The new generation of voip

in WvW

Posted by: Fairy Pinkett.4982

Fairy Pinkett.4982

I’ve been playing mmos for 9 years or so, My height was during my Aion Online Faction v Faction days.
I’ve used Teamspeak for raiding/wars, skype for friends, and I’ve dropped both to pick up the newer generation of VOIP, Discord.

It’s better, sleeker, easier to use, less complicated, and comes bundled in a nice gamer build casing.
TS3 for myself atleast, and many that came to discord is just.. worse.
Many of us view it as a complicated difficult software that is just really out-dated, the main “force” behind TS vs Discord is money spent?

Alot of TS3 vets spent money on it in the past, and don’t wish to leave it now?

You’re hurting your servers to stick to the past, move forward into the future so that you may invite new players to interact with you. I’ve never had someone under the age of 30 go back to TS3 after using discord.
(I say under the age of, there was a period of time where I was briefly friends with a 47 year old gamer who sat on TS for years, and he just couldn’t do discord.)

Now to explain something, discord has settings for low-latency usage if you find it is hard for you to use. It also has a very intelligent layout and options for the advanced and simple users. You can turn on discord developer mode to access a slew of information and settings that would further allow you to customize it. Discord is also adding new features every few months, and it is open for developers to code into and create bots out of.
For free, they actually say “hey heres our code go crazy and have a good time.” in many forms and ways, even allowing for mods such as better discord until they can provide what it does.

If you’re not using discord, I’d suggest you give it a chance.

Attachments:

Temple Community Gaming’s Leader &
Glimmering Temple [CD]’s Leader for Gw2.

in WvW

Posted by: Fairy Pinkett.4982

Fairy Pinkett.4982

Oh god so many errors, that’s what I get for typing this in a rush before I go to work.
I’ll edit it to fix issues when I get home. At least the general message is there.

Temple Community Gaming’s Leader &
Glimmering Temple [CD]’s Leader for Gw2.

in WvW

Posted by: neven.3785

neven.3785

A lot of guilds have been switching to discord not because its better, but because its free and easy to use. Another major reason is they can run more private and don’t need to deal with trolls as often. However this behaviour fragments server communities. I’ve noticed that on the two servers im on, both have seen significant drop in activity on their TS3 community. I personally have stopped hosting my own backup team speak because discord was a no brainer solution.

Another advantage is it can eliminate guilds using Forums and facebook to communicate outside of game and pass on important information. With some overactive community though, its impossible to keep up with all day :P

Perhaps use your initial post to also document GW2 Community discords. Rules and acceptable behaviour do vary community to community…

Here are a couple to get started

GW2WvW: https://discord.gg/Re28ac
Maguuma: https://discord.gg/PP43SBb – Still primarily uses ts3, but discord is set up for the progressive folks

in WvW

Posted by: zectra.6978

zectra.6978

Guild uses Discord for txt capabilities only. We can pin builds in chat, link videos that are auto embedded etc, that way on lunch breaks we can still spend our time bsing or working on builds and junk.

[APS][NV]Vasnia, Commander
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

There is one specific feature some of us are waiting for. Cc.

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I like discord but without Cc a lot of servers aren’t going to use it full time, especially with all the idiots that don’t know the difference between map and team chat making it impossible to use team chat to communicate with other tags.

Sidenote, it really doesn’t make sense that map chat gets suppressed but team chat doesn’t. That’s really kittening backwards.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in WvW

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

I like discord but without Cc a lot of servers aren’t going to use it full time, especially with all the idiots that don’t know the difference between map and team chat making it impossible to use team chat to communicate with other tags.

Sidenote, it really doesn’t make sense that map chat gets suppressed but team chat doesn’t. That’s really kittening backwards.

Yeah, no CComs is a big one. If you can trade stocks on Discord, why not implement CC of some kind. Though I haven’t checked for any 3rd party addons myself. Maybe there is?

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers

in WvW

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

Tried it. Meh. Whatever. It works.

I get that it’s a bit better than TS, but IMO it’s not enough better that you’ll have any luck getting people to switch. If I were making a game community chat for a new game, I’d probably choose it over TS3, but the fact is, all these TS servers already exist and have large communities built up.

I predict you’ll have no luck getting a critical mass of people to switch unless the existing servers shut down or are unavailable for weeks.