The WvW-Part of Gift of the Mists

in WvW

Posted by: hornswroggle.8023

hornswroggle.8023

Hi everyone,

I am preparing items in advance for the upcoming Legendary HoT Hammer and am about half way done now. One of these Items is the Gift of the Mists.
The Gift of the Mists is an Item meant to resemble playtime across all gamemodes of GuildWars 2. It contains Items from PvE, PvP and WvW.

However the WvW-Part of that is completely out of balance, especially compared to PvP.
Now don’t get me wrong: I like WvW. My original guild did solely WvW until it fell asleep, and is now rekindling as a mid-sized Roaming group. I enjoy every second of it.

My biggest issue is the Acquisition of the Memories of Battle vs. Shards of Glory, and the reason why one is 10 times more expensive than the other, despite the fact that they serve exactly the same purpose.

Here are the sources for Shards of Glory:

• PvP-Dailies (8/day)
  • PvP-Reward Tracks (15/track)
  • PvP-League rewards (avg. 15-20/20 Pips)
  • PvP-League Tickets (10/Ticket with 10-25 Tickets/Reward Tier depending on completed Tier)

Here are the sources for Memories of Battle:

• WvW-Reward Tracks (25/track)

… and that’s it. WvW-RankUp chests used to contain 5-8 Memories, but that got silently removed in the April 2016 Quarterly Update.
Also there is only one Reward track that gives 25 Memories, which is the Gift of Battle Reward track, all others only give 15. In theory that sounds good, because you need the Gift of Battle for Gift of the Mists anyway, but the raito is still 10:1.
In order to farm all Memories I need myself I would need to complete this track 10 times, not only leaving me with an excess 9 Gifts of Battle, but also having to commit the equivalent of 80 hours of playtime (8 hrs/track completion) to WvW.

Compared to that: If I play 8 hours of PvP straight (2 Matches/h, 60:40 W/L) during the PvP-League Season I gain about 115 reward Pips, which equates to the first one and a half reward Chests yielding at least 140 Shards of Glory (10 Tickets and 40 Shards). Even an admittedly mediocre PvPer like me, I can easily get the required Shards in 15-20 hours.

There are so many ways to fix this, in making Memories not as scarce:

• Add Memories as possible loot from Players (not NPCs!)
  • Add back the drop to WvW-RankUp chests
  • Add Memories to the WvW Daily Rewards
  • Add a slow genrator for Memories into Objectives in WvW that incentivises holding the Object
  • Surprise me ArenaNet

Now the fact you can buy Shards and Memories on the Trading Post makes this situation bearable, but the prices are way off-chart, with Memories costing 10 times as much as Shards. I really hope this can be fixed in a good way for everyone.

Cheers

(edited by hornswroggle.8023)

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

They cost 5s on the trading post because anyone that does WvW regards them as utter junk. I’m sure you can pony up 13 gold for a stack to get your legendary.

in WvW

Posted by: GundamSentinel.6470

GundamSentinel.6470

They cost 5s on the trading post because anyone that does WvW regards them as utter junk. I’m sure you can pony up 13 gold for a stack to get your legendary.

I was about to say. This is an issue now? Really? People making a legendary that usually costs in excess of 2000g and they have a problem buying one comparatively cheap material on the TP? Wow.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

However the WvW-Part of that is completely out of balance….

I absolutely agree. You don’t have to spend anywhere near as many hours in WvW as we do in PvE to get a legendary.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I was about to say. This is an issue now? Really? People making a legendary that usually costs in excess of 2000g and they have a problem buying one comparatively cheap material on the TP? Wow.

Yep, just shows how obscenely entitled these players are. You don’t see us WvWers making constant whine threads in the dungeon section complaining about having to do all sorts of PvE stuff to get a legendary, now do you?

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I don’t even think I’ve unlocked the Legendary Crafting mastery track in PvE to even start making one.

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I was honestly expecting another thread about the GoB change.

@OP it costs 12 gold to buy the 225 memories of battle you will need to buy (since you get 25 from the 1 required reward track). Could they be added to WvW dailies? Sure. As for the PvP equivalent, shards of glory. Well ANet just introduced a shards of glory gobbler so they happen to have the opposite opinion you do. They think that shards of glory are much too cheap and are trying to bring the price up to that of the memories of battle (which will never happen)

in WvW

hornswroggle.8023

I absolutely agree. You don’t have to spend anywhere near as many hours in WvW as we do in PvE to get a legendary.

Well… you can’t deny that PvE is the biggest part of GW2, and is intended to be both the main source and the main realm of usage for Legendary gear.
However: most components of both a precursor and the required Gifts boil down to basic materials, which you very much can farm up in WvW if you play it enough.
It then comes down to the completion items from PvE you can’t get anywhere else, which should be acquirable in about the same amount of time a PvEer needs to spend time in WvW to get his Gift of battle.

My point in the OP is that you get absolutely littered with one component, but have to grind out it’s otherwise identical counterpart. I don’t care wether one part of the equasion gets more difficult to acquire or the other getting more easy – I just want it to be (about) the same.

in WvW

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Well… you can’t deny that PvE is the biggest part of GW2, and is intended to be both the main source and the main realm of usage for Legendary gear.
However: most components of both a precursor and the required Gifts boil down to basic materials, which you very much can farm up in WvW if you play it enough.
It then comes down to the completion items from PvE you can’t get anywhere else, which should be acquirable in about the same amount of time a PvEer needs to spend time in WvW to get his Gift of battle.

My point in the OP is that you get absolutely littered with one component, but have to grind out it’s otherwise identical counterpart. I don’t care wether one part of the equasion gets more difficult to acquire or the other getting more easy – I just want it to be (about) the same.

But see that time disparity has always been there (after they removed WvW from Map Comp) it takes 4.3 hrs-8 hrs to get a Gift of Battle which can be Afk’ed, to acquire the equivalent gift, the Gift of Exploration you have to spend about 20 hrs+ see the problem? Now one thing you don’t understand is Shard of Glory are not the same as Memories of Battle, they seem similar but they aren’t, Shard of Glory are a Currency as well as a crafting component, Memories of Battle are not, they are soley a crafting component. That is one factor into why there is acquisition disparity.

in WvW

hornswroggle.8023

I was honestly expecting another thread about the GoB change.

@OP it costs 12 gold to buy the 225 memories of battle you will need to buy (since you get 25 from the 1 required reward track). Could they be added to WvW dailies? Sure. As for the PvP equivalent, shards of glory. Well ANet just introduced a shards of glory gobbler so they happen to have the opposite opinion you do. They think that shards of glory are much too cheap and are trying to bring the price up to that of the memories of battle (which will never happen)

First off: I like the GoB-Track. A lot. It gives incentive to actively play WvW in a meaningful way rather than simply buying it off a vendor. Also it gives me the feeling I’ve earned it and patches me up with a few Clovers along the way.

The biggest offender in this imbalance are PvP-League Tickets. But ANet have driven themselves into a corner when making Shards an additional Currency to buy the Asc. PvP armor, rather than directly using tickets.

The 10:1 conversion from Tickets to Shards is absurd to say the least. The Shard Gobbler as a so called “sink” is incredibly unrewarding (it’s worse than Mawdrey) and can’t handle the flood even in the slightest.

On top of that because the number of the League-Currency Ascended Shards of Glory is limited per Season, players who exceed in PvP can’t even spend their accrued Shards because they run out of Asc.Shards. (If that’s confusing – you’re not alone)

I don’t want SoG to be as scarce as MoB are right now – I also don’t want it be Vice-Versa. I want them to find a middle ground where they are a bit of work to gather but not a grind as MoB are right now, somewhere around the 12-15 hour playtime mark.

in WvW

hornswroggle.8023

But see that time disparity has always been there (after they removed WvW from Map Comp) it takes 4.3 hrs-8 hrs to get a Gift of Battle which can be Afk’ed, to acquire the equivalent gift, the Gift of Exploration you have to spend about 20 hrs+ see the problem? Now one thing you don’t understand is Shard of Glory are not the same as Memories of Battle, they seem similar but they aren’t, Shard of Glory are a Currency as well as a crafting component, Memories of Battle are not, they are soley a crafting component. That is one factor into why there is acquisition disparity.

True on the Currency-Component-Topic. In fact it is a part of the problem. ANet should have used PvP-Tickets rather than SoG (of course a tenth of the amount), and remove the option to exchange Shards for Tickets. Or at least limit the ratio. This vendor is the main flood gate for SoG at the moment – and it is wide open.

Now on the Exploration: You only need the 4 HoT maps for HoT Legendaries, which are much faster to complete, espacially if you bought the Hero Points in WvW. Granted it’s not full AfK, but as such a walking simulator it’s pretty close, and should be completable in the same 6-8h time window, even if you use 2 of those hours to do a Dragon Stand to get the PoIs there.

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

World completion gives 2 GoE, so you can cut that time in half if you are looking at the amount of timer for each GoE. Still though, I guess it could be changed to give 3 GoE. That would make it about 7 hours of work for each individual GoE if you finished world completion fairly quickly.

in WvW

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Did I miss information about the next weapon reveal?

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Of all the issues…

Anyhow, on the subject I’d like to suggest a mastery line or something that will allow WvW’ers to legendary craft for the new legendary without having to gather all those mastery points in PvE.

Be a good alternative to those PvErs that don’t want to sit through the story or other crap like that.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

hornswroggle.8023

Did I miss information about the next weapon reveal?

No. But wih the new release model for HoT-Legendaries we can be fairly certain that they will be implemented, the question remains when. I’m just collecting what I can in advance.