Server Population Status: 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Lilyandra.1465

Lilyandra.1465

I think there is a soft cap on servers. I am on TC, and while back in the day you could wait until 4am or 5 am est time to transfer over that no longer seems the case. I have a friend brand new to the game and I couldn’t get him on TC. We both watched for a week and the two times that the server was open only lasted for a few minutes.

We now have 6 full servers, SoS has been Very Full at times, along with JQ but this is the second time i’ve seen this 10$ GW2 sale within a few months. Aren’t they expecting most of the servers to go Full?

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Saturday night, 5:45 PM CST, JQ downgraded to “Very High” for a few minutes. I know this because we had 2 that moved over and were discussing it. I logged out and it did say Very High.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

Saturday night, 5:45 PM CST, JQ downgraded to “Very High” for a few minutes. I know this because we had 2 that moved over and were discussing it. I logged out and it did say Very High.

fatty… as soon as you log server status changes -.-

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Lol a server in T4 is full?

in WvW

Posted by: Grimaldi.8532

Grimaldi.8532

bump – Can you please address this as it has not been fixed and is causing large amounts of customer dissatisfaction. We never received a formal response and it is clear that with the advent of megaservers this has become a major problem as PVE and WvW are not the same.

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

My guess is that there is something in the works, but it isn’t ready or is still basically a rough idea. Given how there is absolutely zero back and forth communication these days and the last serious dev presence here was back in November, I fear that their “fix” will be a solution to a problem they don’t fully understand, yet again… Anet’s willingness to simply let the WvW community flail about and self-destruct is really disheartening, regardless of how great or not so great some new map might be, given we won’t likely see it before August…. that’s a lot time to let things fester.

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

If the solution to everyone’s woes is to have equally-populated servers, then we can accomplish this right now without any help from Anet:

Spread. Out.

Could you imagine how awesome things would be if everyone was tied for 1st? Every solo roamer who capped a camp would matter. Every player spike. Every tower and keep grabbed by a roaming group. Every beatdown a guild group put on another guild group. Every scout that warned of an approaching zerg. Everything that everyone did in the game would contribute to a matchup. Finally PPT’ers and “In it for the fights” people would be able to come together because they could both do what they love and still be contributing to the “win”.

Am I an idealist? Maybe. But I think it’d be awesome nonetheless. Heck, lets try it for a few months and see what happens!

(edited by Shademehr.1397)

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

If the solution to everyone’s woes is to have equally-populated servers, then we can accomplish this right now without any help from Anet:

Spread. Out.

Could you imagine how awesome things would be if everyone was tied for 1st? Every solo roamer who capped a camp would matter. Every player spike. Every tower and keep grabbed by a roaming group. Every beatdown a guild group put on another guild group. Every scout that warned of an approaching zerg. Everything that everyone did in the game would contribute to a matchup. Finally PPT’ers and “In it for the fights” people would be able to come together because they could both do what they love and still be contributing to the “win”.

Am I an idealist? Maybe. But I think it’d be awesome nonetheless. Heck, lets try it for a few months and see what happens!

How would spreading out help? WvW population has no effect on server status.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Considering the megaserver situation with PvE why does world population really matter anymore?

Seems that if you go ahead and allow transfers to any server that map caps would eventually solve all the problems. All the Gold servers can queue every BL when needed during NA Prime anyway(counting PvX and fairweathers). People who WvW don’t ,generally, want to wait in queues for very long. They will move to servers that allow them to play.

TLDR: Is population status even a good metric anymore? I don’t think so.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

its a good idea for a website. have a few trusted sources from each server send timestamped pics of the wvw info window as well as zergs at different times during the day.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

I’ll play along., example last week.

TC
Reset —-— Q’s 40 ebg … 20 on BL’s …
Sat – Thurs night —-— Q’s 20 ebg & 1 BL

NA Primetime. Cannot comment on other time zones.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

I’ll play along., example last week.

TC
Reset —-— Q’s 40 ebg … 20 on BL’s …
Sat – Thurs night —-— Q’s 20 ebg & 1 BL

NA Primetime. Cannot comment on other time zones.

I doubt that is true in the least.

in WvW

Hexin.5603

Will take screenshots next reset

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Will take screenshots next reset

Sorry, I misread your post. For what ever weird reason, I read it as if you were suggesting that was the map cap itself and not the queue, my apologies.

in WvW

Hexin.5603

oh lol no I wasn’t referring to map caps. I thought the endeavour was to help supplement information per server to understand the map caps. Like what average map q’s are during what periods coupled with some screenshots of commanders counting there zerg. All good dancingmonkey

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Its pretty surprising that a server like Darkhaven went full right after the $10 sale went live O.o

WoW! This is really serious issue now. Is anet actively doing anything? Why a T4 server will go full, even for awhile. Anet WvW team need to seriously start looking at the population, you are making a lot of players really frustrated. If you are already working on something, at least do a soft fix like increasing the cap on particular servers. TBH, I find it puzzling why even the last ranked server is rated Very High.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

Its pretty surprising that a server like Darkhaven went full right after the $10 sale went live O.o

WoW! This is really serious issue now. Is anet actively doing anything? Why a T4 server will go full, even for awhile. Anet WvW team need to seriously start looking at the population, you are making a lot of players really frustrated. If you are already working on something, at least do a soft fix like increasing the cap on particular servers. TBH, I find it puzzling why even the last ranked server is rated Very High.

They could be setting servers to full in order to force the new accounts into the lower tiered servers and bring up their population.

BG

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

They could be setting servers to full in order to force the new accounts into the lower tiered servers and bring up their population.

It won’t have desire effects given that there are megaserver guilds going around, these new players might just hop into megaserver guilds and become pure PvERs. Not to forget that there are also existing pure PvErs.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

let’s hope not, that would make those servers even less competitive in WvW with all new players….

in WvW

coglin.1867

let’s hope not, that would make those servers even less competitive in WvW with all new players….

Wait. You made another thread to complain that it is “necessary” to transfer occasionally to have fun in WvW. Here you are against building a populated server community, because they might be new? That seems very contradictory in and of itself to me. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. In the scenario here, your either going to have to be happy with some new or returning players, or have the low population.

(edited by coglin.1867)

in WvW

Kanebrake.6192

Not right away but as the servers overall populations increases more people will start being active in wvw and the server will start to become more competitive.

BG

in WvW

Posted by: BLANE.8346

BLANE.8346

Would be nice if someone from Anet can leave some feedback

in WvW

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

Then they ought to set Maguuma and SBI to full. Why set Dragonbrand (2nd place t3) and Darkhaven (1st place t4) to full instead of Mag (1st place t3) and SBI (3rd place t3). Makes no sense. They must just be taking into account all dem pve accounts and probably inactive accounts as well.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Move all the the four to six month+ inactive accounts to lower populated servers.

Think that’s a perfect idea!

I see people in my guild who have not logged in in over a year! These should definitely be moved to the lowest server since they dont even play.

And then slow start filling from bottom up. If they ever do come back then they have the option of spending gold on gems to move up.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

IDK how the system works, but IMHO it would be pretty kitten to design a system that did not exclude excessively inactive accounts from total population calculations. So I’m gonna take a guess and say that such accounts are already excluded from the calculation because 1) we know from Anet that they are constantly monitoring and adjusting the cap and 2) a bunch of servers went Full again as long-time inactive players logged back in after HoT hype and then opened up a bit again as more accounts went inactive.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

coglin.1867

IDK how the system works, but IMHO it would be pretty kitten to design a system that did not exclude excessively inactive accounts from total population calculations. So I’m gonna take a guess and say that such accounts are already excluded from the calculation because 1) we know from Anet that they are constantly monitoring and adjusting the cap and 2) a bunch of servers went Full again as long-time inactive players logged back in after HoT hype and then opened up a bit again as more accounts went inactive.

The problem with that mentality is that this is a casual game, and design to be so. It has a concept designed around the idea that players are welcome to take time off and come and go as they please.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

The problem with that mentality is that this is a casual game, and design to be so. It has a concept designed around the idea that players are welcome to take time off and come and go as they please.

Consider the opposite: underutilized servers because excessively inactive accounts are never removed from the calculation and server communities could never get new accounts. New accounts go where?

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

coglin.1867

Consider the opposite: underutilized servers because excessively inactive accounts are never removed from the calculation and server communities could never get new accounts. New accounts go where?

On the underpopulated and underutilized servers of the players in this thread, who are complaining that they have a lack of server population?

Thou earlier in this thread, I suggested the value (if it isn’t how it is done already) to not count the accounts who haven’t played in 2 years.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

On the underpopulated and underutilized servers of the players in this thread, who are complaining that they have a lack of server population?

Thou earlier in this thread, I suggested the value (if it isn’t how it is done already) to not count the accounts who haven’t played in 2 years.

A lot of those servers historically had higher populations, and they didn’t lose them just from server transfers. Take SoR for example. It continued to have a very high population on its fall before Season 2. It didn’t lose those accounts to transfers. Counting that inactive population means that new accounts could not go there either.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

coglin.1867

You have evidence it was due to “inactive accounts”?

I suspect there are a great deal of players that are associated with a server, that play regularly and never step foot into WvW. Those accounts are possibly a problem in this situation as well.

(edited by coglin.1867)

in WvW

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

As i said before in this thread, “How could inactive account be part of the problem?” Many times, multiple servers have sad “blackouts” where they all log out for a period of time. This lowers the servers pop to allow xfers. If it was still counting inactive it would still count those who just logged out and this method would not be effective.

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

Get statistics from the last 3 months average server’s wvw population attendance and set the server status accordingly.

Do it every 3 months. Problem solved.

Blackouts won’t be an issue, unless big guilds are willing to stop logging in for long times, like more than one month. Unlikely to happen. And the servers status will always be true to the server’s WvW population.

[HUE]

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Get statistics from the last 3 months average server’s wvw population attendance and set the server status accordingly.

Do it every 3 months. Problem solved.

Blackouts won’t be an issue, unless big guilds are willing to stop logging in for long times, like more than one month. Unlikely to happen. And the servers status will always be true to the server’s WvW population.

This would work well imo. 1 month is too short, but 1 year is too long. 3 months seem to be a very good compromise.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Considering how a server status can change during the day (how many are on), and that guilds can log out to change status etc. It looks like the server status is based on "currently online" accounts. Not accounts that are offline.

So 2 year old accounts, or inactive accounts etc, shouldn’t count for how full a server is.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Grimaldi.8532

Grimaldi.8532

This is what makes it so troublesome, with the advent of cross-server pve guilds who are on a server in name only, since they are counting towards the total, at a point blackouts become arbitrary because the PvE community dwarfs the WvW community that even if all the WvW centric players log out, it is not enough to shift the server off full status. This is why it becomes such a dire problem as the players have no control over fixing this situation and our only deliverance comes from someone with the authority to respond and acknowledge this problem.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

sry i know this post is old but it is where i was brought to when i clicked on the thread

the problem with this is that we dont know and cant know how many of these new accounts are actually poeple buying 2nd and 3rd accounts for themselves.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Then they ought to set Maguuma and SBI to full. Why set Dragonbrand (2nd place t3) and Darkhaven (1st place t4) to full instead of Mag (1st place t3) and SBI (3rd place t3). Makes no sense. They must just be taking into account all dem pve accounts and probably inactive accounts as well.

What? No don’t set SBI to Full. We’re the weakling in the match.

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Not to mention FA and YB 1 and 2 in t2 not full…..

The calculation for full does seem odd or outdated since megaserver….

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

I have a feeling you didn’t read my post lol. We’re lower ranked to you and we got set to full. That seems to counter the idea that Anet is just setting high tier servers to full to get people to move down. I never said SBI should be full?

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

in WvW

Posted by: Rocketmist.5436

Rocketmist.5436

Just a crazy theory but what if anet’s determination of server population status is based on the strain that is on their servers and not based on the actual amount of players. If lets say dragonbrand’s server was running at 90%+ it might be considered full status. This might explain why even servers with very small populations are labelled as “very high” because we all know anet works the servers to the max all the time.

[TL] Guild Leader, Sea of Sorrows, SoS Council

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

I really hope it doesn’t have anything to do with server strain. If so wouldn’t a few servers be status BROKEN.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

in WvW

Kanebrake.6192

Just a crazy theory but what if anet’s determination of server population status is based on the strain that is on their servers and not based on the actual amount of players. If lets say dragonbrand’s server was running at 90%+ it might be considered full status. This might explain why even servers with very small populations are labelled as “very high” because we all know anet works the servers to the max all the time.

I can’t imagine that they would base their server population status on how hard the server itself is being worked. They’d just upgrade the system to something that could handle the load.

BG

in WvW

Posted by: RacoonLord.5016

RacoonLord.5016

Eredon Terrace is in the middle of an Exodus right now….. We just had 3 major guilds leave in a week. One of these guilds [Flames of Courage] was pretty much the only thing between us and utter oblivion….

in WvW

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

The sad truth is that when 1 low population server is paired with 2 other stronger servers, the players of the weaker server are just mobs content to be farmed by the other 2 stronger servers.

They keep being chased and killed providing drops, XP, badges, WvW XP, etc to the stronger servers.

That is why weak servers almost do not show up at WvW. When weaker servers do not show up at WvW, the stronger servers players get much less rewards.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

in WvW

Posted by: Cirah Ravenheart.9618

Cirah Ravenheart.9618

I rarely WvW but I recently came back to the game after not playing for a few months to catch up my story prior to HoT. Most of my guild are not playing still but I invited two people I have been playing other games with to play GW2. Im on JQ so they have the game but can’t make characters on my server. Weird that it’s constantly full since I never see more than maybe 8 players at a time in PVE unless I am in LA, and I rarely go into ‘overflow’. Why is my server always full? I too am curious as to what it is based on.

in WvW

Posted by: swellercross.3974

swellercross.3974

Same situation on SOS ,to many guild wants to transfer to play at wvw but they cant it says server is full ,bring one of T3 servers to compete at WVW cause SOS never wins week by week

in WvW

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

I rarely WvW but I recently came back to the game after not playing for a few months to catch up my story prior to HoT. Most of my guild are not playing still but I invited two people I have been playing other games with to play GW2. Im on JQ so they have the game but can’t make characters on my server. Weird that it’s constantly full since I never see more than maybe 8 players at a time in PVE unless I am in LA, and I rarely go into ‘overflow’. Why is my server always full? I too am curious as to what it is based on.

Server is full because stacked for WvW and all timezones, so they aren’t all on when you are. You are never in an ‘overflow’ anymore because well actually all maps outside of WvW are now ‘overflow’ maps. You have no designated pve server maps anymore. It’s all ‘Megaserver’. You share it with lots of people. Catch is they are either spread out all over the place, or just following the world boss train, so if you don’t do that, you still only see a few people out and about.

in WvW

Posted by: Phuriok.9307

Phuriok.9307

Hey Grim, I was googling server populations as i’ve been rebuilding Epic and more and more players have been wanting to transfer to DB to wvw with the guild and yet they can’t because of a “full” server population, but as you stated and as i’ve been very frustrated with… The only relevance to which home server a player belongs to is WvW and yet with the megaserver not displaying home server’s there’s no way for us to target the DB players directly without spamming map chat 24/7. So it seems a bit odd (from a competitive WvW perspective) that we can’t transfer in the players that actually want to represent a server in the only way that you can anymore in contrast to the players that have no idea that they even belong to a server because they just pve with all the others.

So I agree with you Grim, and while I’m spending multiple hours a day building a community (with DB at its center) this is a huge and possibly insurmountable hurdle that is stopping us from a chance at improving our WvW standing.

Perhaps I’ll start doing some map spams that specifically target DB players and try to build a following based on that, but something tells me im going to have a very low return rate with that method. Even if the devs don’t respond, i hope you guys are reading this.

~ Phuriok
Commander, Guild Leader of [Epic] Muffins
DragonBrand for life

in WvW

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Hey Grim, I was googling server populations as i’ve been rebuilding Epic and more and more players have been wanting to transfer to DB to wvw with the guild and yet they can’t because of a “full” server population, but as you stated and as i’ve been very frustrated with… The only relevance to which home server a player belongs to is WvW and yet with the megaserver not displaying home server’s there’s no way for us to target the DB players directly without spamming map chat 24/7. So it seems a bit odd (from a competitive WvW perspective) that we can’t transfer in the players that actually want to represent a server in the only way that you can anymore in contrast to the players that have no idea that they even belong to a server because they just pve with all the others.

So I agree with you Grim, and while I’m spending multiple hours a day building a community (with DB at its center) this is a huge and possibly insurmountable hurdle that is stopping us from a chance at improving our WvW standing.

Perhaps I’ll start doing some map spams that specifically target DB players and try to build a following based on that, but something tells me im going to have a very low return rate with that method. Even if the devs don’t respond, i hope you guys are reading this.

Are you aware that DB recently had an exodus, including Grimaldi…?

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Are you aware that DB recently had an exodus, including Grimaldi…?

More like hostile takeover of hod from what I heard…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB