State of WvW. Anet, its getting boring.

in WvW

Posted by: aldwid.7548

aldwid.7548

I disagree with the title’s thread, BUT I do not agree with the information placed there.

Good ideas for improvement. Many have been stated, but it is a good starting point. Hopefully we can be heard

I believe you meant you DO agree with the information placed there.

in WvW

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

I agree, WvW could be so much better and these ideas would be a good step in the right direction.

in WvW

Posted by: Kajiri.8215

Kajiri.8215

8. Add more WvW daily quests so we don’t have to leave wvw to finish them.
11. Make some incentive for winning the week in wvw. Like a gold chest for those who have logged over 20 hours in wvw for the week and their server got first place. Silver chest for 2nd etc..

Combine these two into a weekly WvW achievement. The dailies already have some WvW in them and typically take and additional 5 minutes in PvE if they can’t be completely finished in WvW.

12. Name plates are too long in wvw. Instead of Fort Aspenwood Squire, Can it just say FA Squire.

Make this a toggle. I hate going up against a zerg and being unable to see how many people are actually up due to the wall of names.

in WvW

Posted by: WIGZ.8245

WIGZ.8245

1. We have 2 borderlands, Eternal Battlegrounds and then one that is recycled 3 times. Can we get 3 unique borderlands? It would also be nice to see some underground dungeon borderland or labyrinth similar in concept to EB in the future. You keep releasing new dungeons and pve content… Can we get new WvW content?

2. Randomize each week which server will be which color instead of first always being green, second blue etc.

3. We need a way to auto loot during WvW. Being a warrior, I can’t even begin to give an estimate of all the bags I have lost and in all honesty it is a pain. Please allow us to auto loot by just walking over the loot bag in WvW. When I am in a zerg battle I am hitting my normal attack keys and spamming F at the same time.

4. You promised us a way to get ascended items in WvW back in November. Please make it so we can spend our badges on ascended items and please do not introduce ANOTHER currency. Also can we get an ascended back slot like the fractuals one. Not even the current laurel vendors offer an ascended back slot.

5. The WvW rank system is terrible and boring. Many other mmos have pulled this off correctly and successfully. The current system is bland and doesn’t allow for further character development in WvW. I can site those other mmos for you for examples if needed. Yes some have also done it poorly or made veteran players too powerful. We need a way to feel like we are progressing and not go “oh look I dinged again.. what gimmick ability can I put that point into”.

6. Some classes still need a lot of help in WvW. I won’t go into details as I believe Anet is already aware of this.

7. Thin out the pve mods in pvp. Nothing is more frustrating than attacking a thief right as they stealth and instead hitting a freakin gold moa and now I have a thief AND moa on me. Or having someone rally because they killed a pve mob.

8. Add more WvW daily quests so we don’t have to leave wvw to finish them.

9. Can we get more armor and weapon skins that are equivalent to what we see for the dungeon vendors and fractuals.

10. Arrow carts should not be able to damage siege. With yesterday’s patch, an arrow cart can take down a ram before the door is even close to 50% now. I think you went overboard on arrow carts but I will wait and see on this.

11. Make some incentive for winning the week in wvw. Like a gold chest for those who have logged over 20 hours in wvw for the week and their server got first place. Silver chest for 2nd etc..

12. Name plates are too long in wvw. Instead of Fort Aspenwood Squire, Can it just say FA Squire.

13. A more robust commander tab with more options

14. Guild commanders that only show up to other guildies on the map. Our guild sometimes wants to remain small in wvw and it helps to follow your guild commander but then you end up with a lot of pugs on your tail.

All of the above. Make auto-loot in WvW. It’s kitten the way it stands. Add raid/squad group windows. Guild Commander tags. Remove the arrow cart buff.

[BT] Wigz – Blackgate – 80 Engineer & Warrior
http://blacktalons.guildlaunch.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

For my guild I would say nothing in the game has impacted their desire to play and log on as much as the WXP system did.

It is not so much that it is bad, its impact on the game is marginal, rather the fact that it showed clearly that the amount of effort ANET is willing to put into WvW is marginal. The entire WXP system to me screams ‘easiest and fastest way to implement’ with little vision as to how the system could have been used to make WvW better. Squandered opportunity that shows a complete lack of vision, imo.

The reason WvW is boring is because the meta is boring. Large balls of people running around stacking when told, using abilities when told, and then charging when told. I personally think there are more tactics employed in the use of siege then there is in fighting each other, something that the latest patch increased. Why are we increasing the use of siege?

I think siege is for bashing down doors and walls, and destroying the siege that allows folks to bash down doors and walls. The only reason arrow carts need to be in the game is because the design of keeps/towers/aoe is so bad that it is impossible to defend using your own skills. I would honestly rather see them fix that problem, and remove AC’s all together.

The implementation of WvW in GW2 does not promote skill, advanced tactics or group synergy. What it does promote is zerging and an overuse of siege.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

they are nothing more then battles in a war its the war that you want to win.

Have you ever thought about this though? Do people really want to win that war? On my server it seemed not so. People valued WXP and personal kill count much more than winning. If anything, winning too much is bad because after reset you’ll get steamrolled in the next tier.

To make your quote true for everyone, Arenanet needs to implement some sort of prize or advantage for winning, rather than just a server rating.

That just a few ppl most of the player in WvW are playing to win the week. You should lesson to your worlds TS if it has one or read the forums and see just how much ppl on every world wants to win the week.

@Niim.9260
What do you not get about a LARGES SCALE BATTLE? Fights in WvW are made for 100s of players to be fighting over one keep one tower hell one camp that not zerg v zerg that is a WORLD fighting another WORLD.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Bad idea on the 20 hours – you would just have trolls and /afkers everywhere that log on for 20 hours for no reason just to get the reward. Better to include a WvW weekly objective list like capture “x” towers, kill “x” players, use “x” supply, etc. and then at the end of the week, give a chest reward based on where your server placed in the tier instead.

in WvW

Posted by: Beachead.4127

Beachead.4127

Bad idea on the 20 hours – you would just have trolls and /afkers everywhere that log on for 20 hours for no reason just to get the reward. Better to include a WvW weekly objective list like capture “x” towers, kill “x” players, use “x” supply, etc. and then at the end of the week, give a chest reward based on where your server placed in the tier instead.

It was more of an example. I just want to have some incentive in winning the week.

Ullrok – Warrior
Ullrom – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

It was more of an example. I just want to have some incentive in winning the week.

Incentives to win become incentives to transfer.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Beachead.4127

Well It looks like Anet has at least aknowledged some of these items.

2. For map position and server color, Anet said they are looking at switching things up.
3. Anet has admitted to the fact that looting in WvW is not ideal and that its on a list.
4. Another thread is going about obtaining Ascended items through WvW. Their answer was its coming ASAP.
10. I think most agree that arrowcarts are a bit out of line. Anet has admitted that some changes are coming quickly.

Here is to hoping that next Tuesday delivers some new WvW enhancements to get excited about… traps not being one of them.

Ullrok – Warrior
Ullrom – Mesmer

in WvW

Beachead.4127

So why WvW? In Daoc you had relics that gave bonuses to your entire faction. In Warhammer you could invade the opposing factions capital. In GW2 you can…. become a new color.

Bandwagoners are going to transfer if there are incentives or not. I don’t think this would increase the transferring. From a business perspective Anet might like additional transfers as it is money in their pockets.

Either way there needs to be a reason for winning. My server only cares about the open field fights and only plays the ppt so that we can stay in tier 2. We have no desire to goto T1 or to even win our tier. The reason? What good does it do me if I get first?

Ullrok – Warrior
Ullrom – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Avatar of Belle.9623

Either way there needs to be a reason for winning. My server only cares about the open field fights and only plays the ppt so that we can stay in tier 2. We have no desire to goto T1 or to even win our tier. The reason? What good does it do me if I get first?

I agree with you. WvW has become much more fun after I stopped caring about PPT and overall score. Open field is quite exciting as well as roaming in general.

Threnody of Belle – Necromancer and PvE Carebear (24,500 achievement points)
Maguuma
#allisvain

in WvW

styx.7294

So why WvW? In Daoc you had relics that gave bonuses to your entire faction. In Warhammer you could invade the opposing factions capital. In GW2 you can…. become a new color.

Bandwagoners are going to transfer if there are incentives or not. I don’t think this would increase the transferring. From a business perspective Anet might like additional transfers as it is money in their pockets.

I dunno but you already get less repair bills and more loot bags while you’re winning. Fightin on a server that’s losin the match up is harder than fightin on one that’s winning. And the two bottom servers aren’t likely to get wins soon, are we just gonna put in a feature that punishes people for workin hard to build and maintain WvW communities on those servers?

Gate of Madness

in WvW

I dunno but you already get less repair bills and more loot bags while you’re winning.

One word for you: Outmanned. We actively go to maps where my group is outmanned.

Maguuma
#allisvain

in WvW

Beachead.4127

I dunno but you already get less repair bills and more loot bags while you’re winning. Fightin on a server that’s losin the match up is harder than fightin on one that’s winning. And the two bottom servers aren’t likely to get wins soon, are we just gonna put in a feature that punishes people for workin hard to build and maintain WvW communities on those servers?

Understood and agreed. I don’t want the losing server to be punished but I think there is a way to pull this off where getting first for the week actually means something.

Ullrok – Warrior
Ullrom – Mesmer

in WvW

styx.7294

@ Avatar, yeah, I think the outmanned buff change was a good one.

@ Beachead, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt if done right. I guess we get the WvW score buffs but I never stop to think about those.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

Agree with everything said here, other change I would add is changing the way commanders obtain their “hat”. Don’t get me wrong, I seen many who hands down make excellent commanders, yet I seen too many who simply use their hat as a troll mechanic to sabotage their own server.

in WvW

Posted by: Elitejelly.7462

Elitejelly.7462

Great list! it would be awesome if Anet would look in to this, and do something about it.

IM SO HYPED FOR HOT I CAN FLIP A TABLE.
(/o_o)/ |_|
hype over.

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

I wish we could get a dev response to this post, all great points.

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Except point 11. We don’t need to incentivize bandwagoning any further.

Point 8 was half addressed last patch as there are 2 WvW dailies. And all dailies can be completed in WvW. And dailies provide laurels which can be used to get ascended gear (except backpack, needs to be added). We don’t need a separate wvw only daily the wvw dailies combined with the pve ones is fine as you only need to do 5. Adding one more wvw daily to bring it up to 3 would probably put it at the sweet spot. In addition to more wvw daily types (vet kills in wvw, camps captured in wvw – not towers or keeps, guard points captured in wvw)

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Silke.1695

Silke.1695

I was thinking about what many of you have said, about there being no tangible incentive to winning each week. Though it needs to be something that doesn’t cause any more imbalance in the battles, and entices more involvement from our servers’ populations to play in WvW.

How about if Anet implemented an increase in the RNG drop-rate for precursors for the winner of each tier each week. So for the following week after gaining top position in each tier, your servers chance of a precursor drop would increase by some small amount. Say 1% increase.

It would be something very tangible and already part of the current game mechanics while at the same time not over-favoring any single group of players. It would also incentivise playing in WvW across all servers, since the buffs that are currently in place don’t seem to matter much or motivate PvX players to join in. This is precisely one of the major frustrations with having the buffs gained from the server’s performance in WvW being so lackluster. For a player that’s not focused on WvW as their preferred game play, there doesn’t seem to be any real reason to get in there and learn this segment of the game.

If this were added with many of the great suggestions listed in this thread, it would effectively re-energize the fun and interest in GW2 overall. Especially a UI change to commander functions. It is crucial to have the ability to create squads, and have the relevant information at hand.

Me personally, I enjoy the game, but lately I find myself choosing other activities than logging in. With some of the recent ‘patch changes’ I feel unsure which build/gear changes I should make to adjust and know that in all likelihood more changes are coming. So rather than chasing my tail, I’m waiting to see how it’s all going to settle out. Then I’ll probably ‘get into’ playing again.

Toasted Coaster

in WvW

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

There’s no doubt about it. WvW is boring.

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I think this guy is very very right. Why should we play wvw? The same counts for spvp. They’re pretty much rubbish.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

in WvW

Jski.6180

I think this guy is very very right. Why should we play wvw?

For fun? Pride in your world and your guild you know all the reason to fight a mock war or sports. The same reason you play games.
I guess we could add in take over world like real war but then well we will see the weaker world get subjugated by the stronger worlds mahaha.

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Because its fun.

You know the reason people play videogames.

Unfortunately everything has to have some kind of reward to it because this reward mentality has been ingrained into us as a society from a young age. This includes ‘participation medals’.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

I think a guild commander tag would be worth 200 gold to me. I would love to have that option.

Personally, the way I’d like it to work is that “Guild Commander” was an upgrade from the Art of War VI, that you could buy with merits, and then set ranks that are allowed to use it. So anyone from that rank would be able to use the tag, without having to pay with gold, or having problems with using alts etc.

I prefer your idea but I threw out the 200 gold in hopes that $$$ would be an attractive idea to Anet. I’m pretty sure guild commander tags would be worth a bit to people who only want to lead their guild.

Maguuma
#allisvain

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

For fun? Pride in your world and your guild you know all the reason to fight a mock war or sports. The same reason you play games.
I guess we could add in take over world like real war but then well we will see the weaker world get subjugated by the stronger worlds mahaha.

What is the fun in 40+ people from the totally overwhelming server running down 5 people from the weaker server? There’s no fun in it, it only is highly unfair that people ‘win’ not by skill but by being cowards and running in blobs. I’m on the Gandara server and week after week we get matched up against blob servers like Riverside, Baruch bay and Aurora Glade, that manage to bring 3x our number into the field. It only makes you want to leave that part of the game as far away from you as you can, because even if you are engaged in honest 5v5 fights, somehow 15 more of the dogs get called by their mates and come taking us down.

The same thing happens in SPvP over and over. Players use unfair tactics such as zerging down split-up teams or bunkering all over the place. How is one supposed to win a match if the other teams just run the ‘WIN’ builds and nothing can possibly bring them down. I’m trying not to whine, but the PvP aspect of this game is highly unbalanced and it sucks kitten

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I like some of these ideas. But I don’t like others. Anet you should only make the changes that I want. Only then will I be happy.

in WvW

Jski.6180

What is the fun in 40+ people from the totally overwhelming server running down 5 people from the weaker server? There’s no fun in it, it only is highly unfair that people ‘win’ not by skill but by being cowards and running in blobs. I’m on the Gandara server and week after week we get matched up against blob servers like Riverside, Baruch bay and Aurora Glade, that manage to bring 3x our number into the field. It only makes you want to leave that part of the game as far away from you as you can, because even if you are engaged in honest 5v5 fights, somehow 15 more of the dogs get called by their mates and come taking us down.

The same thing happens in SPvP over and over. Players use unfair tactics such as zerging down split-up teams or bunkering all over the place. How is one supposed to win a match if the other teams just run the ‘WIN’ builds and nothing can possibly bring them down. I’m trying not to whine, but the PvP aspect of this game is highly unbalanced and it sucks kitten

Yes it is fun on both sides. WvW was not made to be fair as soon as you can work this out for your self the sec you start enjoying your self and getting into the meat of WvW.

The kid gloves are off in WvW there no AI the is nearly as smart as a rock your playing vs real ppl who want to win at all cost even if they must run away wait for some one to help them. This is a sandbox type of game and all sandbox games are going to be like that.

(edited by Jski.6180)

in WvW

Beachead.4127

Except point 11. We don’t need to incentivize bandwagoning any further.

Point 8 was half addressed last patch as there are 2 WvW dailies. And all dailies can be completed in WvW. And dailies provide laurels which can be used to get ascended gear (except backpack, needs to be added). We don’t need a separate wvw only daily the wvw dailies combined with the pve ones is fine as you only need to do 5. Adding one more wvw daily to bring it up to 3 would probably put it at the sweet spot. In addition to more wvw daily types (vet kills in wvw, camps captured in wvw – not towers or keeps, guard points captured in wvw)

Maybe once a week do we have a day where all the dailies can be done in WvW. That is not always the case.

Laurels do no equal badges. Anet has already come out and said that they are working on the system in which we can buy Ascended items with badges.

Ullrok – Warrior
Ullrom – Mesmer