The Role of Thief in WvW

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

Omg you guys crying about thieves don’t even know how much pain you are about to be in with the “runes of torment”. Warriors impale = an i win button its going to be nuts.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Iconoklast.2389

Iconoklast.2389

Yeah thieves are annoying but honestly they are still beatable. I’ve taken them down numerous times on both my guardian and my mesmer. Also most solo roaming thieves are running solo so by finding a decent guild for wvw helps a lot because a group of thieves deters about 95% of thieves.

Great post btw OP. Thieves definitely have their role and cutting off reinforcements to a zerg helps a lot more than people think!

Iconoklast – Guardian / Icono Clone – Mesmer
Tiny Icono – Engineer / The Icono – Elementalist
SoS – Empyrean Knights [EK] YB – The Coasters [TC]

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Another role for thieves is obviously permacontesting waypoint-upgraded keeps. This has been used against us this week in EB – much to our frustration.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: airick.9850

airick.9850

OP, this is was initially a fantastic post until it went to the crapper very quickly. I was excited to see what people would respond… but they kind of didn’t at all >_>. I primarily play Guardian in the zerg (commando style charging into zergs w00t w00t blasting hammer for le might or swiftness).

I actually respect theives a lot who don’t go with the zerg. They do the work everyone else neglects. Scouts are incredibly important to the zerg. Lets ally zerg know where to go. Killing enemy scouts is incredibly important. Keeps enemy zergs in the dark to your troop movements. Keeping Keep Waypoints contested makes it easier to siege other towers/ keeps without quick reinforcements (or just general harassment). Cutting people off from the zerg or preventing people from picking up supply from camps is amazing in slowing down zergs attempts at towers or keeps.

I know it sucks to be the victim but people behind the scenes being sneaky and cutthroat are also very necessary in war. It may not be as glorious as say a Knight in Shining armor rallying the troops to victor but it’s definitely beneficial to the troops. Thieves need less hate and more praise for doing the “dirty work”.

(edited by airick.9850)

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: mrmadhaze.8706

mrmadhaze.8706

OP, this is was initially a fantastic post until it went to the crapper very quickly. I was excited to see what people would respond… but they kind of didn’t at all >_>. I primarily play Guardian in the zerg (commando style charging into zergs w00t w00t blasting hammer for le might or swiftness).

I actually respect theives a lot who don’t go with the zerg. They do the work everyone else neglects. Scouts are incredibly important to the zerg. Lets ally zerg know where to go. Killing enemy scouts is incredibly important. Keeps enemy zergs in the dark to your troop movements. Keeping Keep Waypoints contested makes it easier to siege other towers/ keeps without quick reinforcements (or just general harassment). Cutting people off from the zerg or preventing people from picking up supply from camps is amazing in slowing down zergs attempts at towers or keeps.

I know it sucks to be the victim but people behind the scenes being sneaky and cutthroat are also very necessary in war. It may not be as glorious as say a Knight in Shining armor rallying the troops to victor but it’s definitely beneficial to the troops. Thieves need less hate and more praise for doing the “dirty work”.

Pity becouse most of people think thieves are kittened, but this class is not so bad how people think. And it’s not so easy aswell. But the hate from rosik man, you know, it’s a die hard thingy.
Agree with your post.

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Plainview.7029

Plainview.7029

I’m glad a few folks understood my intent. I may have understated a thief’s ability to roll in a zerg or even overlooked some other valuable roles. I am happy to see other’s opinions on the matter as they allow me to correct my original beliefs.

Of course thief is a pain in the kitten . I can sympathise (to an extent) the woes of players who get a knife in the back. I wanted to advocate for the practical applications of the pain in the kitten back stabber.

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Caid.4932

Caid.4932

I’m glad a few folks understood my intent. I may have understated a thief’s ability to roll in a zerg or even overlooked some other valuable roles. I am happy to see other’s opinions on the matter as they allow me to correct my original beliefs.

Of course thief is a pain in the kitten . I can sympathise (to an extent) the woes of players who get a knife in the back. I wanted to advocate for the practical applications of the pain in the kitten back stabber.

I like that they have a class that seems to be balanced heavily with solo roaming in mind. I still find too many of their specs quite chessy and frustrating to fight though. Its not a balance issue or a l2p issue (I struggle against engi’s because i have no clue how to fight them, have a better record against thieves than most specs tbh).

I dont even care that they can run away, playing a guardian who isn’t specced for 1v1’s you just get used to it – think necro’s are the only things that have a vaguely hard time running away from me.
I honestly cant think of a single occasion i’ve had a fun or interesting fight against a d/d or a d/p thief though (and i’ve fought hundreds more than any other build in this game).
S/d thieves are quickly becoming the bane of my existence (too much evade spam).
Pistol / dagger is actually a lot of fun to fight, its a pity they seem to have dissapeared recently.
Also while i recognise theres a big difference between a good and bad thief its just way too easy to be competent with them, too many specs are idiot proof.

Honestly i think they’re badly designed, i’ve played one and i know theres a few parts of the class that annoy me and seem pretty broken too. Quite a few thieves in the guild who have a long list of complaints about them too.

[Dius]

(edited by Caid.4932)

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

I use mostly p/d second set is d/p but it is only used when im out of stealth and in a bad spot. Using celestial gear and running runes of torment I could go zerk insta gib d/p or d/d but I like to play with my prey.

On a side note I think the runes of torment 45% torment dur is bugged. The tool tip doesn’t update for one and the increase seems lower than it should be with givers weps.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

(edited by Thesilentflute.8761)

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

“The Role of Thief in WvW”
to be a troll, nothing more, nothing less
hahaha

The Role of Thief in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Craig.2403

Craig.2403

I agree with the op. I can’t count the number of times I have saved a tower or keep. That knowledge of “garri is just a doorknocker, head to hills instead” is priceless to a commander, and I know this from both sides of the table (both as a commander, and as a scout). Then, you have to consider: where you just heading to reinforce the zerg when the thief killed you? If so, and for whatever reason (even just for stinking old map completion), the thief was just helping his server. After all, the enemy has no idea what your intentions are, only that you are heading to the zerg, and that holding you back could turn the tide down the road. So next time you’re ganked by a thief, think about that please. (and yes, some thieves are just trolls, but they would still be trolls if there were no thief class)

Bummkin – ranger | Netherdark – thief | Crescor – mesmer | Gears Up – engi
[TFI]