Solutions to GvG arena and scene

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Just curious- if GvG is your thing, why not make a guild team for team pvp?

Because the “PvP” arenas are super restrictive with stats combinations and thus builds. Quite frankly, it’s kinda gross.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Just curious- if GvG is your thing, why not make a guild team for team pvp?

lol just proved you don’t know what gvg in gw2 is.

You are quite correct. My original small guild goes to the PvP lobby and plays team arena. In GW1, we GvG’d a LOT. We weren’t high ranked (or ranked at all for that matter), but we had fun. Our best memory is when we got matched up against a Spanish guild ranked #20 on the ladder and took them to overtime with the Guild Lords in the center of our Guild Hall. We lost, but barely, as their Lord was at about 5% health at the end of the match. They PM’d us and gave us a lot of compliments, which I thought was cool. A little while later, we even got some join requests from people that watched in observation mode. I saved my build as “Spanish Overtime”.

Anyway… Care to enlighten me on how it’s done? Number of people on each team, etc. It’d be greatly appreciated.

I’ll try to make this a detailed post. GvG is guild wars 2 is large-scale, its been centrally focused on fights, opposed to perhaps flag and guild lord gw1 stuff. We have a team and we can kill your team with the same numbers thats the idea. How do official GvG’s work? Usually in the OS or the windmill for people who are nostalgic towards the old GvG location. The normal sizes for teams are 15-20, 20 being more popular on EU while 15 is more popular on NA. Smaller scale GvG’s that are 10v10 and 5v5 certainly occur but work much differently in set up.

Setups have evolved over the course of GW2, in the beginning being mainly a melee train with a few ranged, very zergy. Now things are much more organized, especially in higher tier. There are distinct sections of the setup. Melee, ranged, assist. Party setups are also crucial for targeting, boons. I’ll give you a set up for 15’s that is good.
8 melee(4 guard, 4 war), 4 ranged(2 ele/2necro), and 3 assist (2mesmer/thief). The guards would be running a supportive type of build 0/0/30/20/20 shouts for boons, purging flames for condi removal, staff/hammerorgs. Staff for support especially with empower. Wars would be running either shoutheal builds for condi cleanse from their shouts and their warhorns with hammer for CC and damage, sword/horn for movement, immobilize, blasting, and condi cleanse. There is also another war build that has become popular in the last few months which is dps war, these guys have massive dps and usually run GS/axeshield(mace).

Focusing damaging is very important in a gvg, so for melee, that means staying tight together since you have to be to hit the same target. This is also to keep up boons and heals for the group.

The ranged classes necro/ele have their own roles. They both have enormous spike potential but on a high cooldown which means you need to synchronize them at the right time with other cooldowns and make sure they don’t go to waste as they can easily be juked by the enemy. Necros run well builds typically 0/20/0/20/30 while eles run something more with 30 in the last two lines. Eles are the single most important class in the GvG, because they have access to waterfields which help the group recover with massive aoe heals. They also have good damage/CC. Finding a good ele is very hard because it requires a lot of skill. Eles also use staff. Necros usually part up with one of the melee parties for boons/support while eles sit in their own.

in WvW

SkylightMoon.1980

The last is assist, this is the branch that has evolved the most in the last 6 months of GvGs, as grouped have aimed at a new strategy of taking out the other groups ranged classes so they lose damage/support. Without eles its pretty much gg. Assist all sit in the same party as well. They focus individual targets and often clash with the other assist team and now you have a whole different. The classes chose for assist are mesmers, d/d eles, dps warriors sometimes, and thieves.

The GvG starts off with opponents teams readying up on each side, waiting for the perfect moment to empower then veil to clash drop big damage on their enemy and get a good first engage. Getting a clean first engage is super crucial to a GvG. A lot of GvG’s can be determined by the first engage. The enemy team may try to juke you when you empower and veil, therefore wasting your boons by the time you get to them and your veil so you have no sneaky engage. The enemy will also usually try to CC you when you drop the veil so you either miss the veil or waste your stability/stunbreakers to get through it.

There are a lot of melee battles that go on, a lot of assist battles, melee helping assist, assist helping ranged, ranged working together to focus their own individual targets(perhaps the other groups ranged or helping out the assist win the 3v3/4v4). It takes an immense amount of coordination. GvG’s are often criticized because its really hard to tell whats going on to the untrained eye, it looks really messy. Don’t be fooled though, at top tier everyone knows there roll and have a type of bond to react instantly to whatever happens next. It really tests your reaction time and decision making.

in WvW

Posted by: Amelia Knox.9362

Amelia Knox.9362

Good ideas, maybe someone will pay attention.
Because I’m not fickle and think something will be acted upon because of this thread, I will make a suggestion …
Guilds that play for fights EU-wide organise certain dates of EoTM raiding (My suggestion is once or twice a week). Guilds you want to fight, you get on the same overflow as them. Although its a pain in the kitten , it’s 10x better than running around doing nothing for the boring match-ups.
In my eyes its the only potential solution to the problem of this game loosing guilds and players at the rate it is atm. About time the guilds that wish to continue on this game, take matters into their own hands.
I’m sure Sam and a few other guild leaders will help us organise this so it might be implemented pretty soon.

I’ll start speaking with the rest of Guild leader of all Fighting guild i can, trying to refine the details to make sure that’s it’s douable on consistent basis and there is good communication bewteen guild to organize fights, more news probably by saturday or next week

[Dawn] Gandara
Guild Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

Total topcheck. Hope the developers agree

in WvW

Posted by: little ceasar.9254

little ceasar.9254

Amazed they haven’t kicked this thread to the slums yet

Ashr [AGG]RESSION
CD→SoS→BG→ET→DB→JQ→SoS→
Mag→JQ→SoS→JQ→TC→FA→DB→FA→Mag→TC→KN

in WvW

Posted by: Lawrencii.1356

Lawrencii.1356

Maybe, something is coming? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyhA2D_s24Q jump to min 10:10. Maybe?

¬ I A Euphy ¬ SoS ¬

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Definitely good ideas in here.

in WvW

Posted by: schnitzel.9018

schnitzel.9018

Amazing Idea! Hope Anet take this serious.

in WvW

Posted by: Demus.4571

Demus.4571

This would really be what the GvG scene needs to bring it back to life. Lots of excellent ideas here, hopefully Anet will listen.

[ASAP] Zerg ~~~ Starkar

in WvW

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

This would really be what the GvG scene needs to bring it back to life. Lots of excellent ideas here, hopefully Anet will listen.

I’m wondering if Anet has even read this considering it’s got “GvG” in the title. A response on what they think would be great.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in WvW

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

SkylightMoon.1980, thank you for that detailed answer! And thank you Hamster for linking that video. This looks pretty cool, and now I understand why and how tPvP is such a different thing altogether. The data mined map in Wooden Potato’s vid looks encouraging as well. It reminds me of our old GW1 guild hall set up, but then some tPvP maps could look like that as well. As we approach the second anniversary of launch, it would be pretty cool if Anet embraced the name of their game and introduced a true GvG for all those who have been asking for it for so long.

in WvW

Posted by: TheLargeUnit.2793

TheLargeUnit.2793

Please Anet, make this happen. Great job putting this together OP. hopefully Anet will listen this time and make the necessary changes.

Achmed Afro Thunder ~ Six Ft Pole Achmed ~ Dharok The Ravenous
Long Live [ASAP] Zerg: The greatest guild that ever was or will be.

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

Good ideas, maybe someone will pay attention.
Because I’m not fickle and think something will be acted upon because of this thread, I will make a suggestion …
Guilds that play for fights EU-wide organise certain dates of EoTM raiding (My suggestion is once or twice a week). Guilds you want to fight, you get on the same overflow as them. Although its a pain in the kitten , it’s 10x better than running around doing nothing for the boring match-ups.
In my eyes its the only potential solution to the problem of this game loosing guilds and players at the rate it is atm. About time the guilds that wish to continue on this game, take matters into their own hands.
I’m sure Sam and a few other guild leaders will help us organise this so it might be implemented pretty soon.

hey bro, wake up o/

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/events/Guilds-of-the-Mist-event-EU-Guilds/page/2#post4135100

http://www.gw2wvw.net/topic/guild-mists-event-eu

just keep it going and yell to other guilds. Every wednsday make is stable for your and other guids that you know.

It happened 2 times third (this week) don’t think so, cause few supported.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I’m wondering if Anet has even read this considering it’s got “GvG” in the title. A response on what they think would be great.

Considering all the wvw feedback we’ve given them.. this is a small minority compared, wvw needs a much bigger tonic atm.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: Rhongomyniad.5081

Rhongomyniad.5081

Would be great to get some Dev engagement in this thread.

I think enabling Megaserver on the Obsidium Sanctum would be a great start and help re-invigorate the scene.

in WvW

Posted by: Anubis.9346

Anubis.9346

I hope they will hear you ! But they already said they’ll not support this game mode so…

Get Get [iNk] Insidious Blink

in WvW

Anubis.9346

SO we are waiting for a dev answer ! If not, consider that we are abandoned for ever….

Pesronally I think that it is the case but who knows ^^

in WvW

SkylightMoon.1980

The gvg tonight had 1200+ viewers. Along with perhaps 200 people in the OS, was queued for almost every server. Should tell you there is great interest in the community.

in WvW

Posted by: Tilo.8135

Tilo.8135

The Agg vs TA GvG had the same amount of viewers as a stream which was giving away eternity (among other legendaries and lots of gold)

If that doesn’t show huge community interest in GvG I don’t know what does.

in WvW

Posted by: KICKER.3874

KICKER.3874

it’s pretty simple if you ask me: sPvP tournament is boring to watch, GvG is not

you should always pick the game mode that is watchable if you want any kind of success

but they wasted 2 years already promoting a game mode that was obviously never going to be an eSport, might be too late for GvG to shine now

when I finally quit this game nothing short of FULL GvG game mode support is ever going to get me back

in WvW

Posted by: Rhongomyniad.5081

Rhongomyniad.5081

Devs?
/15chars

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Some AGG members posted their builds in the other forum and they were using fully ascended gear. The power creep and grind for gear in the PvE ruleset is stupid for a PvP mode. Creates a large barrier to entry.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Oega Boogabooga.6207

Oega Boogabooga.6207

Some AGG members posted their builds in the other forum and they were using fully ascended gear. The power creep and grind for gear in the PvE ruleset is stupid for a PvP mode. Creates a large barrier to entry.

And alot of guilds strive to the same lvl, i use full ascended gear with +5 power/agony infusions just to get the extra little bit of power.
BUT if you want to step in at a lower lvl with your guild you have the option to do so, its your choice who you gvg. you dont have to start with agg, ta, or any of the other top tier guilds.

also for the top tier guilds, gear could change in a week and force them to get new armor/trinkets/weapons.

random characters here

(edited by Oega Boogabooga.6207)

in WvW

Amelia Knox.9362

@Chaba Power creep it’s definitaly a problem but right now we don’t have the right tools to even play enough to bother with that.

Waiting for an anwser, to the idea, i know you guys read it and you will comment when you’re ready so no problem, we will be here

[Dawn] Gandara
Guild Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

BUT if you want to step in at a lower lvl with your guild you have the option to do so, its your choice who you gvg. you dont have to start with agg, ta, or any of the other top tier guilds.

Doesn’t matter which “gvg tier” the guild you’re fighting is in since even long-time pve players recently turned pvp will have ascended. There are new players entering the game still and if they have any interest in getting into GvG, they end up being way behind in terms of gear.

The power creep and pve grind for gear is antithesis to the idea of an equal fight between guilds, which GvG fights are supposed to represent. Remember the player-made restriction on stacking weapons? One could tell from the nameplate who had stacks – can’t be done with ascended gear.

Remember how the GvG scene cooled when the bloodlust mechanic was introduced and didn’t heat up again until after the OS arena sans bloodlust was made? I know most won’t agree with me, but GvG would benefit from gear normalization in any long-term GvG mode. GvGers would rather GvG, not grind PvE for gear. The short-term solution to that is to use the sPvP gear/stat ruleset. I’ll probably get a lot of hate for suggesting that because I know how important food/wrench and PvE gear stats are to the current GvG players. Fights would take longer. It takes a bit more skill to kill people without the power creep of the PvE gear that everyone is addicted to. In an ideal situation, a GvG mode would have it’s own gear/stat ruleset (because the sPvP one is meant for 5-man fights), akin to the PvE one but without the fancy PvE extras: gear that doesn’t require a grind to obtain.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: Martinec.6579

Martinec.6579

Thanks for making this thread OP, I agree with everything you suggested in your initial post. Concerning the power creep I know that ascended gear forced most of us to grind content we didn’t enjoy, but right now it certainly is possible to be competitive even in exotic gear. I did every rounds of our last gvgs with only ascended trinkets and weapons, I had exotic armor and barely any infusions.

In the current state of the game I’d rather have the build diversity we enjoy right now over the boring stats combination of spvp, even at the price of the gear grind ascended stuff is.

in WvW

Amelia Knox.9362

Yes, i’ll keep this thread up until the actually close it or remove me from the forum, or we get an anwser or stuff happens to improve the situation.

I repeat again, the Fix it’s techinicaly not hard, without much need for Dev Time, it will improve ten fold the current Gvg status!

[Dawn] Gandara
Guild Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

plus one

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Anubis.9346

We NEED an answer, just take 20 sec of your dev time to say yes or no. Simple as that.

in WvW

Posted by: Empyre.2531

Empyre.2531

We NEED an answer, just take 20 sec of your dev time to say yes or no. Simple as that.

[RG]

in WvW

Anubis.9346

hahaha poupoune you made my day xD

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

dear sam , obsidian map is a joke place for gvg (windmill was a joke place too ) ,because the gvg needs a score somewhere written and there is no any guild leaderboard to inform all the players who is the really good guild .

at least they can do the obsibian map overflow and with taxi you have all the times your enemies to fight , but again i will say it ….for how long you will be interested for a system where your actions are nowhere writen ? the “just for fun” is not helping guild advertisements and recruits .wvw guilds need politics, economy and …. domination …. to expand and stay alive !

i am waiting and many other players that already stopped GW2 the 400 vs 400 castle siege that will come in europe at the end of this year or the in the early of 2015 .and this siege will be real guild vs guild fight like the sieges i had 9 years ago in lionna ( L2 )

p.s. as for the “just for fun” … can someone explain me how fun is to play in large fights with these particle effects that you can see in the image below ?

Attachments:

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in WvW

Amelia Knox.9362

@Reborn Well one thing at the time, Obsidian map it’s enough to get good enough gvg right now sure a new system would be nice, more ability for guilds, to recruit and train people it’s all awesome but right now we’re looking for the bare minium function to play gvg with more than the guild in the same matchup, if we could play gvg with all the other server, the step forward it’s gigantic!

Anyways up, not going to leave it rest, Uping everyday until i stop playing!

[Dawn] Gandara
Guild Leader

in WvW

Anubis.9346

We need an improvement for sure.

Let’s continue tu up this tread lawl.

in WvW

Amelia Knox.9362

Up! Never gone Give up!

[Dawn] Gandara
Guild Leader

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

I throw my hands up in the AIR sometimes, saying ee-oh, gotta let go. Whats the score again? I lost track with all the lama drama afoot.

in WvW

Anubis.9346

Still need an answer ya know

in WvW

Posted by: Stilk.6312

Stilk.6312

GvG scene is a very well known scene. Players look at GvG vids and streams a lot more than other videos.
Do something about it Anet !

in WvW

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Too late

/15

in WvW

Anubis.9346

Yes but it’s still funny to support this thread knowing dev want it to go into trash

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The game does need a GvG game mode. I think if they ever do it they are waiting for the expansion pack.

in WvW

Posted by: Frax.4562

Frax.4562

Well I’m sure that we will see a new skyhammer before a gvg mode (or this idea) because clearly that’s what people really want.

On a serious note it is really not that hard to implement but as everyone said before it’s a lost cause because A-net is more focused on pve content (I know wvw team is separated from the pve one) and don’t really give a kitten about wvw and what people really want. I had hopes for a thing like this before but for some time it is sure that they just don’t care. Looking forward to Camelot Unchained and maybe after that they will realize that they should have supported this game mode that had a lot of potential with the combat mechanic this game has

(edited by Frax.4562)

in WvW

Posted by: Grotesque.6480

Grotesque.6480

Amazing how ArenaNet kittens up even more. Provide infractions to their most loyal players. Done with this aswell. Its been ages since we’ve heard anything from the Devs. Just a word out would be great, but as others said in this topic too, we have yet to see something being done with all the suggestions for WVW, let alone a GVG area.

The game is dead, the GVG community is wearing thin. Enjoy while it lasts folks..

Team Aggression [TA]

in WvW

Posted by: illegalefarben.8735

illegalefarben.8735

The GvG/WvW scene might be small in comparison to the PVE World. But the love that these players invest in their hobby and the feedback they get from other players shows a great potential.

Even if you see it from a commercial point of view, GvG is free advertisement for the game and it could be that certain something for GW2. A reasonable investment in my eyes.

(edited by illegalefarben.8735)

in WvW

Posted by: Gismor.8407

Gismor.8407

GvG is where the real competition is in terms of WvW. True, even fights, with kittens on the line. It’s sad that a game called “Guild Wars” has 0 support for this game mode. I never used to be big on GvGs, then once me and my Guild started trying them out, and getting better at them, they were what we looked forward to, not going around ppting till we can’t ppt no more. As people have said before, WvW is dying, and it sucks. It’s nothing like it used to be so long ago. No matter what ANet does, it’s way to late. RIP.

[EK] Guild leader → Retired
Friend Gismor – 80 Revenant
“Always outnumbered, never outgunned.”

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

GW1 had the solution… Guild Halls with a Guild Battle section.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Noodica.5428

Noodica.5428

Great ideas and I completely support this, however keep in mind that Anet is obviously trying to make as much money off of this game as they possibly can with the gem store considering it is a subscription free game. Gems are Anets way of making money, transfers = gems, and if the mega server is put up you will see a large decrease in guilds that are paying to transfer which’ll result in less money for Arena net. Just my opinion to be honest, but I’d be buzzing if they did this!

Midnight Mafia [MM]

in WvW

Posted by: DonEllz.6312

DonEllz.6312

We need to see some form of change to this! +1 sam for this post… Anet sort it out, give us an answer atleast. Driving a whole player base out of the game is seriously wrong.

Its Not Apho – Necromancer – Callous Philosophy [LaG] – Anguîsh [Ash]