The end of the WvW Roamer?

in WvW

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

Perhaps this is specifically related to my server but I have noticed that since the season began, the ability to be a solo or small team roamer appears not to be viable anymore. In the last few days, every time I try to solo roam or join up with a small group to do scouting missions, we always run into a massive zerg. It looks as if there is little place in WvW anymore for a roamer. Is it just me or is the zerg the only real method of playing in WvW now?

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

in WvW

Posted by: Typhus.3502

Typhus.3502

Try hitting the zerg at its tail, instead of at it’s front.

[TW] Pumped

in WvW

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

But I’m a Warrior that uses perplexity runes! Everyone tells me how OP my class is so I figured I could survive a head-on assault.

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Try EU.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: arKRazor.8654

arKRazor.8654

Still fun to be had, just go in with expectation that you’ll routinely run into 40+ taking a camp.

Halfpint Sapper – Poorly-traited Asuran Engineer/CatHound/Part-time Warbanner

Devona’s Rest [OHai][GloB]

in WvW

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

Always a risky proposition if this prompts the zerg to turn around on you.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: cazo.5018

cazo.5018

This is basically why I roam as a thief. Not because I feel like running from loosing fights when I’m fighting a few people, but because I got tired of having 20 zerglings jump on my back.

I’m hoping Edge of the Mists is more roam-friendly. The ruins in the Borderlands was a great change, and Edge looks to take it further.

in WvW

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

Shouldn’t be hard to roam on a warrior, great mobility allows you to try to take on 1vX. Roaming isn’t dead, it’s harder no doubt but it’s still there.

in WvW

Posted by: Felix.2613

Felix.2613

But I’m a Warrior that uses perplexity runes! Everyone tells me how OP my class is so I figured I could survive a head-on assault.

Only if you use Stomp, else you actually can’t. So it’s not as OP as people say.

in WvW

Posted by: Felix.2613

Felix.2613

Always a risky proposition if this prompts the zerg to turn around on you.

There’s always one or two falling behind, it’s like the wilderbeast on the savannah. Sometimes the zerg even says MUH MUH

And they smell bad when there’s alot of them.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Perhaps this is specifically related to my server but I have noticed that since the season began, the ability to be a solo or small team roamer appears not to be viable anymore. In the last few days, every time I try to solo roam or join up with a small group to do scouting missions, we always run into a massive zerg. It looks as if there is little place in WvW anymore for a roamer. Is it just me or is the zerg the only real method of playing in WvW now?

Come Vabbi. We’re still rolling small scale and fighting hard, never giving up.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Vabbi in EU is probably the last server with small scale. And it is because they dont fight servers with high wvw population like RoS,DZ and DL, even RoF is blobby now, but mainly because we mostly fight blobs from DL and DZ.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Roaming is a risky job. As is scouting. Anything that involves wandering the fields unaccompanied means high risk of being killed by one or multiple enemies. As someone who scouts regularly, I find the best thing you can do is avoid roads and paths zergs will regularly travel.
Since scouts are more about keeping tabs on the enemy and less about flipping camps and sentry’s, my job is a lot easier than yours. But I don’t have a lot of trouble staying alive so long as I stay as far as possible from frequented grounds. I find taking routes behind hills and swimming through rivers at the very bottom to be really good ways of keeping out of sight. I’m not a thief either not only that I’m also a glass cannon. So being spotted won’t end well for me.
I wouldn’t say by any means it’s the end of the roamer. Just that with the higher level of people entering WvW, it means we’ll need to get more crafty. If anything, it’s the end of the original roamer and the beginning of a new breed.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.9641

Shadow.9641

I also donĀ“t think, that roaming is at the end. I believe the end of season will change a lot, especially the numbers in WvW, general lower numbers are equal to get better roaming possibilities and more good fights.

Big Heimdal
Pikeneer

in WvW

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

I don’t do a lot of roaming, but whenever my guildies aren’t on I do solo roaming through the ruins and sometimes camps, and I haven’t really encountered too many zergs in silver league.. then again I play at night!

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in WvW

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

In bronze league roaming is amazing.