Tournament: Anyone else burned out?

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

-You know/knew what WvW (an imbalanced mess, in regards to ppt as it related to coverage issues)
-You knew the season was going to be 9 weeks long.
-You knew the new matchup system would produce less variation in week-to-week matchups….

Now I am no ANET apologist by any stretch, but c’mon people, use your brain…

So we should shut up and not say anything? Players left because of S1 more players will leave because of S2 (including myself), we need to make sure they get appropriate feedback.

No you need to realize that Seasons are the only trick pony Anet has for WvW, and as such will more than likely continue in their mediocrity in the future.

Instead of ramming your head into a gate in the chase of glorious PPT, you could realize that WvW is a sandbox and it is whatever you make of it. If more people did this instead of drinking the koolaid and pvgating their way to a “win”, then this game would actually have more variety and more retention.

Everyone has the chance to get “burned out”, but it is the PPT-tryhards that usually get it the worst. The people that run around looking for fights, or just to have fun in general seem to be more immune to it.

Playing for fights is great in theory. However with the serious population and coverage imbalance even that only exists in certain scenarios.

The only way you can play for fights is if there are people to fight against. My favorite matches are the ones where we are the smaller server – then we can find fights. But when we are the more populous server there aren’t as many people to fight.

Compounding this issue is the fact that fairweathers come into the match where we are the strongest server making the situation even worse.

The onus is on Anet to make changes to correct issues in the game. The only way they’re going to know there are issues is if people tell them.

in WvW

Posted by: bob.8632

bob.8632

I feel like some of you have not been here the past 2 years, they are well aware of the issues…Sure we can keep throwing them at them, but the onus at this point has shifted to the players. Unfair, I agree, but you are kidding yourself if you think ANET has the desire or ability to truly fix any of the inherit issues WvW has always had.

The trend you will see moving forward, is more and more people xferring up in tiers to “find fights”, just as they have been doing for the last year.

Fairweathers don’t compound problems (unless they are making queues, etc), they make more enemies for you to wipe.

in WvW

Posted by: Basch.1347

Basch.1347

Oh I absolutely agree….The problem is, the only thing worse is the player base that continues to “know what they are getting into” and still be surprised when it “is what it is”.

-You know/knew what WvW (an imbalanced mess, in regards to ppt as it related to coverage issues)
-You knew the season was going to be 9 weeks long.
-You knew the new matchup system would produce less variation in week-to-week matchups….

Now I am no ANET apologist by any stretch, but c’mon people, use your brain…

Problem here is that people aren’t simply going to stop playing WvW for 9 weeks. That’s quite a long vacation. If the tournament was a week or two long, then sure. The fact that ANet used it as a filler made the season moot from the start. They made a stew of achievements, free transfers, and prolonged, unchanging matchups and expected something good out of it? Well, they made money, so I guess it was all okay.

They should have called it a “tournament” not a “season” and made it 2 weeks long.

- Make every league elimination and reward every server the same, with some tiny extra boon for the winner. Gold NA would be locked T1 and T2 and decided in the first week, with a winner in each tier.

- Give winning players rewards based upon server association prior to the tournament, not during it, and no free transfers in a hazardous attempt to shake things up.

- Making the tournament 1-2 weeks long will prevent mass exodus of players to higher tiers due to the short duration. FA wouldn’t have lost a large portion of guilds if this had been the case. 9 weeks too long.

Yes, winners are probably already decided before it even begins, but there’s still a chance for a server to pull off a coup to take the win. You still get the same shenanigans as usual in WvW, but no added shenanigans from an failing swiss-style point system. You’re creating a phenomenon within a failed system (WvW), so don’t expect the phenomenon to be better than the system.

FA

(edited by Basch.1347)

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

Fairweathers don’t compound problems (unless they are making queues, etc), they make more enemies for you to wipe.

Wha?

Fairweathers make already existing population issues even worse. They make the tougher matches worse by not showing up and leading to getting steamrolled. Then they make the easier matches worse by showing up so you are now doing the steamrolling, which is even worse than being steamrolled.

If they did the opposite it would be helping – show up for the tough matches and stay away for the easier matches.

And expecting players to do anything is not going to happen. Aside from what you mentioned – keep transferring up so that there are fewer and fewer servers. But even that doesn’t solve the issue – just look at SoS.

in WvW

bob.8632

Wha?

Fairweathers make already existing population issues even worse. They make the tougher matches worse by not showing up and leading to getting steamrolled. Then they make the easier matches worse by showing up so you are now doing the steamrolling, which is even worse than being steamrolled.

If they did the opposite it would be helping – show up for the tough matches and stay away for the easier matches.

And expecting players to do anything is not going to happen. Aside from what you mentioned – keep transferring up so that there are fewer and fewer servers. But even that doesn’t solve the issue – just look at SoS.

Oh look you mean in terms of PPT…No one cares about PPT…LOL

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

Wha?

No I mean in terms of the fights. Are you saying you like to steamroll your opponents and end up playing PvD?

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Im still burnt out from season one and never came back. Probably never will wvw again. I used to be a hardcore wvwer.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

I think the tournaments are very very kitten server communities.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Some people care about PPT and winning the tournament. Some players have burned themselves out playing in the tournament. We aren’t all the same and there are other ways to enjoy (or not) GW2.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

bob.8632

Wha?

No I mean in terms of the fights. Are you saying you like to steamroll your opponents and end up playing PvD?

Sounds like you need to find a better server, cause all the “matchup” talk does not really matter if you have a core group that shows up to fight every week.

Also if your opponents get steamrolled, L2Roam?

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

Wha?

Sounds like you need to find a better server, cause all the “matchup” talk does not really matter if you have a core group that shows up to fight every week.

Also if your opponents get steamrolled, L2Roam?

I don’t like roaming, I find it boring.

So I guess you’re right, I could bandwagon to Tier 1 to find relatively even fights. But I don’t want to do that so I’ll probably just quit. Maybe come back if Anet ever starts giving a crap about WvW.

in WvW

bob.8632

Some people care about PPT and winning the tournament. Some players have burned themselves out playing in the tournament. We aren’t all the same and there are other ways to enjoy (or not) GW2.

Only new players and a couple of servers in T1…Anyone that has played this game for even 1year should understand by now that PPT is influenced by coverage along with so many ridiculous variables that it is pointless to play for it.

Anyone else is borderline delusional.

in WvW

Posted by: Luranni.9470

Luranni.9470

I’d like to give a big THANK YA MUCHLY! to FSP for bringing the fight, hard, to Gandara. The week and the following reset you guys pushed made for the most fun of the season. It’s a crying darn shame that any of that effort is besmirched by the actions of a few.

I was very meh entire season tbh (as were a lot of the original Gandarans due to the server stack) but your big push made us wake up and pay attention.

Luranni
Perish [FLEE]
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Yes I think it is too long. One month probably would have been better.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

So this has been my first tournament. I was there at the start, wide eyed and eager to fight for the pride of my server. Throughout April, I poured as much effort as I could into the tournament. But for the past week or two, I’ve started dreading the experience. The feeling of obligation to put in as much time as you possibly can, taking away from many other aspects of the game, is really starting to get to me. Two months is just a long kitten time, and I don’t think it should be that way for future tournaments. I would rather see a series of 10 three day matches over one month, rather than the 8 one week matches we’re seeing this time around.

What are your thoughts on the length of the current tournament, and what do you think should happen in that regard for future tournaments?

This is my second tourney and I am not burned out.

If people aren’t pacing themselves in WvW, that’s a personal responsibility issue, not a gaming issue.

Go for a walk.

Clean your room.

Do the dishes.

Do the laundry.

Talk to your friends.

Spend time with family and friends.

Go into WvW bright eyed again…

All of these are great suggestions.

This all sounds like a lot of fun.

Except for the last one.

Then you are the one in a rut, not the game.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

If the achievements can be achieved in less than a week, and they can, the tournament shoud last a week.

Achievements need to be there for people to be “interested” in any area, including WvW. Just look at what happened when too many could not get into Tequatl – talk about a drop off… It’s the achievements that make any part of the game “interesting” and not a grindy bore.

A major change in achievements would “fix” a lot of WvW’s woes.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

in WvW

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

I like how we have spent 7.5 weeks in WvW only to have the LS Patch destroy the last week and a half of the tourney. GG

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

Aka purged all your PvErs

Commander Nachonix