actually complaining that SoR vs TC is a bad matchup, yet that is exactly what Winner Up Loser Down would have given you last week. do you really think that taking SoS out of the match and putting BG in their place would have helped TC do better? no, they’d be doing even worse because they’d be up against 2 tough opponents instead of 1 easy and 1 hard.

how about T2? FA is beating Mag this week by a ton. yet WULD would have put them together. even worse, it would have thrown JQ in there to pile on Mag as well.

the other tiers would mostly be similar (except YB/CD/EB would probably have been a good matchup).

so, what would happen the following week? TC would lose against SoR and BG and drop down. JQ would win against FA and Mag and come up. you would end up with SoR BG and JQ again, which is exactly the same matchup you started with. likewise with the other tiers — servers would mostly settle in the same positions they had the week before.

and the matches you consider “good” this week? not a single one of them would have happened under WULD (except maybe CD/YB/Kain, but only after several weeks and only if exactly the right wins and losses happened in exactly the right order).

-ken

This is amazing, I never realized intelligent people existed on the forums.

in WvW

Posted by: Malachi.1836

Malachi.1836

A lot of people are constantly asking for balance this and balance that. The problem remains that until people either:
A) stop playing matches for score
B) ANet balances servers BASED ON POPULATION
C) the WvW population takes it upon themselves to truly balance populations and servers

There will never be “balanced” match ups. They will have fun match-ups which a lot of servers are having right now based entirely on trying to compensate for lower numbers with skill, but they will never be truly balanced.

I have no problem fighting larger groups, and more numbers. That has always been an interesting challenge, and I think that most individuals who played past pvp games (I always love to compare every game that came out to UO, as it seems that games pvpers had a incredibly different mindsets from every game after it) will feel the same. Id rather fight a losing battle and have fun than constantly dominate, yet it seems in today’s games that’s the minority.

[FIST] Yaks Bend

in WvW

Khayoss.2019

Your theory only works if the servers are always constant and never changing. That is not the case with GW2 servers have issues and change often. SoS went from T1 to T3, JQ went from #1 to #3. You never know a bunch of guilds might move to ET and ET could become T1 #1 server. Like SoR but in less dramatic change. BG was #1 because a guild went there, now SoR is #1 because they have IRON that moved there. Things change, and it will never always be r3 T1 server moves to T2 and always wins, that will not ALWAYS happen.

If things never changed yes my theory would be bad, but GW2 is an ever changing game, you will always have interesting matchups if matched correctly.

Do you know how many servers have ever fought in T1? Six. From November until now (discounting October when the initial rankings were settling properly), only 6 servers have ever placed #1, #2, or #3. And each server that has been in the top 3 held its spot for significant amount of time – Jade Quarry has placed in all 3 spots, but never dropped to #4.

Servers like Kaineng who rise from the ashes because of mass transfers are few and far between. Yes, landscapes change, but not on a weekly or even monthly basis. Your idea of ever changing worlds resulting in interesting matchups is a warped sense of reality.

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

JQ, HoD, SoR, SoS, BG, IoJ, ET, SBI, CD and now DB (hey, it still counts… kinda) … I think that’s the full T1 list. Of course, when you look at it, it’s pretty much all of the same people, just shifted around here and there. JQ was #4 once, actually… in September, I believe. But, anyway, not important in the grand scheme of things

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

BG is the #2 ranked NA server, playing #3 ranked JQ. who do you expect Arenanet to match BG up against if not JQ? do you think the score would be closer if BG fought BP or GoM?

and the 3 “good” matchups are all ones that never would have been possible under the old matchup system. so the new system is an improvement, right?

-ken

No the new system is not an improvement. Who do we expect Anet to match Blackgate and Jade Quarry with? SoR of course, that is their match up because their WvW populace is the closest. Once the system stabilizes, guess whose going to be in T1?

Blackgate
Sanctum of Rall
Jade Quarry

Guess who will be in T2?

Tarnished Coast
Fort Aspenwood
Dragonbrand

Exactly like the matches we had 3 weeks ago. The old system was better and far more accurate as the matches were far more even. All this new system is, is adding in a lengthy scenic route to the inevitable match ups while discouraging many WvW’ers along the way who may end up just leaving all together.

You can’t say the new system is better when the match-ups are so lop-sided that you can’t even make it to your own garrison, let alone take it over. You can’t say the new system is better when 1 server has so many more people, they literally could control all 4 maps within 2 hours on reset night AND spawn camp the rest of the week with relative ease.

You also have to take into consideration a server like SoR where apparently one of their largest guilds (or largest maybe) are guesting on a T1 server at the moment, until they draw more even competition. There was also someone on here mentioning many people and some of their commanders havn’t even logged on this week.

You can’t, say the new system is better when things like this are happening.

in WvW

Posted by: Areoh.7495

Areoh.7495

Ah, so again, while I am sleeping then at work, we lose everything in the eternal battlegrounds… lovely.

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

JQ, HoD, SoR, SoS, BG, IoJ, ET, SBI, CD and now DB (hey, it still counts… kinda) … I think that’s the full T1 list. Of course, when you look at it, it’s pretty much all of the same people, just shifted around here and there. JQ was #4 once, actually… in September, I believe. But, anyway, not important in the grand scheme of things

CD was never T1, we started in T2 at the beginning of week long matches and then gradually moved down to where we are now.

in WvW

Posted by: Neuromancer.2148

Neuromancer.2148

Here’s a crazy idea for blowout matches: focused 2v1.

Apprentice Namer – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Not always realistic.

50 players plus 70 players is still less than one third of 400 players. That’s the type of situation we’re seeing in some tiers this week.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Jalad Lantana.3027

Jalad Lantana.3027

I think the system that works for major league baseball, the NFL and NASCAR, where whoever wins the most matchups with a final series each season, is number 1.

Sure there are blow outs occasionally, that the nature of competition. But skill is rewarded, you don’t need a PHD in math to understand the results, and most importantly it is fun and entertaining.

The only people I see applauding this WvW fiasco are a few math pin heads, a few elitists in the upper tiers looking to jockey this to their advantage. Everyone else is being subjected to more than average number of egregious match ups.

When 75% of the winning worlds are losing ranking, something is dreadfully wrong.
Until that percentage comes down, players here are not going to be happy campers.

HOD
Guardian / Ranger / Mesmer / Necro / Warrior
Played since 1st online ‘demo’ months before the BWEs.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Not always realistic.

50 players plus 70 players is still less than one third of 400 players. That’s the type of situation we’re seeing in some tiers this week.

I have to agree it is not always realistic at all times of the day. And I know it is frustrating. But it is absolutley realistic and it works at certain times and on certain maps.

In your example, the server with 400 people are not going to get them all on one map. Anet won’t say what the actual numbers are but it seems to be around 100 or less. So in your example, the server with 400 people can only get 100 (say even its 130) on a map. Whereas the other two servers combined population is 120. You’re not going to win, you’re not going to conquer the entire map. But that is plenty for you all to at least have fun and have good fights.

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)

in WvW

Snowreap.5174

the system that works for MLB, the NFL and NASCAR works because all the participants are very close in skill level to each other. in MLB and the NFL, the draft system and salary caps ensure that talent is spread evenly among all the teams. and in NASCAR, strict rules about car and engine design ensure that everyone is on a similar footing — you don’t see indy cars and sprint cars in the same races.

GW2 doesn’t have any system in place to ensure that the different servers are close to equal strength. the difference in strength between SoR and ET is huge, and there is no point in ever having them play against each other.

would major league baseball be fun and entertaining if half of the games ended in scores of 650 to 4? no, it would not. it’s fun and entertaining only when the teams are closely matched.

that’s the big problem in GW2, server strength varies widely. and there’s almost nothing you can do about it — you cannot force people to play on servers they don’t want to. as long as you allow people to choose what server to play on, and as long as population remains such an important factor in WvW, this is the way it’s going to be.

-ken

in WvW

Chris.3290

If things never changed yes my theory would be bad, but GW2 is an ever changing game, you will always have interesting matchups if matched correctly.

Do you know how many servers have ever fought in T1? Six. From November until now (discounting October when the initial rankings were settling properly), only 6 servers have ever placed #1, #2, or #3. And each server that has been in the top 3 held its spot for significant amount of time – Jade Quarry has placed in all 3 spots, but never dropped to #4.

Servers like Kaineng who rise from the ashes because of mass transfers are few and far between. Yes, landscapes change, but not on a weekly or even monthly basis. Your idea of ever changing worlds resulting in interesting matchups is a warped sense of reality.

Quick correction, JQ did drop to #4. It was against IoJ and CD and it was a bloodbath.

in WvW

Chris.3290

Well, let’s see what tonight brings. Which T2 server will get hot n’ steamy T1 sandwich action?
Will everyone roll a zero and be lulled into complacency?

Will SoS roll ridiculously high or low and you’ll get another week of my bad attitude?

STAY TUNED!

in WvW

Posted by: Khally.5103

Khally.5103

Good luck with today’s reset, to everyone out there. That’s all I have to say.

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

the system that works for MLB, the NFL and NASCAR works because all the participants are very close in skill level to each other. in MLB and the NFL, the draft system and salary caps ensure that talent is spread evenly among all the teams. and in NASCAR, strict rules about car and engine design ensure that everyone is on a similar footing — you don’t see indy cars and sprint cars in the same races.

GW2 doesn’t have any system in place to ensure that the different servers are close to equal strength. the difference in strength between SoR and ET is huge, and there is no point in ever having them play against each other.

would major league baseball be fun and entertaining if half of the games ended in scores of 650 to 4? no, it would not. it’s fun and entertaining only when the teams are closely matched.

that’s the big problem in GW2, server strength varies widely. and there’s almost nothing you can do about it — you cannot force people to play on servers they don’t want to. as long as you allow people to choose what server to play on, and as long as population remains such an important factor in WvW, this is the way it’s going to be.

-ken

You have quickly become one of my favorite posters on this sub-forum.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

in WvW

Chris.3290

I echo McGinley, it’s nice that someone understands the system(s) and can explain why they mathematically suck.

in WvW

Chris.3290

BTW, look at what happened to EU this week. I know the upper tiers are closer in skill and rank than NA but some of those matchups are insane.

I’m really hoping for some stability for this week.

in WvW

Feed Me Change.6528

BTW, look at what happened to EU this week. I know the upper tiers are closer in skill and rank than NA but some of those matchups are insane.

How do you define stability?

in WvW

Posted by: Ariames.5108

Ariames.5108

dream on mate, anet will keep going untill everyone gets bored of GW2, they got no clue. Augury rock vs underworld vs fort ranik…. lol just lol… im done

Every single game I start devs ruin it cus they dont play the game decently themselves… and so it happened with gw2 since the buff of ac and now ruin the wvw system.

in WvW

Posted by: Caliban.3176

Caliban.3176

LOL, Augury Rock, Underworld, Fort Ranik. This makes so much sense. Thanks Anet. Awesome job.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
7.2k+ hours played on Minesweeper

in WvW

Chris.3290

Well we had two high rolls and I hope for one slightly low. Basically I’d like to “get the band back together” and face the new T3, Maguuma and KN.

Though it would be a mismatch, we never did get our fight with Ehmry Bay. We spent a lot of time wondering how we’d match up with them and I wouldn’t mind finding out before they tone down the RNG component.

I also wouldn’t fall into tears if we drew FA and no other server that is higher than them. That would be a tough fight, but I think we could manage not to embarrass ourselves.

Also, FA is close enough in ranking that if they did roflstomp us, we’d finally lose some points.

in WvW

Feed Me Change.6528

Well we had two high rolls and I hope for one slightly low. Basically I’d like to “get the band back together” and face the new T3, Maguuma and KN.

Though it would be a mismatch, we never did get our fight with Ehmry Bay. We spent a lot of time wondering how we’d match up with them and I wouldn’t mind finding out before they tone down the RNG component.

I also wouldn’t fall into tears if we drew FA and no other server that is higher than them. That would be a tough fight, but I think we could manage not to embarrass ourselves.

Also, FA is close enough in ranking that if they did roflstomp us, we’d finally lose some points.

I assume you are on SoS, as am I. Yeah, it sucked these last 2 weeks, but looking at the % of T1/2 servers, we should get a more favorable match-up this week.

I hope that guilds in T1 get tired of these blow outs and try to move to lower rated servers, a kind of population rebalance if you will. That is the only way these kind of match-ups wouldn’t happen, which is sadly out of ANet hands unless they offer free transfers to Medium Servers again.

The match-ups are only terrible because players stacked 3-6 servers to win all the time rather than spread out the population so there are equal sized armies.

edit: ANet is looking for a long-term solution that offer the best of both worlds: close match-ups and proper representation of server’s strength. It is very hard to do that with the current population imbalance in WvW and without blowout, we never know the server’s true strength.

Look at SF, they were stuck in T8 for months, and finally got out and were comfy in T6. Without server’s being matched up against stronger servers, we can’t know exactly how they’d do.. almost a Schrodinger’s Cat if you will.

(edited by Feed Me Change.6528)

in WvW

Chris.3290

Yeah, I’m from SoS.

I think it would be ok if we had at least 6 competitive servers; but the top tiers have been too volatile. Apparently even FA is going through some internal problems now.

It also doesn’t help that TC and DB don’t have near the capability to provide a good match to T1. Guilds continue to go to BG (and never be heard from again) and JQ and SoR have built up massive numbers for months now.

When SBI and SoS imploded, the majority of those who left ended up in Tier 1 servers (some former SoS went TC). The same is happening with FA and Kaineng now.

I have no scuttlebutt to back this up, but I think NNK will get tired of being DB’s crutch eventually and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them start shopping around.

Anyhow, I like our server how we are now and I just hope we get better matchups. My measuring stick for quality WvW is if you can head out at your normal playing time, go into WvW, and have good fights. Some won, some lost; and most decided by tactics and skill.

If this week was a cut of beef; I’d rate it as Pink Slime. LOL

in WvW

Posted by: Phoenix.3416

Phoenix.3416

You guys are complaining over nothing :P UW is currently getting slaughtered by a server 13 ranks higher… 13! thats insane.

in WvW

Posted by: izze.3284

izze.3284

Yeah, but Fort Ranik border gets punished hard by AR aswell so we are not alone, but it is very sad to see that we face a server that is ranked 7 when we are ranked 20…

[SWAG]Izze
Frostfang, Howler, 2x Sunrise, Predator, Kamohoali’ Kotaki

in WvW

Snowreap.5174

13 ranks sounds like a lot, but it’s only a 400 point rating difference. a 400 point rating difference between servers in the same matchup is quite a bit, but without a gap that large Vabbi and FoW would always end up playing the same third server over and over.

making the randomness high enough to get some variety in the EU tier 9 match is probably resulting in a bit too much randomness in the other tiers (and I use the term ‘tier’ loosely). but I don’t have any good ideas on how to fix this. Vabbi and FoW need more players. maybe ArenaNet needs to create a “bonus” system where players in the bottom-ranked world get some free gems every week or something.

-ken

in WvW

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

I am really, really kitten ed off. Either you’re on a high-pop server or have basically have to gtfo. Zerging, bubbeling, lags, lags and lags. Another week, another slaughtering by a high-pop server.

Man, if only there was another fantasy game with decent WvW I would change in a blink of an eye …

in WvW

Posted by: Dane.9480

Dane.9480

Well for the last 14 days we got our “censored” kicked ….. but we still move up ranks .

This week …well …… new games are coming out :p

in WvW

Posted by: Caliban.3176

Caliban.3176

13 ranks sounds like a lot, but it’s only a 400 point rating difference. a 400 point rating difference between servers in the same matchup is quite a bit, but without a gap that large Vabbi and FoW would always end up playing the same third server over and over.

making the randomness high enough to get some variety in the EU tier 9 match is probably resulting in a bit too much randomness in the other tiers (and I use the term ‘tier’ loosely). but I don’t have any good ideas on how to fix this. Vabbi and FoW need more players. maybe ArenaNet needs to create a “bonus” system where players in the bottom-ranked world get some free gems every week or something.

-ken

I’m in that matchup (the higher ranked server) and it may only be 400 points. But as said by the devs, points don’t mean anything. The difference between these servers is enormous.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
7.2k+ hours played on Minesweeper

in WvW

Khayoss.2019

This weeks NA matchups look really good to me. The only server that got really screwed is CD…

in WvW

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

This is the inherent problem in forcing unbalanced servers to play maps that are designed with balance of servers in mind. The larger server wins no no matter what.

At it’s core WvW is broken because player motivation is narrowed and focused towards few goals due to the game mode being regimented through matches and a point based system. In a more tightly designed games this system favors balance and fairness of play, but in GW2 it provides scores to all the wrong things like mass zerging and night capping and tells the servers that exploit these mechanics the best that they won.

in WvW

Posted by: silverfire.2547

silverfire.2547

As long as the deviation cap numbers get tweaked like they promised they’d do, there’s nothing wrong with this system except forgetting to order the servers within the matchups by color.

It’s inherently broken to allow the highest rated server to own the most defensible keep on EB and easiest SM treb spots and for the lowest rated server to have an uphill battle.

I understand the matchup variety was institued in part to pacify the PvE kittenheads’ incessant whining about map completion for the legendary weapons that they deserve, but regardless of how each matchup came to be, top rated should always be green, lowest rated should always be red, and that leaves the third team with blue.

Whether it was intentional or not, EB was designed such that each color had defensive advantages/disadvantages and used the team colors to assign those strategic nuances to the correct teams.

Mira Alluvion (Me) | Hanna Bulwark (W) | Sophie Dusthaven (Th)
[CoSA]/[WWGD] // Sorrow’s Furnace (since August 2012) US West Evening Shift

in WvW

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

This week’s matchup looks broken. How can a server who lost a match by as much as 100,000+ points gets paired with them again?

-S o S-

in WvW

uberkingkong.8041

You guys like how BG destroys JQ and DB by over 100k points and then Jade Quarry advances to #2 best server and DB advances to #4 server.

While TC moved down and is facing T3 and T4 servers.

in WvW

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

As a TC player, I don’t really care about the points moving up or down, but TC is now severely outmanning SoS and CD. It’s not a fun matchup for anyone.

I was on the receiving end of this last week vs SoR…and now on the giving end, I see it’s not really fun at all. Sure we were happy to be winning again, but then the game became about spot the enemy zerg, and race over there to whipe them hopefully before the other friendly zerg gets there. There is really not much challenge, and I anticipate the main challenge this week will be keeping people interested in wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Hematuria.4051

Hematuria.4051

Congrats Anet on making reset night unbearable and pointless. Might as well brainstorm another silly holiday event to take over for WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Sol.8341

Sol.8341

On the Brightside, it’s summertime and Dragonbash event is on for those taking a break from WvW. Before it was Southsun Cove event.

It might be coincidence but there is always a PvE event available for those servers designated as the victim server to be bashed up every week since the matchup equation change.

in WvW

Posted by: Mnl.8146

Mnl.8146

LOL, Augury Rock, Underworld, Fort Ranik. This makes so much sense. Thanks Anet. Awesome job.

I know how you feel… For the past few weeks FSP (T5) has been matched to T3 servers only.

Two weeks ago FSP was farmed by Gandara/AG.

Last week we were farmed by Globbadon (Abbadon’s Mouth) who outmanned FSP and Gandarra 2:1 easelly. In the end they had olmost as much points as FSP and Gandarra COMBINED. This was a horrible week for me since all AM could do is blob 40+ and faceroll the map.

This week it seems we will be getting farmed by Piken Square, they already have more points then FSP and DL combined. (Current FSP tick 25…)

Well done Anet, you have made WvW more challenging and exiting for us. No really, thank you, you did a wonderfull job.

(edited by Mnl.8146)

in WvW

Posted by: discrepancy.8312

discrepancy.8312

Two things. First, Jade Quarry is the #3 server. If their inability to stack up against the #2 server disgusts you then I’m not really sure what could possibly make you happy…? SoR beat BG by over 90k week 20, and JQ by over 60k in week 21. That’s a fairly good beating in both cases if you ask me. How is this really that different? JQ gets to see how it matches with BG without SoR’s presence, that’s valuable information for both of them if you ask me.

Part of the problem is that the scoring system doesn’t take into account the fluctuations in the percentage of active players that participate in WvW from week to week.

(edited by discrepancy.8312)

in WvW

Posted by: Cottage Pie.6215

Cottage Pie.6215

Anet must want to literally kill WvW, I guess WvW’ers don’t buy enough gems? I can’t believe they actually went ahead with the randomising on top of the old, broken system, it’s completely absurd.

Taua Roqa – Desolation since day minus 3

~~~My Elite PvP Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xOsNW7zTA