Tie Breaker?

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Silas.8630

Silas.8630

Q:

Given the way silver league is shaping up, I would love to see a dev response to how the league will be decided in the event of a tie.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

A:

If there is a tie, each server will be awarded the rewards for that place. e.g. if NSP and IoJ tie for 8th each will receive 8th place rewards.

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

The same way ANet solves everything – RNG

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

One server’s score will be nerfed the other buffed.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

The same way ANet solves everything – RNG

As funny as this is… I can’t say I’d be very surprised.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I would imagine they’d use server rating at final count to decide a tie.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

or they leave it a tie, is there a need for a winner?

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

Since there is a reward for winning, yes there does need to be a winner. Unless they give the reward to both servers, which is an option.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Could sum up the points of the matches.

Ranger | Elementalist

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Since there is a reward for winning, yes there does need to be a winner. Unless they give the reward to both servers, which is an option.

I’d bet every gold I have on this. There is no way their going to institute a tie-breaker, the amount of anger and forum rage that would come would be unimaginable.

They’ll just give the rewards to both servers.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

My bet is it will be 1st(a), 1st(b), and 3rd place.

IE: Tie for first, with both getting the rewards. To try and tie it to overall scores (as has been suggested before) would just encourage noobish play and bad behavior.

Mag Server Leader

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

They need to tell us what the tie breaker will be. I am pretty sure they didn’t think there would be a tie, but now that it looks like SBI will most likely beat FA in week 7, leaving the silver league with a tie for 1st.

They need to tell us, so we know how to better position ourselves for that, if it happens.

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

They need to tell us what the tie breaker will be. I am pretty sure they didn’t think there would be a tie, but now that it looks like SBI will most likely beat FA in week 7, leaving the silver league with a tie for 1st.

They need to tell us, so we know how to better position ourselves for that, if it happens.

That’s the idea here, we can posture till the cows come home but I’m hoping a dev can just give us a straight answer.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

Lets all not forget how fast SBI fair weathers flee though as we saw pre-league. The organized guilds will need to push kitten SBI over the weekend to maintain it close to keep fair weathers active.

Isle Of Janthir

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

Lets all not forget how fast SBI fair weathers flee though as we saw pre-league. The organized guilds will need to push kitten SBI over the weekend to maintain it close to keep fair weathers active.

This is very true, but we’ve also gotten some fresh transfers who hopefully won’t run at the first sign of a challenge.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Banzie.5248

This is very true, but we’ve also gotten some fresh transfers who hopefully won’t run at the first sign of a challenge.

Just some friendly advice. You’re SEA time slot will be in trouble if all they do is pvd. I’ve honestly seen nothing but poor showing in fighting terms from this week— now there could be many factors to this as well such as build testing, alts, k train mode,etc. Just want to make you guys aware. Don’t know if it’s cause easy week or what.

Isle Of Janthir

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

Just some friendly advice. You’re SEA time slot will be in trouble if all they do is pvd. I’ve honestly seen nothing but poor showing in fighting terms from this week— now there could be many factors to this as well such as build testing, alts, k train mode,etc. Just want to make you guys aware. Don’t know if it’s cause easy week or what.

Meh, I don’t play that time slot so I wouldn’t know, but many of us are finding other things to do out of sheer boredom the last few weeks. Thanks for the advice just the same.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

Well, in the match up with FA and DB, our SEA is fine. DB has a nice SEA presence, and when they log off, there are some PvD time. The problem comes in the unemployment time, from 1pm to 8pm. That is where FA was able to pull away from us in the first match up (on Tuesday, afternoon).

But, if we manage to hold our own during the night, and out tick them during overnight hours, we will be ok.

Remember, they only beat YB by 80k, and I believe most of that came during the week. We are doing much better against YB.

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Skroo.1560

Skroo.1560

1st place: 1 yellow, 2 greens, 12 dust

Does it matter?

Skroo [POV][ROLL] – Yak’s Bend

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Andrew,
Many YB walked away this week and didn’t last week. The differential means nothing……

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

Does it matter?

There is going to be some form of cosmetic reward indicating what place someone ended up during the season, (I’ve heard either a mini or a finisher) so it’s not all just useless salvage-kit fodder. No it doesn’t really matter, but call it intellectual curiosity about whether this possibility is even on Anet’s radar.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Banzie.5248

Does it matter?

There is going to be some form of cosmetic reward indicating what place someone ended up during the season, (I’ve heard either a mini or a finisher) so it’s not all just useless salvage-kit fodder. No it doesn’t really matter, but call it intellectual curiosity about whether this possibility is even on Anet’s radar.

Finisher, A mini dolyak is within the chest that is granted to everyone who finished the meta.

Isle Of Janthir

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

1st, 2nd and 3rd place are probably locked with no ties. It doesn’t much matter past that. I am pretty sure this will be the correct power rankings despite the scoring in the end:

FA
SBI
YB
BP
DB
EB
CD
NS
IoJ

The last two could flip/flop.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

1st, 2nd and 3rd place are probably locked with no ties. It doesn’t much matter past that. I am pretty sure this will be the correct power rankings despite the scoring in the end:

FA
SBI
YB
BP
DB
EB
CD
NS
IoJ

The last two could flip/flop.

For those of you keeping score at home, if SBI beats FA during week 7, the points will be tied.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Banzie.5248

I would say nsp will beat ioj again but that’s probably not the case, they took the lead last minute after a demoralizing week for us as a server. The simple fact it took them so long to get the lead over us shows we still got fight in us.

Isle Of Janthir

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

I could see them doing a countback, whomever won the match prior between the two wins.

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Remember, they only beat YB by 80k, and I believe most of that came during the week. We are doing much better against YB.

According to Mos, FA beat YB by 97k. YB is not trying this week. Also, the 3rd server (IoJ) is much, much smaller than the 3rd server last week (CD). CD has off-hour presence, IoJ doesn’t. Completely different match dynamic.

I know you guys have received a whole heap of transfers over the past 2 weeks so you guys will surely be stronger. We’ll just have to see whether FA can keep up, since they won’t have the pve’ers to back them up next time.

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

I know you guys have received a whole heap of transfers over the past 2 weeks so you guys will surely be stronger. We’ll just have to see whether FA can keep up, since they won’t have the pve’ers to back them up next time.

I’m not sure I would call it a “heap” of transfers. It’s been 3 guilds of about 25-30 each.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

For those of you keeping score at home, if SBI beats FA during week 7, the points will be tied.

That would be a pretty big upset. FA beat SBI pretty handily (almost 20 percent more points) the last time they met. Things do change and I suppose anything is possible… like SBI or FA losing a match before week 7 which is REALLY unlikely.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

I’m not sure I would call it a “heap” of transfers. It’s been 3 guilds of about 25-30 each.

Do you guys make wagon noises when you run around the map?

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Banzie.5248

They do, And then when you slam into then it sounds like a bunch of wood shattering and flying away from your zerg thats already outmanned 3:1 and you still win.

(But seriously, they have a few decent guilds at least that provide a challenge. Most though are just band wagoners looking to pvdoor to victory sadly)

Isle Of Janthir

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew,
Many YB walked away this week and didn’t last week. The differential means nothing……

Did YB walk away the whole weekend? Cause you were more competitive with FA during the weekend?

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

They do, And then when you slam into then it sounds like a bunch of wood shattering and flying away from your zerg thats already outmanned 3:1 and you still win.

(But seriously, they have a few decent guilds at least that provide a challenge. Most though are just band wagoners looking to pvdoor to victory sadly)

Thanks for keeping it on topic.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Silas.8630

That would be a pretty big upset. FA beat SBI pretty handily (almost 20 percent more points) the last time they met. Things do change and I suppose anything is possible… like SBI or FA losing a match before week 7 which is REALLY unlikely.

For more offtopic nonsense: point differentials in WvW mean next to nothing. Once the outcome of the match has been decided the vast majority of losing servers tend to lose the motivation for play for ppt, or play at all. This is true for pretty much every matchup. The only thing the differential really indicates is how early in the week the losing side gave up.

SBI
[DR]

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

I can almost guarantee you that they will reward both servers the same in the event of a tie. There’s really no other way to do it at this point, given the fact that it wasn’t spelled out ahead of time.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

If there is a tie, each server will be awarded the rewards for that place. e.g. if NSP and IoJ tie for 8th each will receive 8th place rewards.

It would be better if you rewarded people by their own effort. You have almost zero control about how your server is doing in the league even if you play 24/7 in WvW.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Tibstrike.2974

Tibstrike.2974

I can almost guarantee you that they will reward both servers the same in the event of a tie. There’s really no other way to do it at this point, given the fact that it wasn’t spelled out ahead of time.

You are a god-like prophet. No more than 6 minutes and it was confirmed by Devon!

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

The problem comes in the unemployment time, from 1pm to 8pm. That is where FA was able to pull away from us in the first match up (on Tuesday, afternoon).

This exactly. If SBI can find a way to limit FA’s PPT during European and middle of the Atlantic Ocean time, we will be competitive. If not, FA takes it.

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

It would be better if you rewarded people by their own effort. You have almost zero control about how your server is doing in the league even if you play 24/7 in WvW.

And how exactly would you measure that?

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The achievements keep tracking progress even if they are completed, so it would be easy to calculate rewards by your progress towards critical WvW objectives such as towers flipped, dolyaks killed, camps captured,… Only challange would be to to develop a formula which make the rewards scale properly

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Evilzara.6378

Evilzara.6378

If the first two servers tie (let’s say FA and SBI) does that mean the 3rd place server will get the 2nd place rewards?

Commander Evilzara of The Black Tides [TBT]

Stormbluff Isle

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

The achievements keep tracking progress even if they are completed, so it would be easy to calculate rewards by your progress towards critical WvW objectives.

Rewarding people is nice and all ‘cause we have to pay the bills but let’s not get too Big Brother on how we’re doing. The ultimate reward is the fun of WvW (and it is fun).

Gate of Madness

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

If the first two servers tie (let’s say FA and SBI) does that mean the 3rd place server will get the 2nd place rewards?

yes, if FA and SBI are tied at the end they are both labeled as being “1st” so they both get 1st place rewards, then the next server or server’s are labeled as 2nd, etc.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Devon, since you used 8th place as a example, would this be the same for all placements? If say 2 server tied for 1st, would they both receive the 1st place rewards?

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Liquid.9672

Devon, since you used 8th place as a example, would this be the same for all placements? If say 2 server tied for 1st, would they both receive the 1st place rewards?

Seeing as I am a god-like prophet, I will answer this. Yes, my son.

[KnT] – Blackgate

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

So hypothetically FA and SBI could tie, both get top silver rewards, one moves into gold league for second season and the other might be left in silver league to get top rewards again?

Serenity now~Insanity later

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Liquid.9672

So hypothetically FA and SBI could tie, both get top silver rewards, one moves into gold league for second season and the other might be left in silver league to get top rewards again?

Keep in mind that Season 2 will not happen until sometime in 2014. Much will change between the end of Season 1 and then.

[KnT] – Blackgate

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Good point…..15

Serenity now~Insanity later

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Liston.9708

Andrew,

Did YB walk away the whole weekend? Cause you were more competitive with FA during the weekend?

Tie Breaker?

in WvW

Liston.9708

Many did as early as saturday or at least changed their strategy to not worry about ppt. I know our guild did and we have a pretty decent sized presence in wvw….