T1 server lag = unplayable

in WvW

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

Ability lag even with nobody except one enemy player on screen. Entire zergs of people not rendering as well. No problem on my end, it is all server side. This is occurring while I have 60-120fps (depending).

Once I went from 20k health to dead without a single ability firing and only a single player attacking me.

What did you do guys?

in WvW

Posted by: Xinthai.6175

Xinthai.6175

I never thought I would agree with covenn ever, but, I have to agree. The lag has been near unplayable levels tonight.

Captain Giggles – 80 Necromancer
Aurelia Celeste – 80 Mesmer

in WvW

covenn.7165

It is freaking horrible. Worst I have ever seen it.

in WvW

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

Transfer.

15chars

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in WvW

Posted by: Vynt.5218

Vynt.5218

Entire zergs of people not rendering as well. No problem on my end, it is all server side. This is occurring while I have 60-120fps (depending)?

Might be veil, bro

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

A guy asked in another thread “what would happen when JQ and BG met up”… Well, there it is…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

It’s true sadly… the lag in T1 WvW is horrendous. There’s even a mass cycling of disconnects (which of course puts us back in Queuetopia).

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

covenn.7165

Entire zergs of people not rendering as well. No problem on my end, it is all server side. This is occurring while I have 60-120fps (depending)?

Might be veil, bro

No bro, not veil. I know the difference.

If you play the game you should know that ability lag/not firing period means players will often not show up either. If the server is hamstering and cant handle tracking abilities, then it is a safe bet the model information isnt being sent to the client as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Grudak.2814

Grudak.2814

Giving up for the night. Third disconnect within 5 minutes of joining the borderland is enough for me

in WvW

Posted by: Kiltor.9362

Kiltor.9362

sitting manning siege. no way to play. too bad i was likeing the fights around jq garrison

Kiltor – [Retribution] –

in WvW

Posted by: thievery.2701

thievery.2701

Same situation here. Never happened prior to this week. I immediately disconnect when I get remotely close to a battle.

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

Bloody pathetic Anet. SO many other developers can do this better than you with less hype.

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love

in WvW

Posted by: Cameron.2315

Cameron.2315

its not just tier 1 happening in tier 2 match also..i think it could be to do with the orange crosses cause once they pop up on the map no matter where u are kitten goes funny.and i thought jq had no queues lol

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I haven’t noticed much of a change in lag. But I have noticed a huge change in culling. Every single fight for me has been oh look there is a guy there lets fight him. Wait theres another… 5 mintues later you realise there were over 50 players there and would not have fought that if you had of known.

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

I lost client 4 times in the last 1 hour.
Once the fight with the bg zerg started, it was 2 secs lag too sometimes 5.

Yesterday, just 8 hours ago, it was perfect.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Bloody pathetic Anet. SO many other developers can do this better than you with less hype.

My sentiments exactly.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

No problems here on T2.

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

yeah im in tier 2 and our lag today was crazy.i couldn’t even use my skills or anything..boom dead…

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

No problems here on T2.

u havent faced RISE guild then

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Fixeon.5076

Fixeon.5076

Two guys sitting in garrison. One turns to the other and says, “Did you feel that?”. The second cracks a grin as he mutters, “A disturbance in the force. The enemies are near!”. The first player looks at the second player as though in awe before slapping him upside the head and saying, "This isn’t Starwars nub, it’s lag the enemy zerg is at the water gate. "

Fixeon – Guardian
Umberage of Death – Thief
~~~Sanctum of Rall~~~

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I have the solution. Cap the players per map to 1 per server. This way culling will only make a small difference.

in WvW

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

No problems here on T2.

We did. 3 times.

No lag for me.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Loken.9724

Loken.9724

The Lag in T2 was pretty bad. Worst I have ever seen it yet.

Alaric the Sic level 3 guard
Founder of [SIC] and Commander.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV6azSCyyjhrcNy2WAGKm7w?feature=mhee

in WvW

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

The levels of lag and culling issues this match-up reset is something I’ve never experienced before, and ive been on every reset night since beta weekends.

At one point an hour into reset on Jade Quarry Borderlands, SoR (TW) and JQ (PRX) guilds of about 50 each passed each other on a path up to a camp and didn’t render for each other at all, by panning behind camera we saw each other after passing.

Add in consistent lag issues of 5+ delays at all teamfights (usually reserved for meta events and SMC fights) and your getting to the point were Tier 1 WvW primetimes are becoming unplayable.

This is all post “culling fix” too…

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

in WvW

Posted by: Skyllar.3562

Skyllar.3562

Ability lag even with nobody except one enemy player on screen. Entire zergs of people not rendering as well. No problem on my end, it is all server side. This is occurring while I have 60-120fps (depending).

Once I went from 20k health to dead without a single ability firing and only a single player attacking me.

What did you do guys?

having these issues in eu t1 for weeks now.
welcome to t1

in WvW

Posted by: Krosan.2890

Krosan.2890

Its quite amusing to see the server have hordes of mass recruited people and bandwagoners then end up complaining about the lag.

in WvW

Posted by: Tawesi.4280

Tawesi.4280

1 hour dc 13 time and lag XXX timesssssssssssssss

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

Its quite amusing to see the server have hordes of mass recruited people and bandwagoners then end up complaining about the lag.

Hoards or not, this amount and severeness of server-side lag is absolutely unacceptable. Like I’ve said before, there are games that can process aircrafts, land troops and hundreds of players fighting in one area with close to zero server-side lag, why can’t GW2, advertised as a ‘next-gen MMO’?

Shoo, troll.

[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love

in WvW

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Hoards or not, this amount and severeness of server-side lag is absolutely unacceptable. Like I’ve said before, there are games that can process aircrafts, land troops and hundreds of players fighting in one area with close to zero server-side lag, why can’t GW2, advertised as a ‘next-gen MMO’?

Shoo, troll.

Realistically? It’s very simple. What folk don’t realize when they/we blame (specifically) ArenaNet: they’re the U.S.A. arm of a Korean MMO corp (i.e. NCSoft).
As such, if NCS says, "Hey, we’re only giving you lot “X” amount of money to dev, produce, and run this MMO of yours.", then ANet’s stuck with it. Sucks, but that’s
business reality.
If I were to guess, the whole reason servers/bandwidth/game engine were arguably
skimped on is because of this reality. Most corps assume a lower sales number
than they end up getting. Then, they cheap out on hardware/manpower. This gives us things such as: culling, laggy game engines, and so forth.
Now, there has been work done on these issues. The problem is that – let’s bloody
well face it – we gamers are a seriously impatient lot. As such, there’s a fair arguement that we could do with a tad bit more … restraint. Past that, I’d like to
see what this month’s “culling fix” amounts to. Mayhap it + a bit more leeway from
ANet’s parent company might solve your issues (or at least knock them down a peg).

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

The morning comes, the disconnects continue. Hopefully someone at the office is looking into this?

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: Visiroth.5914

Visiroth.5914

If I were to guess, the whole reason servers/bandwidth/game engine were arguably
skimped on is because of this reality. Most corps assume a lower sales number
than they end up getting.

Most companies overestimate how well their MMOs will do. Star Wars Galaxies, Hellgate London, Age of Conan, Aion, Warhammer, APB, FF14, SWTOR, Secret World all games that were expected to have better sales and/or sustained players. I’m sure more can be added to this list. Maybe the only recent MMO from the last few years to have realistic expectations was Rift.

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

The morning comes, the disconnects continue. Hopefully someone at the office is looking into this?

I seriously hope not.

I don’t want Arena Net to waste their money on kittens who decided to hoard on one server and then complain about lag.

If you guys didn’t bandwagon, or encourage others to do so, server population would be more evenly spread out and you wouldn’t have lag.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in WvW

covenn.7165

No problems here on T2.

We did. 3 times.

No lag for me.

Willing to bet if you didn’t notice it last night, the ANET server/network hardware you were on wasn’t being taxed or you were playing at a time when it wasn’t. I suspect, like most games, they have have things distributed across physical/virtual hardware resources as well as multiple network resources.

It is quite obvious when the issues are all server side compared to client side….

in WvW

covenn.7165

I seriously hope not.

I don’t want Arena Net to waste their money on kittens who decided to hoard on one server and then complain about lag.

If you guys didn’t bandwagon, or encourage others to do so, server population would be more evenly spread out and you wouldn’t have lag.

Do you really think there is ‘one’ server? Research a little bit into how service providers, be it gaming or whatever, handle heavy load with hundreds of thousands of concurrent users. One server? lol

in WvW

covenn.7165

having these issues in eu t1 for weeks now.
welcome to t1

Been in T1 for weeks myself. Your post is completely pointless. Last night is beyond the ‘normal’ lag that occurs in some situations.

Please make real posts instead of nonsense. Thanks

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

I seriously hope not.

Do you really think there is ‘one’ server? Research a little bit into how service providers, be it gaming or whatever, handle heavy load with hundreds of thousands of concurrent users. One server? lol

One server? Yes you do play on one server (well, two), JQ and BG.

It is T1 that’s complaining about lag, not the other tiers. In fact, here on DR I have never had ability lag, and have only heard of players who had it maybe 1-2 times.

If you didn’t bandwagon to the servers with already high server load, you wouldn’t see lag, and I don’t want Arena Net to implement fixes for your lag because it would waste money to remedy a situation you put yourself in.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in WvW

covenn.7165

I seriously hope not.

It is T1 that’s complaining about lag, not the other tiers. In fact, here on DR I have never had ability lag, and have only heard of players who had it maybe 1-2 times.

If you didn’t bandwagon to the servers with already high server load, you wouldn’t see lag, and I don’t want Arena Net to implement fixes for your lag because it would waste money to remedy a situation you put yourself in.

1. I don’t play on JQ or BG.

2. You are talking about one ‘game’ server i.e. BG, SoR, whatever and incorrectly applying it to hardware/network resources. There are multiple physical servers handling the game. If you think otherwise, you need to gain a little better understanding of things and rejoin the conversation at another time.

3. I didn’t bandwagon to jack. You are making an incorrect statement. I joined my server when it was #17. Yes, that is SEVENTEENTH.

4. Other tiers complained about it as well.

You are wrong on every level of your post. So wrong in fact that I have to assume you are simply trying to bait people and incite reaction. Please be real.

in WvW

Posted by: Esprit Dumort.3109

Esprit Dumort.3109

T3 here, we had the usual lag during a 3 versus battle in SMC, but the effects were felt for quite some time after things died down.

Lag’s been here since game inception, yet nothing has been done about it.

Jessamine [SNOW]
Gandara

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

I seriously hope not.

1. I don’t play on JQ or BG.

2. You are talking about one ‘game’ server i.e. BG, SoR, whatever and incorrectly applying it to hardware/network resources. There are multiple physical servers handling the game. If you think otherwise, you need to gain a little better understanding of things and rejoin the conversation at another time.

3. I didn’t bandwagon to jack. You are making an incorrect statement. I joined my server when it was #17. Yes, that is SEVENTEENTH.

4. Other tiers complained about it as well.

You are wrong on every level of your post. So wrong in fact that I have to assume you are simply trying to bait people and incite reaction. Please be real.

1. You play on SoR, which leads me to;

2. WvW maps are of course handled on the same server.

3. Coolio. But if the lag bothers you so much, why not transfer off?

4. T2? Lol.

After seeing your post history, it would appear you are the type of person who try to bait people and incite reaction. I could of course post some quotes but I think you know what I am talking about.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in WvW

covenn.7165

Ok, you really don’t know what you are talking about if you think a single server, whether physical or logical, can handle all the WvW maps. No point in expending energy to discuss this with you.

in WvW

Posted by: Drae.3189

Drae.3189

I have been dreading this day. I am a lover of open world PvP having played many such games over the last many years. They ALL FAIL for the same reason. Server lag, ability lag, “culling” etc… The games all became unplayable for even those with 5K$ desktop PC’s. This is the swan song for every games PvP. It either becomes too exclusive because the que times are too long for what becomes an instanced game or unplayable because no matter how skilled you are you cant play if the game doesn’t work as intended.

Sad day when the most skilled players, most populated pvp servers can’t compete with the games deficiencies. Sad day indeed.

NEXT!

[GoF] Booty Kawl – Blackgate

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

Ok, you really don’t know what you are talking about if you think a single server, whether physical or logical, can handle all the WvW maps. No point in expending energy to discuss this with you.

All the WvW maps? That’s not at all what I said. I’m sure you know what I meant, but keep drawing kitten conclusions from my posts if you feel it will help your argument.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I seriously hope not.

I’m on DR and have experienced horrible ability lag quite a few times … typically when two large forces were fighting in the lord’s room of SM. I’d jump into the fray and start spamming my #6 key almost immediately, then three or four seconds later I’d be dead without ever having the heal fire off. Everybody else complained in chat of the very same thing. It happened every time there were really large groups in the battle. It has NOTHING to do with the total server population or even the total player population on a WvW map …. it has everything to do with how many players are in close proximity and it can happen on any server in any tier.

And no, I’m not running a toaster on dialup. I have a broadband ISP and my computer is a liquid cooled 3770K/GTX680 with 16gig of 1866MHz RAM and temps that rarely exceed 40 deg C.

ANet supposedly has sold 3 million copies of GW2 worldwide. There are 16 tiers, 4 WvW maps per tier, and ANet has had to cap the player populations at maybe 250 total players per map to make the game playable. That works out to be about half a percent of the accounts that can play WvW at any one time even if the players were uniformly distributed across all servers. The fact that WvW populations are not at all uniform certainly makes it worse, but the root cause for all of this (lag, culling, queues) is that ANet dramatically short sheeted this game from the start.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

I seriously hope not.

I’m on DR and have experienced horrible ability lag quite a few times … typically when two large forces were fighting in the lord’s room of SM. I’d jump into the fray and start spamming my #6 key almost immediately, then three or four seconds later I’d be dead without ever having the heal fire off. Everybody else complained in chat of the very same thing. It happened every time there were really large groups in the battle. It has NOTHING to do with the total server population or even the total player population on a WvW map …. it has everything to do with how many players are in close proximity and it can happen on any server in any tier.

And no, I’m not running a toaster on dialup. I have a broadband ISP and my computer is a liquid cooled 3770K/GTX680 with 16gig of 1866MHz RAM and temps that rarely exceed 40 deg C.

ANet supposedly has sold 3 million copies of GW2 worldwide. There are 16 tiers, 4 WvW maps per tier, and ANet has had to cap the player populations at maybe 250 total players per map to make the game playable. That works out to be about half a percent of the accounts that can play WvW at any one time even if the players were uniformly distributed across all servers. The fact that WvW populations are not at all uniform certainly makes it worse, but the root cause for all of this (lag, culling, queues) is that ANet dramatically short sheeted this game from the start.

And I have never experience lag in SM, ever. When you say that “everyone else” I assume you mean like 5 people, which to be honest is not representative at all when two large forces meet.

Your talk about 3 million accounts is of course laughable, really. Do you really think that

A: All of those accounts have a unique account holder?
B: Everyone who ever bought GW2 still plays the game?
C: Everyone who ever bought GW2 plays WvW, and nothing else?
D: Everyone who ever bought GW2 plays in the same prime time?
E: That prime time is 24 hours long?

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I seriously hope not.

And I have never experience lag in SM, ever. When you say that “everyone else” I assume you mean like 5 people, which to be honest is not representative at all when two large forces meet.

Your talk about 3 million accounts is of course laughable, really. Do you really think that

A: All of those accounts have a unique account holder?
B: Everyone who ever bought GW2 still plays the game?
C: Everyone who ever bought GW2 plays WvW, and nothing else?
D: Everyone who ever bought GW2 plays in the same prime time?
E: That prime time is 24 hours long?

I thought I was petty clear … “everyone” meant everyone who was in chat (actually, both map chat and TS3), and that was way more than five people. It has happened at least four times in battles I’ve been in over the past couple of weeks, and chat lit up about it every time. It also regularly happened any time we hit [WM]‘s main zerg back when we were fighting Kaineng. You said you were on DR, hadn’t ever experienced that kind of lag, and therefore assumed that server pops were the root cause for the problem. I’m telling you that I’m on DR, have experienced it several times, and that server pops have nothing to do with it … it’s strictly a function of the number of players in close proximity. ANet’s game engine and server bandwidth bog down when trying to transmit and receive all that data. Believe it or don’t, your call.

0.5% of purchased accounts being able to play WvW is 0.5% no matter how you cut it. Would you have bought a game engine and server hardware that was only capable of handling that low a percentage of the copies you sold? And on top of that, would you design the game so that you had no control at all over server balance to mitigate the bottleneck you created? Maybe you would, but I wouldn’t … it’s a terrific way to strangle the game.

In contrast, the upcoming TESO plans to handle 2,000 players on the map at the same time and 200 players in close proximity without a performance hit.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Brome.7036

Brome.7036

I have played in Tier One since HoD and even when we rolled 11 hour queues and faced 1500 ruin member sitting in queue the lag has NEVER EVER been as bad as last night.

I was DCed 4 times and thankfuly we didn’t have a queue in JQ Bl but man it was unplayable.

75% of our guild decided to log off just because it was not playable.

No one thinks it’s fun like this.

in WvW

Gab Superstar.4059

I thought I was petty clear … “everyone” meant everyone who was in chat (actually, both map chat and TS3), and that was way more than five people. It has happened at least four times in battles I’ve been in over the past couple of weeks, and chat lit up about it every time. It also regularly happened any time we hit [WM]‘s main zerg back when we were fighting Kaineng. You said you were on DR, hadn’t ever experienced that kind of lag, and therefore assumed that server pops were the root cause for the problem. I’m telling you that I’m on DR, have experienced it several times, and that server pops have nothing to do with it … it’s strictly a function of the number of players in close proximity. ANet’s game engine and server bandwidth bog down when trying to transmit and receive all that data. Believe it or don’t, your call.

0.5% of purchased accounts being able to play WvW is 0.5% no matter how you cut it. Would you have bought a game engine and server hardware that was only capable of handling that low a percentage of the copies you sold? And on top of that, would you design the game so that you had no control at all over server balance to mitigate the bottleneck you created? Maybe you would, but I wouldn’t … it’s a terrific way to strangle the game.

In contrast, the upcoming TESO plans to handle 2,000 players on the map at the same time and 200 players in close proximity without a performance hit.

Are you telling me that what? 50 people simultaneously said “I am lagging” in chat? That you monitored the other server’s chat for the same thing? Here’s a tip for you: Check for when Jormag is up on JQ / DB, go to Earthshake waypoint, and try some abilities out. I guarantee you that you will see ability lag before you ever see Jormag. Yes, server lag gets worse when you are in close proximity to a high amount of players. But the chance of seeing that huge amount of players is ten times higher in a T1 server, as is the amount of people throughout the zone who are also dragging the server down. See, there will never be a map in T5 where all servers have a queue, save for maybe during ~2h on reset night, and that is EB. In T1 on the other hand, I am sure all maps have a queue for all servers during multiple nights of the week.

Your argument about 0,5% is still completely kitten. Would you refuse to go to an aquarium who had 2000 visitors a day, simply because only 10 people per day could dive with the sharks? I know I wouldn’t, I am certainly not interested in diving with any sharks.

The fact that you trust game companies in 2013, even after having played GW2, is also kind of strange. What TESO says and what TESO delivers will be entirely different things, rest assured.

Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in WvW

Posted by: Silvow.3748

Silvow.3748

Yeah atm its not that fun to play, its taken longer then 15 sec to cast a skill, or heal..
I hope this get fixxed in the march patch, or maybe make a stronger engine ?

in WvW

Posted by: buki.3108

buki.3108

It always lags on reset night. Pretty sure all tiers feel this as well, but what’s odd is that you can have the same amount of people during the weekday and encounter no lag. Why is it on reset night in particular?

Also, my lag ended around 11 pm PST. Any other servers have a time when they stopped encountering ability lag? Does the mass influx of people onto these maps have something to do with it? (Surely not, just trying to guess some things)

This is the first time I’ve actually been disconnected from lag. I was standing at spawn too

in WvW

Posted by: Shivva.1904

Shivva.1904

We’ve been in T1 for a few weeks now and I’ve never experienced such bad skil lag.

Also, and perhaps this is a side effect of whatever the performance issue is, we’re getting invisible zergs again too. (Definitely not just veils)

Frank/Rokka – formerly [IRON] – Desolation EU